Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Intermittent A/C Seawater Pump

Ryan Meador
 

I'm confused, you two seem to be agreeing and yet you're saying different things. mF and µF differ by a factor of 1000!  m is the metric prefix for milli, i.e. 1/1,000. µ (often written u because it's easier to type) is the metric prefix for micro, i.e. 1/1,000,000. So which is it?

Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, USA

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 5:51 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Dean,

Yes, that 10 mf run capacitor is the most common failed part when the pump is doing what you say. Of course there could be other causes.

Mark Erdos makes a very good point about the best replacement for the pump.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550







On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 3:19 PM, trifin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Bill, are you referring to the 10uF (10 microFarad) cap which is in the box on top of the pump?





Base for Jabsco Quiet Flush head Brojen

karkauai
 

Hi all.
On my last passage, the base of my foreword Quiet Flush Jabsco head broke. Jabsco has changed the base and the old ones are no longer available. The new base doesn't have the outboard bolt holes to bolt it to the fiberglass pan, only 3 bolt holes on the perimeter of the base. The fore and aft holes line up with the old ones. The inboard hole is barely on the edge of the flat part of the cabin sole, I drilled it but found no backing plate to tap. There is no access without removing the fiberglass shower enclosure.

I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the fiberglass under the head, and epoxying a piece of stainless underneath where the inboard hole is, then drilling and tapping it.

I might be able to drill a big enough hole to insert a Molly bolt, but not sure I can get it to tighten up with nothing to hold it under the flooring.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Solution?

Is there any down side to cutting a fist-sized hole in the shower pan?

I could move the head outboard a centimeter or so to give myself a flat surface to work with, no more as the macerator motor won't allow it. Any thoughts about that?

Does anyone know the configuration of the backing plates under the original holes?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Kent
SM243
Kristy
St Michaels, MD, USA


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Securing dinghy ashore

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Pat,

In my experience, "Kryptonite" flex cable comes in several thicknesses and the one that is between 3/8" and 7/16" is difficult to cut. The thieves usually steal the best available dinghy with the easiest-to-cut cable.

But, if you have a nice dinghy and/or a stupid crook, you may lose your dinghy no matter what you do. BTW, most crooks hate 4 cycle Hondas, and love 15+ hp 2 cycle engines.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School  http://amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970








On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Thanks all, it sounds like everyone is using chain, which is heavy and can be cut , I was hoping someone had discovered a flexible cable that was difficult to cut . I guess its chain and keeping the insurance premiums paid.

Thanks Again,
Pat SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Aug 17, 2017 12:42 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Securing dinghy ashore

 
Good morning Pat,

My solution is probably extreme.

Last year I purchased small length of 3/8 chain and 1/2 chains to secure dinghy and bicycles.

Then I realized the eyes on the dinghy to secure it are about 10 mm made of aluminium, so they will be cut quicker than the chain, so I use the 3/8 chain.

I use the 1/2 inch chain to secure my bicycles (around cleat, pole, etc.).
When people see its size of the chain they smile (many take pictures).
I assume/hope that a thief (a lazy person to start with) will be discouraged of cutting off such chain and look for another victim.
For the lock I use the German Made ABUS Granit which are Level 10
https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Marine/Padlocks/GRANIT-37-55-S-038-S

All the chains can also be linked together using shackles for my 2nd anchor.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
IGY Simpson Bay Marina, St Maarten, NA

--------------------------------------------
On Thu, 8/17/17, sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Securing dinghy ashore
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, August 17, 2017, 7:46 AM


 









The last time we were in the Caribbean
I secured my dinghy with a cable that was encased in gray
plastic . I think it was called Kryptonite , I was told by a
friend and where I bought it , that it was very difficult to
cut. Well I just cut it very easily with a very short
handled cable cutter. When we go ashore , I like to think
that are dinghy will be there when we get back . So does
anyone have a suggestion as to the most secure way to secure
a dinghy. Nothing is bullet proof , but I want to get as
close as possible.Thanks,
PatSM Shenanigans









#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421 --
#yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp #yiv2470719421hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp #yiv2470719421ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp .yiv2470719421ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp .yiv2470719421ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp .yiv2470719421ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2470719421ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2470719421ygrp-lc #yiv2470719421hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2470719421ygrp-lc .yiv2470719421ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span
.yiv2470719421underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 dd.yiv2470719421last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 dd.yiv2470719421last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 dd.yiv2470719421last p
span.yiv2470719421yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421file-title a, #yiv2470719421
div.yiv2470719421file-title a:active, #yiv2470719421
div.yiv2470719421file-title a:hover, #yiv2470719421
div.yiv2470719421file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a,
#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a:active,
#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a:hover,
#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 div#yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv2470719421ygrp-msg p a span.yiv2470719421yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv2470719421 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv2470719421 input, #yiv2470719421 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv2470719421
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg #yiv2470719421logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}


#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-msg
p#yiv2470719421attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-reco
#yiv2470719421reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor #yiv2470719421ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor #yiv2470719421ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor #yiv2470719421ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv2470719421



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Intermittent A/C Seawater Pump

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Dean,

Yes, that 10 mf run capacitor is the most common failed part when the pump is doing what you say. Of course there could be other causes.

Mark Erdos makes a very good point about the best replacement for the pump.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970







On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 3:19 PM, trifin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Bill, are you referring to the 10uF (10 microFarad) cap which is in the box on top of the pump?




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Securing dinghy ashore

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Pat,

I think all the locking methods only stop the impulse thefts. If someone sets out to steel a dinghy and comes equipped they're going to get one no matter what we do. One time we were at the Annapolis boat show. We came back and found ours shifted but tied up again. The Mercury 4 stroke outboard we had was a bit hard to start and if you got it wrong it had a kick back that would break your arm. Might have saved us a new dinghy  and left a thief with a sore arm.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 18 August 2017 at 07:43 "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Thanks all, it sounds like everyone is using chain, which is heavy and can be cut , I was hoping someone had discovered a flexible cable that was difficult to cut . I guess its chain and keeping the insurance premiums paid.

Thanks Again,
Pat SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Thu, Aug 17, 2017 12:42 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Securing dinghy ashore

 
Good morning Pat,

My solution is probably extreme.

Last year I purchased small length of 3/8 chain and 1/2 chains to secure dinghy and bicycles.

Then I realized the eyes on the dinghy to secure it are about 10 mm made of aluminium, so they will be cut quicker than the chain, so I use the 3/8 chain.

I use the 1/2 inch chain to secure my bicycles (around cleat, pole, etc.).
When people see its size of the chain they smile (many take pictures).
I assume/hope that a thief (a lazy person to start with) will be discouraged of cutting off such chain and look for another victim.
For the lock I use the German Made ABUS Granit which are Level 10
https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Marine/Padlocks/GRANIT-37-55-S-038-S

All the chains can also be linked together using shackles for my 2nd anchor.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
IGY Simpson Bay Marina, St Maarten, NA

--------------------------------------------
On Thu, 8/17/17, sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Securing dinghy ashore
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Thursday, August 17, 2017, 7:46 AM


 









The last time we were in the Caribbean
I secured my dinghy with a cable that was encased in gray
plastic . I think it was called Kryptonite , I was told by a
friend and where I bought it , that it was very difficult to
cut. Well I just cut it very easily with a very short
handled cable cutter. When we go ashore , I like to think
that are dinghy will be there when we get back . So does
anyone have a suggestion as to the most secure way to secure
a dinghy. Nothing is bullet proof , but I want to get as
close as possible.Thanks,
PatSM Shenanigans









#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421 --
#yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp #yiv2470719421hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp #yiv2470719421ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp .yiv2470719421ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp .yiv2470719421ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp .yiv2470719421ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2470719421ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2470719421ygrp-lc #yiv2470719421hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2470719421ygrp-lc .yiv2470719421ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span
.yiv2470719421underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 dd.yiv2470719421last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 dd.yiv2470719421last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 dd.yiv2470719421last p
span.yiv2470719421yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421file-title a, #yiv2470719421
div.yiv2470719421file-title a:active, #yiv2470719421
div.yiv2470719421file-title a:hover, #yiv2470719421
div.yiv2470719421file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a,
#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a:active,
#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a:hover,
#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 div#yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv2470719421ygrp-msg p a span.yiv2470719421yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv2470719421 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv2470719421 input, #yiv2470719421 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv2470719421
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg #yiv2470719421logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}


#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-msg
p#yiv2470719421attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-reco
#yiv2470719421reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor #yiv2470719421ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor #yiv2470719421ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor #yiv2470719421ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv2470719421

 

 


 


Re: Thomson Washer major water flooding !!!

Jose Venegas
 

Ian,   It sounds very much like my problem.  Fortunately I was able to see the flooding and stop the machine, which stop the flood of water.  It thus may be that in my case the valve is OK but the water level sensor is faulty and the pump is not working.   I just received a new pump and will take the thing apart this weekend.  
In your case it seem the problem was intermittent but in my case it flooded twice.  

I will report my experience

thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

Jose

SM2K 278 Boston


Low pressure pump for the 160 liter Watermaker

eric freedman
 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Securing dinghy ashore

Patrick McAneny
 

Thanks all, it sounds like everyone is using chain, which is heavy and can be cut , I was hoping someone had discovered a flexible cable that was difficult to cut . I guess its chain and keeping the insurance premiums paid.
Thanks Again,
Pat SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners Sent: Thu, Aug 17, 2017 12:42 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Securing dinghy ashore

 
Good morning Pat,

My solution is probably extreme.

Last year I purchased small length of 3/8 chain and 1/2 chains to secure dinghy and bicycles.

Then I realized the eyes on the dinghy to secure it are about 10 mm made of aluminium, so they will be cut quicker than the chain, so I use the 3/8 chain.

I use the 1/2 inch chain to secure my bicycles (around cleat, pole, etc.).
When people see its size of the chain they smile (many take pictures).
I assume/hope that a thief (a lazy person to start with) will be discouraged of cutting off such chain and look for another victim.
For the lock I use the German Made ABUS Granit which are Level 10
https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Marine/Padlocks/GRANIT-37-55-S-038-S

All the chains can also be linked together using shackles for my 2nd anchor.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
IGY Simpson Bay Marina, St Maarten, NA

--------------------------------------------
On Thu, 8/17/17, sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Securing dinghy ashore
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Thursday, August 17, 2017, 7:46 AM


 









The last time we were in the Caribbean
I secured my dinghy with a cable that was encased in gray
plastic . I think it was called Kryptonite , I was told by a
friend and where I bought it , that it was very difficult to
cut. Well I just cut it very easily with a very short
handled cable cutter. When we go ashore , I like to think
that are dinghy will be there when we get back . So does
anyone have a suggestion as to the most secure way to secure
a dinghy. Nothing is bullet proof , but I want to get as
close as possible.Thanks,
PatSM Shenanigans









#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421 --
#yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
0;padding:0 10px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp hr {
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp #yiv2470719421hd {
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp #yiv2470719421ads {
margin-bottom:10px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp .yiv2470719421ad {
padding:0 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp .yiv2470719421ad p {
margin:0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mkp .yiv2470719421ad a {
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2470719421ygrp-lc {
font-family:Arial;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2470719421ygrp-lc #yiv2470719421hd {
margin:10px
0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor
#yiv2470719421ygrp-lc .yiv2470719421ad {
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421actions {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity {
background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span {
font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span:first-child {
text-transform:uppercase;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span a {
color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span span {
color:#ff7900;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421activity span
.yiv2470719421underline {
text-decoration:underline;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach {
clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px
0;width:400px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach img {
border:none;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach label {
display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421attach label a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 blockquote {
margin:0 0 0 4px;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421bold {
font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421bold a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 dd.yiv2470719421last p a {
font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 dd.yiv2470719421last p span {
margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 dd.yiv2470719421last p
span.yiv2470719421yshortcuts {
margin-right:0;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421attach-table div div a {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421attach-table {
width:400px;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421file-title a, #yiv2470719421
div.yiv2470719421file-title a:active, #yiv2470719421
div.yiv2470719421file-title a:hover, #yiv2470719421
div.yiv2470719421file-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a,
#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a:active,
#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a:hover,
#yiv2470719421 div.yiv2470719421photo-title a:visited {
text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 div#yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg
#yiv2470719421ygrp-msg p a span.yiv2470719421yshortcuts {
font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421green {
color:#628c2a;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421MsoNormal {
margin:0 0 0 0;}

#yiv2470719421 o {
font-size:0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421photos div {
float:left;width:72px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421photos div div {
border:1px solid
#666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421photos div label {
color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421reco-category {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421reco-desc {
font-size:77%;}

#yiv2470719421 .yiv2470719421replbq {
margin:4px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg {
font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg table {
font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg select,
#yiv2470719421 input, #yiv2470719421 textarea {
font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv2470719421
code {
font:115% monospace;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg * {
line-height:1.22em;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-mlmsg #yiv2470719421logo {
padding-bottom:10px;}


#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-msg p a {
font-family:Verdana;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-msg
p#yiv2470719421attach-count span {
color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-reco
#yiv2470719421reco-head {
color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-reco {
margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor #yiv2470719421ov
li a {
font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor #yiv2470719421ov
li {
font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-sponsor #yiv2470719421ov
ul {
margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-text {
font-family:Georgia;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-text p {
margin:0 0 1em 0;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-text tt {
font-size:120%;}

#yiv2470719421 #yiv2470719421ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
border-right:none !important;
}
#yiv2470719421


Re: Intermittent A/C Seawater Pump

Dean Gillies
 

Bill, are you referring to the 10uF (10 microFarad) cap which is in the box on top of the pump?


Re: winter liveaboard?

greatketch@...
 

I lived on a boat for 15 years in cool San Francisco, which pales in comparison to winter in Boston.  But I'll second the comment that moisture is the enemy.  Every breath you take adds water to the air, and if that water is not removed, it will condense on the cold hull and cause no ends of problems.

The only way to get keep condensation from forming is to remove the water.  Either with a dehumidifier or through ventilation--or both.  The problem is the colder it gets, the less ventilation you want because it is... well... cold!

I had a in-cabin heater, a Dickenson diesel fuel model that was great at keeping things warm and dry on a 40 foot boat down to 20 degrees or so.  It would do the main saloon on a SM, but not the whole boat in Boston temperatures.  It's also a major installation project.

Some other simple hints...  
  • Shower at the gym or at work if you can.  Showers add HUGELY to the water load in the air. 
  • When cooking, keep the pots covered, and simmer as low as possible.  
  • Get an electric mattress pad.  That and a fluffy duvet will give you a sense of well being in a blizzard.  
  • Have a plan of action about what you will do if there is an electrical outage when the temperature is well below freezing.
  • Be really careful on deck when it is frosty!  It is VERY slippery.
Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Gloucester, Maine


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: finding LED bulbs for overhead lights

Mark Erdos
 

Here is a link to LED bulbs that are G4 bases 24v that we are using on Cream Puff:

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014XLDY1S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

and

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQJSL20/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 11:42 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: finding LED bulbs for overhead lights

 

 

Thanks for the tips.  You've given me a bunch of good ideas.  Also, I contacted boatlamps.co.uk and they knew exactly what I was talking about.  They recommend this bulb, which looks like it might work... I'll have to measure carefully to see if the fixture can accomodate the diameter.  It seems a little silly to me to waste the light that would be pointing up, but the bulbs are in theory brighter than the halogens they're replacing, so it might be OK.  Also I learned that the largest fixture on my boat, the one above the salon table, has the pins oriented straight out of the ceiling (so it would take a back-pin LED bulb).

 

Thanks,

Ryan

SM 233 Iteration

Boston, USA

 

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 11:24 AM, svperegrinus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hello Ryan,

 

I converted all bulbs on hull № 350 to LED in 2013.  I faced the same problem as you have.

 

For my overhead lights, the two-pin socket which comes from the Amel factory aligning vertically consists of a brown or black bakelite terminal with the electric wires coming in the back and the two pins exposed to the center of the light assembly.

 

This bakelite terminal is held in place by a little screw.  The bakelite terminal is elongated in such a way that when the little screw tightens, it automatically rotates the pins to the factory vertical position; i.e., if you loosen the screw, rotate the bakelite terminal 90°, and try to tighten the screw, it will inevitably rotate the bakelite  terminal back to the Amel factory position with the pins aligned vertically.

 

In 2013, no suitable LED existed with vertically aligned pins, much less in the warm light variety we required, and which proved very hard to find.

 

So I took an abrasive tip on a dremel, loosened the screw, pulled bakelite terminal so I had one or two inches of electric wire exposed (for ease of work), and wore down the Amel factory elongation on each bakelite terminal.  Sometimes upon retightening the screw the base still rotated a bit so the LED was not perfectly horizontal, but frankly, this does not impact light distribution in any perceptible way.  One or two of mine are crooked enough that one edge of the flat disk LED may be touching the diffuser glass, but I don't think anyone has ever noticed.

 

It takes a bit of time.  And I ruined one of the LEDs in the process of installing, but so far, only one LED has burned out, just a week or two ago.

 

Cheerio,

 

Peregrinus

SM2000 № 350 (2002)

Underway, Thermopylae to Sciathus

 

 

 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Securing dinghy ashore

greatketch@...
 

Just as an extra tiny obstacle in the path of the bad guys, I always take the kill switch clip with me when I leave the dinghy at the dock.  Somebody could always tow it away, but it's all about making your dinghy a bit harder to take or less interesting than the one next to it.

There are all kinds of creative things you can do to make an outboard un-friendly to a stranger.  Something like reversing the fuel hose.  Unlikely to ever be noticed by someone trying to make a quick getaway, but the engine will only run for a few minutes on the fuel in the carb, then stop and not restart.

We use a cable lock, mostly because the attachment to the hull is the weak point and don't really expect chain would add a lot to a deterrent.  The cable lock we use is from Seattle Sports, sold as a kayak lock.  It is long and adjustable with an integrated lock.  So far, at least, it has been holding up in the salt water--always tough for any lock.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Gloucester, Mass


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Down wind sail configuration

smiles bernard
 

Thanks Bill 
That's great
All the very best
Miles


On 17 Aug 2017, at 11:33, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Miles,


I do not have a Maramu Manual, but maybe the Super Maramu manual will help.


Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970









On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
Miles,

Read your manual...it is very straightforward. Let me know if you do not have a manual.


CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Down wind sail configuration

smiles bernard
 

Hi there Bill
I dont have a manual I'm afraid 

All the best
M

On 16 Aug 2017, at 22:41, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Miles,
He best
Read your manual...it is very straightforward. Let me know if you do not have a manual.


CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Down wind sail configuration

smiles bernard
 

Thanks that is great
I'll have a look at the owners manual
We take delivery of out 1984 maramu 46ft next Tuesday. 
I know it has had its electric curler replaced with a profurl electric unit
So sounds like it would need 3 luff groves and also a special top swivel. 
My old small halmatic 30 had a triple groove on the furler but no special swivel on the top

I wonder if that clever locking swivel part is entirely necessary assuming I probably don't have it. I.e. Would it furl up anyhow

Also since the balooner is amel specific I wonder where I can get sail plans for an old girl. 

Many thanks for your help folks 




On 16 Aug 2017, at 18:43, parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Miles
The ballooner setup is quite unique to AMEL boats. The sail is similar to a cruising chute, the same dimensions as the genoa, but goes up a second luff groove on the genoa furled. It is hoisted by a continuous halliard arrangement that enables the head of the sail to be engaged in the top swivel and the halliard to be completely removed. Thus enables both sails to be reeled simultaneously on the roller or rolled in completely. A third luff groove enables the ballooner to be lowered by hoisting a plastic 'mouse' which releases the ballooner - hence Chris's comment about his fast the sail comes down.

The twin articulated poles again are unique. They are much safer to deploy shorthanded than a spinnaker pole since none of the moving part of the pole is over the deck. The four pole control lines are colour coded individually and marked with the optimum creating off position to facilitate an easy set up prior to unfurling the genoa and then hoisting the ballooner.

All the instructions and diagrams are in the SM owners manual, a copy of which I believe is on file.

Hope this gives a quick overview, but reading the chapter will make more sense.

Good luck

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Intermittent A/C Seawater Pump

Mark Erdos
 

We replaced the expensive Italian Calpeda pump installed by Amel with this: https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.com/index.php/product-catalog/product/260-march-1500-gph-115-230v.html. It works much better than the Calpeda (very old technology and expensive parts - also not suitable to ground to the bonding system). The March pump doesn't need to connect the housing to the bonding system since it is plastic where seawater touches (you will need to connect to the ground). You can probably get the pump cheaper if you shop other than coastal climate: http://www.ebay.com/itm/March-pump-TE-5-5C-MD-1-Phase-115-230V-TEFC-/361876817634?hash=item54418a06e2:g:rMkAAOxygPtSyFqm

 

If you wish to repair the Calpeda pump, Coastal Climate is the USA dealer: https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.com/index.php/water-pumps.html  They are the people who recommended the March pump to me and it has worked well for 2+ years. It was an easy swap as the foot print and hoses are similar. You need to jump the wiring to make it 220v (instructions are included – very easy to do)

 

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:44 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Intermittent A/C Seawater Pump

 

 

Barry,

Do you have the model no of the March pump?

Was it a form and fit replacement or did you need to rejig the pipe work or mountings?

Cheers

Dean


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Intermittent A/C Seawater Pump

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Start capacitor 10mf


CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

   

On Aug 17, 2017 09:44, "trifin@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi All,
After some fault-finding on our AirCon system, I'm fairly confident I've isolated the problem to the Calpeda Seawater pump. The pump is being energised to start by all three A/C sub-systems, but most of the time it doesn't spin up. (Sometimes it does, just to make fault-tracing more interesting :-)

Anyway, each time I turn on the system and the pump doesn't start, I can make it work by first turning the the system back off, giving the pump spindle a little spin with a screwdriver and then turning the system on again. There is usually a little resistance to spinning which feels like it could maybe be a blockage, but if I turn the spindle through 30-60 degrees it frees up.

I'm interested in hearing any theories as to where I go next? Could there be debris in the pump? Is it a capacitor failure (is that a start cap or a run cap that I see in there on top of the pump?). Is this a sign I need to service or replace the pump?

All theories entertained !

Many thanks
Dean
SY Stella
Amel 54 #154


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Down wind sail configuration

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Yes, but I am not aware of an electronic copy of earlier models. 


CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

   

On Aug 17, 2017 11:53, "Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this seems like a natural point to ask... is there a separate manual for the original SM vs the SM2K?  I've only seen the latter, and there is no hard copy of a manual on my boat.

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, USA

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 6:33 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Miles,


I do not have a Maramu Manual, but maybe the Super Maramu manual will help.


Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970









On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
Miles,

Read your manual...it is very straightforward. Let me know if you do not have a manual.


CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970





Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: winter liveaboard?

Ryan Meador
 

Those are good ideas.  I used to have one of those Eva-Dry units and they are indeed a joke.  I had it for the summer though, not the winter.  It tends to be very dry here once the temperature goes below freezing.  My old boat had an Espar (Eberspacher), my new one does not.  That goes a long way towards keeping the boat dry because it exchanges air with the outside.  I think I'm going to try to heat with electric only this year rather than install one of those systems.  I also do not have a 50Hz inverter, but I'm sure I can find a similar dehumidifier that works at 60Hz.  I may also add a 50Hz inverter so I can run the washing machine.  Does anyone have experience separating out the electrical system so some things run on the inverter and some things don't?  Or did you just wire it right into the main breaker (in which case how do you run the hot water heater)?

Thanks,
Ryan

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 12:45 PM, svperegrinus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

For two people living permanently on am SM2K, we find in cool climates you need the following to avoid damage from condensation arising from high humidity.


1.  Always run the kitchen exhaust fan while using propane.
2.  Run at least two dehumidifiers permanently.  We have the Eva-Dry EDV-2200 with peltier technology, which is a bit of a joke and is not sufficient if people are living on the boat.  Don't recommend it.  We also have the DeLonghi DNC 65 with desiccant technology, highly recommended for low power use averaging about 50W, low noise, small size, and ability to keep dehumidifying even at low ambient temps when we are out and about.  Runs in the U.S. if you run it from your 50Hz inverter.
3.  Run the Eberspächer diesel heater at least once a day and for at least one hour.
4.  On any days with low ambient humidity, open all hatches and run fans.
5.  Install humidity monitors throughout the boat, and especially in the problem area on the berth above the batteries.  About $40 total.
6.  Open cabinet doors and rotate stored clothes as needed.

Cheers,

Peregrinus
SM2K N. 350
En route, Thermopylae to Skiathos




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Securing dinghy ashore

Stephen Davis
 

Hi Pat,

The biggest chain you are willing to lug around is your best bet. Also, I'd recommend 25' in order you give you more options not some of the very crowded Caribbean dinghy docks.

Steve
Aloha SM72
Aruba