Date   
Re: C-Drive vs Linecutter

Dean Gillies
 

Hi All, 
Thanks to everyone for the guidance. 

I found a source for the Dowty/ Bonded Seal washers, and have renewed the O-ring.
Could not get the V bolt to align with 1 or 2 Dowty washers, and 3 was too many. So have resorted to mastic like others to complete the seal.  Not very happy with that solution, but it seems to be accepted method so we’ll see how it goes.

Now part way through replacing the bushing and lip seals, so will be able to fill the transmission with oil before wintering. A little tricky finding ‘silicon’ grease around here on a Sunday :-)

One final question on this little project. I remember having previously seen discussion about which oil to use. I have both 15W40 engine oil and 80W90 gear oil.  

Which should I use?

Many thanks
Dean
SY Stella 
A54-154

Re: bow thruster electrical diagram

jlm@jlmertz.fr
 

Bill, there are 3 red limit switches attached on the stock,

see attached file

Merci

Jean Luc




Le 08/09/2019 à 18:27, CW Bill Rouse a écrit :
Yes, I will send them to you, but, I need to know if you have mechanical limit switch or electronic. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019, 9:14 AM jlm@... <jlm@...> wrote:
Hello all !
Does anyone have the electrical schematic of the bow thruster controls (Super Maramu 2000) ?
Merci
Jean Luc
CottonBay SM316

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Re: bow thruster electrical diagram

 

Yes, I will send them to you, but, I need to know if you have mechanical limit switch or electronic. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970


On Sun, Sep 8, 2019, 9:14 AM jlm@... <jlm@...> wrote:
Hello all !
Does anyone have the electrical schematic of the bow thruster controls (Super Maramu 2000) ?
Merci
Jean Luc
CottonBay SM316

Re: Lift the Perkins 4236 on a Mango

Frederic F
 

Thank you very much to all for the fast responses. The big nuts of the engine mounting are already open, so this part shouldn't be a problem anymore. I think we will try the timber solution to prevent any damage of the boom.
Hopefully everythink works out well.

Best,
Family Fießer
Mango #14

bow thruster electrical diagram

jlm@jlmertz.fr
 

Hello all !
Does anyone have the electrical schematic of the bow thruster controls (Super Maramu 2000) ?
Merci
Jean Luc
CottonBay SM316

Re: Annapolis Boat Show

Mike Ondra
 

Sounds good, Pat. Magnia Friday night and you had put 6:30 on the table.

Seems a number of us will be on Back Creek so let’s see if there is interest in dinner at Davis’ on Thursday evening.

Mike

Aletes SM#240

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, September 8, 2019 7:47 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

 

Mike, Assuming everyone will be at the show, Mangia's is very convenient , right across the street from the show,a two minute walk. Its also a very nice place with great food , it also would not require people to somehow travel to Back Creek as the show is letting out.

Hope to see ya there,

Pat

SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Sep 7, 2019 5:50 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

Hi Pat. Tom and I hope to be there Thursday and Friday. A nice dinner place on Back Creek would be Davis’s Pub which a block from Mears Marina. May avoid some of the downtown hubbub. Rustic, good food and popular with the locals even during the week so reservations may be appropriate if they do them. Maybe both Thursday and Friday night Especially if Friday doesn’t work for some. Just a thought.
Mike

Aletes SM240


On Sep 7, 2019, at 6:55 AM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Kent ,would Friday about 6:30 work for you & Iris.

Pat

SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
From: karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Sep 6, 2019 7:02 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

Hi Pat,

Tell us when and where, I will be there, Iris may be able to come too.

Kent

SN243/Kristy

.
On Sep 6, 2019, at 9:49 AM, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

Speed of Life

Amel 50, #27

~~~️~~~Matt


On Sep 6, 2019, at 9:36 AM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Matt, Ok thats one vote for Fri. What is the name/model of your boat ?

Pat 

SM #123

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Sep 6, 2019 8:49 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

Cindy and I are driving in for the entire show. We have a previous engagement on Saturday, October 12, but Friday would be good.......

~~~️~~~Matt


On Sep 6, 2019, at 8:12 AM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Diane and I will be sailing to the boat show this year, as we have for the last 35 yrs. We would be anchored in the main anchorage and would invite everyone out to the boat for drinks and pizza and we could do that. But it may be more convenient to meet at a local restaurant across the street from the show. Mangia Italian Grill has great pizza ,etc. and is only about 100 ft. from the show. Friday or Sat. about 6:30 would work for us ,Sat. may be busier . If anyone would be interested, lets get a head count .

Seya There,

Pat & Diane,

SV Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
From: karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Sep 5, 2019 9:29 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

Iris and I will be driving over to Annapolis for the show.  If there’s a get-together for dinner and/or drinks, we’d like to join in.

Kent Robertson

S/V Kristy SM243

St Michaels, MD


On Sep 4, 2019, at 10:23 AM, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Mike,

No problem.  JL Mertz's Speedi-Sleeve idea is a good one too as the surface finish on the shaft is really not good enough to ensure a good seal with the oil seal. 

Regarding the Annapolis Boat Show, we will definitely be at the show but we are not sure if we will taking Cara or just driving.  It's such a zoo around there at that time and we can't take the days off work to get there early enough to be ensured of a decent anchoring spot.  Definitely let me know what the plans are as they develop!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Re: Annapolis Boat Show

Patrick McAneny
 

Mike, Assuming everyone will be at the show, Mangia's is very convenient , right across the street from the show,a two minute walk. Its also a very nice place with great food , it also would not require people to somehow travel to Back Creek as the show is letting out.
Hope to see ya there,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Sep 7, 2019 5:50 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

Hi Pat. Tom and I hope to be there Thursday and Friday. A nice dinner place on Back Creek would be Davis’s Pub which a block from Mears Marina. May avoid some of the downtown hubbub. Rustic, good food and popular with the locals even during the week so reservations may be appropriate if they do them. Maybe both Thursday and Friday night Especially if Friday doesn’t work for some. Just a thought.
Mike
Aletes SM240

On Sep 7, 2019, at 6:55 AM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Kent ,would Friday about 6:30 work for you & Iris.
Pat
SM Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Sep 6, 2019 7:02 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

Hi Pat,
Tell us when and where, I will be there, Iris may be able to come too.
Kent
SN243/Kristy
.
On Sep 6, 2019, at 9:49 AM, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

Speed of Life
Amel 50, #27

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 6, 2019, at 9:36 AM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Matt, Ok thats one vote for Fri. What is the name/model of your boat ?
Pat 
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Sep 6, 2019 8:49 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

Cindy and I are driving in for the entire show. We have a previous engagement on Saturday, October 12, but Friday would be good.......

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 6, 2019, at 8:12 AM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Diane and I will be sailing to the boat show this year, as we have for the last 35 yrs. We would be anchored in the main anchorage and would invite everyone out to the boat for drinks and pizza and we could do that. But it may be more convenient to meet at a local restaurant across the street from the show. Mangia Italian Grill has great pizza ,etc. and is only about 100 ft. from the show. Friday or Sat. about 6:30 would work for us ,Sat. may be busier . If anyone would be interested, lets get a head count .
Seya There,
Pat & Diane,
SV Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Sep 5, 2019 9:29 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

Iris and I will be driving over to Annapolis for the show.  If there’s a get-together for dinner and/or drinks, we’d like to join in.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy SM243
St Michaels, MD

On Sep 4, 2019, at 10:23 AM, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Mike,

No problem.  JL Mertz's Speedi-Sleeve idea is a good one too as the surface finish on the shaft is really not good enough to ensure a good seal with the oil seal. 

Regarding the Annapolis Boat Show, we will definitely be at the show but we are not sure if we will taking Cara or just driving.  It's such a zoo around there at that time and we can't take the days off work to get there early enough to be ensured of a decent anchoring spot.  Definitely let me know what the plans are as they develop!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Re: Amel is going lithium

Gerhard Mueller
 

Willem,

even it was 2 years ago and things may have changed now
please publish your source.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60
Currently Kalamata, Greece

Re: C-Drive vs Linecutter

jlm@jlmertz.fr
 

Hi Tim

On CottonBay we do that every 6/7 years and do 120-160 hrs / Year, so I agree with 1000hrs,

We NEVER had water in the Cdrive, never....

Next I will put on the bronze speedyslives, so I expect to never have to change anything ...

Fair winds

Jean Luc on CotonBay



Le 07/09/2019 à 21:37, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS a écrit :

Hi Tim,

Amel recommend replacing the 3 c drive shaft seals and the wearing bearing every 1000hrs. Most of us do the change biannually regardless of hours. It is an easy and relatively low cost preventative maintenance item done conveniently at a programmed haul out. If yours are over 4 years I would place that very high on the probability scale for water ingress. Both the seals and the wearing bearing should be replaced. I wont express an opinion on the sealing of the plug.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 08 September 2019 at 07:23 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

It looks to me that there is some sort of O ring at the top of the threaded portion. It is black. What is that?

I would guess the chance of having water inside the C-Drive 4 years beyond service date is very high.

Regarding the drain plug area, is the GRP also cracked? See below:
image.png
I am sure it must be an illusion, but the mark in the metal appears to be raised. I am going to assume that it is an indention. The shell of the C-Drive is made of GRP, and there are metal inserts that support bearing connection points, seal points, and this particular drain plug hole. I think you need some expert advice from someone knowledgeable of the manufacturing process of the C-Drive in order to find the best solution. I will offer a temporary recommendation, without any direct knowledge of the C-Drive manufacturing process: Since there is not any significant positive or negative pressure inside the C-Drive, I would be tempted to use Silicone RTV to fill the indentation of that scratch and also on the O Ring...at least until someone can offer an expert solution.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970



On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 9:41 PM Tim Melbourne < tim@...> wrote:
Here's a related problem- either a crack or deep scratch along the surface that seats the V-plug O-ring (see attached photo).  
Last haul out my oil also came out milky, but the propshaft seals were 4 years past changeout date, so I can't know whether seawater got in under the O-ring via this crack or through the mainshaft seals. 
Anybody have an idea for a fix?   Fill it with epoxy and sand it fine?  Somehow put in a new seating?  
Previous owner said "Ignore it, it's been there since 2003." which I find unsettling. 

Tim 
SM2K #306

 

 


Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Re: Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)

Scott SV Tengah
 

FYI it turns out my Quattro is mounted vertically in the engine room, so airflow is as Victron recommends. That is probably why it doesn't suffer any reduced charging output or inverter output after extended use.

See attached. I modified the intake air that Amel provided for the old Dolphin chargers a bit so that it feeds air to both the Skylla and the Quattro.

The Skylla is mounted sideways, but again, I have never experienced reduced output from it. That's probably because it's only running at most 2 hours at a time and that's if the battery bank starts out empty, which never occurs for me.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Re: Amel is going lithium

Scott SV Tengah
 

FYI it turns out my Quattro is mounted vertically in the engine room, so airflow is as Victron recommends. That is probably why it doesn't suffer any ill effects from being in the engine room.

See attached. 

The Skylla is mounted sideways, but again, I have never experienced reduced output from it. That's probably because it's only running at most 2 hours at a time and that's if the battery bank starts out nearly empty.
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Re: Annapolis Boat Show

Mike Ondra
 

Hi Pat. Tom and I hope to be there Thursday and Friday. A nice dinner place on Back Creek would be Davis’s Pub which a block from Mears Marina. May avoid some of the downtown hubbub. Rustic, good food and popular with the locals even during the week so reservations may be appropriate if they do them. Maybe both Thursday and Friday night Especially if Friday doesn’t work for some. Just a thought.
Mike
Aletes SM240

On Sep 7, 2019, at 6:55 AM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Kent ,would Friday about 6:30 work for you & Iris.
Pat
SM Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Sep 6, 2019 7:02 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

Hi Pat,
Tell us when and where, I will be there, Iris may be able to come too.
Kent
SN243/Kristy
.
On Sep 6, 2019, at 9:49 AM, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

Speed of Life
Amel 50, #27

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 6, 2019, at 9:36 AM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Matt, Ok thats one vote for Fri. What is the name/model of your boat ?
Pat 
SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Sep 6, 2019 8:49 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

Cindy and I are driving in for the entire show. We have a previous engagement on Saturday, October 12, but Friday would be good.......

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 6, 2019, at 8:12 AM, Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Diane and I will be sailing to the boat show this year, as we have for the last 35 yrs. We would be anchored in the main anchorage and would invite everyone out to the boat for drinks and pizza and we could do that. But it may be more convenient to meet at a local restaurant across the street from the show. Mangia Italian Grill has great pizza ,etc. and is only about 100 ft. from the show. Friday or Sat. about 6:30 would work for us ,Sat. may be busier . If anyone would be interested, lets get a head count .
Seya There,
Pat & Diane,
SV Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
To: main <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Sep 5, 2019 9:29 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Annapolis Boat Show

Iris and I will be driving over to Annapolis for the show.  If there’s a get-together for dinner and/or drinks, we’d like to join in.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy SM243
St Michaels, MD

On Sep 4, 2019, at 10:23 AM, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Mike,

No problem.  JL Mertz's Speedi-Sleeve idea is a good one too as the surface finish on the shaft is really not good enough to ensure a good seal with the oil seal. 

Regarding the Annapolis Boat Show, we will definitely be at the show but we are not sure if we will taking Cara or just driving.  It's such a zoo around there at that time and we can't take the days off work to get there early enough to be ensured of a decent anchoring spot.  Definitely let me know what the plans are as they develop!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Re: C-Drive vs Linecutter

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Tim,

Amel recommend replacing the 3 c drive shaft seals and the wearing bearing every 1000hrs. Most of us do the change biannually regardless of hours. It is an easy and relatively low cost preventative maintenance item done conveniently at a programmed haul out. If yours are over 4 years I would place that very high on the probability scale for water ingress. Both the seals and the wearing bearing should be replaced. I wont express an opinion on the sealing of the plug.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 08 September 2019 at 07:23 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

It looks to me that there is some sort of O ring at the top of the threaded portion. It is black. What is that?

I would guess the chance of having water inside the C-Drive 4 years beyond service date is very high.

Regarding the drain plug area, is the GRP also cracked? See below:
image.png
I am sure it must be an illusion, but the mark in the metal appears to be raised. I am going to assume that it is an indention. The shell of the C-Drive is made of GRP, and there are metal inserts that support bearing connection points, seal points, and this particular drain plug hole. I think you need some expert advice from someone knowledgeable of the manufacturing process of the C-Drive in order to find the best solution. I will offer a temporary recommendation, without any direct knowledge of the C-Drive manufacturing process: Since there is not any significant positive or negative pressure inside the C-Drive, I would be tempted to use Silicone RTV to fill the indentation of that scratch and also on the O Ring...at least until someone can offer an expert solution.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970



On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 9:41 PM Tim Melbourne < tim@...> wrote:
Here's a related problem- either a crack or deep scratch along the surface that seats the V-plug O-ring (see attached photo).  
Last haul out my oil also came out milky, but the propshaft seals were 4 years past changeout date, so I can't know whether seawater got in under the O-ring via this crack or through the mainshaft seals. 
Anybody have an idea for a fix?   Fill it with epoxy and sand it fine?  Somehow put in a new seating?  
Previous owner said "Ignore it, it's been there since 2003." which I find unsettling. 

Tim 
SM2K #306

 

 

Re: C-Drive vs Linecutter

 

It looks to me that there is some sort of O ring at the top of the threaded portion. It is black. What is that?

I would guess the chance of having water inside the C-Drive 4 years beyond service date is very high.

Regarding the drain plug area, is the GRP also cracked? See below:
image.png
I am sure it must be an illusion, but the mark in the metal appears to be raised. I am going to assume that it is an indention. The shell of the C-Drive is made of GRP, and there are metal inserts that support bearing connection points, seal points, and this particular drain plug hole. I think you need some expert advice from someone knowledgeable of the manufacturing process of the C-Drive in order to find the best solution. I will offer a temporary recommendation, without any direct knowledge of the C-Drive manufacturing process: Since there is not any significant positive or negative pressure inside the C-Drive, I would be tempted to use Silicone RTV to fill the indentation of that scratch and also on the O Ring...at least until someone can offer an expert solution.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970



On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 9:41 PM Tim Melbourne <tim@...> wrote:
Here's a related problem- either a crack or deep scratch along the surface that seats the V-plug O-ring (see attached photo).  
Last haul out my oil also came out milky, but the propshaft seals were 4 years past changeout date, so I can't know whether seawater got in under the O-ring via this crack or through the mainshaft seals. 
Anybody have an idea for a fix?   Fill it with epoxy and sand it fine?  Somehow put in a new seating?  
Previous owner said "Ignore it, it's been there since 2003." which I find unsettling. 

Tim 
SM2K #306

Re: Aqua Signal Series 44 LED port/starboard bow nav lights

Dan Carlson
 

Thanks Ryan, 

I'll prepare to replace the working as well. No issues yet, but is getting of the age.  

I had the same thoughts about replacing with the white.  

Here is the exact description of the Series 44 from the Aqua Signal site:

"Series 44 LED Navigation Light – It will keep you safe!
Our new maintenance free LED navigation light is the
perfect choice for recreational boats and vessels <50m.
The modern and unique design combined with LED
optics and high quality electronics guarantees safety
at sea in all weather conditions. Designed for fashion,
developed for heavy duty work.

Housing

Polycarbonate, black or white,
seawater resistant, UV-resistant,
non-corrosive and non-magnetic,
impact and shock resistant. Same
footprint and fixing points like S40,
S41 and S43."

It looks good, but it is nice to have confirmation from someone who has actually installed it on the same boat.  Which of course is the value of this Amel owners group. Sharing real life experience.

Best regards, Daniel Carlson, SM #387, sv BeBe


On Sat, Sep 7, 2019, 11:51 AM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@... wrote:
Hi Dan,

I replaced the wiring from the lights, through the bow pulpit, all the way back to the port deck locker.  This let me get the length of the wire exactly correct.  I was having wiring issues anyways.

The routing of the wire inside the light housing took a little thought, but wasn't difficult.  I ended up bringing it in through the cut-out at the bottom of the housing.  The supplied connectors are very large, but designed to fit snugly inside the housing.  Sliding the two halves of the rubber boot together took a few tries before it was overlapped to my satisfaction.  I think it will be quite waterproof and I don't anticipate ever needing to take it apart for the life of the light -- that's the joy of LEDs.

One of the mounting screw holes that matched the existing light fixtures was covered by the electronics module inside the housing, so I had to carefully remove it, secure the nuts on the back with tape, mount the housing, reinstall the electronics, and then pull the tape out.  It sounds more complicated than it was.

I went with the white fixtures, primarily because I thought they'd look better on the boat and are more unique.  They may also stay cooler in the sun which should prolong the lifespan of the electronics inside.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 7:51 PM Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:
Thanks Ryan,  that's very helpful.  

No issues with the wiring?  One of buyer commented on the wiring connections that came with the package.

Also, did you go with the black or white fixtures? 

Thanks and regards, Dan and Lori Carlson on SM #387, sv BeBe



On Fri, Sep 6, 2019, 4:01 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@... wrote:
I recently made the change to the series 44.  The mounting plate is not exactly the same -- you can't use the neat little slide on/off bracket.  Two of the screw holes do line up, though.  I drilled a third one for extra security, and I put cap nuts on the inside (the side facing the genoa furler) so nothing gets snagged on them.  It was a pretty quick and painless upgrade, once I had the right parts:

M4 screws, 16mm long, hex drive (3 per light)
washers for M4, 4.3mm ID, 9mm OD (I think 6 per light)
M4 cap nuts (3 per light)

All in 316 stainless, of course.  I sourced them from McMaster.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:07 PM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Dan,

 

I recently replaced the bulbs on my AS 40 with a colored LEDs. Didn't want to deal with retrofitting the mount.

https://store.marinebeam.com/aqua-signal-bi-color-led-replacement-bulb/

The housing leaked probably due to some submarining when we were sailing upwind in 45 knots, so I replaced the bulb, sealed it up and pray daily that it stays sealed. :)


--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Re: Aqua Signal Series 44 LED port/starboard bow nav lights

Thomas Peacock
 

I’m sure one can reverse engineer most any light, but, FWIW, the Series 44 is described on Aquasignal’s web site as being a deck mounted light. The 34 series is listed as side mount. 

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay


On Sep 7, 2019, at 6:51 PM, Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:

Hi Dan,

I replaced the wiring from the lights, through the bow pulpit, all the way back to the port deck locker.  This let me get the length of the wire exactly correct.  I was having wiring issues anyways.

The routing of the wire inside the light housing took a little thought, but wasn't difficult.  I ended up bringing it in through the cut-out at the bottom of the housing.  The supplied connectors are very large, but designed to fit snugly inside the housing.  Sliding the two halves of the rubber boot together took a few tries before it was overlapped to my satisfaction.  I think it will be quite waterproof and I don't anticipate ever needing to take it apart for the life of the light -- that's the joy of LEDs.

One of the mounting screw holes that matched the existing light fixtures was covered by the electronics module inside the housing, so I had to carefully remove it, secure the nuts on the back with tape, mount the housing, reinstall the electronics, and then pull the tape out.  It sounds more complicated than it was.

I went with the white fixtures, primarily because I thought they'd look better on the boat and are more unique.  They may also stay cooler in the sun which should prolong the lifespan of the electronics inside.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 7:51 PM Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:
Thanks Ryan,  that's very helpful.  

No issues with the wiring?  One of buyer commented on the wiring connections that came with the package.

Also, did you go with the black or white fixtures? 

Thanks and regards, Dan and Lori Carlson on SM #387, sv BeBe



On Fri, Sep 6, 2019, 4:01 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@... wrote:
I recently made the change to the series 44.  The mounting plate is not exactly the same -- you can't use the neat little slide on/off bracket.  Two of the screw holes do line up, though.  I drilled a third one for extra security, and I put cap nuts on the inside (the side facing the genoa furler) so nothing gets snagged on them.  It was a pretty quick and painless upgrade, once I had the right parts:

M4 screws, 16mm long, hex drive (3 per light)
washers for M4, 4.3mm ID, 9mm OD (I think 6 per light)
M4 cap nuts (3 per light)

All in 316 stainless, of course.  I sourced them from McMaster.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:07 PM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Dan,

 

I recently replaced the bulbs on my AS 40 with a colored LEDs. Didn't want to deal with retrofitting the mount.

https://store.marinebeam.com/aqua-signal-bi-color-led-replacement-bulb/

The housing leaked probably due to some submarining when we were sailing upwind in 45 knots, so I replaced the bulb, sealed it up and pray daily that it stays sealed. :)


--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Re: Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)

Joerg Esdorn
 

Thanks, Scott.  Lots to think about.  What happened on my overcharging episode was that the sensing wire was loose at the alternator.  Result was that the voltage read by the regulators was some 3V lower (!!!) than the voltage I measured at the battery.  Hence the regulator put the alternator in bulk when float was indicated!   The only way I could see that was by connecting my laptop to the alternator via the Mastervolt Masterbus.  Once I tightened the connection, the sensing wire read .3V HIGHER than voltage at the batteries which makes sense because of the resistance in the wiring.    Stuff happens! 

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53
Kincsem
Currently in Cádiz 




Re: Aqua Signal Series 44 LED port/starboard bow nav lights

Mike Ondra
 

We did the Aquasignal 34 series for vessels under 50 meters. Fit nicely on the back plate, even the holes lined up with the those left behind by the old Aquasignal incandescent fixture.

 

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Carlson
Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 7:51 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Aqua Signal Series 44 LED port/starboard bow nav lights

 

Thanks Ryan,  that's very helpful.  

 

No issues with the wiring?  One of buyer commented on the wiring connections that came with the package.

 

Also, did you go with the black or white fixtures? 

 

Thanks and regards, Dan and Lori Carlson on SM #387, sv BeBe

 

 

 

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019, 4:01 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@... wrote:

I recently made the change to the series 44.  The mounting plate is not exactly the same -- you can't use the neat little slide on/off bracket.  Two of the screw holes do line up, though.  I drilled a third one for extra security, and I put cap nuts on the inside (the side facing the genoa furler) so nothing gets snagged on them.  It was a pretty quick and painless upgrade, once I had the right parts:

 

M4 screws, 16mm long, hex drive (3 per light)

washers for M4, 4.3mm ID, 9mm OD (I think 6 per light)

M4 cap nuts (3 per light)

 

All in 316 stainless, of course.  I sourced them from McMaster.

 

Ryan and Kelly

SM 233 Iteration

Boston, MA, USA

 

 

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:07 PM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Dan,

 

I recently replaced the bulbs on my AS 40 with a colored LEDs. Didn't want to deal with retrofitting the mount.

https://store.marinebeam.com/aqua-signal-bi-color-led-replacement-bulb/

The housing leaked probably due to some submarining when we were sailing upwind in 45 knots, so I replaced the bulb, sealed it up and pray daily that it stays sealed. :)


--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Re: Aqua Signal Series 44 LED port/starboard bow nav lights

Ryan Meador
 

Hi Dan,

I replaced the wiring from the lights, through the bow pulpit, all the way back to the port deck locker.  This let me get the length of the wire exactly correct.  I was having wiring issues anyways.

The routing of the wire inside the light housing took a little thought, but wasn't difficult.  I ended up bringing it in through the cut-out at the bottom of the housing.  The supplied connectors are very large, but designed to fit snugly inside the housing.  Sliding the two halves of the rubber boot together took a few tries before it was overlapped to my satisfaction.  I think it will be quite waterproof and I don't anticipate ever needing to take it apart for the life of the light -- that's the joy of LEDs.

One of the mounting screw holes that matched the existing light fixtures was covered by the electronics module inside the housing, so I had to carefully remove it, secure the nuts on the back with tape, mount the housing, reinstall the electronics, and then pull the tape out.  It sounds more complicated than it was.

I went with the white fixtures, primarily because I thought they'd look better on the boat and are more unique.  They may also stay cooler in the sun which should prolong the lifespan of the electronics inside.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 7:51 PM Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:
Thanks Ryan,  that's very helpful.  

No issues with the wiring?  One of buyer commented on the wiring connections that came with the package.

Also, did you go with the black or white fixtures? 

Thanks and regards, Dan and Lori Carlson on SM #387, sv BeBe



On Fri, Sep 6, 2019, 4:01 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@... wrote:
I recently made the change to the series 44.  The mounting plate is not exactly the same -- you can't use the neat little slide on/off bracket.  Two of the screw holes do line up, though.  I drilled a third one for extra security, and I put cap nuts on the inside (the side facing the genoa furler) so nothing gets snagged on them.  It was a pretty quick and painless upgrade, once I had the right parts:

M4 screws, 16mm long, hex drive (3 per light)
washers for M4, 4.3mm ID, 9mm OD (I think 6 per light)
M4 cap nuts (3 per light)

All in 316 stainless, of course.  I sourced them from McMaster.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:07 PM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Dan,

 

I recently replaced the bulbs on my AS 40 with a colored LEDs. Didn't want to deal with retrofitting the mount.

https://store.marinebeam.com/aqua-signal-bi-color-led-replacement-bulb/

The housing leaked probably due to some submarining when we were sailing upwind in 45 knots, so I replaced the bulb, sealed it up and pray daily that it stays sealed. :)


--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Climma AC fan speed will not change

Mohammad Shirloo
 

Hi All;

The aft cabin AC fan speed selection had been working intermittently for a while. Speeds 1,2 and 4 would work fine but sometimes when the selection was changed from 2 to 4 it would not speed up and sometimes when it was turned off and on, the speed would go up to 4. The blower fan stopped working completely a few days ago and we had zero air flow. I changed the blower fan capacitor (the small one 2 microfarad) and the fan started right up, much quicker than before and with a lot more air volume being pumped into the cabin. However, now we have zero fan speed control. It stays at what appears to be maximum fan speed at all settings of 1-4 and automatic.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I do have a spare transformer, controller and wall display unit plus the other 2 capacitors.

Thanks in advance

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo 
Amel 54 # 099