Date   
Re: Prop antifouling

James Cromie
 

Has anyone tried simply rubbing marine grease on the prop every 2 - 3 months?  I have been told that this works well for periods up to about 3 months.  Haven’t tried it myself yet…

James
SV Soteria, preparing to sail Aruba to Cartagena

On Oct 31, 2019, at 8:39 PM, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

I tried PropSpeed 3 separate times. (They certainly are proud of that stuff!)
I had the same results as you. Very unsatisfactory. I tried everything, and finally found a decent solution.
<image1.jpeg>
I use the spray. About $35 US for a can.
I use the whole can on my underwater metal, usually 3 or 4 coats on the prop. I burnish the fully dried paint with a heavy duty scotch brite pad, to expose the zinc (not on the edges, but the flats of the blades).
In an entire season, not a single barnacle or growth of any kind on the prop. And the paint stayed adhered to my stainless prop. I don’t burnish the other underwater metals, and do have some growth on them, so the burnishing is important. I spray the prop once a year.


~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 31, 2019, at 7:14 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Looking for advice- I'm doing a bottom job in 6 weeks. Last year I used Propspeed on my Autoprop and 6 months later there was no evidence of it.....the barnacles however were flourishing. While I enjoy diving I like it better without a scraper in my hand.  Given the cost of Propspeed, 6 months is unacceptable. Would love to know if there's something better out there.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama

Re: A54 genoa furler tube grease

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Cheers

Danny

On 01 November 2019 at 12:14 Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

 
Hi Danny,

Thanks, I’ll keep my hear out for bad noises from there. 

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO 
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia 

On 15 Oct 2019, at 09:55, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Hi Thomas, if amel used thecsame system as the sm the wire on the forestay is slathered with grease before it is inserted into the foil. This is to lubricate the wire/foil conection as the sail is rolled and unrolled. They used a high viscosity grease but in warmer areas it becomes a bit fluid and leaks out the bottom. Bit messy but not a big issue. Eventually it will need replenishing indicated by a scraping noise when you are furling. If you ever have the forestay off for any reason take the oportunity to grease the stay then.

Regards Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 16 October 2019 at 08:20 Sv Garulfo < svgarulfo@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Recently our genoa furler tube started to leak a bit of grease at the connection with the furler motor.

Does anyone know how it should be topped up and with what type of grease? Any more permanent fix?

Note that the furler motor was upgraded to a Reckmann by the former owner and that the tube is a black, 2-rail one, which I believe is not the original (ie the 3-rail grey ones I’ve seen on other 54s). I wouldn’t think it matters too much to the problem though. 

Many thanks!

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia 


 


 

Re: Prop antifouling

Matt Salatino
 

I tried PropSpeed 3 separate times. (They certainly are proud of that stuff!)
I had the same results as you. Very unsatisfactory. I tried everything, and finally found a decent solution.
image1.jpeg
I use the spray. About $35 US for a can.
I use the whole can on my underwater metal, usually 3 or 4 coats on the prop. I burnish the fully dried paint with a heavy duty scotch brite pad, to expose the zinc (not on the edges, but the flats of the blades).
In an entire season, not a single barnacle or growth of any kind on the prop. And the paint stayed adhered to my stainless prop. I don’t burnish the other underwater metals, and do have some growth on them, so the burnishing is important. I spray the prop once a year.


~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 31, 2019, at 7:14 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Looking for advice- I'm doing a bottom job in 6 weeks. Last year I used Propspeed on my Autoprop and 6 months later there was no evidence of it.....the barnacles however were flourishing. While I enjoy diving I like it better without a scraper in my hand.  Given the cost of Propspeed, 6 months is unacceptable. Would love to know if there's something better out there.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama

Re: Leroy Somer Spare parts

karkauai
 

I had some made by 3D printing in nylon that seem to be holding up.  Contact Ronan at Pro 3D Printing Services +1 (410) 831-5891

They were $150 each with the cost of design work.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
karkauai@...
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Oct 30, 2019, at 4:16 PM, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

He paul ,
We ordert new gaerboxes in Italy and install one new .
It was not expencive
Only the leroy somer motor you ca order it only by amel
It was not possoble to order the motor  by leroy somer

When you intrested i will lock tomorow for some fotos and mre details

Best
Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet



Re: A54 genoa furler tube grease

Sv Garulfo
 

Hi Danny,

Thanks, I’ll keep my hear out for bad noises from there. 

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO 
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia 

On 15 Oct 2019, at 09:55, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Thomas, if amel used thecsame system as the sm the wire on the forestay is slathered with grease before it is inserted into the foil. This is to lubricate the wire/foil conection as the sail is rolled and unrolled. They used a high viscosity grease but in warmer areas it becomes a bit fluid and leaks out the bottom. Bit messy but not a big issue. Eventually it will need replenishing indicated by a scraping noise when you are furling. If you ever have the forestay off for any reason take the oportunity to grease the stay then.

Regards Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 16 October 2019 at 08:20 Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Recently our genoa furler tube started to leak a bit of grease at the connection with the furler motor.

Does anyone know how it should be topped up and with what type of grease? Any more permanent fix?

Note that the furler motor was upgraded to a Reckmann by the former owner and that the tube is a black, 2-rail one, which I believe is not the original (ie the 3-rail grey ones I’ve seen on other 54s). I wouldn’t think it matters too much to the problem though. 

Many thanks!

Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia 

Prop antifouling

Thomas Kleman
 

Looking for advice- I'm doing a bottom job in 6 weeks. Last year I used Propspeed on my Autoprop and 6 months later there was no evidence of it.....the barnacles however were flourishing. While I enjoy diving I like it better without a scraper in my hand.  Given the cost of Propspeed, 6 months is unacceptable. Would love to know if there's something better out there.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Bocas del Toro Panama

Re: B&G Halcyon (GSC) Gyro-Stabilized Compass

 

Oliver,

Early 54s had Raymarine autopilots and a fluxgate compass. The fluxgate was located on the port side near the forward port side corner of the dining table sectional seating.

Later 54s had Furuno AutoPilots and had a Furuno electronic compass located on the Starboard side just forward of the saloon water tight bulkhead. The strange thing that I discovered is that B&G will not read the HDG of a Raymarine Fluxgate Compass from the NMEA OUT on the Raymarine processor, but the B&G will read HDG from the NMEA OUT of the Furuno compass. I have always believed that "fluxgate" is a Raymarine Trademark for an electronic compass.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
   


On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:47 PM Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:
Hi Wolfgang,

I think I got also only the fluxgate from Raymarine. I will look for it in the forward cabin. 

I could not find any other compass or wires for it when I remouved the hydra system 2 weeks ago. It was no more working and we replaced it by a NMEA2000 system. New windvane and tridata sounder with sonic speed integrated.

Maybe I need to add a faster Nmea 2k compass if the fluxgate updates slow. For now I did not reasise any delay

Regards Oliver
A54#39 
Vela Nautica 
Gibraltar 

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 11:09 Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Oliver,
In the moment I am not on the boat, but I think I only have the compass which belongs to the Furuno Autopilot, which is in the Bb Forwardcabin in the bilge. My boat is now in Fort Lauderdale and will be shipped to Gibraltar (hopefully) the next week. So I should be there end of November.
All the best to the group   Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162





Re: Main furling "clutch"

Paul Osterberg
 

Elja thank you is this Lery Somer or bogi something’s? But still I need to dismantle the “clutch nob” was it difficult to modify the gear box?
Paul

Re: Main furler

Paul Osterberg
 

Mark 
interesting, I thought I had a bearing puller, I bought one on Amazon but It miss one part. I have to see if I can find the missing part else might be possible to manufacture. Obviously one do like in your picture.
Paul

Re: Main furling "clutch"

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222
 

He Paul

This is the new one , you needn a little modifikation .



The old one



And both you can estimate see the work you have to do



Feel free to come bac any tome
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Re: Main furler

Mark McGovern
 

Paul,

I used a bearing puller:






--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Re: B&G Halcyon (GSC) Gyro-Stabilized Compass

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica
 

Hi Wolfgang,

I think I got also only the fluxgate from Raymarine. I will look for it in the forward cabin. 

I could not find any other compass or wires for it when I remouved the hydra system 2 weeks ago. It was no more working and we replaced it by a NMEA2000 system. New windvane and tridata sounder with sonic speed integrated.

Maybe I need to add a faster Nmea 2k compass if the fluxgate updates slow. For now I did not reasise any delay

Regards Oliver
A54#39 
Vela Nautica 
Gibraltar 

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 11:09 Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Oliver,
In the moment I am not on the boat, but I think I only have the compass which belongs to the Furuno Autopilot, which is in the Bb Forwardcabin in the bilge. My boat is now in Fort Lauderdale and will be shipped to Gibraltar (hopefully) the next week. So I should be there end of November.
All the best to the group   Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162





Main furling "clutch"

Paul Osterberg
 

Hello!
I have problem getting the Outer shaft out of the main furler gearbox, the inner is rock solid as well, in worst case I have to have a new shaft made, but at least I need to get the aluminium "clutch" nob off se picture. The gear wheel is locked with a spring washer that is not accessible, so I cant get the gear off. The clutch nob is not passing the hole in the lid, Any idea?
Paul on SY Kerpa AM#259

Main furler

Paul Osterberg
 

Hello! have dismantle the main furling gear to service with new seals and bearings and now I wonder how to get the bearing of the main shaft, se picture, Is it possible to take of the bearing without of the gear wheel? 
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Re: B&G Halcyon (GSC) Gyro-Stabilized Compass

Wolfgang Weber
 

Hello Oliver,
In the moment I am not on the boat, but I think I only have the compass which belongs to the Furuno Autopilot, which is in the Bb Forwardcabin in the bilge. My boat is now in Fort Lauderdale and will be shipped to Gibraltar (hopefully) the next week. So I should be there end of November.
All the best to the group   Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162





Re: B&G Halcyon (GSC) Gyro-Stabilized Compass

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica
 

Hello Wolfgang,

Where is the fluxgate hidden in A54? 
 Is there also a B&G halcyon?

Oliver 
A54#39 
Vela Nautica 
Gibraltar 


On Tue, Oct 29, 2019, 22:42 Wolfgang Weber via Groups.Io <webercardio=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,
I think a compass is also necessery.  The part is only the interface. 
Thank you very much Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162




Re: Amel Santorin Specs and Alterations

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica
 

Hello Marc,

I fully agree with you. 

I would give the same advice. Better buy a SM or A54 that comes with all the planed gear in place. 

We did the same, did not change anything, until we owned Vela Nautica a year. Exept I feeled like need to change some lines and regretted later because not all was reasonable. We learned that some gear (the usual suspects) needed urgent refit because maintenace was neglected by the old owner.

I would also agree, adding lithium is only something that will pay in a longer run than 3 years. Only it offers compfort with short gen times and less noise. But is a major project and took us 4 month until all was in place and working and tested as expected. Before we could do long range trips with a peacefull mind.

So long
Oliver 
A54#39 
Vela Nautica 
Gibraltar 

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019, 15:15 Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Orion,

 

I mean the upmost respect as I say this, I do not think the Santorin and adding upgrades is a good plan. You are looking to purchase an Amel and make significant investments and changes. Just the lithium upgrade along is going to cost US$15,000+, Aircon is another US$10,000+ etc (assuming you have an electrical system that can handle the load or you’ll have to make major changes).  Have you considered the cost of ownership while making these upgrades. They will all take considerable time. You will also need an electrician knowledgeable of Amel’s unique floating ground system (a very rare find). Why not buy the SM that already has this stuff. I think you can easily find a well kept Amel in this price range (maybe a tad more). Also keep in mind, in three years when you sell the SM, it will sell for more than the Santorin giving you your extra money back.

 

The best advice I received when purchasing Cream Puff was from Bill Rouse who told me not to change anything for a year. This was very sound advice that prove invaluable. We sailed the eastern USA for the first year of our cruising getting to know our Amel. Only then did we make a couple of changes. We added an arch and solar. We have tried to keep all systems on our vessel as close to the original design as possible. We learned very quickly about the level of detailed thought that went into the vessel design.

 

There is a very good string in this group regarding lithium upgrades. You will find it is not as easy as it sounds. You will also need to change alternators, battery chargers, regulators etc. These are major expensive components for a three year plan. Why not just install good quality batteries. Even if you change them all out midway, this is still 20% of the cost of the upgrade. A good set of Firefly batteries will last more than three years, again 1/3 the cost. I can see adding lithium for a ten year plan, but not a three.

 

I see you make no mention of a washer/dryer. Perhaps the most valuable piece of equipment on our boat is the washer/dryer. We have learned in our travels how doing laundry is a major pain. I can’t imagine cruising full-time without a washer/dryer. This sure has made life on anchor a lot more comfortable.

 

I think your idea of breaking even on upgrades you make to a vessel is a little myopic. All the upgrades will do is sell the vessel faster when it goes to market. You will never recoup monies spent on a boat. If you try, you’ll own the boat longer than planned.

 

My advice, either buy the Santorin and sail it as is. Or, buy the SM and sail it as is. The SM will offer more comforts and in my opinion is easier to sail.

 

This is just my 2¢, I’m sure others will disagree. But, I’d love to see their viewpoints also.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Orion Martin
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2019 8:18 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Amel Santorin Specs and Alterations

 

Good evening everyone,

After many months of struggling between the Super Maramu and the Santorin, we have settled on the Santorin to do a circumnavigation. In the end the main reasons was cost and time. We considered the possibility that a circumnavigation would take three years, in which all likelyhood we would never use the boat again once we had finished. While the SM is the perfect boat for us (if there is such a thing in yachting), the expenses involved to get the boat up to scratch before we even set sail (let alone the cost of the boat) we found hard to justify for a three year trip. So our next option is the Santorin, in which we think we can modify the galley (to include washing machine and extra bench space), modify the portside seating, add air con to the aft cabin, possibly build a solar arch and install lithium batteries, plus standard antifouling paint/servicing/other minor modifications for under $300k AUD(including the purchase of the boat. Any thoughts on this scenario and its feasibility would be most appreciated.

Regarding the Santorin, I have a few burning questions that i haven't been able to source the information for. Does the Santorin have:
- Freezer under salon seating?
- Any aircon? ( and is there space to install aircon units in aft/forward cabins and salon?)
- Is the Santorin 12V or 24V, and what is the advantage of having 24V compared with 12V?
- If I install the lithium batteries in the passageway, is it possible to fit a small generator in the engine room and do I need one? ( If I have lithium batteries and solar arch, I figure I may only have to turn on the main engine once a day to help charge the batteries with the lithium batteries holding enough power to run aircon in aft cabin during the evening).

I understand purchasing a yacht I would most likely not make any money when it came time to sell, though in this case i would hope to break even especially if we went to the trouble of doing these modifications to the Santorin that future buyers would appreciate. The only thing bugging me is whether the total cost involved with such an enterprise would be mostly recovered or I am throwing good money after bad and could perhaps be better off spending more to buy an SM with less headache.

Again thoughts and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards 
Orion

Re: Maramu - Goiot Y-Track Mizzen Car Repair

Randall
 

Jeremy,
Very nice. This is what we need, good clear pictures of what you did. I save all the how to articles. Nikimat was also one of my favorites for doing it this way.
Many new to us AMEL owners will rely on these contributions.
Simply put just telling me what you did, would for most people be. blah blah blah. So thank you.

Randall
Amel 54 #56

Maramu - Goiot Y-Track Mizzen Car Repair

mr_hermanns
 

Hey everyone!

i recently had my Mizzen sheet cars fail during a sail. The pin pull ring failed and literally one disintegrated and the other split on the same sail trip!

Ive attached photos of my ‘Dual Washer and Steel Stick JB Weld’ approach.
its one smaller washer that is fit to stop at the pins increased diameter + a heavy washer to allow for ease of movement and support (aka no bending). I used JB Weld Steel Stick after roughing up the two washers with sand paper. 

$5 repair when RigRight wants $100’s for replacement parts.

See images!

 
--
Jeremy Hermanns - "Jer"
SVCerulean.com
Maramu #105
Marina Del Rey, CA

Re: Amel Santorin Specs and Alterations

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi John, i understand from your email that you had 50 knots on the nose for three days on the way to Tonga I would like to learn from you. What sail did you have up and what angle to the wind were you sailing. Interested whether you were close hauled, tight reaching or hove to. You Southern Kiwis are tough.   

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 30 October 2019 at 21:26 JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...> wrote:

No we regularly get 50  plus knots in cook strait that are easier to deal with from a northerly direction than from the south. (Nothing between us and the Antarctic ). which means the wind cold and more constant or less gusty. In early July had 55 knots for three days trying to head north to Tonga past the kermadec islands. 

I’m always happier to sail in 50 knots than be anchored waiting for an anchor to drag!

My boat is based in Wellington. Ie 41 degrees south and while in a westerly wind flow the winds alter course and are either north or south because of mountains and a wind funnel affect between the north and south islands 

This is not territory for Mediterranean day sailors ........and I regret to say the new Amel designs which seem oriented to that market

My Santorin has proved safe though not always comfortable in these conditions ie 50 plus knots and 6 to 8 m waves. The point is to understand such conditions are not uncommon and a prudent skipper needs to be sure his boat ( and crew ) are up to the task. You may have noticed about a month ago a 47 foot yacht sank 35 miles off bream head off the bay of islands 

The skipper died three crew rescued by helicopter...... in 50 knot winds. Not sure what brand of boat but I’ll bet money it was not a Santorin........ check it out in google or the yachting blogs


Answering your second question yes

And why would you not if you no your going to get caught in such conditions??  I’n my view it’s important to know that the skipper boat and crew are up for whatever might get thrown at them



And Hans Peter while your thinking spare a thought for one James Cook who 250 years ago wandered these parts in a small square rigged ship no engine no charts no sat nav or gps radio etc etc. got to tell you having followed some of his foot steps that he was an astonishingly competent seaman, sailor and navigator.

Best

John Hayes 
Nga Waka sn41




 

On 29/10/2019, at 10:32 AM, hanspeter baettig <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote:

Sorry John 55 Kn = 10 Bft

------ Original Nachricht ------
Am Montag, 28. Okt, 2019 um 22:27, hanspeter baettig schrieb:


Hi John
Two questions only.
You sailed headwinds in 55 kn , means 12 Btf. or you where at ancer in a shelterd bay
2.You tryed your Santorin by purpose in 50 kn of wind?
fair winds Hanspeter
waiting for a genious reply!
Hanspeter
Tamango 2
SM16
Martinique
------ Original Nachricht ------
Am Montag, 28. Okt, 2019 um 18:06, JOHN HAYES schrieb:

Gidday Orion 

I’ve done pretty much what your considering

So I began looking for a cruising ketch with centre cockpit and  confined my choice to a Contest, Harley rassie (sp?) or an Amel and ended up with a Santorin and have been very happy with the choice.  All amounts that follow are in NZ dollars

I came across a 1991 Santorin sailed to NZ from the Med. it has now had 4 owners and its name has been changed by each owner

I sailed it first around our South Island and the next year the north island and have just completed a voyage Wellington Nuku’alofa Vava’u Savusavu Denarau Vanuatu Noumea Wellington without incident except 55 knot head winds at times until a couple of days from Tonga

Living in the roaring 40’s we encounter strong winds at times.....I purposely took the boat out in winds of 50 plus knots to see what might break and those trips were important first to give me confidence in the boat. I had no previous knowledge of Amel and it’s systems

So costs

Boat $155k

Slip and take antifouling back to gel coat $10000. 
An extravagance!!!  Should have set up with cover cost .....,
Installed Zeus 2 chart plotter new wind gear and depth sounder $8000

Added AIS $1250

Replaced anchor chain with 120m  10mm Italian made chain $1500

Re galvanised anchors $200

On the first trip the Bimini blew apart replaced and redesigned in superior cloth $7500

The wind generator lost its feathers and I replaced with a silent wind $5000

We had to cut down the Genoa trying to get into akaroa harbour in 60 knots with the engine overheating and the headsail furling motor dying and I did not understand the need to cross over the sheets on the manual system

New Genoa $5000 rebuild furler motor and the gears in the gear box $4500

The motor was a Perkins 50 hp. It has a spline driven water pump which if not aligned precisely with a special tool chews up the spline in the water pump shaft. Happened twice cost $1250 each time for new spline and pump

Replaced the motor with a Volvo D250 and all skin fittings before heading to the pacific $32000

Brought new tender $3300 (don’t like it too heavy) plan to buy a carbon fibre replacement circa  $8000

Replaced all mattresses and interior upholstery $8000

New main $3800. New mizzen $2000 

New rigging $17000

Rebuilt the 3 furler motors $3000

Replaced stove $1600

New 6 person life raft $3800

Added a portable freezer to the front hanging locker. Been excellent $800. There is no freezer under the seats on my boat

Overhauled bow thruster $500

Overhauled spectra water maker by agent $750

Added second raycor fuel filter $750

Added forward scanner $2600. Might have been smarter to upgrade to a Zeus 3 has cheaper scanner connection.....I found Navico charts excellent  and forward scanner marginal value

Replaced engine room fans $120

Replaced dodger windows $460

Replaced running rigging. $1500

Replaced flares added plbs life jackets. NZ required first aid kit $3500

Put on part b of the New outboard motor for tender $2000

I’ve also thought about adding an inner forestay which the SM has 

My experience is that the prop generator and the wind generator provides all the power we have needed.  We also have a couple of solar panels but don’t really need them

You might want to think about what you add to the stern. The large stern locker means we continually fight to minimise weight in the stern Because it affects bow stern trim. We carry the tender on the roof of the aft cabin which adds to the problem
Have I over capitalised?  To secure insurance for off shore  cost $5200. I had to get the boat valued. The value was $260k 

Hope the foregoing is of use to your consideration 

The Santorin has excellent seakeeping qualities l love it!!

John Hayes 
Nga Waka sn 41

Wellington  

















 

On 29/10/2019, at 1:18 AM, Orion Martin < poonz1@... > wrote:

Good evening everyone,

After many months of struggling between the Super Maramu and the Santorin, we have settled on the Santorin to do a circumnavigation. In the end the main reasons was cost and time. We considered the possibility that a circumnavigation would take three years, in which all likelyhood we would never use the boat again once we had finished. While the SM is the perfect boat for us (if there is such a thing in yachting), the expenses involved to get the boat up to scratch before we even set sail (let alone the cost of the boat) we found hard to justify for a three year trip. So our next option is the Santorin, in which we think we can modify the galley (to include washing machine and extra bench space), modify the portside seating, add air con to the aft cabin, possibly build a solar arch and install lithium batteries, plus standard antifouling paint/servicing/other minor modifications for under $300k AUD(including the purchase of the boat. Any thoughts on this scenario and its feasibility would be most appreciated.

Regarding the Santorin, I have a few burning questions that i haven't been able to source the information for. Does the Santorin have:
- Freezer under salon seating?
- Any aircon? ( and is there space to install aircon units in aft/forward cabins and salon?)
- Is the Santorin 12V or 24V, and what is the advantage of having 24V compared with 12V?
- If I install the lithium batteries in the passageway, is it possible to fit a small generator in the engine room and do I need one? ( If I have lithium batteries and solar arch, I figure I may only have to turn on the main engine once a day to help charge the batteries with the lithium batteries holding enough power to run aircon in aft cabin during the evening).

I understand purchasing a yacht I would most likely not make any money when it came time to sell, though in this case i would hope to break even especially if we went to the trouble of doing these modifications to the Santorin that future buyers would appreciate. The only thing bugging me is whether the total cost involved with such an enterprise would be mostly recovered or I am throwing good money after bad and could perhaps be better off spending more to buy an SM with less headache.

Again thoughts and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards 
Orion
</hanspeter.baettig@...>