Date   

Re: Seawater Flush

Dean Gillies
 

Hi Arno and Dimitris,
Thanks, I have it working now with the pump and noticed the overflow problem immediately. I was lucky and didn’t get any smells at all when I changed over, maybe because the toilet has never been used with saltwater.

The previous owner made no modifications in this area.  Needless to say, I’ll be sticking with the freshwater flushing mode of operation! 

Thanks all.

Cheers
Dean
A54-154


Re: Seawater Flush

Mohammad Shirloo
 

Hi Dean;

It is my understanding that this is a backup emergency system only and not an option to fresh water.

You really don’t want to use saltwater, unless fresh water is not available for some reason, since the salt water will lead to the usual smell related to salt water flush systems.

I think it’s a simple use of an existing pump for a case that may never arise.



Respectfully;


Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
AMEL 54 #099

On May 16, 2019, at 6:57 AM, Dimitris Krasopoulos via Groups.Io <dkrasopoulos@...> wrote:

Dean,

I had the same problem and I installed in the saltwater line a cane so I can close the saltwater flow safely and clean the electrovalve which does close tight due to salt remains.

It is bad designed by Amel but ..,

Στάλθηκε από το iPhone of Dimitris Krasopoulos 

On May 16, 2019, at 00:49, SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:

Hi Mohammad,
You are absolutely correct. When I open the valve and turn on the anchor wash pump then water flows freely into the toilet. The line retains water when I turn the anchor wash off, and the toilet can be used, although I suspect it will lose prime over a short period. 

However as soon as the anchor wash is turned on again the toilet starts to fill immediately. This seems like a poor situation really.

I guess the saltwater flush mode really needs to be treated as a degraded mode of operation rather than an alternative mode of operation you could choose when on an ocean crossing for example. 

Anyway, I now understand the operation. Thanks Mohammad.
Cheers
Dean


Re: Seawater Flush

Dimitris Krasopoulos
 

Dean,

I had the same problem and I installed in the saltwater line a cane so I can close the saltwater flow safely and clean the electrovalve which does close tight due to salt remains.

It is bad designed by Amel but ..,

Στάλθηκε από το iPhone of Dimitris Krasopoulos 

On May 16, 2019, at 00:49, SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:

Hi Mohammad,
You are absolutely correct. When I open the valve and turn on the anchor wash pump then water flows freely into the toilet. The line retains water when I turn the anchor wash off, and the toilet can be used, although I suspect it will lose prime over a short period. 

However as soon as the anchor wash is turned on again the toilet starts to fill immediately. This seems like a poor situation really.

I guess the saltwater flush mode really needs to be treated as a degraded mode of operation rather than an alternative mode of operation you could choose when on an ocean crossing for example. 

Anyway, I now understand the operation. Thanks Mohammad.
Cheers
Dean


Re: Absence of boom-kickers on a 54

Rudolf Waldispuehl
 

Hi Arno

I’m very interested in your project with a changed cockpit table. I have the Lagun as well, it’s ok for 2 but not if you have guests on board. I had some thought how to change the original but no real idea yet. It is not urgent so it will may takes years ;-)
Let us know when you have done your changes or when you get a brilliant idea.

Cheers
Ruedi
A54 #55
South Peloponnese

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 15.05.2019 um 16:09 schrieb Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...>:

Hi Bil,

If you are referring to the hole that sits at the very base of the mast, that hole is the drain hole for water that gets into the mast. I wonder if it is able to take the loads of a kicker. I also noticed the later 54’s do not have the same “hole-arrangement” at the underside of the boom as the early ones.

I do love your remark about the table behind the steering chair. I wondered the same thing. That thing must be the number 1 design flaw for the Amel 54. I actually removed it. That makes the cockpit much roomier as well. We now use a small foldable table if we need to support our drinks…

I was thinking about this thing to put against the back wall of the cockpit:


But maybe I will just change the way the original table is designed and make it a bit lighter as well.

Cheers,

Arno


Re: Seawater Flush

Dimitris Krasopoulos
 

Dean,

I do not know your boat exactly but I have installed a cane from the saltwater supply to electro and that is behind the toilet in order to be able to remove the electrovalve for cleaning and extra security. Perhaps the previous owner has done the same. I also think that in the motor compartment you have to press the salt water pump on on the grey panel

Let us know

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 00:07 SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:
Hi all,
i decided to test the operation of our optional seawater flush on the forward head. I’ve never used it before and In the absence of any instructions in the user manuals, I opened the seawater valve and tried to flush. There is no seawater being pulled through at all. 

Can anyone advise if there is an additional step I need to do to make the seawater flush work.
I know it worked when we bought the boat because it was checked off by Olivier on survey, so I’m sure I must be missing something.
Thanks guys
Dean 
SY Stella
A54-154

--
Best Regards

Dimitris Krasopoulos
Dubai Mob: +971 564602575
Greek Mob:+306944302318


Re: Seawater Flush

Arno Luijten
 

Hi, you also need to switch on the anchor flushing pump from the helm.
Take care that the toilet does not overflow. Also be prepared for some horrible smell in the beginning.

Cheers,

Arno


Re: Seawater Flush

Dean Gillies
 

Hi Mohammad,
You are absolutely correct. When I open the valve and turn on the anchor wash pump then water flows freely into the toilet. The line retains water when I turn the anchor wash off, and the toilet can be used, although I suspect it will lose prime over a short period. 

However as soon as the anchor wash is turned on again the toilet starts to fill immediately. This seems like a poor situation really.

I guess the saltwater flush mode really needs to be treated as a degraded mode of operation rather than an alternative mode of operation you could choose when on an ocean crossing for example. 

Anyway, I now understand the operation. Thanks Mohammad.
Cheers
Dean


Re: Seawater Flush

Mohammad Shirloo
 

Hi Dean;

If I’m not mistaken, the anchor wash has to be on to supply the salt water to the forward head.

We’ve never tried it, but that’s what I recall from 5 years ago when we purchase Kokomo.

I’m sure others will correct this if I’m mistaken.

Respectfully;


Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
AMEL 54 #099

On May 15, 2019, at 4:07 PM, SY STELLA via Groups.Io <stella@...> wrote:

Hi all,
i decided to test the operation of our optional seawater flush on the forward head. I’ve never used it before and In the absence of any instructions in the user manuals, I opened the seawater valve and tried to flush. There is no seawater being pulled through at all. 

Can anyone advise if there is an additional step I need to do to make the seawater flush work.
I know it worked when we bought the boat because it was checked off by Olivier on survey, so I’m sure I must be missing something.
Thanks guys
Dean 
SY Stella
A54-154


Seawater Flush

Dean Gillies
 

Hi all,
i decided to test the operation of our optional seawater flush on the forward head. I’ve never used it before and In the absence of any instructions in the user manuals, I opened the seawater valve and tried to flush. There is no seawater being pulled through at all. 

Can anyone advise if there is an additional step I need to do to make the seawater flush work.
I know it worked when we bought the boat because it was checked off by Olivier on survey, so I’m sure I must be missing something.
Thanks guys
Dean 
SY Stella
A54-154


Re: Absence of boom-kickers on a 54

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown
 

Ours came with no kicker but the boom does have an attachment point.

 

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: 15 May 2019 11:10
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Absence of boom-kickers on a 54

 

Well, like so many things on the 54, it is difficult to compare one 54 to another because so many things changed during the production run. 

 

Just when I think I know this boat, something else pops up that shatters that assumption. The first time this rope kicker thing came up, I was certain I had seen it and it existed on 54s. Then I was on at least eight 54s that were missing the rope kicker. My first thought was that "old age memory loss" was showing its ugly face...well maybe it is. I assume that the 54s with the rope kicker have a slightly different boom, because those booms without the rope kicker have no attachment point on the boom. I still say those missing the kicker were also probably missing the unwavering attention to detail from Henri Amel and his ability to understand the unforgiving sea and his customers.

 

Best,

 

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

 

 

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 8:01 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Amelia we have the rope kicker. I use it as a preventer to the forward lifting chainplate when sailing off the wind. Or as a kicker to the mast base. Upwind it is not needed as the main sheet track is so far forward but as soon as the wind is aft then it is essential to keep the main powered up.

Amelia AML54-019

Nick


On 15 May 2019, at 09:14, Barry Connor via Groups.Io <connor_barry@...> wrote:

Food for thought.

On our Amel 54 "Lady Penelope II" # 17 we have the rope boom attachment and on Ruedi's Amel 54 "Wasabi #55 he does not have the rope boom attachment.

We are sailing together at this time and I do see that my rope is tight in strong winds, keeps the boom from rising. 

We are noticing and discussing the changes that took place between #17 and  #55

 

Best Regards

 

Barry

 

 

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 9:40:51 AM GMT+3, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

 

 

Ian,

 

You are correct and the same boom rigging exists for the 54 sans the rope boom kicker.

 

I believe that Henri Amel placed a rope kicker on HIS boats because he knew that "sometimes, something goes wrong with even the most experienced crew."

 

It appears to me that it was likely planned for the 54, but someone at the last minute decided that it wasn't necessary on the 54. It was probably the same person who decided that the engine room hatch didn't really need to miss the cockpit table when opening the engine room hatch.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

 

On Tue, May 14, 2019, 9:49 PM Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

I’m guessing here but the SN and SM have a rope that ‘serves’ as a kicker. But with the full width main sheet track on the foredeck and then the preventer when fully downwind I haven’t had cause to need a kicker. I can get all the flattening I need on the mainsail from this combination.
Obviously I have no experience of the 54.

Ian

Ocean Hobo



--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98


Re: Absence of boom-kickers on a 54

Arno Luijten
 

Bill,

They had to change the mast when they changed from a horizontal to a vertical furling-motor setup. The needed to make the slot bigger to fit the motor. My mast also has the reinforcing shell around the lower part of the mast.
I was looking at the promo video for the A54 and captured this frame:


Here you can see the original horizontal motor and also the kick-strap in place. It may be because of the change of motor setup they dropped the kicker. I don't think the mizzen has ever had a kicker. Maybe the logic is that if you rig a preventer you can keep the boom down as well. I wonder....


Re: Mango Downwind sailing configuration

Ian Bone
 

Thanks Bill

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 5:01 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
I believe that if you had a SM manual, you could easily work it out as long as you have all of the OEM running rigging. The process is illustrated in either the Owners or the Users manual. If you need a copy of the SM Users and Owners manuals (1 copy each), check the FILES section of this website. Here is a link: https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/files/Amel%20Super%20Maramu%20Manuals%20English

Also, here is a good video of dousing the twin sails:

Good Luck

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, May 15, 2019, 12:32 AM Ian Bone <auscaptain@...> wrote:
I am curious to know if there exists any documentation in English that explains the setting of the sails using the various poles, sails and attachments that accompany a typical sail configuration on the Amel Mango 52? I can work pretty much out myself, but wanted to check with the specs.
If such an electronic document was available I would like a copy.
Many thanks
Ian


Re: Absence of boom-kickers on a 54

 

Arno, no not a drain, rather a tang with a hole. It probably disappeared also when Amel reengineered the 54 mast so that it could take to expected loads. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, May 15, 2019, 2:09 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Hi Bil,

If you are referring to the hole that sits at the very base of the mast, that hole is the drain hole for water that gets into the mast. I wonder if it is able to take the loads of a kicker. I also noticed the later 54’s do not have the same “hole-arrangement” at the underside of the boom as the early ones.

I do love your remark about the table behind the steering chair. I wondered the same thing. That thing must be the number 1 design flaw for the Amel 54. I actually removed it. That makes the cockpit much roomier as well. We now use a small foldable table if we need to support our drinks…

I was thinking about this thing to put against the back wall of the cockpit:


But maybe I will just change the way the original table is designed and make it a bit lighter as well.

Cheers,

Arno


Rope kicker on 54

ngtnewington Newington
 

This is Amelia’s set up while running free and also the eye at the base of the mast. I find I do not need the kicker whilst the main is sheeted in.
AML 055-019 sailing in the Western Med
Nick


Re: Absence of boom-kickers on a 54

Arno Luijten
 

Hi Bil,

If you are referring to the hole that sits at the very base of the mast, that hole is the drain hole for water that gets into the mast. I wonder if it is able to take the loads of a kicker. I also noticed the later 54’s do not have the same “hole-arrangement” at the underside of the boom as the early ones.

I do love your remark about the table behind the steering chair. I wondered the same thing. That thing must be the number 1 design flaw for the Amel 54. I actually removed it. That makes the cockpit much roomier as well. We now use a small foldable table if we need to support our drinks…

I was thinking about this thing to put against the back wall of the cockpit:


But maybe I will just change the way the original table is designed and make it a bit lighter as well.

Cheers,

Arno


Re: Absence of boom-kickers on a 54

 

Well, like so many things on the 54, it is difficult to compare one 54 to another because so many things changed during the production run. 

Just when I think I know this boat, something else pops up that shatters that assumption. The first time this rope kicker thing came up, I was certain I had seen it and it existed on 54s. Then I was on at least eight 54s that were missing the rope kicker. My first thought was that "old age memory loss" was showing its ugly face...well maybe it is. I assume that the 54s with the rope kicker have a slightly different boom, because those booms without the rope kicker have no attachment point on the boom. I still say those missing the kicker were also probably missing the unwavering attention to detail from Henri Amel and his ability to understand the unforgiving sea and his customers.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970



On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 8:01 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Amelia we have the rope kicker. I use it as a preventer to the forward lifting chainplate when sailing off the wind. Or as a kicker to the mast base. Upwind it is not needed as the main sheet track is so far forward but as soon as the wind is aft then it is essential to keep the main powered up.
Amelia AML54-019
Nick


On 15 May 2019, at 09:14, Barry Connor via Groups.Io <connor_barry@...> wrote:

Food for thought.
On our Amel 54 "Lady Penelope II" # 17 we have the rope boom attachment and on Ruedi's Amel 54 "Wasabi #55 he does not have the rope boom attachment.
We are sailing together at this time and I do see that my rope is tight in strong winds, keeps the boom from rising. 
We are noticing and discussing the changes that took place between #17 and  #55

Best Regards

Barry


On Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 9:40:51 AM GMT+3, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:


Ian,

You are correct and the same boom rigging exists for the 54 sans the rope boom kicker.

I believe that Henri Amel placed a rope kicker on HIS boats because he knew that "sometimes, something goes wrong with even the most experienced crew."

It appears to me that it was likely planned for the 54, but someone at the last minute decided that it wasn't necessary on the 54. It was probably the same person who decided that the engine room hatch didn't really need to miss the cockpit table when opening the engine room hatch.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, May 14, 2019, 9:49 PM Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:
I’m guessing here but the SN and SM have a rope that ‘serves’ as a kicker. But with the full width main sheet track on the foredeck and then the preventer when fully downwind I haven’t had cause to need a kicker. I can get all the flattening I need on the mainsail from this combination.
Obviously I have no experience of the 54.

Ian

Ocean Hobo




Re: Absence of boom-kickers on a 54

ngtnewington Newington
 

On Amelia we have the rope kicker. I use it as a preventer to the forward lifting chainplate when sailing off the wind. Or as a kicker to the mast base. Upwind it is not needed as the main sheet track is so far forward but as soon as the wind is aft then it is essential to keep the main powered up.
Amelia AML54-019
Nick


On 15 May 2019, at 09:14, Barry Connor via Groups.Io <connor_barry@...> wrote:

Food for thought.
On our Amel 54 "Lady Penelope II" # 17 we have the rope boom attachment and on Ruedi's Amel 54 "Wasabi #55 he does not have the rope boom attachment.
We are sailing together at this time and I do see that my rope is tight in strong winds, keeps the boom from rising. 
We are noticing and discussing the changes that took place between #17 and  #55

Best Regards

Barry


On Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 9:40:51 AM GMT+3, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:


Ian,

You are correct and the same boom rigging exists for the 54 sans the rope boom kicker.

I believe that Henri Amel placed a rope kicker on HIS boats because he knew that "sometimes, something goes wrong with even the most experienced crew."

It appears to me that it was likely planned for the 54, but someone at the last minute decided that it wasn't necessary on the 54. It was probably the same person who decided that the engine room hatch didn't really need to miss the cockpit table when opening the engine room hatch.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, May 14, 2019, 9:49 PM Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:
I’m guessing here but the SN and SM have a rope that ‘serves’ as a kicker. But with the full width main sheet track on the foredeck and then the preventer when fully downwind I haven’t had cause to need a kicker. I can get all the flattening I need on the mainsail from this combination.
Obviously I have no experience of the 54.

Ian

Ocean Hobo




Re: Absence of boom-kickers on a 54

Barry Connor
 

Food for thought.
On our Amel 54 "Lady Penelope II" # 17 we have the rope boom attachment and on Ruedi's Amel 54 "Wasabi #55 he does not have the rope boom attachment.
We are sailing together at this time and I do see that my rope is tight in strong winds, keeps the boom from rising. 
We are noticing and discussing the changes that took place between #17 and  #55

Best Regards

Barry


On Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 9:40:51 AM GMT+3, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:


Ian,

You are correct and the same boom rigging exists for the 54 sans the rope boom kicker.

I believe that Henri Amel placed a rope kicker on HIS boats because he knew that "sometimes, something goes wrong with even the most experienced crew."

It appears to me that it was likely planned for the 54, but someone at the last minute decided that it wasn't necessary on the 54. It was probably the same person who decided that the engine room hatch didn't really need to miss the cockpit table when opening the engine room hatch.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, May 14, 2019, 9:49 PM Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:
I’m guessing here but the SN and SM have a rope that ‘serves’ as a kicker. But with the full width main sheet track on the foredeck and then the preventer when fully downwind I haven’t had cause to need a kicker. I can get all the flattening I need on the mainsail from this combination.
Obviously I have no experience of the 54.

Ian

Ocean Hobo




Paint colour code

Dean Gillies
 

I suspect I’m clutching at straws a little here but ..... does anyone have a paint colour code for the ‘white’ glass doors in the galley of the later model 54’s?
I need a little touch-up due to a rather clumsy crew member. Amel don’t know the answer.
Cheers,
Dean
SY Stella
A54-154


Re: Mango Downwind sailing configuration

 

I believe that if you had a SM manual, you could easily work it out as long as you have all of the OEM running rigging. The process is illustrated in either the Owners or the Users manual. If you need a copy of the SM Users and Owners manuals (1 copy each), check the FILES section of this website. Here is a link: https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/files/Amel%20Super%20Maramu%20Manuals%20English

Also, here is a good video of dousing the twin sails:

Good Luck

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, May 15, 2019, 12:32 AM Ian Bone <auscaptain@...> wrote:
I am curious to know if there exists any documentation in English that explains the setting of the sails using the various poles, sails and attachments that accompany a typical sail configuration on the Amel Mango 52? I can work pretty much out myself, but wanted to check with the specs.
If such an electronic document was available I would like a copy.
Many thanks
Ian