Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to remove Antifouling to Gellcoat)

antonio scipioni
 

Hi guys 
Last year I remove The old antifouling and I prefer to do this job by my hand. It is very tiresome, you can use a gently water sandblaster. 
Consider that is very important don't damage the gelcoat cause you 'll have in future osmosis problem.
Fair Winds
Antonio
Vagabundo
SN108 
Now in Cannigione 

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 17/gen/2017, alle ore 02:58, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> ha scritto:

 

Joel,


Do you have an opinion on soda blasting?  Like sand blasting but uses sodium carbonate (baking soda) instead of sand, a much softer, more gentle, material.  It's not available everywhere, and requires some specialized equipment.

I had a few boats stripped like this in the past, and the gelcoat sure LOOKED good afterwards, but I did not have a long enough followup to see any long term effects.

Bill Kinney
SM#160,  Harmonie
Big Majors Spot, Bahamas


Re: Admiral Bill

Ian Park
 

Another hear hear!
My limited knowledge has expanded incredibly thanks to many owners out there. But when the discussions don't reach a unanimous conclusion Bill always seems to put things to bed.
Thanks Bill.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN 96


Re: Looking for info on early 80s Maramus

Jacob Champness
 

Thanks much for the helpful replies.  Survey is scheduled from January 27, so we'll see how that goes.  I'll definitely ask surveyor to check in to the mizzen mast box and the bulkhead seal.  I'll report back as I know more.  

All the best, 
Jacob


Re: Admiral Bill

John Clark
 

Dear All,

   While I am only 30 days into my tenure as an “Amel custodian,” I have been guided by Bill and Judy both on the forum and privately for almost a year before I finally found the right boat.

 

  When Bill first announce the sale of Bebe I had to confess to him that I had “used” him to convince the other half that we would be just fine at sea on an Amel because of all the technical support from the forum, and Bill especially.   Amel should give Bill an award, (or a paid position!) for all the support he has given the Amel brand. 

 

As for me I say thank you Bill, for the guidance how to find the right boat, the assistance during the purchasing process, and finally for making introductions that made me feel welcome to the group.   I certainly hope you will “stick around” but if your duties take you elsewhere it has been a  pleasure and an honor to  know you.    So I also say Here Here!

 

                           Regards,  John

 

John Clark

“Vent de Soleil” SM 037

Martinique.


Re: Admiral Bill

John Clark
 

Dear All,

   While I am only 30 days into my tenure as an “Amel custodian,” I have been guided by Bill and Judy both on the forum and privately for almost a year before I finally found the right boat.

 

  When Bill first announce the sale of Bebe I had to confess to him that I had “used” him to convince the other half that we would be just fine at sea on an Amel because of all the technical support from the forum, and Bill especially.   Amel should give Bill an award, (or a paid position!) for all the support he has given the Amel brand. 

 

As for me I say thank you Bill, for the guidance how to find the right boat, the assistance during the purchasing process, and finally for making introductions that made me feel welcome to the group.   I certainly hope you will “stick around” but if your duties take you elsewhere it has been a  pleasure and an honor to  know you.    So I also say Here Here!

 

                           Regards,  John

 

John Clark

“Vent de Soleil” SM 037

Martinique.

 

 


Re: Which Amel ? Does anyone know the ehistory of design changes / revisions for Super Maramu

John Clark
 

Hi Mark,
   Bill is right, contact Joel Potter.  He can walk you through the history of the Amel line.  When I first started shopping in earnest Bill gave me the same advice to go to Joel.  Joel will certainly steer you right and answer all your questions about Amels...even the ones you didn't know you had!

                         Regards,  John

John Clark
"Vent de Soleil"   SM 037
Martinique



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] RE: Admiral Bill

James Alton
 

Bill,

   You have been a great help to me and IMO ( and clearly many others feel the same way) have made a huge contribution to the board…of course you will be missed!  I hope that you will decide to drop in to give us a little more "attitude" from time to time.  Best of luck in your retirement or whatever else you will be doing.

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

On Jan 16, 2017, at 7:56 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


I am really shocked. I thought that my "The-Amel-way-is-the-only-way" attitude had already pissed all of you off!

Maybe I have not been forceful enough. 

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail


On Jan 16, 2017 8:15 PM, "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

When I see a post from Bill Rouse, I never question if it is correct or not. I take it as fact.

 

When we purchased Cream Puff, Bill sent me a DVD with all his maintenance files and manuals. It is still my first go to source when I have a question or need to understand something better. I can honestly say, Bill was one of reasons we purchased an Amel. He was so passionate on the forum (we joined prior to our purchases) that it made me question many of the things we found in other boats. He certainly made Joel's job a little easier. I have slowly found out he was right and there was good reason for his passion. I have emailed Bill several times outside the forum and he has always taken time to respond. I wish I could download his brain (just the Amel stuff) and have it for the rest of our cruising days. Bill contributions to this group are priceless.

 

Selfishly, I hope Bill doesn't leave us cold turkey. This forum will never be quite the same without him.

 

Bill, thank you, thank you, thank you.

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Yacht: Cream Puff and Bill's biggest fan

 

SM2K #275 - Currently cruising: Key West, FL - Still waiting for the wind to change direction

 

 

www.creampuff.us

___





Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to remove Antifouling to Gellcoat)

greatketch@...
 

Joel,

Do you have an opinion on soda blasting?  Like sand blasting but uses sodium carbonate (baking soda) instead of sand, a much softer, more gentle, material.  It's not available everywhere, and requires some specialized equipment.

I had a few boats stripped like this in the past, and the gelcoat sure LOOKED good afterwards, but I did not have a long enough followup to see any long term effects.

Bill Kinney
SM#160,  Harmonie
Big Majors Spot, Bahamas


Re: Admiral Bill

greatketch@...
 

Bill,

Your evangelizing for the "Amel Way" has done a great service to all Amel owners. Your detailed knowledge of how these boats work and what to do when they do not work has made all of us other owners the better.

I know my boat is better and worth more to me because of your time and effort on this forum.  I have an idea of how much time you put into answering the questions from newbies and experienced owners over the years, and it has been a fantastic resource.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Big Majors Spot, Bahamas


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] RE: Admiral Bill

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

I am really shocked. I thought that my "The-Amel-way-is-the-only-way" attitude had already pissed all of you off!

Maybe I have not been forceful enough.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail


On Jan 16, 2017 8:15 PM, "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

When I see a post from Bill Rouse, I never question if it is correct or not. I take it as fact.

 

When we purchased Cream Puff, Bill sent me a DVD with all his maintenance files and manuals. It is still my first go to source when I have a question or need to understand something better. I can honestly say, Bill was one of reasons we purchased an Amel. He was so passionate on the forum (we joined prior to our purchases) that it made me question many of the things we found in other boats. He certainly made Joel's job a little easier. I have slowly found out he was right and there was good reason for his passion. I have emailed Bill several times outside the forum and he has always taken time to respond. I wish I could download his brain (just the Amel stuff) and have it for the rest of our cruising days. Bill contributions to this group are priceless.

 

Selfishly, I hope Bill doesn't leave us cold turkey. This forum will never be quite the same without him.

 

Bill, thank you, thank you, thank you.

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Yacht: Cream Puff and Bill's biggest fan

 

SM2K #275 - Currently cruising: Key West, FL - Still waiting for the wind to change direction

 

 

www.creampuff.us

___


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to removeAntifouling to Gellcoat)

Patrick McAneny
 

Bill, Well chemicals are out , I will have to look at what it would cost to scrape here , labor cost I assume is less in Turkey. As you know Diane and I have followed you and Judy on your blog since you purchased BeBe ,then left the Virgins to sail around the world the last ten years, and now to the sale . While that marks the end of your cruise, I know I speak for everyone  when I say , I hope it does not end your active membership in this group. We would all miss you and your invaluable advice. Personally , I think you will be back , maybe in a 54 next time , but you will set sail again, we all hope.
Thanks for Everything,
Pat & Diane,
SM Shenanigans



-----Original Message-----
From: 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Mon, Jan 16, 2017 7:18 pm
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to removeAntifouling to Gellcoat)

 
Pat,
I am a scrapper, so I lean toward scraping. We had BeBe hand-scraped in 2011 in Turkey. It took 2 guys 2 days including a final sanding.
Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jan 16, 2017 12:49 PM, "bob.sarff@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 
[Attachment(s) from bob.sarff@... included below]
My Amel Maramu is in Fiji and I had local labor scrape the bottom.  It was a a dirty job and took two to three workers about a 7days (Fiji time) to finish.  We are now letting the boat sit out of the water during the summer  cyclone season and will use a filler and then several coats of barrier coat before applying bottom paint.  The reason I choose to strip the bottom in the first place was that the lower layers of bottom pant were beginning to fail and sluff off and I had some blisters.
 
Bob
S\V Chara
 
 
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
 
From: Steve Lawson lawson911@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 7:34 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to removeAntifouling to Gellcoat)
 
 
I did my bottom a few years ago, and my current boat is a Dufour 39 ( working my way up to an Amel ). It's a dirty, rotten, time consuming job, that you may do once, but will never repeat. Sandblasting is old school, the latest and greatest is soda blasting, which does a great job, is environmentally friendly, and is easier on the hull than sandblasting.
Cheers

On Jan 16, 2017, at 9:31 AM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 
I have been thinking I would like to get rid of all the layers of bottom paint. I was wondering about chemical stripers , if they work and how well. Seems like you may run the risk of scratching the gel coat scraping , is that a concern and how wide of a scraper would you use. I got a quote of almost $3000. to sandblast, more than I expected , being a one day job , but if it saves ten days of scraping ... Just wondering what others have done. Also wondering how one deals with the bottom of the keel only a couple of inches off the ground and resting on blocking.
Pat SM#123

-----Original Message-----
From: James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Jan 15, 2017 8:16 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to remove Antifouling to Gellcoat)
 
I have always avoided the chemical strippers myself due to concerns of short and long term damage to the gel coat.  The stuff goes into any cracks in the gel coat and can get into the laminate and or into any voids under the gel coat which is not a good thing.   The suggestion that was made to use a good sharp scrapper is IMO a good way to go,  just take your time.  As was also suggested, go with the carbide blades.  The Bahco 660 or 665 scrapper works well for me,  you can find these on Amazon.  You can also sand it off with a dustless system or use this as a follow up to the scrapping.  Definitely avoid using a heat gun as it is just too easy to craze the gel coat. 
 
Best of luck,
 
James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
Sardinia,  Italy
 
On Jan 15, 2017, at 1:11 PM, santorinlo18@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 
 
Hi Forum, Just about to scrap bottom - is sand blasting good method? seen the end result - looks neat but rough compare to manual. Not sure if good or bad, however, about 50% cost compare to manual + chemical. Any experiences or view
 
 
 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: leakage current to the bonding system

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Ofer,

Like Joel said, it is probably one of the Jabsco Macerator pumps on the side of the toilets.

Disconnect the yellow/green bonding wire on each toilet macerator pump, one at a time and see if the light goes out. If it does, replace the macerator pump. Don't rebuild it, replace it.

If the above does not work, turn off all of the 24VDC breakers on the boat. Don't forget those breakers that are not on the 24VDC panel. If you do not know where they are all, read the owners manual. With all of them off the red light will very likely be OFF. Now turn ON one at a time and you will find the problem.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail


On Jan 16, 2017 5:54 PM, "'Joel Potter' jfpottercys@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Ofer. I am hoping that Gary Silver or X-Bebe Bill will chime in here with some specific recommendations on how best to proceed. I understand electrical theory and can work on electrical systems without setting things on fire, but those two guys forgot more about electrical trouble shooting and repairs than I will ever know. I am sure that other group members can also offer helpful suggestion based on their experiences.…

 

All The Best, Joel

Joel F. Potter/Cruising Yacht Specialist LLC

THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY

954 462 5869 office

954 812 2485 cell

 

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 3:59 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: leakage current to the bonding system

 

 

Thanks Joel,

 

Do you know where are the "junctions",in the boat,where "minus" wires  from the batteries are split to groups of equipments to make the hunting more systematic? 

 

I found the voltage between the bonding system and the minus to be 0.45V?

I had to leave the main switches ON, so how bad is it?

 

Thanks, 

Ofer 

SV Alba 

Amel 54 #160


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Replace shackle on main outhaul car SM 2003

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

John,

I have forgotten. Between the main and the mizzen, one requires the piece of track...try it and you will find the answer. I am betting the main outhaul car needs the piece of  track.

Good luck.

BTW, I admire Amel for adding that horizontal brace to that shackle, because as we all know, a shackle is not designed to take loads from more than 45 degrees off the bow of the shackle.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail


On Jan 16, 2017 1:24 PM, "johnabo2003" <no_reply@...> wrote:
 

Thanks for your update. The outhaul car on for my main looks more like the picture of Bill's. I think it may be possible to free the shackle pin by removing the screws that hold the end stops in place. I guess the question is whether the screws are threaded into the body, or have nuts on the back as you suggested.


John
SM 391



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Which Amel ? Does anyone know the ehistory of design changes / revisions for Super Maramu

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

M,

We all tend to identify ourselves rather than going incognito.

The SM changed somewhat every year during its production, with a major change toward convenience and luxury in 2000.

If you work with the best Amel broker in the world, he will tell you everything that changed each year. Contact Joel Potter at jfpottercys"at"att.net

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail


On Jan 16, 2017 12:00 PM, "mark_b_berger@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi All,

Am considering a Super Maramu however I can not seem to find what was changed for each year's revision of the design & I am sure there were many upgrades over the years - some may have been better than others

So please feel free to bring out you experiences of particular years r& sub models etc & what changed or needed changing

I would consider the newer models Amel 55 & up however they seem to have gone for the floating home interior - walk around beds & armchairs etc that are unsuitable for long ocean passages ( correct me if you wish)

All Info & opinions welcome

Thanks

M



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to remove Antifouling to Gellcoat)

Patrick McAneny
 

Ann -Sofie , Thanks for the feedback , chemical stripping does not seem to be the way , too messy . Diane just told me that today is your birthday , and that she sent you wishes thru facebook , so let me add my wishes for a Happy Birthday ! We hope to see you guys again someday.
Pat & Diane,
SM Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: Ann-Sofie Svanberg kanalmamman@... [amelyachtowners]
To: Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: Mon, Jan 16, 2017 9:27 am
Subject: SV: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to remove Antifouling to Gellcoat)

 
We used a paint remover in 2013, it didn’t save any time maybe some effort. But it was a really relly messy job that we don’t recomend anyone to do. You have to have wear a full Water proof protection to not be hurt, you have to use tons of Water to washit away with, not only from the hull but even from the ground as the solutions is high corrosive. It you don’t wash the ground properly dogs or cats or other animal can get their pawn really bad damaged. We didn’t have this full body waterproof coverage and got some nasty burns where the raincoat didn’t cover.
Also you have to have the right temperature. If it is to hot the solution dries out and do the work. We hade to cover with adhesive plastic film to keep the moisture. As I said really really messy.
 
We had the work re-done in Trinidad, scraped down to the gelcoat and then new paint. I belive that we paid about 2500 USD for it. And it was done manualy.
 
Regards
Ann-Sofie
 
Skickades från E-post för Windows 10
 
Från: Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]
Skickat: den 16 januari 2017 14:38
Till: amelyachtowners@...
Ämne: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to remove Antifouling to Gellcoat)
 
 
I have been thinking I would like to get rid of all the layers of bottom paint. I was wondering about chemical stripers , if they work and how well. Seems like you may run the risk of scratching the gel coat scraping , is that a concern and how wide of a scraper would you use. I got a quote of almost $3000. to sandblast, more than I expected , being a one day job , but if it saves ten days of scraping ... Just wondering what others have done. Also wondering how one deals with the bottom of the keel only a couple of inches off the ground and resting on blocking.
Pat SM#123


-----Original Message-----
From: James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sun, Jan 15, 2017 8:16 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to remove Antifouling to Gellcoat)

 
I have always avoided the chemical strippers myself due to concerns of short and long term damage to the gel coat.  The stuff goes into any cracks in the gel coat and can get into the laminate and or into any voids under the gel coat which is not a good thing.   The suggestion that was made to use a good sharp scrapper is IMO a good way to go,  just take your time.  As was also suggested, go with the carbide blades.  The Bahco 660 or 665 scrapper works well for me,  you can find these on Amazon.  You can also sand it off with a dustless system or use this as a follow up to the scrapping.  Definitely avoid using a heat gun as it is just too easy to craze the gel coat. 

Best of luck,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
Sardinia,  Italy

On Jan 15, 2017, at 1:11 PM, santorinlo18@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


Hi Forum, Just about to scrap bottom - is sand blasting good method? seen the end result - looks neat but rough compare to manual. Not sure if good or bad, however, about 50% cost compare to manual + chemical. Any experiences or view



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to removeAntifouling to Gellcoat) [2 Attachments]

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>
 

Pat,

I am a scrapper, so I lean toward scraping. We had BeBe hand-scraped in 2011 in Turkey. It took 2 guys 2 days including a final sanding.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail


On Jan 16, 2017 12:49 PM, "bob.sarff@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 
[Attachment(s) from bob.sarff@... included below]

My Amel Maramu is in Fiji and I had local labor scrape the bottom.  It was a a dirty job and took two to three workers about a 7days (Fiji time) to finish.  We are now letting the boat sit out of the water during the summer  cyclone season and will use a filler and then several coats of barrier coat before applying bottom paint.  The reason I choose to strip the bottom in the first place was that the lower layers of bottom pant were beginning to fail and sluff off and I had some blisters.

 

Bob

S\V Chara

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Steve Lawson lawson911@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 7:34 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to removeAntifouling to Gellcoat)

 

 

I did my bottom a few years ago, and my current boat is a Dufour 39 ( working my way up to an Amel ). It's a dirty, rotten, time consuming job, that you may do once, but will never repeat. Sandblasting is old school, the latest and greatest is soda blasting, which does a great job, is environmentally friendly, and is easier on the hull than sandblasting.
Cheers


On Jan 16, 2017, at 9:31 AM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

I have been thinking I would like to get rid of all the layers of bottom paint. I was wondering about chemical stripers , if they work and how well. Seems like you may run the risk of scratching the gel coat scraping , is that a concern and how wide of a scraper would you use. I got a quote of almost $3000. to sandblast, more than I expected , being a one day job , but if it saves ten days of scraping ... Just wondering what others have done. Also wondering how one deals with the bottom of the keel only a couple of inches off the ground and resting on blocking.

Pat SM#123

-----Original Message-----
From: James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Jan 15, 2017 8:16 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to remove Antifouling to Gellcoat)

 

I have always avoided the chemical strippers myself due to concerns of short and long term damage to the gel coat.  The stuff goes into any cracks in the gel coat and can get into the laminate and or into any voids under the gel coat which is not a good thing.   The suggestion that was made to use a good sharp scrapper is IMO a good way to go,  just take your time.  As was also suggested, go with the carbide blades.  The Bahco 660 or 665 scrapper works well for me,  you can find these on Amazon.  You can also sand it off with a dustless system or use this as a follow up to the scrapping.  Definitely avoid using a heat gun as it is just too easy to craze the gel coat. 

 

Best of luck,

 

James Alton

SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

Sardinia,  Italy

 

On Jan 15, 2017, at 1:11 PM, santorinlo18@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

 

Hi Forum, Just about to scrap bottom - is sand blasting good method? seen the end result - looks neat but rough compare to manual. Not sure if good or bad, however, about 50% cost compare to manual + chemical. Any experiences or view

 

 

 


Re: Looking for info on early 80s Maramus

jjjk12s@...
 

Jacob,

I have hull 91 built in 1981. I bought the boat about 6 years ago and have refitted her. I don't know the history of the particular boat in Florida but it looks good from the pictures and a good price considering it looks like quite a bit has been updated. 

The winches on the aft cabin top are not standard and the refrigeration has been changed from a front opening refrigerator. The point mentioned earlier about the mizzen being over compressed and shifting that rope box between the mizzen mast and bulkhead appears not to have occurred. The engine is old but looks well looked after based on the pictures and the added fuel filtration. The willingness to post pictures of the nooks and crannies is a good thing. Some changing of carpet hull liner could be in order but the biggest problem is normally collapsing ceiling vinyl liner and this boat looks ok.

My boat has the same rig. Later ones had 2 spreaders and electric furling. An advantage of this set up is it easy to get off-the-shelf rigging parts if the old bits are corroded or worn out. I have a fully battened main and mizzen and that helps sailing performance. 

I don't think these boats are great for popping out for a few hours sail but if you are looking for an economical cruiser that is safe and "go anywhere" that boats looks good.

Personally, for an economical cruiser and an older boat, I think it's an advantage to have the conventional furling headsail with lowering main, no lowering bow thruster and a normal prop shaft. These are a plus on the later boats (ovbiously Amel progressed the design with the intention of improvements and modernisation - not going backwards) but the result is more convenience and luxury at the expense of more cost and more maintenance. It depends on what you're after and what your budget is.

Regards
John, Popeye, Maramu #91, 1981, Port Douglas, Australia


---In amelyachtowners@..., <jeremy@...> wrote :

Hi all.

We're looking very seriously at a 1983 Maramu (Pura Vida, #124), in Stuart/Indiantown FL, USA.  Would anybody have any information they'd be willing to share on this vessel specifically or on similarly aged sisterships?  Anything good or bad?  

Thanks in advance,
Jacob 


Re: Admiral Bill

Mark Erdos
 

When I see a post from Bill Rouse, I never question if it is correct or not. I take it as fact.

 

When we purchased Cream Puff, Bill sent me a DVD with all his maintenance files and manuals. It is still my first go to source when I have a question or need to understand something better. I can honestly say, Bill was one of reasons we purchased an Amel. He was so passionate on the forum (we joined prior to our purchases) that it made me question many of the things we found in other boats. He certainly made Joel's job a little easier. I have slowly found out he was right and there was good reason for his passion. I have emailed Bill several times outside the forum and he has always taken time to respond. I wish I could download his brain (just the Amel stuff) and have it for the rest of our cruising days. Bill contributions to this group are priceless.

 

Selfishly, I hope Bill doesn't leave us cold turkey. This forum will never be quite the same without him.

 

Bill, thank you, thank you, thank you.

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Yacht: Cream Puff and Bill's biggest fan

 

SM2K #275 - Currently cruising: Key West, FL - Still waiting for the wind to change direction

 

 

www.creampuff.us

___


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Admiral Bill

karkauai
 

Here Here!!
We're going to miss you Bill, please don't make us go cold turkey!
Kent



Admiral Bill

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Here Here
Danny