Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Fuel capacity

Anne and John Hollamby <hollamby@...>

Dear Ian and Judy,
Thanks for your advice. If, as and when we do another ocean voyage, we
shall carry a lot of spare fuel in cans in the big locker to the port side
of the cockpit which should weight on the weather rail in the trade winds.
This would be possible as we have altered the lifelines on the transom to
take a cradle for our life raft. See the photo in the Bali Hai album.
We have never tried to fill the tank completely as we have yet to go long
distance so we cannot comment on that point. I suppose we are very
conscious of the risk of an overflow as our Oyster used to overflow over
the teak deck as well as sucking sea water in through the breather pipe
when motor sailing to sail closer on port tack in strong winds and seas.(
We altered the plumbing pretty quickly after getting rid of the water out
of the injection pump, luckily the water only got through after the boat
had been standing in harbour overnight).
There are times when I think that I have made a mistake in reading the
dipstick or in my arithmetic when the tank takes more than it should but on
the other hand it may be an optimistic meter on the fuel tanker!

Best wishes from Malta, Anne and John Bali Hai
SM2000/319