From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Veit Mueller
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 3:58 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Sailing to Florida

Hello All:

Thank you for all your advise.
We looked at the weather and ended up on the inside (west of gulf stream) route.
Cape Hateras was calm and many stars...we ducked into Beaufort (very nice people) for a day to let a strong S wind system pass and are sailing since Thursday morning South.
Basically always a little S current (~30fathom line), and ok conditions.
Hope to arrive on Ft Lauderdale tomorrow.

Cheers,
Veit
ATMAN SM215

Sent from vm iPad

On Nov 21, 2011, at 9:49 AM, "Kimberly Cerillo" <kcvabeach@yahoo.com <mailto:kcvabeach%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

We have sailed down to Florida (the Keys/Ft. Lauderdale) a few times. We pretty much always stay inside the stream. We feel that we can check out the different areas along the coast (we love Charleston and St. Augustine) and can duck in if the weather becomes adverse. We always choose our weather window wisely when going around Hatteras, and tend to be more cautious than most. We have been around Hatteras about 6 times and have not ever hit any adverse wind/seas. If you are cautious with your weather, the passage can be beautiful, however, if you are not cautious, it isn’t called the Graveyard of the Atlantic for nothing. We have friends that encountered 25-30’ seas off Hatteras and ended up turning back towards Norfolk.

We were home ported in the Little Creek area of Norfolk for a couple of years and the crab pots and fishing nets can be problematic in the Chesapeake as they can be found in channels and are as likely as not to be poorly marked (we have seen quite a few that have black floats instead of the day glow orange).

If you have the time, stay inside and stop at the many beautiful ports along the coast.

George and Kim

SM #353 Indecent