Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo

Ryan Meador
 

I'd like to have it, too.  This seems like something that would be a great candidate for uploading to the file store on the yahoo site, then everyone can have it at once and forever.

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Bill,

I’d love a copy if you don’t mind. Flyboyscd at gmail dot com. 

Thanks,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Ko Olina, Hawaii

On Mar 19, 2018, at 09:08, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Bill, I don't know what hell a "vector graphic file" is or looks like, but it sounds like it would help in getting one made , so please send it to me.

Thanks Much,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Mon, Mar 19, 2018 1:17 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo

 
Pat (or anyone else interested)

If it would help, I have a vector graphic file of the Amel Logo that should be way easier for someone to work with than a photo.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Moraine Cay, Abacos, Bahamas



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo

Stephen Davis
 

Hi Bill,

I’d love a copy if you don’t mind. Flyboyscd at gmail dot com. 

Thanks,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Ko Olina, Hawaii

On Mar 19, 2018, at 09:08, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Bill, I don't know what hell a "vector graphic file" is or looks like, but it sounds like it would help in getting one made , so please send it to me.

Thanks Much,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Mon, Mar 19, 2018 1:17 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo

 
Pat (or anyone else interested)

If it would help, I have a vector graphic file of the Amel Logo that should be way easier for someone to work with than a photo.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Moraine Cay, Abacos, Bahamas


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo

Patrick McAneny
 

Bill, I don't know what hell a "vector graphic file" is or looks like, but it sounds like it would help in getting one made , so please send it to me.
Thanks Much,
Pat
SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Mon, Mar 19, 2018 1:17 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo

 
Pat (or anyone else interested)

If it would help, I have a vector graphic file of the Amel Logo that should be way easier for someone to work with than a photo.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Moraine Cay, Abacos, Bahamas


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo

Siviero Attilio <attilio.siviero@...>
 

Bill
thanks, very grateful, can you share the file?
Also we should use it
Attilio

Attilio & Maria Siviero 
Amel Santorin#84 "Sisila" in Leros Partheni Boatyard


Il giorno 19 mar 2018, alle ore 18:17, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

Pat (or anyone else interested)


If it would help, I have a vector graphic file of the Amel Logo that should be way easier for someone to work with than a photo.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Moraine Cay, Abacos, Bahamas



Re: Amel logo

greatketch@...
 

Pat (or anyone else interested)

If it would help, I have a vector graphic file of the Amel Logo that should be way easier for someone to work with than a photo.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Moraine Cay, Abacos, Bahamas


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Vetus coupling

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

If same as the SM2K, then I have some... they were cheap.


--------------------------------------------

On Mon, 3/19/18, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Vetus coupling
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, March 19, 2018, 11:45 AM


 









Hi,If it is anything like
the coupling on the Super Maramu, it is not a stock
coupling. It is only available from Amel. Do you need the
coupling or just the rubber inserts?Fair
WindsEricKimberlite Amel Super
Maramu #376      From: amelyachtowners@...
[mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 10:21 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Vetus
coupling    Hi All,would anyone have the
reference of the Vetus coupling on the 54?  Many thanksThomas  GARULFO
A54#122Les
Saintes, Guadeloupe


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Vetus coupling

eric freedman
 

Hi,

If it is anything like the coupling on the Super Maramu, it is not a stock coupling. It is only available from Amel. Do you need the coupling or just the rubber inserts?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 10:21 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Vetus coupling

 

 

Hi All,

would anyone have the reference of the Vetus coupling on the 54?

 

Many thanks

Thomas

 

GARULFO A54#122

Les Saintes, Guadeloupe


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Thru-hull fitting for Depth

Barry Connor
 

Hi again Duane,

I made a mistake with the housing measurement, the inside is not 25mm. The inside is 40mm.

Regards
Barry


On Monday, March 19, 2018 10:22 AM, "brass.ring@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:


 
Check out the following link, it contains a bunch of info for Airmar products.  I had similar questions.

http://www.gemeco.com/st850.php

Mark Mueller
A54-68  Brass Ring
Ft. Lauderdale, glued to the dock waiting for parts



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

James Alton
 

Colin,

   With respect to just sealing the hole in a secure fashion with easily available materials.  I would probably remove the rest of the damaged shaft and use two pcs. of 3/4” plywood (1” if you can find it or laminate as needed),  one pc. inside and one outside with a good sized bolt passing through the center of both pcs.  If you have some large  washers it will help spread out the load needed to compress a gasket (neoprene wet suit type rubber should work) or you might be able to use caulking.  I would prefer the gasket since additional compression could be applied by tightening the bolt if needed.  I would put some caulking around the bolt shaft where it passes through the pc. of plywood on the outside of the hull but the wood will swell some and seal this part pretty well if the hole is a snug fit for the bolt.  This will of course leave the hull cutout exposed which will cause some drag but at least you could be sure that there would not be any leakage.  You should be able to install this temporary seal with the boat still in the water and it could be removed without any major cleanup to reinstall the bow thruster.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220


On Mar 19, 2018, at 10:01 AM, Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


Hi Eric

Thank you for your kind advice.

I have since been in touch with both Amel, and Alexandre.'

What a helpful forum this always is!

Best regards

Colin

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 7:52 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Colin,

I would somehow get the thruster area out of the water and glass it over.

I would then put some expanding foam in the thruster cavity.

Finally I would silicone and screw some sort of cover at the top of the 

thruster trunk.

 

I had to replace my bow thruster due to a lightning strike which blew the propeller off of the bow thruster assembly.

 

It was probably 8 years ago.

 

I received the thruster from Amel  in 2 pieces the entire thruster assembly and a v shaped piece of fiberglass that had to be trimmed and fiber glassed to the bow thruster assembly which created the hull portion of the bow thruster.

 

Were you able to recover the bow thruster? You might contact Alexandre in Sint Maarten and ask if he can salvage the bow thruster from Nikimat and ship it to you. You will probably have to replace the bearings an gears. Knowing Alexandre, he might even have a new set of bearings..

 

I believe you might have a long wait for a new bow thruster from Amel. That is why I suggest making a semi-permanent closure of the bow thruster area.

 

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] 
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 4:23 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

 

  

Hi sorry to hear of your troubles but as you rightly say it could have been much worse. 

 

I reckon that when pounding to windward there will be considerable pressure put on the seals with no plate there to take the impact. Going to windward in open ocean is not much fun at the best of times but with a niggling worry or a steady stream of water pouring in it could easily get out of hand. So you should do something. I made a similar passage in the 1990’s and Cap D’hombre on the north tip of Madagascar permanently blows at gale force. The southern Indian Ocean is a windy place, the trades tend to crank so even broad reaching the bow area will take a damn good hammering at times.

 

I would consider;

 

fitting a block of rubber/wood into the hole with silicon. The problem with wood is that it will swell and be difficult to extract.

filling the cavity with closed cell expanding foam.

How about, fitting plastic sheet to isolate the hole and then use expanding foam to fill the whole cavity, then cut it to shape and glass over the whole aperture area with epoxy and fibre glass. Then when you next haul out just grind it off  and pick out the foam and fit the new thruster, fill and prime and paint. You would need to get the bow out of the water to do the work. Perhaps going aground alongside somewhere and letting the tide drop a couple of feet to expose the area. 

 

I am sure that with a bit of lateral thinking you could blank off the aperture such that you would not need to worry about water ingress. Just make sure that you can extract and clean up what ever you do when you are ready to replace the thruster.

 

The above solution would be more watertight than the original!

 

You could also look at doing something on the inside but ………

 

 

 

Nick 

Amelia #54

On 19 Mar 2018, at 06:17, colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

 

This morning we accidentally nudged a reef here in Maldives. Fortunately we were only doiing 2.5kts so no hull damage, but in getting off we sheered the bowthruster unit completely off! By this I mean it snapped at the base of the shaft where the shaft gear meets the rotary gear.

 

I dived and we fortunately have absolutely no damage, other than needing a full new Bowthruster unit from the shaft top down - ie just the removable unit. Just some paint scratches at bottom of keel which are no problem.

 

All in all, we were fortunate to be going slowly, and to get off quickly as the tide was dropping, or we would be high and dry right now, with real potential for hull damage as the water dropped and the boat rested on the rocks.

 

I am waiting to get in touch with Maud at Amel when they open today, however have two quick questions for the group in the interim:

 

1) Anyone know what the bowthruster unit costs new and if Amel have them in stock?

 

2) We just have the shaft in the water, no cover plate as that is sheered off.. In current flat water at 3 - 7kts boat speed tested, we have no water coming in through the bowthruster unit at all. Has anyone had experience sailing without the cover plate in big seas? Did you take on water?

 

Having departed from Australia almost a year ago, and enjoyed cruising all of Indonesia and SE Asia with absolute trouble free cruising in this boat, we are now half way across the North Indian Ocean, and next about to cross the Southern Indian Ocean, so have every chance of big wild seas ahead. From here in the Maldives we head to Chagos next mid April till mid May, then head south to Rodriguez (June), Mauritius (July), then Reunion (July/Aug), and back up and around the top of Madagascar (NosyB - Aug/Sept) and down to Cape Town.

 

Our current intentions are to return to Male, the capital of Maldives, to h ave a new bowthruster shipped here from Amel. Depending on how long that may take Amel, and the levels of import duty in the various Indian Ocean countries,  we may need to attempt the balance of Indian Ocean crossing without it, but that worries me a lot.



This is the reason I seek the wisdom of this group, from those of you who know best, and possibly even some who may have even experienced the same issue of cruising on without the bowthruster foot and cover plate in place?

 

Many thanks

 

Colin Streeter

SV Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

svislandpearl.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 





-- 
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445



Re: Thru-hull fitting for Depth

Mark & Debbie Mueller
 

Check out the following link, it contains a bunch of info for Airmar products.  I had similar questions.

http://www.gemeco.com/st850.php

Mark Mueller
A54-68  Brass Ring
Ft. Lauderdale, glued to the dock waiting for parts


Vetus coupling

Sv Garulfo
 

Hi All,
would anyone have the reference of the Vetus coupling on the 54?

Many thanks
Thomas

GARULFO A54#122
Les Saintes, Guadeloupe


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

islandpearl2_sm2k332
 

Hi Eric

Thank you for your kind advice.

I have since been in touch with both Amel, and Alexandre.'

What a helpful forum this always is!

Best regards

Colin

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 7:52 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Colin,

I would somehow get the thruster area out of the water and glass it over.

I would then put some expanding foam in the thruster cavity.

Finally I would silicone and screw some sort of cover at the top of the

thruster trunk.

 

I had to replace my bow thruster due to a lightning strike which blew the propeller off of the bow thruster assembly.

 

It was probably 8 years ago.

 

I received the thruster from Amel  in 2 pieces the entire thruster assembly and a v shaped piece of fiberglass that had to be trimmed and fiber glassed to the bow thruster assembly which created the hull portion of the bow thruster.

 

Were you able to recover the bow thruster? You might contact Alexandre in Sint Maarten and ask if he can salvage the bow thruster from Nikimat and ship it to you. You will probably have to replace the bearings an gears. Knowing Alexandre, he might even have a new set of bearings.

 

I believe you might have a long wait for a new bow thruster from Amel. That is why I suggest making a semi-permanent closure of the bow thruster area.

 

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 4:23 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

 

 

Hi sorry to hear of your troubles but as you rightly say it could have been much worse. 

 

I reckon that when pounding to windward there will be considerable pressure put on the seals with no plate there to take the impact. Going to windward in open ocean is not much fun at the best of times but with a niggling worry or a steady stream of water pouring in it could easily get out of hand. So you should do something. I made a similar passage in the 1990’s and Cap D’hombre on the north tip of Madagascar permanently blows at gale force. The southern Indian Ocean is a windy place, the trades tend to crank so even broad reaching the bow area will take a damn good hammering at times.

 

I would consider;

 

fitting a block of rubber/wood into the hole with silicon. The problem with wood is that it will swell and be difficult to extract.

filling the cavity with closed cell expanding foam.

How about, fitting plastic sheet to isolate the hole and then use expanding foam to fill the whole cavity, then cut it to shape and glass over the whole aperture area with epoxy and fibre glass. Then when you next haul out just grind it off  and pick out the foam and fit the new thruster, fill and prime and paint. You would need to get the bow out of the water to do the work. Perhaps going aground alongside somewhere and letting the tide drop a couple of feet to expose the area. 

 

I am sure that with a bit of lateral thinking you could blank off the aperture such that you would not need to worry about water ingress. Just make sure that you can extract and clean up what ever you do when you are ready to replace the thruster.

 

The above solution would be more watertight than the original!

 

You could also look at doing something on the inside but ………

 

 

 

Nick 

Amelia #54

On 19 Mar 2018, at 06:17, colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

 

This morning we accidentally nudged a reef here in Maldives. Fortunately we were only doiing 2.5kts so no hull damage, but in getting off we sheered the bowthruster unit completely off! By this I mean it snapped at the base of the shaft where the shaft gear meets the rotary gear.

 

I dived and we fortunately have absolutely no damage, other than needing a full new Bowthruster unit from the shaft top down - ie just the removable unit. Just some paint scratches at bottom of keel which are no problem.

 

All in all, we were fortunate to be going slowly, and to get off quickly as the tide was dropping, or we would be high and dry right now, with real potential for hull damage as the water dropped and the boat rested on the rocks.

 

I am waiting to get in touch with Maud at Amel when they open today, however have two quick questions for the group in the interim:

 

1) Anyone know what the bowthruster unit costs new and if Amel have them in stock?

 

2) We just have the shaft in the water, no cover plate as that is sheered off.. In current flat water at 3 - 7kts boat speed tested, we have no water coming in through the bowthruster unit at all. Has anyone had experience sailing without the cover plate in big seas? Did you take on water?

 

Having departed from Australia almost a year ago, and enjoyed cruising all of Indonesia and SE Asia with absolute trouble free cruising in this boat, we are now half way across the North Indian Ocean, and next about to cross the Southern Indian Ocean, so have every chance of big wild seas ahead. From here in the Maldives we head to Chagos next mid April till mid May, then head south to Rodriguez (June), Mauritius (July), then Reunion (July/Aug), and back up and around the top of Madagascar (NosyB - Aug/Sept) and down to Cape Town.

 

Our current intentions are to return to Male, the capital of Maldives, to h ave a new bowthruster shipped here from Amel. Depending on how long that may take Amel, and the levels of import duty in the various Indian Ocean countries,  we may need to attempt the balance of Indian Ocean crossing without it, but that worries me a lot.



This is the reason I seek the wisdom of this group, from those of you who know best, and possibly even some who may have even experienced the same issue of cruising on without the bowthruster foot and cover plate in place?

 

Many thanks

 

Colin Streeter

SV Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

svislandpearl.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Alternating hot and cold water in showers

greatketch@...
 

The alternating hot/cold water problem is very common on many boats.  The usual cause is the constantly changing water pressure when you have a on/off pressure switch on the supply pump.  The accumulator tank helps, but really all it does is slow down the rate of change by allowing the pump to cycle more slowly. You'll know right away off this is the issue, because the temperature will change "in time" with the pump cycling.

A couple of things you can do that might help:  Most of the water heaters on Amels have a "tempering valve" on the outlet to bleed cold water into the hot to control the temperature.  If that is acting up, it is possible the temperature of your hot water is not constant, which would cause the problem.

If you have a tempering valve, adjust the temperature on it as low as you can.  Typically people set these WAY higher than they need to be.  If you set it just a bit hotter than you want for a shower (maybe 40-45C/105-110F) you'll find the shower is much better behaved.

Don't use the shower with the cold water "full on" and a trickle of hot to adjust the temperature.  Set the flow rate just a little lower than "full on" and the temperature will change less as the pressure cycles.

The only complete fix I know of is to switch to a pump with a modern variable speed drive that keeps a constant water pressure.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Moraine Cay, Abacos, Bahamas




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New member question

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Good morning Paul,
Congratulations for looking for an Amel!

3300 hours is “nothing” for a properly maintained Diesel engine.
Personally I would stick with original equipment, it will be easier to get help from the Amel Forum.

Since you are going to Martinique, have you looked at Caraibe Yachts.
This is where I purchased my SM2K five years ago.
I used Jean Paul Bahuaud jp.bahuaud@... and was very happy with the service.
I think now he has Olaf’ Santorin in his inventory, who now purchased an SM2K
http://www.caraibe-yachts.com/fr/occasions.php?recherche=constructeur&constructeur=1&longueur=0:0
I am sure this is a very well maintain vessel.

Sincerely, Alexandre




--------------------------------------------

On Sun, 3/18/18, paul.cooper74@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] New member question
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 4:54 PM


 









Hello
all, I just registered with this group because, after
careful consideration of several bluewater yacht brands (we
are past Pacific Seacraft owners), and time spent as crew on
a Super Maramu, we have (almost) decided to purchase our own
Amel.  Next week we are headed for Martinique to look at a
few and I have a question for the group.
We will be looking at 2 Santorins
and a SM.  
My
question:  One of the Santorins, a 1991, was re-powered
in 2011 with a "Midif MD 1760."  Looking this up
I find it is a 50-hp turbocharged Mitsubishi-built engine,
distributed by Midif in France.  I could find no reviews or
discussion on this engine anywhere online.  Does anybody
have any experience with or reliable info on this engine?
 Reliability?  Is it suitable for a Santorin?  I assume
all parts and support would need to come from the
distributor in France.  
I will know more after a week on
Martinique, but I am trying to be a well-informed
shopper...
The other
Santorin, a 1999, while "younger", has its
original Volvo engine with 3300 hr (and original standing
rigging), vs. the "older" Santorin which has the
young Midif engine with 812 hr (and new standing rigging and
seacocks). 
Don't
want to post too much at once.  Thanks for any
advice.
Regards,
Paul
Cooper


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Do you want a spare Linear Actuator control board?

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Very impressive Mark !!! Great work!
Sincerely, Alexandre



--------------------------------------------

On Sun, 3/18/18, mfmcgovern@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Do you want a spare Linear Actuator control board?
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 4:27 PM


 











In an odd coincidence, I was working on a making a
replacement PCB for the Bowthruster Linear Actuator before
Duane made this post. I didn't want to say something
about it on the forum until I actually had one completed and
tested on my boat though I did reach out to Duane through an
intermediary to let him know that I was already in the
process of making a replacement. I finally finished the
successful testing of the prototype this past weekend.



I uploaded some pics of the prototype PCB on the forums
here:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/photos/albums/1697584458



And here is a link to a video of the bowthruster being
lowered and raised back up using the the prototype PCB:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/107vwBIrFxJI3APtEOF7hsBGKZMM6B8lP/view?usp=drivesdk



The PCB design mimics the original one in my SM #440 as much
as possible. It has a 10 amp fuse and the traces are all
sized larger than the original PCB. I used the original
components wherever I could. So far I've made only the
one board, but if anyone else is interested, I can readily
make more within a few weeks and can offer them for sale at
$250 each (plus shipping) with a 3 year warranty. You can
contact me at mfmcgovern at gmail.com if you are interested.




I hope this helps some of you. My next project is to
attempt to make a drop in replacement for my non-functioning
chain counter display unit. I expect this one will be a bit
more difficult but I will let you know if and when it is
done!



Regards,

Mark McGovern

SM #440 Cara

Deale, MD USA


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

islandpearl2_sm2k332
 

Thanks Paul
Glad to hear Maud is still there as she has always been pretty responsive when contacti g her in the past.
We emailed her direct 5 hours ago.
Best Regards
Colin

On 19 Mar. 2018 15:16, "osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

We bought new bow thruster propellers a few weeks ago, and then we communicated with Maud, everything went very swift

Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

eric freedman
 

Colin,

I would somehow get the thruster area out of the water and glass it over.

I would then put some expanding foam in the thruster cavity.

Finally I would silicone and screw some sort of cover at the top of the

thruster trunk.

 

I had to replace my bow thruster due to a lightning strike which blew the propeller off of the bow thruster assembly.

 

It was probably 8 years ago.

 

I received the thruster from Amel  in 2 pieces the entire thruster assembly and a v shaped piece of fiberglass that had to be trimmed and fiber glassed to the bow thruster assembly which created the hull portion of the bow thruster.

 

Were you able to recover the bow thruster? You might contact Alexandre in Sint Maarten and ask if he can salvage the bow thruster from Nikimat and ship it to you. You will probably have to replace the bearings an gears. Knowing Alexandre, he might even have a new set of bearings.

 

I believe you might have a long wait for a new bow thruster from Amel. That is why I suggest making a semi-permanent closure of the bow thruster area.

 

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 4:23 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

 

 

Hi sorry to hear of your troubles but as you rightly say it could have been much worse. 

 

I reckon that when pounding to windward there will be considerable pressure put on the seals with no plate there to take the impact. Going to windward in open ocean is not much fun at the best of times but with a niggling worry or a steady stream of water pouring in it could easily get out of hand. So you should do something. I made a similar passage in the 1990’s and Cap D’hombre on the north tip of Madagascar permanently blows at gale force. The southern Indian Ocean is a windy place, the trades tend to crank so even broad reaching the bow area will take a damn good hammering at times.

 

I would consider;

 

fitting a block of rubber/wood into the hole with silicon. The problem with wood is that it will swell and be difficult to extract.

filling the cavity with closed cell expanding foam.

How about, fitting plastic sheet to isolate the hole and then use expanding foam to fill the whole cavity, then cut it to shape and glass over the whole aperture area with epoxy and fibre glass. Then when you next haul out just grind it off  and pick out the foam and fit the new thruster, fill and prime and paint. You would need to get the bow out of the water to do the work. Perhaps going aground alongside somewhere and letting the tide drop a couple of feet to expose the area. 

 

I am sure that with a bit of lateral thinking you could blank off the aperture such that you would not need to worry about water ingress. Just make sure that you can extract and clean up what ever you do when you are ready to replace the thruster.

 

The above solution would be more watertight than the original!

 

You could also look at doing something on the inside but ………

 

 

 

Nick 

Amelia #54

On 19 Mar 2018, at 06:17, colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

 

This morning we accidentally nudged a reef here in Maldives. Fortunately we were only doiing 2.5kts so no hull damage, but in getting off we sheered the bowthruster unit completely off! By this I mean it snapped at the base of the shaft where the shaft gear meets the rotary gear.

 

I dived and we fortunately have absolutely no damage, other than needing a full new Bowthruster unit from the shaft top down - ie just the removable unit. Just some paint scratches at bottom of keel which are no problem.

 

All in all, we were fortunate to be going slowly, and to get off quickly as the tide was dropping, or we would be high and dry right now, with real potential for hull damage as the water dropped and the boat rested on the rocks.

 

I am waiting to get in touch with Maud at Amel when they open today, however have two quick questions for the group in the interim:

 

1) Anyone know what the bowthruster unit costs new and if Amel have them in stock?

 

2) We just have the shaft in the water, no cover plate as that is sheered off.. In current flat water at 3 - 7kts boat speed tested, we have no water coming in through the bowthruster unit at all. Has anyone had experience sailing without the cover plate in big seas? Did you take on water?

 

Having departed from Australia almost a year ago, and enjoyed cruising all of Indonesia and SE Asia with absolute trouble free cruising in this boat, we are now half way across the North Indian Ocean, and next about to cross the Southern Indian Ocean, so have every chance of big wild seas ahead. From here in the Maldives we head to Chagos next mid April till mid May, then head south to Rodriguez (June), Mauritius (July), then Reunion (July/Aug), and back up and around the top of Madagascar (NosyB - Aug/Sept) and down to Cape Town.

 

Our current intentions are to return to Male, the capital of Maldives, to h ave a new bowthruster shipped here from Amel. Depending on how long that may take Amel, and the levels of import duty in the various Indian Ocean countries,  we may need to attempt the balance of Indian Ocean crossing without it, but that worries me a lot.



This is the reason I seek the wisdom of this group, from those of you who know best, and possibly even some who may have even experienced the same issue of cruising on without the bowthruster foot and cover plate in place?

 

Many thanks

 

Colin Streeter

SV Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

svislandpearl.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Thru-hull fitting for Depth

Barry Connor
 

Hello Duane,

Although I have a 54 it seems that we have the same original depth sounder.
I have been working for the past year on upgrading from NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000. I did the conversion for depth and wind by first using the Actisense NGW-1 when I put the backbone in for the new Furuno Multi Function Display TZTL12F. I ran the new display with both original displays, Furuno Marine Radar RDP-148 at helm and RDP-149 at chart table.
I have just now completed the change with a new Radar dome and new B&G depth/speed and wind package.
The depth sounder you have is what I had, D800-498. 20-386-02. Why I did not do this at first was because I could not get the correct information about using the original through hull fitting. It took time to find out that I could keep the original through hull fitting and just insert a new sounder, this is the Airmar IDST-N2000 20-033-01. The only difference is that the new through hull fitting comes with a flap on the hull fitting to slow water coming into the boat when you are changing the inserts.
The outside dimension of the both the old and new through hull fittings is 51mm outside and the inside is 25mm. 
So I installed the new sounder into the original through hull fitting with no problems.
As I'm no longer using the NMEA 0183 system I have taken out both original Furuno displays and the Actisense NGW-1.

These items together with the original Radar dome are now available if anyone needs this gear, all fittings, cables and manuals are included.

As the new Airmar sounder package comes with a paddle wheel incorporated I will not be using the originally installed sonic speed.
I hope that this information is of help.

Best Regards

Barry and Penny Connor
"Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17
Marina di Ragusa.  Sicily 


On Sunday, March 18, 2018 2:42 PM, "sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:


 
Can someone tell me about if the OEM thru-hull fitting for the Airmar depth sensor is a 51mm housing?  

Mine is marked D800-P498 on the tag attached to the sensor wire, and "20-386-02" is printed on the top of the sensor.  I'm looking at the Airmar DX900+ and it says it will retrofit into the 51mm housings.  I cannot find any legacy product information on the Airmar website.

I remember a thread not too long ago on replacing the B&G Sonic Speed with an Airmar CS4500, and someone said they had to enlarge the hole to accomodate the new sensor.  The CS4500 also notes it will retrofit into most 51mm housings, that's why I'm concerned.

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

Paul Osterberg
 

We bought new bow thruster propellers a few weeks ago, and then we communicated with Maud, everything went very swift
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

islandpearl2_sm2k332
 

Hi Nick & Alan

Many thanks for your helpful thoughts.

All
Did I hear somewhere that Maud was no longer the person to communicate with at Amel? If so who and which email address would be best for an urgent high priority response?

I do hope to hear from others and also particularly from anyone who has sailed any distance with the bowthrustet unit missing.

Fortunately this boat #332 was one of the newer 2000 models which had the nom twist box inserted just above the thruster gear unit and the break was below that, in the carbon fiber gear housing. So in our case the twist prevention block is still attached applying upward presdure on the seals to prevent water ingress. Now been 4 hours motoring back morth toeatds Male eith not a drop of water yet, but ....... this is in  flat water in Vaavu Atoll, not open Indian Ocean.

Colin Streeter
SV Island Pearl II
SM53 #332 Maldives



On 19 Mar. 2018 14:01, "divanz620@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi Colin,

Bad news indeed.
I would think that given you have no shaft, the if you put what remains of the bow thruster in the down position, the seal around the shaft and the foam seal on the motor side would probably keep most of the water out.
Good luck
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437