Date   
Re: SM2K Main Sail Furling Motor Act 2

Donald Patterson
 

Would have a name for the rebuilder and a telephone number for the company that you used?  My experience has been that they are not familiar with a 4 wire DC 12 volt motor.


   Don Patterson

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SM2K Main Sail Furling Motor Act 2

Donald Patterson
 

If I find a source I will post it.

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Painting boat S of Hurricane belt

 

Kent,

I do not recommend it and I used it, but here it is:
Ferroalquimar
Albornoz, Km 3 Via Mamonal , Cartagena, Colombia
Tel:+57 3205653293
http://www.ferroalquimar.com/, jcouso@... and the person I dealt with directly was Ms. Pura Rey <purarey@...> I am not sure she is still there.

All of the yard workers that worked there at the time I hauled were not yard employees and were unsupervised. I hired a trusted Spanish speaking guy who stayed on my boat 24/7 and supervised the work. I was present during daylight hours. I used a pilot from the yard and high tide to get into the haulout slip without running aground. 

They have a 40-ton travel lift that will bend your life-rail unless you do something to mitigate this. 

Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School  
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970



On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 10:31 AM Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Thanks Bill.  I’ve left the boat at Peakes for a Summer several years ago.  They were well organized, but expensive, I thought.


I’ve heard you can get good work done for less money in Columbia.  Know anything about that?  Eric?

Thanks again.
Kent & Iris
SM243
Kristy


Bill Rouse wrote:
Kent & Iris,

I believe Trinidad is the best place for this in the southern Caribbean. Here are some suggestions:

Peaks yard in Chaguaramas, Trinidad. http://peakeyachts.com/
+1 (868) 634-4420 & +1 (868) 634-4423
Email: mail"at"peakeyachts.com
Address: Lot #5 Western Main Road Chaguaramas

Also, an independent guy: Nigel 1-868-282-2024 cell. I have used Nigel several times...all good. He may not be allowed in Peaks as they have their own contract people. Nigel used to have a shop at Coral Cove Marina and Yard Chaguaramas, Trinidad 

Also, if you need just a worker for cleaning, polish, etc: Dwayne Shuffler 1-868-286-4947 cell dwayneshuffler@... I used Dwayne for cleaning, polishing, and trained him on how to paint the faux caulking on Amels. He is the one that painted our deck faux caulking cream color using a striping tool. Also, I had the paint mixed at the paint shop at Coral Cove Marina.

While you are there be sure to meet Jesse James (jessejamesmembersonly@... and 1-868-683-5202). Jesse is the station host for SSCA and OCC, he operates a taxi and tour service, he runs an association of local businesses which are in the marine business (YSATT). Peaks, Coral Cove and almost every business in Chaguaramas is a member of YSATT.

I hope this helps.


Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School  
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970



Kent wrote:
 

Hi All,
We need to have Kristy’s decks and cabin sides worked on. When I pulled the stainless steel trim around the windows off to remove the interior panels off for revarnishing, I found significant blistering of the gel coat under the trim.

We’ll be taking her S to Trinidad, Columbia, or Panama by this Spring and want to find a place to have a professional job done at a reasonable price.

Does anyone have experience in one of these venues? Is the work such that you would leave the boat with them for a few weeks while it’s being done, or would you want to be there the whole time?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Painting boat S of Hurricane belt

karkauai
 

Thanks Bill.  I’ve left the boat at Peakes for a Summer several years ago.  They were well organized, but expensive, I thought.

I’ve heard you can get good work done for less money in Columbia.  Know anything about that?  Eric?

Thanks again.
Kent & Iris
SM243
Kristy


Bill Rouse wrote:
Kent & Iris,

I believe Trinidad is the best place for this in the southern Caribbean. Here are some suggestions:

Peaks yard in Chaguaramas, Trinidad. http://peakeyachts.com/
+1 (868) 634-4420 & +1 (868) 634-4423
Email: mail"at"peakeyachts.com
Address: Lot #5 Western Main Road Chaguaramas

Also, an independent guy: Nigel 1-868-282-2024 cell. I have used Nigel several times...all good. He may not be allowed in Peaks as they have their own contract people. Nigel used to have a shop at Coral Cove Marina and Yard Chaguaramas, Trinidad 

Also, if you need just a worker for cleaning, polish, etc: Dwayne Shuffler 1-868-286-4947 cell dwayneshuffler@... I used Dwayne for cleaning, polishing, and trained him on how to paint the faux caulking on Amels. He is the one that painted our deck faux caulking cream color using a striping tool. Also, I had the paint mixed at the paint shop at Coral Cove Marina.

While you are there be sure to meet Jesse James (jessejamesmembersonly@... and 1-868-683-5202). Jesse is the station host for SSCA and OCC, he operates a taxi and tour service, he runs an association of local businesses which are in the marine business (YSATT). Peaks, Coral Cove and almost every business in Chaguaramas is a member of YSATT.

I hope this helps.


Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School  
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970



Kent wrote:

 

Hi All,
We need to have Kristy’s decks and cabin sides worked on. When I pulled the stainless steel trim around the windows off to remove the interior panels off for revarnishing, I found significant blistering of the gel coat under the trim.

We’ll be taking her S to Trinidad, Columbia, or Panama by this Spring and want to find a place to have a professional job done at a reasonable price.

Does anyone have experience in one of these venues? Is the work such that you would leave the boat with them for a few weeks while it’s being done, or would you want to be there the whole time?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Painting boat S of Hurricane belt

 

Kent & Iris,

I believe Trinidad is the best place for this in the southern Caribbean. Here are some suggestions:

Peaks yard in Chaguaramas, Trinidad. http://peakeyachts.com/
+1 (868) 634-4420 & +1 (868) 634-4423
Email: mail"at"peakeyachts.com
Address: Lot #5 Western Main Road Chaguaramas

Also, an independent guy: Nigel 1-868-282-2024 cell. I have used Nigel several times...all good. He may not be allowed in Peaks as they have their own contract people. Nigel used to have a shop at Coral Cove Marina and Yard Chaguaramas, Trinidad 

Also, if you need just a worker for cleaning, polish, etc: Dwayne Shuffler 1-868-286-4947 cell dwayneshuffler@... I used Dwayne for cleaning, polishing, and trained him on how to paint the faux caulking on Amels. He is the one that painted our deck faux caulking cream color using a striping tool. Also, I had the paint mixed at the paint shop at Coral Cove Marina.

While you are there be sure to meet Jesse James (jessejamesmembersonly@... and 1-868-683-5202). Jesse is the station host for SSCA and OCC, he operates a taxi and tour service, he runs an association of local businesses which are in the marine business (YSATT). Peaks, Coral Cove and almost every business in Chaguaramas is a member of YSATT.

I hope this helps.


Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School  
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970



On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 9:00 AM karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi All,
We need to have Kristy’s decks and cabin sides worked on. When I pulled the stainless steel trim around the windows off to remove the interior panels off for revarnishing, I found significant blistering of the gel coat under the trim.

We’ll be taking her S to Trinidad, Columbia, or Panama by this Spring and want to find a place to have a professional job done at a reasonable price.

Does anyone have experience in one of these venues? Is the work such that you would leave the boat with them for a few weeks while it’s being done, or would you want to be there the whole time?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy

Painting boat S of Hurricane belt

karkauai
 

Hi All,
We need to have Kristy’s decks and cabin sides worked on. When I pulled the stainless steel trim around the windows off to remove the interior panels off for revarnishing, I found significant blistering of the gel coat under the trim.

We’ll be taking her S to Trinidad, Columbia, or Panama by this Spring and want to find a place to have a professional job done at a reasonable price.

Does anyone have experience in one of these venues? Is the work such that you would leave the boat with them for a few weeks while it’s being done, or would you want to be there the whole time?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy

Re: SM2K Main Sail Furling Motor Act 2

rossny@mail.com
 

Hi guys, Your motors are repurposed auto/truck starter motors. Bring to the closest auto electric starter shop and ask. If there is hesitation then go to the next, you will find someone to rebuild them. I had my Maramu motors done in ft laud,fl,us. One had broken magnets reglued and other just cleaned, cost about 200us. Personally, I wish I had your problem, ha. Good luck and as Joel says enjoy your amel....
Still stuck in ny, without an Amel,
Ross



Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SM2K Main Sail Furling Motor Act 2

Chuck_Kim_Joy
 

My wife corrected me. I should have used 'empathy'. It it shows a stronger feeling and understanding. 

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 9:34 PM Chuck Lacey <clacey9@...> wrote:
Hi Don,
I have complete sympathy with you and wish you the absolute best of luck on your quest for a 12v outhaul motor. I am looking for a 24v mainsail furling motor. If anyone has had recent experience with this please let me know. 
Chuck 
SM #388

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 5:12 PM donald patterson donaldpatterson533@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Based on my telephone call to Amel last week they are not available.  If you find a source would you please provide it to me.


Don Patterson


On Jan 31, 2019, at 3:36 PM, clacey9@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi All,

I looked for my earlier post regarding my mainsail furling motor but could not find it to tag onto. As you might remember mine cease to work and thanks for all the responses on what to look for. It was not the gearbox but the motor. It had water in the white plastic housing and upon opening it up there was corrosion and a cracked in half magnet. DOA? If so I thought I remembering someone ordering furling motors directly as not to incur Amel markup. Am I wrong on this and are they the only source? If so that is fine (I guess). Any suggestions for speediest fix would be appreciated.


Chuck

Joy SM #388

St. Martin

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SM2K Main Sail Furling Motor Act 2

Chuck_Kim_Joy
 

Hi Don,
I have complete sympathy with you and wish you the absolute best of luck on your quest for a 12v outhaul motor. I am looking for a 24v mainsail furling motor. If anyone has had recent experience with this please let me know. 
Chuck 
SM #388

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 5:12 PM donald patterson donaldpatterson533@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Based on my telephone call to Amel last week they are not available.  If you find a source would you please provide it to me.


Don Patterson


On Jan 31, 2019, at 3:36 PM, clacey9@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi All,

I looked for my earlier post regarding my mainsail furling motor but could not find it to tag onto. As you might remember mine cease to work and thanks for all the responses on what to look for. It was not the gearbox but the motor. It had water in the white plastic housing and upon opening it up there was corrosion and a cracked in half magnet. DOA? If so I thought I remembering someone ordering furling motors directly as not to incur Amel markup. Am I wrong on this and are they the only source? If so that is fine (I guess). Any suggestions for speediest fix would be appreciated.


Chuck

Joy SM #388

St. Martin

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furler motors & Headsail - Santorin

JOHN HAYES
 

Hi Don

I’m dealing with similar problems and have 2 motors with a company in Petone near Wellington 

I’m on my boat and in and out of cover

If you are in NZ as seems and to avoid cluttering others inboxes try calling me on 021546072 or an email to johnhayes862@... early next week and I’ll let you know how good the fellow is.  

Seems good but not really sure

Best John


On 31/01/2019, at 5:04 PM, donald patterson donaldpatterson533@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

The boom out haul motor has failed.  I talked to Ms. Maud at Amel. She advised me that Amel does not have replacement available for my 1987 Amel Mango.  Do you have any suggestions as to a source for a replacement or a company that rebuilds the 12 volt motors?


Don Patterson


On Jan 28, 2019, at 8:48 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi John.

I started a new topic for you as you had buried your post in a thread about insurance which is quite confusing.


It may be more helpful if you would describe what problem you have that suggests you want to replace your original furler motors, or are you looking for spares, or what?  Usually, the reduction gears are the problem, not the motors and if you tell us bit more about your problem we may be able to offer more helpful suggestions.  As to your headsail, again, some more information about what you want to do would help you to get more useful replies. Have you approached a sailmaker about this and have a question, or what?


Best regards,

Craig Briggs, SN68 - Sangaris, Ft Pierce, Florida


---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Happy new year one and all

Anyone out there replaced the original furler motors in past and head sail on a Santorini and if so be really great full to learn the name and spec of replacement units

Best 

John Hayes 
NGA Waka
SN 41

New Zealand

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SM2K Main Sail Furling Motor Act 2

Donald Patterson
 

Based on my telephone call to Amel last week they are not available.  If you find a source would you please provide it to me.

Don Patterson


On Jan 31, 2019, at 3:36 PM, clacey9@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi All,

I looked for my earlier post regarding my mainsail furling motor but could not find it to tag onto. As you might remember mine cease to work and thanks for all the responses on what to look for. It was not the gearbox but the motor. It had water in the white plastic housing and upon opening it up there was corrosion and a cracked in half magnet. DOA? If so I thought I remembering someone ordering furling motors directly as not to incur Amel markup. Am I wrong on this and are they the only source? If so that is fine (I guess). Any suggestions for speediest fix would be appreciated.


Chuck

Joy SM #388

St. Martin

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furler motors & Headsail - Santorin

Donald Patterson
 

I have to one company but they were not familiar with the four configuration.  Would know of a company that has rebuilt these motors?

Don Patterson


On Jan 31, 2019, at 12:07 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Most electric motors can be refurbished by companies that work on electric motors all over the world. They are not complex beasts and often the fixes are quite simple. I would try to locate a "motor rewinder" or repairer to take a look at it, it is more than likely repairable

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437 

SM2K Main Sail Furling Motor Act 2

Chuck_Kim_Joy
 

Hi All,

I looked for my earlier post regarding my mainsail furling motor but could not find it to tag onto. As you might remember mine cease to work and thanks for all the responses on what to look for. It was not the gearbox but the motor. It had water in the white plastic housing and upon opening it up there was corrosion and a cracked in half magnet. DOA? If so I thought I remembering someone ordering furling motors directly as not to incur Amel markup. Am I wrong on this and are they the only source? If so that is fine (I guess). Any suggestions for speediest fix would be appreciated.


Chuck

Joy SM #388

St. Martin

Mainsail Motor Covers

oceanhobo@...
 

I can’t find the reference number for the Plastimo covers used on the mainsail furling and outhaul motors. I recall it was posted here some 2 years ago. Can anyone help?

Mainsail Motor Cover

oceanhobo@...
 

I can’t find the reference number for the Plastimo covers used on the mainsail furling and outhaul motors. I recall it was posted here some 2 years ago. Can anyone help?

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furler motors & Headsail - Santorin

Alan Leslie
 

Most electric motors can be refurbished by companies that work on electric motors all over the world. They are not complex beasts and often the fixes are quite simple. I would try to locate a "motor rewinder" or repairer to take a look at it, it is more than likely repairable
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437 

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries in Caribbean

Donald Patterson
 

It takes about 2 to3 weeks depending when you place the order.


On Jan 23, 2019, at 6:43 AM, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi folks
My service batteries seem to be on the way out.
Does anyone know where batteries can be purchased economical in the Caribbean chain?
Currently in Grenada where they seem expensive and so wondering about delaying the replacement till we get somewhere else.
Any info most gratefully received
All the very best
Miles


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries in Caribbean

Donald Patterson
 

When I replace the service batteries I have them shipped to St. Lucia by Tropical shipping out of Florida.

I call Nationwide battery (1-914-527-4640).  Since I have expanded the service battery to 8 and I also use the same batteries as my engine starting batteries.  I order 10 Trojan T105 6 volt batteries.  The cost of the batteries and shipping is around $1,500.00 US dollars.  The clearance and transportation from Castries is around $150. US.


On Jan 23, 2019, at 6:43 AM, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi folks
My service batteries seem to be on the way out.
Does anyone know where batteries can be purchased economical in the Caribbean chain?
Currently in Grenada where they seem expensive and so wondering about delaying the replacement till we get somewhere else.
Any info most gratefully received
All the very best
Miles


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Propeler shaft

Donald Patterson
 

It is not difficult to do!  You need to be on the hard and have access to a puller and an acetylene torch.  I heat the area of the propeller that that slips on the shaft (not the shaft).  Once it is hot I use a spray bottle to spray water on the end of the propeller ( this sound strange) but the water is sucked into the hub of the propeller and breaks up any corrosion between the hub and shaft.  I several times and then I put the puller on with tension and heat the hub again.  I usually use a breaker bar on the puller bolt after heating.  I have not experience a failure.

One further note when you reinstall the shaft make sure you dimple the shaft where the locking bolts secure the shaft to the transmission and make sure you use a locking wire.

Based on personal experience I also a zine on the interior portion of the shaft ahead of the stuffing box about 5 inches ahead of the box.  If you have a failure at the transmission connection (which I did experience) it is an easy fix.  Hope this helps.




On Jan 29, 2019, at 7:34 AM, maggouilloux maggouilloux@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Good morning,


I'm the owner from Masim's, a Mango from 1988.

I'have a problem with my propeler shaft and my propeler. I have To change them. Maybe somebody on the Amel group can help me : what are the difficulties ? and maybe somebody knows the reference of the Mango's propeler. 

We are actually in Panama. 

Thanks a lot

Eric 

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furler motors & Headsail - Santorin

Donald Patterson
 

The boom out haul motor has failed.  I talked to Ms. Maud at Amel. She advised me that Amel does not have replacement available for my 1987 Amel Mango.  Do you have any suggestions as to a source for a replacement or a company that rebuilds the 12 volt motors?

Don Patterson


On Jan 28, 2019, at 8:48 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi John.

I started a new topic for you as you had buried your post in a thread about insurance which is quite confusing.


It may be more helpful if you would describe what problem you have that suggests you want to replace your original furler motors, or are you looking for spares, or what?  Usually, the reduction gears are the problem, not the motors and if you tell us bit more about your problem we may be able to offer more helpful suggestions.  As to your headsail, again, some more information about what you want to do would help you to get more useful replies. Have you approached a sailmaker about this and have a question, or what?


Best regards,

Craig Briggs, SN68 - Sangaris, Ft Pierce, Florida


---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Happy new year one and all

Anyone out there replaced the original furler motors in past and head sail on a Santorini and if so be really great full to learn the name and spec of replacement units

Best 

John Hayes 
NGA Waka
SN 41

New Zealand