Date   

Re: Rudder Nut

Dennis Johns
 

Ironic that your last name is Spanner.   That's the tool you need, it's called a plumber's adjustable spanner.  Some folks have gone to a machine shop and had an aluminum tool cut to fit the nut.

Dennis Johns

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 10:41 AM Bernd Spanner <bernd.spanner@...> wrote:
Hi,

I had a very little water near the rudder shaft after some heavy seas. Wanted to tighten the nut, bit its too big for my tools. Any advice or do I need another special tool?
Tbanks
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal


Re: Rudder Nut

Mohammad Shirloo
 

Hi Bernd;

 

Amel sells the required wrench, or you can have any machine shop make one for you. Aluminum would work best as it is light and easy to work with. We had one fabricated and also purchased one from Amel. I’m sure you can come up with other tools that will work,  but the nut is fairly soft and you have to be careful how you apply pressure.

 

Happy Sailing;

 

 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bernd Spanner via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 10:42 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Rudder Nut

 

Hi,

I had a very little water near the rudder shaft after some heavy seas. Wanted to tighten the nut, bit its too big for my tools. Any advice or do I need another special tool?
Tbanks
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal


Rudder Nut

Bernd Spanner
 

Hi,

I had a very little water near the rudder shaft after some heavy seas. Wanted to tighten the nut, bit its too big for my tools. Any advice or do I need another special tool?
Tbanks
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal


Re: Amel 55 mizen vibration

rob dillmann
 

Dear Jose,

I certainly do not want to keep you away of this charm, but you might try to wrap a hallyard a few times around the mizzen. This changes the airflow and might diminish the vibration.

Best regards,
Rob Dillmann
Westwind
Amel Mango 43


Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 8 jul. 2020 om 16:52 heeft Jose Alegria <Josealegr@...> het volgende geschreven:


John

Thank you

I will try to find your " charm sailing life way".

Thank you and please keep safe


On 08/07/2020, at 14:26, John Clanton <jclanton@...> wrote:

Jose,

 

I have experienced this on several occasions.  I have not taken specific note of the wind speed or angle when it occurred, but in general, if there is a strong blow from somewhere aft of the beam, there is a noise generated, which creates some degree of vibration. 

 

I have assumed it is when the combination of wind angle and speed causes a whistling or harmonic effect with the furler opening of the mast.

 

It can be attention getting, but we try not to pay any attention to it anymore.  We have added it to the list of other “charms” of sailing life.  Sorry I couldn’t provide a solution to eliminate it.

 

 

 

John W. Clanton

S/V Devereux

Amel 55, No. 65

Antibes, France



Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited.


Re: Amel 55 mizen vibration

Jose Alegria
 

John

Thank you

I will try to find your " charm sailing life way".

Thank you and please keep safe


On 08/07/2020, at 14:26, John Clanton <jclanton@...> wrote:

Jose,

 

I have experienced this on several occasions.  I have not taken specific note of the wind speed or angle when it occurred, but in general, if there is a strong blow from somewhere aft of the beam, there is a noise generated, which creates some degree of vibration. 

 

I have assumed it is when the combination of wind angle and speed causes a whistling or harmonic effect with the furler opening of the mast.

 

It can be attention getting, but we try not to pay any attention to it anymore.  We have added it to the list of other “charms” of sailing life.  Sorry I couldn’t provide a solution to eliminate it.

 

 

 

John W. Clanton

S/V Devereux

Amel 55, No. 65

Antibes, France



Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited.


Re: Amel 55 mizen vibration

John Clanton <jclanton@...>
 

Jose,

 

I have experienced this on several occasions.  I have not taken specific note of the wind speed or angle when it occurred, but in general, if there is a strong blow from somewhere aft of the beam, there is a noise generated, which creates some degree of vibration. 

 

I have assumed it is when the combination of wind angle and speed causes a whistling or harmonic effect with the furler opening of the mast.

 

It can be attention getting, but we try not to pay any attention to it anymore.  We have added it to the list of other “charms” of sailing life.  Sorry I couldn’t provide a solution to eliminate it.

 

 

 

John W. Clanton

S/V Devereux

Amel 55, No. 65

Antibes, France



Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited.


Re: A54 Fresh Water Pressure

 

David,

I sent you some pages from my Amel Book which will probably help you. Those pages illustrate the standard SM 66B pump, but it is designed and operates very similar to the pump you have, and the Square D pressure switch is exactly the same. The Square D Pressure switch may need replacing, the orifice cleaned, or the springs adjusted. I send you some pages from my Amel Book. If I were you, I would not attempt to adjust the Square D switch until everything else was attempted. It is almost impossible to buy a freshwater pump as good as the one that you have and you would be much better off to either rebuild what you have or pay someone to rebuild it.

Cleaning the Square D Pressure switch orifice is not in the above pages, but illustrated in this photo. After removing the switch from the pressurized system, the orifice is visible inside the pipe connector (circled below). Note the cotton swabs with dirt and debris.

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 6:59 AM David Crisp <david@...> wrote:
Many thanks Bill,

When I opened up the pump it was completely solid with crystals and deposit of some sort. Until I bought it last year she has been on the Sth France where the water is hard so maybe that plus an extended 9mths on the hard (thanks Covid) has caused the problem.   A 24 hrs soak with shower cleaner (decalcifier) and some fiddling did the job.  However, after reinstalling water appeared to be leaking from the rear seal.  I must have somehow damaged the seal amongst my exploratory blundering, but maybe I can  rebuild it for a spare.

My new problem is the pressure switch doesn't seem to me working.  It isn't automatically switching on.  If I manually trigger the switch it latches on okay, the pump runs 
but doesn't trip off once pressure is reached (max 4bar).  It was okay before. So far adjusting the two adjustment nuts 1 & 2 and it hasn't done any good. Grrrrr with frustration!  Any suggestions?

BTW you are correct about the price for tank + pump + switch assembly 950€.  For the benefit of all, just the pump alone was 540€.


--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace
Amel 54 #58


Amel 55 mizen vibration

Jose Alegria
 

Dear  amelians
Today's topic concerns the Amel 55 model
At   marina berth , when the wind enters from the stern at 130-150º angles and with 10-15 knots of wind, there is an enormous vibration in the mizen mast; it is something that does not always appear, but that noise in the main cabin  becomes highly annoying.
Does anyone have an explanation for this, or some solution to this problem

Kindest regards

José Alegria
A55#003MERIT
josealegr@...
Mobile: + 351 91 866 30 37



Re: A54 Fresh Water Pressure

David Crisp
 

Many thanks Bill,

When I opened up the pump it was completely solid with crystals and deposit of some sort. Until I bought it last year she has been on the Sth France where the water is hard so maybe that plus an extended 9mths on the hard (thanks Covid) has caused the problem.   A 24 hrs soak with shower cleaner (decalcifier) and some fiddling did the job.  However, after reinstalling water appeared to be leaking from the rear seal.  I must have somehow damaged the seal amongst my exploratory blundering, but maybe I can  rebuild it for a spare.

My new problem is the pressure switch doesn't seem to me working.  It isn't automatically switching on.  If I manually trigger the switch it latches on okay, the pump runs 
but doesn't trip off once pressure is reached (max 4bar).  It was okay before. So far adjusting the two adjustment nuts 1 & 2 and it hasn't done any good. Grrrrr with frustration!  Any suggestions?

BTW you are correct about the price for tank + pump + switch assembly 950€.  For the benefit of all, just the pump alone was 540€.


--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace
Amel 54 #58


Re: Bamar EJF Furler

amel46met
 

Hi Bill
No jammed  swivel
Thanks for the manual I did not have that. thinking it could be stuck paws or maybe motor brushes was hoping to not have to drop the fore stay. thanks for your suggestions
Tom Deasy 
Aphrodite Maramu #125


On Jul 7, 2020, at 8:19 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:


I do not know, but have you ruled out a jammed swivel at the top of the foil?

Also, do you have the manual? 


The manual states (about page 40):
The electric furler turns and then stops 
Causes:
• Halyard wrapped around the foils.
Halyard swivel badly adjusted.
• Genoa sheet jammed.
Have you greased according to the manual?


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 9:28 AM amel46met <onboardaphrodite@...> wrote:
Yes Bill The jib furler  is not original I installed it four years ago. But do you have any ideas why it is malfunctioning? Unfurling 1 foot and then stopping.
Tom Deasy 
Aphrodite Maramu #125


On Jul 6, 2020, at 8:37 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:


Tom, the EJF is the forestay furler on your Maramu but was not the original furler.


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 9:46 AM amel46met <onboardaphrodite@...> wrote:
Hi Bill
The Barmar EJF is the forestay furler.
Tom Deasy 
Maramu #125 1983


On Jul 5, 2020, at 5:07 PM, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:


Are you referring to your Genoa furler or your main sail furler?  If it's the main sail furler, is it the outhaul motor/gearbox that stops or the furler motor/gearbox that stops?  If it's the main sail furler, were you able to get it back by manually cranking it in?  I suspect you're referring to the Genoa furler, but just wanted to confirm.  
Regards.
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 12:43 PM amel46met <onboardaphrodite@...> wrote:
Hello Group
Tom Deasy APHRODITE Maramu 1983 #125
I am having a problem with my electric furler, four years old and several thousand miles.It will unroll about 2 feet and stop it will not roll back up. Is it possible for me to disassemble to see the problem could it be the brushes or possibly corrosion with the paws or the electrical brake system any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tom Deasy





--
Bill Shaproski
Cell:  +1-206-375-2787


My rewire of the 4jhshte

eric freedman
 

Here are a few photos of the finished job

On July 7, 2020 at 12:47 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Tom

Here are some photos of the rewiring.

In the 4th photo is a black wire that Amel used to connect all the negative sides of the senders.

There were numerous connections and a few bad solder joints. In the new model wiring all of these leads go to the Valeo Solenoid. 

Fair Wind,

Eric


 


 


Re: Newer model Isolated ground kit for Yanmar from Amel

eric freedman
 

Hi Tom

Here are some photos of the rewiring.

In the 4th photo is a black wire that Amel used to connect all the negative sides of the senders.

There were numerous connections and a few bad solder joints. In the new model wiring all of these leads go to the Valeo Solenoid. 

Fair Wind,

Eric


Re: Newer model Isolated ground kit for Yanmar from alel

eric freedman
 

Hi Thomas,
I am happy that i could be of some help. After we started talking it took me a bit of time to find your wiring diagram.
My 4jh3hte is working fine but I have put over 7000 hours on the engine. Even though the engine is giving me no trouble, I am installing a new 4jh4hte
engine this coming winter in the Caribbean. I see from the wiring diagrams that Amel?

Is the intercooler for your engine mounted above the starter motor or is it mounted on a high bracket above the transmission? Amel changed the location of most of the wiring components. I also see what seams to be the transmission oil cooler mounted on top of the transmission. Is yours mounted there?

If you do not mind would you please send m about a dozen photos of your engine?
Fair Winds,

Eric

On July 7, 2020 at 10:10 AM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Eric- first of all thanks for all this. To have a guy who rewired his engine from scratch as a resource is incredibly helpful. My engine is a 4JH3-HTE but the wiring to the solenoid, diodes, and relay are all there as I see in the pics. After following the wiring from the panel to the solenoid the problem ended up being a bad connection at the relay. No power out of the relay to the solenoid. After rewiring the 2 brown wires connector and cleaning up the relay it works fine now. But as a precaution I'm buying a new solenoid from Maud and already ordered spare relays. I'm still curious about being able to substitute the isolated ground solenoid spares I have from the Onan for the Yanmars Valeo in a pinch. I never considered that option. Anyway, problem solved for now.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Honelei Bay, Kauai

 


Re: Bamar EJF Furler

 

I do not know, but have you ruled out a jammed swivel at the top of the foil?

Also, do you have the manual? 


The manual states (about page 40):
The electric furler turns and then stops 
Causes:
• Halyard wrapped around the foils.
Halyard swivel badly adjusted.
• Genoa sheet jammed.
Have you greased according to the manual?


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 9:28 AM amel46met <onboardaphrodite@...> wrote:
Yes Bill The jib furler  is not original I installed it four years ago. But do you have any ideas why it is malfunctioning? Unfurling 1 foot and then stopping.
Tom Deasy 
Aphrodite Maramu #125


On Jul 6, 2020, at 8:37 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:


Tom, the EJF is the forestay furler on your Maramu but was not the original furler.


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 9:46 AM amel46met <onboardaphrodite@...> wrote:
Hi Bill
The Barmar EJF is the forestay furler.
Tom Deasy 
Maramu #125 1983


On Jul 5, 2020, at 5:07 PM, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:


Are you referring to your Genoa furler or your main sail furler?  If it's the main sail furler, is it the outhaul motor/gearbox that stops or the furler motor/gearbox that stops?  If it's the main sail furler, were you able to get it back by manually cranking it in?  I suspect you're referring to the Genoa furler, but just wanted to confirm.  
Regards.
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 12:43 PM amel46met <onboardaphrodite@...> wrote:
Hello Group
Tom Deasy APHRODITE Maramu 1983 #125
I am having a problem with my electric furler, four years old and several thousand miles.It will unroll about 2 feet and stop it will not roll back up. Is it possible for me to disassemble to see the problem could it be the brushes or possibly corrosion with the paws or the electrical brake system any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tom Deasy





--
Bill Shaproski
Cell:  +1-206-375-2787


Re: Newer model Isolated ground kit for Yanmar from alel

 

Tom,

I believe that almost any automotive 12-volt starter solenoid will work as a substitute as long as the mounting bracket is not connected to any of the posts on the battery side of the switched posts or the battery side of the coil posts. I believe this condition is true on most start solenoids and the Onan Negative solenoid, but you should verify it.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 9:10 AM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
Eric- first of all thanks for all this. To have a guy who rewired his engine from scratch as a resource is incredibly helpful. My engine is a 4JH3-HTE but the wiring to the solenoid, diodes, and relay are all there as I see in the pics. After following the wiring from the panel to the solenoid the problem ended up being a bad connection at the relay. No power out of the relay to the solenoid. After rewiring the 2 brown wires connector and cleaning up the relay it works fine now. But as a precaution I'm buying a new solenoid from Maud and already ordered spare relays. I'm still curious about being able to substitute the isolated ground solenoid spares I have from the Onan for the Yanmars Valeo in a pinch. I never considered that option. Anyway, problem solved for now.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Honelei Bay, Kauai


Updated Event: Canceled - ZOOM Meeting - Canceled, Presentation from the owner of QSails - Saturday, 11 July 2020 #cal-invite

main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Calendar <main@...>
 

Canceled - ZOOM Meeting - Canceled, Presentation from the owner of QSails

When:
Saturday, 11 July 2020
20:00 to 21:00
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Description:

The owner and manager of QSails will be unable to attend the meeting and unfortunately, we will have to cancel. I will reschedule this at some future date.

Bill Rouse


Re: Bamar EJF Furler

amel46met
 

Yes Bill The jib furler  is not original I installed it four years ago. But do you have any ideas why it is malfunctioning? Unfurling 1 foot and then stopping.
Tom Deasy 
Aphrodite Maramu #125


On Jul 6, 2020, at 8:37 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:


Tom, the EJF is the forestay furler on your Maramu but was not the original furler.


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 9:46 AM amel46met <onboardaphrodite@...> wrote:
Hi Bill
The Barmar EJF is the forestay furler.
Tom Deasy 
Maramu #125 1983


On Jul 5, 2020, at 5:07 PM, Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:


Are you referring to your Genoa furler or your main sail furler?  If it's the main sail furler, is it the outhaul motor/gearbox that stops or the furler motor/gearbox that stops?  If it's the main sail furler, were you able to get it back by manually cranking it in?  I suspect you're referring to the Genoa furler, but just wanted to confirm.  
Regards.
Bill Shaproski
S/V Pacific Cool

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 12:43 PM amel46met <onboardaphrodite@...> wrote:
Hello Group
Tom Deasy APHRODITE Maramu 1983 #125
I am having a problem with my electric furler, four years old and several thousand miles.It will unroll about 2 feet and stop it will not roll back up. Is it possible for me to disassemble to see the problem could it be the brushes or possibly corrosion with the paws or the electrical brake system any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tom Deasy





--
Bill Shaproski
Cell:  +1-206-375-2787


Re: Newer model Isolated ground kit for Yanmar from alel

Thomas Kleman
 

Eric- first of all thanks for all this. To have a guy who rewired his engine from scratch as a resource is incredibly helpful. My engine is a 4JH3-HTE but the wiring to the solenoid, diodes, and relay are all there as I see in the pics. After following the wiring from the panel to the solenoid the problem ended up being a bad connection at the relay. No power out of the relay to the solenoid. After rewiring the 2 brown wires connector and cleaning up the relay it works fine now. But as a precaution I'm buying a new solenoid from Maud and already ordered spare relays. I'm still curious about being able to substitute the isolated ground solenoid spares I have from the Onan for the Yanmars Valeo in a pinch. I never considered that option. Anyway, problem solved for now.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Honelei Bay, Kauai


Re: A54 Fresh Water Pressure

 

David for most Amels the cut-off pressure is between 2-3 bar. If you are in that range you should be OK. 

FYI, normally the accumulator tank fails before the pump, and that pump is likely rebuildable. The cost of the original pump and tank is close to 1,000 euros.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar


On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 5:44 AM David Crisp <david@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm replacing the Gianneshi fresh water pump.  Can anyone tell me the recommended high and low water pressure values please?  I have the original Gianneschi ACB-61-G pressure tank and pump system, but I'm just replacing the pump as the tank seems okay.  
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace
Amel 54 #58


A54 Fresh Water Pressure

David Crisp
 

Hi All,

I'm replacing the Gianneshi fresh water pump.  Can anyone tell me the recommended high and low water pressure values please?  I have the original Gianneschi ACB-61-G pressure tank and pump system, but I'm just replacing the pump as the tank seems okay.  
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace
Amel 54 #58