Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Fuel capacity

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

Hi John & Anne,

unless you are going to motor for days on end, you should have no worries about the fuel capacity. I have made two Atlantic crossings in SM2000's, one in the Trades and the other across the N.Atlantic and probably only used 1/8th of the capacity on the first and less than that on the second, when I had a wind generator and solar panels fitted. I no longer carry any spare cans of fuel. I can put the space saved to better use, though for more remote parts of the world, cans will be useful where you cannot get fuel that easily or even at a dock. You could work on about 1 imperial gallon per hour when motoring at 7 knots. It seems to work out that way for me.

Always best to fill it up of course in case you get dismasted or blow the sails out! It can happen.

Good Luck

Ian Shepherd

SM # 414 Crusader