Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] AMFA bilge pump gear sprocket broken

Mohammad Shirloo
 

Hi Barry;
 
We ordered our spare pump and spare gear from Amel.
 
Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099
 



From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2018 11:14 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] AMFA bilge pump gear sprocket broken

 

Hi All,
Can anyone advise me how to get and repair the gear sprocket in the AMFA bilge pump on my Amel 54.
When the pump stopped working I thought it was needing the service kit, I replaced all the inner parts but then discovered that the gear sprocket had broken. The 24v electric motor is running fine. Can this nylon/plastic part be obtained and replaced?

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
“Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Split Croatia


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] AMFA bilge pump gear sprocket broken

Barry Connor
 

Thank’s Mohammad,
I will phone them this morning.
Best
Barry


On Jun 25, 2018, at 8:33 AM, 'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Barry;
 
We ordered our spare pump and spare gear from Amel.
 
Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099
 


From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2018 11:14 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] AMFA bilge pump gear sprocket broken

 

Hi All,
Can anyone advise me how to get and repair the gear sprocket in the AMFA bilge pump on my Amel 54.
When the pump stopped working I thought it was needing the service kit, I replaced all the inner parts but then discovered that the gear sprocket had broken. The 24v electric motor is running fine. Can this nylon/plastic part be obtained and replaced?

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
“Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Split Croatia


AMFA bilge pump gear sprocket broken

Barry Connor
 

Hi All,
Can anyone advise me how to get and repair the gear sprocket in the AMFA bilge pump on my Amel 54.
When the pump stopped working I thought it was needing the service kit, I replaced all the inner parts but then discovered that the gear sprocket had broken. The 24v electric motor is running fine. Can this nylon/plastic part be obtained and replaced?

Best Regards

Barry and Penny
“Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54. #17
Split Croatia


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Boots for spreaders

ngtnewington Newington
 

Hi James,
I find that it depends on the sea conditions and point of sail. On my recent passage to the Azores we only motored about 24 hrs all told.
With a smooth sea and apparent wind forward we sailed in the lightest of airs with the sails quiet.
At times doing 3 kn boat speed. However one night sailing in the front we had 30-42 kn true wind dead astern. Rough and confused with a cross swell. The front passed and wind dropped to 12-15  kn true, still dead aft. The slatting was horrible, nerve jangling and terrible for the sails. We motored for 8 hours, bare poled down wind in a solid breeze. Once the sea settled down we started sailing again. Saved a lot of wear and tear.

No hard and fast rules.

Nick s/y Amelia #54


On 24 Jun 2018, at 00:40, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Bill Rouse,


   Thanks for sharing some of the rules that you use when deciding when to sail, motor sail or just motor that I assume were developed over many years of sailing your Amel.  

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Jun 23, 2018, at 6:52 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:




bow thruster seal replacement

sailunavida@...
 

How hard is it to replace the up position seal to stop leaking while underway on SM 2000? In the water?


Re: For Sale, Super Maramu # 180

sailunavida@...
 

how much?


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] keep short poles up?

greatketch@...
 

NO...

Like Bill R said, and for another reason...

If you leave the short poles up you can not trim the genoa in tight enough to sail upwind well.  That last 2 or 3 inches will make a HUGE difference in your pointing ability!  Seriously, 10 degrees or more.  

When you are trying to work upwind, details matter.  This is one of the details!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA


---In amelyachtowners@..., <brouse@...> wrote :

NO.

You will likely chafe your genoa on the elbows of the short pole when close hauled.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970






On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 7:12 PM pandmdegroot@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Greetings all,

I have been the owner of SM hull 207 now "la Querida"  formerly "Liebling" for about one year now.  We've been doing weekend off shore sailing based out of Moss Landing, California. The last month we've been working on downwind sailing using the poles, so I've been leaving the short poles in place.

Well today, the jib ripped (tore) on the part of the short pole outboard of the shrouds.  We were doing a routine tack, and the sail was backwinded with some pressure against the shrouds and short pole end.  Upon releasing the sheet we heard the awful ripping sound.

Upon examining the pole end's outside surfaces none were particularly sharp, although the pin was oriented cotter pin outboard.  The ends of the cotter pin were recessed behind the pin end. For me, there were no obvious offending snag points, or sharp edges.

I'm not sure of the age of the jib (130%) but 6 months ago a local sail shop re-covered the leech and foot and said the rest of the sail was in good condition.


So my questions to the group are:

1.  Do you leave the short poles up when not doing downwind sailing?

2.  If the short poles do stay up, is there some additional protection you can recommend.


BTW.  We're loving the SM.  We've been working on upwind and downwind sailing with no autohelm, and no human inputs, just tuning the sails.  She behaves remarkably well.


Thanks in advance,  I read almost all the posts and really appreciate the knowledge,experience and helpfulness of the contributors.


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] keep short poles up?

 

NO.

You will likely chafe your genoa on the elbows of the short pole when close hauled.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970






On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 7:12 PM pandmdegroot@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Greetings all,

I have been the owner of SM hull 207 now "la Querida"  formerly "Liebling" for about one year now.  We've been doing weekend off shore sailing based out of Moss Landing, California. The last month we've been working on downwind sailing using the poles, so I've been leaving the short poles in place.

Well today, the jib ripped (tore) on the part of the short pole outboard of the shrouds.  We were doing a routine tack, and the sail was backwinded with some pressure against the shrouds and short pole end.  Upon releasing the sheet we heard the awful ripping sound.

Upon examining the pole end's outside surfaces none were particularly sharp, although the pin was oriented cotter pin outboard.  The ends of the cotter pin were recessed behind the pin end. For me, there were no obvious offending snag points, or sharp edges.

I'm not sure of the age of the jib (130%) but 6 months ago a local sail shop re-covered the leech and foot and said the rest of the sail was in good condition.


So my questions to the group are:

1.  Do you leave the short poles up when not doing downwind sailing?

2.  If the short poles do stay up, is there some additional protection you can recommend.


BTW.  We're loving the SM.  We've been working on upwind and downwind sailing with no autohelm, and no human inputs, just tuning the sails.  She behaves remarkably well.


Thanks in advance,  I read almost all the posts and really appreciate the knowledge,experience and helpfulness of the contributors.


keep short poles up?

Peter de Groot
 

Greetings all,

I have been the owner of SM hull 207 now "la Querida"  formerly "Liebling" for about one year now.  We've been doing weekend off shore sailing based out of Moss Landing, California. The last month we've been working on downwind sailing using the poles, so I've been leaving the short poles in place.

Well today, the jib ripped (tore) on the part of the short pole outboard of the shrouds.  We were doing a routine tack, and the sail was backwinded with some pressure against the shrouds and short pole end.  Upon releasing the sheet we heard the awful ripping sound.

Upon examining the pole end's outside surfaces none were particularly sharp, although the pin was oriented cotter pin outboard.  The ends of the cotter pin were recessed behind the pin end. For me, there were no obvious offending snag points, or sharp edges.

I'm not sure of the age of the jib (130%) but 6 months ago a local sail shop re-covered the leech and foot and said the rest of the sail was in good condition.


So my questions to the group are:

1.  Do you leave the short poles up when not doing downwind sailing?

2.  If the short poles do stay up, is there some additional protection you can recommend.


BTW.  We're loving the SM.  We've been working on upwind and downwind sailing with no autohelm, and no human inputs, just tuning the sails.  She behaves remarkably well.


Thanks in advance,  I read almost all the posts and really appreciate the knowledge,experience and helpfulness of the contributors.


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New file uploaded to amelyachtowners

Porter McRoberts
 

Thank you M and A!


On Jun 24, 2018, at 12:21 PM, 'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

I accidently uploaded under the Bow Thruster maintenance folder. I have reloaded a new one under the files section.
 
Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099
 


From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2018 10:03 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] New file uploaded to amelyachtowners

 

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that
a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the amelyachtowners
group.

File : /Bow Thruster maintenance A54/Amel 54 Winter cockpit cover.pdf
Uploaded by : mshirloo <mshirloo@...>
Description : Amel 54 Winter Cockpit Cover

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/files/Bow%20Thruster%20maintenance%20A54/Amel%2054%20Winter%20cockpit%20cover.pdf

To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_GRPS&locale=en_US&id=SLN15398

Regards,

mshirloo <mshirloo@...>


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] How to flush Volvo D3-110i-C

ya_fohi
 

Thanks Kent that’s useful info.


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New file uploaded to amelyachtowners

Mohammad Shirloo
 

I accidently uploaded under the Bow Thruster maintenance folder. I have reloaded a new one under the files section.
 
Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099
 



From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2018 10:03 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] New file uploaded to amelyachtowners

 

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that
a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the amelyachtowners
group.

File : /Bow Thruster maintenance A54/Amel 54 Winter cockpit cover.pdf
Uploaded by : mshirloo Description : Amel 54 Winter Cockpit Cover

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/files/Bow%20Thruster%20maintenance%20A54/Amel%2054%20Winter%20cockpit%20cover.pdf

To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_GRPS&locale=en_US&id=SLN15398

Regards,

mshirloo


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel 54 bimini and weather protection

Mohammad Shirloo
 

Hi Porter;
 
I have uploaded the assembly instructions of the 54 winter cockpit cover. Let me know if you have any problems opening the file.
 
Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099
 



From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2018 8:08 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel 54 bimini and weather protection

 

Thomas


Thanks for your thoughts. 

Do you have any pictures of the full winter enclosure?  That’s may have to be the solution. 
Really appreciated

Porter. 

54-152
Panama City

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Jun 23, 2018, at 8:12 PM, 'S/V Garulfo' svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Porter,

No direct solution to offer but I agree with your findings. The extension cut allows to get in and out of the cockpit easily but the drawback is the lack of protection against rain flowing down the side onto the backrest of the cockpit benches. We sewed some small lines about ten inches from the side and one centered to elevate three points and help create 2 channels to guide the water towards the back. Not great but better than a sudden soaking down the back of your shirt. 

We don't have issues (yet) with the zippers of the shoulders but they are detrimental to movement on the boat so we only ever put one out (sunset side) and get out of the cockpit the other side. 

The other solution is the full winter enclosure. We loved it for weather protection... in the (Mediterranean) winter. A light fleece was enough for a downwind passage to Corsica in a January mistral gale. For tropical weather, we find it a bit OTT and enclosing/greenhouse (we experienced it aboard a friend's 54 in Martinique). One would need to be able to roll up the back panels easily, at least. 


We'd be happy to see solutions to that puzzle !


Best,

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Curaçao 



On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 at 20:03, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

A question to 54 owners, critics and aficionados: After + one year of ownership and about 10000 miles I love the boat. But the weather protection options in the cockpit so far are poor. I reach out to you to understand if I am an outlier in my opinion, and secondarily if others have come up with better options or have suggestions.

We have the included bimini which is fairly good for what it does but... the extension allows lots of water in, is cut too narrow over the winches and allows a lot of weather in.. rain down the back rest and water everywhere. The setup is great on a beam reach to upwind and when the sun is shining but stops there

I’d like all around weather protection for when it’s raining day 3 and the wind is up my derrière.

I have shoulders that zip into the extension made out of sunbrella that extend out to the rails. Great for low sun but water leaks through the zippers....

I have a second set of shoulders again that zip into the extension that extend down to the side just under the winches on the out side. Zippers leak horribly.

In a few months we head across the pacific. Any tips or advice for this problem?

Thanks so much

Porter McRoberts

54-152. Ibis.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com


New file uploaded to amelyachtowners

amelyachtowners@...
 

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that
a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the amelyachtowners
group.

File : /Amel 54 Winter cockpit cover.pdf
Uploaded by : mshirloo <mshirloo@transpacific.us>
Description : Amel 54 Winter cockpit cover

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/files/Amel%2054%20Winter%20cockpit%20cover.pdf

To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_GRPS&locale=en_US&id=SLN15398

Regards,

mshirloo <mshirloo@transpacific.us>


New file uploaded to amelyachtowners

amelyachtowners@...
 

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that
a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the amelyachtowners
group.

File : /Bow Thruster maintenance A54/Amel 54 Winter cockpit cover.pdf
Uploaded by : mshirloo <mshirloo@transpacific.us>
Description : Amel 54 Winter Cockpit Cover

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/files/Bow%20Thruster%20maintenance%20A54/Amel%2054%20Winter%20cockpit%20cover.pdf

To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_GRPS&locale=en_US&id=SLN15398

Regards,

mshirloo <mshirloo@transpacific.us>


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel 54 bimini and weather protection

Sv Garulfo
 

Porter,

I'll see what I can dig out, but it's unlikely I have many... maybe other 54 owners will be able to contribute too.


Thomas

GARULFO
54-122
Curaçao 



On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 at 11:12, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Thomas


Thanks for your thoughts. 

Do you have any pictures of the full winter enclosure?  That’s may have to be the solution. 
Really appreciated

Porter. 

54-152
Panama City



Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Jun 23, 2018, at 8:12 PM, 'S/V Garulfo' svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Porter,

No direct solution to offer but I agree with your findings. The extension cut allows to get in and out of the cockpit easily but the drawback is the lack of protection against rain flowing down the side onto the backrest of the cockpit benches. We sewed some small lines about ten inches from the side and one centered to elevate three points and help create 2 channels to guide the water towards the back. Not great but better than a sudden soaking down the back of your shirt. 

We don't have issues (yet) with the zippers of the shoulders but they are detrimental to movement on the boat so we only ever put one out (sunset side) and get out of the cockpit the other side. 

The other solution is the full winter enclosure. We loved it for weather protection... in the (Mediterranean) winter. A light fleece was enough for a downwind passage to Corsica in a January mistral gale. For tropical weather, we find it a bit OTT and enclosing/greenhouse (we experienced it aboard a friend's 54 in Martinique). One would need to be able to roll up the back panels easily, at least. 


We'd be happy to see solutions to that puzzle !


Best,

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Curaçao 



On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 at 20:03, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

A question to 54 owners, critics and aficionados: After + one year of ownership and about 10000 miles I love the boat. But the weather protection options in the cockpit so far are poor. I reach out to you to understand if I am an outlier in my opinion, and secondarily if others have come up with better options or have suggestions.

We have the included bimini which is fairly good for what it does but... the extension allows lots of water in, is cut too narrow over the winches and allows a lot of weather in.. rain down the back rest and water everywhere. The setup is great on a beam reach to upwind and when the sun is shining but stops there

I’d like all around weather protection for when it’s raining day 3 and the wind is up my derrière.

I have shoulders that zip into the extension made out of sunbrella that extend out to the rails. Great for low sun but water leaks through the zippers....


I have a second set of shoulders again that zip into the extension that extend down to the side just under the winches on the out side. Zippers leak horribly.

In a few months we head across the pacific. Any tips or advice for this problem?

Thanks so much

Porter McRoberts

54-152. Ibis.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel 54 bimini and weather protection

Courtney Gorman
 

Porter there is a winter cover which totally enclosed is the cockpit and does a fine job of keeping water out


On Jun 23, 2018, at 9:12 PM, 'S/V Garulfo' svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Porter,

No direct solution to offer but I agree with your findings. The extension cut allows to get in and out of the cockpit easily but the drawback is the lack of protection against rain flowing down the side onto the backrest of the cockpit benches. We sewed some small lines about ten inches from the side and one centered to elevate three points and help create 2 channels to guide the water towards the back. Not great but better than a sudden soaking down the back of your shirt. 

We don't have issues (yet) with the zippers of the shoulders but they are detrimental to movement on the boat so we only ever put one out (sunset side) and get out of the cockpit the other side. 

The other solution is the full winter enclosure. We loved it for weather protection... in the (Mediterranean) winter. A light fleece was enough for a downwind passage to Corsica in a January mistral gale. For tropical weather, we find it a bit OTT and enclosing/greenhouse (we experienced it aboard a friend's 54 in Martinique). One would need to be able to roll up the back panels easily, at least. 


We'd be happy to see solutions to that puzzle !


Best,

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Curaçao 



On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 at 20:03, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

A question to 54 owners, critics and aficionados: After + one year of ownership and about 10000 miles I love the boat. But the weather protection options in the cockpit so far are poor. I reach out to you to understand if I am an outlier in my opinion, and secondarily if others have come up with better options or have suggestions.

We have the included bimini which is fairly good for what it does but... the extension allows lots of water in, is cut too narrow over the winches and allows a lot of weather in.. rain down the back rest and water everywhere. The setup is great on a beam reach to upwind and when the sun is shining but stops there

I’d like all around weather protection for when it’s raining day 3 and the wind is up my derrière.

I have shoulders that zip into the extension made out of sunbrella that extend out to the rails. Great for low sun but water leaks through the zippers...

I have a second set of shoulders again that zip into the extension that extend down to the side just under the winches on the out side. Zippers leak horribly.

In a few months we head across the pacific. Any tips or advice for this problem?

Thanks so much

Porter McRoberts

54-152. Ibis.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel 54 bimini and weather protection

Porter McRoberts
 

Thomas

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Do you have any pictures of the full winter enclosure?  That’s may have to be the solution. 
Really appreciated

Porter. 

54-152
Panama City

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Jun 23, 2018, at 8:12 PM, 'S/V Garulfo' svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Porter,

No direct solution to offer but I agree with your findings. The extension cut allows to get in and out of the cockpit easily but the drawback is the lack of protection against rain flowing down the side onto the backrest of the cockpit benches. We sewed some small lines about ten inches from the side and one centered to elevate three points and help create 2 channels to guide the water towards the back. Not great but better than a sudden soaking down the back of your shirt. 

We don't have issues (yet) with the zippers of the shoulders but they are detrimental to movement on the boat so we only ever put one out (sunset side) and get out of the cockpit the other side. 

The other solution is the full winter enclosure. We loved it for weather protection... in the (Mediterranean) winter. A light fleece was enough for a downwind passage to Corsica in a January mistral gale. For tropical weather, we find it a bit OTT and enclosing/greenhouse (we experienced it aboard a friend's 54 in Martinique). One would need to be able to roll up the back panels easily, at least. 


We'd be happy to see solutions to that puzzle !


Best,

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Curaçao 



On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 at 20:03, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

A question to 54 owners, critics and aficionados: After + one year of ownership and about 10000 miles I love the boat. But the weather protection options in the cockpit so far are poor. I reach out to you to understand if I am an outlier in my opinion, and secondarily if others have come up with better options or have suggestions.

We have the included bimini which is fairly good for what it does but... the extension allows lots of water in, is cut too narrow over the winches and allows a lot of weather in.. rain down the back rest and water everywhere. The setup is great on a beam reach to upwind and when the sun is shining but stops there

I’d like all around weather protection for when it’s raining day 3 and the wind is up my derrière.

I have shoulders that zip into the extension made out of sunbrella that extend out to the rails. Great for low sun but water leaks through the zippers...

I have a second set of shoulders again that zip into the extension that extend down to the side just under the winches on the out side. Zippers leak horribly.

In a few months we head across the pacific. Any tips or advice for this problem?

Thanks so much

Porter McRoberts

54-152. Ibis.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] How to flush Volvo D3-110i-C

karkauai
 

I would call and ask them.
 954-987-2722
info “at” trac-online “dot” com

My understanding is that B.B. is not damaging to your engine, but there is nothing to that effect on their website.  I leave it for 6-12 hours 1-2 times a year with no discernible adverse effects after several years.  I’m guessing it will take more than one treatment.  You should flush your other seawater systems at the same time (AC, heads if they come off the sea chest manifold, water maker...don’t allow B.B. to get to the membranes).

Kent
SM 243
Kristy


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel 54 bimini and weather protection

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Porter,

We are an SM but I think our solution would work for the 54. Like you we wanted all round and over cockpit protection with the option to get lots of air when we wanted it. We put a tube across the boat behind the mizzen and above the mizzen boom. We flattened the ends of the tube and wrapped them into a u to fit around the lower side-stays which were in perfect alignment for this.(perhaps the 54 is stayed differently) We clamped them there Amel style with a small through bolt, Then we had made a cover that zipped onto the bimini and covered the full width of the cockpit and attached to our new cross tube. We then had made roll down and zip covers to zip onto each side and a split drop and zip cover for the aft of the cockpit. No attachment is needed to either the comings or the aft deck. The side and back curtains roll down and up quickly and easily. The cover over the cockpit is easily removable if you are too tired to step out of the cockpit for your sun. I was not going to ask my wife to fry in the sun for years. We seldom remove the overhead but roll the side and back curtains up and down as needed. We never get wet...ever, and get all the air we need. Access in and out of the cockpit is not inhibited. About nine years ago I posted photos on the forum. I guess they are still there. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 24 June 2018 at 11:55 "Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

A question to 54 owners, critics and aficionados: After + one year of ownership and about 10000 miles I love the boat. But the weather protection options in the cockpit so far are poor. I reach out to you to understand if I am an outlier in my opinion, and secondarily if others have come up with better options or have suggestions.

We have the included bimini which is fairly good for what it does but... the extension allows lots of water in, is cut too narrow over the winches and allows a lot of weather in.. rain down the back rest and water everywhere. The setup is great on a beam reach to upwind and when the sun is shining but stops there

I’d like all around weather protection for when it’s raining day 3 and the wind is up my derrière.

I have shoulders that zip into the extension made out of sunbrella that extend out to the rails. Great for low sun but water leaks through the zippers..

I have a second set of shoulders again that zip into the extension that extend down to the side just under the winches on the out side. Zippers leak horribly.

In a few months we head across the pacific. Any tips or advice for this problem?

Thanks so much

Porter McRoberts

54-152. Ibis.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com