Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Annual Haul Out

kimberlt <kimberlt@...>

Gary,
Where are you located?

We rebuilt the bow thruster as we were getting water and oil coming into
the bilge due to the thruster leaking at the rear seal.
The rebuild is very straight forward if the boat is out of the water. If
you boat is in the water you can remove it by using the bow thruster
removal tools.
The removal of the thruster is covered in the manual.
Once you have the thruster out turn it upside down to drain the oil.
Having done this remove the prop. Behind this you will find a lip seal
similar to the one on the prop shaft except smaller. Just pry it out
grease a new one and install it. It can be pushed in very easily. It
appeared Amel uses some blue silicone to hold it in on the outside
surface.
On the thruster’s vertical shaft, you will find two foam seals that are
just removed by hand. Glue two new ones in place. Where the thruster
goes through the hull there is another lip seal held in by two screws.
Just remove this and install a new one. On top of this seal was another
spongy disk seal, which we also glued down. Then just fill the thruster
with point 3 (3 liters) of 90 weight oil.
I believe thrusters vary from boat to boat as Bel Ami, which was next to
me, took ¾ liter of oil, and has a different mounting arrangement. My
owner’s manual has a good drawing of the cross section of the bow
thruster.

Will you be in the virgins mid February?

Fair winds,
Eric
S/m 376 Kimberlite.