Date   
Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Unexplained Explosion On Board

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Hello Ian,
I once had a Capacitor exploding (on the dishwasher).
In my cause it was due to excessive voltage (from my Onan).
Sincerely, Alexandre



--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 9/26/18, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Unexplained Explosion On Board
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 8:59 AM


 









Whilst connected to shore power I ran the washing
machine including a

drying cycle. During the drying phase, both the shore power
and the 220V

breaker above the galley tripped. The washing machine had a
filter

warning showing.



Having reset the shore power breaker I then reset the 220V
breaker above

the galley. There was quite a loud explosion that seemed to
come from

the forward port side of the salon and the galley breaker
tripped again.

Trouble shooting has drawn a blank. All a/c units are
working as are the

two under seat freezers, though being 24V they would have
not been the

cause. Having tripped the washing machine breaker the 220V
galley

breaker stayed set, and the washing machine now works again
normally.



I cannot think of any AC equipment in that area of the salon
other than

the a/c unit, but anyway it was switched off at the breaker
at the time.

It is a worry to have not identified the cause of the
problem. I will of

course clean the washing machine filter.



Has anyone else had a similar problem or a suggestion as to
what caused

this explosion?



Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Leros Greece

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Mechanics in Leros, Greece

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

Thanks, Ian,

I look forward to reading your account as we will probably renew our coupling in due course. 
Pen Azen is ashore in Kiladha. We should be afloat but this comes to you from Paraguay, not known for its coastline !  Afloat again next April and thinking of hauling in Leros for July and August and maybe for the winter of 19-20 as well, so would be very interested to hear of your experiences there. Pen Azen is in good shape after a refit so we should not need any work done which we can't do ourselves ( famous last words...) 

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece


On 26 Sep 2018, at 09:32, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Ian & Judy,

I will write it up very shortly including a recommendation when ordering a new coupling from Amel. I am just waiting for a response from Maud before doing so.

Where are you in Greece?

Regards

Ian Crusader SM2K 414 Leros Greece


On 25/09/2018 23:09, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 

Hi Ian , 


Can you explain the issue with your Vetus coupling ? 

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 Greece 


On 25 Sep 2018, at 08:23, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hajo,

good to meet you on the dock this morning! Welcome to Leros marina. For the benefit of others who might be considering coming here, I have asked around about the Amel knowledge within the mechanics group. I am told that Panayiotis is very knowledgeable. He is primarily an electrician, but he is also capable of dealing with most things Amel, including rigging. He was previously at Agmar Marine. My mechanic is Manolis who is winning the battle against the Vetus coupling! He seems to be very competent and thorough.

With your arrival, there are now 7 Amels in the marina and another 54 at anchor outside.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader


On 25/09/2018 09:57, Amw amw08@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 
Hi to all supporters,

Thanks a lot to all of you for the valuable informations.
So I am not really at the right spot to let the planned work to be done.

Yes, Bill, I had one of the best teachers 😃 to do the Bowthruster service and I will do it by myself. Best wishes to Judy.

To Ian, maybe we 'll meet here in Leros Marina.

Best regards

Hajo 
SM 150 Serafine
Leros


Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 23.09.2018 um 18:01 schrieb Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

 
Hajo,

Hello to you and Julia!

I do not have anyone to recommend unless Malta is in your plans.

I know that you understand you will be required haul out of the water for C-Drive service. Ans, I know that you know the bow thruster service can be done while in the water.😀

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970


On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 9:44 AM Amw amw08@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hello Amelians,

we reserved a winter berth in Leros Marina and next year we have to do some work at the underwater ship ( Antifouling, Prop shaft seals replacement, Bowthruster, possible Volvo TMD 22 check, etc. )

I guess that some of you had been in Leros. So it would be great if someone can give me an advice which mechanics are experienced in Amel yachts here in Leros.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hajo
SM 150 Serafine

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Von meinem iPad gesendet




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Unexplained Explosion On Board

 

Ian,

Normally, this situation indicates a possible ground fault. It is common that water heating elements in water heaters, dishwashers and washer/dryers will develop tiny cracks and cause a ground fault when running. I would guess that the entire earth a/k/a "220VAC "ground" could have been momentarily energized when the fault happened, causing an electrical arc at the salon A/C unit whether running or not and regardless of whether the breaker was ON.

Add checking polarity to your troubleshooting checklist. Unfortunately wrong polarity is NOT unheard of in Greece.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be considered when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any mechanical and/or electrical device or system referred to above.


On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 9:05 AM Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Whilst connected to shore power I ran the washing machine including a
drying cycle. During the drying phase, both the shore power and the 220V
breaker above the galley tripped. The washing machine had a filter
warning showing.

Having reset the shore power breaker I then reset the 220V breaker above
the galley. There was quite a loud explosion that seemed to come from
the forward port side of the salon and the galley breaker tripped again.
Trouble shooting has drawn a blank. All a/c units are working as are the
two under seat freezers, though being 24V they would have not been the
cause. Having tripped the washing machine breaker the 220V galley
breaker stayed set, and the washing machine now works again normally.

I cannot think of any AC equipment in that area of the salon other than
the a/c unit, but anyway it was switched off at the breaker at the time.
It is a worry to have not identified the cause of the problem. I will of
course clean the washing machine filter.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or a suggestion as to what caused
this explosion?

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Leros Greece

Re: Unexplained Explosion On Board

greatketch@...
 

Ian,

Are the breakers on your 220V panel double pole breakers?  or single pole?

Is it possible that the shore power polarity was reversed? 

Did anyone else on the dock have a problem?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Re: Mechanics in Leros, Greece

Steven Bode - SV Intention 1994-SM#117
 

Hello, Ian!
I am on "Intention" in the Partheni Yard right next to the office and would love to meet you. I will be hauled out here for the winter doing many repairs including full Bow Thruster overhaul, C-Drive bearing replacements, installing Keel Cooler, painting masts, topsides and hull. 
Steve Bode

Unexplained Explosion On Board

Ian Shepherd
 

Whilst connected to shore power I ran the washing machine including a drying cycle. During the drying phase, both the shore power and the 220V breaker above the galley tripped. The washing machine had a filter warning showing.

Having reset the shore power breaker I then reset the 220V breaker above the galley. There was quite a loud explosion that seemed to come from the forward port side of the salon and the galley breaker tripped again. Trouble shooting has drawn a blank. All a/c units are working as are the two under seat freezers, though being 24V they would have not been the cause. Having tripped the washing machine breaker the 220V galley breaker stayed set, and the washing machine now works again normally.

I cannot think of any AC equipment in that area of the salon other than the a/c unit, but anyway it was switched off at the breaker at the time. It is a worry to have not identified the cause of the problem. I will of course clean the washing machine filter.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or a suggestion as to what caused this explosion?

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Leros Greece

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Mechanics in Leros, Greece

 

Ian,

You might want to look at the attached page from my book.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be considered when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any mechanical and/or electrical device or system referred to above.


On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 8:35 AM Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Ian & Judy,

I will write it up very shortly including a recommendation when ordering a new coupling from Amel. I am just waiting for a response from Maud before doing so.

Where are you in Greece?

Regards

Ian Crusader SM2K 414 Leros Greece


On 25/09/2018 23:09, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 

Hi Ian , 


Can you explain the issue with your Vetus coupling ? 

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 Greece 


On 25 Sep 2018, at 08:23, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hajo,

good to meet you on the dock this morning! Welcome to Leros marina. For the benefit of others who might be considering coming here, I have asked around about the Amel knowledge within the mechanics group. I am told that Panayiotis is very knowledgeable. He is primarily an electrician, but he is also capable of dealing with most things Amel, including rigging. He was previously at Agmar Marine. My mechanic is Manolis who is winning the battle against the Vetus coupling! He seems to be very competent and thorough.

With your arrival, there are now 7 Amels in the marina and another 54 at anchor outside.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader


On 25/09/2018 09:57, Amw amw08@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 
Hi to all supporters,

Thanks a lot to all of you for the valuable informations.
So I am not really at the right spot to let the planned work to be done.

Yes, Bill, I had one of the best teachers 😃 to do the Bowthruster service and I will do it by myself. Best wishes to Judy.

To Ian, maybe we 'll meet here in Leros Marina.

Best regards

Hajo 
SM 150 Serafine
Leros


Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 23.09.2018 um 18:01 schrieb Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

 
Hajo,

Hello to you and Julia!

I do not have anyone to recommend unless Malta is in your plans.

I know that you understand you will be required haul out of the water for C-Drive service. Ans, I know that you know the bow thruster service can be done while in the water.😀

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970


On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 9:44 AM Amw amw08@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hello Amelians,

we reserved a winter berth in Leros Marina and next year we have to do some work at the underwater ship ( Antifouling, Prop shaft seals replacement, Bowthruster, possible Volvo TMD 22 check, etc. )

I guess that some of you had been in Leros. So it would be great if someone can give me an advice which mechanics are experienced in Amel yachts here in Leros.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hajo
SM 150 Serafine

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Von meinem iPad gesendet




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Mechanics in Leros, Greece

Ian Shepherd
 

Hi Ian & Judy,

I will write it up very shortly including a recommendation when ordering a new coupling from Amel. I am just waiting for a response from Maud before doing so.

Where are you in Greece?

Regards

Ian Crusader SM2K 414 Leros Greece


On 25/09/2018 23:09, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 

Hi Ian , 


Can you explain the issue with your Vetus coupling ? 

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 Greece 


On 25 Sep 2018, at 08:23, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hajo,

good to meet you on the dock this morning! Welcome to Leros marina. For the benefit of others who might be considering coming here, I have asked around about the Amel knowledge within the mechanics group. I am told that Panayiotis is very knowledgeable. He is primarily an electrician, but he is also capable of dealing with most things Amel, including rigging. He was previously at Agmar Marine. My mechanic is Manolis who is winning the battle against the Vetus coupling! He seems to be very competent and thorough.

With your arrival, there are now 7 Amels in the marina and another 54 at anchor outside.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader


On 25/09/2018 09:57, Amw amw08@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 
Hi to all supporters,

Thanks a lot to all of you for the valuable informations.
So I am not really at the right spot to let the planned work to be done.

Yes, Bill, I had one of the best teachers 😃 to do the Bowthruster service and I will do it by myself. Best wishes to Judy.

To Ian, maybe we 'll meet here in Leros Marina.

Best regards

Hajo 
SM 150 Serafine
Leros


Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 23.09.2018 um 18:01 schrieb Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

 
Hajo,

Hello to you and Julia!

I do not have anyone to recommend unless Malta is in your plans.

I know that you understand you will be required haul out of the water for C-Drive service. Ans, I know that you know the bow thruster service can be done while in the water.😀

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970


On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 9:44 AM Amw amw08@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hello Amelians,

we reserved a winter berth in Leros Marina and next year we have to do some work at the underwater ship ( Antifouling, Prop shaft seals replacement, Bowthruster, possible Volvo TMD 22 check, etc. )

I guess that some of you had been in Leros. So it would be great if someone can give me an advice which mechanics are experienced in Amel yachts here in Leros.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hajo
SM 150 Serafine

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Von meinem iPad gesendet




Rendezvous Anchorage

Patrick McAneny
 

It should be obvious ,but for those anchoring in St. Michaels for the first time. The boats will anchor one deep following the shoreline in order to stay out of the channel ,especially closer to town. Further out boats could anchor two deep in a staggered formation. Please leave enough room next to me (Shenanigans ,green sunbrella) for Mike & Tom on Aletes to anchor ,as we are going to raft up on Tue. for the pot luck lunch.


As for Annapolis, you used to be able to anchor anywhere,but for many years now, they require a large channel be left ,big enough for a battle ship to drive through. This leaves a small area along the Academy wall , the channel and then the larger anchorage further out. It is pretty deep 20 to 50 ft. and not particularly well protected ,except ok from the S, Sw ,W. ,hopefully it will be calm. You will want to motor about and look for shallow areas , the depths vary considerably . There is a calm anchorage in Back Creek ,but its very tight,  gets crowded and taken quickly.

Thanks,

Pat & Diane

SM Shenanigans

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu: Cabin light fuse location?!

 

Miles,

It is always a problem to follow a previous owner who either did not document changes and/or did not label wires. I am sure that you will act differently. The best way to label a wire is with a white sleeve over the wire, but that is not always possible. I found some wire-ties with a label tag that helped me.

There are all sorts of styles of these attachable labels. Here is a link to one of them: https://www.amazon.com/Amgate-Write-Ethernet-Marking-100pcs/dp/B0153CAU2M

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be considered when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any mechanical and/or electrical device or system referred to above.


On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 6:56 AM smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Just to say that I’ve now managed to trace the problem. 

Luckily one of the cabin lights had new cable with  unusual colours so I managed to follow that to locate the fuse 
Sadly these lights are sharing with other equipment so it’s another job on the to-do list which only even seems to grow !

All the best

Miles 


On 26 Sep 2018, at 10:47, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hello there

I’m on day 2 of a low value treasure hunt.

I’m hunting for a fuse for my cabin lights

I did something stupid trying to fix the fridge light which must be wired into the same circuit so the cabin lights are now out.
Lights in the forepeak, both heads and aft cabin are fine fortunately.

I suspect that all the older Maramus have been adapted over the years and have fuses in different places but in case there is some hidden nook I’ve not yet discovered . . . .

I’ve tested all fuses in and around the circuit board area and behind the chart table, hunted in the engine bay, looked under the mast step and poked about all manner of dark corners but still lights are out

The lights must be wired direct to the battery as there is sadly no main switch to follow from.

Any thoughts about hidden areas I should explore would be very welcome !

All the best

Miles


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu: Cabin light fuse location?!

smiles bernard
 

Just to say that I’ve now managed to trace the problem. 
Luckily one of the cabin lights had new cable with  unusual colours so I managed to follow that to locate the fuse 
Sadly these lights are sharing with other equipment so it’s another job on the to-do list which only even seems to grow !

All the best

Miles 


On 26 Sep 2018, at 10:47, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hello there

I’m on day 2 of a low value treasure hunt.

I’m hunting for a fuse for my cabin lights

I did something stupid trying to fix the fridge light which must be wired into the same circuit so the cabin lights are now out.
Lights in the forepeak, both heads and aft cabin are fine fortunately.

I suspect that all the older Maramus have been adapted over the years and have fuses in different places but in case there is some hidden nook I’ve not yet discovered . . . .

I’ve tested all fuses in and around the circuit board area and behind the chart table, hunted in the engine bay, looked under the mast step and poked about all manner of dark corners but still lights are out

The lights must be wired direct to the battery as there is sadly no main switch to follow from.

Any thoughts about hidden areas I should explore would be very welcome !

All the best

Miles


Weather for the Rendezvous

Patrick McAneny
 

Its done nothing but rain here on the Eastern Shore since spring , about 20" above normal for the year. So I have been concerned about the weather for our meet. I just saw the seven day, and starting on Sat thru at least Wed. it looks sunny and mid 70s . With a high nearby, winds will probably be light ,which will be good as well for the anchorage. So ,lets hope for once ,that the forecast is correct.

Cya There,

Pat & Diane,

SM Shenanigans

Maramu: Cabin light fuse location?!

smiles bernard
 

Hello there

I’m on day 2 of a low value treasure hunt.

I’m hunting for a fuse for my cabin lights

I did something stupid trying to fix the fridge light which must be wired into the same circuit so the cabin lights are now out.
Lights in the forepeak, both heads and aft cabin are fine fortunately.

I suspect that all the older Maramus have been adapted over the years and have fuses in different places but in case there is some hidden nook I’ve not yet discovered . . . .

I’ve tested all fuses in and around the circuit board area and behind the chart table, hunted in the engine bay, looked under the mast step and poked about all manner of dark corners but still lights are out

The lights must be wired direct to the battery as there is sadly no main switch to follow from.

Any thoughts about hidden areas I should explore would be very welcome !

All the best

Miles

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Goit Deck Hatch Lens Reseal

eric freedman
 

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Interior wood quality

james Hosford
 

Thanks Bill,  i agree i dont care for the light wood option in the new 55s,  but thats ok those are way out of my budget any way.  Was mostly interested in the difference between the sm and the 54 do prefer the dark wood and the more white fabrics of the 54 but wasn't sure if the 54 was as tried and true as the sm.   Some things quality goes down as you get newer    


On Sep 21, 2018, at 8:25 AM, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

I once was with the largest group of furniture manufacturers in the US. We owned companies like Drexel Heritage and Henredon. I would place Amel's interior construction and finish with some of the best.

I saw an Amel light-finish interior. I didn't like the appearance because it was plain and plastic-looking. The species of wood and veneer Amel used with this "light finish" had very little character. It almost looked artificial, similar to a manufactured laminate. There are people who prefer this stark neutral look and that market is growing. Possibly this is what was referred to earlier. 

There is no way to get the beauty and character of the Amel interior without using veneers. Also, it is evident that someone at Amel has excellent skills  in the initial selection and layout of veneer  

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018, 23:13 Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi. Be encouraged Paul. Plywood is much stronger than solid timber because of the grains in each ply lying differently. And good Maine ply uses very good glues to hold it together

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean pearl

On 21 September 2018 at 15:40 "Paul Stascavage pstas2003@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Thanks Kent and thank you to you as well Alan. I don't know why, but for some reason I thought everything was solid Mahogany.

Looking more closely at the hand holds it is evident that the bulk heads are not.

I learn so much being a part of this forum, but this is one piece of information I almost wish I missed.

All the best,

Paul
SM #466
S/V Rita Kathryn
Cruising New England



 


 

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Interior wood quality

greatketch@...
 

James,

Thanks--exactly what I was looking for.  I have had a lot of practice with a cabinet scraper which will transfer well.

We see very much what you describe with the fading of the wood around the port lights.  We'd like to keep everything covered more, but we live on the boat full time so that is not always possible.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] run away windlass

greatketch@...
 

Kent,

There is a write up of the wiring work I did on the windlass here:  https://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/windlass-wiring/  I haven't written up the changes I made to the sheet winch wiring yet, but it is on my to-do list :-)

The previous owner of Harmonie protected the bow thruster wiring by putting 125 amp terminal fuses on each of the four 24V battery positive terminals.  When I upgraded the battery bank, the new batteries were just a tiny bit higher, and the terminal fuses no longer fit under the cover. 

I replaced them with a single 500 amp fuse in the main battery wire before the shut down switches.  That would blow before the cables to the windlass or the engine room melted down from a short somewhere.

There is no power supply switch on the thruster, other than the main power switch.  Not a perfect solution, but I'll live with it.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA


 


---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

Hi Bill,
That’s probably a good idea, do you have pics of the installations and the parts/sources you used?

I know there’s been discussion in the past about adding a fuse/breaker/interrupt switch for the bow thruster.  Did you do that while you were at it?  If not, what was your thought process about it?

Thanks
Kent

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Sep 23, 2018, at 7:03 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

We added breakers to interrupt the power to the motors for the windlass, and jib furler and, more recently, an emergency stop system for the sheet winches for this reason.


The previous owners of Harmonie had the same problem happen with a jib sheet winch--relay contacts welded themselves shut and no way to stop it without cutting the power to the whole boat.  (On older SM's--like ours--the control box for the port side winch is way up high, inside the cockpit locker.)

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Mechanics in Leros, Greece

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

Hi Ian , 

Can you explain the issue with your Vetus coupling ? 

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 Greece 


On 25 Sep 2018, at 08:23, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hajo,

good to meet you on the dock this morning! Welcome to Leros marina. For the benefit of others who might be considering coming here, I have asked around about the Amel knowledge within the mechanics group. I am told that Panayiotis is very knowledgeable. He is primarily an electrician, but he is also capable of dealing with most things Amel, including rigging. He was previously at Agmar Marine. My mechanic is Manolis who is winning the battle against the Vetus coupling! He seems to be very competent and thorough.

With your arrival, there are now 7 Amels in the marina and another 54 at anchor outside.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader


On 25/09/2018 09:57, Amw amw08@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 
Hi to all supporters,

Thanks a lot to all of you for the valuable informations.
So I am not really at the right spot to let the planned work to be done.

Yes, Bill, I had one of the best teachers 😃 to do the Bowthruster service and I will do it by myself. Best wishes to Judy.

To Ian, maybe we 'll meet here in Leros Marina.

Best regards

Hajo 
SM 150 Serafine
Leros


Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 23.09.2018 um 18:01 schrieb Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

 
Hajo,

Hello to you and Julia!

I do not have anyone to recommend unless Malta is in your plans.

I know that you understand you will be required haul out of the water for C-Drive service. Ans, I know that you know the bow thruster service can be done while in the water.😀

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970


On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 9:44 AM Amw amw08@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hello Amelians,

we reserved a winter berth in Leros Marina and next year we have to do some work at the underwater ship ( Antifouling, Prop shaft seals replacement, Bowthruster, possible Volvo TMD 22 check, etc. )

I guess that some of you had been in Leros. So it would be great if someone can give me an advice which mechanics are experienced in Amel yachts here in Leros.

Thank you very much in advance.

Hajo
SM 150 Serafine

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Von meinem iPad gesendet



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Winter location Greek Ionian

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

Hi Mohammad and Aty,

Cleopatra marina in Preveza— we spent two winters ashore there . Excellent

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 , Greece

On 25 Sep 2018, at 11:24, 'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi everyone;

We are looking at leaving our boat in the Greek Ionian for this winter. We would appreciate all input about possible locations. We will not be wintering on board, so we are mainly looking for a safe, secure and reasonable location. It would be nice to have some services available but it is not critical.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully;


Mohammad and Aty
AMEL 54 #099
B&B Kokomo

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Mohammad Shirloo" <mshirloo@...>
------------------------------------


------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Winter location Greek Ionian

Marek Cho
 

Hi, 
I keep my boat in KALAMATA.
Maybe it is not quite Ionian but very close to.
It is  very quiet place, some work place avaliable in marina.
KTel bus service avalible almost every hour to Athens. 2,5hour.
http://www.medmarinas.com/homepage.asp?ITMID=2
Brgds
Marek

Od: "'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners]"
Do: amelyachtowners@...;
Wysłane: 17:24 Wtorek 2018-09-25
Temat: [Amel Yacht Owners] Winter location Greek Ionian



 

Hi everyone;

We are looking at leaving our boat in the Greek Ionian for this winter. We would appreciate all input about possible locations. We will not be wintering on board, so we are mainly looking for a safe, secure and reasonable location. It would be nice to have some services available but it is not critical.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty
AMEL 54 #099
B&B Kokomo