Date   

Re: Qsails

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl
 

We could not speak highly enough about Q Sails and Rizza's efforts to help us too. After ordering at Bill's membership special prices, they supplied us with a perfectly fitting complete new set of sails for our SM2K, and with good follow-up/customer care to get them to us in Fiji by working with a good Fiji yachting supply import agent. He was in constant contact with us via email to our Iridium Go and delivered the sails in the correct week all the way to our waiting dinghy on the beach at the Voli Voli resort at the top of the main Island. We ordered them whilst in Tahiti, and he did all the research in terms of the quickest, most cost-effective, and most reliable places to deliver them to us between FP, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu, and New Caledonia. The sails were of the highest quality in the latest Amel colors at the time, and we were delighted with every aspect of fit, improved performance, and quality.  I guess things have changed for him now with COVID and raw material supply issues, but for us, Rizza and both his QSails and Engineering business did an amazing job on both the sails and also the beautiful Davits which were delivered into Brisbane just ahead of our circumnavigation departure. 
Colin & Lauren
ex SV Island Pearl II
Brisbane

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 4:28 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
By my calculations, QSails has delivered sails to over 100 Amel owners, with only 1 complaint about the quality. QSails saved each owner a substantial amount. They never had any significant delivery problems until COVID and many of those problems were caused by issues external to QSails. I know of many unrealistic delivery requests that QSails filled for owners prior to COVID. QSails was blamed for non-delivery when UPS and FedEx lost sails. QSails were blamed when a customer found that he had signed for 2 boxes, but only received 1 box from FedEx. During this period QSails were unable to adequately answer customer inquiries. They lost a key employee to COVID. And, culturally most Turkish people tell you what you want to hear, then try to do what they have said. If you have visited Turkey, you probably know this. I only write this to put things in perspective. There is no excuse for how QSails handled customer queries, but again, there is a cultural problem.

Normally I would either delete, moderate, or lock a thread like this because it is opposed to our posting rules. I am going to let it run a little longer before locking it.

Our posting guidelines:
We encourage postings that will genuinely help Amel owners source needed parts and services. We encourage you to support the Amel brand and be respectful to the brand in your postings. 
  1. Please do not post anything that could be considered offensive or derogatory regarding Amel, any Member, or Sponsor.
  2. Please refrain from political issues and rude, or inappropriate language.
  3. Please refrain from criticism of persons or businesses in which you may have experienced unsatisfactory results, because it would be one-sided, without the ability of the other side to respond.
We encourage members to register with their given names rather than aliases, and members who currently own an Amel to sign postings with their given name, boat name, Amel model, and hull number. 


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 12:00 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

I ordered three sails and a mizzen ballooner sock from Q-Sails about a year ago. They shipped to Tahiti but were delayed due to the ineptness of UPS who insisted on sending everything to New Zealand where the borders were closed - duh!. No flights from there to Tahiti for months. UPS went dark and unresponsive. They eventually put the sails on a ship. They arrived after about 3 months. So much to Express Air.

During this time I was in contact with Q-Sails who hounded their UPS representative for information regarding the shipment. They updated me weekly. I was very happy for the communications and the quality of the product.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

 



--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445


Re: File /Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf uploaded #file-notice

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

I agree completely with Alan on this. Very simple, very effective
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 20/04/2022 01:06 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:


A photo of what Alan describes might help:
image.png



CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 3:58 AM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Having just replaced the membranes in our Dessalator 60 Duo, I would say the advice to use pliers / pipe wrench to remove the end caps is rather brutal and unnecessary.
Some years ago it was posted by (Ian?) to use webbing and a large hoseclamp :

Take one jubilee clip (worm clamp) and a short length of webbing and trap the two ends of the webbing between the jubilee clip and the endcap to make a loop.  Sitting in the cockpit, .....  put the loop over one of the cleats on

the mizzen mast , hold the black tube with two hands and gently pull
 I did exactly that and it works a treat - easy, you don't even have to pull very hard if you twist it slightly, the end caps just pop out.

I did the whole job in about an hour, from removal to refitting.

AND I got some of those JIC seals mentioned in another post for the high pressure fittings, cleaned and reassembled the fittings with the seals, tightened as per Bill Rouse spec (1/4 turn), and magic, no leaks at all.

Easy!

Thanks to all who post on this forum...it's the additive detail that makes for good results!

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437...alive and well in Opua!




Re: Qsails

 

By my calculations, QSails has delivered sails to over 100 Amel owners, with only 1 complaint about the quality. QSails saved each owner a substantial amount. They never had any significant delivery problems until COVID and many of those problems were caused by issues external to QSails. I know of many unrealistic delivery requests that QSails filled for owners prior to COVID. QSails was blamed for non-delivery when UPS and FedEx lost sails. QSails were blamed when a customer found that he had signed for 2 boxes, but only received 1 box from FedEx. During this period QSails were unable to adequately answer customer inquiries. They lost a key employee to COVID. And, culturally most Turkish people tell you what you want to hear, then try to do what they have said. If you have visited Turkey, you probably know this. I only write this to put things in perspective. There is no excuse for how QSails handled customer queries, but again, there is a cultural problem.

Normally I would either delete, moderate, or lock a thread like this because it is opposed to our posting rules. I am going to let it run a little longer before locking it.

Our posting guidelines:
We encourage postings that will genuinely help Amel owners source needed parts and services. We encourage you to support the Amel brand and be respectful to the brand in your postings. 
  1. Please do not post anything that could be considered offensive or derogatory regarding Amel, any Member, or Sponsor.
  2. Please refrain from political issues and rude, or inappropriate language.
  3. Please refrain from criticism of persons or businesses in which you may have experienced unsatisfactory results, because it would be one-sided, without the ability of the other side to respond.
We encourage members to register with their given names rather than aliases, and members who currently own an Amel to sign postings with their given name, boat name, Amel model, and hull number. 


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 12:00 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

I ordered three sails and a mizzen ballooner sock from Q-Sails about a year ago. They shipped to Tahiti but were delayed due to the ineptness of UPS who insisted on sending everything to New Zealand where the borders were closed - duh!. No flights from there to Tahiti for months. UPS went dark and unresponsive. They eventually put the sails on a ship. They arrived after about 3 months. So much to Express Air.

During this time I was in contact with Q-Sails who hounded their UPS representative for information regarding the shipment. They updated me weekly. I was very happy for the communications and the quality of the product.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

 


Re: Qsails

Mark Erdos
 


I ordered three sails and a mizzen ballooner sock from Q-Sails about a year ago. They shipped to Tahiti but were delayed due to the ineptness of UPS who insisted on sending everything to New Zealand where the borders were closed - duh!. No flights from there to Tahiti for months. UPS went dark and unresponsive. They eventually put the sails on a ship. They arrived after about 3 months. So much to Express Air.

During this time I was in contact with Q-Sails who hounded their UPS representative for information regarding the shipment. They updated me weekly. I was very happy for the communications and the quality of the product.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

 


Furuno FA50 Software Update - You may no longer be able to Silence your AIS

Dean Gillies
 

For all owners with the Furuno FA-50 AIS.

This is a summary of my discussions and testing carried out with Furuno (UK) on 19th April 2022.

At the beginning of 2022 all FA50 AIS units stopped working due to a counter rollover problem associated with the GPS processing. Furuno issued a software update (0550233) which solved the GPS rollover problem. Many owners have already installed this update.

The software update also disabled the ability for the FA50 to silence its own transmissions from the user-interface and mandated the use of a hardwired switch which is to be connected by the user to the wires provided in the FA50 for this purpose.

The Furuno staff who created the software update to fix the GPS problem did not realise that the earlier production versions of the FA50 did not have the necessary wiring in the units to enable the user to connect a hardwired switch. They thought that every owner could connect a switch.

However, FA50 units with serial numbers up until 3559-1475 contain a main board with build number 05P0814. These units do not contain any internal wiring to allow the hard-wired switch to be connected. If you have one of these units then, after you upgrade to fix the GPS problem (which you must do), you will completely lose the ability to silence your FA50.

If you have a serial number higher than 3559-1475, then you should have a main board (05P0814A) which provides the wiring to allow you to connect a hard-wired switch. After you have updated the software to fix the GPS rollover problem, you will no longer be able to silence transmissions from the user interface, however you will be able to connect a hardwired switch to enable transmissions to be silenced.

Furthermore, Furuno (UK) indicated that if your FA50 has the newer serial number you can recover the ability to control the silence function from software by setting a DIP switch on the main board. This requires some disassembly of the unit, and it is not recommended by Furuno(UK). They recommend you use a hard-wired toggle switch for the silencing function.

If, like me, you have a serial number which is lower than 3559-1475 then Furuno(UK) simply ask that you buy a new AIS, the FA-70 is the one they recommend. They (and I) have no idea if the older Furuno MFD/TZT systems will work seamlessly with the FA70.

I hope this helps others who may be confused by what Furuno have done.

Dean
SV STELLA
A54-154


Re: File /Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf uploaded #file-notice

rossirossix4
 

This seems like a good place to post this.  I was impressed with one of  Riza's Emek Marine techs who did our membrane replacement while instructing us on the steps.  At one point he actually crawled in and around and behind the board that the battery chargers are mounted on to easily access the membrane frame from the rear.  Might be helpful to someone. Wish I'd snapped a pic. 

Bob and Suzanne     KAIMI SM 429


Re: Qsails

Richard Dallett
 

I ordered a full set of Hydranet radial sails from Incidence in November that are being delivered this Week via DHL. They were delayed by backlogs from Hydranet, but Thierry at Incidence stayed in communication and was very straightforward about the situation.

 

Richard Dallett

Mamba A54/68

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Porter McRoberts via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2022 9:10 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Qsails

 

Again. A precovid vote for Q sails.

A bit later than expected but great hydranet sails at a great price. Occasionally a stutter in communication. Mizzen, Genoa and a light weight asym. Very happy after  at least 10k miles. 

I do recommend you measure and send the measurements precisely. We’re a bit too yankeed on the Genoa. But I didn’t measure. Still quite happy. 

Porter McRoberts 

S/V IBIS A54-152

WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206



On Apr 19, 2022, at 5:18 PM, Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:

I had good responses from them last year during lockdown. The sails turned up a bit later than predicted because of supply issues. They sorted out import issues with FedEx which held deliveries up at the port in UK. Unfortunately the sails arrived after I set of for the summer so they will be tested once my masts are back up and the boat is launched.
Just thought I’d give a positive viewpoint. It may be that it is company struggling to survive. Another casualty of COVID??

Ian





Re: Qsails

Craig Briggs
 

Barry & Penny,
I had UK Sailmakers in Turkey make a new main for us. Can't say enough about their rep, Hulkie Oruz (spelling?). He's a seasoned sailor (international judge etc.) who really knows his stuff, speaks perfect English and is most accommodating. I recall the turnaround was literally one week after I gave him my old sail and the price was far lower than I expected. Hulkie personally delivered it to us in Didim and made sure it fit right. It's been about 8 years now and the sail is still in great shape (it was a straight cut dacron construction, but get what you wish, of course). 
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL


Re: Qsails

Barry Connor
 

Hi All,
Just an update. We still have not received our full refund from QSails. My Visa credit card company are handling this now.
I would recommend that if anyone has to send any money to QSails you do not do a bank transfer but only pay with a credit card.
I recently spoke to SM owner Nick on Raschal who says he paid over a year ago by bank transfer and is still waiting for his order to be completed. He says that he should have used a credit card.
I checked with other sail makers who confirm that they have Hydra-Net and I have received quotes for a new Hydra-Net Genoa. One of the quotes is from “UK Sailmakers” in Turkey who say that they have Hydra-Net in stock. I can’t say what they commented regarding QSails.
All I can say is cover yourself when buying.
Very Best 

Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
Amel 54.  #17
Rodney Bay 
St Lucia 



On Apr 19, 2022, at 9:12 AM, Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

Again. A precovid vote for Q sails.
A bit later than expected but great hydranet sails at a great price. Occasionally a stutter in communication. Mizzen, Genoa and a light weight asym. Very happy after  at least 10k miles. 
I do recommend you measure and send the measurements precisely. We’re a bit too yankeed on the Genoa. But I didn’t measure. Still quite happy. 

Porter McRoberts 
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Apr 19, 2022, at 5:18 PM, Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:

I had good responses from them last year during lockdown. The sails turned up a bit later than predicted because of supply issues. They sorted out import issues with FedEx which held deliveries up at the port in UK. Unfortunately the sails arrived after I set of for the summer so they will be tested once my masts are back up and the boat is launched.
Just thought I’d give a positive viewpoint. It may be that it is company struggling to survive. Another casualty of COVID??

Ian






Re: Qsails

Porter McRoberts
 

Again. A precovid vote for Q sails.
A bit later than expected but great hydranet sails at a great price. Occasionally a stutter in communication. Mizzen, Genoa and a light weight asym. Very happy after  at least 10k miles. 
I do recommend you measure and send the measurements precisely. We’re a bit too yankeed on the Genoa. But I didn’t measure. Still quite happy. 

Porter McRoberts 
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Apr 19, 2022, at 5:18 PM, Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:

I had good responses from them last year during lockdown. The sails turned up a bit later than predicted because of supply issues. They sorted out import issues with FedEx which held deliveries up at the port in UK. Unfortunately the sails arrived after I set of for the summer so they will be tested once my masts are back up and the boat is launched.
Just thought I’d give a positive viewpoint. It may be that it is company struggling to survive. Another casualty of COVID??

Ian






Re: File /Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf uploaded #file-notice

 

A photo of what Alan describes might help:
image.png


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   


On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 3:58 AM Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:
Having just replaced the membranes in our Dessalator 60 Duo, I would say the advice to use pliers / pipe wrench to remove the end caps is rather brutal and unnecessary.
Some years ago it was posted by (Ian?) to use webbing and a large hoseclamp :

Take one jubilee clip (worm clamp) and a short length of webbing and trap the two ends of the webbing between the jubilee clip and the endcap to make a loop.  Sitting in the cockpit, .....  put the loop over one of the cleats on

the mizzen mast , hold the black tube with two hands and gently pull
 I did exactly that and it works a treat - easy, you don't even have to pull very hard if you twist it slightly, the end caps just pop out.

I did the whole job in about an hour, from removal to refitting.

AND I got some of those JIC seals mentioned in another post for the high pressure fittings, cleaned and reassembled the fittings with the seals, tightened as per Bill Rouse spec (1/4 turn), and magic, no leaks at all.

Easy!

Thanks to all who post on this forum...it's the additive detail that makes for good results!

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437...alive and well in Opua!


Re: Qsails

James Alton
 

There are usuallly two sides to every story.  In this case I would note that there seem to be quite a few Amel owners such as myself who were well treated by Q-sails. I have had three sails built by Q-sails to date,  Main, Mizzen and Genoa and will be going back for a mizzen balloner. The last two sails were delivered to me personally by Q-sails in Feb. of this year so my experiences are recent.  I dealt with Emrah on all matters and always felt that he was honest with me.  There is definitely a culture difference which I think can be misinterpeted by us Westerners and I think is a factor in some of the problems.  Once you insult or threaten someone the ability to deal with them is going to be damaged going forward.  The supply chain issue is real and things such as some sail fabrics are currently difficult to obtain in Turkey from what I have learned.  Materials may be promised to a sailmaker that never arrive.  

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220
Marmaris, Turkey


-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io <southernadventurer@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Apr 19, 2022 12:19 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Qsails

Do not deal with this company. All the staff from Emrah (owner) down lied to us. Amel owners know our story as we posted it on the group site so you were aware last year. There are so many Amel owners that have had the same issue.

Regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
Currently cruising Turkey.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022, 9:09 AM, Alex BAIZEAU <alexandre.baizeau@...> wrote:
I feel your frustration as I have the exact same experience, Maranu 86, ordered at the end of 2021 AFTER being promised that they had enough of this particular cloth for 300 sails in stock.

I did not canceled the order as they kept promising for a few more days since January.

I have 50 plus emails of excuses for delays with the exact same person, I CCed Bill’s contact, who might be the CEO, who knows, on every email.

They’ve asked for the remainder of the payment on Friday, which I sent and now they are waiting, supposedly, for the wire transfer to settle.

I hope I’m going to receive my sails but I will never ever ever be doing business with them.

I understand the current supply chain situation but they mislead me with their inventory and once locked in the process there is nothing you can do but pray for them to deliver.

So if you want to be mislead and experience the worst customer service ever go with QSails. 

In my opinion there is no amount of quality or discount that can be worth such a bad customer experience.

Amel Owners beware of QSails, customer satisfaction is not one of their priorities.



On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 5:55 AM Thomas Nienkemper <thomas.nienkemper@...> wrote:
Ordered DP Pro Radial sails end of November for our 1984 Maramu after they promised to have the material in stock. Delivery date was supposed to be January. Got delayed and delayed. I have been lied to more than I can count. After cancelling the order and requesting a refund in March they stopped communicating. I already handed the case over to my lawyer. Then 1 week ago they suddenly told me the sails are ready and shipped. I just need to pay the remaining money. I told them we are travelling in South Pacific and they did not even think of checking the address again before shipping. Thats the short version. The quality and price might be good, also they might suffer from supply chain problems. But communication and customer handling was the worst I ever experienced. Person responsible was Cenk Yildirim. Many more grey hairs for me, so no recommendation. 

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently in Turkey


Re: Qsails

Ian Park
 

I had good responses from them last year during lockdown. The sails turned up a bit later than predicted because of supply issues. They sorted out import issues with FedEx which held deliveries up at the port in UK. Unfortunately the sails arrived after I set of for the summer so they will be tested once my masts are back up and the boat is launched.
Just thought I’d give a positive viewpoint. It may be that it is company struggling to survive. Another casualty of COVID??

Ian


Re: Qsails

Denis Foster
 

Hello,
Concerning Crosscut vs Radial for inmast furling, I understood it was the increase of thickness due to the greater number of seams overlapping saying crosscut can be a better solution using regularHydranet instead of Hydranet radial.
I am no expert so this could also be false.
Regards
Denis

Envoyé de mon iPhone


Re: Qsails

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
 

Do not deal with this company. All the staff from Emrah (owner) down lied to us. Amel owners know our story as we posted it on the group site so you were aware last year. There are so many Amel owners that have had the same issue.

Regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
Currently cruising Turkey.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022, 9:09 AM, Alex BAIZEAU <alexandre.baizeau@...> wrote:

I feel your frustration as I have the exact same experience, Maranu 86, ordered at the end of 2021 AFTER being promised that they had enough of this particular cloth for 300 sails in stock.

I did not canceled the order as they kept promising for a few more days since January.

I have 50 plus emails of excuses for delays with the exact same person, I CCed Bill’s contact, who might be the CEO, who knows, on every email.

They’ve asked for the remainder of the payment on Friday, which I sent and now they are waiting, supposedly, for the wire transfer to settle.

I hope I’m going to receive my sails but I will never ever ever be doing business with them.

I understand the current supply chain situation but they mislead me with their inventory and once locked in the process there is nothing you can do but pray for them to deliver.

So if you want to be mislead and experience the worst customer service ever go with QSails. 

In my opinion there is no amount of quality or discount that can be worth such a bad customer experience.

Amel Owners beware of QSails, customer satisfaction is not one of their priorities.



On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 5:55 AM Thomas Nienkemper <thomas.nienkemper@...> wrote:
Ordered DP Pro Radial sails end of November for our 1984 Maramu after they promised to have the material in stock. Delivery date was supposed to be January. Got delayed and delayed. I have been lied to more than I can count. After cancelling the order and requesting a refund in March they stopped communicating. I already handed the case over to my lawyer. Then 1 week ago they suddenly told me the sails are ready and shipped. I just need to pay the remaining money. I told them we are travelling in South Pacific and they did not even think of checking the address again before shipping. Thats the short version. The quality and price might be good, also they might suffer from supply chain problems. But communication and customer handling was the worst I ever experienced. Person responsible was Cenk Yildirim. Many more grey hairs for me, so no recommendation. 


--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently in Turkey


Re: File /Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf uploaded #file-notice

Alan Leslie
 

Having just replaced the membranes in our Dessalator 60 Duo, I would say the advice to use pliers / pipe wrench to remove the end caps is rather brutal and unnecessary.
Some years ago it was posted by (Ian?) to use webbing and a large hoseclamp :

Take one jubilee clip (worm clamp) and a short length of webbing and trap the two ends of the webbing between the jubilee clip and the endcap to make a loop.  Sitting in the cockpit, .....  put the loop over one of the cleats on

the mizzen mast , hold the black tube with two hands and gently pull
 I did exactly that and it works a treat - easy, you don't even have to pull very hard if you twist it slightly, the end caps just pop out.

I did the whole job in about an hour, from removal to refitting.

AND I got some of those JIC seals mentioned in another post for the high pressure fittings, cleaned and reassembled the fittings with the seals, tightened as per Bill Rouse spec (1/4 turn), and magic, no leaks at all.

Easy!

Thanks to all who post on this forum...it's the additive detail that makes for good results!

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437...alive and well in Opua!

.


Re: Qsails

Thomas Nienkemper
 

Ordered DP Pro Radial sails end of November for our 1984 Maramu after they promised to have the material in stock. Delivery date was supposed to be January. Got delayed and delayed. I have been lied to more than I can count. After cancelling the order and requesting a refund in March they stopped communicating. I already handed the case over to my lawyer. Then 1 week ago they suddenly told me the sails are ready and shipped. I just need to pay the remaining money. I told them we are travelling in South Pacific and they did not even think of checking the address again before shipping. Thats the short version. The quality and price might be good, also they might suffer from supply chain problems. But communication and customer handling was the worst I ever experienced. Person responsible was Cenk Yildirim. Many more grey hairs for me, so no recommendation. 


Re: File /Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf uploaded #file-notice

David Vogel
 

Thanks Mark - a nice update.

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification" <noreply@groups.io>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Monday, 18 April 2022 at 3:10 pm
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] File /Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf uploaded #file-notice

The following files and folders have been uploaded to the Files area of the main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io group.
https://AmelYachtOwners.groups.io/g/main/files/Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf
By: Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...>
Description:
A detailed file on how to replace membranes from Dessalator


Re: File /Dessalator Technical Info/Dessalator Replacement of Membranes - detailed.pdf uploaded #file-notice

Jose Venegas
 

Nicely done Mark.  Thanks a lot

Jose Gabriel Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278
Currently in Club de Pesca
Cartagena Colombia


Re: Watermarker low pressure pump stuck

 

Rebuild 


or 

Replace
You have some choices here. I assume this is the Calpeda for the primary seawater pump, rather than the chiller circulation pump on later model 55s:
Veco (Climma) uses Calpeda pumps and brands them with the Climma brand. When they do this, they assign a Climma number. The Calpeda number is BCM20/E for the original AC saltwater pump. Calpeda no longer offers a BCM20/E, they currently offer a Calpeda BCM22/1/A-R and it is 50/60Hz. It moves 1,700GPH. It is currently in stock at Caraibes Refrigeration in Martinique. Caraibes is a Yacht School Preferred Vendor offering 10-15% discount to Yacht School Clients. And even better is the Gianneschi 01CB22G302 with a 95MM Impeller. It pumps 1841 GPH and is 230VAC 50/60htz. List $986.70.

I am now convinced that the best pump for the Amel SM, 54, & 55 A/C system is the Calpeda BCM22/1/A-R pump. Someday, March may make a resin encapsulated motor/magnetic drive pump in the 1,500GPH range. When they do, my preference will change. That said, the March TE 5.5C-MD-AC 1500GPH (not encapsulated) will do a satisfactory job, however, you must keep saltwater away from everything except the inside of the pump housing, and you must treat the painted sheet metal case with CorrosionX. You must also immediately clean any accidentally spilled saltwater from the casing and treat it with CorrosionX.
image.png

Another great pump is the Gianneschi CB-22-95-230V is a Bronze CB Series Centrifugal Pump and Motor unit with Bronze Impeller, 1 Inch BSP Inlet by 1 Inch BSP Outlet Ports, coupled to a 0.37KW (0.5 Horsepower), 2900 RPM, 230 Volt AC, Single Phase Motor. Get it with a 95MM Impeller and it will be 1841 GPH.
image.png


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 11:03 AM Nick Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Joerg,

I think that you will have to strip it down. Probably the seal has gone and salt water has corroded it.

Whenever I leave the boat for any period of time I flush all the systems, namely: engine, generator, fridges, air con and anchor wash, with fresh water and finish off with some antifreeze mixed in which has anticorrosive properties. This helps tremendously when decommissioning in the spring…

Kind regards

Nick Newington

S/Y Amelia
Leros Gr.

PS I fly out to the boat on April 26 last aboard in November. Fingers crossed…..

On 18 Apr 2022, at 15:35, Joerg Esdorn via groups.io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

I tried to turn the shaft of the Calpeda pump with a screw driver but it does not budge.  I tried a large pair of channel lock pliers - same result.  Anyone have any ideas what to try next?  


Joerg Esdorn
Amel 55 Kincsem
currently in La Rochelle 


4201 - 4220 of 67102