Date   
Main sail foil connection

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown
 

Hi all,

 

My main furler appears to have a rubber “plug” fitted inside the driving hub such that the lower bolt goes through this and only the upper bolt goes through the foil. See attached (although I know it’s not that clear but you can just see it if you zoom in a lot). So in effect, the foil drops into the hub by only 3cm and is attached with only the upper bolt. I thought this may have been done by the previous owner so that the foil can then undergo more breakages before it needs to be replaced in full, but he know nothing about it. I also think that given that the fracture is probably always going to be just above the hub, this is of no consequence. I would be interested to hear if anyone has seen this before, and also hear some opinions as to whether I should continue to use it as it is or try to remove the rubber plug.

 

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

 


--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C Drive Photos

Mitchell Petersen
 

Thanks Craig, also was it difficult knowing where to cut the GRP on the lower unit? Are there any bolts I need to undo within the lower unit to remove  the prop shaft? Did you resin the piece back you cut out of the lower unit or did you re-fibreglass the whole area?

Many thanks
Mitchell 



On Thu, Feb 27, 2020, 9:40 AM Craig Briggs SN 68 Sangaris via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Mitchell,
I did leave the upper unit attached to the trumpet and lifted the whole assembly together. But if you can get a lifting line around the trumpet itself that may work just fine. I recall having to put a tremendous amount of tension on the lifting line with my winches and then tap with a hand sledge, kick it a bit with my foot and rotate it back and forth before it finally popped loose.

Did you find the lifting tang on the overhead above the c drive?  I didn't find that until after I had removed the unit and I think it would have made it much easier by giving a straight up pull.

On mine, the trumpet came out of the boot, but I may have left the lower clamps in place. Regardless, the boot should not give much resistance to the removal. It's where the trumpet mates into the hull with a couple of "O" rings that seemed to be the sticky bit.

By the way, I had removed the bolt holding the lower unit to the keel and wiggled the lower unit around to help release the drive shaft spline.

Good luck with it - hope this helps a bit,
Craig

Re: Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)

islandpearl2_sm2k332
 

Danny

Yes, we have instructed our listing agent in London to take the advert down next week. She is no longer for sale.

These are great boats and fast becoming classics now, and in our case, Island Pearl II has actually remained bubble wrapped in strategic internal places since the day she left the factory, so is in our view totally irreplaceable.

Best regards

Colin
Colin & Lauren Streeter
SV Island Pearl II SM#332
Newport Marina, Brisbane, Australia


On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 2:19 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Colin.

Re the sale of Island Pearl. I am not surprised. I looked for any exuse not to sell Ocean Pearl. The reality is they are the most robust and easiest to sail boat available. (In my humble opinion) So unless you intend to totally swallow the anchor stay with Island Pearl. I was seriously considering a step up to the 54 but watching the posts on the forum my opinion that the SM was the ultimate off shore yacht for a couple became solidified. I see them as the culmination of Henri's lifes work.  So I stay where I am.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 27 February 2020 at 15:57 islandpearl2_sm2k332 <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:

Hi Scott

Thanks again for the tips. The alternator will be my next step after some local testing yes. We are away from the boat down in Sydney for a week, but the Lithium install went perfectly on Tuesday, and Lauren and I are absolutely delighted!!! The 4 x 100amp 24v LifePO4 batteries fit in the 2001 SM 2000 battery compartment perfectly and we have lost at least 150kg of weight, yet to be measured...

Our 2001 SM 2000 has space for 8 house batteries plus start battery (not the enlarged 12 battery bank compartment as on later (2003+?) boats), so this awesome lithium setup would fit in even the very earliest SM's I suspect, and for the first time ever I am now pleased to have the smaller rather than the larger battery space.

Regarding the sale of our boat, we have Island Pearl II listed for sale but had not yet got around to putting her up for sale on the Amel Owners site. However, we are now seriously considering the wisdom of selling as we watch the increasing global panic related to coronavirus around the globe. We miss our sailing days already, and so we are simply not negotiable right now and may still remove her from the market depending on how world affairs turn out. She is far too nice to take a huge loss on after all the investment in upgrades we have made if there remains a chance that we will sail again.

Glad to hear you guys are soon heading over the Pacific. Best wishes for that trip and we do hope to catch up again when you reach us here on the other side.

Best Regards

Colin & Lauren Streeter
SV Island Pearl II SM#332
Newport Marina, Brisbane, Australia



On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 1:25 PM Scott SV Tengah < Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Colin,

Good to hear from you! I guess you guys aren't selling Island Pearl II then? We are in San Blas now and planning to transit the canal and head to the Galapagos within a month. Slowly but surely making our way to your part of the world :)

Do you have any idea of the amp hours you're putting getting out of your solar/wind array? I am very jealous that you have that production capacity and I'd love to see numbers.

Since you're barely running the Victron 230v chargers, you don't have to worry about this, but others may want to think about it: lead batteries can only take full current at low SOC. I seem to recall around 65% SOC or so, the charging current tapers quite a bit. With LFP, the batteries will take full current up to 99% or so. That means your chargers are running at full capacity and generating lots of heat for longer periods. 

Related to that, if you haven't already, think about your 24v alternator and the regulator attached to it. I am not sure what alternator is fitted on the SM, but we have a Mastervolt 110amp which Mastervolt says is OK for the long periods of full current that LFP will require of your alternator. For good measure, I installed a temperature sensor that will instruct the Alpha Pro II regulator to taper output if the alternator gets too hot. Finally, make sure your alternator has a LFP charging profile and just as importantly, the Battery Management System (BMS) can shut down your alternator when there is an over voltage or over temperature condition in one of the cells. Note that you can have acceptable overall bank voltage but one of the 32 cells that will comprise your system may be over voltage. If your system doesn't stop charging, it could irreversibly damage that cell. 

Finally, keep in mind the Dolphin chargers don't have a LFP profile. At least the ones in the 54 did not. There's a 54 owner out there who installed 1200 (!!!!) AH of LFP and fried them in short order - I believe because he charged them using the wrong profile.

After your install, you will get a 25% boost from your already massive solar/wind array on charging because with LFP, you don't get the 25% charging inefficiency you get with lead. BTW - I've run the aft AC all night on battery/inverter and our 450 amp hour bank was more than enough.

Hope this helps.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

 

 



--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445



--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C Drive Photos

Craig & Katherine Briggs
 

Hi Mitchell,
I did leave the upper unit attached to the trumpet and lifted the whole assembly together. But if you can get a lifting line around the trumpet itself that may work just fine. I recall having to put a tremendous amount of tension on the lifting line with my winches and then tap with a hand sledge, kick it a bit with my foot and rotate it back and forth before it finally popped loose.

Did you find the lifting tang on the overhead above the c drive?  I didn't find that until after I had removed the unit and I think it would have made it much easier by giving a straight up pull.

On mine, the trumpet came out of the boot, but I may have left the lower clamps in place. Regardless, the boot should not give much resistance to the removal. It's where the trumpet mates into the hull with a couple of "O" rings that seemed to be the sticky bit.

By the way, I had removed the bolt holding the lower unit to the keel and wiggled the lower unit around to help release the drive shaft spline.

Good luck with it - hope this helps a bit,
Craig

Re: Maramu replacement autopilot drive motor

smiles bernard
 

Hi there

Our Maramu has a Raymarine type 2 with a hole cut into the door through which it protrudes.

It works well and looks ok

I find the noise of the autopilot rather tiresome though so use a Hydrovane when sailing.

All the best

Miles
 


Re: A55: fresh water pump system : Beam IV on passage from Bonaire towards Santa Marta / Carthagena

 

Stuart,

I gave you all of my ideas. Like I said before I don't think the accumulator tank pressure has anything to do with a continuous running pump. 


Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html


   


On Tue, Feb 25, 2020, 5:08 PM Stuart Hemingway <stuart@...> wrote:
Hello Joerg & Bill,

Who ever thought you’d need a bicycle pump on a boat , but you do!

We bought this fancy cycle pump in Bonaire ( the old fashion type would be better ) pumped up the accumulator and we have water!!

THANK YOU 

The pump is still running continuously though any ideas on that one?

Very best regards & thanks ..

Stuart

Stuart Hemingway AA Dipl DMS RIBA


Symbiotic Relationships Ltd.,


 Grove Park Studios,

188-192 Sutton court Road,

Chiswick,

London,

W4 3HR

 

Telephone

From the UK  :    001 561 371 2321

From the US  :    561 371 2321


E . Studio@...

W. www.groveparkstudios.co.uk.


On 25 Feb 2020, at 01:53, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

In my experience, there has to be nothing wrong to create this condition.   I’ve had this happen on my boat when I get back after many months away.  Or if the tank was run very low.   Pump up the tank and see whether it works.  Cheers. Joerg 

Joerg Esdorn
A55 #53 Kincsem
Vigo, Spain

Re: Headsets #solution

INUS - BUSCH
 

I have a pair of ceecoach since 3 years and they work perfect for me.

Maybe you have a look

https://www.peiker-cee.de/en

 

Fair winds

Dieter

Fal-lera Sharki #135

 

 

 

Von: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Teun BAAS
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2020 00:23
An: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Headsets #solution

 

Hi Kent,

 

I have 4 SENA units on board since 1 year; only used 2 or 3 of them. They work fine – no issues necessitating warranty claim.

Sure beats yelling from cockpit to stern or bow.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

 

Currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

February 26, 2020 16:22:30

 

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

 

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

 

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of karkauai via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 16:32
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Headsets #solution

 

Thank you Matt and David.  Your replies indicate the Sena is the best option out there but not without issues.  There are a number of other headsets used by motorcycle riders and police departments, but they require a helmet or separate radio and push-to-talk, and don't really suit our needs.  Too bad they don't have a good reputation for after-market service at that price.

I know a guy who might be in a position to build just what we need....

 

Kent

 

On Feb 24, 2020 3:56 PM, David Vogel <david.vogel@...> wrote:

Greetings all,

PERIGEE has used 2x Sena SPH10 for 3 years docking/anchoring and mast-work, all OK with the exception that the microphone occasionally disconnects, which CorrosionX sorts out.  We have used in ‘all weathers’, with no adverse effects noticeable thus far, but did take the precaution at 2-1/2 years to get another two headsets, for 3-crew work, and/or to provide redundancy in the eventual event that one (or more) units will fail in service (not just due to exposure to the elements, but batteries seem to be a point-of-failure in tropical environments; having needed to source two new hand-held VHFs recently highlighting this vulnerability in practical terms).

We consider the cost minor in the scheme of things, in order to have reliable and calm communications between helm and deck/masthead-crew.

We have not had any connection problems, although multi-headset set-ups (we have had up to four at once) does require a review of the user’s manual to make sure it works ‘as advertised’.  We recommend the Sena SPH10, and have not seen a viable alternative, but remain interested if someone does find one.

David
Perigee, SM#396
Tahuata, French Polynesia


From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...>
Reply-To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Monday, 24 February 2020 at 7:49 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Headsets #solution

Hi Amelians,
I want to replace some worn-out headsets we've used for anchoring and masthead work.  They were about $80 US 5 years ago and have been less than ideal since they were new, with static and cheap construction.  I've been looking online and the ones most cited on cruisers  forums are the Sena SPH10 or Sena Extreme Bluetooth sets.  They get great reviews for audio quality, but very poor reviews for warranty/after-market service/and user friendliness for getting them to connect. At $150 per headset, I'm reluctant to buy something that may not be what is advertised to be.

Does anyone have another  brand to recommend?  Experience with the Sena products?

Thanks for any help.
Kent and Iris
Kristy
SM243





 

Re: Carrying Tender on Davits while crossing

Germain Jean-Pierre
 

Hi M & A,

Their prices seem scary at first but if you divide by 2, you get about GBP pricing.

Cheers,



On 27 Feb 2020, at 18:41, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Thank J.P. All info helps. I’ll look into the OC.
 
Happy Sailing;
 
 
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
AMEL 54 #099
 
From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Germain Jean-Pierre via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 9:37 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Carrying Tender on Davits while crossing
 
Hello Mohammed & Any,
 
We’ve seen and rode in an OCT tender.  A very sound dinghy with many desirable features sailors appreciate.
 
We did a long comparative ride in varying sea state conditions; both had identical Yamaha 15 HP Enduro 2 stroke engines.  Our AB was faster if loaded with 2 adults but due to the high deadrise bottom, she did not plane with 4 people aboard.
 
The OCT is a bit slower but will plane with 4 due to its lesser hull deadrise. However, the AB could maintain a higher speed in rougher conditions.  The OCT rode well but had to slow down a bit.
 
Undoubtedly, the OCT was far dryer ride.  I have no anything with these people.  https://octenders.co.nz/
 
Hope this helps.
 
 
Jean-Pierre Germain
 
 


On 27 Feb 2020, at 18:17, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
 
 
 




Jean-Pierre Germain



Re: Carrying Tender on Davits while crossing

Mohammad Shirloo
 

Thank J.P. All info helps. I’ll look into the OC.

 

Happy Sailing;

 

 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Germain Jean-Pierre via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 9:37 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Carrying Tender on Davits while crossing

 

Hello Mohammed & Any,

 

We’ve seen and rode in an OCT tender.  A very sound dinghy with many desirable features sailors appreciate.

 

We did a long comparative ride in varying sea state conditions; both had identical Yamaha 15 HP Enduro 2 stroke engines.  Our AB was faster if loaded with 2 adults but due to the high deadrise bottom, she did not plane with 4 people aboard.

 

The OCT is a bit slower but will plane with 4 due to its lesser hull deadrise. However, the AB could maintain a higher speed in rougher conditions.  The OCT rode well but had to slow down a bit.

 

Undoubtedly, the OCT was far dryer ride.  I have no anything with these people.  https://octenders.co.nz/

 

Hope this helps.

 

 

Jean-Pierre Germain

 

 



On 27 Feb 2020, at 18:17, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

 

 

 

Re: Carrying Tender on Davits while crossing

Germain Jean-Pierre
 

Hello Mohammed & Any,

We’ve seen and rode in an OCT tender.  A very sound dinghy with many desirable features sailors appreciate.

We did a long comparative ride in varying sea state conditions; both had identical Yamaha 15 HP Enduro 2 stroke engines.  Our AB was faster if loaded with 2 adults but due to the high deadrise bottom, she did not plane with 4 people aboard.

The OCT is a bit slower but will plane with 4 due to its lesser hull deadrise. However, the AB could maintain a higher speed in rougher conditions.  The OCT rode well but had to slow down a bit.

Undoubtedly, the OCT was far dryer ride.  I have no anything with these people.  https://octenders.co.nz/

Hope this helps.


Jean-Pierre Germain



On 27 Feb 2020, at 18:17, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:



Re: Carrying Tender on Davits while crossing

Mohammad Shirloo
 

Hello Thomas;

 

Thanks for the info. Do you have Alex’s contact information? Do you know if he has the 310 or the 340?

 

Happy Sailing;

 

 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sv Garulfo via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 12:41 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Carrying Tender on Davits while crossing

 

Hi Aty and Mohammad,

 

I would recommend talking to Alex Ramseyer about his setup with an Highfield. It is long enough that he can fit it very securely under the Simpsons davits with the outboard on. I don’t know if it fits on the roof, though. But if it does, it would be a very good dinghy (as far as dimensions for a 54 is concerned) imho.

 

4. I’ve seen 50/60ft yachts fitted with Simpsons davits carrying console dinghies with 20hp 4stroke outboards crossing is he Pacific. If the dinghy tubes are well pressed against the davits, the freeboard is ample. I wouldn’t do that it myself but then I’m very risk averse.

 

Best,

 

Thomas

GARULFO 

A54-122

Hiva Oa, French Polynesia 

 

 

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 06:20, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Hi Aty & Mohammad,

 

I have experimented with several tenders (5 in total over 2 years) including 2 HIGHFIELDS and finally settled on a OCT (Offshore Cruising Tender – made in NEW ZEALAND) 350. Extremely happy with this tender. Very light (48 kg) – lighter than the HIGHFIELD(s); high freeboard – no water coming in at all. Besides fitting on the sundeck for limited time when making a really large crossing I have it in the davits. My main considerations were: A) No water coming in or wet butt when sitting on the side; B) Comfortable ride; C) Easy to handle when beached during low tide etc.

 

I might see you this week for coffee and we can discuss in detail.

 

Best Regards Teun

February 17, 2020 07:46:11

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mohammad Shirloo via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2020 16:55
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Carrying Tender on Davits while crossing

 

Hi all;

 

We are in the process of selecting a new tender. We are considering the Highfield CL310 or CL340. I would appreciate input on the following issues:

 

  1. Opinions on the Highfield line of tenders. Good or bad.
  2. The CL310 seems to be a bit short and the bow may not sit firmly on the Davit when pulled up. The CL340 works great but will be wider the transom creating issues in tight docking quarters. What is the shortest length used by A54 owners with success?
  3. Can some one provide a measurement from the back of the mizzenmast to the mizzen traveler? I’d like to see which tender would fit on the aft sundeck.
  4. Opinions on carrying the tender deflated, pulled up and firmly lashed to the Davits during crossings? I’m concerned about following seas and waves hitting the tender and placing a substantial force on the Davits.
  5. PVC or Hypalon? There is about a 2000 Euro upcharge for Hypalon.

 

Happy Sailing;

 

 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

 

Re: Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Colin.

Re the sale of Island Pearl. I am not surprised. I looked for any exuse not to sell Ocean Pearl. The reality is they are the most robust and easiest to sail boat available. (In my humble opinion) So unless you intend to totally swallow the anchor stay with Island Pearl. I was seriously considering a step up to the 54 but watching the posts on the forum my opinion that the SM was the ultimate off shore yacht for a couple became solidified. I see them as the culmination of Henri's lifes work.  So I stay where I am.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 27 February 2020 at 15:57 islandpearl2_sm2k332 <colin.d.streeter@...> wrote:

Hi Scott

Thanks again for the tips. The alternator will be my next step after some local testing yes. We are away from the boat down in Sydney for a week, but the Lithium install went perfectly on Tuesday, and Lauren and I are absolutely delighted!!! The 4 x 100amp 24v LifePO4 batteries fit in the 2001 SM 2000 battery compartment perfectly and we have lost at least 150kg of weight, yet to be measured...

Our 2001 SM 2000 has space for 8 house batteries plus start battery (not the enlarged 12 battery bank compartment as on later (2003+?) boats), so this awesome lithium setup would fit in even the very earliest SM's I suspect, and for the first time ever I am now pleased to have the smaller rather than the larger battery space.

Regarding the sale of our boat, we have Island Pearl II listed for sale but had not yet got around to putting her up for sale on the Amel Owners site. However, we are now seriously considering the wisdom of selling as we watch the increasing global panic related to coronavirus around the globe. We miss our sailing days already, and so we are simply not negotiable right now and may still remove her from the market depending on how world affairs turn out. She is far too nice to take a huge loss on after all the investment in upgrades we have made if there remains a chance that we will sail again.

Glad to hear you guys are soon heading over the Pacific. Best wishes for that trip and we do hope to catch up again when you reach us here on the other side.

Best Regards

Colin & Lauren Streeter
SV Island Pearl II SM#332
Newport Marina, Brisbane, Australia



On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 1:25 PM Scott SV Tengah < Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Colin,

Good to hear from you! I guess you guys aren't selling Island Pearl II then? We are in San Blas now and planning to transit the canal and head to the Galapagos within a month. Slowly but surely making our way to your part of the world :)

Do you have any idea of the amp hours you're putting getting out of your solar/wind array? I am very jealous that you have that production capacity and I'd love to see numbers.

Since you're barely running the Victron 230v chargers, you don't have to worry about this, but others may want to think about it: lead batteries can only take full current at low SOC. I seem to recall around 65% SOC or so, the charging current tapers quite a bit. With LFP, the batteries will take full current up to 99% or so. That means your chargers are running at full capacity and generating lots of heat for longer periods. 

Related to that, if you haven't already, think about your 24v alternator and the regulator attached to it. I am not sure what alternator is fitted on the SM, but we have a Mastervolt 110amp which Mastervolt says is OK for the long periods of full current that LFP will require of your alternator. For good measure, I installed a temperature sensor that will instruct the Alpha Pro II regulator to taper output if the alternator gets too hot. Finally, make sure your alternator has a LFP charging profile and just as importantly, the Battery Management System (BMS) can shut down your alternator when there is an over voltage or over temperature condition in one of the cells. Note that you can have acceptable overall bank voltage but one of the 32 cells that will comprise your system may be over voltage. If your system doesn't stop charging, it could irreversibly damage that cell. 

Finally, keep in mind the Dolphin chargers don't have a LFP profile. At least the ones in the 54 did not. There's a 54 owner out there who installed 1200 (!!!!) AH of LFP and fried them in short order - I believe because he charged them using the wrong profile.

After your install, you will get a 25% boost from your already massive solar/wind array on charging because with LFP, you don't get the 25% charging inefficiency you get with lead. BTW - I've run the aft AC all night on battery/inverter and our 450 amp hour bank was more than enough.

Hope this helps.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

 

 



--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Re: Flowjet refrigeration pumps overhaul

Porter McRoberts
 

What I didn’t make clear in previous text was that the 3x12.00$ pump relays effectively replaces the expensive and unreliable frigoboat pump controller. So a good, reliable and inexpensive option to have on hand. 
Porter
Ibis A54-152


On Feb 25, 2020, at 2:44 PM, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

On this issue.
Had a long conversation with Rob at Costal CLimate.  As usual, a very knowledgeable guy.
His thoughts.  Flojets are super reliable, AS long as they aren't drawing a lot of current, i.e. sucking hard against resistance, or pushing against resistance.

Often a change in pitch denotes strain, I’ve definitely been guilty of letting that go… and with in a short time, at least with my experience, the pump then fails, and off to either the junk yard, or later a take apart.  So now I’ll check amp meter if >1.2 amps check the flow and make sure the water paths are unobstructed. 

Also… they tell me the frigoboat pump controller is very unreliable, as we've noted on the forum.


and 2 24 v pumps as it would have to wired to the 24v bus.


Just some thoughts…

Porter

A54-152







On Feb 25, 2020, at 10:29 AM, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Thanks Jamie. Yes I have been following this thread about alternatives and wait in anticipation! I have not heard about anyone successfully refurbishing the flowjet.
 
Cheers,
Paul
S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada
 
From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jamie Wendell
Sent: 25 February 2020 09:48
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Flowjet refrigeration pumps overhaul
 
Paul, as you have probably read in another long thread about this very subject, you are not alone. Several of us are trying to come with a viable solution that we can all use to deal with these pumps.

Stay tuned if you can wait a bit. I have ordered some parts to construct a variable-speed drive brush-less motor as conceived by Oliver on Vela Nautica - waiting for the parts now. I have been in contact directly with him.

I will start a new thread if I am successful.
Jamie
Phantom A54 #44 


-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Re: Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)

islandpearl2_sm2k332
 

Hi Scott

Thanks again for the tips. The alternator will be my next step after some local testing yes. We are away from the boat down in Sydney for a week, but the Lithium install went perfectly on Tuesday, and Lauren and I are absolutely delighted!!! The 4 x 100amp 24v LifePO4 batteries fit in the 2001 SM 2000 battery compartment perfectly and we have lost at least 150kg of weight, yet to be measured...

Our 2001 SM 2000 has space for 8 house batteries plus start battery (not the enlarged 12 battery bank compartment as on later (2003+?) boats), so this awesome lithium setup would fit in even the very earliest SM's I suspect, and for the first time ever I am now pleased to have the smaller rather than the larger battery space.

Regarding the sale of our boat, we have Island Pearl II listed for sale but had not yet got around to putting her up for sale on the Amel Owners site. However, we are now seriously considering the wisdom of selling as we watch the increasing global panic related to coronavirus around the globe. We miss our sailing days already, and so we are simply not negotiable right now and may still remove her from the market depending on how world affairs turn out. She is far too nice to take a huge loss on after all the investment in upgrades we have made if there remains a chance that we will sail again.

Glad to hear you guys are soon heading over the Pacific. Best wishes for that trip and we do hope to catch up again when you reach us here on the other side.

Best Regards

Colin & Lauren Streeter
SV Island Pearl II SM#332
Newport Marina, Brisbane, Australia



On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 1:25 PM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Colin,

Good to hear from you! I guess you guys aren't selling Island Pearl II then? We are in San Blas now and planning to transit the canal and head to the Galapagos within a month. Slowly but surely making our way to your part of the world :)

Do you have any idea of the amp hours you're putting getting out of your solar/wind array? I am very jealous that you have that production capacity and I'd love to see numbers.

Since you're barely running the Victron 230v chargers, you don't have to worry about this, but others may want to think about it: lead batteries can only take full current at low SOC. I seem to recall around 65% SOC or so, the charging current tapers quite a bit. With LFP, the batteries will take full current up to 99% or so. That means your chargers are running at full capacity and generating lots of heat for longer periods. 

Related to that, if you haven't already, think about your 24v alternator and the regulator attached to it. I am not sure what alternator is fitted on the SM, but we have a Mastervolt 110amp which Mastervolt says is OK for the long periods of full current that LFP will require of your alternator. For good measure, I installed a temperature sensor that will instruct the Alpha Pro II regulator to taper output if the alternator gets too hot. Finally, make sure your alternator has a LFP charging profile and just as importantly, the Battery Management System (BMS) can shut down your alternator when there is an over voltage or over temperature condition in one of the cells. Note that you can have acceptable overall bank voltage but one of the 32 cells that will comprise your system may be over voltage. If your system doesn't stop charging, it could irreversibly damage that cell. 

Finally, keep in mind the Dolphin chargers don't have a LFP profile. At least the ones in the 54 did not. There's a 54 owner out there who installed 1200 (!!!!) AH of LFP and fried them in short order - I believe because he charged them using the wrong profile.

After your install, you will get a 25% boost from your already massive solar/wind array on charging because with LFP, you don't get the 25% charging inefficiency you get with lead. BTW - I've run the aft AC all night on battery/inverter and our 450 amp hour bank was more than enough.

Hope this helps.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com



--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Re: SM2000 - Have you replaced your dishwasher by a fridge/freezer? #galley

Dominique Guenot
 

This is great information and a good leg up
Thank you very much Paul, Danny and Bill 

Re: A55: fresh water pump system : Beam IV on passage from Bonaire towards Santa Marta / Carthagena

Paul Stascavage
 

Stuart.

Is the pressure good after pumping up the tank?

If so, it sounds to me like the next thing to check is the pressure switch. If it is adjusted incorrectly the pump will keep running as it is trying to reach a pressure to high for the pump to achieve.

Do like Bill said and google the instructions for the d square ( I believe) switch. It is not that difficult to properly adjust. If you read the instructions multiple times you should be able to do it. I think there are also some good YouTube videos on how to do it.

Good luck and report back.

All the Best,

Paul Stascavage
S/V Rita Kathryn SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

Currently Cruising Bahamas

Re: Flowjet refrigeration pumps overhaul

Teun BAAS
 

Same experience. Worked for a short while making me happy & proud and then quitting on me.

Endless story.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

 

Currently on the hard @ THE BOAT WORKS YARD in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

February 26, 2020 16:27:59

 

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

 

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 14:47
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Flowjet refrigeration pumps overhaul

 

Hi all,

 

I attempted to refurbish a flowjet pump today, by simply cleaning up the diaphragms, checking the brushes and emptying a lot of carbon dust out. It then worked for about an hour . I would be most grateful if someone who has had experience at this could share it with me as I now have enough of these pumps to start a second hand store!

 

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

 


--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Re: Headsets #solution

Teun BAAS
 

Hi Kent,

 

I have 4 SENA units on board since 1 year; only used 2 or 3 of them. They work fine – no issues necessitating warranty claim.

Sure beats yelling from cockpit to stern or bow.

 

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

 

Currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

February 26, 2020 16:22:30

 

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

 

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

 

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of karkauai via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 16:32
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Headsets #solution

 

Thank you Matt and David.  Your replies indicate the Sena is the best option out there but not without issues.  There are a number of other headsets used by motorcycle riders and police departments, but they require a helmet or separate radio and push-to-talk, and don't really suit our needs.  Too bad they don't have a good reputation for after-market service at that price.

I know a guy who might be in a position to build just what we need....

 

Kent

 

On Feb 24, 2020 3:56 PM, David Vogel <david.vogel@...> wrote:

Greetings all,

PERIGEE has used 2x Sena SPH10 for 3 years docking/anchoring and mast-work, all OK with the exception that the microphone occasionally disconnects, which CorrosionX sorts out.  We have used in ‘all weathers’, with no adverse effects noticeable thus far, but did take the precaution at 2-1/2 years to get another two headsets, for 3-crew work, and/or to provide redundancy in the eventual event that one (or more) units will fail in service (not just due to exposure to the elements, but batteries seem to be a point-of-failure in tropical environments; having needed to source two new hand-held VHFs recently highlighting this vulnerability in practical terms).

We consider the cost minor in the scheme of things, in order to have reliable and calm communications between helm and deck/masthead-crew.

We have not had any connection problems, although multi-headset set-ups (we have had up to four at once) does require a review of the user’s manual to make sure it works ‘as advertised’.  We recommend the Sena SPH10, and have not seen a viable alternative, but remain interested if someone does find one.

David
Perigee, SM#396
Tahuata, French Polynesia


From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...>
Reply-To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Monday, 24 February 2020 at 7:49 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Headsets #solution

Hi Amelians,
I want to replace some worn-out headsets we've used for anchoring and masthead work.  They were about $80 US 5 years ago and have been less than ideal since they were new, with static and cheap construction.  I've been looking online and the ones most cited on cruisers  forums are the Sena SPH10 or Sena Extreme Bluetooth sets.  They get great reviews for audio quality, but very poor reviews for warranty/after-market service/and user friendliness for getting them to connect. At $150 per headset, I'm reluctant to buy something that may not be what is advertised to be.

Does anyone have another  brand to recommend?  Experience with the Sena products?

Thanks for any help.
Kent and Iris
Kristy
SM243






 

Re: Rub Rail insert

Patrick McAneny
 

Karen , Maud sent me a drawing of the cross section ,but just looked at it, and its too crude ,not to scale. Perhaps if you pulled up the end of yours a couple inches and take a photo. If someone had a thin section ,that would be the best. Maybe a pencil tracing. Right now we need over 500 ft. and that could easily go to 1000 ft., I am sure.
Pat,
SM #123



-----Original Message-----
From: Karen Smith via Groups.Io <karenharmonie@...>
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Feb 26, 2020 4:40 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rub Rail insert

Hi Mark,

Pending pricing detail confirmation, we are very interested in the possibility of joining the rub rail order and shipment to the US East Coast!

Has anyone researched having a custom extrusion made for the rub rails locally? In quantity it should not be expensive.

Could someone who has the rub rail sectional drawing from Amel email it to me?

Bill will explore the custom extrusion possibility!

Thanks!

Karen Smith
s/v Harmonie SM#160






Re: Rub Rail insert

Karen Smith
 

Hi Mark,

Pending pricing detail confirmation, we are very interested in the possibility of joining the rub rail order and shipment to the US East Coast!

Has anyone researched having a custom extrusion made for the rub rails locally? In quantity it should not be expensive.

Could someone who has the rub rail sectional drawing from Amel email it to me?

Bill will explore the custom extrusion possibility!

Thanks!

Karen Smith
s/v Harmonie SM#160