Date   
Re: Leroy Somer Spare parts

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

Hi Kent,

 Which parts did you have made ?  3-D printing could play a huge role in replacing parts that are no longer in production.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...>
Sent: 01 November 2019 00:33
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Leroy Somer Spare parts
 
I had some made by 3D printing in nylon that seem to be holding up.  Contact Ronan at Pro 3D Printing Services +1 (410) 831-5891

They were $150 each with the cost of design work.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 30, 2019, at 4:16 PM, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

He paul ,
We ordert new gaerboxes in Italy and install one new .
It was not expencive
Only the leroy somer motor you ca order it only by amel
It was not possoble to order the motor  by leroy somer

When you intrested i will lock tomorow for some fotos and mre details

Best
Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet



Lip Seals Amel SM

Paul Osterberg
 

I thought I saw a list of various lip seals needed for the Amel SM, but now I can't find it. I'm doing overhaul of a few things and thought I should order a collection of Lip seals for now a future needs. Does such list exist? I assume different vintage might have some different measures but most should be the same I guess
If not maybe we together can make one, and maybe one for the various o rings needed when servicing various items aboard.

Paul on S/Y Kerpa #259 Lagos, Portugal

Re: Main furling "clutch"

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222
 

He Paul ,
It is not realy dificult , but you need good tools and 4-5 hours and a little know how ,
For me this do a frind of mine incloudit the black rings .
If you like i will ask him to do it again for you , and what is the price for the compleatly gaerbox .

Feel free to replay
Elja Röllinghoff
SM Balu
222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Re: B&G Halcyon (GSC) Gyro-Stabilized Compass

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica
 

I used the NMEA 0183 out at the Raymarine Autopilot to read Mag HDG heading by Actisense NGW-1 (actually I build my own but does the same, only better software).
The actisense bridge sends the mag HDG into my NMEA2000 bus and all connected devices use it for their calculations.

For now I did not realise any delays in the calculations based on HDG. That might be caused by my DIY Actisense bridge, because it has a very fast CPU, taking in consideration that the NMEA 0183 is relative slow.

Oliver from 
Vela Nautica 
A54#39 
Gibraltar 

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 23:39 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Oliver,

Early 54s had Raymarine autopilots and a fluxgate compass. The fluxgate was located on the port side near the forward port side corner of the dining table sectional seating.

Later 54s had Furuno AutoPilots and had a Furuno electronic compass located on the Starboard side just forward of the saloon water tight bulkhead. The strange thing that I discovered is that B&G will not read the HDG of a Raymarine Fluxgate Compass from the NMEA OUT on the Raymarine processor, but the B&G will read HDG from the NMEA OUT of the Furuno compass. I have always believed that "fluxgate" is a Raymarine Trademark for an electronic compass.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   


On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:47 PM Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:
Hi Wolfgang,

I think I got also only the fluxgate from Raymarine. I will look for it in the forward cabin. 

I could not find any other compass or wires for it when I remouved the hydra system 2 weeks ago. It was no more working and we replaced it by a NMEA2000 system. New windvane and tridata sounder with sonic speed integrated.

Maybe I need to add a faster Nmea 2k compass if the fluxgate updates slow. For now I did not reasise any delay

Regards Oliver
A54#39 
Vela Nautica 
Gibraltar 

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 11:09 Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Oliver,
In the moment I am not on the boat, but I think I only have the compass which belongs to the Furuno Autopilot, which is in the Bb Forwardcabin in the bilge. My boat is now in Fort Lauderdale and will be shipped to Gibraltar (hopefully) the next week. So I should be there end of November.
All the best to the group   Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162





160l/hr Water-maker hp pump

ngtnewington Newington
 

I have a small oil leak on the Desalateur Cat HP Pump.
I am wondering if others have found this issue and possible solutions.
I have not yet taken it out and had a good look. I am hesitant to take it all apart without rebuild kit.
Any thoughts?
Nick
Amelia sailing to Koiladhia, Greece.
AML 54-019

Re: Leroy Somer Spare parts

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222
 

He Kent ,
you print the gaer boxes ?

Best Elja Röllinghoff
SM Balu



Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Re: B&G Halcyon (GSC) Gyro-Stabilized Compass

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Yes Brent. For the reasons you enumerate the right place for the flux gate compass is low down and central as possible.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 01 November 2019 at 15:35 Brent Cameron <brentcameron61@...> wrote:

Bill, a fluxgate isn’t a proprietary Raymarine term.  It is a relatively simple device consisting of iron cores surrounded by primary and secondary copper windings.  It is used to determine the magnetic fields of the earth.  They need to be level against the horizon to work and the old ones are usually gimbal stabilized or mounted in some sort of dampening fluid like a compass or use may even use electronic dampening so that it doesn’t swing with the boat yawing, pitching and rolling.  Newer models are often combined with gyro compasses which use the principle of a top spinning maintaining its orientation in space despite the world turning around it.  The fluxgate provides a stable long term reference to the magnetic field while the gyro provides short term dynamic stability and allows dampening of any external forces on it.  The challenge is that this takes a fair bit of energy to keep that gyroscope spinning and of course advances occur.  Now even newer units combine all this by using 3-axis fluxgates with the horizon vector being determined by a line perpendicular to gravity all done inside a small chip in silicon.  Y ou likely have one in your pocket with your iPhone.   

Brent Cameron, Future Amel owner & Amel Owner's Registry Moderator


 


--
Brent Cameron

Future Amel Owner & Amel Owner Registry Moderator

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada


 

Re: B&G Halcyon (GSC) Gyro-Stabilized Compass

Brent Cameron
 

Bill, a fluxgate isn’t a proprietary Raymarine term.  It is a relatively simple device consisting of iron cores surrounded by primary and secondary copper windings.  It is used to determine the magnetic fields of the earth.  They need to be level against the horizon to work and the old ones are usually gimbal stabilized or mounted in some sort of dampening fluid like a compass or use may even use electronic dampening so that it doesn’t swing with the boat yawing, pitching and rolling.  Newer models are often combined with gyro compasses which use the principle of a top spinning maintaining its orientation in space despite the world turning around it.  The fluxgate provides a stable long term reference to the magnetic field while the gyro provides short term dynamic stability and allows dampening of any external forces on it.  The challenge is that this takes a fair bit of energy to keep that gyroscope spinning and of course advances occur.  Now even newer units combine all this by using 3-axis fluxgates with the horizon vector being determined by a line perpendicular to gravity all done inside a small chip in silicon.  You likely have one in your pocket with your iPhone.   

Brent Cameron, Future Amel owner & Amel Owner's Registry Moderator

--
Brent Cameron

Future Amel Owner & Amel Owner Registry Moderator

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Re: Prop antifouling

James Cromie
 

Has anyone tried simply rubbing marine grease on the prop every 2 - 3 months?  I have been told that this works well for periods up to about 3 months.  Haven’t tried it myself yet…

James
SV Soteria, preparing to sail Aruba to Cartagena

On Oct 31, 2019, at 8:39 PM, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

I tried PropSpeed 3 separate times. (They certainly are proud of that stuff!)
I had the same results as you. Very unsatisfactory. I tried everything, and finally found a decent solution.
<image1.jpeg>
I use the spray. About $35 US for a can.
I use the whole can on my underwater metal, usually 3 or 4 coats on the prop. I burnish the fully dried paint with a heavy duty scotch brite pad, to expose the zinc (not on the edges, but the flats of the blades).
In an entire season, not a single barnacle or growth of any kind on the prop. And the paint stayed adhered to my stainless prop. I don’t burnish the other underwater metals, and do have some growth on them, so the burnishing is important. I spray the prop once a year.


~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 31, 2019, at 7:14 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Looking for advice- I'm doing a bottom job in 6 weeks. Last year I used Propspeed on my Autoprop and 6 months later there was no evidence of it.....the barnacles however were flourishing. While I enjoy diving I like it better without a scraper in my hand.  Given the cost of Propspeed, 6 months is unacceptable. Would love to know if there's something better out there.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama

Re: A54 genoa furler tube grease

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Cheers

Danny

On 01 November 2019 at 12:14 Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

 
Hi Danny,

Thanks, I’ll keep my hear out for bad noises from there. 

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO 
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia 

On 15 Oct 2019, at 09:55, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Hi Thomas, if amel used thecsame system as the sm the wire on the forestay is slathered with grease before it is inserted into the foil. This is to lubricate the wire/foil conection as the sail is rolled and unrolled. They used a high viscosity grease but in warmer areas it becomes a bit fluid and leaks out the bottom. Bit messy but not a big issue. Eventually it will need replenishing indicated by a scraping noise when you are furling. If you ever have the forestay off for any reason take the oportunity to grease the stay then.

Regards Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 16 October 2019 at 08:20 Sv Garulfo < svgarulfo@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Recently our genoa furler tube started to leak a bit of grease at the connection with the furler motor.

Does anyone know how it should be topped up and with what type of grease? Any more permanent fix?

Note that the furler motor was upgraded to a Reckmann by the former owner and that the tube is a black, 2-rail one, which I believe is not the original (ie the 3-rail grey ones I’ve seen on other 54s). I wouldn’t think it matters too much to the problem though. 

Many thanks!

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia 


 


 

Re: Prop antifouling

Matt Salatino
 

I tried PropSpeed 3 separate times. (They certainly are proud of that stuff!)
I had the same results as you. Very unsatisfactory. I tried everything, and finally found a decent solution.
image1.jpeg
I use the spray. About $35 US for a can.
I use the whole can on my underwater metal, usually 3 or 4 coats on the prop. I burnish the fully dried paint with a heavy duty scotch brite pad, to expose the zinc (not on the edges, but the flats of the blades).
In an entire season, not a single barnacle or growth of any kind on the prop. And the paint stayed adhered to my stainless prop. I don’t burnish the other underwater metals, and do have some growth on them, so the burnishing is important. I spray the prop once a year.


~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 31, 2019, at 7:14 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Looking for advice- I'm doing a bottom job in 6 weeks. Last year I used Propspeed on my Autoprop and 6 months later there was no evidence of it.....the barnacles however were flourishing. While I enjoy diving I like it better without a scraper in my hand.  Given the cost of Propspeed, 6 months is unacceptable. Would love to know if there's something better out there.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama

Re: Leroy Somer Spare parts

karkauai
 

I had some made by 3D printing in nylon that seem to be holding up.  Contact Ronan at Pro 3D Printing Services +1 (410) 831-5891

They were $150 each with the cost of design work.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 30, 2019, at 4:16 PM, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

He paul ,
We ordert new gaerboxes in Italy and install one new .
It was not expencive
Only the leroy somer motor you ca order it only by amel
It was not possoble to order the motor  by leroy somer

When you intrested i will lock tomorow for some fotos and mre details

Best
Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet



Re: A54 genoa furler tube grease

Sv Garulfo
 

Hi Danny,

Thanks, I’ll keep my hear out for bad noises from there. 

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO 
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia 

On 15 Oct 2019, at 09:55, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Thomas, if amel used thecsame system as the sm the wire on the forestay is slathered with grease before it is inserted into the foil. This is to lubricate the wire/foil conection as the sail is rolled and unrolled. They used a high viscosity grease but in warmer areas it becomes a bit fluid and leaks out the bottom. Bit messy but not a big issue. Eventually it will need replenishing indicated by a scraping noise when you are furling. If you ever have the forestay off for any reason take the oportunity to grease the stay then.

Regards Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 16 October 2019 at 08:20 Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Recently our genoa furler tube started to leak a bit of grease at the connection with the furler motor.

Does anyone know how it should be topped up and with what type of grease? Any more permanent fix?

Note that the furler motor was upgraded to a Reckmann by the former owner and that the tube is a black, 2-rail one, which I believe is not the original (ie the 3-rail grey ones I’ve seen on other 54s). I wouldn’t think it matters too much to the problem though. 

Many thanks!

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia 

Prop antifouling

Thomas Kleman
 

Looking for advice- I'm doing a bottom job in 6 weeks. Last year I used Propspeed on my Autoprop and 6 months later there was no evidence of it.....the barnacles however were flourishing. While I enjoy diving I like it better without a scraper in my hand.  Given the cost of Propspeed, 6 months is unacceptable. Would love to know if there's something better out there.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama

Re: B&G Halcyon (GSC) Gyro-Stabilized Compass

 

Oliver,

Early 54s had Raymarine autopilots and a fluxgate compass. The fluxgate was located on the port side near the forward port side corner of the dining table sectional seating.

Later 54s had Furuno AutoPilots and had a Furuno electronic compass located on the Starboard side just forward of the saloon water tight bulkhead. The strange thing that I discovered is that B&G will not read the HDG of a Raymarine Fluxgate Compass from the NMEA OUT on the Raymarine processor, but the B&G will read HDG from the NMEA OUT of the Furuno compass. I have always believed that "fluxgate" is a Raymarine Trademark for an electronic compass.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   


On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:47 PM Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:
Hi Wolfgang,

I think I got also only the fluxgate from Raymarine. I will look for it in the forward cabin. 

I could not find any other compass or wires for it when I remouved the hydra system 2 weeks ago. It was no more working and we replaced it by a NMEA2000 system. New windvane and tridata sounder with sonic speed integrated.

Maybe I need to add a faster Nmea 2k compass if the fluxgate updates slow. For now I did not reasise any delay

Regards Oliver
A54#39 
Vela Nautica 
Gibraltar 

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 11:09 Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Oliver,
In the moment I am not on the boat, but I think I only have the compass which belongs to the Furuno Autopilot, which is in the Bb Forwardcabin in the bilge. My boat is now in Fort Lauderdale and will be shipped to Gibraltar (hopefully) the next week. So I should be there end of November.
All the best to the group   Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162





Re: Main furling "clutch"

Paul Osterberg
 

Elja thank you is this Lery Somer or bogi something’s? But still I need to dismantle the “clutch nob” was it difficult to modify the gear box?
Paul

Re: Main furler

Paul Osterberg
 

Mark 
interesting, I thought I had a bearing puller, I bought one on Amazon but It miss one part. I have to see if I can find the missing part else might be possible to manufacture. Obviously one do like in your picture.
Paul

Re: Main furling "clutch"

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222
 

He Paul

This is the new one , you needn a little modifikation .



The old one



And both you can estimate see the work you have to do



Feel free to come bac any tome
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Re: Main furler

Mark McGovern
 

Paul,

I used a bearing puller:






--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Re: B&G Halcyon (GSC) Gyro-Stabilized Compass

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica
 

Hi Wolfgang,

I think I got also only the fluxgate from Raymarine. I will look for it in the forward cabin. 

I could not find any other compass or wires for it when I remouved the hydra system 2 weeks ago. It was no more working and we replaced it by a NMEA2000 system. New windvane and tridata sounder with sonic speed integrated.

Maybe I need to add a faster Nmea 2k compass if the fluxgate updates slow. For now I did not reasise any delay

Regards Oliver
A54#39 
Vela Nautica 
Gibraltar 

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 11:09 Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Oliver,
In the moment I am not on the boat, but I think I only have the compass which belongs to the Furuno Autopilot, which is in the Bb Forwardcabin in the bilge. My boat is now in Fort Lauderdale and will be shipped to Gibraltar (hopefully) the next week. So I should be there end of November.
All the best to the group   Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162