Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Upgrading all electronics

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>
 

Kent,

It is not as simple as saying it is "OK as long as you  don't connect the ground [of the charger] to the bonding system

You can not, and should not, remove all connections between the bonding system and the AC safety ground.  Those connections are there by Amel design—not by accident and are shown on Amel’s electrical drawings.  See Olivier’s comments on this matter.  Because of the connections between them, the bonding circuit and AC safety ground circuits really are all part of the same system, in normal operation carrying almost no current, but equalizing voltages.

Because there are always going to be connections between the AC safety ground and the bonding system, ANY connection between the DC negative and the AC safety ground is the same as connecting the DC negative to the bonding system. This should NOT be done--anywhere--on an Amel.  

The apparent problem with some battery chargers is that they make such a connection between DC negative and AC safety ground internally.  These are the kinds we need to avoid.  On a proper marine battery chargers this connection would not be part of the design.  It would be bad practice on any boat to have multiple connections between DC negative and AC safety ground scattered around the boat and always bad to have the charger case be part of the DC negative circuit. I am pretty sure that such a piece of equipment would not be considered ABYC compliant.

An important point to remember is that the AC Safety ground—in normal operation—should not carry any current at all.  It is only there to drain off hazardous voltages caused by short circuits to equipment cases.  Almost always, when this happens the current draw is enough to trip the circuit breaker, shutting down the faulty circuit.

Recommending that the case of a battery charger (or inverter, or any piece of equipment connected to AC line voltage) should not be grounded should not be done lightly.  Most of the time, that ground is an important safety issue.  If there was an internal short the case of the charger could become “hot” at full line voltage.  If the case is not grounded that condition can continue until the next thing to touch it (You?) carries 220 volts to ground. 

Bill Kinney
SM #160, Harmonie
Highlands, NJ
“Ships and men rot in port."





On Aug 10, 2016, at 08:50, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


 I'm looking for a new charger now, too.  My Charles 60 A charger doesn't have an equalization cycle.  So far I've only been looking at chargers recommended by Amel owners on this forum, and for a 75-80A 24V charger with equalization mode only the Victron Skylla-i meets my needs.  I'm also looking at MasterVolt but a few owners have had bad experiences.

I think any good marine charger is OK as long as you  don't connect the ground to the bonding system.

I think ideally we want a charger with separate AC and DC grounds.  That way you could connect the AC ground to the boat's AC ground, and the DC ground to the battery negative.  Unfortunately they all seem to have a common ground that ABYC standard wants you to connect to the boat's "earth".

Are you just dropping a lead into the water and measuring between that lead and the bonding system?

It sounds like there is a fault in you charger.  But if it isn't connected to your bonding system, there is another connection to your bonding system that is carrying current to the water.  It could be on either the AC or DC circuit.
I'd be interested in what you find if you disconnect the AC and DC wires from the charger and measure resistance between each wire and the bonding system with the circuit breaker off, and again with CB on.  That should help you determine where to look for the connection.

On my boat I was never able to completely eliminate all connections to ground.  Your 220V air conditioner water pump, for example, is connected to the bonding system.  My generator case is also connected to the bonding system. (Read Olivier's earlier comments on this.)
I purchased a silver/silver chloride reference electrode to monitor hull potential and do that once a month, and every time I drop anchor or tie up to a marina dock.
Let us know what you find.
Kent
SM243
Kristy



On Aug 10, 2016, at 4:49 AM, rossienio@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Kent,

 the Sterling ProCharge N is only charger, it was  installed  time ago, without ground connection, but I have seen the problem only now, touching the mooring wet of salt water, while the boat is connected  to  the shore power of the Marina and with the C.B. on.
I can see the voltage leak with the tester on AC (2V) and DC (2.5V) connecting metallic parts of the boat with sea water.
Now the generator (Fischer Panda) is totally isolated, with all wires ( in and out ) disconnected so I' using now only solar panels.
I am going to do all the measures suggested by Olivier, but I think that the Sterling is not suitable for our boats.
Could  you give me some indication about Battery Charger  suitable to boats with the electrical system isolated, like Amel?
I also istalled an alternator-to-battery charger Sterling, do you think that it too could not be ok  for the Amels?
Here I'm not able to find an Amel-savvy electrician. 
Good wind




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Changing oil VP TMD22

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>
 

Hi Paul,

Depending on how long you stay in Gib, we may meet there.. if not it will be in Madeira.. or Canaries..

We expect to start crossing week of 5 Dec..

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre


On 7 Aug 2016, at 17:34, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hello JP!

We will arrive to Marina bay Gibraltar 14 or 15 of August
Paul S/Y Kerpa SM#259

Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.



Rub rail enhancement

Mike Ondra
 

We are considering adding a UHMW Polyethylene strip to the groove in the rub rail. ¼” thick will leave it proud of the fiberglass rub rail about 1/8”, hopefully enough to take the majority of abuse and protect the fiberglass. The 7/8” wide material comes in 10 ft. long pieces and we would bevel the ends to obtain some overlap for aesthetic purposes. The material does not adhere well to any adhesive so we are considering a bed of 3M 4200 adhesive and countersunk screws 12” on center. We would go with the black polyethylene under the advice that white or natural would yellow under UV. Also if anyone has a cross sectional drawing of the rub rail that information would be helpful in determining the optimum screw size.

 

Any hints or suggestions?

 

Thanks,

Mike and Tom

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD


Samos marina at Pitahgorion

Attilio Siviero <attilio.siviero@...>
 

Any news about the possibility to stay in Pithagorion Marina in Samos?
Noosite.com not updated.
Attilio SN #84 "Sisila" now in Gocek

Inviato da iPad


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Upgrading all electronics

karkauai
 

 I'm looking for a new charger now, too.  My Charles 60 A charger doesn't have an equalization cycle.  So far I've only been looking at chargers recommended by Amel owners on this forum, and for a 75-80A 24V charger with equalization mode only the Victron Skylla-i meets my needs.  I'm also looking at MasterVolt but a few owners have had bad experiences.

I think any good marine charger is OK as long as you  don't connect the ground to the bonding system.

I think ideally we want a charger with separate AC and DC grounds.  That way you could connect the AC ground to the boat's AC ground, and the DC ground to the battery negative.  Unfortunately they all seem to have a common ground that ABYC standard wants you to connect to the boat's "earth".

Are you just dropping a lead into the water and measuring between that lead and the bonding system?

It sounds like there is a fault in you charger.  But if it isn't connected to your bonding system, there is another connection to your bonding system that is carrying current to the water.  It could be on either the AC or DC circuit.
I'd be interested in what you find if you disconnect the AC and DC wires from the charger and measure resistance between each wire and the bonding system with the circuit breaker off, and again with CB on.  That should help you determine where to look for the connection.

On my boat I was never able to completely eliminate all connections to ground.  Your 220V air conditioner water pump, for example, is connected to the bonding system.  My generator case is also connected to the bonding system. (Read Olivier's earlier comments on this.)
I purchased a silver/silver chloride reference electrode to monitor hull potential and do that once a month, and every time I drop anchor or tie up to a marina dock.
Let us know what you find.
Kent
SM243
Kristy



On Aug 10, 2016, at 4:49 AM, rossienio@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Kent,

 the Sterling ProCharge N is only charger, it was  installed  time ago, without ground connection, but I have seen the problem only now, touching the mooring wet of salt water, while the boat is connected  to  the shore power of the Marina and with the C.B. on.
I can see the voltage leak with the tester on AC (2V) and DC (2.5V) connecting metallic parts of the boat with sea water.
Now the generator (Fischer Panda) is totally isolated, with all wires ( in and out ) disconnected so I' using now only solar panels.
I am going to do all the measures suggested by Olivier, but I think that the Sterling is not suitable for our boats.
Could  you give me some indication about Battery Charger  suitable to boats with the electrical system isolated, like Amel?
I also istalled an alternator-to-battery charger Sterling, do you think that it too could not be ok  for the Amels?
Here I'm not able to find an Amel-savvy electrician. 
Good wind


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Upgrading all electronics

enio rossi
 

Hi Kent,
 the Sterling ProCharge N is only charger, it was  installed  time ago, without ground connection, but I have seen the problem only now, touching the mooring wet of salt water, while the boat is connected  to  the shore power of the Marina and with the C.B. on.
I can see the voltage leak with the tester on AC (2V) and DC (2.5V) connecting metallic parts of the boat with sea water.
Now the generator (Fischer Panda) is totally isolated, with all wires ( in and out ) disconnected so I' using now only solar panels.
I am going to do all the measures suggested by Olivier, but I think that the Sterling is not suitable for our boats.
Could  you give me some indication about Battery Charger  suitable to boats with the electrical system isolated, like Amel?
I also istalled an alternator-to-battery charger Sterling, do you think that it too could not be ok  for the Amels?
Here I'm not able to find an Amel-savvy electrician. 
Good wind


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] '81 Mango dinette cushion replacement

mr_hermanns
 

Hey there, if your in SoCal I HIGHLY recommend Rosario Boat Covers - they did my Amel Maramu upholstery and are amazing. 

They fixed so many issues my previous canvas/upholstery guy messed up.

Here is the latest work they did in my Salon:
New Salon Interior & Closet Curtains

 


Previous work on our canvas too:
New Clear Makrolon – Goodbye Blurry Eisenglass

 



Please tell them Jeremy from Cerulean sent you - he is very personable and is known as the BEST canvas guy in SoCal (His dad taught him and owned a shop in Marina Del Rey for over 30yrs).

Rosario: 310-702-9639

Note: He knows how picky us Amel owners are, and is more than willing to listen to detailed ideas and customization.


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] '81 Mango dinette cushion replacement

Dave_Benjamin
 

The mother of a friend of mine has an upholstery shop in Michigan. We shipped her complete cushions to replicate. The workmanship was excellent. My wife, who is very discerning when it comes to any sewing projects, did not find a single issue with any of the work. Her labor rates are a fraction of what's charged in California. Shipping wasn't cheap but the entire project came in at a very favorable price and we were extremely pleased with all aspects of the project. 

Drop me an email if you're interested and I'll see if I can dig up her contact information. 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

amelforme
 

Further proof that Murphy was an optimist 

Joel F. Potter
THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY
954-812-2485

On Aug 9, 2016, at 5:23 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

On the same thought line…

 

http://www.creampuff.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Murphys-Thought-Process.jpg

 

 

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Tampa Bay for hurricane season

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 3:54 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

 

 

True

An other fellow told me that not only the sum of you vise (spelling) are constant, but also the sum of the problem on the boat, His strategy is: if he have a problem he can live with he do not fix it properly as it will only be an other problem in stead.!!!???? have not tried that strategy yet...

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

Mark Erdos
 

On the same thought line…

 

http://www.creampuff.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Murphys-Thought-Process.jpg

 

 

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Tampa Bay for hurricane season

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 3:54 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

 

 

True

An other fellow told me that not only the sum of you vise (spelling) are constant, but also the sum of the problem on the boat, His strategy is: if he have a problem he can live with he do not fix it properly as it will only be an other problem in stead.!!!???? have not tried that strategy yet...

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

Paul Osterberg
 

True
An other fellow told me that not only the sum of you vise (spelling) are constant, but also the sum of the problem on the boat, His strategy is: if he have a problem he can live with he do not fix it properly as it will only be an other problem in stead.!!!???? have not tried that strategy yet...
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

karkauai
 

Boats!
Someone once told me if you have 10 things to repair,and you do 7 of them...there's only 8 more things on the list.

Kent


On Aug 9, 2016, at 1:45 PM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

You are probably right my list get longer as the heat hear in Spain. decided to fix at least one thing every day. Today it was the water pump then a few? Cold bear tomorrow we fix another thing on the list
Paul on SYKerpa SM 259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

Paul Osterberg
 

You are probably right my list get longer as the heat hear in Spain. decided to fix at least one thing every day. Today it was the water pump then a few? Cold bear tomorrow we fix another thing on the list
Paul on SYKerpa SM 259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

That wire powers the light on the 24VDC panel. It lights when the pump runs. If you splice it to the 24VDC positive wire running from the pressure switch on the Jabsco fresh water pump, it will light as it did with your Amel Installed pump.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Isn't it the one going to the light on the 24 Volt panel?

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico

--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 8/9/16, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 10:27 AM


 









Today I change the original fresh
water pump, with a Jabsco Par Max 4, not a big deal, but to
my surprise there was three cables to the old pump, One blue
negative one brown positive and a thin black wire also
negative. Both the Blue and the thin Black cable was
connected to the same terminal on my old pressure switch on
the old pump. My question for what purpose does the black
wire have?Paul on S/Y Kerpa
SM#259









#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260 --
#yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp #yiv1506787260hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp #yiv1506787260ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp .yiv1506787260ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp .yiv1506787260ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp .yiv1506787260ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1506787260ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1506787260ygrp-lc #yiv1506787260hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1506787260ygrp-lc .yiv1506787260ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity span
.yiv1506787260underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 dd.yiv1506787260last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 dd.yiv1506787260last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 dd.yiv1506787260last p
span.yiv1506787260yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260file-title a, #yiv1506787260
div.yiv1506787260file-title a:active, #yiv1506787260
div.yiv1506787260file-title a:hover, #yiv1506787260
div.yiv1506787260file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260photo-title a,
#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260photo-title a:active,
#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260photo-title a:hover,
#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 div#yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv1506787260ygrp-msg p a span.yiv1506787260yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv1506787260 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv1506787260 input, #yiv1506787260 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv1506787260
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg #yiv1506787260logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}


#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-msg
p#yiv1506787260attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-reco
#yiv1506787260reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor #yiv1506787260ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor #yiv1506787260ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor #yiv1506787260ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv1506787260



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Hello again Paul,

I tend to micro manage everything…
In “my” opinion and experience, you should really fix it (could be as simple as the bulb) because it happened to me the pump kept running, which potentially could damage/overheat it.

My last time was the most stupid thing, I thought I would let the “flush” valve ON for the water maker… little by little it emptied my tank and the pump kept running… without the light I would not have noticed it…

Other times were:
-at sea when the batteries were getting a little low, not enough voltage to make it run to the point the pressure switch would stop.
-also when the sediments build up and clog the system (I fix that issue adding a water filter prior the fresh water pump).

Just my opinion, plus should be an easy fix! I still would check with a voltmeter, this wire really goes to the fresh water pump!
If you haven't look inside the 24 Volt panel, here are some pictures:
http://nikimat.com/diruptor_24_volt_panel.html

Sincerely, Alexandre



--------------------------------------------

On Tue, 8/9/16, osterberg.paul.l@gmail.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 12:03 PM


 









Thank you, you are right it has never worked so did
not looked to close, but now it's rather obvious where
it is, an other fault to (not to serious) to find
outThanksPaul on S/Y Kerpa
SM#259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

Paul Osterberg
 

Thank you, you are right it has never worked so did not looked to close, but now it's rather obvious where it is, an other fault to (not to serious) to find out
Thanks
Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Good morning Paul,

Our serial number are not far away…
On my 24 Volt Panel, I have a little white light right next to the Dirupter/breaker of the Fresh Water pump
Have a look: http://nikimat.com/diruptor_24_volt_panel/diruptor_24_volt_panel_1.jpg

And I “think” (I would like other to confirm) that the little black wire you mention goes to that light to show the pump is running.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico




--------------------------------------------

On Tue, 8/9/16, osterberg.paul.l@gmail.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 11:39 AM


 









I have no light on my fresh water pump, only on
the bilge pump

Paul Amel SM 259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

Paul Osterberg
 

I have no light on my fresh water pump, only on the bilge pump
Paul Amel SM 259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Isn't it the one going to the light on the 24 Volt panel?

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico



--------------------------------------------

On Tue, 8/9/16, osterberg.paul.l@gmail.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 10:27 AM


 









Today I change the original fresh
water pump, with a Jabsco Par Max 4, not a big deal, but to
my surprise there was three cables to the old pump, One blue
negative one brown positive and a thin black wire also
negative. Both the Blue and the thin Black cable was
connected to the same terminal on my old pressure switch on
the old pump. My question for what purpose does the black
wire have?Paul on S/Y Kerpa
SM#259









#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260 --
#yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp #yiv1506787260hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp #yiv1506787260ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp .yiv1506787260ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp .yiv1506787260ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mkp .yiv1506787260ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1506787260ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1506787260ygrp-lc #yiv1506787260hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1506787260ygrp-lc .yiv1506787260ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260activity span
.yiv1506787260underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 dd.yiv1506787260last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 dd.yiv1506787260last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 dd.yiv1506787260last p
span.yiv1506787260yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260file-title a, #yiv1506787260
div.yiv1506787260file-title a:active, #yiv1506787260
div.yiv1506787260file-title a:hover, #yiv1506787260
div.yiv1506787260file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260photo-title a,
#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260photo-title a:active,
#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260photo-title a:hover,
#yiv1506787260 div.yiv1506787260photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 div#yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv1506787260ygrp-msg p a span.yiv1506787260yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv1506787260 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1506787260 .yiv1506787260replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv1506787260 input, #yiv1506787260 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv1506787260
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-mlmsg #yiv1506787260logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}


#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-msg
p#yiv1506787260attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-reco
#yiv1506787260reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor #yiv1506787260ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor #yiv1506787260ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-sponsor #yiv1506787260ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv1506787260 #yiv1506787260ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv1506787260


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] One wire to many?

Andrew & Kate Lamb
 

Hi

Could it be for the light on the switch panel to indicate the pump is on?

Andrew
Ronpische
SM 472
Canet-en-Roussillon 

On 9 Aug 2016, at 17:27, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Today I change the original fresh water pump, with a Jabsco Par Max 4, not a big deal, but to my surprise there was three cables to the old pump, One blue negative one brown positive and a thin black wire also negative. Both the Blue and the thin Black cable was connected to the same terminal on my old pressure switch on the old pump. My question for what purpose does the black wire have?

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259