Date   

Re: #attackedbywhales #newboat WE SOLD THE BOAT! Now what??? Sailing Ocean F... #attackedbywhales #newboat

Ann-Sofie, S/Y Lady Annila
 

I would recomend you to turn around and go back to Portimao, there is a lifting possibilities and good crafts men that can help you.
We have spent the last 4 winters on Rosa Cabral e Soares yard and we have contacts that can help you with the repair.

Let me know if you want further info.

Regards
Ann-Sofie & Jonas
S/Y Lady Annila
SM232, 1998
Present in La Linea, Spain.


Skickat från min iPhone

05/07/2021 kl. 17:14 skrev Stefan Jeukendrup <sjeukendrup@eegtech.com>:

Thanks for your answer,


Actually it was not frighting at all and we enjoyed this once in a lifetime close encounter.

The second hour we (= the orcas and the helmsman) "agreed" on a course of 280 and the group escorted us out of their territory.

I felt they where treating us gently and it is probably just one thart has the strange habit of biting off chunks of rudders....


Almost the same happened to the mentioned couple in Gibraltar.


All is good,


Stefan Jeukendrup

SM2k #348 @ currently at Cabo Vincente Portugal


Op 05-07-2021 om 15:59 schreef Justin Maguire:
This is. On the third Amel I know if that has had its rudders destroyed… WHAT THE HELL!?!!

I hope you are ok and we’re able to makekk no it to port safely. That sounds frightening… especially them “pushing the boat around”… 😳

Cheers,
-Justin
On Jul 5, 2021, at 10:50, Stefan Jeukendrup <sjeukendrup@eegtech.com> wrote:
Warning:


Yesterday on the 100m line between Barbate and de strait of Gibraltar we where targeted by 3 orcas and a young.

We spoke to another couple in Gibraltar that just experienced the same, they came from the Azores.


The group orcas entertained us for 2 hours by pushing the boat around in circles and at the same time they bit off the lower section of the rudder.

Rudder is still functional but anodes and the surounding fiberglass are gone.


Does anyone know wether it is possible to remove the rudder of a Supermaramu 2000 in the water?


Thank you in advance for your help,


Stefan Jeukendrup

SM2k #345 @Cabo Vincente Portugal













Re: Amel 54 Furlers

Arno Luijten
 

This is a complicated topic.
Basically the original furlers (MEJ1) were a bit light for the boat. Bamar sort of admitted to this by offering A54 owners a deal on replacing them with more beefy ones.
I took this offer in 2018 when I bought our A54,  although both existing furlers were still functional.
The original ones can last quite a long time but need much more maintenance then the new ones  (EJF1). The new ones are also stronger (more torque).
What I do not like about the old ones us that the main bearings are designed in a way that seawater can enter because of play on the system that the seals are not able to cover. Also the MEJ1 has a belt drive and the belt needs occasional replacement. The EJF1 has a planetary gear system that is build quite sturdy and the bearings are quite strong.
So when buying an Amel 54 your problem will be assessing the state of the furlers. Ideally by taking them apart.

The new EJF1 do have a problem as well as the anodizing of the casing at the bottom is affected by the chrome bottom cover.
Some A54 had the furlers replaced by Reckmann. I think that is the best choice however eye-watering expensive. But the build quality is excellent.

I paid about 15k Euro for the replacement EJF1s (keeping the original foils) plus 4k dollar installation and new stays. Expect double the amount for Reckmann.
All in all I'm very happy with the new furlers they are very strong and smooth. I just need to do touch-ups on the casing every now and then.
Mind you there is also an electronics box below deck that controls the motor of the furler. I have heard may of them failed (including the ones on our Amel).

Kind regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121


Re: #attackedbywhales #newboat WE SOLD THE BOAT! Now what??? Sailing Ocean F... #attackedbywhales #newboat

Stefan Jeukendrup
 

Thanks for your answer,


Actually it was not frighting at all and we enjoyed this once in a lifetime close encounter.

The second hour we (= the orcas and the helmsman) "agreed" on a course of 280 and the group escorted us out of their territory.

I felt they where treating us gently and it is probably just one thart has the strange habit of biting off chunks of rudders....


Almost the same happened to the mentioned couple in Gibraltar.


All is good,


Stefan Jeukendrup

SM2k #348 @ currently at Cabo Vincente Portugal


Op 05-07-2021 om 15:59 schreef Justin Maguire:

This is. On the third Amel I know if that has had its rudders destroyed… WHAT THE HELL!?!!

I hope you are ok and we’re able to makekk no it to port safely. That sounds frightening… especially them “pushing the boat around”… 😳

Cheers,
-Justin
On Jul 5, 2021, at 10:50, Stefan Jeukendrup <sjeukendrup@eegtech.com> wrote:

Warning:


Yesterday on the 100m line between Barbate and de strait of Gibraltar we where targeted by 3 orcas and a young.

We spoke to another couple in Gibraltar that just experienced the same, they came from the Azores.


The group orcas entertained us for 2 hours by pushing the boat around in circles and at the same time they bit off the lower section of the rudder.

Rudder is still functional but anodes and the surounding fiberglass are gone.


Does anyone know wether it is possible to remove the rudder of a Supermaramu 2000 in the water?


Thank you in advance for your help,


Stefan Jeukendrup

SM2k #345 @Cabo Vincente Portugal









Re: #attackedbywhales #newboat WE SOLD THE BOAT! Now what??? Sailing Ocean F... #attackedbywhales #newboat

Justin Maguire
 

This is. On the third Amel I know if that has had its rudders destroyed… WHAT THE HELL!?!!

I hope you are ok and we’re able to makekk no it to port safely. That sounds frightening… especially them “pushing the boat around”… 😳

Cheers,
-Justin

On Jul 5, 2021, at 10:50, Stefan Jeukendrup <sjeukendrup@eegtech.com> wrote:

Warning:


Yesterday on the 100m line between Barbate and de strait of Gibraltar we where targeted by 3 orcas and a young.

We spoke to another couple in Gibraltar that just experienced the same, they came from the Azores.


The group orcas entertained us for 2 hours by pushing the boat around in circles and at the same time they bit off the lower section of the rudder.

Rudder is still functional but anodes and the surounding fiberglass are gone.


Does anyone know wether it is possible to remove the rudder of a Supermaramu 2000 in the water?


Thank you in advance for your help,


Stefan Jeukendrup

SM2k #345 @Cabo Vincente Portugal








Re: #attackedbywhales #newboat WE SOLD THE BOAT! Now what??? Sailing Ocean F... #attackedbywhales #newboat

Stefan Jeukendrup
 

Warning:


Yesterday on the 100m line between Barbate and de strait of Gibraltar we where targeted by 3 orcas and a young.

We spoke to another couple in Gibraltar that just experienced the same, they came from the Azores.


The group orcas entertained us for 2 hours by pushing the boat around in circles and at the same time they bit off the lower section of the rudder.

Rudder is still functional but anodes and the surounding fiberglass are gone.


Does anyone know wether it is possible to remove the rudder of a Supermaramu 2000 in the water?


Thank you in advance for your help,


Stefan Jeukendrup

SM2k #345 @Cabo Vincente Portugal


Re: Shaftseal

Bill Kinney
 

When I was service manager for a fleet of fifty sailboats, they had a wide variety of different prop shaft seals.  My hands down favorite for mimimm maintenance, no water in the bilge, and minimal possibility of catastrophic failure, was always a standard stuffing box with "Dripless" TFE packing from Western Pacific.

Second choice was any of the lip seals.  A standard stuffing bow with flax packing was third.

The bottom of the list was any of the carbon face seals. Primarily because if they broke the boat flooded very quickly, and little--short of a travelift--could stop it.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA, USA


Amel 54 Furlers

Paul Harries
 

I have read a lot about problems with Bamar furlers on the A54. While looking at Amel 54s for sale the vast majority seem to have the original Bamar furlers. So to my questions; how often are these furlers problematic? How many of you have upgraded? What problems caused you to upgrade.

Thanks
--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer


Re: Cables to port saloon cabin light and to the light above the table SM 2000

Bill Kinney
 

Willem,

Our boat is significantly older than yours, so there might be differences.  Wiring was a one of the things that was significantly modernized over the course of the SM production run.

I can comment on the wires to the saloon's overhead light.  They run in a plastic tube that is buried in the balsa core of the deck.  The wires enter that tube in the forward head, near the bulkhead separating the head from the salon.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA, USA


Re: Shaftseal

Eric Freedman
 

Do you have a straight shaft on Act II?

If you are referring to a stuffing box. I used this stuffing box on my Tartan 37 . I put about 20,000 miles on it without any problems.

The nice feature is that it can be tightened with a big screwdriver and a hammer.

No wrench is needed.

 

https://www.spartanmarine.com/all-products/notched-stuffing-box-series

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of James Watkins via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2021 8:27 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Shaftseal

 

I have used the Tides “Strong Seal” and it has been quite good.  Only issue with the seals is to make sure they are properly installed.

 

Jim Watkins

Maramu 185

Act II

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Dirk Hazenoot Maramu Huli 171 via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 5, 2021 2:15 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Shaftseal

 

Hello Amel friends and girlfriends,

 

Our shaft seal needs to be replaced. Now there are several good shaft seals on the market, such as a PSS or a Volvo shaft seal. But what is the best for an Amel Maramu with 60 horse power? I would like to know which type of shaft seal you have had good experiences with. Thank you very much for your response.

 


Re: Shaftseal

James Watkins
 

I have used the Tides “Strong Seal” and it has been quite good.  Only issue with the seals is to make sure they are properly installed.

 

Jim Watkins

Maramu 185

Act II

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Dirk Hazenoot Maramu Huli 171 via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 5, 2021 2:15 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Shaftseal

 

Hello Amel friends and girlfriends,

 

Our shaft seal needs to be replaced. Now there are several good shaft seals on the market, such as a PSS or a Volvo shaft seal. But what is the best for an Amel Maramu with 60 horse power? I would like to know which type of shaft seal you have had good experiences with. Thank you very much for your response.

 


Shaftseal

Dirk Hazenoot Maramu Huli 171
 

Hello Amel friends and girlfriends,
 
Our shaft seal needs to be replaced. Now there are several good shaft seals on the market, such as a PSS or a Volvo shaft seal. But what is the best for an Amel Maramu with 60 horse power? I would like to know which type of shaft seal you have had good experiences with. Thank you very much for your response.


Cables to port saloon cabin light and to the light above the table SM 2000

Willem Kroes
 

Hello Amelians,

Does anyone know where the cables run for the small port cabin light and for the light above the table?

Both cabin lights stopped working (the same time) and the connecting cables are without electricity. Behind the 24 V panel the group fuse is ok and has power. The fitters from the Manoel Island Yacht Yard on Malta can't find it and asked me where the cables for those lights run. So, I hope somebody can help me out with this.

Willem Kroes

SY Kavanga, SM 2K #351


Re: A54 Refrigeration Water Pump - Brushless Motor Update

Alain Durante
 

Bonjour Jamie,

 

I was also thinking to change the pump of the refrigeration system on my 54.

 

You will be so kind to send information on what you did.

 

You can contact me at infor@...

 

Wishing you a beautiful day.

 

Cordialement,

 

Alain Durante

SY Meige – A54#21

 

 

De : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> De la part de Jamie Wendell via groups.io
Envoyé : dimanche 4 juillet 2021 18:09
À : main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Objet : [AmelYachtOwners] A54 Refrigeration Water Pump - Brushless Motor Update

 

I just wanted to let the Amel group know that I have been successful in installing a fully operational brushless motor to power my A54 refrigeration system. I understand there were previous discussions on this subject that went on and on without any final resolution or workable solution - more or less shrouded in mystery and frustration - so I will not dwell on any of the issues raised and discussed in those threads. Suffice to say that I was having enormous problems with the standard Flowjet pumps used in the system and was determined to adapt a brushless motor to the original pump body - ditching the regular motor provided.

Simply put, I would be happy to share my solution with anyone interested, either in this group or by private off-line email. I can provide a list of parts needed, etc.

I will, however, offer the caveat that installing a brushless DC motor for the refrigeration system is not for the faint of heart, and it is a bit expensive (although part of my expense was essentially research and development if you will). But compared to the countless Frigoboat pumps I have chewed through over the years and lost food in the freezer, it was worth it to me. I have a display that shows runtime and the number of pump starts, and I can adjust the speed of the pump at any time. So far it has performed flawlessly.

Unfortunately, I did have to replace the original Frigoboat Pump Interface. The one I had was giving me erratic pump output voltages, the plastic case was falling apart, and corrosion was getting into the circuit board. I used the relay approach that Coastal Climate Controls recommended.

Again, if anyone would like to hear what I did and perhaps attempt a similar installation, I will be more than happy to help,
Thanks,
Jamie
Phantom, A54 #44


locked Re: Amel Yacht Owners Group

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 


Hi all, 

As one of the moderators for the forum I offer my view regarding the rule about negative comments. "Without the ability of the other  to respond" is the critical phrase. There are always two sides to any debate. There are people who have good experiences with a contractor while  others have the reverse with the same company. Yet this is the same firm. Like it or not we as owners can at times be less than perfect. Actually some of us at times can be downright difficult to deal with. Fact of life. Hence the rule. I am not saying bad experiences are our own fault, of course not but there are two sides and to only hear one is unfair. But then to try and have the forum litigate disputes between owners and contractors would be utterly  destructive.

So I think there are very good reasons for the rule and we need to follow it.

We can still provide helpful advice by recommending places we have had good service from.

Likewise I have been disappointed with the negative stuff directed at Bill.

Easy target as he rides the flow from a group of over a thousand fiercely independant individuals and works to give us the most positive forum there is out there. Not easy.

So folks, take care. We have something none of us want to lose.

Danny Simms

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Mangonui

New Zealand

04 July 2021 at 20:37 Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I like the Amel Forum, and have been very happy to be a member.  But, I still believe that just about everything we write on this forum, is opinion.   Even the installation procedure of the BT Seals, seems to be opinion.  

I would like clarification on a few statements:
1. However, for as long as "I" own it, "our" group will not be the place to post these issues.  
2. Bill leads the idea of independence in thought and experience.

The first statement bags the question, WHO does own this group?   Bill has done a great job bringing the Amel owners together, and the group is a place where the owners collectively share ideas, trade experiences, and yes, share opinion.  The group COLLECTIVELY answers questions, and is a cool place to get information about our Amels, but the Amel Forum is not just One person.

A while ago I saw that a member asked the question, " Does anyone know a good marina around xxxxxx?".   After a question like that, the author is looking for opinion, and depending on who responds, the author can decide on how to use the response.   Let's say,  there is a rule ....  No member of the Amel Owners Group can write anything negative about a marina...  Members would be able to respond with only positive opinions about a marina,  and all negative responses will be discouraged and removed.  No one wants to be part of a group that bickers about this or that, but if the Amel Forum is a place to write positive opinions about a marina (or Supplier), then it must be a place to write negative responses.   

Let's say that 10 Amel owners have berthed at a marina, and were all overcharged for electricity, and then had to pay inflated bills.  The 10 owners are not able to write anything about the marina on the Amel Forum because they have nothing good to say, but Captan Joe has 900AH at 24V of LiFePO4 had wonderful things to say about the the marina because he didn't have to plug into shore power...  And, maybe Captain Joe also gets a 5% commission on every Amel that berths at the marina.   So, of coarse, Captain Joe sez wonderful things about the marina, and more Amel owners will go to the marina and have to pay inflated bills.  Does anything seem wrong with this?

Regarding contractors - 

I have QSails on Aquarius.  I am VERY happy with my sails, and have nothing but good things to say about the support I received from QSails.  On my YouTube channel I always say good things about my sails, all produced by QSails...  I have NEVER received any financial gain from QSails, and I paid full price for EVERYTHING I bought/received from QSails.  I promote products that in my opinion are just "Dam Good" products!  If a member wrote anything bad about QSails, I would definitely want to know what's up.  But, nothing bad can be written on the Forum.  Especially regarding a company that potentially has financial ties to the Forum "Owner".   All that said, if I had to buy another Sail, right now, I would call QSails!  

Aquarius caught fire last week.  Yes, she could have burned to the ground.  This is no joke.  Some of you might smile, because if you have a YouTube channel, you know just how many HATTERS there are out there.  The following 24 hours was spent searching for the exact spot where that fire started.  I got exactly 2 hours of sleep that night because I was leave Thailand in 3 days.  I found the electrical connection where the fire started, and this connection was changed by an American Dude at the North end of Phuket one year ago.  The work completed by this guy/company was, in my opinion crap, and in my opinion created the problem that lead to a fire on Aquarius.  Almost everything he touched, except for the questionable connection was subsaquently changed by another electrician hired to clean up the previous electricians mess.   But, I should not warn the rest of the of the Forum about this guy, because we can't say anything negative about contractors.  But, he can sit on Aquarius explain how all the Thai's are all stupid, showing me how his Thai worker ruined a tool he used that day working on Aquarius.  I just asked him ....  If he is so stupid, what the XXXX is he doing on My Boat?

I also discussed my opinion of this electrical contractor with another Amel 54 owner that had work done by him.  That A54 owner confirmed my opinion of his services.

I am not sorry that my opinions are in opposition to the "Owner."  And, as a member, I would like the following rule change.   

1.  If a member writes a good comment or promotes a product or service, all financial ties should also be reviled.
2.  As long as a negative comment is in good taste, and not a personal attack, the negative comment should be tolerated.  If a member continually makes negative or makes personal attacks, the member may be removed from the Forum.  (Like I may be for these statements)

If, because I disagree with the "Owner", I am removed, so be it.

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K#262


locked Re: Amel Yacht Owners Group

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Bill. As a 12 year veteran of this forum and one of the moderators I say you are doing a remarkable job and I have enormous respect for you

 You have my full support.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 July 2021 at 05:14 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

All concerned,

Because I do not want to see this group morph into the kind of group that is full of more drama than data, I answered Ken's posting privately because my answer included some personal information. 

However, I am honor-bound to respond publicly to the following statement since it was made in a public forum: 
Ken said, "Especially regarding a company that has financial ties to the Forum Owner."
I respect Ken and assume that he has been told something very untrue by someone. His statement saddens me very much. I take it personally as an affront to my ethics and honor. 

My response is that I have never requested or received any personal gain, reward, commission, or anything else from any vendor or anyone with regard to anything I do with the Amel Yacht Owners Group or with my clients and the Amel Owners Yacht School. I do not exchange favors of any sort with any vendor or anyone. I pride myself as an independent 3rd party in my relations with my clients and preferred vendors. 

Let's not continue this Topic thread.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
 
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
 
View My Training Calendar


On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 3:37 AM Ken Powers SV Aquarius < ken@...> wrote:
I like the Amel Forum, and have been very happy to be a member.  But, I still believe that just about everything we write on this forum, is opinion.   Even the installation procedure of the BT Seals, seems to be opinion.  

I would like clarification on a few statements:
1. However, for as long as "I" own it, "our" group will not be the place to post these issues.  
2. Bill leads the idea of independence in thought and experience.

The first statement bags the question, WHO does own this group?   Bill has done a great job bringing the Amel owners together, and the group is a place where the owners collectively share ideas, trade experiences, and yes, share opinion.  The group COLLECTIVELY answers questions, and is a cool place to get information about our Amels, but the Amel Forum is not just One person.

A while ago I saw that a member asked the question, " Does anyone know a good marina around xxxxxx?".   After a question like that, the author is looking for opinion, and depending on who responds, the author can decide on how to use the response.   Let's say,  there is a rule ....  No member of the Amel Owners Group can write anything negative about a marina...  Members would be able to respond with only positive opinions about a marina,  and all negative responses will be discouraged and removed.  No one wants to be part of a group that bickers about this or that, but if the Amel Forum is a place to write positive opinions about a marina (or Supplier), then it must be a place to write negative responses.   

Let's say that 10 Amel owners have berthed at a marina, and were all overcharged for electricity, and then had to pay inflated bills.  The 10 owners are not able to write anything about the marina on the Amel Forum because they have nothing good to say, but Captan Joe has 900AH at 24V of LiFePO4 had wonderful things to say about the the marina because he didn't have to plug into shore power...  And, maybe Captain Joe also gets a 5% commission on every Amel that berths at the marina.   So, of coarse, Captain Joe sez wonderful things about the marina, and more Amel owners will go to the marina and have to pay inflated bills.  Does anything seem wrong with this?

Regarding contractors - 

I have QSails on Aquarius.  I am VERY happy with my sails, and have nothing but good things to say about the support I received from QSails.  On my YouTube channel I always say good things about my sails, all produced by QSails...  I have NEVER received any financial gain from QSails, and I paid full price for EVERYTHING I bought/received from QSails.  I promote products that in my opinion are just "Dam Good" products!  If a member wrote anything bad about QSails, I would definitely want to know what's up.  But, nothing bad can be written on the Forum.  Especially regarding a company that has financial ties to the Forum "Owner".   All that said, if I had to buy another Sail, right now, I would call QSails!  

Aquarius caught fire last week.  Yes, she could have burned to the ground.  This is no joke.  Some of you might smile, because if you have a YouTube channel, you know just how many HATTERS there are out there.  The following 24 hours was spent searching for the exact spot where that fire started.  I got exactly 2 hours of sleep that night because I was leave Thailand in 3 days.  I found the electrical connection where the fire started, and this connection was changed by an American Dude at the North end of Phuket one year ago.  The work completed by this guy/company was, in my opinion crap, and in my opinion created the problem that lead to a fire on Aquarius.  Almost everything he touched, except for the questionable connection was subsaquently changed by another electrician hired to clean up the previous electricians mess.   But, I should not warn the rest of the of the Forum about this guy, because we can't say anything negative about contractors.  But, he can sit on Aquarius explain how all the Thai's are all stupid, showing me how his Thai worker ruined a tool he used that day working on Aquarius.  I just asked him ....  If he is so stupid, what the XXXX is he doing on My Boat?

I also discussed my opinion of this electrical contractor with another Amel 54 owner that had work done by him.  That A54 owner confirmed my opinion of his services.

I am not sorry that my opinions are in opposition to the "Owner."  And, as a member, I would like the following rule change.   

1.  If a member writes a good comment or promotes a product or service, all financial ties should also be reviled.
2.  As long as a negative comment is in good taste, and not a personal attack, the negative comment should be tolerated.  If a member continually makes negative or makes personal attacks, the member may be removed from the Forum.  (Like I may be for these statements)

If, because I disagree with the "Owner", I am removed, so be it.

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K#262



 

 


locked Re: Amel Yacht Owners Group

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Right with you on that Porter

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 July 2021 at 05:33 "Porter McRoberts via groups.io" <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

Ken. 

Just so we’re clear: Bill Rouse receives no financial remuneration from vendor recommendations. 

The fact that he picks up the phone when I call him at odd hours from all over the world, takes the enormous amount of time to respond to me and others, and fights for Amel owners all without a ny financial gain other than the small retainer I sent him years ago sets him quite apart from most in the industry.  

I see him as about non-biased, yet enthusiastic as a person can get. 

Like you, I think honest reports are invaluable, and especially when coupled with emotionless facts. “Non-endorsements” are valuable, and perhaps more so than endorsements, but of course without the drivel that clouds the scenario. To that end, Bill does a remarkable job of keeping this forum right on track.  (go visit a Leopard forum for example, it’s like the Wild West.)

To be clear: He owns the forum because he foots the bill. Someone has to. 

Bill’s remarkable “product” is his fealty to solid information, and that only. He’s never sold sailors to vendors. 

Hope to share a beer with you someday, you’re a bit ahead of us geographically. Until then, cheers. 

Porter McRoberts 
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Jul 5, 2021, at 4:37 AM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Ken,
Absolutely agree with you, booth good nd bad experiences are valuable to communicate.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 on route to Porto Santo, Madeira 


 


 


locked Re: Amel Yacht Owners Group

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Well said.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 July 2021 at 07:11 Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Kirstin and I have been active in this group for over 12 years. I'd say when we joined, there were 10-15 "old salts" answering most of the questions. There was ego, occasional drama, etc but by and large you could find the answer to your question. This incarnation of the forum is immeasurably better in that there is more information that is easier to access. It's a bit more "unipolar" in terms of where info comes from, without a doubt.

The important thing to us is transparency. Bill operates the site and has an Amel focused advisory business. The rules of the site are on the home page for everyone to see. Do we agree with these rules or this.arrangement ? Not important. So long as we know that the forum operates in this way, we can use it effectively. 

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Bora Bora


locked Re: Amel Yacht Owners Group

Thomas Kleman
 

Kirstin and I have been active in this group for over 12 years. I'd say when we joined, there were 10-15 "old salts" answering most of the questions. There was ego, occasional drama, etc but by and large you could find the answer to your question. This incarnation of the forum is immeasurably better in that there is more information that is easier to access. It's a bit more "unipolar" in terms of where info comes from, without a doubt.

The important thing to us is transparency. Bill operates the site and has an Amel focused advisory business. The rules of the site are on the home page for everyone to see. Do we agree with these rules or this.arrangement ? Not important. So long as we know that the forum operates in this way, we can use it effectively. 

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Bora Bora


Re: Air Conditioning issues

Gary Wells
 

I know we are discussing completely different boats here, but on Adagio (SM209) a few years back I had a terrible time finding and solving an intermittent fault in our Climma system.  I am not sure exactly which units the A55 might have on board, but if the breaker will not reset (in our case is was the Main Breaker for the whole boat) it is likely due to a ground fault that allows one (most likely the neutral) side of the power circuit to bridge to ground.  It doesn't take much at all to trip those current sensing breakers (again, in our case .05A) so it could be anywhere along the system pathway.  The ultimate cause was a blockage in the condensate water pathway which caused the drip-tray to fill up and water to touch the connector to the heater coil (remember that SM folks! FWD AC tubing needs to be kept cleared :) )

If I were to start troubleshooting again, I'd first try to isolate which of the units is faulting (do A55s have three as in SMs?).  This would mean disconnecting shore power and then un-wiring (I presume there must be a connector/clip going to the units) all of them to prove that the fault is indeed in one of them. If you can isolate which unit is causing the fault it makes it a lot easier to press on.

 

I'm not going to venture any further suggestions as I simply don't know the 55.

 

Good luck!

 

Gary W.
Former SM209, Adagio
Land-lubber in Arizona.


locked Re: Amel Yacht Owners Group

 

One last thought that may help everyone with an unsatisfactory situation. Many of you may not know that a company I owned in 1995 invented the Online Dispute Resolution and Praise processes that are used today, in part, by Google, Amazon, PayPal, Yelp, and others. I am intimately familiar with these situations.

There are companies such as Yelp and Google that are better equipped than our group to handle Complaints or Praise. I urge you to use those.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 12:33 PM Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ken. 

Just so we’re clear: Bill Rouse receives no financial remuneration from vendor recommendations. 

The fact that he picks up the phone when I call him at odd hours from all over the world, takes the enormous amount of time to respond to me and others, and fights for Amel owners all without any financial gain other than the small retainer I sent him years ago sets him quite apart from most in the industry.  

I see him as about non-biased, yet enthusiastic as a person can get. 

Like you, I think honest reports are invaluable, and especially when coupled with emotionless facts. “Non-endorsements” are valuable, and perhaps more so than endorsements, but of course without the drivel that clouds the scenario. To that end, Bill does a remarkable job of keeping this forum right on track.  (go visit a Leopard forum for example, it’s like the Wild West.)

To be clear: He owns the forum because he foots the bill. Someone has to. 

Bill’s remarkable “product” is his fealty to solid information, and that only. He’s never sold sailors to vendors. 

Hope to share a beer with you someday, you’re a bit ahead of us geographically. Until then, cheers. 

Porter McRoberts 
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206

On Jul 5, 2021, at 4:37 AM, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Ken,
Absolutely agree with you, booth good nd bad experiences are valuable to communicate.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259 on route to Porto Santo, Madeira 

1801 - 1820 of 60612