Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Alex aboard Nikimat

Mark Erdos
 

Alexandre,

 

So very sorry for your loss. I know Nikimat was your baby. But, glad you are okay. This is so sad.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Grenada

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:21 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Alex aboard Nikimat

 

 

The following is from Alex, owner of NIKIMAT...both were in IRMA at St. Martin:

 

he wind slow down to acceptable level. 
The hotel employe came to tried without success to unstuck the balcony drain, so we use buckets to through the water over. 
Looking at the broken window, they told me the glass is rated at 175 mph for 1 hour and there was wind of 200 mph. Would be curious to know how fast was the wind. 
The street looks like a war zone, truck flew over, landed on cars, branches everywhere. Trying to see NIKIMAT, but I don’t. When I moved in the suite, I could see the 2 antennas on the main mast. Still too much wind to go. 
After 3 hours of removing the water from the bathroom, I was tired and the wind was down enough to walk in the street, I walk to the Marina. 
It look like the Apocalypse. All the boats were destroyed. 
NIKIMAT sunk as well. 
As I walk closer, I saw the Mizzen boom above water, the Main boom was under water. 
Even if I was expecting my boat to sing, it was very emotional. 
I have own NIKIMAT for 5 years and He was my Beloved Home for 4.5. 
I walked to my slip, some of the cleats were ripped off the dock. 
I pull the dock lines on the dock cleat that hold and find the boat cleats at the end of the dock. 
Nothing can resist a Category 5 Hurricane. 
My neighbor’s Horizon 70 had sink. 
A Catamaran went flying and landed on the roof of apartments. 
My neighbor’s Trimaran flip over.
All monohulls sink. 
I walked to the other IGY Marina (where they keep the Super Yacht) and it was the same. Total disaster. Catamarans flip over or flew away, several Yachts cut in half. An ex-neighbor at St Barth completely shred, etc. 
From a distance I could see Port de Plaisance and it was the same. 
Same for the rest of the marinas.

 

 

Best,

 

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  
http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Alex aboard Nikimat

John Clark
 

Porter,  take a lesson from Alex,  run north.  Your boat is fast, you can make Annapolis easy before storm could catch you..

On Sep 6, 2017 8:27 PM, "Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

I am stunned and so sorry to hear this Alex. Especially with Irma on the way right here. Fort Lauderdale. 
God save us all. 

Porter

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Sep 6, 2017, at 7:20 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

The following is from Alex, owner of NIKIMAT...both were in IRMA at St. Martin:

he wind slow down to acceptable level. 
The hotel employe came to tried without success to unstuck the balcony drain, so we use buckets to through the water over. 
Looking at the broken window, they told me the glass is rated at 175 mph for 1 hour and there was wind of 200 mph. Would be curious to know how fast was the wind. 
The street looks like a war zone, truck flew over, landed on cars, branches everywhere. Trying to see NIKIMAT, but I don’t. When I moved in the suite, I could see the 2 antennas on the main mast. Still too much wind to go. 
After 3 hours of removing the water from the bathroom, I was tired and the wind was down enough to walk in the street, I walk to the Marina. 
It look like the Apocalypse. All the boats were destroyed. 
NIKIMAT sunk as well. 
As I walk closer, I saw the Mizzen boom above water, the Main boom was under water. 
Even if I was expecting my boat to sing, it was very emotional. 
I have own NIKIMAT for 5 years and He was my Beloved Home for 4.5. 
I walked to my slip, some of the cleats were ripped off the dock. 
I pull the dock lines on the dock cleat that hold and find the boat cleats at the end of the dock. 
Nothing can resist a Category 5 Hurricane. 
My neighbor’s Horizon 70 had sink. 
A Catamaran went flying and landed on the roof of apartments. 
My neighbor’s Trimaran flip over.
All monohulls sink. 
I walked to the other IGY Marina (where they keep the Super Yacht) and it was the same. Total disaster. Catamarans flip over or flew away, several Yachts cut in half. An ex-neighbor at St Barth completely shred, etc. 
From a distance I could see Port de Plaisance and it was the same. 
Same for the rest of the marinas.


Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Alex aboard Nikimat

Porter McRoberts
 

I am stunned and so sorry to hear this Alex. Especially with Irma on the way right here. Fort Lauderdale. 
God save us all. 

Porter

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Sep 6, 2017, at 7:20 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

The following is from Alex, owner of NIKIMAT...both were in IRMA at St. Martin:

he wind slow down to acceptable level. 
The hotel employe came to tried without success to unstuck the balcony drain, so we use buckets to through the water over. 
Looking at the broken window, they told me the glass is rated at 175 mph for 1 hour and there was wind of 200 mph. Would be curious to know how fast was the wind. 
The street looks like a war zone, truck flew over, landed on cars, branches everywhere. Trying to see NIKIMAT, but I don’t. When I moved in the suite, I could see the 2 antennas on the main mast. Still too much wind to go. 
After 3 hours of removing the water from the bathroom, I was tired and the wind was down enough to walk in the street, I walk to the Marina. 
It look like the Apocalypse. All the boats were destroyed. 
NIKIMAT sunk as well. 
As I walk closer, I saw the Mizzen boom above water, the Main boom was under water. 
Even if I was expecting my boat to sing, it was very emotional. 
I have own NIKIMAT for 5 years and He was my Beloved Home for 4.5. 
I walked to my slip, some of the cleats were ripped off the dock. 
I pull the dock lines on the dock cleat that hold and find the boat cleats at the end of the dock. 
Nothing can resist a Category 5 Hurricane. 
My neighbor’s Horizon 70 had sink. 
A Catamaran went flying and landed on the roof of apartments. 
My neighbor’s Trimaran flip over.
All monohulls sink. 
I walked to the other IGY Marina (where they keep the Super Yacht) and it was the same. Total disaster. Catamarans flip over or flew away, several Yachts cut in half. An ex-neighbor at St Barth completely shred, etc. 
From a distance I could see Port de Plaisance and it was the same. 
Same for the rest of the marinas.


Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970


Alex aboard Nikimat

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

The following is from Alex, owner of NIKIMAT...both were in IRMA at St. Martin:

he wind slow down to acceptable level. 
The hotel employe came to tried without success to unstuck the balcony drain, so we use buckets to through the water over. 
Looking at the broken window, they told me the glass is rated at 175 mph for 1 hour and there was wind of 200 mph. Would be curious to know how fast was the wind. 
The street looks like a war zone, truck flew over, landed on cars, branches everywhere. Trying to see NIKIMAT, but I don’t. When I moved in the suite, I could see the 2 antennas on the main mast. Still too much wind to go. 
After 3 hours of removing the water from the bathroom, I was tired and the wind was down enough to walk in the street, I walk to the Marina. 
It look like the Apocalypse. All the boats were destroyed. 
NIKIMAT sunk as well. 
As I walk closer, I saw the Mizzen boom above water, the Main boom was under water. 
Even if I was expecting my boat to sing, it was very emotional. 
I have own NIKIMAT for 5 years and He was my Beloved Home for 4.5. 
I walked to my slip, some of the cleats were ripped off the dock. 
I pull the dock lines on the dock cleat that hold and find the boat cleats at the end of the dock. 
Nothing can resist a Category 5 Hurricane. 
My neighbor’s Horizon 70 had sink. 
A Catamaran went flying and landed on the roof of apartments. 
My neighbor’s Trimaran flip over.
All monohulls sink. 
I walked to the other IGY Marina (where they keep the Super Yacht) and it was the same. Total disaster. Catamarans flip over or flew away, several Yachts cut in half. An ex-neighbor at St Barth completely shred, etc. 
From a distance I could see Port de Plaisance and it was the same. 
Same for the rest of the marinas.


Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Instrument Interconnections

Sv Garulfo
 

Dean,

As for others, no heading to hydra 3000 on A54 #122. 

We have this diagram for the boat electronics, hope it can help. 



Thomas
Garulfo 
Amel 54 #122
Hyeres, France

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 at 15:05, trifin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Ok, progress.

I patched the antenna being used for the Icom 505 Radio to the FA50.
I can now transmit AIS. 
Now it's just a case of finding the bad connection on the AIS antenna/feed.

Wolfgang, I do have a breaker labelled BLU SSB. I'm not familiar with what that is, but I'd love to try it out.
I'm at Sounion today. What do I have to do?


Cheers
Dean
SY Stella
Amel 54 #154




Re: Instrument Interconnections

Dean Gillies
 

Ok, progress.
I patched the antenna being used for the Icom 505 Radio to the FA50.
I can now transmit AIS. 
Now it's just a case of finding the bad connection on the AIS antenna/feed.

Wolfgang, I do have a breaker labelled BLU SSB. I'm not familiar with what that is, but I'd love to try it out.
I'm at Sounion today. What do I have to do?

Cheers
Dean
SY Stella
Amel 54 #154




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hatch cover removal

Patrick McAneny
 

Jean-Pierre,
You were wise to make that part of your maintenance schedule , I never thought of it , wish I had.
Thanks,
Pat


-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Pierre Germain jgermain@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Wed, Sep 6, 2017 4:21 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hatch cover removal

 
Hi Pat,

I'm in the UK at this time and cannot verify the following. I believe there are two washers indeed however I've also made it a part of my monthly maintenance to loosen the Alan bolts and to re-tighten them again to avoid The kind of problem you are facing

Good luck with your hatches




On 5 Sep 2017, at 21:50, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 
Jean-Pierre, I cannot move them at all , I assume the stainless and aluminum has corroded together. Can you tell me how many plastic washers are on each hatch? I think it may be only two , but not sure, as they sell them in sets of four.
Thanks,
Pat SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Pierre Germain jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Tue, Sep 5, 2017 1:51 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hatch cover removal

 
Hello Pat,

I don't know if my Goiot hatches are the same as yours but I can tighten mine with a large Alan key on the port side of the hatch. 

GL


On 5 Sep 2017, at 17:53, sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 
My hatches don't stay open and I believe I need to replace the friction washer. I applied Pb Blaster for a couple of days , however they will not budge. Its a 1/2' SSteel rod ,threaded into the aluminum frame. Has anyone had any luck ever removing these rods or suggest how to. The fiberglass and lens is very close to use a torch. Also is there just two black plastic washers or more per hatch, I don't know as I have some missing.
Thanks,
Pat SM123


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Best trade wind rig for an Amel 55

hanspeter baettig
 

Hello Gavin
as a long time amel owner (SM ) I understand the reply from Amel about your "?" question if Amel provides a manual about sail arrangements. Why Amel said no ?
Amel can not look always about your actual weather conditions, simple , you understand ?
Maybe you should first learn sailing on a dingy  😉have big pleasure with your great boat.
Fair winds
Hanspeter
SM16, Tamango2
Alger, Algerien

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 05.09.2017 um 13:15 schrieb Gavin Shaw gavingilmorelodge@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

 

Thanks Joerg, very helpful.

We bought hull 9 (2012) a few months ago. Although the first owner passed on an Amel 55 owner's manual this provides no advice on rig and sail configurations. When we asked Amel if there was a user's manual with recommended sail arrangements they said no. Yet you refer to "instructions" for how to use the staysail when beating in strong winds. If you have Amel approved instructions for using the sails generally would you be able to send these as an email attachment?

Many thanks,

Gavin


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Anti torque bow thruster modification

karkauai
 

When I acquired SM 243 (1999) I found the uninstalled anti torque mechanism aboard.  Instructions were also present.  It wasn't hard to install.  I didn't use the BT prior to installation, so don't have anything to compare, but my thruster has no delay.

Kent
S/V Kristy
St Michaels, MD


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] motors for outhaul and furling

Jean-Pierre Germain <jgermain@...>
 

Hello Miles

This problem occurs occasionally on the hall at SMs that I know of .. when it happens, I use my rubber mallet and tap on the case while a second crewmember activates the switch. This normally works until I can open the case and remove the carbon coming from the rotors. 

GL


On 6 Sep 2017, at 01:00, John Clark john.biohead@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Miles,  can't immediately answer your exact question because I'm sitting in a restaurant, but I found that my main sail motors occaisionally don't respond.  Brushes look good.  I suspect they are hanging up in their holders because after inspection the motors always run....also if you "mechanically agitate" the motor with a winch handle without disassembly I can get they to run long enough that I forget they can be finicky.

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37
Bath,  NC

On Sep 5, 2017 6:58 PM, "milesbid@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hello all,

The outhaul motor on Ladybug has stopped working.  The circuit breakers and solenoids are alright so I am looking for bushes and bushes for the motor. 

Can anyone tell the frame size of the outhaul motor and hardness of the brushes?  

Thanks in advance,

MIles

SM 216 Ladybug, moored in Newport, RI harbor.


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hatch cover removal

Jean-Pierre Germain <jgermain@...>
 

Hi Pat,

I'm in the UK at this time and cannot verify the following. I believe there are two washers indeed however I've also made it a part of my monthly maintenance to loosen the Alan bolts and to re-tighten them again to avoid The kind of problem you are facing

Good luck with your hatches




On 5 Sep 2017, at 21:50, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Jean-Pierre, I cannot move them at all , I assume the stainless and aluminum has corroded together. Can you tell me how many plastic washers are on each hatch? I think it may be only two , but not sure, as they sell them in sets of four.

Thanks,
Pat SM #123


-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Pierre Germain jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Tue, Sep 5, 2017 1:51 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Hatch cover removal

 
Hello Pat,

I don't know if my Goiot hatches are the same as yours but I can tighten mine with a large Alan key on the port side of the hatch. 

GL


On 5 Sep 2017, at 17:53, sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 
My hatches don't stay open and I believe I need to replace the friction washer. I applied Pb Blaster for a couple of days , however they will not budge. Its a 1/2' SSteel rod ,threaded into the aluminum frame. Has anyone had any luck ever removing these rods or suggest how to. The fiberglass and lens is very close to use a torch. Also is there just two black plastic washers or more per hatch, I don't know as I have some missing.
Thanks,
Pat SM123


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

eric freedman
 

Hi Fred,

I guess I just missed you in La Rochelle in 2002.

I believe the high pressure wash down pump and the anchor wash down pump.

Were made by Sureflow 4.0 Gallons per minute. Very easy to install.

Both have worked flawlessly for about 10 years.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 5:15 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

 

 

 

Hi Eric,

 

It’s amazing ;-) My SM2K is #375 !!

 

Just for your and others Information :

My AMFA pump failed during Pacific Ocean Passage and, as I was not able to get a new one as spare when I left France, I bought a Whale Watermaster 3.0 GPM, 24 V d.c Ref FW1225 and website : https://goo.gl/mi7rhn

It’s really very easy to install, even the green light on the 24V panel can be lighted when it works… Pressure is perfect, also for the washing machine and It works now for 6 months without question.

The only details to take in account are the pipes connectors for which you should best prepare before needing to replace the original AMFA when it fails (it’s cheap, light, clean and again very easy to install even if it’s just for a moment you need to repair the AMFA if you have parts…)

 

May I ask you the same question about the sea water pump for the anchor chain ?

Mine is as well in poor condition and it’s not available anymore. Did one of you replace it for another model with sufficient power and features to make the job ?

 

Thanks again to both of you (Bill and Eric) for the great help you offer here and invaluable experience you share.

 

Best.

Fred

S/V ScentStone #375

currently in Bundaberg (AU)

 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] motors for outhaul and furling

eric freedman
 

Hi Miles,

Did you have someone try the furling motor and you feel if it is working.

Sometimes it could be the bronze gear in the gearbox is missing teeth or is worn down.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 6:58 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] motors for outhaul and furling

 

 

Hello all,

The outhaul motor on Ladybug has stopped working.  The circuit breakers and solenoids are alright so I am looking for bushes and bushes for the motor. 

Can anyone tell the frame size of the outhaul motor and hardness of the brushes?  

Thanks in advance,

MIles

SM 216 Ladybug, moored in Newport, RI harbor.


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Nav Instruments on SM

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Peter,

As far as I know, the Analog Speed indicator is not user calibrated.

You might email Sarah Pidgley sarah@... and ask her if they can calibrate your Analog Speed indicator.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970







On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 6:26 PM, Peter Jaeger mallamok@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Bill,

I installed the NMEA Paddlewheel, conncted it to my Hydra 330 and to my NMEA multiplexer, now I have SOG on the Hydra System. The only "tricky" thing was the baud rate of the second output of the multiplexer, per default it is set to highspeed (38400) 4800 is correct for NMEA Paddlewheel. But now it is up and running. I am quite happy with the solution, thank you for this tip.
The only thing I do not understand, the Speed on the FFD's shows about 1kn higher thanthe analog instrument. Can I configure them separately? In the manuel I only found how to configure speed for the hydra system, not for singles instruments.

Peter 

SY Wilson, SM#003, La Rochelle

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail für iPad

Am Montag, Februar 27, 2017, 23:26 schrieb 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>:

 

Peter,

It sounds like you may be looking for another option...

One option is to display SOG on the analog B&G cockpit gauges and on the Hydra FFD rather than SOW by installing a NMEA paddlewheel. 

The NMEA Paddlewheel device connects to a data port on the GPS, reads the GPS NMEA sentences and finds SOG. It then translates that SOG into B&G language as SOW. If you are a sailing purest, SOW may be important to you if you must know how much current is impacting your SOG, but remember SOG is what really counts and gets you where you are going. 

This solution may be the best for you. It is simple to install: 2 wires connect to 12VDC at the Hydra toggle switch, 2 wires connect to NMEA data OUT on your GPS and 2 wires connect to the B&G computer at the same place that sonic speed or paddlewheel connect.


NMEA Paddlewheel

NMEA Paddlewheel

The NMEA Paddlewheel converts NMEA from either a GPS or electromagnetic log to a paddlewheel output suitable for connecting directly to an instrument system, such as a B&G Hydra/Hercules.

Retail price £295.00

Bill
BeBe 387


On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM, mallamok@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi everybody

Since one year I am refitting a older SM in La Rochelle (1989, SM #3).

I am quite happy, the old Lady is pretty again.

I installed a new Radar (Simrad 4G), an NAIS 400 and both are connected to a Lowrance HDS10 1 Gen. Works excellent. The B&G equippment is the original one, a Hydra 330, with 4 analog Instruments in the Cockpit (no NMEA), one Hydra330 FFD at the Chart table and one Hydra2 FFD, both none NMEA:

The sonic Speed is not working correctly anymore, the is Speed, but never more than 2 knots, regardless of the SOG on the GPS. Since there are no spares anymore for the Sonic Speed from B@G, Stephane from Pochon recommend a Ultra Sonic Speed Sensor from NKE, which should be compatible with my Hydra, good News but.... it is about 1000 Euro!

My dream is to have the Hydra upgraded to NMEA Protocoll, to have wind and Autopilot connected (also an old Autohelm ST700, Type300, Rotary Drive Type2).

What do you experienced guys recommend, shall I keep/upgrade my old Equipment (I already replaced the wind 321 when I bought my boat) or shall I replace the old ones with a Triton or Raymarine System. One reason why I am asking: I like the analoge Instruments in the Cockpit more than digital ones. But I am afraid that upgrading is much more expensive. Good advices are very wellcome.

Cheers

Peter

SY Wilson, SM#003, La Rochelle




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] motors for outhaul and furling

John Clark
 

Hi Miles,  can't immediately answer your exact question because I'm sitting in a restaurant, but I found that my main sail motors occaisionally don't respond.  Brushes look good.  I suspect they are hanging up in their holders because after inspection the motors always run....also if you "mechanically agitate" the motor with a winch handle without disassembly I can get they to run long enough that I forget they can be finicky.

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37
Bath,  NC

On Sep 5, 2017 6:58 PM, "milesbid@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hello all,

The outhaul motor on Ladybug has stopped working.  The circuit breakers and solenoids are alright so I am looking for bushes and bushes for the motor. 

Can anyone tell the frame size of the outhaul motor and hardness of the brushes?  

Thanks in advance,

MIles

SM 216 Ladybug, moored in Newport, RI harbor.


Spare Parts

eric freedman
 

New subject

 

 

Bill,

When I took delivery at Amel, I saw the plastic Vetus mufflers I bought spares at a marine plumbing store

In the marina.

 

The store was only marine plumbing. I also bought the coolest set of 4 propane / butane adapters that fits

any filling hose to the propane tanks on Kimberlite.

 

Years later one crewmember said they think something is wrong in the engine room, there was black smoke coming out of the kitchen sink,

I opened the hatch and could not see the motor. I went down with the cockpit shower and wet the muffler down, I think there is a photo of it on this site,

When I asked my sailing buddy to get out the spare muffler the other 2 guys rolled their eyes—

The engine raw water pump was pumping enough water to prevent the engine alarm from going off but not enough to keep the muffler full of water.

 

The plate on the pump was leaking a little air.

I now have a metal muffler on the Yanmar.

 

With respect to spares, when I received the parts manuals for the engine and genset, I highlighted all the parts I could change, I then bought all those parts. I also bought every spare pump and motor,

Starter motors and the 3 alternators. Also a complete gasket set.

 

I once had the valve cover come loose on the yanmar spilling 2 or 3 quarts of oil on the engine room sole, and chopping up the valve cover gasket. It sure was good to have a spare valve cover gasket.

 

I just spoke with Jeff  Kraus he is hunkering down in Puerto Rico on the boat.

The Hurricane prediction for all of Puerto Rico looks grim.

I will keep you posted.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

 

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 5:49 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

 

 

Eric,

 

I bow to your prowess on spares. I also know that you have a spare 175 amp alternator.

 

Best,

 

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  
http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

 

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 3:00 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Bill,

How about spare Vetus Mufflers?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogro ups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 5:18 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

 

 

Eric,

 

With a spare bow thruster motor, you win.

 

Best

 

CW Bill Rouse

Admiral, Texas Navy

Commander Emeritus

< div>

Amel School www.amelschool.com

720 Winnie St

Galveston Island, TX 77550

 

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 9:55 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Bill,

I do not know who has/had  more spares You on BeBe, Alexandre on Nikimat, or Kimberlite.

Fair Winds

Eric

 

 

From: amelyachtowners @yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 10:28 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

 

 

Eric,

 

You are lucky to have a new AFMA pump. We can no longer buy them.

 

Best

 

CW Bill Rouse

Admiral, Texas Navy

Commander Emeritus

Amel School www.amelschool.com

720 Winnie St

Galveston Island, TX 77550

 

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 9:23 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

My Amfa domestic water pump was leaking.

I removed the pump and found that the circlip that holds the pumps shaft seal was broken and worked its w ay into the side of the seal. I removed the seal and found it also had a small chip in it.

I ordered the metric seal from a local supplier and also the circlip from McMaster.

Being that I had a complete spare pump I installed it.

The pump would not pump water. I added water in the output side of the pump and it flooded the bronze impeller.

I was quire frustrated.

I assumed there was something wrong with the new pumps impell er. I took it apart, everything was 100%.

I was working on the saloon table and had the old pump next to the new one. Luckily I noticed that the Square D switch was wired backwards from the new switch. Thus the pump was running backwards. I switched the wires and Voila- Water.

Possibly this might help someone installing a new amfa pump.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

 

 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

eric freedman
 

Bill,

When I took delivery at Amel, I saw the plastic Vetus mufflers I bought spares at a marine plumbing store

In the marina.

 

The store was only marine plumbing. I also bought the coolest set of 4 propane / butane adapters that fits

any filling hose to the propane tanks on Kimberlite.

 

Years later one crewmember said they think something is wrong in the engine room, there was black smoke coming out of the kitchen sink,

I opened the hatch and could not see the motor. I went down with the cockpit shower and wet the muffler down, I think there is a photo of it on this site,

When I asked my sailing buddy to get out the spare muffler the other 2 guys rolled their eyes—

The engine raw water pump was pumping enough water to prevent the engine alarm from going off but not enough to keep the muffler full of water.

 

The plate on the pump was leaking a little air.

I now have a metal muffler on the Yanmar.

 

With respect to spares, when I received the parts manuals for the engine and genset, I highlighted all the parts I could change, I then bought all those parts. I also bought every spare pump and motor,

Starter motors and the 3 alternators. Also a complete gasket set.

 

I once had the valve cover come loose on the yanmar spilling 2 or 3 quarts of oil on the engine room sole, and chopping up the valve cover gasket. It sure was good to have a spare valve cover gasket.

 

I just spoke with Jeff  Kraus he is hunkering down in Puerto Rico on the boat.

The Hurricane prediction for all of Puerto Rico looks grim.

I will keep you posted.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

 

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 5:49 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

 

 

Eric,

 

I bow to your prowess on spares. I also know that you have a spare 175 amp alternator.

 

Best,

 

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  
http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

 

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 3:00 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Bill,

How about spare Vetus Mufflers?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogro ups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 5:18 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

 

 

Eric,

 

With a spare bow thruster motor, you win.

 

Best

 

CW Bill Rouse

Admiral, Texas Navy

Commander Emeritus

< div>

Amel School www.amelschool.com

720 Winnie St

Galveston Island, TX 77550

 

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 9:55 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Bill,

I do not know who has/had  more spares You on BeBe, Alexandre on Nikimat, or Kimberlite.

Fair Winds

Eric

 

 

From: amelyachtowners @yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 10:28 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

 

 

Eric,

 

You are lucky to have a new AFMA pump. We can no longer buy them.

 

Best

 

CW Bill Rouse

Admiral, Texas Navy

Commander Emeritus

Amel School www.amelschool.com

720 Winnie St

Galveston Island, TX 77550

 

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 9:23 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

My Amfa domestic water pump was leaking.

I removed the pump and found that the circlip that holds the pumps shaft seal was broken and worked its w ay into the side of the seal. I removed the seal and found it also had a small chip in it.

I ordered the metric seal from a local supplier and also the circlip from McMaster.

Being that I had a complete spare pump I installed it.

The pump would not pump water. I added water in the output side of the pump and it flooded the bronze impeller.

I was quire frustrated.

I assumed there was something wrong with the new pumps impell er. I took it apart, everything was 100%.

I was working on the saloon table and had the old pump next to the new one. Luckily I noticed that the Square D switch was wired backwards from the new switch. Thus the pump was running backwards. I switched the wires and Voila- Water.

Possibly this might help someone installing a new amfa pump.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

 

 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Nav Instruments on SM

Peter Jaeger
 

Bill,
I installed the NMEA Paddlewheel, conncted it to my Hydra 330 and to my NMEA multiplexer, now I have SOG on the Hydra System. The only "tricky" thing was the baud rate of the second output of the multiplexer, per default it is set to highspeed (38400) 4800 is correct for NMEA Paddlewheel. But now it is up and running. I am quite happy with the solution, thank you for this tip.
The only thing I do not understand, the Speed on the FFD's shows about 1kn higher thanthe analog instrument. Can I configure them separately? In the manuel I only found how to configure speed for the hydra system, not for singles instruments.

Peter 

SY Wilson, SM#003, La Rochelle

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail für iPad

Am Montag, Februar 27, 2017, 23:26 schrieb 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]

 

Peter,

It sounds like you may be looking for another option...

One option is to display SOG on the analog B&G cockpit gauges and on the Hydra FFD rather than SOW by installing a NMEA paddlewheel. 

The NMEA Paddlewheel device connects to a data port on the GPS, reads the GPS NMEA sentences and finds SOG. It then translates that SOG into B&G language as SOW. If you are a sailing purest, SOW may be important to you if you must know how much current is impacting your SOG, but remember SOG is what really counts and gets you where you are going. 

This solution may be the best for you. It is simple to install: 2 wires connect to 12VDC at the Hydra toggle switch, 2 wires connect to NMEA data OUT on your GPS and 2 wires connect to the B&G computer at the same place that sonic speed or paddlewheel connect.


NMEA Paddlewheel

NMEA Paddlewheel

The NMEA Paddlewheel converts NMEA from either a GPS or electromagnetic log to a paddlewheel output suitable for connecting directly to an instrument system, such as a B&G Hydra/Hercules.

Retail price £295.00

Bill
BeBe 387


On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM, mallamok@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi everybody

Since one year I am refitting a older SM in La Rochelle (1989, SM #3).

I am quite happy, the old Lady is pretty again.

I installed a new Radar (Simrad 4G), an NAIS 400 and both are connected to a Lowrance HDS10 1 Gen. Works excellent. The B&G equippment is the original one, a Hydra 330, with 4 analog Instruments in the Cockpit (no NMEA), one Hydra330 FFD at the Chart table and one Hydra2 FFD, both none NMEA:

The sonic Speed is not working correctly anymore, the is Speed, but never more than 2 knots, regardless of the SOG on the GPS. Since there are no spares anymore for the Sonic Speed from B@G, Stephane from Pochon recommend a Ultra Sonic Speed Sensor from NKE, which should be compatible with my Hydra, good News but.... it is about 1000 Euro!

My dream is to have the Hydra upgraded to NMEA Protocoll, to have wind and Autopilot connected (also an old Autohelm ST700, Type300, Rotary Drive Type2).

What do you experienced guys recommend, shall I keep/upgrade my old Equipment (I already replaced the wind 321 when I bought my boat) or shall I replace the old ones with a Triton or Raymarine System. One reason why I am asking: I like the analoge Instruments in the Cockpit more than digital ones. But I am afraid that upgrading is much more expensive. Good advices are very wellcome.

Cheers

Peter

SY Wilson, SM#003, La Rochelle



motors for outhaul and furling

Miles
 

Hello all,

The outhaul motor on Ladybug has stopped working.  The circuit breakers and solenoids are alright so I am looking for bushes and bushes for the motor. 

Can anyone tell the frame size of the outhaul motor and hardness of the brushes?  

Thanks in advance,

MIles

SM 216 Ladybug, moored in Newport, RI harbor.


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Eric,

I bow to your prowess on spares. I also know that you have a spare 175 amp alternator.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 3:00 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Bill,

How about spare Vetus Mufflers?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogro ups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 5:18 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

 

 

Eric,

 

With a spare bow thruster motor, you win.

 

Best

 

CW Bill Rouse

Admiral, Texas Navy

Commander Emeritus

< div>

Amel School www.amelschool.com

720 Winnie St

Galveston Island, TX 77550

 

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 9:55 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Bill,

I do not know who has/had  more spares You on BeBe, Alexandre on Nikimat, or Kimberlite.

Fair Winds

Eric

 

 

From: amelyachtowners @yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 10:28 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amfa domestic watrer pump.wired backwards from the factory.

 

 

Eric,

 

You are lucky to have a new AFMA pump. We can no longer buy them.

 

Best

 

CW Bill Rouse

Admiral, Texas Navy

Commander Emeritus

Amel School www.amelschool.com

720 Winnie St

Galveston Island, TX 77550

 

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 9:23 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

My Amfa domestic water pump was leaking.

I removed the pump and found that the circlip that holds the pumps shaft seal was broken and worked its w ay into the side of the seal. I removed the seal and found it also had a small chip in it.

I ordered the metric seal from a local supplier and also the circlip from McMaster.

Being that I had a complete spare pump I installed it.

The pump would not pump water. I added water in the output side of the pump and it flooded the bronze impeller.

I was quire frustrated.

I assumed there was something wrong with the new pumps impell er. I took it apart, everything was 100%.

I was working on the saloon table and had the old pump next to the new one. Luckily I noticed that the Square D switch was wired backwards from the new switch. Thus the pump was running backwards. I switched the wires and Voila- Water.

Possibly this might help someone installing a new amfa pump.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376