Date   
New Caliper design for the Shaft Brake

 

Eric,

The price Amel quoted is 416.24€ plus freight. It is my understanding that Amel is shipping this new caliper now, but I do not know how much inventory they have.

I agree, I like the design. I spoke with Thierry regarding the fit and ease of installation. He said that he could not be 100% sure of the ease of installation, but he assured me that it would install. It is made by the same company that made the older design on your boat. If I were you, I would ask Amel SAV directly, as the answer may have evolved in the last 2 months.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970



On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 9:47 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Bill,

It looks very nice. What was the cost from Amel?

I have some parts waiting to get put together at Amel for shipment. When do you think this assembly will be shipped. Is it for the Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu?

Fair Winds

Eric

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2019 4:55 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Shaft brake conundrum, any ideas appreciated!

 

Porter, et al

I have been waiting to respond because there were some things developing.

Amel recently quoted a new and improved caliper assembly to one of my clients who originally ordered brake shoe assemblies. I added a photo of this improved calipher here: https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/photo/84614/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

From what I understand from Amel this will be used going forward and that the pads and other parts for the old caliper may not be available anymore. I also understood from them that they were not sure of the difficulty in installing this new part.

I like the design of the new part. As soon as my client installs it, I will post whether there were and difficulties.
--

 

Best,

 

Bill Rouse
Yacht School  
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Re: Amel SM 2000 in the UK

Andrew & Kate Lamb
 

Hi Mark

 

Yes I think that might be possible – we live near Toulouse but are  planning the annual lift out for  4 days  on the 29th of April to 2nd of May  and then will be there or nearby until the weekend of the 11th of May.

 

Regards

 

Andrew

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Barter
Sent: Friday, April 5, 2019 2:49 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Amel SM 2000 in the UK

 

Hi Andrew,

I am looking at the possibility of a few days cycling in Girona at the beginning of May. Perpignan is only an hour or so away. Are you in the area around that time?

Kind regards
Mark

Re: Amel SM 2000 in the UK

Mark Barter
 

Hi Andrew,

I am looking at the possibility of a few days cycling in Girona at the beginning of May. Perpignan is only an hour or so away. Are you in the area around that time?

Kind regards
Mark

Re: Discharge manifold repair/replacement

eric freedman
 

Hi ,

Do you have any idea as to who makes these fittings?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of rossirossix4
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:11 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Discharge manifold repair/replacement

 

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Paul,
This may apply although it involves the distribution manifold and might be of general interest.  When I was in the Amel shop in Le Marin (not that far from you), this caught my eye.  François, who had fabricated it explained that it was for an Amel 54 and I believe he said it was €800.  Looked like a really great idea to me....I took a pic and made a mental note to think about making up one back in the States using Bill's dimensions.  (For you SM owners) he did indicate to me that he would consider fabricating one for an SM.  Gotta love the individual ball valves. Plus acid cleaner possibilities....


Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI

Re: Shaft brake conundrum, any ideas appreciated!

eric freedman
 

Bill,

It looks very nice. What was the cost from Amel?

I have some parts waiting to get put together at Amel for shipment. When do you think this assembly will be shipped. Is it for the Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu?

Fair Winds

Eric

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2019 4:55 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Shaft brake conundrum, any ideas appreciated!

 

Porter, et al

I have been waiting to respond because there were some things developing.

Amel recently quoted a new and improved caliper assembly to one of my clients who originally ordered brake shoe assemblies. I added a photo of this improved calipher here: https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/photo/84614/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

From what I understand from Amel this will be used going forward and that the pads and other parts for the old caliper may not be available anymore. I also understood from them that they were not sure of the difficulty in installing this new part.

I like the design of the new part. As soon as my client installs it, I will post whether there were and difficulties.
--

 

Best,

 

Bill Rouse
Yacht School  
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Re: Shaft brake conundrum, any ideas appreciated!

 

Porter, et al

I have been waiting to respond because there were some things developing.

Amel recently quoted a new and improved caliper assembly to one of my clients who originally ordered brake shoe assemblies. I added a photo of this improved calipher here: https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/photo/84614/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

From what I understand from Amel this will be used going forward and that the pads and other parts for the old caliper may not be available anymore. I also understood from them that they were not sure of the difficulty in installing this new part.

I like the design of the new part. As soon as my client installs it, I will post whether there were and difficulties.
--
 
Best,
 
Bill Rouse
Yacht School  
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Re: Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Bill, 

We are in agreement that if the engine mounts are changed alignment is needed.  In my case the bushes had worn through and the bolts holding the coupling together were loose and one was broken and yet no vibration. I had no alignment issues. We were in Tonga at the end of our Pacific crossing. Lucky it lasted.

Moving on. It is impossible to remove the bolts without getting the coupling off the c drive. Getting that off, as has been attested by many, is near impossible.After trying hard to get it off I opted for the simple and effective solution. I cut the heads off and replaced the bolts with nuts at both ends. I lost the locating system on the heads of the bolts but I used nyloc nuts and I have had no issue with the bolts loosening any more than the original. However it is important to regularly check these coupling bolts. Needs to be part of the regular engine room check.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 April 2019 at 08:21 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Danny,

Your situation was rarer than you think.

A significant amount of owners don't change the Vetus coupling bushings until after the failed bushings has caused the running engine has shaken everything out of alignment.

And, most owners need to change the the motor mounts at the same time.

Thus, the Amel alignment coupling blank.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970



On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 1:58 PM eric freedman < kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

I made that coupling alignment tool. If you would like the drawing of it I will be happy to send it to you .

There is also a trick to remove the coupling as it is the exact same diameter as the input shaft of the C drive.

Fair Winds

 

Eric

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2019 11:39 AM
To: AmelYachtOwners@groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

 

All,

 

A client of mine recently replaced the Rubber Bushings inside his Vetus Coupling. His SM Yanmar had 4500 hours and zero vibration. Please look at the Rubber Bushings which were removed. It is estimated that within a few hundred hours, there would have been serious problems.

image.png

 

I recommend that you seriously plan on replacing these rubber bushings (Vetus K018 Bushing Kit) beginning at 3500 hours. Be careful because this job really requires some experience in realigning the engine/transmission/C-Drive. If you are in the Caribbean I recommend Didier at La Marina du Marin. Contact: Didier Lohezic <vaguesca"at"gmail.com> Mobile +596696815722. If you do not use Didier, I recommend that you source the Amel alignment coupling blank seen here:

image.png

You will likely replace the 4 bolts and nuts with: 

  • 4 each 10mm diameter, 9cm long threaded studs 
  • 8  nylon-insert lock nut 
  • Specify for the studs and nuts: Hardened Steel (Grade 8 in the US and normally black in color). 

 

Best,

 

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

 


 

 

Re: Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

 

Danny,

Your situation was rarer than you think.

A significant amount of owners don't change the Vetus coupling bushings until after the failed bushings has caused the running engine has shaken everything out of alignment.

And, most owners need to change the the motor mounts at the same time.

Thus, the Amel alignment coupling blank.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970



On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 1:58 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

I made that coupling alignment tool. If you would like the drawing of it I will be happy to send it to you .

There is also a trick to remove the coupling as it is the exact same diameter as the input shaft of the C drive.

Fair Winds

 

Eric

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2019 11:39 AM
To: AmelYachtOwners@groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

 

All,

 

A client of mine recently replaced the Rubber Bushings inside his Vetus Coupling. His SM Yanmar had 4500 hours and zero vibration. Please look at the Rubber Bushings which were removed. It is estimated that within a few hundred hours, there would have been serious problems.

image.png

 

I recommend that you seriously plan on replacing these rubber bushings (Vetus K018 Bushing Kit) beginning at 3500 hours. Be careful because this job really requires some experience in realigning the engine/transmission/C-Drive. If you are in the Caribbean I recommend Didier at La Marina du Marin. Contact: Didier Lohezic <vaguesca"at"gmail.com> Mobile +596696815722. If you do not use Didier, I recommend that you source the Amel alignment coupling blank seen here:

image.png

You will likely replace the 4 bolts and nuts with: 

  • 4 each 10mm diameter, 9cm long threaded studs 
  • 8  nylon-insert lock nut 
  • Specify for the studs and nuts: Hardened Steel (Grade 8 in the US and normally black in color). 

 

Best,

 

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Re: Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

eric freedman
 

Bill,

I assumed that you also are suggesting changing the engine mounts. If you don’t, you do not need to realign the engine.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of eric freedman
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2019 2:55 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

 

Hi Bill,

I made that coupling alignment tool. If you would like the drawing of it I will be happy to send it to you .

There is also a trick to remove the coupling as it is the exact same diameter as the input shaft of the C drive.

Fair Winds

 

Eric

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2019 11:39 AM
To: AmelYachtOwners@groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

 

All,

 

A client of mine recently replaced the Rubber Bushings inside his Vetus Coupling. His SM Yanmar had 4500 hours and zero vibration. Please look at the Rubber Bushings which were removed. It is estimated that within a few hundred hours, there would have been serious problems.

image.png

 

I recommend that you seriously plan on replacing these rubber bushings (Vetus K018 Bushing Kit) beginning at 3500 hours. Be careful because this job really requires some experience in realigning the engine/transmission/C-Drive. If you are in the Caribbean I recommend Didier at La Marina du Marin. Contact: Didier Lohezic <vaguesca"at"gmail.com> Mobile +596696815722. If you do not use Didier, I recommend that you source the Amel alignment coupling blank seen here:

image.png

You will likely replace the 4 bolts and nuts with: 

  • 4 each 10mm diameter, 9cm long threaded studs 
  • 8  nylon-insert lock nut 
  • Specify for the studs and nuts: Hardened Steel (Grade 8 in the US and normally black in color). 

 

Best,

 

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Re: Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

eric freedman
 

Hi Bill,

I made that coupling alignment tool. If you would like the drawing of it I will be happy to send it to you .

There is also a trick to remove the coupling as it is the exact same diameter as the input shaft of the C drive.

Fair Winds

 

Eric

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2019 11:39 AM
To: AmelYachtOwners@groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

 

All,

 

A client of mine recently replaced the Rubber Bushings inside his Vetus Coupling. His SM Yanmar had 4500 hours and zero vibration. Please look at the Rubber Bushings which were removed. It is estimated that within a few hundred hours, there would have been serious problems.

image.png

 

I recommend that you seriously plan on replacing these rubber bushings (Vetus K018 Bushing Kit) beginning at 3500 hours. Be careful because this job really requires some experience in realigning the engine/transmission/C-Drive. If you are in the Caribbean I recommend Didier at La Marina du Marin. Contact: Didier Lohezic <vaguesca"at"gmail.com> Mobile +596696815722. If you do not use Didier, I recommend that you source the Amel alignment coupling blank seen here:

image.png

You will likely replace the 4 bolts and nuts with: 

  • 4 each 10mm diameter, 9cm long threaded studs 
  • 8  nylon-insert lock nut 
  • Specify for the studs and nuts: Hardened Steel (Grade 8 in the US and normally black in color). 

 

Best,

 

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Re: Vetus Coupling - When to Service and Replace Rubber Donuts - Warning

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Bill,

I have in the past shared my story of having this situation in Tonga some years ago. Without going into those details I would comment that unlike the situation if one was changing engine mounts, the bush replacement gave no realignment issues. I removed the 4 bolts securing the motor to the angle iron frames and slid the motor aft to facilitate the replacement process. Then it was just a matter of sliding it back and replacing the bolts into the frames. No realignment needed. Likewise I have replaced the gearbox. Again no realignment needed as this had not changed. Just slide the motor along the frames and slide it back again. Years and many motoring hours trouble free since. The beauty of the Amel engine mount system.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 April 2019 at 04:38 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

All,

A client of mine recently replaced the Rubber Bushings inside his Vetus Coupling. His SM Yanmar had 4500 hours and zero vibration. Please look at the Rubber Bushings which were removed. It is estimated that within a few hundred hours, there would have been serious problems.
image.png

I recommend that you seriously plan on replacing these rubber bushings (Vetus K018 Bushing Kit) beginning at 3500 hours. Be careful because this job really requires some experience in realigning the engine/transmission/C-Drive. If you are in the Caribbean I recommend Didier at La Marina du Marin. Contact: Didier Lohezic <vaguesca"at" gmail.com> Mobile +596696815722. If you do not use Didier, I recommend that you source the Amel alignment coupling blank seen here:
image.png
You will likely replace the 4 bolts and nuts with: 
  • 4 each 10mm diameter, 9cm long threaded studs 
  • 8  nylon-insert lock nut 
  • Specify for the studs and nuts: Hardened Steel (Grade 8 in the US and normally black in color). 

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

Re: Yacht insurance

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Hello Mark,
Good that you read the requirements…
Since Irma & Maria, they have changed and are in my opinion impossible to follow.
Not to mention, even when you do, like I did, still it is a never ending fight…
Sincerely, Alexandre



--------------------------------------------

On Thu, 4/4/19, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Yacht insurance
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Date: Thursday, April 4, 2019, 9:25 AM


#yiv2663292205 #yiv2663292205 --

_filtered #yiv2663292205 {panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
_filtered #yiv2663292205 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15
5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
_filtered #yiv2663292205 {font-family:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11
6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
_filtered #yiv2663292205 {panose-1:3 11 5 4 2 0 0 0 0 3;}
_filtered #yiv2663292205 {font-family:Verdana;panose-1:2 11
6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
#yiv2663292205
#yiv2663292205 p.yiv2663292205MsoNormal, #yiv2663292205
li.yiv2663292205MsoNormal, #yiv2663292205
div.yiv2663292205MsoNormal
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:New;}
#yiv2663292205 a:link, #yiv2663292205
span.yiv2663292205MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv2663292205 a:visited, #yiv2663292205
span.yiv2663292205MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv2663292205 p.yiv2663292205MsoPlainText, #yiv2663292205
li.yiv2663292205MsoPlainText, #yiv2663292205
div.yiv2663292205MsoPlainText
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;}
#yiv2663292205 p
{margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:New;}
#yiv2663292205 p.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraph,
#yiv2663292205 li.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraph,
#yiv2663292205 div.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraph
{margin-top:0in;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:8.0pt;margin-left:.5in;line-height:107%;font-size:11.0pt;}
#yiv2663292205 p.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst,
#yiv2663292205 li.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst,
#yiv2663292205 div.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst
{margin-top:0in;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:0in;margin-left:.5in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:107%;font-size:11.0pt;}
#yiv2663292205 p.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle,
#yiv2663292205 li.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle,
#yiv2663292205 div.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle
{margin-top:0in;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:0in;margin-left:.5in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height:107%;font-size:11.0pt;}
#yiv2663292205 p.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraphCxSpLast,
#yiv2663292205 li.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraphCxSpLast,
#yiv2663292205 div.yiv2663292205MsoListParagraphCxSpLast
{margin-top:0in;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:8.0pt;margin-left:.5in;line-height:107%;font-size:11.0pt;}
#yiv2663292205
span.yiv2663292205gmail-m5331314365772110383money
{}
#yiv2663292205 span.yiv2663292205EmailStyle19
{font-family:New;color:#0070C0;}
#yiv2663292205 span.yiv2663292205PlainTextChar
{}
#yiv2663292205 .yiv2663292205MsoChpDefault
{}
_filtered #yiv2663292205 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
#yiv2663292205 div.yiv2663292205Section1
{}
#yiv2663292205
_filtered #yiv2663292205 {}
_filtered #yiv2663292205 {}
_filtered #yiv2663292205 {}
_filtered #yiv2663292205 {margin-left:40.5pt;}
#yiv2663292205 ol
{margin-bottom:0in;}
#yiv2663292205 ul
{margin-bottom:0in;}
#yiv2663292205




Bill,


 

Our existing
Pantaenius
policy was changed after the big storms a couple of years
ago. Our coverage with
them was since 2012 ish. The big change was in the past we
would submit a storm
plan to them and they would base our deductable on the
location and the plan. I
thought this to be very fair and flexible. Instead they
opted to use a rigid policy
where they dictate the storm plan to us. I could not find
anywhere inside the Caribbean
where I felt I could meet the parameters outlined in the
policy amendment. I
mean seriously, how am I suppose to know how much the
concrete blocks weight or
the breaking strength of the straps used. And according to
the policy wording,
if one of the blocks weighed 4999 lbs, the entire claim
would be voided if we
had damage. And, where the heck to we find room to store 22
fenders aboard the
vessel? As soon as I read this, I decided it was time to
change. I was just
slow about it. But, when the rate increase came it was added
motivation. I was
basically paying for hurricane coverage knowing I couldn’t
meet the
requirements last season. Anyone know of anywhere in the
entire Carib where you
can secure the vessel between two fixed concrete piers,
assuming you have the 22
fenders? This was just all very ridiculous! But not as
ridiculous as this, “The
insured vessel shall be hauled and stored in a building
rated to withstand CAT
4 or greater storms”. I mean com’ on!!!!  Now I am
suppose to be a structural engineer?


 

 

IT IS EXPRESSLY WARRANTED BY
THE INSURED THAT DURING A NTS THE VESSEL SHALL FULLY COMPLY
WITH THE NAMED
TROPICAL STORM PLAN REQUIREMENTS STATED BELOW. IT IS
ACKNOWLEDGED, UNDERSTOOD,
AND AGREED BY THE INSURED THAT ANY DEVIATION FROM THE NAMED
TROPICAL STORM PLAN
REQUIREMENTS BELOW SHALL BE DEEMED A BREACH OF THIS WARRANTY
AND WILL VOID
COVERAGE FOR ANY AND ALL DAMAGE OR LOSS, DEFENSE COSTS, AND
LIABILITIES ARISING
FROM THE NTS REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE DEVIATION WAS A CAUSE
OF THE DAMAGE OR
LOSS. THERE SHALL BE NO COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE OR LOSS ARISING
FROM A NTS UNDER
ANY CIRCUMSTANCES IF REASONABLE CARE IS NOT EXERCISED TO
SECURE OR MOVE THE
VESSEL IN ORDER TO PREVENT DAMAGE AND LOSS.

 

NAMED TROPICAL STORM PLAN
REQUIREMENTS:

 

1.                  
The insured vessel shall be hauled and secured
a
unitized cradle suitable for the vessel or in a hurricane
pit.  With either
arrangement, the vessel is to be lashed directly to the
ground or to concrete
blocks, one concrete block with a minimum weight of 5000 lbs
to be located at
each lashing anchor point.  Lashing is to be accomplished
using a minimum of one
(1) tensioning strap located symmetrically on each side of
the vessel for
every10 feet of vessel length. Each strap shall have a
minimum breaking
strength of 5000 lbs. Single straps may be run transversely
across the vessel
and lashed to the ground or concrete blocks on both sides of
the vessel to
accomplishrequired lashings.In addition, the vessel interior
and stowage
lockers shall be secured and locked to prevent theft and
vandalism and all
loose or removable items, components, parts, and equipment,
including but not
limited to personal effects, sails, cushions, canvas,
covers, and booms, must
be removed and properly secured to prevent damage or
loss.

 

-or-

 

2.                  
The insured vessel shall be hauled and stored
in a
building rated to withstand CAT 4 or greater storms.

 

-or-

 

3.        
The
insured vessel shall be secured between two fixed piers or a
fixed pier and a
bulkhead or two bulkheads; these fixed structures to which
the insured vessel
is secured must be suitable to sustain the wave action of
the NTS. The size of
the berth and the manner in which the insured vessel is
secured shall be such
that there is a minimum of 6 feet of distance between the
vessel and each fixed
pier or bulkhead and any adjacent vessels or pilings. The
insured vessel shall
NOT be secured to floating piers or docks. The insured
vessel shall be secured
by a minimum of 8 doubled lines on each side of the vessel
(16 total lines)
with appropriate chaffing protection and shall include a
minimum of bow, stern,
head spring, and back spring lines. The insured vessel shall
be fendered every
5 feet on its sides.

 

 

-or-

 

4.                  
The insured vessel maybe moved in order to
avoid the
effects of the NTS and prevent damage or loss, provided the
vessel is moved in
a time, manner, and direction reasonably calculated to avoid
the NTS based on
the projected path of the NTS and provided the projected
path of the NTS is
monitored by the insured at all times. If the vessel is
moved and then secured,
it must be secured in accordancewith requirement 1, 2, or 3
above, unless the
projected path of the NTS indicates the vessel will not be
affected by the
NTS. 

 

 

To me, this was
basically saying they no longer wanted our business, a fine
example of a great
company implementing crap policies. I regretted having to
leave Pantaenius
because I really like working with Scott. He was always very
quick to respond
and helpful. I have since found this same business acumen at
Y-Yacht.

 

BTW – The Pacific
Ocean coverage with Pantaenius was in excess of $10,000 and
would not cover a Panama
Canal transit. In addition, three people would be required
on passages over 36
hours adding an expense of hiring additional crew. Our next
highest policy
quote was 20% less.

 

 

With best
regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel
- Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently
cruising - San Blas Islands,
Panama

www.creampuff.us


 



From:
main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
[mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On
Behalf Of CW Bill RoBiuse

Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2019 10:44 AM

To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Yacht
insurance



 











Courtney, 






 





Something
to consider:





When was
your Pantaenius policy written? It is possible that newer
Pantaenius policies are even more restrictive. If so, what
James is
reporting may come to be true for you when your
Pantaenius policy renews.






 



























































































Best,



 





Bill Rouse





720 Winnie St.





Galveston, Texas 77550





832-380-4970





My
Calendar 











Yacht School




























































































 









 





On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at
9:41 AM James Cromie via Groups.Io
<jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:









Courtney-





Pantaenius provided
coverage if we remained north of 7
degrees north, and south of 10 degrees north during July 15
and November 1.
This excludes Grenada, Trinidad, and the ABCs. Of course,
they will provide
coverage without that restriction if we were willing to pay
$8,200 premium
and have a
deductible of $63,000.  This renders the policy
prohibitively expensive
for us.  In addition, their securement  policy during a
named
tropical storm would be difficult to execute in most
locations. 





 





So, yes, you can get
coverage without them but it is not
amenable to our needs.  





 





James



 



On Apr 4, 2019 10:27,
"Courtney Gorman via
Groups.Io" <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io>
wrote:

James what is the issue with
Pantaenius they have told me that I'm
fine in Grenada?



Cheers





Courtney





Trippin





54 #101 St Thomas





 



-----Original Message-----

From: James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io>

To: main <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Sent: Wed, Apr 3, 2019 10:09 pm

Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Yacht insurance



Hello fellow Amelians - 

I know that there has been recent discussion on various
insurance carriers, and
many people have found the need to change insurers due to
geographic
limitations or extremely restrictive policies.  



I am now in the same predicament and am looking to change
from Pantaenius to
another insurer while in the Southern / Western Caribbean
during the hurricane
season.  

 I have inquired with Y-Yachts and Top Sail, and both of
these informed me
that they cannot yet insure US documented yachts. 

I have found Novamar to be reasonably priced and will allow
us to keep our boat
in the ABC's during the hurricane season.  



Do any of you have experience with Novamar?  

I am also interested in recommendations for other carriers.
 



As always, I greatly appreciate the time and shared
experience of the group!
 



Best,

James

Soteria SM2000 #347

Frederiksted, St. Croix

Re: Dessalator shuts down for no apparent reason - CAT Pump Modification for less than 160 liters

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown
 

Mark,

 

See attached. There’s not much to see really – just the connection to the probes that sit in the pipe. I think the clever stuff must be done in the controller.

 

An interesting development is that my watermaker is no longer getting to the “good quality” stage so I’m not making water at the moment. I measured TDS at 420ppm and have asked Dessalator what the threshold is. I’m now thinking new membranes. Mine are 11 years old.

 

Cheers,

 

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Mueller
Sent: 04 April 2019 09:08
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Dessalator shuts down for no apparent reason - CAT Pump Modification for less than 160 liters

 

Hi Paul,
If not to much trouble could you please forward a photo of the TDS sensor, I would like to see if the Dessalator on our version includes this item.  I have always heard that the TDS sensor on at least the Dessalator 160's is a myth.  That the "Good Quality" light related only to a time delay circuit in the control system not an actual internal check.  Thanks.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54


--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Re: Yacht insurance

Miles
 

Pantaenius just told me that my policy would not be renewed this May—no discussion.    So I am pleased that this forum has had a discussion on the subject of different carriers.

 

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm216,  Le Marin, Martinique

Re: Yacht insurance

James Cromie
 

Thanks for the info John. 
James

On Apr 4, 2019 11:47, John Clark <john.biohead@...> wrote:
Hi James,
   Yes we got booted from TopSail UK for 2019 thanks to the US registration.  We eventually settled with IMIS and the Jackline policy.  It is about 40% more expensive than the policy we had with TopSail, but their hurricane exclusion area is north of Grenada and south of Jacksonville FL. 

Be careful a few of the other policies we quoted would not cover the vessel at all for any casualty during hurricane season when inside the hurricane zone even if there was no storm present. 

John Clark
SV Annie  SM37
Brunswick GA


On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 10:09 PM James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello fellow Amelians - 
I know that there has been recent discussion on various insurance carriers, and many people have found the need to change insurers due to geographic limitations or extremely restrictive policies.  

I am now in the same predicament and am looking to change from Pantaenius to another insurer while in the Southern / Western Caribbean during the hurricane season.  
 I have inquired with Y-Yachts and Top Sail, and both of these informed me that they cannot yet insure US documented yachts. 
I have found Novamar to be reasonably priced and will allow us to keep our boat in the ABC's during the hurricane season.  

Do any of you have experience with Novamar?  
I am also interested in recommendations for other carriers.  

As always, I greatly appreciate the time and shared experience of the group!  

Best,
James
Soteria SM2000 #347
Frederiksted, St. Croix


Re: MANGO folding Table

Kaplan,Andre
 

Juan
Thanks so much for the photos of the cockpit table!

My email is:

Any further info on the table would be much appreciated

BR
Andre Kaplan
Mango 71 88


On Apr 4, 2019, at 11:04 AM, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Hello to the owner of a MANGO who has asked me for information on the Tórtola's folding table.
 
Unfortunately your email has disappeared from my inbox, possibly inadvertently erased by myself.

Here are some pictures of the table.  You can also find them i
n The following link. 



<IMG_28.jpg>

<IMG_35.jpg>

But If you want to build it you should send me your email again to give you the details.

Best regards
Juan
MANGO 56
Cartagena de Indias

Re: Bow Thruster Primary Circuit Protection

 

Mark,

FYI, the SidePower Thruster in a 55 has an 800 amp fuse...see below:
image.png
Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970



On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 8:44 AM Mark Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:
There has been discussions about high amperage fusing & disconnects for the bow thruster.  Has anyone been able to source a high amperage circuit breaker?  I believe ours is an 8.8kw motor that draws 375 amps, a 500amp circuit breaker would be reasonable to protect the cabling, motor, & boat. 

 

If you know of a source for a breaker of this size please advise.  Thanks.


--
Mark & Debbie Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Re: MANGO folding Table

 

That table is really nice!

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970



On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:04 AM Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:
Hello to the owner of a MANGO who has asked me for information on the Tórtola's folding table.
 
Unfortunately your email has disappeared from my inbox, possibly inadvertently erased by myself.

Here are some pictures of the table.  You can also find them i
n The following link. 







But If you want to build it you should send me your email again to give you the details.

Best regards
Juan
MANGO 56
Cartagena de Indias

Re: Yacht insurance

 

Mark,

Exactly. 

My point was that the policy language might change weekly and your policy language really depends on when you bought it. 

Apparently, there is a constant battle inside insurance companies between the sales and marketing people and the actuary people...then, of course legal gets also gets involved. The truth is that insurance companies and underwriters want to have few claims and to pay as little as possible, maximizing profits. We all generally deal as individuals with virtually zero leverage with the insurance company we choose. All of this results in what we have today.

I tried to get a comprehensive policy leveraging a large group, but sadly I have gotten nowhere. The best I get is, "we are working on it." 

I have changed course and based on what is available for Amel owners to purchase, I believe it is time to consider self-insuring for partial to total loss, and buying a large liability policy. Hopefully, I will get somewhere on this project and be able to report back here when I have made some progress.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970



On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:24 AM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Bill,

 

Our existing Pantaenius policy was changed after the big storms a couple of years ago. Our coverage with them was since 2012 ish. The big change was in the past we would submit a storm plan to them and they would base our deductable on the location and the plan. I thought this to be very fair and flexible. Instead they opted to use a rigid policy where they dictate the storm plan to us. I could not find anywhere inside the Caribbean where I felt I could meet the parameters outlined in the policy amendment. I mean seriously, how am I suppose to know how much the concrete blocks weight or the breaking strength of the straps used. And according to the policy wording, if one of the blocks weighed 4999 lbs, the entire claim would be voided if we had damage. And, where the heck to we find room to store 22 fenders aboard the vessel? As soon as I read this, I decided it was time to change. I was just slow about it. But, when the rate increase came it was added motivation. I was basically paying for hurricane coverage knowing I couldn’t meet the requirements last season. Anyone know of anywhere in the entire Carib where you can secure the vessel between two fixed concrete piers, assuming you have the 22 fenders? This was just all very ridiculous! But not as ridiculous as this, “The insured vessel shall be hauled and stored in a building rated to withstand CAT 4 or greater storms”. I mean com’ on!!!!  Now I am suppose to be a structural engineer?

 

 

IT IS EXPRESSLY WARRANTED BY THE INSURED THAT DURING A NTS THE VESSEL SHALL FULLY COMPLY WITH THE NAMED TROPICAL STORM PLAN REQUIREMENTS STATED BELOW. IT IS ACKNOWLEDGED, UNDERSTOOD, AND AGREED BY THE INSURED THAT ANY DEVIATION FROM THE NAMED TROPICAL STORM PLAN REQUIREMENTS BELOW SHALL BE DEEMED A BREACH OF THIS WARRANTY AND WILL VOID COVERAGE FOR ANY AND ALL DAMAGE OR LOSS, DEFENSE COSTS, AND LIABILITIES ARISING FROM THE NTS REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE DEVIATION WAS A CAUSE OF THE DAMAGE OR LOSS. THERE SHALL BE NO COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE OR LOSS ARISING FROM A NTS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES IF REASONABLE CARE IS NOT EXERCISED TO SECURE OR MOVE THE VESSEL IN ORDER TO PREVENT DAMAGE AND LOSS.

 

NAMED TROPICAL STORM PLAN REQUIREMENTS:

 

1.                   The insured vessel shall be hauled and secured a unitized cradle suitable for the vessel or in a hurricane pit.  With either arrangement, the vessel is to be lashed directly to the ground or to concrete blocks, one concrete block with a minimum weight of 5000 lbs to be located at each lashing anchor point.  Lashing is to be accomplished using a minimum of one (1) tensioning strap located symmetrically on each side of the vessel for every10 feet of vessel length. Each strap shall have a minimum breaking strength of 5000 lbs. Single straps may be run transversely across the vessel and lashed to the ground or concrete blocks on both sides of the vessel to accomplishrequired lashings.In addition, the vessel interior and stowage lockers shall be secured and locked to prevent theft and vandalism and all loose or removable items, components, parts, and equipment, including but not limited to personal effects, sails, cushions, canvas, covers, and booms, must be removed and properly secured to prevent damage or loss.

 

-or-

 

2.                   The insured vessel shall be hauled and stored in a building rated to withstand CAT 4 or greater storms.

 

-or-

 

3.         The insured vessel shall be secured between two fixed piers or a fixed pier and a bulkhead or two bulkheads; these fixed structures to which the insured vessel is secured must be suitable to sustain the wave action of the NTS. The size of the berth and the manner in which the insured vessel is secured shall be such that there is a minimum of 6 feet of distance between the vessel and each fixed pier or bulkhead and any adjacent vessels or pilings. The insured vessel shall NOT be secured to floating piers or docks. The insured vessel shall be secured by a minimum of 8 doubled lines on each side of the vessel (16 total lines) with appropriate chaffing protection and shall include a minimum of bow, stern, head spring, and back spring lines. The insured vessel shall be fendered every 5 feet on its sides.

 

 

-or-

 

4.                   The insured vessel maybe moved in order to avoid the effects of the NTS and prevent damage or loss, provided the vessel is moved in a time, manner, and direction reasonably calculated to avoid the NTS based on the projected path of the NTS and provided the projected path of the NTS is monitored by the insured at all times. If the vessel is moved and then secured, it must be secured in accordancewith requirement 1, 2, or 3 above, unless the projected path of the NTS indicates the vessel will not be affected by the NTS. 

 

 

To me, this was basically saying they no longer wanted our business, a fine example of a great company implementing crap policies. I regretted having to leave Pantaenius because I really like working with Scott. He was always very quick to respond and helpful. I have since found this same business acumen at Y-Yacht.

 

BTW – The Pacific Ocean coverage with Pantaenius was in excess of $10,000 and would not cover a Panama Canal transit. In addition, three people would be required on passages over 36 hours adding an expense of hiring additional crew. Our next highest policy quote was 20% less.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - San Blas Islands, Panama

www.creampuff.us

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill RoBiuse
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2019 10:44 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Yacht insurance

 

Courtney, 

 

Something to consider:

When was your Pantaenius policy written? It is possible that newer Pantaenius policies are even more restrictive. If so, what James is reporting may come to be true for you when your Pantaenius policy renews.

 

Best,

 

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Image removed by sender.

 

 

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 9:41 AM James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Courtney-

Pantaenius provided coverage if we remained north of 7 degrees north, and south of 10 degrees north during July 15 and November 1. This excludes Grenada, Trinidad, and the ABCs. Of course, they will provide coverage without that restriction if we were willing to pay $8,200 premium and have a deductible of $63,000.  This renders the policy prohibitively expensive for us.  In addition, their securement  policy during a named tropical storm would be difficult to execute in most locations. 

 

So, yes, you can get coverage without them but it is not amenable to our needs.  

 

James

 

On Apr 4, 2019 10:27, "Courtney Gorman via Groups.Io" <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

James what is the issue with Pantaenius they have told me that I'm fine in Grenada?

Cheers

Courtney

Trippin

54 #101 St Thomas

 

-----Original Message-----
From: James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io>
To: main <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Apr 3, 2019 10:09 pm
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Yacht insurance

Hello fellow Amelians - 
I know that there has been recent discussion on various insurance carriers, and many people have found the need to change insurers due to geographic limitations or extremely restrictive policies.  

I am now in the same predicament and am looking to change from Pantaenius to another insurer while in the Southern / Western Caribbean during the hurricane season.  
 I have inquired with Y-Yachts and Top Sail, and both of these informed me that they cannot yet insure US documented yachts. 
I have found Novamar to be reasonably priced and will allow us to keep our boat in the ABC's during the hurricane season.  

Do any of you have experience with Novamar?  
I am also interested in recommendations for other carriers.  

As always, I greatly appreciate the time and shared experience of the group!  

Best,
James
Soteria SM2000 #347
Frederiksted, St. Croix

 

Re: Yacht insurance

John Clark
 

Hi James,
   Yes we got booted from TopSail UK for 2019 thanks to the US registration.  We eventually settled with IMIS and the Jackline policy.  It is about 40% more expensive than the policy we had with TopSail, but their hurricane exclusion area is north of Grenada and south of Jacksonville FL. 

Be careful a few of the other policies we quoted would not cover the vessel at all for any casualty during hurricane season when inside the hurricane zone even if there was no storm present. 

John Clark
SV Annie  SM37
Brunswick GA


On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 10:09 PM James Cromie via Groups.Io <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello fellow Amelians - 
I know that there has been recent discussion on various insurance carriers, and many people have found the need to change insurers due to geographic limitations or extremely restrictive policies.  

I am now in the same predicament and am looking to change from Pantaenius to another insurer while in the Southern / Western Caribbean during the hurricane season.  
 I have inquired with Y-Yachts and Top Sail, and both of these informed me that they cannot yet insure US documented yachts. 
I have found Novamar to be reasonably priced and will allow us to keep our boat in the ABC's during the hurricane season.  

Do any of you have experience with Novamar?  
I am also interested in recommendations for other carriers.  

As always, I greatly appreciate the time and shared experience of the group!  

Best,
James
Soteria SM2000 #347
Frederiksted, St. Croix