London Boat Show

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

Hi John,

I was not impressed with the London Boat Show at the new ExCel site. I never thought that much of Earls Court either, but at least it was on two levels and you could get a good idea of the layout and where you needed to go.

The trip out to Docklands was a bit of a mystery. The trick is to stay on the Bakerloo line all the way to Canning Town, then change to the DLR. We queued for almost 30 minutes to buy tickets. Only half the ticket kiosks were in operation. Get yours prior to arriving and you will get straight in. I found finding your way around very difficult. I wasted most of the day trying to fathom out where those people I wanted to see were located. Even with detailed instructions from the information desk, it was a maze. There are no overhead signs and many of the exhibitors had removed their stand numbers as it did not fit in with their logo!

All of the restaurants were booked out for lunch. The alternative sandwich bars etc were of dreadful quality. The outside boat display was very disappointing with very few yachts on display. I fact I got the impression that the show was very much a power boat show rather than a sail boat show, but so perhaps was Earls Court. The indoor wind surfing display was not working due to 'technical difficulties'.

I will never go back. The Southampton show is the one I really like, though if you want a really first class show that has everything and is well laid out and easy to navigate, I would recommend Düsseldorf.

No, Amel were not there, but they do attend Southampton.

Best Wishes

Ian