Re: [Amel] Navigation Charts

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

Hi Duncan, we have being running ENC charting software (very good and very cheap) with a GPS connection that has worked very well.  We also use C-map for our chart plotter that has worked very well and has NEVER not put us in the right place.  As to over lays with weather you can look at a number of GRIB files that will over lay... Once off shore it becomes a matter of how good you sat phone is. As SSB generally is to slow to get reliable information all the time.  We like C-map as it has a higher level/density of depths and always puts buoy way points on the safe side of the buoy. 

Good luck
Richard
SM 209 on Challenge for Sale in Annapolis

Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:37 AM
Subject: [Amel] Navigation Charts

I know enought about computers to be dangerous. I have an Apple Mac OS-X, 4g processor and 8g RAM and a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 with 2.5g processor and 4g RAM. I prefer the windows system for day to day use, but the Apple would be an option to move to the boat as a photo/entertainment/navigation station.

All I have from my old boat is some Imray Isolare paper charts. I am thinking of adding so modern charts that tie to the Amel 54 system. I particularly like the idea of having weather overlay on active charts.

Any suggestion on makers of charts and how either of these systems could interface?

Duncan

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.