Date   

[Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe <yahoogroups@...>
 

John,
We also received the same email from that leading Turkish sailor and at first thought it was alarming. But we also are in contact with several cruising sailors most of whom have been in Turkey for at least 2 years. No one has reported any problems whatsoever. We also are in email and phone contact with several Turkish friends living in towns of less than 100,000 population and they also report no problems to date. We all understand what is happening politically in Turkey and realize that it is a fluid situation. We would not be bringing our pre-teen granddaughter to spend the summer sailing with us in Turkey if we felt there was any danger. If someone uses common sense and avoids demonstrations there should be no problem. The economy of Turkey relies heavily on tourism and does not want to kill that golden goose.

Judy
S/V BeBe

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Anne and John Hollamby " <annejohnholl@...> wrote:

Hello Bill, The news that was forwarded to me was from a leading Turkish sailor and on rereading it it does not talk directly of danger to tourists but of a seriously deteriorating situation. I would not have written to you if I had known that you have not actually been in Turkey for the past six months and I would not have used this forum if I had been able to find your address which Yahoo seems to protect assiduously.
It seems to me that the views of people like me who have been to Turkey in recent years are pretty irrelevant in the fast changing situation and I hope that there will be no more messages except from people actually in the country or in touch with people who are.

Best wishes, John, Bali Hai, SM 319, Malta

From: Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 6:09 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey


Respectfully, Stephen Hancock, I disagree.

First of all, when discussing the degree of safety & security, anyone using any analysis compares the known or familiar to the unknown. It is a logical process. As far as I know, there is no place that is totally safe, therefore, degrees of safety.

Secondly, to then continue your argument with a "comparison" of Islamist Arab radicals in Egypt who want more religion in their government to non-Arab Muslims in Turkey who are protesting for less religion in government, contradicts your first premise which was against comparing Chicago to Turkey.

We arrived in Turkey in April 2011. How long have you been there? Where are you? We should meet and compare information.

Oh, and by the way, there is no way we would have considered Egypt in 2011-current time...and we will not cruise Israel...possibly you can understand our decision process.

We are going to be cruising Turkey this summer with our pre-teen granddaughter, "BeBe." Now you know where the name of the boat came from. We have been touring the world for the last seven plus years. I am constantly amazed how intelligent people react to news that has been twisted to make a headline, or gain a "click."

All of the above is my opinion, based on my experience and research. I believe that each person should make decisions based on the best information available.

Selfishly, I hope that some sailors stay away from Turkey...it was a little crowded last season.

Best,

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, Yahoo! Mail <sammie.whammie@> wrote:

Just because cities in the U.S. are dangerous, like Chicago and Detroit does not mean areas in Turkey are worth risking your life to visit. I heard the same argument about Egypt and now you are never sure what to expect. Muslim extremists are every where and if you don't really know the area then you are putting yourself in danger, much like visiting Detroit. Great culture but now maybe not the time to visit for the novice.Â


________________________________


Â


John,

We have been in the US since Dec because of my cancer surgery in Feb. We return to Gocek on 1 July.

We do not consider things dangerous in Turkey. Remember, the protests are against the government's conservative swing to add more religion to government. Ataturk led the revolution which created a secular state. Most Turks want what Ataturk fought for. These protests are not unlike protests against too much government in the US. Look at the crime and murder rate in Turkey as compared to the US or UK before making a decision. You will be surprised at how much safer Turkey is. Also remember that it is very unlikely that you will be wihin 1000 miles of any protest while cruising Turkey.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, Sm2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, "John Hollamby" <annejohnholl@> wrote:

Hello Bill and Judy,
I have some friends who were going to spend a few days holiday in Turkey with their children.I have just received a couple of messages forwarded from Turks warning about the troubles from which it would appear that things could get worse not better on the basis that many are unhappy about the trend away from the secular state to an Islamic one.
Do you have any views for those who were intending to sail to Turkey this season?

Best wishes, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM319, Malta



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: [Amel] Amel 54 chain counter

ESTELLER
 

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Dimitris Krassopoulos" wrote:

I do not know the number where can I find it? However my boat is one
of the
last Amel 54 built and my problem is that I lost the measurement of
the
chain it indicates 0 all the time it is a Lewmar Autoanchor 560 V2 and
I
only used the measurement of the anchor as Amel has installed for me a
lewmar remote control.



Thanks



Dimitris



From: amelyachtowners@...
[mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Peter Forbes
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:15 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel] Amel 54 chain counter





Hi, Roque and Dimitros - can youtll me which serial numbers of Amel 54
you
have?

Peter Forbes
Amel 54 # 35 Carango in Gocek Turkey - very safe by the way.

Best wishes
*Peter Forbes*
+44 (0) 7836 209730
ppsforbes@...

On 24 June 2013 19:18, Roque ediroque@...
wrote:
What kind of problem, exactly?

Roque
Atica
Amel 54


2013/6/24 Dimitris dkra@... >

**


I am facing a problem with the chain counter. I found that the
magnet is
in place and the sensor as well. Can somebody help me? Perhaps I
need a
reset or a calibration.

Regards

Dimitris
Alma Libre Too
Amel 54

Hi Dimitris
Did you read the owners manual ?

You can get it in
http://www.lewmar.com/%5Cassets%5Cimg%5Cdataset%5CManual-AA560-Owner-Man\;
ual.pdf
<http://www.lewmar.com/%5Cassets%5Cimg%5Cdataset%5CManual-AA560-Owner-Ma\;
nual.pdf>
Perhaps you can found any interesting info in it
ORION is now in CORFOU, and I will return to she on 16 07 and then I
will sail in Ionian Islands two or three weeks before returnin to La
Grande Motte: will you be in Ionian?

Regards

José AMEL 54 ORION







------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]









[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Super Maramu Forecabin windows resealing

Graham Boyd
 

I am virtually certain I have leak in the stbd window of the fore cabin on my SM so I am going to take it off and reseal it. Before I do this has any one had any experience of removing these windows, and any top tips on how to make the job easier? Have removed many windows on other types of boat in the past but the way the SM windows are fitted don't look like the normal pattern on "lesser" yachts!

Graham
SM 140
Hong Kong


Re: [Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

Anne and John Hollamby <annejohnholl@...>
 

Hello Bill, The news that was forwarded to me was from a leading Turkish sailor and on rereading it it does not talk directly of danger to tourists but of a seriously deteriorating situation. I would not have written to you if I had known that you have not actually been in Turkey for the past six months and I would not have used this forum if I had been able to find your address which Yahoo seems to protect assiduously.
It seems to me that the views of people like me who have been to Turkey in recent years are pretty irrelevant in the fast changing situation and I hope that there will be no more messages except from people actually in the country or in touch with people who are.

Best wishes, John, Bali Hai, SM 319, Malta

From: Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 6:09 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey


Respectfully, Stephen Hancock, I disagree.

First of all, when discussing the degree of safety & security, anyone using any analysis compares the known or familiar to the unknown. It is a logical process. As far as I know, there is no place that is totally safe, therefore, degrees of safety.

Secondly, to then continue your argument with a "comparison" of Islamist Arab radicals in Egypt who want more religion in their government to non-Arab Muslims in Turkey who are protesting for less religion in government, contradicts your first premise which was against comparing Chicago to Turkey.

We arrived in Turkey in April 2011. How long have you been there? Where are you? We should meet and compare information.

Oh, and by the way, there is no way we would have considered Egypt in 2011-current time...and we will not cruise Israel...possibly you can understand our decision process.

We are going to be cruising Turkey this summer with our pre-teen granddaughter, "BeBe." Now you know where the name of the boat came from. We have been touring the world for the last seven plus years. I am constantly amazed how intelligent people react to news that has been twisted to make a headline, or gain a "click."

All of the above is my opinion, based on my experience and research. I believe that each person should make decisions based on the best information available.

Selfishly, I hope that some sailors stay away from Turkey...it was a little crowded last season.

Best,

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, Yahoo! Mail <sammie.whammie@...> wrote:

Just because cities in the U.S. are dangerous, like Chicago and Detroit does not mean areas in Turkey are worth risking your life to visit. I heard the same argument about Egypt and now you are never sure what to expect. Muslim extremists are every where and if you don't really know the area then you are putting yourself in danger, much like visiting Detroit. Great culture but now maybe not the time to visit for the novice.Â


________________________________


Â


John,

We have been in the US since Dec because of my cancer surgery in Feb. We return to Gocek on 1 July.

We do not consider things dangerous in Turkey. Remember, the protests are against the government's conservative swing to add more religion to government. Ataturk led the revolution which created a secular state. Most Turks want what Ataturk fought for. These protests are not unlike protests against too much government in the US. Look at the crime and murder rate in Turkey as compared to the US or UK before making a decision. You will be surprised at how much safer Turkey is. Also remember that it is very unlikely that you will be wihin 1000 miles of any protest while cruising Turkey.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, Sm2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, "John Hollamby" <annejohnholl@> wrote:

Hello Bill and Judy,
I have some friends who were going to spend a few days holiday in Turkey with their children.I have just received a couple of messages forwarded from Turks warning about the troubles from which it would appear that things could get worse not better on the basis that many are unhappy about the trend away from the secular state to an Islamic one.
Do you have any views for those who were intending to sail to Turkey this season?

Best wishes, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM319, Malta



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Motor lifting block on mizzen boom

Sailorman <kimberlite@...>
 

Hi,

Does anyone know the maker of the block ( I think it was originally a fiddle
block) that Amel uses on the end of mizzen boom to lift the Outboard out of
the stern locker ?

I believe it was on later model Amel Super Maramus



Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite




_____

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len>
.
SPAMfighter has removed 1640 of my spam emails to date.

Do you have a slow PC? <http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen>
Try a free scan!


Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

jjjk12s <jjjk12s@...>
 

My experience of Turkey is you that have to be particualarly careful of the Kilim sellers. Far too persuasive!

On a more sensible note...I realise the original question was asking Bill and Judy's specific opinion based on their experience but noonsite also has relevant country information if you haven't already seen it. They do note some theft from yachts in more popular anchorages. The same sort of thing you can get anywhere and nothing to do with the current political situation.

The question also brings a smile as it reminded me of when I worked for an environmental consultancy and had a contract in Turkey. I knew someone who had lived there and asked them about spending a night on my own in Istanbul between flights. The advice was that it was very safe and the people really friendly. To cut a long story short I ended up in a very dodgy bar, fending off a Russian prostitute called Madame Flicky Flicky and a bill for $160 for two beers that I couldn't pay. I got out of it in one piece despite my own naivety but the moral is there are risks both in giving advice and asking for it. I totally agree with Bill and Mikes comments plus, for anyone as naive as I used to be, don't join in large political demonstrations and don't accept invitations from strangers late at night to join them for a beer, however friendly they may be!

John Maramu #91

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "John Hollamby" <annejohnholl@...> wrote:

Hello Bill and Judy,
I have some friends who were going to spend a few days holiday in Turkey with their children.I have just received a couple of messages forwarded from Turks warning about the troubles from which it would appear that things could get worse not better on the basis that many are unhappy about the trend away from the secular state to an Islamic one.
Do you have any views for those who were intending to sail to Turkey this season?

Best wishes, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM319, Malta


Re: [Amel] Amel 54 chain counter

Dimitris Krassopoulos <dkra@...>
 

I do not know the number where can I find it? However my boat is one of the
last Amel 54 built and my problem is that I lost the measurement of the
chain it indicates 0 all the time it is a Lewmar Autoanchor 560 V2 and I
only used the measurement of the anchor as Amel has installed for me a
lewmar remote control.



Thanks



Dimitris



From: amelyachtowners@...
[mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Peter Forbes
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:15 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel] Amel 54 chain counter





Hi, Roque and Dimitros - can youtll me which serial numbers of Amel 54 you
have?

Peter Forbes
Amel 54 # 35 Carango in Gocek Turkey - very safe by the way.

Best wishes
*Peter Forbes*
+44 (0) 7836 209730
ppsforbes@... <mailto:ppsforbes%40gmail.com>

On 24 June 2013 19:18, Roque <ediroque@...
<mailto:ediroque%40gmail.com> > wrote:

What kind of problem, exactly?

Roque
Atica
Amel 54


2013/6/24 Dimitris <dkra@... <mailto:dkra%40otenet.gr> >

**


I am facing a problem with the chain counter. I found that the magnet is
in place and the sensor as well. Can somebody help me? Perhaps I need a
reset or a calibration.

Regards

Dimitris
Alma Libre Too
Amel 54







------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links




Re: [Amel] Amel 54 chain counter

Peter Forbes
 

Hi, Roque and Dimitros - can youtll me which serial numbers of Amel 54 you
have?

Peter Forbes
Amel 54 # 35 Carango in Gocek Turkey - very safe by the way.

Best wishes
*Peter Forbes*
+44 (0) 7836 209730
ppsforbes@...

On 24 June 2013 19:18, Roque <ediroque@...> wrote:

What kind of problem, exactly?

Roque
Atica
Amel 54


2013/6/24 Dimitris <dkra@...>

**


I am facing a problem with the chain counter. I found that the magnet is
in place and the sensor as well. Can somebody help me? Perhaps I need a
reset or a calibration.

Regards

Dimitris
Alma Libre Too
Amel 54







------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links




Re: [Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

Mike Johnson
 

Hi,
 
Bill is absolutely correct.  In essence it is for each individual to make their own assessment of the risks based on reputable sources of information and their own degree of experience.  Having made the choice it is incumbent on us to remain 'street wise' and ensure we are not exposed to unnecessary risks beyond what is normal in day to day life.
 
Don't be fooled by the camera lens narrow field of view - reporters are selling stories and tranquillity never gets good audience figures on 24 hour news channels!
 
Mike
 
Solitude
SM2K #461

From: Yahoo! Mail <sammie.whammie@...>
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Monday, 24 June 2013, 18:05
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

 
I agree that Turkey is a more European country then Egypt but to tell someone it is safe without knowing what to expect is a bit to much.  My point was that unless this area is very familiar to some one they must take precautions beyond someone with your experience. Maybe a guide.  These are great people with a great culture but unless you know the area then you are taking a chance. Also ask the Armenians if the Turks are always non violent.  You seem the think that we are all as worldly as you. I only wish it were so.  I would feel more safe there then most American big cities if I knew what you evidently know. " Cannons to the right, onward rode the light brigade"


________________________________


 

Respectfully, Stephen Hancock, I disagree.

First of all, when discussing the degree of safety & security, anyone using any analysis compares the known or familiar to the unknown. It is a logical process. As far as I know, there is no place that is totally safe, therefore, degrees of safety.

Secondly, to then continue your argument with a "comparison" of Islamist Arab radicals in Egypt who want more religion in their government to non-Arab Muslims in Turkey who are protesting for less religion in government, contradicts your first premise which was against comparing Chicago to Turkey.

We arrived in Turkey in April 2011. How long have you been there? Where are you? We should meet and compare information.

Oh, and by the way, there is no way we would have considered Egypt in 2011-current time...and we will not cruise Israel...possibly you can understand our decision process.

We are going to be cruising Turkey this summer with our pre-teen granddaughter, "BeBe." Now you know where the name of the boat came from. We have been touring the world for the last seven plus years. I am constantly amazed how intelligent people react to news that has been twisted to make a headline, or gain a "click."

All of the above is my opinion, based on my experience and research. I believe that each person should make decisions based on the best information available.

Selfishly, I hope that some sailors stay away from Turkey...it was a little crowded last season.

Best,

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, Yahoo! Mail <sammie.whammie@...> wrote:

Just because cities in the U.S. are dangerous, like Chicago and Detroit does not mean areas in Turkey are worth risking your life to visit. I heard the same argument about Egypt and now you are never sure what to expect. Muslim extremists are every where and if you don't really know the area then you are putting yourself in danger, much like visiting Detroit. Great culture but now maybe not the time to visit for the novice. 


________________________________


 


John,

We have been in the US since Dec because of my cancer surgery in Feb. We return to Gocek on 1 July.

We do not consider things dangerous in Turkey. Remember, the protests are against the government's conservative swing to add more religion to government. Ataturk led the revolution which created a secular state. Most Turks want what Ataturk fought for. These protests are not unlike protests against too much government in the US. Look at the crime and murder rate in Turkey as compared to the US or UK before making a decision. You will be surprised at how much safer Turkey is. Also remember that it is very unlikely that you will be wihin 1000 miles of any protest while cruising Turkey.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, Sm2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, "John Hollamby" <annejohnholl@> wrote:

Hello Bill and Judy,
I have some friends who were going to spend a few days holiday in Turkey with their children.I have just received a couple of messages forwarded from Turks warning about the troubles from which it would appear that things could get worse not better on the basis that many are unhappy about the trend away from the secular state to an Islamic one.
Do you have any views for those who were intending to sail to Turkey this season?

Best wishes, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM319, Malta




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: [Amel] Amel 54 chain counter

Roque
 

What kind of problem, exactly?

Roque
Atica
Amel 54


2013/6/24 Dimitris <dkra@...>

**


I am facing a problem with the chain counter. I found that the magnet is
in place and the sensor as well. Can somebody help me? Perhaps I need a
reset or a calibration.

Regards

Dimitris
Alma Libre Too
Amel 54



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: [Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

Stephen Hancock
 

I agree that Turkey is a more European country then Egypt but to tell someone it is safe without knowing what to expect is a bit to much.  My point was that unless this area is very familiar to some one they must take precautions beyond someone with your experience. Maybe a guide.  These are great people with a great culture but unless you know the area then you are taking a chance. Also ask the Armenians if the Turks are always non violent.  You seem the think that we are all as worldly as you. I only wish it were so.  I would feel more safe there then most American big cities if I knew what you evidently know. " Cannons to the right, onward rode the light brigade"


________________________________


 

Respectfully, Stephen Hancock, I disagree.

First of all, when discussing the degree of safety & security, anyone using any analysis compares the known or familiar to the unknown. It is a logical process. As far as I know, there is no place that is totally safe, therefore, degrees of safety.

Secondly, to then continue your argument with a "comparison" of Islamist Arab radicals in Egypt who want more religion in their government to non-Arab Muslims in Turkey who are protesting for less religion in government, contradicts your first premise which was against comparing Chicago to Turkey.

We arrived in Turkey in April 2011. How long have you been there? Where are you? We should meet and compare information.

Oh, and by the way, there is no way we would have considered Egypt in 2011-current time...and we will not cruise Israel...possibly you can understand our decision process.

We are going to be cruising Turkey this summer with our pre-teen granddaughter, "BeBe." Now you know where the name of the boat came from. We have been touring the world for the last seven plus years. I am constantly amazed how intelligent people react to news that has been twisted to make a headline, or gain a "click."

All of the above is my opinion, based on my experience and research. I believe that each person should make decisions based on the best information available.

Selfishly, I hope that some sailors stay away from Turkey...it was a little crowded last season.

Best,

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, Yahoo! Mail <sammie.whammie@...> wrote:

Just because cities in the U.S. are dangerous, like Chicago and Detroit does not mean areas in Turkey are worth risking your life to visit. I heard the same argument about Egypt and now you are never sure what to expect. Muslim extremists are every where and if you don't really know the area then you are putting yourself in danger, much like visiting Detroit. Great culture but now maybe not the time to visit for the novice. 


________________________________


 


John,

We have been in the US since Dec because of my cancer surgery in Feb. We return to Gocek on 1 July.

We do not consider things dangerous in Turkey. Remember, the protests are against the government's conservative swing to add more religion to government. Ataturk led the revolution which created a secular state. Most Turks want what Ataturk fought for. These protests are not unlike protests against too much government in the US. Look at the crime and murder rate in Turkey as compared to the US or UK before making a decision. You will be surprised at how much safer Turkey is. Also remember that it is very unlikely that you will be wihin 1000 miles of any protest while cruising Turkey.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, Sm2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, "John Hollamby" <annejohnholl@> wrote:

Hello Bill and Judy,
I have some friends who were going to spend a few days holiday in Turkey with their children.I have just received a couple of messages forwarded from Turks warning about the troubles from which it would appear that things could get worse not better on the basis that many are unhappy about the trend away from the secular state to an Islamic one.
Do you have any views for those who were intending to sail to Turkey this season?

Best wishes, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM319, Malta





Amel 54 chain counter

Dimitris <dkra@...>
 

I am facing a problem with the chain counter. I found that the magnet is in place and the sensor as well. Can somebody help me? Perhaps I need a reset or a calibration.

Regards

Dimitris
Alma Libre Too
Amel 54


Re: [Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

Mike Johnson
 

Hi John & Bill,
 
Let's not get carried away.  It's safer visiting Turkey than a lot of cities around the world - but we still go to them!
 
For good advice visit the UK FCO website.  The link for Turkey is: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey
 
Regards
 
Mike
 
Solitude
 
SM2K #461
 
 
 

From: Yahoo! Mail <sammie.whammie@...>
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Monday, 24 June 2013, 15:06
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

 
Just because cities in the U.S. are dangerous, like Chicago and Detroit does not mean areas in Turkey are worth risking your life to visit. I heard the same argument about Egypt and now you are never sure what to expect. Muslim extremists are every where and if you don't really know the area then you are putting yourself in danger, much like visiting Detroit. Great culture but now maybe not the time to visit for the novice. 


________________________________


 


John,

We have been in the US since Dec because of my cancer surgery in Feb. We return to Gocek on 1 July.

We do not consider things dangerous in Turkey. Remember, the protests are against the government's conservative swing to add more religion to government. Ataturk led the revolution which created a secular state. Most Turks want what Ataturk fought for. These protests are not unlike protests against too much government in the US. Look at the crime and murder rate in Turkey as compared to the US or UK before making a decision. You will be surprised at how much safer Turkey is. Also remember that it is very unlikely that you will be wihin 1000 miles of any protest while cruising Turkey.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, Sm2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, "John Hollamby" <annejohnholl@...> wrote:

Hello Bill and Judy,
I have some friends who were going to spend a few days holiday in Turkey with their children.I have just received a couple of messages forwarded from Turks warning about the troubles from which it would appear that things could get worse not better on the basis that many are unhappy about the trend away from the secular state to an Islamic one.
Do you have any views for those who were intending to sail to Turkey this season?

Best wishes, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM319, Malta
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


[Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe <yahoogroups@...>
 

Respectfully, Stephen Hancock, I disagree.

First of all, when discussing the degree of safety & security, anyone using any analysis compares the known or familiar to the unknown. It is a logical process. As far as I know, there is no place that is totally safe, therefore, degrees of safety.

Secondly, to then continue your argument with a "comparison" of Islamist Arab radicals in Egypt who want more religion in their government to non-Arab Muslims in Turkey who are protesting for less religion in government, contradicts your first premise which was against comparing Chicago to Turkey.

We arrived in Turkey in April 2011. How long have you been there? Where are you? We should meet and compare information.

Oh, and by the way, there is no way we would have considered Egypt in 2011-current time...and we will not cruise Israel...possibly you can understand our decision process.

We are going to be cruising Turkey this summer with our pre-teen granddaughter, "BeBe." Now you know where the name of the boat came from. We have been touring the world for the last seven plus years. I am constantly amazed how intelligent people react to news that has been twisted to make a headline, or gain a "click."

All of the above is my opinion, based on my experience and research. I believe that each person should make decisions based on the best information available.

Selfishly, I hope that some sailors stay away from Turkey...it was a little crowded last season.

Best,

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Yahoo! Mail <sammie.whammie@...> wrote:

Just because cities in the U.S. are dangerous, like Chicago and Detroit does not mean areas in Turkey are worth risking your life to visit. I heard the same argument about Egypt and now you are never sure what to expect. Muslim extremists are every where and if you don't really know the area then you are putting yourself in danger, much like visiting Detroit. Great culture but now maybe not the time to visit for the novice. 


________________________________


 


John,

We have been in the US since Dec because of my cancer surgery in Feb. We return to Gocek on 1 July.

We do not consider things dangerous in Turkey. Remember, the protests are against the government's conservative swing to add more religion to government. Ataturk led the revolution which created a secular state. Most Turks want what Ataturk fought for. These protests are not unlike protests against too much government in the US. Look at the crime and murder rate in Turkey as compared to the US or UK before making a decision. You will be surprised at how much safer Turkey is. Also remember that it is very unlikely that you will be wihin 1000 miles of any protest while cruising Turkey.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, Sm2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, "John Hollamby" <annejohnholl@> wrote:

Hello Bill and Judy,
I have some friends who were going to spend a few days holiday in Turkey with their children.I have just received a couple of messages forwarded from Turks warning about the troubles from which it would appear that things could get worse not better on the basis that many are unhappy about the trend away from the secular state to an Islamic one.
Do you have any views for those who were intending to sail to Turkey this season?

Best wishes, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM319, Malta



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: [Amel] Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

Stephen Hancock
 

Just because cities in the U.S. are dangerous, like Chicago and Detroit does not mean areas in Turkey are worth risking your life to visit. I heard the same argument about Egypt and now you are never sure what to expect. Muslim extremists are every where and if you don't really know the area then you are putting yourself in danger, much like visiting Detroit. Great culture but now maybe not the time to visit for the novice. 


________________________________


 


John,

We have been in the US since Dec because of my cancer surgery in Feb. We return to Gocek on 1 July.

We do not consider things dangerous in Turkey. Remember, the protests are against the government's conservative swing to add more religion to government. Ataturk led the revolution which created a secular state. Most Turks want what Ataturk fought for. These protests are not unlike protests against too much government in the US. Look at the crime and murder rate in Turkey as compared to the US or UK before making a decision. You will be surprised at how much safer Turkey is. Also remember that it is very unlikely that you will be wihin 1000 miles of any protest while cruising Turkey.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, Sm2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, "John Hollamby" <annejohnholl@...> wrote:

Hello Bill and Judy,
I have some friends who were going to spend a few days holiday in Turkey with their children.I have just received a couple of messages forwarded from Turks warning about the troubles from which it would appear that things could get worse not better on the basis that many are unhappy about the trend away from the secular state to an Islamic one.
Do you have any views for those who were intending to sail to Turkey this season?

Best wishes, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM319, Malta



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe <yahoogroups@...>
 

John,

We have been in the US since Dec because of my cancer surgery in Feb. We return to Gocek on 1 July.

We do not consider things dangerous in Turkey. Remember, the protests are against the government's conservative swing to add more religion to government. Ataturk led the revolution which created a secular state. Most Turks want what Ataturk fought for. These protests are not unlike protests against too much government in the US. Look at the crime and murder rate in Turkey as compared to the US or UK before making a decision. You will be surprised at how much safer Turkey is. Also remember that it is very unlikely that you will be wihin 1000 miles of any protest while cruising Turkey.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, Sm2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "John Hollamby" <annejohnholl@...> wrote:

Hello Bill and Judy,
I have some friends who were going to spend a few days holiday in Turkey with their children.I have just received a couple of messages forwarded from Turks warning about the troubles from which it would appear that things could get worse not better on the basis that many are unhappy about the trend away from the secular state to an Islamic one.
Do you have any views for those who were intending to sail to Turkey this season?

Best wishes, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM319, Malta


Re: Disturbing messages from Turkey

Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe <yahoogroups@...>
 

John,

We have been in the US since Dec because of my cancer surgery in Feb. We return to Gocek on 1 July.

We do not consider things dangerous in Turkey. Remember, the protests are against the government's conservative swing to add more religion to government. Ataturk led the revolution which created a secular state. Most Turks want what Ataturk fought for. These protests are not unlike protests against too much government in the US. Look at the crime and murder rate in Turkey as compared to the US or UK before making a decision. You will be surprised at how much safer Turkey is. Also remember that it is very unlikely that you will be wihin 1000 miles of any protest while cruising Turkey.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, Sm2k, #387
Gocek, Turkey

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "John Hollamby" <annejohnholl@...> wrote:

Hello Bill and Judy,
I have some friends who were going to spend a few days holiday in Turkey with their children.I have just received a couple of messages forwarded from Turks warning about the troubles from which it would appear that things could get worse not better on the basis that many are unhappy about the trend away from the secular state to an Islamic one.
Do you have any views for those who were intending to sail to Turkey this season?

Best wishes, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM319, Malta


Re: [Amel] Re: Main outhaul block

Patrick McAneny
 

Trevor, Thanks for the info, that explains why I was having trouble finding
it.

Thanks again,

Pat SM#123


Disturbing messages from Turkey

John Hollamby <annejohnholl@...>
 

Hello Bill and Judy,
I have some friends who were going to spend a few days holiday in Turkey with their children.I have just received a couple of messages forwarded from Turks warning about the troubles from which it would appear that things could get worse not better on the basis that many are unhappy about the trend away from the secular state to an Islamic one.
Do you have any views for those who were intending to sail to Turkey this season?

Best wishes, Anne and John, Bali Hai, SM319, Malta


Re: Volvo Penta TMD22 Low RPM

Miles Bidwell <mbidwell@...>
 

I have recently been having the same problem with my TMD22. I cannot get
more than about 1700 rpms, but if I stop and then flat stick the throttle,
the autoprop will spin up into the turbo range and then I have (what seems
to be) almost normal power until I let the rpms drop below 2100. The
maximum revs are 2700 instead of the normal 2800 as of last summer; however
the big problem is new this year. Over the winter, I had the fresh water
pump replaced and the injectors checked and adjusted and the turbo replaced.
The autoprop is clean and to make sure, the autoprop people just rebuilt it.
A fixed prop does not solve the issue. I am about to turn to the high
pressure fuel pump. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Miles, S/Y Ladybug (SM 216) in Newport, RI