Anchors

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

Hi Ian,

I agree entirely with your remarks that the Spade is better that the Wasi
Bugel. When my Stainless Amel CQR came apart one night during a cold frontal
passagein the Bahamas, I replaced it with a 30 Kg Spade from West Marine.
The difference in holding was remarkable. Unfortunately I sold that anchor
with
my first boat.

The second boat came with a Wasi. It holds well, but the disadvantage is
that it seldom comes up to the bow roller the right way up! Have any seaweed
or mud on the crown, then forget it. You will have to make a trip to the bow
and twist the chain by hand which completely defeats the objective of being
able to handle the anchor from the cockpit. As you say, the tip weight on
the Spade is far superior to the Wasi, and I don't ever remember the Spade
arriving at the bow roller upside down.

I don't think that the swivel that is supplied with the Wasi helps the
situation either. I talked this over with three anchor suppliers at the
London Boat Show, and they all recommended removing the swivel. They all
thought that the swivel served little purpose and introduced a weak link in
the system. The wall thickness of most swivels where the pin goes through is
significantly weaker than a high quality shackle. Without the swivel, the
anchor stands a better chance of coming up the way it went down.

Speaking of anchors, does anyone agree that the primary bow roller has too
flat a profile? It only takes a small yaw for the chain to run off the side
of the roller which results in metal to metal contact and for the chain to
rub against the starboard side of the GRP chain gulley on the foredeck. A
deeper profiled roller would cure this problem. (This flat profile may be
peculiar to the latest boats produced. I don't remember the problem on the
first boat).

Incidentally, the price of the 30 Kg Spade at the show was significantly
cheaper than the West Marine price, though West may have lowered their price
from the $995 that I paid two years ago. However, with the Dollar going
south at the moment ..............

Regarding tack angles, you are spot on. Using Nobeltec software, I pre-plan
tacks at a 120 degree track angle and it usually it works out well. Yes you
will do better if the current is in your favour on one tack, but 120 degrees
is a good ball park figure.

I have Demi sails on my new boat. I have not yet made up my mind if they
are better or worse than the Gateff laminated sails that I had on the first
boat. Amel say that the new sails will allow you to point better, but I
really
have not noticed it. I have noticed a few strange looking wrinkles appearing
though which does cause me some concern over the long term.

Regards

Ian Shepherd
SM # 414 "Crusader"