Date   

Re: Capacitors for Climma A/C

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown
 

Alex,

 

I have bought various capacitors and they all work, as long as the capacitance and voltage are correct.

 

Cheers,

Paul

 

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alex Ramseyer
Sent: 25 April 2019 01:22
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Capacitors for Climma A/C

 

Dear Amelians,
I'm trying to source 2mf and 4 mf Capacitors for the onboard Climma A/C unit. I'm currently in Fort Lauderdale.
The technician from a local Climma representative told me it needs to be the original Italfarad- but has no stock.

What's the experience in this group. Does it really have to be Italfarad or will any other (available) capacitor with the correct specs work too?

Best regards,
Alex Ramseyer
SY NO STRESS
AMEL54 #15
--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.


--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98


Re: Wind Generators

Teun BAAS
 

I have the Superwind on my solar arch very close to the aft Master cabin. No vibration nor noise at all. Very happy and it generates around 5Amps/hour here in the South Pacific.

 

Combined with 875 solar I am energy positive while sailing.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

 

Plage de PEDE  MARE  NEW CALEDONIA

May 5, 2019 21:34:31

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, May 3, 2019 16:51
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Wind Generators

 

My Superwind does not create any noises or vibrations.  It is attached to the mizzen mast via a decoupling device that does not transmit vibrations.   It is expensive, though.  

 

Joerg Esdorn

A55 #53

Kincsem

 


Re: Wind Generators

Nicolas Klene
 

Hi Colin 
I would love to see the picture of your solar arrangement too if possible !
more than 1Kwatt of solar power , has to be seen :-))
safe passage 
nick


Re: VP TMD 22P

John Clark
 

Right any Auto parts store can cross reference the numbers and sell you the local equivalent.  I got filters in Martinique based on the US part number of the old filter. 


On Fri, May 3, 2019, 1:03 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:
Our boat has the TMD22P.  I've been using Fram PH8A oil filters, which are a generic brand of the same size.  I can find them in most auto parts stores for less than $10.  The fuel filter is slightly harder to come by; I had to order online.  I have both Fram P8043 and Sierra 18-7942 which are equivalent.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 11:12 AM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:
 Hi Philipp,

 You might try a Volvo garage---often the marine and road filters are the same, but the road ones can be much cheaper. Volvo know how much more precious a boat is to its owner than a truck....


 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of felicie@... <felicie@...>
Sent: 03 May 2019 14:57
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] VP TMD 22P
 
Hi

I have also a Perkins M80T which is equivalent to the TMD22 A. For me it is not clear if I can order filter for oil and fuel from Perkins or from Volvo. Perkins is much cheaper. Till now I didn't have any problems. I have ordered always from the big online broker parts4engine from UK. If I need to order for Volvo, then I have to order from the broker from the Netherlands which is at the moment much more expensive.
Does anybody know which is best for what?

Thanks to all for any answer or suggestions which are highly apreciated.

Philipp
Félicie, Switzerland, SM #124


Re: Wind Generators

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl
 

Hi Alan

We have 540w on the rear arch and 500w on top of cockpit area.

For the cockpit top I inherited and nicely welded/shaped aluminium bar from SM SV Oris which attaches to the two fwd mizzen stays. At the rear I have alumni bars from mizzen mast to rear mizzen stays.

Will send you a pic direct.

Great to have the serenity and peace of mind at anchorages when one sees other SM genders gurgling away seemingly endlessly.

On Sat, 4 May 2019, 03:56 Alan Leslie, <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Hi Colin,

What is your physical arrangement for mounting all these solar panels?
We have 600w on the arch and found we can mostly get away with running the Onan every second day, but we are certainly more frugal with electricity
Cheers
Alan


Re: Wind Generators

ofer magen
 

Hi, 
Thanks for sharing. 
How and where did you install the extra solar panels? 

SY ALBA 
Amel 54 160
Ofer Magen


Re: Wind Generators

Alan Leslie
 

Hi Colin,

What is your physical arrangement for mounting all these solar panels?
We have 600w on the arch and found we can mostly get away with running the Onan every second day, but we are certainly more frugal with electricity
Cheers
Alan


Dimentions of the bottom of the keel Amel 54

ofer magen
 

Hi to all. 
I need the Dimentions of the bottom of the keel Amel 54.
I want to haul my boat out in a shipyard in Limassol  Cyprus  and need to know if the keel can come between the wheels of the trailer. (100 cm) 
Thanks for your help . 
Ofer 
Amel 54. 160.


Re: Wind Generators

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl
 

Hi Gary

After 2 years cruising with the two Rutland 1200's we are still delighted with them. Had dual Airx and Airbreeze wind gens on our last boat and these are better in every way.

Your wind gens however will only ever be incremental amps with solar being the key driver, but without two of them you will absolutely never stop the need for daily generator use.

How much solar? We started off with 540w and had to run the genset morning and night. (note we have two freezers running all the time for 8 months out in the remote Indian Ocean & now again as we are stocked up for 7 months crossing the Pacific).

540w was clearly insufficient so in Malaysia we added another 280w taking us to 820w total run through two independent solar controllers for redundancy.

Whilst better, we still found yourself using the genset approx1 hr morning and night. (I had crew in the Indian Ocean & Atlantic oceans so we had 5 computer's, numerous ipads, cameras etc..Also I should point out we use a electric kettle jug and induction stove exclusively with  very little gas use except when oven baking food. 

Unlike now when it is just Lauren and I in the Caribbean and crossing the Pacific, with crew we found our fast boiling electric kettle was used at lib very inefficiently ie. each crew boiling it every time they wanted a hot drink. This wasted a lot of power and I was equally surprised at how much power each PC drained from the batteries.

Wind forward to the Caribbean and I added another 200W again through another independent controller taking our solar to 1.04kw and BINGO!!!

Now with just two of us on board, we are able to run the boat energy needs totally off solar and wind alone. What a pleasure!!!  ...not only in saving genset wear and tear and noise, but also for the extended fuel range we now have as the genset, although frugal in diesel use, actually chews up a large portion of your fuel reserves reducing substantially your motoring range if you ever needed it. For example we set off next week on a direct Panama to Marquesas sail of 4000nm without stopping at Galapagos in windless doldrum conditions, so for us, not wasting fuel through the genset can sometimes be a huge bonus providing peace of mind.

Only sometimes when night sailing down wind in the trades do I find it necessary to run the genset for an hour or less. In the Caribbean however, we found the two Rutland powered our night sailing needs fine as we were generally on a beam reach, with the wind gens pumping in significantly more power than the autopilot, lights and freezers needed.

Thought I'd share this as others may also be wondering about how much solar is enough in the quest to run a typical Amel power needs totally on nature to leave a lighter environmental footprint.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Shelter Bay Marina. Panama
SV Island Pearl II, SM#332 
(soon for sale when we complete our circumnavigation in either New Zealand or Brisbane)







On Thu, 2 May 2019, 08:53 Gary Wells, <gary@...> wrote:
Just replaced an ancient Air-x with a Rutland 1200.  
The new level of sound from the Rutland is such a nice change from the Air-x.  I won't ever complain about the "noise" when I can remember the db level of the old one. 
Can't wait till we add some solar later this year ;)

Gary W.
SM298, Adagio
St.Thomas, USVI


Re: VP TMD 22P

Ryan Meador
 

Our boat has the TMD22P.  I've been using Fram PH8A oil filters, which are a generic brand of the same size.  I can find them in most auto parts stores for less than $10.  The fuel filter is slightly harder to come by; I had to order online.  I have both Fram P8043 and Sierra 18-7942 which are equivalent.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 11:12 AM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:
 Hi Philipp,

 You might try a Volvo garage---often the marine and road filters are the same, but the road ones can be much cheaper. Volvo know how much more precious a boat is to its owner than a truck....


 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of felicie@... <felicie@...>
Sent: 03 May 2019 14:57
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] VP TMD 22P
 
Hi

I have also a Perkins M80T which is equivalent to the TMD22 A. For me it is not clear if I can order filter for oil and fuel from Perkins or from Volvo. Perkins is much cheaper. Till now I didn't have any problems. I have ordered always from the big online broker parts4engine from UK. If I need to order for Volvo, then I have to order from the broker from the Netherlands which is at the moment much more expensive.
Does anybody know which is best for what?

Thanks to all for any answer or suggestions which are highly apreciated.

Philipp
Félicie, Switzerland, SM #124


Re: VP TMD 22P

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

 Hi Philipp,

 You might try a Volvo garage---often the marine and road filters are the same, but the road ones can be much cheaper. Volvo know how much more precious a boat is to its owner than a truck....


 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of felicie@... <felicie@...>
Sent: 03 May 2019 14:57
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] VP TMD 22P
 
Hi

I have also a Perkins M80T which is equivalent to the TMD22 A. For me it is not clear if I can order filter for oil and fuel from Perkins or from Volvo. Perkins is much cheaper. Till now I didn't have any problems. I have ordered always from the big online broker parts4engine from UK. If I need to order for Volvo, then I have to order from the broker from the Netherlands which is at the moment much more expensive.
Does anybody know which is best for what?

Thanks to all for any answer or suggestions which are highly apreciated.

Philipp
Félicie, Switzerland, SM #124


Re: VP TMD 22P

Philipp Sollberger
 

Hi

I have also a Perkins M80T which is equivalent to the TMD22 A. For me it is not clear if I can order filter for oil and fuel from Perkins or from Volvo. Perkins is much cheaper. Till now I didn't have any problems. I have ordered always from the big online broker parts4engine from UK. If I need to order for Volvo, then I have to order from the broker from the Netherlands which is at the moment much more expensive.
Does anybody know which is best for what?

Thanks to all for any answer or suggestions which are highly apreciated.

Philipp
Félicie, Switzerland, SM #124


Re: Toe rail pulley and outhaul-furling mounting doughnut

Mike Ondra
 

Here’s what I got from Maud.

Dear Mike, 

 

Sorry for my late confirmation. I was on vacation last week. Please find here attached 2 photos of the needed black support for your LEROY SOMER gearbox.

 

The price is 48.56 euros/ each without taxes and without transport. 

 

Let me know the needed quantity and delivery address + phone and I will arrange shipment as soon as possible. 

 

With my kindest regards, 

 

Maud TOUILLET

Service clientèle/Customer service



On May 2, 2019, at 10:57 PM, Steven Bode <steve@...> wrote:

Hey, Mike,
What a coincidence. Just today I became aware of my need to replace these Plastic doughnuts. Like yours, mine are fully stress-cracked Anybody know what they are officially called?
Steve Bode, Captain of Sailing Vessel Intention
Currently Drydocked at ANT Yat Servis
Bodrum, Mulga, Turkiye
Amel Super Maramu #117 (1994) 
+1 415-710-6659 voice/text/whatsapp


Re: Wind Generators

Joerg Esdorn
 

My Superwind does not create any noises or vibrations.  It is attached to the mizzen mast via a decoupling device that does not transmit vibrations.   It is expensive, though.  

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53
Kincsem


Re: Toe rail pulley and outhaul-furling mounting doughnut

Steven Bode - SV Intention 1994-SM#117
 

Hey, Mike,
What a coincidence. Just today I became aware of my need to replace these Plastic doughnuts. Like yours, mine are fully stress-cracked. Anybody know what they are officially called?
Steve Bode, Captain of Sailing Vessel Intention
Currently Drydocked at ANT Yat Servis
Bodrum, Mulga, Turkiye
Amel Super Maramu #117 (1994) 
+1 415-710-6659 voice/text/whatsapp


Re: AMEL 54 main furler

Teun BAAS
 

Hi Danny,

 

Nice – safe winds.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

 

Leaving NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA today

May 3, 2019 06:52:36

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 17:21
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Hi Teun, we are heading for the Pacific in July. Planning to head for Bundaberg at the end of the season. Then harbour hopping down the coast to Sydney and south, finishing the Australian explore in Tasmania, then across the tasman home to nz

Regards

Danny

Sm 299 ocean pearl 

On 02 May 2019 at 16:52 Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,

 

Thanks for your Email.

Looking forward to cruising VANUATU for 4 or 6 months (until cyclone season kicks in) and then maybe towards to SOLOMON ISLANDS, PNG and then INDONESIA etc. or maybe first to AUSTRALIA.

 

Maybe we meet in one these areas?

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54 #128

 

May 2, 2019 15:52:38

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 15:13
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Hi Teun,

I am sure you will enjoy Vanuatu. Tana volcano is amazing, you can stand above the crater and watch it blow. Wow. Then as you go North you will find many places of great interest.

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 02 May 2019 at 14:23 Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Bill,

 

Final outcome:

 

A loose spade connection under AMEL dash board near the switch. Everything else is fine.

I guess the rocking & rolling yday caused this but I believe this connection was handled by Willie last year when they put in the new dash board.

 

Anyhow – all good to go for leaving tomorrow morning to VAUATU.

 

Also thanks for the feedback from Arno and Ian.

 

Best Regards Teun

AMELIT  A54  #128

 

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA 

May 2, 2019 13:22:34

 

 

From: Teun BAAS
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 09:18
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: RE: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Hi Bill,

 

Willie on board. Switch is good.

 

I didn’t know that next to the white Velcro panel where there are 2 heat breakers when you open the closet door there is at the top a wooden panel which is held by 1 screw. When removing it gives access to 1 main furler (brake) relay and 2 solenoids. See pic.

 

Willie is testing now.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54 #128

 

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

May 2, 2019 09:16:24

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teun BAAS via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 06:49
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Bill,

 

I knew of these 2 boxes but was not aware they were the solenoids; I thought they were resistance breakers.

 

I will have it checked by Willie this morning. From everything it sounds the bushes might be likely the issue as it furls in no problem; when the motor released from the furler we can hand crank easily.

 

Will let you know the outcome today.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

 

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA.

May 2, 2019 06:48:30

 

 

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 22:10
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Teun,

 

Furling solenoid is behind the Velcro'd panel just inside the forward watertight door near the ceiling, or behind the Velcro'd panel in the forward port side berth.  I don't think this is the problem, but Willie should check it and the helm mounted toggle switch. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

 

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 10:17 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

 

Correct – furling motor/gearbox.

 

Did loosen as you described below; can furl & unfurl manually - no sail jam.

 

Did NOT rap the gearbox; it is night now; will do tomorrow.

Willie is coming on board 2nd thing tomorrow morning; was holiday here today.

 

Brushes motor – didn’t think about those. l did study your AMEL bible but missed that.

 

Where is the solenoid – I tried to find in the manual as well as your “A B”. As this is similar problem I had 2 weeks ago with the windlass (not down but luckily did go up) which was the solenoid I have been trying to locate.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54 2009

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

May 1, 2019 20:15:11

 

 

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 19:32
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

First check the simple things:

 

I assume you are having an issue with the furling motor/gearbox and not the outhaul motor/gearbox.

 

Loosen the 4 bolts on the furling motor/gearbox, lower the unit enough to disengage the main foil fr the motor/gearbox, then test the manual furler with a winch handle. If it works, you've eliminated a sail jam. Next try the furler motor while disconnected. Take a rubber mallet a rap the gearbox sharply. If either of these work, call Willie and tell him you probably need new brushes in the motor. You may have spares... check my Amel Book for changing brushes. 

 

It is possible that the large solenoid has failed, but I have yet to actually see this happen. 

 

Get back to me. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

 

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 5:51 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Was on my way to TANNA VANUATU and can NOT unfurl the main sail. It will furl but NOT unfurl.
The switch in the cockpit is good.   Any suggestions?

Have returned to NOUMEA as I need to have this working before crossing to VANUATU

Thanks.

Teun BAAS

AMELIT  A54  2009
NOUMEA, NEW CALEDONIA 

 

 


 


 

 

 


 


 


Re: Wind Generators

Gary Wells
 

Just replaced an ancient Air-x with a Rutland 1200.  
The new level of sound from the Rutland is such a nice change from the Air-x.  I won't ever complain about the "noise" when I can remember the db level of the old one. 
Can't wait till we add some solar later this year ;)

Gary W.
SM298, Adagio
St.Thomas, USVI


Re: AMEL 54 main furler

 

OK, this is what I was talking about. This is where the furling motor wire connects. The solenoid allows for reverse polarity, as well. Reversing the polarity causes the reversing of motor rotation.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970



On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 11:18 PM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

 

Willie on board. Switch is good.

 

I didn’t know that next to the white Velcro panel where there are 2 heat breakers when you open the closet door there is at the top a wooden panel which is held by 1 screw. When removing it gives access to 1 main furler (brake) relay and 2 solenoids. See pic.

 

Willie is testing now.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54 #128

 

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

May 2, 2019 09:16:24

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teun BAAS via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 06:49
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Bill,

 

I knew of these 2 boxes but was not aware they were the solenoids; I thought they were resistance breakers.

 

I will have it checked by Willie this morning. From everything it sounds the bushes might be likely the issue as it furls in no problem; when the motor released from the furler we can hand crank easily.

 

Will let you know the outcome today.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

 

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA.

May 2, 2019 06:48:30

 

 

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 22:10
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Teun,

 

Furling solenoid is behind the Velcro'd panel just inside the forward watertight door near the ceiling, or behind the Velcro'd panel in the forward port side berth.  I don't think this is the problem, but Willie should check it and the helm mounted toggle switch. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

 

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 10:17 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

 

Correct – furling motor/gearbox.

 

Did loosen as you described below; can furl & unfurl manually - no sail jam.

 

Did NOT rap the gearbox; it is night now; will do tomorrow.

Willie is coming on board 2nd thing tomorrow morning; was holiday here today.

 

Brushes motor – didn’t think about those. l did study your AMEL bible but missed that.

 

Where is the solenoid – I tried to find in the manual as well as your “A B”. As this is similar problem I had 2 weeks ago with the windlass (not down but luckily did go up) which was the solenoid I have been trying to locate.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54 2009

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

May 1, 2019 20:15:11

 

 

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 19:32
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

First check the simple things:

 

I assume you are having an issue with the furling motor/gearbox and not the outhaul motor/gearbox.

 

Loosen the 4 bolts on the furling motor/gearbox, lower the unit enough to disengage the main foil fr the motor/gearbox, then test the manual furler with a winch handle. If it works, you've eliminated a sail jam. Next try the furler motor while disconnected. Take a rubber mallet a rap the gearbox sharply. If either of these work, call Willie and tell him you probably need new brushes in the motor. You may have spares... check my Amel Book for changing brushes. 

 

It is possible that the large solenoid has failed, but I have yet to actually see this happen. 

 

Get back to me. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

 

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 5:51 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Was on my way to TANNA VANUATU and can NOT unfurl the main sail. It will furl but NOT unfurl.
The switch in the cockpit is good.   Any suggestions?

Have returned to NOUMEA as I need to have this working before crossing to VANUATU

Thanks.

Teun BAAS

AMELIT  A54  2009
NOUMEA, NEW CALEDONIA 


Re: AMEL 54 main furler

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Teun, we are heading for the Pacific in July. Planning to head for Bundaberg at the end of the season. Then harbour hopping down the coast to Sydney and south, finishing the Australian explore in Tasmania, then across the tasman home to nz

Regards

Danny

Sm 299 ocean pearl 

On 02 May 2019 at 16:52 Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,

 

Thanks for your Email.

Looking forward to cruising VANUATU for 4 or 6 months (until cyclone season kicks in) and then maybe towards to SOLOMON ISLANDS, PNG and then INDONESIA etc. or maybe first to AUSTRALIA.

 

Maybe we meet in one these areas?

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54 #128

 

May 2, 2019 15:52:38

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 15:13
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Hi Teun,

I am sure you will enjoy Vanuatu. Tana volcano is amazing, you can stand above the crater and watch it blow. Wow. Then as you go North you will find many places of great interest.

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 02 May 2019 at 14:23 Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Bill,

 

Final outcome:

 

A loose spade connection under AMEL dash board near the switch. Everything else is fine.

I guess the rocking & rolling yday caused this but I believe this connection was handled by Willie last year when they put in the new dash board.

 

Anyhow – all good to go for leaving tomorrow morning to VAUATU.

 

Also thanks for the feedback from Arno and Ian.

 

Best Regards Teun

AMELIT  A54  #128

 

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA 

May 2, 2019 13:22:34

 

 

From: Teun BAAS
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 09:18
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: RE: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Hi Bill,

 

Willie on board. Switch is good.

 

I didn’t know that next to the white Velcro panel where there are 2 heat breakers when you open the closet door there is at the top a wooden panel which is held by 1 screw. When removing it gives access to 1 main furler (brake) relay and 2 solenoids. See pic.

 

Willie is testing now.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54 #128

 

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

May 2, 2019 09:16:24

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teun BAAS via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 06:49
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Bill,

 

I knew of these 2 boxes but was not aware they were the solenoids; I thought they were resistance breakers.

 

I will have it checked by Willie this morning. From everything it sounds the bushes might be likely the issue as it furls in no problem; when the motor released from the furler we can hand crank easily.

 

Will let you know the outcome today.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

 

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA.

May 2, 2019 06:48:30

 

 

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 22:10
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Teun,

 

Furling solenoid is behind the Velcro'd panel just inside the forward watertight door near the ceiling, or behind the Velcro'd panel in the forward port side berth.  I don't think this is the problem, but Willie should check it and the helm mounted toggle switch. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

 

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 10:17 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

 

Correct – furling motor/gearbox.

 

Did loosen as you described below; can furl & unfurl manually - no sail jam.

 

Did NOT rap the gearbox; it is night now; will do tomorrow.

Willie is coming on board 2nd thing tomorrow morning; was holiday here today.

 

Brushes motor – didn’t think about those. l did study your AMEL bible but missed that.

 

Where is the solenoid – I tried to find in the manual as well as your “A B”. As this is similar problem I had 2 weeks ago with the windlass (not down but luckily did go up) which was the solenoid I have been trying to locate.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54 2009

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

May 1, 2019 20:15:11

 

 

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 19:32
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

First check the simple things:

 

I assume you are having an issue with the furling motor/gearbox and not the outhaul motor/gearbox.

 

Loosen the 4 bolts on the furling motor/gearbox, lower the unit enough to disengage the main foil fr the motor/gearbox, then test the manual furler with a winch handle. If it works, you've eliminated a sail jam. Next try the furler motor while disconnected. Take a rubber mallet a rap the gearbox sharply. If either of these work, call Willie and tell him you probably need new brushes in the motor. You may have spares... check my Amel Book for changing brushes. 

 

It is possible that the large solenoid has failed, but I have yet to actually see this happen. 

 

Get back to me. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

 

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 5:51 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Was on my way to TANNA VANUATU and can NOT unfurl the main sail. It will furl but NOT unfurl.
The switch in the cockpit is good.   Any suggestions?

Have returned to NOUMEA as I need to have this working before crossing to VANUATU

Thanks.

Teun BAAS

AMELIT  A54  2009
NOUMEA, NEW CALEDONIA 

 

 


 


 

 



 


 


Re: AMEL 54 main furler

Teun BAAS
 

Hi Danny,

 

Thanks for your Email.

Looking forward to cruising VANUATU for 4 or 6 months (until cyclone season kicks in) and then maybe towards to SOLOMON ISLANDS, PNG and then INDONESIA etc. or maybe first to AUSTRALIA.

 

Maybe we meet in one these areas?

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54 #128

 

May 2, 2019 15:52:38

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 15:13
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Hi Teun,

I am sure you will enjoy Vanuatu. Tana volcano is amazing, you can stand above the crater and watch it blow. Wow. Then as you go North you will find many places of great interest.

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 02 May 2019 at 14:23 Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Bill,

 

Final outcome:

 

A loose spade connection under AMEL dash board near the switch. Everything else is fine.

I guess the rocking & rolling yday caused this but I believe this connection was handled by Willie last year when they put in the new dash board.

 

Anyhow – all good to go for leaving tomorrow morning to VAUATU.

 

Also thanks for the feedback from Arno and Ian.

 

Best Regards Teun

AMELIT  A54  #128

 

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA 

May 2, 2019 13:22:34

 

 

From: Teun BAAS
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 09:18
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: RE: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Hi Bill,

 

Willie on board. Switch is good.

 

I didn’t know that next to the white Velcro panel where there are 2 heat breakers when you open the closet door there is at the top a wooden panel which is held by 1 screw. When removing it gives access to 1 main furler (brake) relay and 2 solenoids. See pic.

 

Willie is testing now.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54 #128

 

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

May 2, 2019 09:16:24

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teun BAAS via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2019 06:49
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Bill,

 

I knew of these 2 boxes but was not aware they were the solenoids; I thought they were resistance breakers.

 

I will have it checked by Willie this morning. From everything it sounds the bushes might be likely the issue as it furls in no problem; when the motor released from the furler we can hand crank easily.

 

Will let you know the outcome today.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

 

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA.

May 2, 2019 06:48:30

 

 

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 22:10
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

Teun,

 

Furling solenoid is behind the Velcro'd panel just inside the forward watertight door near the ceiling, or behind the Velcro'd panel in the forward port side berth.  I don't think this is the problem, but Willie should check it and the helm mounted toggle switch. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

 

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 10:17 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

 

Correct – furling motor/gearbox.

 

Did loosen as you described below; can furl & unfurl manually - no sail jam.

 

Did NOT rap the gearbox; it is night now; will do tomorrow.

Willie is coming on board 2nd thing tomorrow morning; was holiday here today.

 

Brushes motor – didn’t think about those. l did study your AMEL bible but missed that.

 

Where is the solenoid – I tried to find in the manual as well as your “A B”. As this is similar problem I had 2 weeks ago with the windlass (not down but luckily did go up) which was the solenoid I have been trying to locate.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54 2009

NOUMEA  NEW CALEDONIA

May 1, 2019 20:15:11

 

 

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 19:32
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] AMEL 54 main furler

 

First check the simple things:

 

I assume you are having an issue with the furling motor/gearbox and not the outhaul motor/gearbox.

 

Loosen the 4 bolts on the furling motor/gearbox, lower the unit enough to disengage the main foil fr the motor/gearbox, then test the manual furler with a winch handle. If it works, you've eliminated a sail jam. Next try the furler motor while disconnected. Take a rubber mallet a rap the gearbox sharply. If either of these work, call Willie and tell him you probably need new brushes in the motor. You may have spares... check my Amel Book for changing brushes. 

 

It is possible that the large solenoid has failed, but I have yet to actually see this happen. 

 

Get back to me. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

 

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 5:51 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Was on my way to TANNA VANUATU and can NOT unfurl the main sail. It will furl but NOT unfurl.
The switch in the cockpit is good.   Any suggestions?

Have returned to NOUMEA as I need to have this working before crossing to VANUATU

Thanks.

Teun BAAS

AMELIT  A54  2009
NOUMEA, NEW CALEDONIA