Date   

Re: [Amel] Re: perkins m60 replacement

Eric Lindholm <etlindholm@...>
 

Dave I will have to check my records next time I am at the boat and let you
know. I think it is a 19" diameter by 17" pitch, but I requested a prop with the
greatest blade area I could get. I found that when I was pushing into the
weather with the original Amel supplied prop, that my speed was going down, but
my RPM was staying the same, so it was not a power issue, but the prop slipping.
I should be by the boat this week. Eric 


________________________________
From: Dave_Benjamin <dave_benjamin@yahoo.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, April 23, 2012 5:42:19 PM
Subject: [Amel] Re: perkins m60 replacement

 
Eric,

Which prop are you running?

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Eric Lindholm <etlindholm@...> wrote:

Maramus require 28 hp to cruise at 6.5 knots calm seas and 59 hp to hit max
speed. The engines are the same except for the turbo basically. My yanmar dealer
who is a nationally recognized repower whiz recomended the 75 hp not just for
the extra power, but he said the turbo version would provide increased economy
and no extra maintenance if you just follow yanmars guidelines. I did all the
work myself and can give you some tips if you do the same. Using the old trans
makes the job pretty simple, almost like reinstalling the old motor. It is
pretty straightforward.

I like the extra power going against weather. I also run the most powerful
fixed prop, as it does no good to have extra power if you can't apply it.
Performance is much better all around in all areas. You will be very happy.

Eric Maramu 105

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


[Amel] Re: perkins m60 replacement

Dave_Benjamin
 

Eric,

Which prop are you running?

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Eric Lindholm <etlindholm@...> wrote:

Maramus require 28 hp to cruise at 6.5 knots calm seas and 59 hp to hit max speed. The engines are the same except for the turbo basically. My yanmar dealer who is a nationally recognized repower whiz recomended the 75 hp not just for the extra power, but he said the turbo version would provide increased economy and no extra maintenance if you just follow yanmars guidelines. I did all the work myself and can give you some tips if you do the same. Using the old trans makes the job pretty simple, almost like reinstalling the old motor. It is pretty straightforward.
I like the extra power going against weather. I also run the most powerful fixed prop, as it does no good to have extra power if you can't apply it. Performance is much better all around in all areas. You will be very happy.

Eric Maramu 105

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: [Amel] Radar Reflection

bootlegger@...
 

Many thanks for the advice. Reflector now fitted midway between Ratheon radar unit and mizzen masthead.

The Boot
SM2K

------Original Message------
From: Richard03801
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
ReplyTo: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel] Radar Reflection
Sent: 23 Apr 2012 18:15

Hi we keep a radar reflector at the top of the mizzen mast that works well.
SM 209 For sale in Annapolis
Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Apr 23, 2012, at 11:46, bootlegger@mailasail.com wrote:


Is it necessary and practical to fit a radar blipper / reflector on the main mast high above the top spreader with the possibility of the headsail fouling it during tacking?

I must say I cannot recall ever having seen a reflector fitted on an Amel and always assumed there was enough relective elements on board to provide the necessary degree of reflection.

This assumption was compounded on being advised by ships in the vicinity when calling them for a 'radar check' that they had had us on radar for typically 10 - 15 nm.

Can anyone advise?

The Boot

SM2K 321
------Original Message------
From: Barb
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
ReplyTo: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] New Yanmar
Sent: 20 Apr 2012 10:46

Hi all,
Thank you for your information which is very much appreciated. We have now decided upon the 110 hp Yanmar

The mechanic wants to ensure that the C drive is a 1 to 1 ratio.
We are looking at a Gori prop 24 inch with a 15 pitch - if anyone has any better ideas they sure would be appreciated.

Regards
Barb
Super Maramu Sueno Azul
No.39 1991



Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Cable & Wireless

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links



Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Cable & Wireless


Re: [Amel] Re: electric propulsion

Bill <leonorebt@...>
 

CHECK UQM TECHNOLOGIES AS THEY HAVE RECENTLY TEAMED UP WITH A COMPANY TO DO BOAT ELECTRIC PROPULSION SYSTEMS. THEIR SPECIALTY IS ELECTRIC PROPULSION SYSTEMS FOR
ELECTRIC CARS, TRUCKS,AND BUSES.

William Rahmig

On Apr 22, 2012, at 10:34 AM, "Alain Feuillet" <alainfeuillet@laposte.net> wrote:

This document is not at all a direct answer to your question but a valuable
information on electric power management

http://yourbittorrent.com/go/4/tomtom%20navigator%206%20france%20majors%20ro
ad%20europe%20v6%2050

Also you should consider the LiFePo batteries of Mastervolt in your study:
lightweight and small size, very high charging speed, high cost but rather
long life.

You should look at a diesel genset which is optimised not only at full
charge ie variable speed and intelligent inverter. I hope it exists.

Powerfull electric engines seems not to be the problem.

But first thing is to define whether you want to have available 60 to 75HP
in continuous service or only for three hours.

Brgds

Alain

PILGRIM SM#26

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: [Amel] Radar Reflection

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>
 

Hi we keep a radar reflector at the top of the mizzen mast that works well.
SM 209 For sale in Annapolis
Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Apr 23, 2012, at 11:46, bootlegger@mailasail.com wrote:


Is it necessary and practical to fit a radar blipper / reflector on the main mast high above the top spreader with the possibility of the headsail fouling it during tacking?

I must say I cannot recall ever having seen a reflector fitted on an Amel and always assumed there was enough relective elements on board to provide the necessary degree of reflection.

This assumption was compounded on being advised by ships in the vicinity when calling them for a 'radar check' that they had had us on radar for typically 10 - 15 nm.

Can anyone advise?

The Boot

SM2K 321
------Original Message------
From: Barb
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
ReplyTo: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] New Yanmar
Sent: 20 Apr 2012 10:46

Hi all,
Thank you for your information which is very much appreciated. We have now decided upon the 110 hp Yanmar

The mechanic wants to ensure that the C drive is a 1 to 1 ratio.
We are looking at a Gori prop 24 inch with a 15 pitch - if anyone has any better ideas they sure would be appreciated.

Regards
Barb
Super Maramu Sueno Azul
No.39 1991



Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Cable & Wireless

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links



Re: [Amel] Radar Reflection

eric freedman
 

With the suggestion of Ian and Judy on pen-azen
We mounted a see-me radar transponder on our mizzen. It works fine.
Fair Winds
Eric
Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

-----Original Message-----
From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
bootlegger@mailasail.com
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 11:46 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] Radar Reflection


Is it necessary and practical to fit a radar blipper / reflector on the main
mast high above the top spreader with the possibility of the headsail
fouling it during tacking?

I must say I cannot recall ever having seen a reflector fitted on an Amel
and always assumed there was enough relective elements on board to provide
the necessary degree of reflection.

This assumption was compounded on being advised by ships in the vicinity
when calling them for a 'radar check' that they had had us on radar for
typically 10 - 15 nm.

Can anyone advise?

The Boot

SM2K 321
------Original Message------
From: Barb
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
ReplyTo: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] New Yanmar
Sent: 20 Apr 2012 10:46

Hi all,
Thank you for your information which is very much appreciated. We have now
decided upon the 110 hp Yanmar

The mechanic wants to ensure that the C drive is a 1 to 1 ratio.
We are looking at a Gori prop 24 inch with a 15 pitch - if anyone has any
better ideas they sure would be appreciated.

Regards
Barb
Super Maramu Sueno Azul
No.39 1991



Sent from my BlackBerryR device from Cable & Wireless

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links


Radar Reflection

bootlegger@...
 

Is it necessary and practical to fit a radar blipper / reflector on the main mast high above the top spreader with the possibility of the headsail fouling it during tacking?

I must say I cannot recall ever having seen a reflector fitted on an Amel and always assumed there was enough relective elements on board to provide the necessary degree of reflection.

This assumption was compounded on being advised by ships in the vicinity when calling them for a 'radar check' that they had had us on radar for typically 10 - 15 nm.

Can anyone advise?

The Boot

SM2K 321

------Original Message------
From: Barb
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
ReplyTo: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] New Yanmar
Sent: 20 Apr 2012 10:46

Hi all,
Thank you for your information which is very much appreciated. We have now decided upon the 110 hp Yanmar

The mechanic wants to ensure that the C drive is a 1 to 1 ratio.
We are looking at a Gori prop 24 inch with a 15 pitch - if anyone has any better ideas they sure would be appreciated.

Regards
Barb
Super Maramu Sueno Azul
No.39 1991



Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Cable & Wireless


bill-bebe--switch

eric freedman
 

Bill,

I will be able to order these switches, however I have a marine company with
a resale number

They will sell open stock only to companies. I can get them for you using my
resale number.

Where are you

? Fair Winds

Eric

Dm


Re: [Amel] AIS on a FURUNO Nav-Net Chart-plotter

Richard03801 <richard03801@...>
 

When interfacing to you plotter be sure your AIS is a NEMA 0183 output.

Regards

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Apr 23, 2012, at 6:55, "sailorbowen" <sailorbowen@yahoo.com> wrote:

Recent FURUNO Nav-Net systems can have AIS integrated so that the vessel details come up on the chart-plotter.

The current FURUNO 1920 unit looks like the one fitted to 2005 S-Ms.
Can AIS be implemented on the 2005 S-M.
Possibly a software upgrade is required.

Has anyone actually done it?

Kind regards
Bill Bowen


Re: [Amel] AIS on a FURUNO Nav-Net Chart-plotter

Dennis Woods <DENNISWOODS@...>
 

You should have navnet 2 software which is AIS compatable. Dennis. SM408 Il FLAUTO MAGICO

On 23 Apr 2012, at 11:55, "sailorbowen" <sailorbowen@yahoo.com> wrote:

Recent FURUNO Nav-Net systems can have AIS integrated so that the vessel details come up on the chart-plotter.

The current FURUNO 1920 unit looks like the one fitted to 2005 S-Ms.
Can AIS be implemented on the 2005 S-M.
Possibly a software upgrade is required.

Has anyone actually done it?

Kind regards
Bill Bowen


Swapping Chart-plotters

sailorbowen <sailorbowen@...>
 

I usually sail with my wife only and rarely use the chart-table.
At night we are alone in the cockpit and like to check the radar often.
Is it possible to swap the large chart-plotter at the chart table on a 2005 S-M with the small one in the cockpit?

Has anyone actually done it?

Kind regards
Bill Bowen


AIS on a FURUNO Nav-Net Chart-plotter

sailorbowen <sailorbowen@...>
 

Recent FURUNO Nav-Net systems can have AIS integrated so that the vessel details come up on the chart-plotter.

The current FURUNO 1920 unit looks like the one fitted to 2005 S-Ms.
Can AIS be implemented on the 2005 S-M.
Possibly a software upgrade is required.

Has anyone actually done it?

Kind regards
Bill Bowen


Re: [Amel] Re: perkins m60 replacement

Eric Lindholm <etlindholm@...>
 

Maramus require 28 hp to cruise at 6.5 knots calm seas and 59 hp to hit max speed. The engines are the same except for the turbo basically. My yanmar dealer who is a nationally recognized repower whiz recomended the 75 hp not just for the extra power, but he said the turbo version would provide increased economy and no extra maintenance if you just follow yanmars guidelines. I did all the work myself and can give you some tips if you do the same. Using the old trans makes the job pretty simple, almost like reinstalling the old motor. It is pretty straightforward.
I like the extra power going against weather. I also run the most powerful fixed prop, as it does no good to have extra power if you can't apply it. Performance is much better all around in all areas. You will be very happy.

Eric Maramu 105


Re: Which oil

jjjk12s <jjjk12s@...>
 

Jean_Paul,

Short answer...In your situation I would use a good quality 15W40 basic type mineral diesel engine oil, eg API CD if you can get it.

Long answer...If you stay in a warm area you can use a monograde like straight W40 - an advantage is thicker oil in old engine can be beneficial as you probably have more clearance in bearings etc than a new engine and the thicker oil helps keep up oil pressure. Not good in cold weather when cold starting though as there can be initial wear due to insufficient lubrication before engine warms up. Multigrade like 15W40 is better then (eg winter in Greece).

Other question is brand. I don't think this makes any difference as it depends what is available where you are. Each brand will have a range of oils from simple to very fancy.

Next question is how high-tech? Lots of additives or expensive synthetic oil? On an old engine best not to get too fancy. Yacht engine use is different to vehicle use for which engine oils are developed. Too high a spec (higher API) can lead to bore glazing and wear.

High additive modern oils contain detergents to minimise sludge. If you change to them after long use of an older style oil the detergents can get more gunk suspended from inside the engine in the oil. You may need to change the oil and filter more regularly for at least the next due change.

New engines have seals made to cope with modern synthetic oils. Your old engine was not designed for these and changing to synthetic has potential for leaks.

Hope this helps.

John Maramu #91 Popeye

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Dave_Benjamin" <dave_benjamin@...> wrote:

We use Rotella.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "JP Mans" <jp-gaill@> wrote:

Hi all
I am a new maramu owner and I'd like some advice :
The boat is equiped with a well maintained Perkins 4158 (3400h).
On the boat there are some oil-filters, impellers and diesel-filters in reserve that I intend to change. I need to change also the oil, so which oil do you recomand me ? The boat is actually in Tunesia and I'll sail to Greece this summer.
Thanks for advices
Jean-Paul


Re: [Amel] Re: Which oil

karkauai
 

My Yanmar info and mechanic say 15w40. No particular brand
Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone powered by Alltel

-----Original Message-----
From: Sailormon <kimberlite@optonline.net>
Sender: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 16:46:42
To: <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Reply-To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Amel] Re: Which oil

I also use Rotella straight 40 weight. That was recommended by Yanmar and
not 10w-40.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite





_____

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dave_Benjamin
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:35 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] Re: Which oil





We use Rotella.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , "JP Mans" <jp-gaill@...> wrote:

Hi all
I am a new maramu owner and I'd like some advice :
The boat is equiped with a well maintained Perkins 4158 (3400h).
On the boat there are some oil-filters, impellers and diesel-filters in
reserve that I intend to change. I need to change also the oil, so which oil
do you recomand me ? The boat is actually in Tunesia and I'll sail to Greece
this summer.
Thanks for advices
Jean-Paul


Re: [Amel] Re: Which oil

eric freedman
 

I also use Rotella straight 40 weight. That was recommended by Yanmar and
not 10w-40.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite





_____

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dave_Benjamin
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:35 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] Re: Which oil





We use Rotella.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , "JP Mans" <jp-gaill@...> wrote:

Hi all
I am a new maramu owner and I'd like some advice :
The boat is equiped with a well maintained Perkins 4158 (3400h).
On the boat there are some oil-filters, impellers and diesel-filters in
reserve that I intend to change. I need to change also the oil, so which oil
do you recomand me ? The boat is actually in Tunesia and I'll sail to Greece
this summer.
Thanks for advices
Jean-Paul


Re: 1997 amel euros rigging tension

Geza Szabo <rotormail@...>
 

Have you checked the mast step and compression post to insure that the rig
is not loosening due to the mast moving downwards?
My Euros rig was getting loose because of this. The crossbeam at the aft
end of the shower bilge was rotten. Had to replace it.


Re: perkins m60 replacement

Dave_Benjamin
 

We have the same Yanmar as Eric. The boat has some excess power but it's sure having that power when we motorsail up the California coast against a strong NW'ly and adverse seas. We can make good speed when other boats are lucky to make 2 or 3 knots.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "rossny@..." <rossny@...> wrote:

Eric,
Do you find your maramu overpowered with the 75hp? Was the boat under powered with the original 60hp? The 53hp and 75hp are about the same size and weight but I cannot get a price until Monday. Did you do the work yourself? How long did it take?

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Eric Lindholm <etlindholm@> wrote:

Ross I reused my transmission in my repower with a 75hp Yanmar. Works fine and makes the job much easier.

Eric Maramu 105

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


Re: Which oil

Dave_Benjamin
 

We use Rotella.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "JP Mans" <jp-gaill@...> wrote:

Hi all
I am a new maramu owner and I'd like some advice :
The boat is equiped with a well maintained Perkins 4158 (3400h).
On the boat there are some oil-filters, impellers and diesel-filters in reserve that I intend to change. I need to change also the oil, so which oil do you recomand me ? The boat is actually in Tunesia and I'll sail to Greece this summer.
Thanks for advices
Jean-Paul


Re: perkins m60 replacement

rossny@mail.com
 

Eric,
Do you find your maramu overpowered with the 75hp? Was the boat under powered with the original 60hp? The 53hp and 75hp are about the same size and weight but I cannot get a price until Monday. Did you do the work yourself? How long did it take?

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Eric Lindholm <etlindholm@...> wrote:

Ross I reused my transmission in my repower with a 75hp Yanmar. Works fine and makes the job much easier.

Eric Maramu 105