Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Selling An Amel SM

eric freedman
 

Hi Alexandre,

Why don’t you drop by the Simpson Bay Marina. I feel the marina is superior to the ones on the French Side. In addition there is a lot more fun on the Dutch side.

Please let me know when you plan on being in SXM and we can hook up.

Fair Winds

Eric

 

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:12 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Selling An Amel SM

 

 

Good morning Paul & Sue,

Sorry you are putting Nomad on the market…
I don’t know what is the market, personally I look at Caribe yacht (where I purchased my boat) for price comparaison:
http://www.caraibe-yachts.com/fr/occasions.php?recherche=constructeur&constructeur=1&longueur=0:0
If you have VAT paid, make sure to mention it, very appealing for European buyers.
Where is your boat in St Martin? I am going there in April, haven’t decided yet on the marina, thinking of Anse Marcel, would love some feedback from you.
Plus would be nice to meet you.
Yes it is unfortunate many buyers think that a boat is a boat and don’t look at the quality…

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Harbor View Marina, Tortola, BVI

--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 2/15/17, pflafrance@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Selling An Amel SM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 8:49 AM


 









Good day all
We are currently
looking at selling our SM #362 Nomad 1. Upon looking at
various sites for vessels for sale the prices seem all over
the map. A broker suggested a price of $315,000  USD. The
reasoning was the vessel is in turnkey condition with such
low hours on the engine and genset.
Anyone
with advice on the pricing to ensure a fair price would be
appreciated.
We would like to sell Nomad 1
within the next 6 -8 months. The boat is currently in St
Martin FWI.
We have noted over the past few
years the bottom seems to have fallen out of the prices
being asked and obtained for such a fine vessel when
compared to inferior build of vessels being sold today.
Full specs and photos can be seen on the
following web page. You do not have to have a Facebook
page
https://www.facebook.com/svnomad/posts/
Paul & Sue LaFrance




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

eric freedman
 

There are a few Amels around Long Island, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.

Hope to see you soon.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:43 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

 

 

Outstanding!  And very appreciated!  

Thank you Eric I'll be in touch as things shape up. 

Would be cool to have an amel regatta us east coast!  

Porter


On Feb 15, 2017, at 3:41 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

HI,

There are slips and moorings available at my club, the Huntington yacht club. About 35 miles from Manhattan, a one hour train ride.

Hope to see you.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:58 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

 

 

Eric. Plan is to sail up to ny this summer. Likely August. Will be in contact!


On Feb 13, 2017, at 12:22 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Welcome aboard,

If you happen to be in St Maarten this winter or Long Island this summer , please drop me a note.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:02 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

 

 

Welcome Dan and Lori

 

Great to hear it all went well and that you are planning to be active in this group. You would certainly have a wonderful boat having purchased Bill & Judy. Wishing you both many happy years of sailing on SV BeBe.

 

Colin & Lauren Streeter

Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

Brisbane

 

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:00 AM, dancarlson367@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi all, it's been a month now since we moved aboard, so we are overdue to check in. We are Dan and Lori Carlson, the proud new owners of SM387, sv BeBe. I can't say enough good about the whole buying process. We spent 4 days with Bill and Judy in Trinidad in July when we agreed on the purchase. In January we joined them again in the USVI for 16 days to close on the sale and learn all we could about the boat and how to live comfortably aboard. They were an amazing resource for us to get an accelerated start on cruising; Bill for all things technical, going through all of the routine service tasks as well as the sustantial stock of spares for most things that can go wrong and Judy's instruction and tips for how to keep the boat comfortable and all of the great places to go. The boat was in pristine condition and all systems ready to go.
We are looking forward to slowly working our way south and east over the next 5 months before taking a break for the summer.
And yes, the Amel Owners group was a strong selling point for the boat. And yes, I have already started on some boat maintenance chores and hope to share more on this forum in the future.



 

--

Colin Streeter

0411 016 445


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Autopilot failures and spares

Stephen Davis
 

Thanks Bill...all very helpful. 

Steve

On Feb 15, 2017, at 16:43, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Steve,

I am sure that Bill Kinney will give you all of the details, but when doing your project, remember that Raymarine drives, and others, switch from one direction to the other by reversing polarity on the DC voltage drive units, linear and rotary.

The reason that I point this out to you is that the drive units need to be in sync regarding causing the boat to turn to port and/or starboard. The drive units on BeBe #387 are wired to the A/B switch with the linear the opposite polarity of the rotary because of the geometry of mounting the linear. 

Also, remember that a 24VDC Raymarine Rotary or Linear drive will have a 12VDC clutch. This means that there are four wires going to the drive units:
  1. 12VDC positive to Clutch
  2. 12VDC negative to Clutch
  3. 24VDC positive in one direction, negative in the other going to the drive motor
  4. 24VDC negative in one direction, positive in the other going to the drive motor
If you can get your head around these points, the actual installation should be easy.

Best,

Bill
X-BeBe

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Bill,

We own hull #72, and the boat originally came with only the rotary drive above the galley, and one autopilot. I have since installed a complete 2nd autopilot, and have made an adaptor plate for the quadrant which will allow me to install a linear drive on the quadrant. As it is now, I have to do some minor re-wiring to switch from autopilot A to B. I really don't have a clue how to wire the autopilots or 2 drive units to switch back and forth easily. 

When you have the time would you mind providing me some more details of how you wired Harmonie to easily switch between drive units and autopilots? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I plan on starting the installation of the linear drive while in St Martin in March, and will try out the system as we work our way to Panama for our canal transit in 2018. My personal email is flyboyscd at Gmail dot com. 

Reg ards,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Barbuda

On Feb 14, 2017, at 21:18, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

I don't doubt that 10% number for a minute!  It certainly squares with what I have seen.  Looking at the archived survey data from the Pacific Puddle Jump would gives a number at least that high and likely higher.


When we bought Harmonie she had two autopilots and two drives installed in the usual Amel configuration of a linear drive at the quadrant and a chain drive at the wheel. They were, however, not switchable. One drive was wired to one computer.  If there was a failure, you would have to do some rewiring to swap drives from one pilot to the other. It was also possible to inadvertently turn both on, which would lead to same serious problems with the steering gear as the two drives fought each other.

I installed a pair of 4-pole, double throw, Form C, switches. Now with two toggles over the sink I can hot swap either computer to be the active one, and use either drive, with no risk that both can be turned on at the same time. I very much like this arrangement, because the two computers have different strengths, as do the two drives.  Being completely separate, systems all parts are duplicated.

It is really helpful to my piece of mind that the entire "spare" autopilot system is installed and exercised on a regular basis. I know it will work when it stops being the "spare" and starts being the only one!
 
Bill Kinney
SM #160 Harmonie
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands.


---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Bill Kinney referred to my mention of "10% of autopilots fail on ocean crossings." Maybe there is some doubt that this number is accurate.

I should have given everyone more inform ation about where this 10% number comes from. The 10% agrees with my experience with other 
boats crossing at the same time as we did. Many times while you are circumnavigating, you will cross in the loose company of 
others...seasons cause the migration at certain times.

I also asked the founder of the ARC and the ODYSSEY, Jimmy Cornell. In his vast experience, 10% of the boats crossing will have an autopilot failure. 

I strongly recommend having a backup for each component of your autopilot system during ocean crossings. Normally this includes:
  • Course Computer
  • Control head
  • Electronic compass
  • Rudder reference
  • Drive unit
I also recommend a backup GPS and any component such as an antenna.

There is a way to "rent" these backups for very little money. Buy them and sell them after your crossings a re complete. I bought ours from Dan Gerhardt mydurango.net>. Dan sells new old stock and refurbished Raymarine components...and will repair anything Raymarine. I believe that a number of Amel owners have used Dan with complete satisfaction. 

Best,

Bill
X-BeBe
Currently Galveston




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Autopilot failures and spares

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Steve,

I am sure that Bill Kinney will give you all of the details, but when doing your project, remember that Raymarine drives, and others, switch from one direction to the other by reversing polarity on the DC voltage drive units, linear and rotary.

The reason that I point this out to you is that the drive units need to be in sync regarding causing the boat to turn to port and/or starboard. The drive units on BeBe #387 are wired to the A/B switch with the linear the opposite polarity of the rotary because of the geometry of mounting the linear. 

Also, remember that a 24VDC Raymarine Rotary or Linear drive will have a 12VDC clutch. This means that there are four wires going to the drive units:
  1. 12VDC positive to Clutch
  2. 12VDC negative to Clutch
  3. 24VDC positive in one direction, negative in the other going to the drive motor
  4. 24VDC negative in one direction, positive in the other going to the drive motor
If you can get your head around these points, the actual installation should be easy.

Best,

Bill
X-BeBe

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Bill,

We own hull #72, and the boat originally came with only the rotary drive above the galley, and one autopilot. I have since installed a complete 2nd autopilot, and have made an adaptor plate for the quadrant which will allow me to install a linear drive on the quadrant. As it is now, I have to do some minor re-wiring to switch from autopilot A to B. I really don't have a clue how to wire the autopilots or 2 drive units to switch back and forth easily. 

When you have the time would you mind providing me some more details of how you wired Harmonie to easily switch between drive units and autopilots? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I plan on starting the installation of the linear drive while in St Martin in March, and will try out the system as we work our way to Panama for our canal transit in 2018. My personal email is flyboyscd at Gmail dot com. 

Reg ards,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Barbuda

On Feb 14, 2017, at 21:18, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

I don't doubt that 10% number for a minute!  It certainly squares with what I have seen.  Looking at the archived survey data from the Pacific Puddle Jump would gives a number at least that high and likely higher.


When we bought Harmonie she had two autopilots and two drives installed in the usual Amel configuration of a linear drive at the quadrant and a chain drive at the wheel. They were, however, not switchable. One drive was wired to one computer.  If there was a failure, you would have to do some rewiring to swap drives from one pilot to the other. It was also possible to inadvertently turn both on, which would lead to same serious problems with the steering gear as the two drives fought each other.

I installed a pair of 4-pole, double throw, Form C, switches. Now with two toggles over the sink I can hot swap either computer to be the active one, and use either drive, with no risk that both can be turned on at the same time. I very much like this arrangement, because the two computers have different strengths, as do the two drives.  Being completely separate, systems all parts are duplicated.

It is really helpful to my piece of mind that the entire "spare" autopilot system is installed and exercised on a regular basis. I know it will work when it stops being the "spare" and starts being the only one!
 
Bill Kinney
SM #160 Harmonie
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands.


---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Bill Kinney referred to my mention of "10% of autopilots fail on ocean crossings." Maybe there is some doubt that this number is accurate.

I should have given everyone more inform ation about where this 10% number comes from. The 10% agrees with my experience with other 
boats crossing at the same time as we did. Many times while you are circumnavigating, you will cross in the loose company of 
others...seasons cause the migration at certain times.

I also asked the founder of the ARC and the ODYSSEY, Jimmy Cornell. In his vast experience, 10% of the boats crossing will have an autopilot failure. 

I strongly recommend having a backup for each component of your autopilot system during ocean crossings. Normally this includes:
  • Course Computer
  • Control head
  • Electronic compass
  • Rudder reference
  • Drive unit
I also recommend a backup GPS and any component such as an antenna.

There is a way to "rent" these backups for very little money. Buy them and sell them after your crossings a re complete. I bought ours from Dan Gerhardt mydurango.net>. Dan sells new old stock and refurbished Raymarine components...and will repair anything Raymarine. I believe that a number of Amel owners have used Dan with complete satisfaction. 

Best,

Bill
X-BeBe
Currently Galveston




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Autopilot failures and spares

Stephen Davis
 

Hi Bill,

We own hull #72, and the boat originally came with only the rotary drive above the galley, and one autopilot. I have since installed a complete 2nd autopilot, and have made an adaptor plate for the quadrant which will allow me to install a linear drive on the quadrant. As it is now, I have to do some minor re-wiring to switch from autopilot A to B. I really don't have a clue how to wire the autopilots or 2 drive units to switch back and forth easily. 

When you have the time would you mind providing me some more details of how you wired Harmonie to easily switch between drive units and autopilots? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I plan on starting the installation of the linear drive while in St Martin in March, and will try out the system as we work our way to Panama for our canal transit in 2018. My personal email is flyboyscd at Gmail dot com. 

Regards,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Barbuda

On Feb 14, 2017, at 21:18, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

I don't doubt that 10% number for a minute!  It certainly squares with what I have seen.  Looking at the archived survey data from the Pacific Puddle Jump would gives a number at least that high and likely higher.


When we bought Harmonie she had two autopilots and two drives installed in the usual Amel configuration of a linear drive at the quadrant and a chain drive at the wheel. They were, however, not switchable. One drive was wired to one computer.  If there was a failure, you would have to do some rewiring to swap drives from one pilot to the other. It was also possible to inadvertently turn both on, which would lead to same serious problems with the steering gear as the two drives fought each other.

I installed a pair of 4-pole, double throw, Form C, switches. Now with two toggles over the sink I can hot swap either computer to be the active one, and use either drive, with no risk that both can be turned on at the same time. I very much like this arrangement, because the two computers have different strengths, as do the two drives.  Being completely separate, systems all parts are duplicated.

It is really helpful to my piece of mind that the entire "spare" autopilot system is installed and exercised on a regular basis. I know it will work when it stops being the "spare" and starts being the only one!
 
Bill Kinney
SM #160 Harmonie
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands.


---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Bill Kinney referred to my mention of "10% of autopilots fail on ocean crossings." Maybe there is some doubt that this number is accurate.

I should have given everyone more information about where this 10% number comes from. The 10% agrees with my experience with other 
boats crossing at the same time as we did. Many times while you are circumnavigating, you will cross in the loose company of 
others...seasons cause the migration at certain times.

I also asked the founder of the ARC and the ODYSSEY, Jimmy Cornell. In his vast experience, 10% of the boats crossing will have an autopilot failure. 

I strongly recommend having a backup for each component of your autopilot system during ocean crossings. Normally this includes:
  • Course Computer
  • Control head
  • Electronic compass
  • Rudder reference
  • Drive unit
I also recommend a backup GPS and any component such as an antenna.

There is a way to "rent" these backups for very little money. Buy them and sell them after your crossings are complete. I bought ours from Dan Gerhardt mydurango.net>. Dan sells new old stock and refurbished Raymarine components...and will repair anything Raymarine. I believe that a number of Amel owners have used Dan with complete satisfaction. 

Best,

Bill
X-BeBe
Currently Galveston



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Selling An Amel SM

Paul LaFrance <pflafrance@...>
 



Paul & Sue LaFrance

Sent from BlueMail

On Feb 15, 2017, at 11:15 AM, "Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Good morning Paul & Sue,

Sorry you are putting Nomad on the market…
I don’t know what is the market, personally I look at Caribe yacht (where I purchased my boat) for price comparaison:
http://www.caraibe-yachts.com/fr/occasions.php?recherche=constructeur&constructeur=1&longueur=0:0
If you have VAT paid, make sure to mention it, very appealing for European buyers.
Where is your boat in St Martin? I am going there in April, haven’t decided yet on the marina, thinking of Anse Marcel, would love some feedback from you.
Plus would be nice to meet you.
Yes it is unfortunate many buyers think that a boat is a boat and don’t look at the quality…

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Harbor View Marina, Tortola, BVI

--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 2/15/17, pflafrance@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Selling An Amel SM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 8:49 AM


 









Good day all
We are currently
looking at selling our SM #362 Nomad 1. Upon looking at
various sites for vessels for sale the prices seem all over
the map. A broker suggested a price of $315,000  USD. The
reasoning was the vessel is in turnkey condition with such
low hours on the engine and genset.
Anyone
with advice on the pricing to ensure a fair price would be
appreciated.
We would like to sell Nomad 1
within the next 6 -8 months. The boat is currently in St
Martin FWI.
We have noted over the past few
years the bottom seems to have fallen out of the prices
being asked and obtained for such a fine vessel when
compared to inferior build of vessels being sold today.
Full specs and photos can be seen on the
following web page. You do not have to have a Facebook
page
https://www.facebook.com/svnomad/posts/
Paul & Sue LaFrance





Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Endoscope to see where you cannot

amelforme
 

Hi Bill. A buddy of mine who is an aircraft A&P recently bought that one or something similar which was OK in broad daylight which is to say it was near useless when used as intended. A lighting system is essential to make these tools useful.

 

I am very trepidatious when considering stuff from Harbor Freight in the USA as a lot of it is substandard Chinese junk which doesn’t last. I did buy a CEN-TECH 61838 hi-res digital video inspection camera/borescope from them for $129 on sale. Great tool. Fully adjustable lighting, zoom, video recording chip with export to external monitor/computer using supplied USB cord. I use it for about an hour on each Amel boat  I am sizing up for listing for sale. A good look at  difficult to access areas which can manifest evidence of concern, or worse, saves a lot of grief that can come if discovered during the buyers survey. I use it for all kinds of other stuff, including looking into the motor on my Formula Ford after each event to see if something bad is about to happen. Looking for evidence of critters in concealed areas in the attic and eaves. I was even able to size up a closed/wasted area in our kitchen to determine a wine cooler fridge could fit in this dead space. THAT more than paid for it!

 

Could not be happier as it does everything well, unlike similar and often more expensive units I also considered. I found that everything under $100 was not a worthy purchase but admit I quit looking after the first few I tried were not suitable.

 

Hope this helps.

 

Joel

 

Joel F. Potter/Cruising Yacht Specialist LLC

THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY

954 462 5869 office

954 812 2485 cell

 

   

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:06 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Endoscope to see where you cannot

 

 

 

I just saw this endoscope for your phone. Does anyone have this?

 

I do not have one of these, but?? It is too bad that it does not have a light on the camera end. I can think of numerous times I would have used this. I wonder if the quality is there?? But for $20, maybe it is a worthwhile risk.

 

 

Best,

 

Bill

X-BeBe


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Wet Exhast Elbow/Hose - Yanmar 100 HP

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Paul,

Here is the link to the one that a lot of us have bought:


Bill
X-BeBe

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 5:52 AM, pstas2003 <no_reply@...> wrote:
 

Mark,

Just wanted to say thanks.  I followed your instructions and the hose was able to be removed from the elbow with little effort.  Additionally, the hose didn’t show any signs of cracking or dryness, so I just swapped out the elbow.

Thanks again for you assistance on this one and thank you to all who contributed some wisdom regarding the topic.


Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Sailing Saint Lucia

RitaKathryn.com



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Selling An Amel SM

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Good morning Paul & Sue,

Sorry you are putting Nomad on the market…
I don’t know what is the market, personally I look at Caribe yacht (where I purchased my boat) for price comparaison:
http://www.caraibe-yachts.com/fr/occasions.php?recherche=constructeur&constructeur=1&longueur=0:0
If you have VAT paid, make sure to mention it, very appealing for European buyers.
Where is your boat in St Martin? I am going there in April, haven’t decided yet on the marina, thinking of Anse Marcel, would love some feedback from you.
Plus would be nice to meet you.
Yes it is unfortunate many buyers think that a boat is a boat and don’t look at the quality…

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Harbor View Marina, Tortola, BVI



--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 2/15/17, pflafrance@hotmail.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Selling An Amel SM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 8:49 AM


 









Good day all
We are currently
looking at selling our SM #362 Nomad 1. Upon looking at
various sites for vessels for sale the prices seem all over
the map. A broker suggested a price of $315,000  USD. The
reasoning was the vessel is in turnkey condition with such
low hours on the engine and genset.
Anyone
with advice on the pricing to ensure a fair price would be
appreciated.
We would like to sell Nomad 1
within the next 6 -8 months. The boat is currently in St
Martin FWI.
We have noted over the past few
years the bottom seems to have fallen out of the prices
being asked and obtained for such a fine vessel when
compared to inferior build of vessels being sold today.
Full specs and photos can be seen on the
following web page. You do not have to have a Facebook
page
https://www.facebook.com/svnomad/posts/
Paul & Sue LaFrance


Selling An Amel SM

pflafrance@...
 

Good day all
We are currently looking at selling our SM #362 Nomad 1. Upon looking at various sites for vessels for sale the prices seem all over the map. A broker suggested a price of $315,000  USD. The reasoning was the vessel is in turnkey condition with such low hours on the engine and genset.
Anyone with advice on the pricing to ensure a fair price would be appreciated.
We would like to sell Nomad 1 within the next 6 -8 months. The boat is currently in St Martin FWI.
We have noted over the past few years the bottom seems to have fallen out of the prices being asked and obtained for such a fine vessel when compared to inferior build of vessels being sold today.
Full specs and photos can be seen on the following web page. You do not have to have a Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/svnomad/posts/

Paul & Sue LaFrance



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Wet Exhast Elbow/Hose - Yanmar 100 HP

Mark Erdos
 

Hi Paul,

 

Glad it all worked out for you. Depending on if Yanmah shipped one of the improved elbows, or not, they last about 4 years. A good replacement are the stainless ones available on ebay (others have posted). It might be a good item to have as a spare.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currenlty cruising – Warderick Wells – Exuma Islands, Bahamas

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of pstas2003
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:52 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Wet Exhast Elbow/Hose - Yanmar 100 HP

 

 

Mark,

Just wanted to say thanks.  I followed your instructions and the hose was able to be removed from the elbow with little effort.  Additionally, the hose didn’t show any signs of cracking or dryness, so I just swapped out the elbow.

Thanks again for you assistance on this one and thank you to all who contributed some wisdom regarding the topic.


Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Sailing Saint Lucia

RitaKathryn.com


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

Porter McRoberts <portermcroberts@...>
 

That's a great idea. Thanks Jean Pierre!


On Feb 15, 2017, at 7:48 AM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hello Porter,


On my SM, I installed a hydraulic AP on the rudder bellcrank.  I placed the pump in the engine bay on the aft bulkhead and it is barely audible in the aft cabin.

Crossed the ATL with only the hyd selected.  Good kit.  I carry a spare for every electronic NAV component on the boat…

Jean-Pierre Germain,
Eleuthera SM007
Now in Jolly Harbour Antigua.



On 15 Feb 2017, at 08:42, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
era, SM 007

 

Outstanding!  And very appreciated!  
Thank you Eric I'll be in touch as things shape up. 
Would be cool to have an amel regatta us east coast!  
Porter


On Feb 15, 2017, at 3:41 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

HI,

There are slips and moorings available at my club, the Huntington yacht club. About 35 miles from Manhattan, a one hour train ride.

Hope to see you.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:58 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

 

 

Eric. Plan is to sail up to ny this summer. Likely August. Will be in contact!


On Feb 13, 2017, at 12:22 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Welcome aboard,

If you happen to be in St Maarten this winter or Long Island this summer , please drop me a note.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:02 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

 

 

Welcome Dan and Lori

 

Great to hear it all went well and that you are planning to be active in this group. You would certainly have a wonderful boat having purchased Bill & Judy. Wishing you both many happy years of sailing on SV BeBe.

 

Colin & Lauren Streeter

Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

Brisbane

 

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:00 AM, dancarlson367@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi all, it's been a month now since we moved aboard, so we are overdue to check in. We are Dan and Lori Carlson, the proud new owners of SM387, sv BeBe. I can't say enough good about the whole buying process. We spent 4 days with Bill and Judy in Trinidad in July when we agreed on the purchase. In January we joined them again in the USVI for 16 days to close on the sale and learn all we could about the boat and how to live comfortably aboard. They were an amazing resource for us to get an accelerated start on cruising; Bill for all things technical, going through all of the routine service tasks as well as the sustantial stock of spares for most things that can go wrong and Judy's instruction and tips for how to keep the boat comfortable and all of the great places to go. The boat was in pristine condition and all systems ready to go.
We are looking forward to slowly working our way south and east over the next 5 months before taking a break for the summer.
And yes, the Amel Owners group was a strong selling point for the boat. And yes, I have already started on some boat maintenance chores and hope to share more on this forum in the future.



 

--

Colin Streeter

0411 016 445








Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Endoscope to see where you cannot

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

I have a regular endoscope onboard (with light).

Sincerely, Alexandre


--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 2/15/17, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@svbebe.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Endoscope to see where you cannot
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 7:05 AM


 









 
I just saw this endoscope for your
phone. Does anyone have this?
I do not have one of these, but?? It
is too bad that it does not have a light on the camera end.
I can think of numerous times I would have used this. I
wonder if the quality is there?? But for $20, maybe it is a
worthwhile risk.
https://phoneendoscope.com/products/smartphone-waterproof-endoscope-inspection-camera-for-android-devices
Best,
BillX-BeBe










#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269 --
#yiv1499195269ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mkp #yiv1499195269hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mkp #yiv1499195269ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mkp .yiv1499195269ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mkp .yiv1499195269ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mkp .yiv1499195269ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1499195269ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1499195269ygrp-lc #yiv1499195269hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-sponsor
#yiv1499195269ygrp-lc .yiv1499195269ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269activity span
.yiv1499195269underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv1499195269 .yiv1499195269attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv1499195269 .yiv1499195269attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1499195269 .yiv1499195269attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1499195269 .yiv1499195269attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv1499195269 .yiv1499195269attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1499195269 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv1499195269 .yiv1499195269bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1499195269 .yiv1499195269bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1499195269 dd.yiv1499195269last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1499195269 dd.yiv1499195269last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1499195269 dd.yiv1499195269last p
span.yiv1499195269yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv1499195269 div.yiv1499195269attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1499195269 div.yiv1499195269attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv1499195269 div.yiv1499195269file-title a, #yiv1499195269
div.yiv1499195269file-title a:active, #yiv1499195269
div.yiv1499195269file-title a:hover, #yiv1499195269
div.yiv1499195269file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1499195269 div.yiv1499195269photo-title a,
#yiv1499195269 div.yiv1499195269photo-title a:active,
#yiv1499195269 div.yiv1499195269photo-title a:hover,
#yiv1499195269 div.yiv1499195269photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1499195269 div#yiv1499195269ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv1499195269ygrp-msg p a span.yiv1499195269yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv1499195269 .yiv1499195269green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv1499195269 .yiv1499195269MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv1499195269 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv1499195269 .yiv1499195269replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv1499195269 input, #yiv1499195269 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv1499195269
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-mlmsg #yiv1499195269logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}


#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-msg
p#yiv1499195269attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-reco
#yiv1499195269reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-sponsor #yiv1499195269ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-sponsor #yiv1499195269ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-sponsor #yiv1499195269ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv1499195269 #yiv1499195269ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv1499195269


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Endoscope to see where you cannot

James Alton
 

Bill,

   Try a search for boroscopes.  Most of them have the light and some have some fairly high resolution cameras.  I have found them useful for snooping around in behind liners and such to determine the condition of concealed structures etc.

Best,

James

SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Feb 15, 2017, at 8:05 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


 
I just saw this endoscope for your phone. Does anyone have this?

I do not have one of these, but?? It is too bad that it does not have a light on the camera end. I can think of numerous times I would have used this. I wonder if the quality is there?? But for $20, maybe it is a worthwhile risk.


Best,

Bill
X-BeBe



Endoscope to see where you cannot

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

 
I just saw this endoscope for your phone. Does anyone have this?

I do not have one of these, but?? It is too bad that it does not have a light on the camera end. I can think of numerous times I would have used this. I wonder if the quality is there?? But for $20, maybe it is a worthwhile risk.


Best,

Bill
X-BeBe


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>
 

Hello Porter,

On my SM, I installed a hydraulic AP on the rudder bellcrank.  I placed the pump in the engine bay on the aft bulkhead and it is barely audible in the aft cabin.

Crossed the ATL with only the hyd selected.  Good kit.  I carry a spare for every electronic NAV component on the boat…

Jean-Pierre Germain,
Eleuthera SM007
Now in Jolly Harbour Antigua.



On 15 Feb 2017, at 08:42, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
era, SM 007

 

Outstanding!  And very appreciated!  
Thank you Eric I'll be in touch as things shape up. 
Would be cool to have an amel regatta us east coast!  
Porter


On Feb 15, 2017, at 3:41 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

HI,

There are slips and moorings available at my club, the Huntington yacht club. About 35 miles from Manhattan, a one hour train ride.

Hope to see you.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:58 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

 

 

Eric. Plan is to sail up to ny this summer. Likely August. Will be in contact!


On Feb 13, 2017, at 12:22 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Welcome aboard,

If you happen to be in St Maarten this winter or Long Island this summer , please drop me a note.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:02 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

 

 

Welcome Dan and Lori

 

Great to hear it all went well and that you are planning to be active in this group. You would certainly have a wonderful boat having purchased Bill & Judy. Wishing you both many happy years of sailing on SV BeBe.

 

Colin & Lauren Streeter

Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

Brisbane

 

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:00 AM, dancarlson367@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi all, it's been a month now since we moved aboard, so we are overdue to check in. We are Dan and Lori Carlson, the proud new owners of SM387, sv BeBe. I can't say enough good about the whole buying process. We spent 4 days with Bill and Judy in Trinidad in July when we agreed on the purchase. In January we joined them again in the USVI for 16 days to close on the sale and learn all we could about the boat and how to live comfortably aboard. They were an amazing resource for us to get an accelerated start on cruising; Bill for all things technical, going through all of the routine service tasks as well as the sustantial stock of spares for most things that can go wrong and Judy's instruction and tips for how to keep the boat comfortable and all of the great places to go. The boat was in pristine condition and all systems ready to go.
We are looking forward to slowly working our way south and east over the next 5 months before taking a break for the summer.
And yes, the Amel Owners group was a strong selling point for the boat. And yes, I have already started on some boat maintenance chores and hope to share more on this forum in the future.



 

--

Colin Streeter

0411 016 445








Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

Porter McRoberts <portermcroberts@...>
 

Outstanding!  And very appreciated!  
Thank you Eric I'll be in touch as things shape up. 
Would be cool to have an amel regatta us east coast!  
Porter


On Feb 15, 2017, at 3:41 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

HI,

There are slips and moorings available at my club, the Huntington yacht club. About 35 miles from Manhattan, a one hour train ride.

Hope to see you.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:58 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

 

 

Eric. Plan is to sail up to ny this summer. Likely August. Will be in contact!


On Feb 13, 2017, at 12:22 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Welcome aboard,

If you happen to be in St Maarten this winter or Long Island this summer , please drop me a note.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:02 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

 

 

Welcome Dan and Lori

 

Great to hear it all went well and that you are planning to be active in this group. You would certainly have a wonderful boat having purchased Bill & Judy. Wishing you both many happy years of sailing on SV BeBe.

 

Colin & Lauren Streeter

Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

Brisbane

 

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:00 AM, dancarlson367@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi all, it's been a month now since we moved aboard, so we are overdue to check in. We are Dan and Lori Carlson, the proud new owners of SM387, sv BeBe. I can't say enough good about the whole buying process. We spent 4 days with Bill and Judy in Trinidad in July when we agreed on the purchase. In January we joined them again in the USVI for 16 days to close on the sale and learn all we could about the boat and how to live comfortably aboard. They were an amazing resource for us to get an accelerated start on cruising; Bill for all things technical, going through all of the routine service tasks as well as the sustantial stock of spares for most things that can go wrong and Judy's instruction and tips for how to keep the boat comfortable and all of the great places to go. The boat was in pristine condition and all systems ready to go.
We are looking forward to slowly working our way south and east over the next 5 months before taking a break for the summer.
And yes, the Amel Owners group was a strong selling point for the boat. And yes, I have already started on some boat maintenance chores and hope to share more on this forum in the future.



 

--

Colin Streeter

0411 016 445


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Is a Monohull (AMEL) the right choice?

James Wendell <ms42phantom54@...>
 

The newer Amel 54 comes with 2 identical hydraulic drives under the aft cabin bed. Mine has a linear electric under the bed and a rotary drive above the galley sink. I think hydraulic drives are best. I installed one on my previous boat and really liked it - quite powerful.
Jamie
 
s/v Phantom Amel 54 #044


On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:22 AM, "Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:


 
Great info and thank you!
Would you recommend one hydraulic and an electric? (Less amps in low demand situations)
Or two hydraulics ?
Porter

On Feb 14, 2017, at 2:19 PM, James Wendell ms42phantom54@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 
 

Porter,
I know you have been given lots of really good advice, but since I have an Amel 54 I thought I might chime in to give you my humble opinions if they would help you. I have lived on my boat Phantom now for more than a year and am currently cruising the windward islands in the Caribbean. I have learned quite a bit about the boat during that time and can at least offer some advice based on my life on board.

Two windlasses:
My Amel 54 came with the 2-windlass option. I have never needed the second windlass, but I find it quite comforting to know it is there. I do exercise it every once in awhile to ensure it remains fully operational. I do this because the primary windlass has suffered some significant internal corrosion and I have lost the chain counter function. Having the second windlass ready to deploy is critical in my situation. I will be replacing the primary unit upon return to the US this summer. However, I agree with the consensus that a single windlass is just fine if properly maintained.

Solar:  
I wholeheartedly agree with the more is better philosophy here. You cannot have too much. I installed an arch with the biggest panels I could fit, giving me 570 watts. While it helps, I can tell you that it will not keep up with the battery requirements. I have a D400 wind generator as well, but I find wind generators far less beneficial than solar - at least during the day. During the day in the Caribbean with full sun I have seen nearly 540 watts at times, with an average of 350 more the norm. If the sun is out I am able to keep up with my 18-amp load for about 3 hours or so. I am going to add more in the way of a 140 watt Solbian flexible panel on the dodger. I just have to get to installing it. That will help even more. But I have to run the generator every day for an hour or two to keep my 660AH batteries happy. As others have noted, I use the generator run to make water and do laundry, etc. I also installed a Watt and Sea, which really helps on passage.

Autopilot:
My Amel 54 also has the dual autopilot option. During my research on Amel 54's I never saw one with just the single autopilot. I have already experienced a failure where I had to switch on passage. I have the linear/rotary autopilot drive system, which is fine, but the newer 54's come with dual hydraulic linears, which I believe also included dual computers. Mine has a single computer with 2 drives. I would highly recommend the dual setup in either case.

Circumnavigation
I do not yet feel qualified to advise on circumnavigation. While I intend to do the World ARC in a year or so, I would not attempt that until I fully confident the boat is ready - and me as well. Getting to know the boat and ensuring everything is in top shape has been my priority. I would consider my current cruising in the Caribbean a good shake-down. However, I can assure you that the Amel 54 is a FANTASTIC boat. I can actually solo sail it - not that I will or intend to do so, but it is so well thought out I could do it. Two could cruise the world in supreme comfort for sure.

s/v Phantom Amel 54 #044




On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:26 AM, "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


 
Porter,

As Joel said, we all have our opinions, and at least mine are worth what you pay for them... so here are mine:

Two windlasses:
 This is not an important option in my thinking.  Take good care of one, and you'll not have problems. There are always ways to get an anchor up without the windlass.  They might not be much fun, but it can be done. The extra weight DOES matter up on the very end of the boat.  And it is not just the weight of the windlass, but the weight of the second anchor moved out to live full time on the roller, and its chain now always lives in the chainlocker.  Using two anchors at once certainly does happen, but not often unless you are cruising full time in the Bahamas, even then it is onlynsomething like 10 or 20% of the places you'll drop the hook.

Solar:  
More is better--always.  The old joke, "How much much money does it take to go cruising? All you have!" is doubly true of power usage. People who installed 400 watts of solar are likely to say that that it the right amount, people who installed 300 (or 500) will say the same. I doubt you will ever run into anybody who wishes they had installed less! We put 600W of high efficiency panels on an arch because that was all we could fit. If there was an easy, attractive, and safe way to rig 800W, I'd do it.  Our 600W panels supply the boat, but not us.  

Here is what I mean:  If we are plugged into shore power I will typically turn off the battery charger and just let the panels top off the batteries every day while our AC needs are met from shore power. The panels just keep up with our two refrigerators, one freezer, cabin lights and other miscellaneous DC power needs. 

If we are at anchor, our personnel power use for electronics and other small uses just overtop the panels supplies most day and we need to run the generator a little each early morning, which is when we run the watermaker.  Less the watermaker--our overall use of DC power at anchor is about 1.8 to 2.5 kW-hrs per day

Autopilot:
If you are crossing oceans, two autopilots is barely enough. They work great--until they don't. Do as Joel Potter suggests (always a good idea!) They are complex electro-mechanical devices and failure is not just an option, it is to be expected.  Hand steering with a short handed crew on a long passage is not fun.

Bill Rouse's number of an autopilot failure one in ten passages would lead to an expectation that both would fail in one out of 100 passages.  I once sailed 800 ocean miles without an autopilot.  I would really, REALLY prefer to never do THAT again.

Circumnavigation
Don't let anybody tell you how long is right for YOU.  It is like someone trying to tell me I should like Brussels Sprouts because they taste so good and EVERYBODY loves them!  One one end, I know of someone who set out on a circumnavigation and 20 years later had not left the Pacific Basin.  I know someone else who circumnavigated in 18 months stopping only for provisions and repairs.  One thing they had in common:  They both did exactly what was right for THEM and had fun doing it.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

I am so grateful for all the responses!  
We sailed this past weekend on what we hope will be our new Amel 54. Loved it. What an adventure machine!  
Thank you guys for your thoughtful and complete responses. I have no doubts nor does my beloved that we're making the right choice. 

I do have a few other questions if you would bear them:

One windlass or 2?

How much solar is enough, how much too much? Is there ever too much?

Is one autopilot enough or is a backup the way to go?

The plan is a 4 year circumnavigation. Maybe 7? Maybe 2. 

You guys are such a great crew and I really appreciate it. 

Porter McRoberts. 









Re: Wet Exhast Elbow/Hose - Yanmar 100 HP

pstas2003 <no_reply@...>
 

Mark,

Just wanted to say thanks.  I followed your instructions and the hose was able to be removed from the elbow with little effort.  Additionally, the hose didn’t show any signs of cracking or dryness, so I just swapped out the elbow.

Thanks again for you assistance on this one and thank you to all who contributed some wisdom regarding the topic.


Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Sailing Saint Lucia

RitaKathryn.com


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

eric freedman
 

HI,

There are slips and moorings available at my club, the Huntington yacht club. About 35 miles from Manhattan, a one hour train ride.

Hope to see you.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:58 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

 

 

Eric. Plan is to sail up to ny this summer. Likely August. Will be in contact!


On Feb 13, 2017, at 12:22 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Welcome aboard,

If you happen to be in St Maarten this winter or Long Island this summer , please drop me a note.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:02 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Proud new SM owners:

 

 

Welcome Dan and Lori

 

Great to hear it all went well and that you are planning to be active in this group. You would certainly have a wonderful boat having purchased Bill & Judy. Wishing you both many happy years of sailing on SV BeBe.

 

Colin & Lauren Streeter

Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

Brisbane

 

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:00 AM, dancarlson367@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi all, it's been a month now since we moved aboard, so we are overdue to check in. We are Dan and Lori Carlson, the proud new owners of SM387, sv BeBe. I can't say enough good about the whole buying process. We spent 4 days with Bill and Judy in Trinidad in July when we agreed on the purchase. In January we joined them again in the USVI for 16 days to close on the sale and learn all we could about the boat and how to live comfortably aboard. They were an amazing resource for us to get an accelerated start on cruising; Bill for all things technical, going through all of the routine service tasks as well as the sustantial stock of spares for most things that can go wrong and Judy's instruction and tips for how to keep the boat comfortable and all of the great places to go. The boat was in pristine condition and all systems ready to go.
We are looking forward to slowly working our way south and east over the next 5 months before taking a break for the summer.
And yes, the Amel Owners group was a strong selling point for the boat. And yes, I have already started on some boat maintenance chores and hope to share more on this forum in the future.



 

--

Colin Streeter

0411 016 445