Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furling Gearbox Differences

John Clark
 

Hi Craig,
   We saw your boat at Oriental NC,  but couldn't find you before we left.  
I too was surprised that the cooling fins did not interfere with the mast.  I was prepared to grind them off,  which isn't too big of a job as it is aluminium and easy to take off metal.  

I agree with you on the zirc fittings,  if my original gears had fittings they would still be on the boat.  Bill R,  cautioned to replace fittings with plastic caps when not greasing to prevent galvanic corrosion.    

   Regards,  John

SV Annie. SM 37.


On Nov 7, 2017 8:22 AM, "sangaris@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

hi John,

As I noted, you do have to grind the fins on the SN, Sounds like the SM mast section is a bit bigger.
And, Ian, I had to remove the boom and use a hydraulic bench press to remove the shaft from the line tender. Since it has a woodruff key I did sand it down a fraction when I reinstalled it so next time should be easier. Also, you'll want a proper drill press with long bits to drill the holes. Also, since you'll be opening the unit the factory gear oil will seep out - suggest using grease on reassembly and add Zerk fittings for periodic maintenance. I never had much luck with the paint lasting very long, but your technique sounds good, Wonder if a 2-part like Awlgrip might be more durable. I had though of having it powder coated but didn't want to remove the rubber plug and seals.
Good luck with it,
Craig SN#68


---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Hi All,
   I replaced both outhaul and mainsail furler bonfig  gearboxes and did not have to grind down either one.  Both were bolt on replacement.

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37

On Nov 6, 2017 6:24 PM, "Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

For information, I have 2 NEW Bonfiglioli for sale.
http://nikimat.com/parts_for_ sale/bonfiglioli_model_vf44_ p1_70_p63_b14_b370_1_ reduction.html

Preferably pick up in Sint Maarten, but can ship.

Sincerely, Alexandre

------------------------------ --------------

On Mon, 11/6/17, Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furling Gearbox Differences
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM


 









Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one
down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very
similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium
etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation,
but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!



Ian



Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)








Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sea cock & thru hulls

Ian Park
 

Agree Craig,
When I first saw just holes and no bronze on the outside of the hull I thought ?????
Then seeing the glassfibre standpipes with the valves on top - someone’s done this for a reason. Then I discovered all the other strange anomalies of the AMEL that only make sense when you’ve owned one for at least a year. And I’m still discovering.
Anyone noticed why all Amels have ivory decks when everyone else has a glaring, blinding white deck? Why the wavy non slip doesn’t hurt bare feet like the modern diagonal spiky ones do? The insight into dear Capt. Henri’s mind is just overwhelming. No one designed boats like he did.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sea cock & thru hulls

Craig Briggs
 

Miles,

In your case I, too, would opt for, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Then again, you should be able to just unscrew the ball valve from the glassed-in through-hull without disturbing the fiberglass. Then disassemble the valve, clean it up and reassemble if it looks good, which I suspect it is. Mine had become difficult to operate and the clean up has them like new. Will definitely do this every decade or so. 

Cheers,
Craig Briggs, SN#68, back in Ft Pierce, FL


---In amelyachtowners@..., <smilesbernard@...> wrote :

Hi James thanks for your thoughts on his and although I'm new to the amel family I'd agree that the original fittings seem really top quality

I'm  assuming I would leave the original bronze(?) glassed in hull fitting but wondering about replacing just the valve which I believe is non marine. 

I'll have the boat out of the water over the Christmas period so wondering if I should lol to replace these ball valves at that point. Given they look so newly fitted and in good shape i suspect I'll vote for the lazy option!

All the very best and thanks for your input on this

Fair winds

Miles  



Re: phased electronics replacement

Duane Siegfri
 

Bill,

Thanks for sharing your electronics plan/setup!

One question though, did the Furuno radar interface with your B&G Zeus?  You mentioned you replaced it when it died and it sounded like that was after you installed the Zeus.  That would lower the entry price if I could just replace the chartplotter at the helm with one that had wifi, and could be picked up on a laptop below.

Oh, one more question, what size monitor did you put at the helm and are you happy with the size?

Thanks again!
Duane
Wanderer


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sea cock & thru hulls

smiles bernard
 

Hi James thanks for your thoughts on his and although I'm new to the amel family I'd agree that the original fittings seem really top quality

I'm  assuming I would leave the original bronze(?) glassed in hull fitting but wondering about replacing just the valve which I believe is non marine. 

I'll have the boat out of the water over the Christmas period so wondering if I should lol to replace these ball valves at that point. Given they look so newly fitted and in good shape i suspect I'll vote for the lazy option!

All the very best and thanks for your input on this

Fair winds

Miles  


On 8 Nov 2017, at 17:29, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Miles,


   Perhaps a better question to be asking is whether the valves used by Amel provide good service.  A lot of things these days stamped “Marine” are of very poor quality so I am not sure that there is as much value in buying marine stuff these days as there used to be.  In general, I feel on my  Maramu that the materials and hardware selected by Amel were intended to last for a long time if properly cared for will do so.  With such a large fleet of Amels out there a lot of information is available to verify any concerns that you may have.  The glass is still intact  (with no evidence of the gelcoat being patched) on the ball valves installed on my boat so I assume that these same valves are all original, they still function fine (do not seep when closed) and show no obvious corrosion after 30 years of service.  I do grease these each season as has been recommended.  Once the boat is at my shop in Florida, I will remove all of these to carefully inspect and replace if indicated but in the meantime I not concerned about them.  I have over the years replaced a great many Marelon valves for customers that have seized up or began to leak so I would not consider a change to plastic to be an upgrade in anyway.  The longer I have owned my Amel, the less I have been inclined to change anything.   The changes I am considering are generally related to the upgrades that Amel made on the latter boats.  The advice being given on this board to live with your boat as is for a while before making changes is on target IMO.

Best,

James
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Nov 6, 2017, at 4:14 PM, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from smiles bernard included below]

Hi there
My maramu seems to have non marine ball valves fitted as seacocks 

Whilst they look new I assume I should replace these with marelon or something equivalent 

At the risk of asking a daft question . . These Amel Thru hulls are new to me. Is there a threaded section glassed into the through hull? If so is this metal or a plastic?
It'd be a great help to know before I attempt something stupid !

Many thanks in advance

Miles 
Maramu #162




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sea cock & thru hulls

smiles bernard
 

Hi there Ryan

When I had the boat surveyed the surveyor said he thought the valves were standard household plumbing fittings.

I think they are pretty new valves but before I take the family across the pond I wonder about replacing them

I also googled the codes. Thanks for trying this my search was somewhat inconclusive I'm afraid.


All the best

Miles


Re: Sea cock & thru hulls

carcodespam@icloud.com <no_reply@...>
 

As I wrote already these valves are the best available as of today for naval use.
You can get them from:
https://www.svb.de/de/maestrini-kugelhahn-bronze.html
or directly from the italien manufacturer:
http://www.maestrini.it/eng/bronze-body-ff-full-bore-ball-valve-stainless-steel-handle-5-12-191-1.html

Gerhard


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sea cock & thru hulls [1 Attachment]

James Alton
 

Miles,

   Perhaps a better question to be asking is whether the valves used by Amel provide good service.  A lot of things these days stamped “Marine” are of very poor quality so I am not sure that there is as much value in buying marine stuff these days as there used to be.  In general, I feel on my  Maramu that the materials and hardware selected by Amel were intended to last for a long time if properly cared for will do so.  With such a large fleet of Amels out there a lot of information is available to verify any concerns that you may have.  The glass is still intact  (with no evidence of the gelcoat being patched) on the ball valves installed on my boat so I assume that these same valves are all original, they still function fine (do not seep when closed) and show no obvious corrosion after 30 years of service.  I do grease these each season as has been recommended.  Once the boat is at my shop in Florida, I will remove all of these to carefully inspect and replace if indicated but in the meantime I not concerned about them.  I have over the years replaced a great many Marelon valves for customers that have seized up or began to leak so I would not consider a change to plastic to be an upgrade in anyway.  The longer I have owned my Amel, the less I have been inclined to change anything.   The changes I am considering are generally related to the upgrades that Amel made on the latter boats.  The advice being given on this board to live with your boat as is for a while before making changes is on target IMO.

Best,

James
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Nov 6, 2017, at 4:14 PM, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from smiles bernard included below]

Hi there
My maramu seems to have non marine ball valves fitted as seacocks 

Whilst they look new I assume I should replace these with marelon or something equivalent 

At the risk of asking a daft question . . These Amel Thru hulls are new to me. Is there a threaded section glassed into the through hull? If so is this metal or a plastic?
It'd be a great help to know before I attempt something stupid !

Many thanks in advance

Miles 
Maramu #162




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sea cock & thru hulls

Ryan Meador
 

Why do you believe this valve is non-marine?  It looks like bronze to me, but I wasn't able to find anything from googling the letters/numbers visible in the photo.

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 5:57 PM, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi there christian
Many thanks for your reply
So I use a couple of big wrenched. Lock the lowest nut visible on my picture with one and unwind the seacock body with the other?
And the lowest nut is permanently glassed into place and should not need replacing. 

Many thanks again and all the best

Miles


On 7 Nov 2017, at 06:26, christian alby calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

good dau to you

seacocks are glassed in, goes all the way up to the hexagonal nut on the valve; if the valve does not budge use an electric file sander (makita or other) to clean nut and use heavy wrench to unscrew.
seacocks are very good quality bronze.

fair winds
christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - Santa Cruz de Tenerife





Le ‎lundi‎ ‎6‎ ‎novembre‎ ‎2017‎ ‎21‎:‎15‎:‎05‎ ‎CET, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> a écrit :


 
[Attachment(s) from smiles bernard included below]

Hi there
My maramu seems to have non marine ball valves fitted as seacocks

Whilst they look new I assume I should replace these with marelon or something equivalent

At the risk of asking a daft question . . These Amel Thru hulls are new to me. Is there a threaded section glassed into the through hull? If so is this metal or a plastic?
It'd be a great help to know before I attempt something stupid !

Many thanks in advance

Miles
Maramu #162




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furling Gearbox Differences

Stephen Davis
 

Hey John,

Were these gearboxes acquired from Amel or from other sources. If from another source, can you forward that info to me. 

Thanks,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Panama

On Nov 7, 2017, at 00:32, John Clark john.biohead@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi All,
   I replaced both outhaul and mainsail furler bonfig  gearboxes and did not have to grind down either one.  Both were bolt on replacement.

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37

On Nov 6, 2017 6:24 PM, "Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

For information, I have 2 NEW Bonfiglioli for sale.
http://nikimat.com/parts_for_sale/bonfiglioli_model_vf44_p1_70_p63_b14_b370_1_reduction.html

Preferably pick up in Sint Maarten, but can ship.

Sincerely, Alexandre

--------------------------------------------
On Mon, 11/6/17, Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furling Gearbox Differences
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM


 









Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one
down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very
similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium
etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation,
but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!



Ian



Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)







Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sea cock & thru hulls

smiles bernard
 

Hi there christian
Many thanks for your reply
So I use a couple of big wrenched. Lock the lowest nut visible on my picture with one and unwind the seacock body with the other?
And the lowest nut is permanently glassed into place and should not need replacing. 

Many thanks again and all the best

Miles


On 7 Nov 2017, at 06:26, christian alby calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

good dau to you

seacocks are glassed in, goes all the way up to the hexagonal nut on the valve; if the valve does not budge use an electric file sander (makita or other) to clean nut and use heavy wrench to unscrew.
seacocks are very good quality bronze.

fair winds
christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - Santa Cruz de Tenerife





Le ‎lundi‎ ‎6‎ ‎novembre‎ ‎2017‎ ‎21‎:‎15‎:‎05‎ ‎CET, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> a écrit :


 
[Attachment(s) from smiles bernard included below]

Hi there
My maramu seems to have non marine ball valves fitted as seacocks

Whilst they look new I assume I should replace these with marelon or something equivalent

At the risk of asking a daft question . . These Amel Thru hulls are new to me. Is there a threaded section glassed into the through hull? If so is this metal or a plastic?
It'd be a great help to know before I attempt something stupid !

Many thanks in advance

Miles
Maramu #162



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: phased electronics replacement

Heinz Stutenbaeumer
 

Hi Bill and all,

I am relatively new to the group and have been a proud owner of a SM 2000 for about a year now.

 

I'm up to do something similar with my SY Quetzal.

I want to install new instruments and I will install a forward scan.

 

I'd be interested to see if I could join the old autopilot.

Also a connection to the ld and good working Furono Radar would inspire me.

 

Are there any pictures you could send to me?

I'd be grateful for any information.

Also from other participants of the group.

 

I fly to Martinique on the 18th and will then start work and do some Fotos.

Thank you for every letter,

and forgive my poor English

 

Always fare winds.

Heinz Stutenbäumer

Quetzal SM 2000 No. 292

 

heinz@...

 

Von: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 7. November 2017 21:52
An: amelyachtowners@...
Betreff: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: phased electronics replacement

 

 

We have gone the "phased approach" over the last two years.  When we bought our boat it was pretty much the original electronics kit from 1996.  Everything worked...  but I was really used to a much higher level of functionality and user friendliness that it could supply.

 

Our initial change was to go with a B&G Zeus Touch 12 MFD mounted in a Navpod at the helm.  The NMEA0183 output from the Hydra was connected to the MFD input.  The MFD takes that, and echoes the data out on the NMEA2000 bus for use by anybody else who needs it.  That meant that the new and the old played together well, and none of the old instruments ever had to be replaced because of communication incompatibilities with the new.

 

The vintage Furuno GPS became redundant, and was removed.

 

We added a B&G Rate Compass, and a B&G AC42 autopilot computer.

 

We eventually added 2 Triton displays.  We removed the original B&G Analog Depth display, and kept everything else--for now.  They were really great displays in their day, but I hardly ever look at them--the Tritons supply way more information in a very usable format.

 

We added a B&G Sounder module, and a new transducer to get us better information about what's under the boat.  We take our fishing pretty seriously, so that was important!

 

A CS4500 speed transducer was interfaced to the Sounder Module, and has proven to be a functional and reliable device.  Our sonic speed still works, after a fashion.  But it very susceptible to electrical interference from other devices so we don't rely on it much.

 

When the Furuno Radar died, we dropped a B&G 3G radar in to replace it, also a change we are very happy with.  Having the radar display at the helm suits the way we handle the boat much better than having it only at the nav station.

 

The original wind instrument works, and we will keep it for the foreseeable future. The Hydra's only real function at this point is to accept and transmit that wind data to the MFD.  I haven't seen a wind instrument that adds enough functionality to the system to justify replacement of all that hardware and wiring.

 

Once we had the NMEA2000 backbone created, adding things incrementally has been pretty easy.  The boat came with a Raymarine AIS650, that was only ever connected to a laptop for display.  Connecting its "Seatalk II" output to the NMEA2000 bus was just a matter of a simple conversion cable, and it was working with everything else happily.

 

At this point, we do not have any significant electronic wish list items.  The newer generation of Triton displays did not add enough to make us covet them.  The newer MFDs also haven't jumped far enough ahead for us to be unhappy with what we have.

 

Better sonar is always something I am looking for...

 

I think the key take-away for you is that none of the changes we made forced the timing to make others.  They were pretty much all independent decisions, and everything worked together as the changes proceeded.  The key was getting the Hydra data re-broadcast on the NMEA2K bus.  That made everything else easy.

 

Bill Kinney

SM160, Harmonie

LMC, Fort Lauderdale, FL

 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Problems hooking up new Bamar EJF 1.0 to new Boxtron E14s Any help appreciated!

Mohammad Shirloo
 

Hi Porter;
 
I cannot help much with the Bamar issue as we are still using the belt driven units and hoping to get a few more years out of them.
 
As far as the bow locker, ours is very dry and no sign of humidity at all. I'm always pleasantly surprised to open the bow locker and smell, what seems to be, fresh fiberglass resin smell. When we purchased her, Olivier did the survey and noticed that some moisture had previously come in from the mounting bolts of the anchor plate in the front of the locker. We did tighten these bolts and have not seen any moisture since. However, even then, we never noticed any kind of moisture or any smell of humidity.
 
I would check the anchor plate bolts in the front and possibly the windlass deck switches for any sign of moisture penetration.
 
Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099


From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 1:43 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Problems hooking up new Bamar EJF 1.0 to new Boxtron E14s Any help appreciated!

Dear Amelians, Likely 54ians,


After the prescribed repeat frustrations with the OEM Bamar “Magic” EJFs, I finally decided to make the switch to new Bamar direct drive EJF 1.0s.

They are newly installed on the Foc and Trinquet, forestay and inner forestay.  Wires run below decks to the bow locker and to 2 new E14 Boxtrons.  

24v feed is good to both.  power from both (Foc and Trinquet) furling switches is good.

Today I worked with Nance and Underwood here in fort lauderdale as well as a stumped rigging marine electrician who hooked up the E14s as they should.  

We find the following:  with E14 and trinket furling switch a click in the furler motor housing, but no rotation.  If we hook up same wiring to an old and existing EM Boxtron, furler works!

Dispite much rewiring, no EJF rotation with the E14.  This occurs with both the new furlers.  

The electrician is stumped.  Bamar NA no return phone call.

Any thoughts?  

Very appreciated.



Second question:  is the bow locker always very humid?  I’ve re-greased the gasket and tightened the screws.  still seems very humid.  Anyone installed a ventilation fan?



Thanks again.  

Porter


Porter McRoberts
954 684 8586c
S/V Ibis: Amel 54-#152
Ft. Lauderdale
www.fouribis.com
portermcroberts@...








Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Problems hooking up new Bamar EJF 1.0 to new Boxtron E14s Any help appreciated!

Porter McRoberts
 

Excellent Ideas.  I think I am going to hangout in there during a rainstorm and see what we get. 
Thank you both!

Porter


Porter McRoberts
S/V Ibis: Amel 54-#152
Ft. Lauderdale
www.fouribis.com
portermcroberts@...







On Nov 7, 2017, at 4:57 PM, 'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


Hi Porter;
 
I cannot help much with the Bamar issue as we are still using the belt driven units and hoping to get a few more years out of them.
 
As far as the bow locker, ours is very dry and no sign of humidity at all. I'm always pleasantly surprised to open the bow locker and smell, what seems to be, fresh fiberglass resin smell. When we purchased her, Olivier did the survey and noticed that some moisture had previously come in from the mounting bolts of the anchor plate in the front of the locker. We did tighten these bolts and have not seen any moisture since. However, even then, we never noticed any kind of moisture or any smell of humidity.
 
I would check the anchor plate bolts in the front and possibly the windlass deck switches for any sign of moisture penetration.
 
Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099


From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 1:43 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Problems hooking up new Bamar EJF 1.0 to new Boxtron E14s Any help appreciated!

Dear Amelians, Likely 54ians,


After the prescribed repeat frustrations with the OEM Bamar “Magic” EJFs, I finally decided to make the switch to new Bamar direct drive EJF 1.0s.

They are newly installed on the Foc and Trinquet, forestay and inner forestay.  Wires run below decks to the bow locker and to 2 new E14 Boxtrons.  

24v feed is good to both.  power from both (Foc and Trinquet) furling switches is good.

Today I worked with Nance and Underwood here in fort lauderdale as well as a stumped rigging marine electrician who hooked up the E14s as they should.  

We find the following:  with E14 and trinket furling switch a click in the furler motor housing, but no rotation.  If we hook up same wiring to an old and existing EM Boxtron, furler works!

Dispite much rewiring, no EJF rotation with the E14.  This occurs with both the new furlers.  

The electrician is stumped.  Bamar NA no return phone call.

Any thoughts?  

Very appreciated.



Second question:  is the bow locker always very humid?  I’ve re-greased the gasket and tightened the screws.  still seems very humid.  Anyone installed a ventilation fan?



Thanks again.  

Porter


Porter McRoberts
954 684 8586c
S/V Ibis: Amel 54-#152
Ft. Lauderdale
www.fouribis.com
portermcroberts@...










Problems hooking up new Bamar EJF 1.0 to new Boxtron E14s Any help appreciated!

Porter McRoberts
 

Dear Amelians, Likely 54ians,


After the prescribed repeat frustrations with the OEM Bamar “Magic” EJFs, I finally decided to make the switch to new Bamar direct drive EJF 1.0s.

They are newly installed on the Foc and Trinquet, forestay and inner forestay.  Wires run below decks to the bow locker and to 2 new E14 Boxtrons.  

24v feed is good to both.  power from both (Foc and Trinquet) furling switches is good.

Today I worked with Nance and Underwood here in fort lauderdale as well as a stumped rigging marine electrician who hooked up the E14s as they should.  

We find the following:  with E14 and trinket furling switch a click in the furler motor housing, but no rotation.  If we hook up same wiring to an old and existing EM Boxtron, furler works!

Dispite much rewiring, no EJF rotation with the E14.  This occurs with both the new furlers.  

The electrician is stumped.  Bamar NA no return phone call.

Any thoughts?  

Very appreciated.



Second question:  is the bow locker always very humid?  I’ve re-greased the gasket and tightened the screws.  still seems very humid.  Anyone installed a ventilation fan?



Thanks again.  

Porter


Porter McRoberts
954 684 8586c
S/V Ibis: Amel 54-#152
Ft. Lauderdale
www.fouribis.com
portermcroberts@...








Re: phased electronics replacement

greatketch@...
 

We have gone the "phased approach" over the last two years.  When we bought our boat it was pretty much the original electronics kit from 1996.  Everything worked...  but I was really used to a much higher level of functionality and user friendliness that it could supply.

Our initial change was to go with a B&G Zeus Touch 12 MFD mounted in a Navpod at the helm.  The NMEA0183 output from the Hydra was connected to the MFD input.  The MFD takes that, and echoes the data out on the NMEA2000 bus for use by anybody else who needs it.  That meant that the new and the old played together well, and none of the old instruments ever had to be replaced because of communication incompatibilities with the new.

The vintage Furuno GPS became redundant, and was removed.

We added a B&G Rate Compass, and a B&G AC42 autopilot computer.

We eventually added 2 Triton displays.  We removed the original B&G Analog Depth display, and kept everything else--for now.  They were really great displays in their day, but I hardly ever look at them--the Tritons supply way more information in a very usable format.

We added a B&G Sounder module, and a new transducer to get us better information about what's under the boat.  We take our fishing pretty seriously, so that was important!

A CS4500 speed transducer was interfaced to the Sounder Module, and has proven to be a functional and reliable device.  Our sonic speed still works, after a fashion.  But it very susceptible to electrical interference from other devices so we don't rely on it much.

When the Furuno Radar died, we dropped a B&G 3G radar in to replace it, also a change we are very happy with.  Having the radar display at the helm suits the way we handle the boat much better than having it only at the nav station.

The original wind instrument works, and we will keep it for the foreseeable future. The Hydra's only real function at this point is to accept and transmit that wind data to the MFD.  I haven't seen a wind instrument that adds enough functionality to the system to justify replacement of all that hardware and wiring.

Once we had the NMEA2000 backbone created, adding things incrementally has been pretty easy.  The boat came with a Raymarine AIS650, that was only ever connected to a laptop for display.  Connecting its "Seatalk II" output to the NMEA2000 bus was just a matter of a simple conversion cable, and it was working with everything else happily.

At this point, we do not have any significant electronic wish list items.  The newer generation of Triton displays did not add enough to make us covet them.  The newer MFDs also haven't jumped far enough ahead for us to be unhappy with what we have.

Better sonar is always something I am looking for...

I think the key take-away for you is that none of the changes we made forced the timing to make others.  They were pretty much all independent decisions, and everything worked together as the changes proceeded.  The key was getting the Hydra data re-broadcast on the NMEA2K bus.  That made everything else easy.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
LMC, Fort Lauderdale, FL


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] replacing Climma controls

Ryan Meador
 

Hi Ken,
I think you may have been addressing that question to me.  Unfortunately, I have not yet had a chance to install my new controller.  I've been very busy with other things.  I better get to it soon, though, since it's going to go below freezing this week!

The instructions and conversations I've had with Micro Air indicate that the heater can be powered directly from the FX-2 controller without a triac if it draws less than 10A (via the reverse cycle valve output).  My heater draws less than 6A.

I'm glad it's working for you.  That gives me hope!

Thanks,
Ryan

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Ken Powers sailingaquarius@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Did you get yours installed yet?

Ken aboard Aquarius
Currently in Santa Marta Columbia


On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:33 AM, "Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
Good morning Ken,
Glad your air conditioning is working great with the new controller!
Definitely looks like you needed the help of a good air conditioning person to make everything work!
Sincerely, Alexandre

--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 11/7/17, Ken Powers sailingaquarius@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] replacing Climma controls
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 6:13 AM


 









Hello
Alexandre,
The
Micro Air switch/controller is now installed, but used the
help of a good electrical/Aircon Guy to help do it.  Alone,
I would have never got the switch to work.
I
have not connected the heater function because needed a
Triac switch, and I didn't have one.  Didn't know
about the required switch until during
installation.
The
other thing I didn't know..  You have to use the old
Run Cap for the Fan Motor.  The fan will not run with out
it, and I believe it should go in series with the brown
wire.  Yes, I believe the brown wire is connected to the
end of the run cap, and the other end of the run cap is
connected to the Micro Air control box.  This, I would have
never known given the instructions.
Also,
you have to use the Start Cap, and the Run Caps for the
compressor.  But this is shown in the
documentation.
The
controller is working great, but have not figured out how to
use the switch over wifi.  Very, Very Happy with the
current set up now, and everything functioning good so
far...  
Ken
PowersAquarius
SM2K 262sailingaquarius.com



On Wednesday,
September 27, 2017 8:08 AM, "Ryan Meador
ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners]"
<amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:



 









Ken,Glad to hear you
arrived at the same conclusion.  We must have been talking
to these vendors at the same time.  I've opted not to
get the soft-start as I don't think I have one now and
it works fine.  I'm told the FX-2 can be configured
with a delayed start, replacing the timer module in the
existing system.  I look forward to hearing how it works
out for you, but I'm going to place my order today on
faith that it will work :)  There's a two-week lead
time and winter is fast approaching up here.
Alexandre,Thank you for
the photos and diagrams!  I was very sorry to hear of the
loss of your boat, and I'm very glad you're still
active in this community.  Your posts have helped me
invaluably as a new owner.
RyanSM 233
IterationBoston, MA, USA
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at
7:00 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:















 









Good morning Ryan,

Sorry about your problem…

I can not reply your question, but here is a link when I
swap the air conditioning

http://nikimat.com/air_
conditioning_climma_marine_ compact_9_eh.html

Some parts might be of interest for you such as Part 3 and
4

I would also look at Part 12, 22, 23, 24, etc.

As they are similar, I took different pictures and
illustrated better some parts than some other.

It will also familiarize you with what to expect, how it
looks, etc.



Hope that help.

Sincerely, Alexandre



------------------------------ --------------

On Tue, 9/26/17, Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@...
[amelyachtowners] com> wrote:



Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] replacing Climma controls

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 4:55 PM





 



















Hi all,One of the

mechanical Climma air conditioning control panels on my
boat

is not fully functional, and apparently these panels are
no

longer made.  After lengthy back and forth with

Veco/Climma, Coastal Climate Control, and Micro Air (all
of

which have been a pleasure to work with thus far), it
seems

the best path forward for me is to replace the entire

"brain" of the AC unit with the FX-2 from
Micro

Air and the associated EasyTouch control panel.  This
is

definitely overkill, but not significantly more difficult
or

expensive than any of the other options, and nets a bunch
of

new features (like dehumidify mode, day/time scheduling,
and

WiFi remote control).  I'm going to replace the

controls on all 3 units so they're all consistent and
I

can take full advantage of the new features.  I
especially

think it will be valuable for heating over the cold
Boston

winter.

Before I pull

the trigger, has anyone else done something like this? 
Any

tips or tricks?

Thanks,RyanSM

233 IterationBoston, MA, USA







Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furling Gearbox Differences

Craig Briggs
 

hi John,
As I noted, you do have to grind the fins on the SN, Sounds like the SM mast section is a bit bigger.
And, Ian, I had to remove the boom and use a hydraulic bench press to remove the shaft from the line tender. Since it has a woodruff key I did sand it down a fraction when I reinstalled it so next time should be easier. Also, you'll want a proper drill press with long bits to drill the holes. Also, since you'll be opening the unit the factory gear oil will seep out - suggest using grease on reassembly and add Zerk fittings for periodic maintenance. I never had much luck with the paint lasting very long, but your technique sounds good, Wonder if a 2-part like Awlgrip might be more durable. I had though of having it powder coated but didn't want to remove the rubber plug and seals.
Good luck with it,
Craig SN#68


---In amelyachtowners@..., <john.biohead@...> wrote :

Hi All,
   I replaced both outhaul and mainsail furler bonfig  gearboxes and did not have to grind down either one.  Both were bolt on replacement.

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37

On Nov 6, 2017 6:24 PM, "Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

For information, I have 2 NEW Bonfiglioli for sale.
http://nikimat.com/parts_for_ sale/bonfiglioli_model_vf44_ p1_70_p63_b14_b370_1_ reduction.html

Preferably pick up in Sint Maarten, but can ship.

Sincerely, Alexandre

------------------------------ --------------
On Mon, 11/6/17, Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furling Gearbox Differences
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com
Date: Monday, November 6, 2017, 3:11 PM


 









Just about to fit 2 new Bonfiglios. Grinding one
down to fit was easy as it is aluminium or something very
similar. Then you need to paint it. I used an aluminium
etching primer and the two or three one part top coats.

Not anticipating an easy job with the Anderson separation,
but I’ve got everyone’s notes to hand!



Ian



Ocean Hobo SN 96 (back in Grenada at last)







Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] replacing Climma controls

Ken Powers <sailingaquarius@...>
 

Did you get yours installed yet?

Ken aboard Aquarius
Currently in Santa Marta Columbia
sailingaquarius.com


On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:33 AM, "Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:


 
Good morning Ken,
Glad your air conditioning is working great with the new controller!
Definitely looks like you needed the help of a good air conditioning person to make everything work!
Sincerely, Alexandre

--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 11/7/17, Ken Powers sailingaquarius@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] replacing Climma controls
To: "amelyachtowners@..."
Date: Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 6:13 AM


 









Hello
Alexandre,
The
Micro Air switch/controller is now installed, but used the
help of a good electrical/Aircon Guy to help do it.  Alone,
I would have never got the switch to work.
I
have not connected the heater function because needed a
Triac switch, and I didn't have one.  Didn't know
about the required switch until during
installation.
The
other thing I didn't know..  You have to use the old
Run Cap for the Fan Motor.  The fan will not run with out
it, and I believe it should go in series with the brown
wire.  Yes, I believe the brown wire is connected to the
end of the run cap, and the other end of the run cap is
connected to the Micro Air control box.  This, I would have
never known given the instructions.
Also,
you have to use the Start Cap, and the Run Caps for the
compressor.  But this is shown in the
documentation.
The
controller is working great, but have not figured out how to
use the switch over wifi.  Very, Very Happy with the
current set up now, and everything functioning good so
far...  
Ken
PowersAquarius
SM2K 262sailingaquarius.com



On Wednesday,
September 27, 2017 8:08 AM, "Ryan Meador
ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners]"
wrote:



 









Ken,Glad to hear you
arrived at the same conclusion.  We must have been talking
to these vendors at the same time.  I've opted not to
get the soft-start as I don't think I have one now and
it works fine.  I'm told the FX-2 can be configured
with a delayed start, replacing the timer module in the
existing system.  I look forward to hearing how it works
out for you, but I'm going to place my order today on
faith that it will work :)  There's a two-week lead
time and winter is fast approaching up here.
Alexandre,Thank you for
the photos and diagrams!  I was very sorry to hear of the
loss of your boat, and I'm very glad you're still
active in this community.  Your posts have helped me
invaluably as a new owner.
RyanSM 233
IterationBoston, MA, USA
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at
7:00 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners]
wrote:















 









Good morning Ryan,

Sorry about your problem…

I can not reply your question, but here is a link when I
swap the air conditioning

http://nikimat.com/air_
conditioning_climma_marine_ compact_9_eh.html

Some parts might be of interest for you such as Part 3 and
4

I would also look at Part 12, 22, 23, 24, etc.

As they are similar, I took different pictures and
illustrated better some parts than some other.

It will also familiarize you with what to expect, how it
looks, etc.



Hope that help.

Sincerely, Alexandre



------------------------------ --------------

On Tue, 9/26/17, Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@...
[amelyachtowners] com> wrote:



Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] replacing Climma controls

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com

Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 4:55 PM





 



















Hi all,One of the

mechanical Climma air conditioning control panels on my
boat

is not fully functional, and apparently these panels are
no

longer made.  After lengthy back and forth with

Veco/Climma, Coastal Climate Control, and Micro Air (all
of

which have been a pleasure to work with thus far), it
seems

the best path forward for me is to replace the entire

"brain" of the AC unit with the FX-2 from
Micro

Air and the associated EasyTouch control panel.  This
is

definitely overkill, but not significantly more difficult
or

expensive than any of the other options, and nets a bunch
of

new features (like dehumidify mode, day/time scheduling,
and

WiFi remote control).  I'm going to replace the

controls on all 3 units so they're all consistent and
I

can take full advantage of the new features.  I
especially

think it will be valuable for heating over the cold
Boston

winter.

Before I pull

the trigger, has anyone else done something like this? 
Any

tips or tricks?

Thanks,RyanSM

233 IterationBoston, MA, USA






Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] leech length on mizzen ballooner on 54

Chuck_Kim_Joy
 

Hello Jeff,
I might go the same route. Please share your specifics and general price to watch for if you don’t mind. 

Chuck Joy #388


On Nov 7, 2017, at 4:44 AM, jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

I'm getting a sock made for the mizzen ballooner, and need that length. Thanks.


Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14