Date   

Re: Water Heater Hose Size on SM

Jim Anderson
 

Kent & the Group, I'm not aboard but recall that a standard U.S. size, 3/4", I think, fits perfectly for the black & yellow hoses. I used this when replacing the house fresh water pump and have had no leaks or issues.
For the Isotherm hot water heater, I ordered & received an IsoTherm brand mixing valve from a local chandlery some time ago but haven't yet installed it. At the time I didn't know this was a common part that I probably could've gotten at Home Depot or a plumbing supply house. 
Jim
SM 384 Sirena Azul, Seattle


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C-Drive Wear Bushiing Seal Removal trick by Amel

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Steve,

My first time I was helped by an "expert mechanic" who knew Amels...NOT!

He had 2 or 3 seal pullers, all of which broke. After about 3 hours the prop was off and another 3 hours and the seals were out.

Before my next haulout I received very well-written procedure from Gary Silver whose Amel knowledge I very much respect. I have used his original instructions since. His instructions call for drilling a small hole in the seal, then screwing a metal screw into the hole and pulling on the metal screw.

So, I was initiated to seal pulling devices by probably the wrong person, who BTW, called himself an expert and charged $90 an hour for 7 hours for a job that takes me about 1-2 hours. It was a great education, but unfortunately I developed certain prejudices from it.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail


On Dec 22, 2016 7:58 AM, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Bill,

Do you have this puller, and how well did it work at pulling your seals out? Seems like an easy solution if it will work in our application.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Or...  use a real seal puller...


Amazon.com: Lisle 58430 Shaft Type Seal Puller: Automotive

 



Much easier and less likely to damage the seal housing than using screwdrivers or other improvised solutions.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Hollywood FL





Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

Patrick McAneny
 

Vladimir, My mistake , I mistakenly read Steve's post from Aloha , thinking it was yours , We were sure your boat was much newer. Anyway , I do have a complete watermaker , I never used it so cannot attest to its condition and the flow rate tube is broken and needs to be replaced. It only operates off of 220v not 24v.
Pat


-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Dec 22, 2016 7:55 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

 
Vladimir, You wrote that your SM is a 1992, we were with you in the BVIs when you told us that you were going to look at it , Diane and I remember it being much newer. If it is a 1992 , I have an entire dessalator you can have ,it came out of a 1994 . I think its rated at 60 lt./hr.
Merry Christmas,
Pat & Diane


-----Original Message-----
From: Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Wed, Dec 21, 2016 5:13 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

 
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your advise. I will definitely consider Electromax. It looks and sound good. Probubly Canadian company AC motor is designed for 60 Hz AC. Amel generator make 50 Hz AC.  Did Electromax give you 50 Hz motor?
Vladimir
SM #345

On Dec 21, 2016 12:51 PM, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 
Hi Vladimir,

When I purchased my 1992 SM, it had the original watermaker in non working condition. It was going to be very expensive to repair, and I wanted higher capacity, so I decided to replace it with a different model. My criteria in selection were at least 30gph, built with mostly off the shelf and readily available components, and a reasonable purchase price. After considerable research, I purchased a watermaker from Electromax in Canada. I purchased it at the 2014 Annapolis boat show for $4600 delivered to my door in Florida. It is rated at 30gph, and built with non proprietary parts. Unlike the DESSALATOR, most functions are manual, and there is very little to go wrong. I do have the optional automatic solenoid valve installed which allows me to flush the membrane when we are not on the boat The kit arrived with plumbing fittings, hoses, filters, control panel, high pressure pump, low pressure pump, and the membrane. The process of ripping out the old system, and installing the new took me about a day and half. I was able to put the new control panel in the same place as the old with some simple modifications. Also, I've had great technical support from Electromax on the phone when needed.

We started using the watermaker last season when we reached the Caribbean, and have made about 1500 gallons to date with no issues. With the salinity and water temperature in this area, we seem to output between 32 to 34 gph, even though it's rated at 30gph. To each his own, but I greatly prefer a simple manual design with very little to go wrong, and components which are easy to find in most parts of the world.

Let me know if you need more info or pictures, and I'd be happy to help. Good luck on getting it figured out.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 
I have bought my 2002 Amel SM one year ago. Previous owner told me that the watermaker does not work. He told me that watermaker turns off in less than a minute after it turned on. Previous owner left on the boat a spare set of filters and membranes for DESSALATOR.
Watermaker repairman it Trinidad told me that I have to rebuild high pressure pump, check motors and probubly replace electronic control board.
I removed the pump with two motors. Both motors run fine without load. I have no reason to suspect a motor problem. I disassembled pump. As I expected all seals must be replaced. In addition I discovered that all 4 valves have to be replased because valve seats are deeply pitted. The plunger did not look good. DESSALATOR contact person recommended to replace pump head for € 875.00.
She also told me that watermaker control board and panel are outdated and replacement cost €1,812.00. She told me that probubly membrane housing end plates must be replaced because my watermaker was not running for long time. She recommended me to buy new DUO 60 watermaker for € 9,184.00.
I wonder what is good replacement for original watermaker? Should I stay with DESSALATOR brand or there are better and less expensive replacements? Please give me advise.
If someone have replaced original DESSALATOR watermaker and saved DESSALATOR parts, I probubly buy old control board, controlle panel ,pump and other parts.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

Patrick McAneny
 

Vladimir, You wrote that your SM is a 1992, we were with you in the BVIs when you told us that you were going to look at it , Diane and I remember it being much newer. If it is a 1992 , I have an entire dessalator you can have ,it came out of a 1994 . I think its rated at 60 lt./hr.
Merry Christmas,
Pat & Diane


-----Original Message-----
From: Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Wed, Dec 21, 2016 5:13 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

 
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your advise. I will definitely consider Electromax. It looks and sound good. Probubly Canadian company AC motor is designed for 60 Hz AC. Amel generator make 50 Hz AC.  Did Electromax give you 50 Hz motor?
Vladimir
SM #345

On Dec 21, 2016 12:51 PM, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 
Hi Vladimir,

When I purchased my 1992 SM, it had the original watermaker in non working condition. It was going to be very expensive to repair, and I wanted higher capacity, so I decided to replace it with a different model. My criteria in selection were at least 30gph, built with mostly off the shelf and readily available components, and a reasonable purchase price. After considerable research, I purchased a watermaker from Electromax in Canada. I purchased it at the 2014 Annapolis boat show for $4600 delivered to my door in Florida. It is rated at 30gph, and built with non proprietary parts. Unlike the DESSALATOR, most functions are manual, and there is very little to go wrong. I do have the optional automatic solenoid valve installed which allows me to flush the membrane when we are not on the boat The kit arrived with plumbing fittings, hoses, filters, control panel, high pressure pump, low pressure pump, and the membrane. The process of ripping out the old system, and installing the new took me about a day and half. I was able to put the new control panel in the same place as the old with some simple modifications. Also, I've had great technical support from Electromax on the phone when needed.

We started using the watermaker last season when we reached the Caribbean, and have made about 1500 gallons to date with no issues. With the salinity and water temperature in this area, we seem to output between 32 to 34 gph, even though it's rated at 30gph. To each his own, but I greatly prefer a simple manual design with very little to go wrong, and components which are easy to find in most parts of the world.

Let me know if you need more info or pictures, and I'd be happy to help. Good luck on getting it figured out.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 
I have bought my 2002 Amel SM one year ago. Previous owner told me that the watermaker does not work. He told me that watermaker turns off in less than a minute after it turned on. Previous owner left on the boat a spare set of filters and membranes for DESSALATOR.
Watermaker repairman it Trinidad told me that I have to rebuild high pressure pump, check motors and probubly replace electronic control board.
I removed the pump with two motors. Both motors run fine without load. I have no reason to suspect a motor problem. I disassembled pump. As I expected all seals must be replaced. In addition I discovered that all 4 valves have to be replased because valve seats are deeply pitted. The plunger did not look good. DESSALATOR contact person recommended to replace pump head for € 875.00.
She also told me that watermaker control board and panel are outdated and replacement cost €1,812.00. She told me that probubly membrane housing end plates must be replaced because my watermaker was not running for long time. She recommended me to buy new DUO 60 watermaker for € 9,184.00.
I wonder what is good replacement for original watermaker? Should I stay with DESSALATOR brand or there are better and less expensive replacements? Please give me advise.
If someone have replaced original DESSALATOR watermaker and saved DESSALATOR parts, I probubly buy old control board, controlle panel ,pump and other parts.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C-Drive Wear Bushiing Seal Removal trick by Amel

Stephen Davis
 

Hi Bill,

Do you have this puller, and how well did it work at pulling your seals out? Seems like an easy solution if it will work in our application.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Or...  use a real seal puller...


Amazon.com: Lisle 58430 Shaft Type Seal Puller: Automotive

 



Much easier and less likely to damage the seal housing than using screwdrivers or other improvised solutions.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Hollywood FL





Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

Stephen Davis
 

The motor is 120/240v and 50/60 hz, and I've actually run the motor both on 50 and 60 hz.

Steve
Aloha SM72

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your advise. I will definitely consider Electromax. It looks and sound good. Probubly Canadian company AC motor is designed for 60 Hz AC. Amel generator make 50 Hz AC.  Did Electromax give you 50 Hz motor?

Vladimir
SM #345


On Dec 21, 2016 12:51 PM, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi Vladimir,

When I purchased my 1992 SM, it had the original watermaker in non working condition. It was going to be very expensive to repair, and I wanted higher capacity, so I decided to replace it with a different model. My criteria in selection were at least 30gph, built with mostly off the shelf and readily available components, and a reasonable purchase price. After considerable research, I purchased a watermaker from Electromax in Canada. I purchased it at the 2014 Annapolis boat show for $4600 delivered to my door in Florida. It is rated at 30gph, and built with non proprietary parts. Unlike the DESSALATOR, most functions are manual, and there is very little to go wrong. I do have the optional automatic solenoid valve installed which allows me to flush the membrane when we are not on the boat The kit arrived with plumbing fittings, hoses, filters, control panel, high pressure pump, low pressure pump, and the membrane. The process of ripping out the old system, and installing the new took me about a day and half. I was able to put the new control panel in the same place as the old with some simple modifications. Also, I've had great technical support from Electromax on the phone when needed.

We started using the watermaker last season when we reached the Caribbean, and have made about 1500 gallons to date with no issues. With the salinity and water temperature in this area, we seem to output between 32 to 34 gph, even though it's rated at 30gph. To each his own, but I greatly prefer a simple manual design with very little to go wrong, and components which are easy to find in most parts of the world.

Let me know if you need more info or pictures, and I'd be happy to help. Good luck on getting it figured out.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:
 

I have bought my 2002 Amel SM one year ago. Previous owner told me that the watermaker does not work. He told me that watermaker turns off in less than a minute after it turned on. Previous owner left on the boat a spare set of filters and membranes for DESSALATOR.
Watermaker repairman it Trinidad told me that I have to rebuild high pressure pump, check motors and probubly replace electronic control board.
I removed the pump with two motors. Both motors run fine without load. I have no reason to suspect a motor problem. I disassembled pump. As I expected all seals must be replaced. In addition I discovered that all 4 valves have to be replased because valve seats are deeply pitted. The plunger did not look good. DESSALATOR contact person recommended to replace pump head for € 875.00.
She also told me that watermaker control board and panel are outdated and replacement cost €1,812.00. She told me that probubly membrane housing end plates must be replaced because my watermaker was not running for long time. She recommended me to buy new DUO 60 watermaker for € 9,184.00.
I wonder what is good replacement for original watermaker? Should I stay with DESSALATOR brand or there are better and less expensive replacements? Please give me advise.
If someone have replaced original DESSALATOR watermaker and saved DESSALATOR parts, I probubly buy old control board, controlle panel ,pump and other parts.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"




New file uploaded to amelyachtowners

amelyachtowners@...
 

Hello,


This email message is a notification to let you know that
a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the amelyachtowners
group.


File : /Segelmasse_Amel_Super_Maramu.docx
Uploaded by : robin.hutter <robin.hutter@...>
Description : Measurements of all sails on Amel Super Maramu


You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/files/Segelmasse_Amel_Super_Maramu.docx


To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_GRPS&locale=en_US&id=SLN15398


Regards,


robin.hutter <robin.hutter@...>


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C-Drive Wear Bushiing Seal Removal trick by Amel

eric freedman
 

I have been removing my lip seals that way every year since 2002 and it works great.

You just have to be careful to not go too close to the wall of the outer aspect of the hub.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:40 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C-Drive Wear Bushiing Seal Removal trick by Amel

 

 

Ian,

If you look in the FILES section you will find Wear Bushing and Seal Replacement instructions by Amel. I posted this several months ago.

The instructions in French and English say to use a flat blade screwdriver and pry each seal out one at a time. It does not fully describe what I saw Jean and Franc at Amel Martinique do. I will try to describe what I saw:
Using a flat blade skinny screwdriver with a shaft if 10-12", position the blade end at nine o'clock and the handle end at three o'clock. Push the blade end under the first seal, then using the shaft hub, briskly push forward on the handle end of the screw driver and the seal pops out. There is some art involved because if you push the blade end too far you will scratch the inside wall. Jean and Franc were very careful to smooth the inside wall of the seal cavity so that the outside of the seal would not leak water. They were using 600 sandpaper and a soft cloth, cleaning as much as they sanded.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
Currently St John USVI
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

VLADIMIR SONSEV
 

Bill,

Thanks.
Tomorrow I will write a question about electrolysis. Please reply. I would like to know your opinion. 

Vladimir
202 258 1916

On Dec 21, 2016 17:52, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Vladimir,

If you are going to not rebuild the Dessalator, maybe you should consider using some of your existing generic parts from the Dessalator system such as the low pressure pump, membrane tubes and end caps.

If I were you, I wouldn't rely on any watermaker company, but I would build a system with a new high pressure pump from CAT, a generic 220VAC 50htz motor, some manual valves and pressure gauges and use the membrane tubes and low pressure pump from the Dessalator system.

I am sure that you can find the specifications that you need on-line. The entire system us simple. Apply the correct vessel pressure and you get pure water. There is really no need for electric valves and PCBs.

And BTW, I am mostly sure that the reason Dessalator suggested a new PCB Control Board is because your board was made wrong by the Dessalator subcontractor and really does not sense water quality. The quality sense scheme is a fake on all boards up to about 2010. Also, I believe that the reason that they suggested a new control panel is that the pressure valve they used on yours is not really the quality necessary for saltwater. It will suffer from corrosion...use CorrosionX liberally on the outside if this valve. Oh, and many of us had white end caps which were made of inferior material...another Dessalator error. These are common Dessalator errors that most of us have paid for.

I hope this helps you to make a decision.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail


On Dec 21, 2016 6:13 PM, "Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your advise. I will definitely consider Electromax. It looks and sound good. Probubly Canadian company AC motor is designed for 60 Hz AC. Amel generator make 50 Hz AC.  Did Electromax give you 50 Hz motor?

Vladimir
SM #345


On Dec 21, 2016 12:51 PM, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:
 

Hi Vladimir,

When I purchased my 1992 SM, it had the original watermaker in non working condition. It was going to be very expensive to repair, and I wanted higher capacity, so I decided to replace it with a different model. My criteria in selection were at least 30gph, built with mostly off the shelf and readily available components, and a reasonable purchase price. After considerable research, I purchased a watermaker from Electromax in Canada. I purchased it at the 2014 Annapolis boat show for $4600 delivered to my door in Florida. It is rated at 30gph, and built with non proprietary parts. Unlike the DESSALATOR, most functions are manual, and there is very little to go wrong. I do have the optional automatic solenoid valve installed which allows me to flush the membrane when we are not on the boat The kit arrived with plumbing fittings, hoses, filters, control panel, high pressure pump, low pressure pump, and the membrane. The process of ripping out the old system, and installing the new took me about a day and half. I was able to put the new control panel in the same place as the old with some simple modifications. Also, I've had great technical support from Electromax on the phone when needed.

We started using the watermaker last season when we reached the Caribbean, and have made about 1500 gallons to date with no issues. With the salinity and water temperature in this area, we seem to output between 32 to 34 gph, even though it's rated at 30gph. To each his own, but I greatly prefer a simple manual design with very little to go wrong, and components which are easy to find in most parts of the world.

Let me know if you need more info or pictures, and I'd be happy to help. Good luck on getting it figured out.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:
 

I have bought my 2002 Amel SM one year ago. Previous owner told me that the watermaker does not work. He told me that watermaker turns off in less than a minute after it turned on. Previous owner left on the boat a spare set of filters and membranes for DESSALATOR.
Watermaker repairman it Trinidad told me that I have to rebuild high pressure pump, check motors and probubly replace electronic control board.
I removed the pump with two motors. Both motors run fine without load. I have no reason to suspect a motor problem. I disassembled pump. As I expected all seals must be replaced. In addition I discovered that all 4 valves have to be replased because valve seats are deeply pitted. The plunger did not look good. DESSALATOR contact person recommended to replace pump head for € 875.00.
She also told me that watermaker control board and panel are outdated and replacement cost €1,812.00. She told me that probubly membrane housing end plates must be replaced because my watermaker was not running for long time. She recommended me to buy new DUO 60 watermaker for € 9,184.00.
I wonder what is good replacement for original watermaker? Should I stay with DESSALATOR brand or there are better and less expensive replacements? Please give me advise.
If someone have replaced original DESSALATOR watermaker and saved DESSALATOR parts, I probubly buy old control board, controlle panel ,pump and other parts.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] rudder post packing nut size

Duane Siegfri
 

I measured mine at 70 mm

Duane
Wanderer SM 477


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Vladimir,

If you are going to not rebuild the Dessalator, maybe you should consider using some of your existing generic parts from the Dessalator system such as the low pressure pump, membrane tubes and end caps.

If I were you, I wouldn't rely on any watermaker company, but I would build a system with a new high pressure pump from CAT, a generic 220VAC 50htz motor, some manual valves and pressure gauges and use the membrane tubes and low pressure pump from the Dessalator system.

I am sure that you can find the specifications that you need on-line. The entire system us simple. Apply the correct vessel pressure and you get pure water. There is really no need for electric valves and PCBs.

And BTW, I am mostly sure that the reason Dessalator suggested a new PCB Control Board is because your board was made wrong by the Dessalator subcontractor and really does not sense water quality. The quality sense scheme is a fake on all boards up to about 2010. Also, I believe that the reason that they suggested a new control panel is that the pressure valve they used on yours is not really the quality necessary for saltwater. It will suffer from corrosion...use CorrosionX liberally on the outside if this valve. Oh, and many of us had white end caps which were made of inferior material...another Dessalator error. These are common Dessalator errors that most of us have paid for.

I hope this helps you to make a decision.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail


On Dec 21, 2016 6:13 PM, "Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your advise. I will definitely consider Electromax. It looks and sound good. Probubly Canadian company AC motor is designed for 60 Hz AC. Amel generator make 50 Hz AC.  Did Electromax give you 50 Hz motor?

Vladimir
SM #345


On Dec 21, 2016 12:51 PM, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi Vladimir,

When I purchased my 1992 SM, it had the original watermaker in non working condition. It was going to be very expensive to repair, and I wanted higher capacity, so I decided to replace it with a different model. My criteria in selection were at least 30gph, built with mostly off the shelf and readily available components, and a reasonable purchase price. After considerable research, I purchased a watermaker from Electromax in Canada. I purchased it at the 2014 Annapolis boat show for $4600 delivered to my door in Florida. It is rated at 30gph, and built with non proprietary parts. Unlike the DESSALATOR, most functions are manual, and there is very little to go wrong. I do have the optional automatic solenoid valve installed which allows me to flush the membrane when we are not on the boat The kit arrived with plumbing fittings, hoses, filters, control panel, high pressure pump, low pressure pump, and the membrane. The process of ripping out the old system, and installing the new took me about a day and half. I was able to put the new control panel in the same place as the old with some simple modifications. Also, I've had great technical support from Electromax on the phone when needed.

We started using the watermaker last season when we reached the Caribbean, and have made about 1500 gallons to date with no issues. With the salinity and water temperature in this area, we seem to output between 32 to 34 gph, even though it's rated at 30gph. To each his own, but I greatly prefer a simple manual design with very little to go wrong, and components which are easy to find in most parts of the world.

Let me know if you need more info or pictures, and I'd be happy to help. Good luck on getting it figured out.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:
 

I have bought my 2002 Amel SM one year ago. Previous owner told me that the watermaker does not work. He told me that watermaker turns off in less than a minute after it turned on. Previous owner left on the boat a spare set of filters and membranes for DESSALATOR.
Watermaker repairman it Trinidad told me that I have to rebuild high pressure pump, check motors and probubly replace electronic control board.
I removed the pump with two motors. Both motors run fine without load. I have no reason to suspect a motor problem. I disassembled pump. As I expected all seals must be replaced. In addition I discovered that all 4 valves have to be replased because valve seats are deeply pitted. The plunger did not look good. DESSALATOR contact person recommended to replace pump head for € 875.00.
She also told me that watermaker control board and panel are outdated and replacement cost €1,812.00. She told me that probubly membrane housing end plates must be replaced because my watermaker was not running for long time. She recommended me to buy new DUO 60 watermaker for € 9,184.00.
I wonder what is good replacement for original watermaker? Should I stay with DESSALATOR brand or there are better and less expensive replacements? Please give me advise.
If someone have replaced original DESSALATOR watermaker and saved DESSALATOR parts, I probubly buy old control board, controlle panel ,pump and other parts.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

VLADIMIR SONSEV
 

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your advise. I will definitely consider Electromax. It looks and sound good. Probubly Canadian company AC motor is designed for 60 Hz AC. Amel generator make 50 Hz AC.  Did Electromax give you 50 Hz motor?

Vladimir
SM #345


On Dec 21, 2016 12:51 PM, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Vladimir,

When I purchased my 1992 SM, it had the original watermaker in non working condition. It was going to be very expensive to repair, and I wanted higher capacity, so I decided to replace it with a different model. My criteria in selection were at least 30gph, built with mostly off the shelf and readily available components, and a reasonable purchase price. After considerable research, I purchased a watermaker from Electromax in Canada. I purchased it at the 2014 Annapolis boat show for $4600 delivered to my door in Florida. It is rated at 30gph, and built with non proprietary parts. Unlike the DESSALATOR, most functions are manual, and there is very little to go wrong. I do have the optional automatic solenoid valve installed which allows me to flush the membrane when we are not on the boat The kit arrived with plumbing fittings, hoses, filters, control panel, high pressure pump, low pressure pump, and the membrane. The process of ripping out the old system, and installing the new took me about a day and half. I was able to put the new control panel in the same place as the old with some simple modifications. Also, I've had great technical support from Electromax on the phone when needed.

We started using the watermaker last season when we reached the Caribbean, and have made about 1500 gallons to date with no issues. With the salinity and water temperature in this area, we seem to output between 32 to 34 gph, even though it's rated at 30gph. To each his own, but I greatly prefer a simple manual design with very little to go wrong, and components which are easy to find in most parts of the world.

Let me know if you need more info or pictures, and I'd be happy to help. Good luck on getting it figured out.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I have bought my 2002 Amel SM one year ago. Previous owner told me that the watermaker does not work. He told me that watermaker turns off in less than a minute after it turned on. Previous owner left on the boat a spare set of filters and membranes for DESSALATOR.
Watermaker repairman it Trinidad told me that I have to rebuild high pressure pump, check motors and probubly replace electronic control board.
I removed the pump with two motors. Both motors run fine without load. I have no reason to suspect a motor problem. I disassembled pump. As I expected all seals must be replaced. In addition I discovered that all 4 valves have to be replased because valve seats are deeply pitted. The plunger did not look good. DESSALATOR contact person recommended to replace pump head for € 875.00.
She also told me that watermaker control board and panel are outdated and replacement cost €1,812.00. She told me that probubly membrane housing end plates must be replaced because my watermaker was not running for long time. She recommended me to buy new DUO 60 watermaker for € 9,184.00.
I wonder what is good replacement for original watermaker? Should I stay with DESSALATOR brand or there are better and less expensive replacements? Please give me advise.
If someone have replaced original DESSALATOR watermaker and saved DESSALATOR parts, I probubly buy old control board, controlle panel ,pump and other parts.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C-Drive Wear Bushiing Seal Removal trick by Amel

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

Bill,    Thanks. That is also what I was shown in La Rochelle. As you say, care is needed not to scratch the side, but it does work.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Hyeres


On 21 Dec 2016, at 15:41, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ian,

If you look in the FILES section you will find Wear Bushing and Seal Replacement instructions by Amel. I posted this several months ago.

The instructions in French and English say to use a flat blade screwdriver and pry each seal out one at a time. It does not fully describe what I saw Jean and Franc at Amel Martinique do. I will try to describe what I saw:
Using a flat blade skinny screwdriver with a shaft if 10-12", position the blade end at nine o'clock and the handle end at three o'clock. Push the blade end under the first seal, then using the shaft hub, briskly push forward on the handle end of the screw driver and the seal pops out. There is some art involved because if you push the blade end too far you will scratch the inside wall. Jean and Franc were very careful to smooth the inside wall of the seal cavity so that the outside of the seal would not leak water. They were using 600 sandpaper and a soft cloth, cleaning as much as they sanded.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
Currently St John USVI
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C-Drive Wear Bushiing Seal Removal trick by Amel

greatketch@...
 

Or...  use a real seal puller...

Amazon.com: Lisle 58430 Shaft Type Seal Puller: Automotive

 



Much easier and less likely to damage the seal housing than using screwdrivers or other improvised solutions.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Hollywood FL




Re: Genoa halyard splice broken

greatketch@...
 

A short length of bicycle chain makes a great weight for threading a line down a spar.  Heel the boat just a little to the side you want the line to come out.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Hollywood FL



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] C-Drive Wear Bushiing Seal Removal trick by Amel

Giovanni TESTA
 

Hi Ian

,,,other solution :

with a strong drill make two little holes ( the seals have a metal stripe in side) at 180° than screw two long screws, little by little, to fix them at the first seal ( than the second,,,).

Than clamp them with a long pliers.( NOT pull them, to hard job, but possible). You have only to exert a lateral leverage on the borders.

Very easy.

Enyoj.

Giovanni TESTA

sv EUTIKIA

Richard Bay

South Africa


Il 21/12/2016 16:40, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] ha scritto:
 

Ian,

If you look in the FILES section you will find Wear Bushing and Seal Replacement instructions by Amel. I posted this several months ago.

The instructions in French and English say to use a flat blade screwdriver and pry each seal out one at a time. It does not fully describe what I saw Jean and Franc at Amel Martinique do. I will try to describe what I saw:
Using a flat blade skinny screwdriver with a shaft if 10-12", position the blade end at nine o'clock and the handle end at three o'clock. Push the blade end under the first seal, then using the shaft hub, briskly push forward on the handle end of the screw driver and the seal pops out. There is some art involved because if you push the blade end too far you will scratch the inside wall. Jean and Franc were very careful to smooth the inside wall of the seal cavity so that the outside of the seal would not leak water. They were using 600 sandpaper and a soft cloth, cleaning as much as they sanded.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
Currently St John USVI
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail





Avast logo

Questa e-mail è stata controllata per individuare virus con Avast antivirus.
www.avast.com



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

Stephen Davis
 

Hi Vladimir,

When I purchased my 1992 SM, it had the original watermaker in non working condition. It was going to be very expensive to repair, and I wanted higher capacity, so I decided to replace it with a different model. My criteria in selection were at least 30gph, built with mostly off the shelf and readily available components, and a reasonable purchase price. After considerable research, I purchased a watermaker from Electromax in Canada. I purchased it at the 2014 Annapolis boat show for $4600 delivered to my door in Florida. It is rated at 30gph, and built with non proprietary parts. Unlike the DESSALATOR, most functions are manual, and there is very little to go wrong. I do have the optional automatic solenoid valve installed which allows me to flush the membrane when we are not on the boat The kit arrived with plumbing fittings, hoses, filters, control panel, high pressure pump, low pressure pump, and the membrane. The process of ripping out the old system, and installing the new took me about a day and half. I was able to put the new control panel in the same place as the old with some simple modifications. Also, I've had great technical support from Electromax on the phone when needed.

We started using the watermaker last season when we reached the Caribbean, and have made about 1500 gallons to date with no issues. With the salinity and water temperature in this area, we seem to output between 32 to 34 gph, even though it's rated at 30gph. To each his own, but I greatly prefer a simple manual design with very little to go wrong, and components which are easy to find in most parts of the world.

Let me know if you need more info or pictures, and I'd be happy to help. Good luck on getting it figured out.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Martinique

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM, sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

I have bought my 2002 Amel SM one year ago. Previous owner told me that the watermaker does not work. He told me that watermaker turns off in less than a minute after it turned on. Previous owner left on the boat a spare set of filters and membranes for DESSALATOR.
Watermaker repairman it Trinidad told me that I have to rebuild high pressure pump, check motors and probubly replace electronic control board.
I removed the pump with two motors. Both motors run fine without load. I have no reason to suspect a motor problem. I disassembled pump. As I expected all seals must be replaced. In addition I discovered that all 4 valves have to be replased because valve seats are deeply pitted. The plunger did not look good. DESSALATOR contact person recommended to replace pump head for € 875.00.
She also told me that watermaker control board and panel are outdated and replacement cost €1,812.00. She told me that probubly membrane housing end plates must be replaced because my watermaker was not running for long time. She recommended me to buy new DUO 60 watermaker for € 9,184.00.
I wonder what is good replacement for original watermaker? Should I stay with DESSALATOR brand or there are better and less expensive replacements? Please give me advise.
If someone have replaced original DESSALATOR watermaker and saved DESSALATOR parts, I probubly buy old control board, controlle panel ,pump and other parts.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Dessalator pump not working

Tony Robinson <tonywrobinson51@...>
 

Just in case you didn't see my response under Dessalator 60, here it is again :

When my dessalotor 100 failed I called Dessalator in France. They put me in touch with their technician, a South African who lives in Spain. He was a real expert and instantly diagnosed the problem. In fact  the "clutched" wheel on the 24V motor had failed - that's why the system still worked on the 230V motor. The wheel spun both ways - it should only turn one way.

Anyway the technician's phone number is +34 637 89 03 33.

It's well worth giving him a call.....

Tony Robinson - Catriona R Amel 54 #102



From: "sharongbrown@... [amelyachtowners]"
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:56 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Dessalator pump not working

 
Hi again,

It seems that the problem is that for the 24v motor the solenoid has failed, and for the 220v motor the capacitor has failed. Its seems quite coincidental, andI can only speculate that the problem for both was caused by a blocked pre-filter. I wonder if anyone could confirm?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

Tony Robinson <tonywrobinson51@...>
 

When my dessalotor 100 failed I called Dessalator in France. They put me in touch with their technician, a South African who lives in Spain. He was a real expert and instantly diagnosed the problem. In fact  the "clutched" wheel on the 24V motor had failed - that's why the system still worked on the 230V motor. The wheel spun both ways - it should only turn one way.

Anyway the technician's phone number is +34 637 89 03 33.

It's well worth giving him a call.....

Tony Robinson - Catriona R Amel 54 #102



From: "sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners]"
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:49 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

 
I have bought my 2002 Amel SM one year ago. Previous owner told me that the watermaker does not work. He told me that watermaker turns off in less than a minute after it turned on. Previous owner left on the boat a spare set of filters and membranes for DESSALATOR.
Watermaker repairman it Trinidad told me that I have to rebuild high pressure pump, check motors and probubly replace electronic control board.
I removed the pump with two motors. Both motors run fine without load. I have no reason to suspect a motor problem. I disassembled pump. As I expected all seals must be replaced. In addition I discovered that all 4 valves have to be replased because valve seats are deeply pitted. The plunger did not look good. DESSALATOR contact person recommended to replace pump head for € 875.00.
She also told me that watermaker control board and panel are outdated and replacement cost €1,812.00. She told me that probubly membrane housing end plates must be replaced because my watermaker was not running for long time. She recommended me to buy new DUO 60 watermaker for € 9,184.00.
I wonder what is good replacement for original watermaker? Should I stay with DESSALATOR brand or there are better and less expensive replacements? Please give me advise.
If someone have replaced original DESSALATOR watermaker and saved DESSALATOR parts, I probubly buy old control board, controlle panel ,pump and other parts.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"




DESSALATOR DUO 60 ORIGINAL, REPAIR OR REPLACE

VLADIMIR SONSEV
 

I have bought my 2002 Amel SM one year ago. Previous owner told me that the watermaker does not work. He told me that watermaker turns off in less than a minute after it turned on. Previous owner left on the boat a spare set of filters and membranes for DESSALATOR.
Watermaker repairman it Trinidad told me that I have to rebuild high pressure pump, check motors and probubly replace electronic control board.
I removed the pump with two motors. Both motors run fine without load. I have no reason to suspect a motor problem. I disassembled pump. As I expected all seals must be replaced. In addition I discovered that all 4 valves have to be replased because valve seats are deeply pitted. The plunger did not look good. DESSALATOR contact person recommended to replace pump head for € 875.00.
She also told me that watermaker control board and panel are outdated and replacement cost €1,812.00. She told me that probubly membrane housing end plates must be replaced because my watermaker was not running for long time. She recommended me to buy new DUO 60 watermaker for € 9,184.00.
I wonder what is good replacement for original watermaker? Should I stay with DESSALATOR brand or there are better and less expensive replacements? Please give me advise.
If someone have replaced original DESSALATOR watermaker and saved DESSALATOR parts, I probubly buy old control board, controlle panel ,pump and other parts.

Vladimir
SM #345 "LIFE IS GOOD"