Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

svperegrinus@yahoo.com
 

Hello Ben,

Peregrinus never had a Hydra processor but its B&G Zeus2 is able to measure supply voltage.  

We have alarms set on the Zeus2 at 23V for low and at 30V for high; the only problem is that the Zeuses must be on for this to work.

A half-workaround is to have the Furuno RD-30 that came with the boats of our generation permanently display the voltage; the voltage measurement is native to the Furuno, so nothing else has to be on. I have set mine to display voltage, depth, and windspeed, and I like its big, easy to read numbers over the Mastervolt display, which is somewhat dim.

Cheerio,


SM2K No. 350 (2002)
At anchor, Sant'Angelo – Ischia




---In amelyachtowners@..., <joedoakes66@...> wrote :

As you may know the B&G Hydro 2000 can measure voltage.  And my 2000 inputs into Zeus II which has alarms set to 23 and 29 volts.  I often trip low voltage alarm when using the bow thruster.  However, on two occasions I tripped high voltage - 29 volts - momentarily. The generator was running and charger operating.  Perhaps this occasional higher voltage can shorten bulb life?  But so far only one bulb - the anchor light - is short-lived.  It makes me think it must be the fixture.  

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Sep 7, 2016, at 5:33 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

I believe that the charging voltage is, 28.8 absorption and 32+ equalization, transmitted to the Masthead lights.

Kent
SM243
Kristy 

On Sep 7, 2016, at 4:14 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

No I don't think so....you can't get voltage surges with a big battery bank.

IF it could possibly happen you'd be having all sorts of issues with lamps and other 24VDC devices.
The ONLY way you MIGHT have an issue with this would be if you used the EQUALISE cycle on your battery charger while the masthead light was on. The EQUALISE cycle raises the voltage to around 32VDC for a while, but that is something you would rarely do, possibly only if you had flooded batteries that you suspected of being sulphated, and if you know about equalising batteries, you would also know to turn off anything on the DC circuit before starting to do it.
Its much more likely that you have bad connections, salt water ingress into the lamp holder.....
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SM for sale

VLADIMIR SONSEV
 

What is your asking price?

Vladimir
202 258 1916


On Sep 7, 2016 7:16 AM, "Ann-Sofie Svanberg kanalmamman@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

https://sailinglife.se/vi-saljer-lady-annila-amel-super-maramu-1998/

 

 

Regards

Annsofie

S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

In Portimão, Portugal

 

 

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

 


Re: conversion of mast head light to LED

svperegrinus@yahoo.com
 

Hull No. 350's factory masthead lights were replaced with all-new LED Stecktronics masthead lights, including the emergency strobe, the nav lights, and the anchor light, in 2013.  Stecktronics used new Aquasignal housings to manufacture its LED products.

Works flawlessly, 3.5 years later.

I don't know if there is a 24V stabilizer hidden somewhere in the boat, though.  I most certainly haven't installed one.

Cheers,

Peregrinus 
At anchor, Ischia (Gulf of Naples)



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SIPHON BREAK USING A VENTED LOOP -RAW WATER ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Good morning Alex,

I took 6 pictures and posted them on:
http://nikimat.com/volvo_tmd22p_siphon_break.html

It shows you the flow of the water, the last 3 pictures will show you the detail of the Syphon Break, with the little pipe that allow air and actually make it a “syphon break”.

Hope that helps!

Have a great day

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico




--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 9/7/16, 'Alex Paquin' alex.paquin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] SIPHON BREAK USING A VENTED LOOP -RAW WATER ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM
To: "'Alexandre Uster von Baar'" <uster@...>, amelyachtowners@...
Cc: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2016, 6:01 PM


 









Dear Alexander,

Many thanks for your email, very interesting thank you. Was
this an original Amel installation on your boat?

One question, I don´t see a breathing (venting) valve on
either loops. Can it work that way?

I enjoy very much your very orderly way of describing and
documenting your work onboard. Very useful indeed.

Best regards,

Alex Paquin



-----Original Message-----

From: Alexandre Uster von Baar [mailto:uster@...]


Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 5:54 PM

To: amelyachtowners@...

Cc: alex.paquin@...

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SIPHON BREAK USING A VENTED
LOOP -RAW WATER ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM



Good afternoon Alex,



Here is a picture of the anti- siphon on my vessel, I have
the Volvo TMD 22 P
http://www.nikimat.com/volvo_tmd22p_missing_hoses/volvo_tmd22p_missing_hoses_4.jpg

Don’t look at the arrows, they are for something else.

The BIG black hose is the exhaust.

Behind it is a yellow/black hose going to the top of the
picture to a metallic half circle, that is the anti- siphon.




I will also sent you directly via email a page of the SM2K
Owner Manual showing the Yanmar anti- siphon.

Let me know if you receive it.



Sincerely, Alexandre

SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico



--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 9/7/16, alex.paquin@... [amelyachtowners]
<amelyachtowners@...> wrote:



Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] SIPHON BREAK USING A VENTED
LOOP -RAW WATER ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2016, 2:32 PM

























Good

afternoon, does anyone have

images or a diagram of an anti- siphon installation on the
raw water side of the engine cooling system? I am
considering this step in addition to a few others to avoid
water backing into the engine exhaust system on the Yanmar
4JH4-HTE (repowered) on our Older Maramu.

Alex PaquinSIMPATICOOlder Maramu Hull #94,

1981

































Posted by: alex.paquin@...









Reply

via web post





Reply to sender





Reply to group



Start a New

Topic



Messages in this topic

(1)













#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218 --
#yiv4837867218ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mkp #yiv4837867218hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mkp #yiv4837867218ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mkp .yiv4837867218ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mkp .yiv4837867218ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mkp .yiv4837867218ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-sponsor
#yiv4837867218ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-sponsor
#yiv4837867218ygrp-lc #yiv4837867218hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-sponsor
#yiv4837867218ygrp-lc .yiv4837867218ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218activity span
.yiv4837867218underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv4837867218 .yiv4837867218attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv4837867218 .yiv4837867218attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv4837867218 .yiv4837867218attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv4837867218 .yiv4837867218attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv4837867218 .yiv4837867218attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv4837867218 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv4837867218 .yiv4837867218bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv4837867218 .yiv4837867218bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv4837867218 dd.yiv4837867218last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv4837867218 dd.yiv4837867218last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv4837867218 dd.yiv4837867218last p
span.yiv4837867218yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv4837867218 div.yiv4837867218attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv4837867218 div.yiv4837867218attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv4837867218 div.yiv4837867218file-title a, #yiv4837867218
div.yiv4837867218file-title a:active, #yiv4837867218
div.yiv4837867218file-title a:hover, #yiv4837867218
div.yiv4837867218file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv4837867218 div.yiv4837867218photo-title a,
#yiv4837867218 div.yiv4837867218photo-title a:active,
#yiv4837867218 div.yiv4837867218photo-title a:hover,
#yiv4837867218 div.yiv4837867218photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv4837867218 div#yiv4837867218ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv4837867218ygrp-msg p a span.yiv4837867218yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv4837867218 .yiv4837867218green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv4837867218 .yiv4837867218MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv4837867218 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv4837867218 .yiv4837867218replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv4837867218 input, #yiv4837867218 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv4837867218
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-mlmsg #yiv4837867218logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}


#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-msg
p#yiv4837867218attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-reco
#yiv4837867218reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-sponsor #yiv4837867218ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-sponsor #yiv4837867218ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-sponsor #yiv4837867218ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv4837867218 #yiv4837867218ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv4837867218


Re: Masthead lights do not last

kanalmamman@...
 

Hi Ben & Gayle

On Amel Super Maramu the voltage tends to change when using the diesel generator. If using normal bulbs they are usually specified for 24v and have problems when current goes above 26v.

The following alternatives are available:

- buy bulbs specified for the range between 24-30v

- put in a DCDC converter for the different navigation lights

- change to LEDs that are specified for 24-30v. If using LED a DCDC converter is preffered to stabilize the current and protect the life time of the LED.

 

DCDC converters could be found on the Internet and are not expensive as long as you are not buying units managing 15 A or more.

 

We have LEDs and DCDC converters infront of all lamps, navigational equipment and compressors. Have saved a lot of time and money!


Regards

Jonas S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

In Portimao, Portugal.




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

Alan Leslie
 

I doubt that 29V is a problem.
We have AGM batteries and the absorption voltage is specified to be 29.2, which is what is set on both chargers and the alternator regulator.
We don't blow lamps.
think about it...if 29V was a problem you'd be blowing other lamps as well 
its your anchor light that is the problem.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437....Presqu'ile de Uitoe...blowing 30+ knots at anchor...


Anti seize compound

eric freedman
 


conversion of mast head light to LED

eric freedman
 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347
 

As you may know the B&G Hydro 2000 can measure voltage.  And my 2000 inputs into Zeus II which has alarms set to 23 and 29 volts.  I often trip low voltage alarm when using the bow thruster.  However, on two occasions I tripped high voltage - 29 volts - momentarily. The generator was running and charger operating.  Perhaps this occasional higher voltage can shorten bulb life?  But so far only one bulb - the anchor light - is short-lived.  It makes me think it must be the fixture.  

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Sep 7, 2016, at 5:33 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

I believe that the charging voltage is, 28.8 absorption and 32+ equalization, transmitted to the Masthead lights.

Kent
SM243
Kristy 

On Sep 7, 2016, at 4:14 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

No I don't think so....you can't get voltage surges with a big battery bank.

IF it could possibly happen you'd be having all sorts of issues with lamps and other 24VDC devices.
The ONLY way you MIGHT have an issue with this would be if you used the EQUALISE cycle on your battery charger while the masthead light was on. The EQUALISE cycle raises the voltage to around 32VDC for a while, but that is something you would rarely do, possibly only if you had flooded batteries that you suspected of being sulphated, and if you know about equalising batteries, you would also know to turn off anything on the DC circuit before starting to do it.
Its much more likely that you have bad connections, salt water ingress into the lamp holder.....
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

karkauai
 

I believe that the charging voltage is, 28.8 absorption and 32+ equalization, transmitted to the Masthead lights.

Kent
SM243
Kristy 

On Sep 7, 2016, at 4:14 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

No I don't think so....you can't get voltage surges with a big battery bank.

IF it could possibly happen you'd be having all sorts of issues with lamps and other 24VDC devices.
The ONLY way you MIGHT have an issue with this would be if you used the EQUALISE cycle on your battery charger while the masthead light was on. The EQUALISE cycle raises the voltage to around 32VDC for a while, but that is something you would rarely do, possibly only if you had flooded batteries that you suspected of being sulphated, and if you know about equalising batteries, you would also know to turn off anything on the DC circuit before starting to do it.
Its much more likely that you have bad connections, salt water ingress into the lamp holder.....
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

karkauai
 

Some newer chargers have an automatic equalizing cycle that kicks in after the absorption phase. I have that turned off on Christie because I want to be able to turn off all 24 V equipment before equalizing.

Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Sep 7, 2016, at 6:08 PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

I know that when I start my battery chargers (genset or shore), the voltage goes much higher.
I actually stop the 24 volt fan until the voltage stabilize.

Did you measure how many volt you are getting?

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico

--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 9/7/16, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2016, 3:28 PM


 









Thanks Alan. I'm inclined to agree;
that is, it is most probably an issue with masthead lamp
holder.  My charger has manual equalization which has not
been used; settings are appropriate for my battery type.
  
Ben DriverLa Bella VitaSM
#347
Sent from my
iPad
On Sep 7, 2016,
at 1:14 PM, divanz620@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:
















 






No I don't think so....you can't get
voltage surges with a big battery bank.IF it could
possibly happen you'd be having all sorts of issues with
lamps and other 24VDC devices.The ONLY way you
MIGHT have an issue with this would be if you used the
EQUALISE cycle on your battery charger while the masthead
light was on. The EQUALISE cycle raises the voltage to
around 32VDC for a while, but that is something you would
rarely do, possibly only if you had flooded batteries that
you suspected of being sulphated, and if you know about
equalising batteries, you would also know to turn off
anything on the DC circuit before starting to do
it.Its much more likely that you have bad
connections, salt water ingress into the lamp
holder.....CheersAlanElyse
SM437























#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910 --
#yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp #yiv3241421910hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp #yiv3241421910ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp .yiv3241421910ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp .yiv3241421910ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp .yiv3241421910ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor
#yiv3241421910ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor
#yiv3241421910ygrp-lc #yiv3241421910hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor
#yiv3241421910ygrp-lc .yiv3241421910ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity span
.yiv3241421910underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 dd.yiv3241421910last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 dd.yiv3241421910last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 dd.yiv3241421910last p
span.yiv3241421910yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910file-title a, #yiv3241421910
div.yiv3241421910file-title a:active, #yiv3241421910
div.yiv3241421910file-title a:hover, #yiv3241421910
div.yiv3241421910file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910photo-title a,
#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910photo-title a:active,
#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910photo-title a:hover,
#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 div#yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv3241421910ygrp-msg p a span.yiv3241421910yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv3241421910 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv3241421910 input, #yiv3241421910 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv3241421910
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg #yiv3241421910logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}


#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-msg
p#yiv3241421910attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-reco
#yiv3241421910reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor #yiv3241421910ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor #yiv3241421910ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor #yiv3241421910ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv3241421910


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SIPHON BREAK USING A VENTED LOOP -RAW WATER ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM

Alejandro Paquin
 

Dear Alexander,
Many thanks for your email, very interesting thank you. Was this an original Amel installation on your boat?
One question, I don´t see a breathing (venting) valve on either loops. Can it work that way?
I enjoy very much your very orderly way of describing and documenting your work onboard. Very useful indeed.
Best regards,
Alex Paquin

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandre Uster von Baar [mailto:uster@...]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 5:54 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Cc: alex.paquin@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SIPHON BREAK USING A VENTED LOOP -RAW WATER ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM

Good afternoon Alex,

Here is a picture of the anti- siphon on my vessel, I have the Volvo TMD 22 P http://www.nikimat.com/volvo_tmd22p_missing_hoses/volvo_tmd22p_missing_hoses_4.jpg
Don’t look at the arrows, they are for something else.
The BIG black hose is the exhaust.
Behind it is a yellow/black hose going to the top of the picture to a metallic half circle, that is the anti- siphon.

I will also sent you directly via email a page of the SM2K Owner Manual showing the Yanmar anti- siphon.
Let me know if you receive it.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico



--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 9/7/16, alex.paquin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] SIPHON BREAK USING A VENTED LOOP -RAW WATER ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2016, 2:32 PM












Good
afternoon, does anyone have
images or a diagram of an anti- siphon installation on the raw water side of the engine cooling system? I am considering this step in addition to a few others to avoid water backing into the engine exhaust system on the Yanmar 4JH4-HTE (repowered) on our Older Maramu.
Alex PaquinSIMPATICOOlder Maramu Hull #94,
1981
















Posted by: alex.paquin@...




Reply
via web post


Reply to sender


Reply to group

Start a New
Topic

Messages in this topic
(1)


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

I know that when I start my battery chargers (genset or shore), the voltage goes much higher.
I actually stop the 24 volt fan until the voltage stabilize.

Did you measure how many volt you are getting?

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico



--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 9/7/16, Ben Driver/YAHOO @JoeDoakes [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2016, 3:28 PM


 









Thanks Alan. I'm inclined to agree;
that is, it is most probably an issue with masthead lamp
holder.  My charger has manual equalization which has not
been used; settings are appropriate for my battery type.
  
Ben DriverLa Bella VitaSM
#347
Sent from my
iPad
On Sep 7, 2016,
at 1:14 PM, divanz620@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:
















 






No I don't think so....you can't get
voltage surges with a big battery bank.IF it could
possibly happen you'd be having all sorts of issues with
lamps and other 24VDC devices.The ONLY way you
MIGHT have an issue with this would be if you used the
EQUALISE cycle on your battery charger while the masthead
light was on. The EQUALISE cycle raises the voltage to
around 32VDC for a while, but that is something you would
rarely do, possibly only if you had flooded batteries that
you suspected of being sulphated, and if you know about
equalising batteries, you would also know to turn off
anything on the DC circuit before starting to do
it.Its much more likely that you have bad
connections, salt water ingress into the lamp
holder.....CheersAlanElyse
SM437























#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910 --
#yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp #yiv3241421910hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp #yiv3241421910ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp .yiv3241421910ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp .yiv3241421910ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mkp .yiv3241421910ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor
#yiv3241421910ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor
#yiv3241421910ygrp-lc #yiv3241421910hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor
#yiv3241421910ygrp-lc .yiv3241421910ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910activity span
.yiv3241421910underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 dd.yiv3241421910last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 dd.yiv3241421910last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 dd.yiv3241421910last p
span.yiv3241421910yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910file-title a, #yiv3241421910
div.yiv3241421910file-title a:active, #yiv3241421910
div.yiv3241421910file-title a:hover, #yiv3241421910
div.yiv3241421910file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910photo-title a,
#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910photo-title a:active,
#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910photo-title a:hover,
#yiv3241421910 div.yiv3241421910photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 div#yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv3241421910ygrp-msg p a span.yiv3241421910yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv3241421910 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv3241421910 .yiv3241421910replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv3241421910 input, #yiv3241421910 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv3241421910
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-mlmsg #yiv3241421910logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}


#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-msg
p#yiv3241421910attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-reco
#yiv3241421910reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor #yiv3241421910ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor #yiv3241421910ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-sponsor #yiv3241421910ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv3241421910 #yiv3241421910ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv3241421910


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SIPHON BREAK USING A VENTED LOOP -RAW WATER ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Good afternoon Alex,

Here is a picture of the anti- siphon on my vessel, I have the Volvo TMD 22 P
http://www.nikimat.com/volvo_tmd22p_missing_hoses/volvo_tmd22p_missing_hoses_4.jpg
Don’t look at the arrows, they are for something else.
The BIG black hose is the exhaust.
Behind it is a yellow/black hose going to the top of the picture to a metallic half circle, that is the anti- siphon.

I will also sent you directly via email a page of the SM2K Owner Manual showing the Yanmar anti- siphon.
Let me know if you receive it.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico



--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 9/7/16, alex.paquin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] SIPHON BREAK USING A VENTED LOOP -RAW WATER ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2016, 2:32 PM


 









Good
afternoon, does anyone have
images or a diagram of an anti- siphon installation
on the raw water side of the engine cooling system? I am
considering this step in addition to a few others to avoid
water backing into the engine exhaust system on the Yanmar
4JH4-HTE (repowered) on our Older Maramu.
Alex PaquinSIMPATICOOlder Maramu Hull #94,
1981
















Posted by: alex.paquin@...




Reply
via web post


Reply to sender


Reply to group

Start a New
Topic

Messages in this
topic
(1)


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Chain counter

Amel Salvagny
 

I did replace my old chain counter with the latest Quick and it even uses the same sensor as the old one. Absolutely no problem lemon installing a Quick counter.

Best regards
Lars
Yacht Salvagny 
Santorin #79 currently in Denmark



Sendt fra min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

-------- Oprindelig besked --------
Fra: "Bill greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Dato: 06/09/2016 23.29 (GMT+01:00)
Til: amelyachtowners@...
Emne: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Chain counter

 

The chain counter on our boat had been replaced by a model from Quick.  It's not quite a "drop-in" replacement, but is a nice piece of equipment.

A Quick CHC1202M. Like this:

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Narragansett Bay, RI, USA


On Sep 6, 2016, at 17:22, Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Pat

Our Chain counter also stopped working I made contact with Pochon who do not make these anymore but can repair them - email is accueilsavlr 'at ' pochon.com

Andrew
Ronpische
SM 472


On 6 Sep 2016, at 23:19, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Alan, I looked through the Pochon Catalogue , it looked like they are a distributor of thousands of marine products , but I could not find the chain counter.Do you know that they manufacture , rather than just sell ? I figure the Z has to stand for something.
Thanks,
Pat SM 123


-----Original Message-----
From: divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Tue, Sep 6, 2016 4:24 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Chain counter

 
They were manufactured by Pochon in France

Pochon S. A.
Avenue Michel CREPEAU78501 
17000 La Rochelle
France
Tel.: +33-546 413 053
Fax: +33-546 505 857
E-Mail:commercial@...
WEB: www.pochon.com
Mr. Didier Dupois

Good luck

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347
 

Thanks Alan. I'm inclined to agree; that is, it is most probably an issue with masthead lamp holder.  My charger has manual equalization which has not been used; settings are appropriate for my battery type.   

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Sep 7, 2016, at 1:14 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

No I don't think so....you can't get voltage surges with a big battery bank.

IF it could possibly happen you'd be having all sorts of issues with lamps and other 24VDC devices.
The ONLY way you MIGHT have an issue with this would be if you used the EQUALISE cycle on your battery charger while the masthead light was on. The EQUALISE cycle raises the voltage to around 32VDC for a while, but that is something you would rarely do, possibly only if you had flooded batteries that you suspected of being sulphated, and if you know about equalising batteries, you would also know to turn off anything on the DC circuit before starting to do it.
Its much more likely that you have bad connections, salt water ingress into the lamp holder.....
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

Alan Leslie
 

No I don't think so....you can't get voltage surges with a big battery bank.
IF it could possibly happen you'd be having all sorts of issues with lamps and other 24VDC devices.
The ONLY way you MIGHT have an issue with this would be if you used the EQUALISE cycle on your battery charger while the masthead light was on. The EQUALISE cycle raises the voltage to around 32VDC for a while, but that is something you would rarely do, possibly only if you had flooded batteries that you suspected of being sulphated, and if you know about equalising batteries, you would also know to turn off anything on the DC circuit before starting to do it.
Its much more likely that you have bad connections, salt water ingress into the lamp holder.....
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

Ben and Gayle Super Maramu #347
 

I run then generator to charge the batteries when at anchor so I was thinking it possible that the charger is creating too much DC that is somehow getting through that huge stabilizing battery bank to lamp circuit. You think this not possible?  


Ben and Gayle
La Bella Vita 
SM #347


On Wednesday, September 7, 2016, 12:53 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

 

I don't see how you could have a voltage surge when running the generator that would affect the masthead lamps.

The generator produces 220VAC that powers the battery chargers which are connected to your big house bank of batteries. The generator has no other connection to the 24VDC system.
The chargers slowly raise the voltage of the batteries to the absorption voltage which is maintained for a while and then dropped slowly to a stabilised float voltage.
That bank of batteries has to be the biggest voltage stabiliser ever.
Unless there is something seriously wrong with your battery chargers, how can you get a voltage surge?
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Masthead lights do not last

Alan Leslie
 

I don't see how you could have a voltage surge when running the generator that would affect the masthead lamps.
The generator produces 220VAC that powers the battery chargers which are connected to your big house bank of batteries. The generator has no other connection to the 24VDC system.
The chargers slowly raise the voltage of the batteries to the absorption voltage which is maintained for a while and then dropped slowly to a stabilised float voltage.
That bank of batteries has to be the biggest voltage stabiliser ever.
Unless there is something seriously wrong with your battery chargers, how can you get a voltage surge?
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437



SIPHON BREAK USING A VENTED LOOP -RAW WATER ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM

Alejandro Paquin
 

Good afternoon, does anyone have images or a diagram of an anti- siphon installation on the raw water side of the engine cooling system? I am considering this step in addition to a few others to avoid water backing into the engine exhaust system on the Yanmar 4JH4-HTE (repowered) on our Older Maramu.


Alex Paquin

SIMPATICO

Older Maramu Hull #94, 1981