Date   
Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Companionway ( washboard ) rubber seal replacement?

Mike Ondra
 

When you order this you get 2 ea. 4 ft. pieces. So I do have extra pieces which I had at the rendezvous but failed to mention. You are welcome to one.

The metal does extend above the wood and is quite robust so I didn't bend it down and no problem when stepped upon.

Mike Ondra
Aletes SM #240 Rock Hall, MD
Soon to be St. Augustine, FL

On Oct 20, 2018, at 10:31 AM, bazgrayson@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Mike, I'm about to purchase this seal from Rockauto but have a few questions first.

Do you have any material left?
It looks like the metal piece is raised above the level of the fixed piece of wood that is on the outside of the door. Did you ever bend that down flush or have you left it raised, i tend to put my foot on the door sometimes.
I wish i had looked at it while at the rendezvous
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406
Ft Lauderdale

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Companionway ( washboard ) rubber seal replacement?

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Kent,

I have always kept my companionway varnished. Add to that furniture polish and it goes up and down really easily, have to be careful not to let it drop. My weather shield strip is original.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 21 October 2018 at 09:37 "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Here’s what I found a few years ago, it works great.


Here's the gasket material I found that works fine.  It's enough to do two replacements.

My first replacement in 2010 has dried out and needs replacement again after 5 years.

Purchased at JCWhitney.com

+1 800-529-4486

 

Belt Weatherstripping

Item No. 819751

 

Cost including shipping in 2010 was $28 US.


No bending required, just holes drilled and cut to length.


Since I put spar urethane on the companionway door, I’ve had no black rubber coming off on the door as it slides up and down.

 

Kent

SM243

Kristy 



On Oct 20, 2018, at 10:31 AM, bazgrayson@... [amelyachtowners] < amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Mike, I'm about to purchase this seal from Rockauto but have a few questions first.

Do you have any material left?
It looks like the metal piece is raised above the level of the fixed piece of wood that is on the outside of the door. Did you ever bend that down flush or have you left it raised, i tend to put my foot on the door sometimes.
I wish i had looked at it while at the rendezvous
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406
Ft Lauderdale

 

 


 


 

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Companionway ( washboard ) rubber seal replacement?

karkauai
 

Here’s what I found a few years ago, it works great.

Here's the gasket material I found that works fine.  It's enough to do two replacements.

My first replacement in 2010 has dried out and needs replacement again after 5 years.

Purchased at JCWhitney.com

+1 800-529-4486

 

Belt Weatherstripping

Item No. 819751

 

Cost including shipping in 2010 was $28 US.


No bending required, just holes drilled and cut to length.


Since I put spar urethane on the companionway door, I’ve had no black rubber coming off on the door as it slides up and down.

 

Kent

SM243

Kristy 



On Oct 20, 2018, at 10:31 AM, bazgrayson@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Mike, I'm about to purchase this seal from Rockauto but have a few questions first.

Do you have any material left?
It looks like the metal piece is raised above the level of the fixed piece of wood that is on the outside of the door. Did you ever bend that down flush or have you left it raised, i tend to put my foot on the door sometimes.
I wish i had looked at it while at the rendezvous
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406
Ft Lauderdale

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Grenada summer insurance

Mark Erdos
 

Bill,

 

This is good news. We, along with many other Pantaenius customers, are actively shopping. Looking forward to hearing more.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Aruba

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 2:16 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Grenada summer insurance

 

 

I have recommended Pantaenius for the last 2 years, but I have always said, that the "best boat insurance company" changes often. It has changed! I currently would recommend avoiding Pantaenius because they have "lawyered" their policies with legal traps (requirements) which are apparently designed in such a way to avoid paying a claim. I am not sure who I would recommend at this point. 

 

Sometime early next year I hope to announce a policy designed for Amel Yacht Owners. Unfortunately, at this time, I can't say anything else about it. And, it may not be anything better than what's available. I have not been given a copy of the policy language yet. I will let you all know more when I know more.

 

Best,

 

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  
http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

 

 

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 11:15 AM greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Steve,

 

We have been looking at the Pantaenius "hurricane zone" coverage conditions as well since we are considering the Southwest Caribbean for the summer season.  We found the requirements for land storage (Paragraph 1),inside building storage (Paragraph 2) and in-water storage (Paragraph 3) impractical for a vessel that wasn't out of service for the season--if such things are even available in the real world of the islands.  Fortunately there is a Paragraph 4, that we feel would meet our needs:

The insured vessel may be moved in order to avoid the effects of the NTS and prevent damage or loss, provided the vessel is moved in a time, manner, and direction reasonably calculated to avoid the NTS based on the projected path of the NTS and provided the projected path of the NTS is monitored by the insured at all times. If the vessel is moved and then secured, it must be secured in accordance with requirement 1, 2, or 3 above, unless the projected path of the NTS indicates the vessel will not be affected by the NTS. 

Certainly not everybody's possible answer, but for most of the Caribbean, if where you are has a bull's eye on it, heading south is (rarely) a mistake.  And if we get to the San Blas Islands, the risk there of a named storm is very small.  Certainly lower risk than anyplace on the USA East Coast south of Maine.

 

Bill Kinney

SM160, Harmonie

Annapolis, MD, USA

 

 


---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Hello All.  TouRai is presently in Hampton Virginia preparing for the Salty Dawg Rally to the BVI.  As this year's plan may involve a summer in Grenada, we are working with Pantaenius to obtain our new coverage.  While reading through the "Named Tropical Storm Plan Requirements" of my new policy quote, Pantaenius writes:

1.    The insured vessel shall be hauled and secured a unitized cradle suitable for the vessel or in a hurricane pit. With either arrangement, the vessel is to be lashed directly to the ground or to concrete blocks, one concrete block with a minimum weight of 5000 lbs to be located at each lashing anchor point. Lashing is to be accomplished using a minimum of one (1) tensioning strap located symmetrically on each side of the vessel for every 10 feet of vessel length.
Each strap shall have a minimum breaking strength of 5000 lbs. Single straps may be run transversely across the vessel and lashed to the ground or concrete blocks on both sides of
the vessel to accomplish required lashings. In addition, the vessel interior and stowage lockers shall be secured and locked to prevent theft and vandalism and all loose or removable items, components, parts, and equipment, including but not limited to personal effects, sails, cushions, canvas, and covers, must be removed and properly secured to prevent damage or loss.





My question to the members here who have spent time in Grenada is, "how difficult is it to meet such requirements in Grenada?  Is this the sort of set up I can expect to find on short notice, or is this a setup that Pantaenius assumes I can't fulfill?  When summering in Grenada, do you pay a haul out facility to hold a spot for you should you need it?  

 

Any advice would be welcome as our renewal date is approaching.  Staying below 30.5 already comes with a stiff premium increase through Pantaenius, I just want to believe that I am not paying more for coverage stipulations that I will not be ale to satisfy should the time come.

 

All the best to you all as we await the annual 01Nov release...

 

Steve Morrison

SM 380 TouRai

Hampton, VA

 

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Grenada summer insurance

 

I have recommended Pantaenius for the last 2 years, but I have always said, that the "best boat insurance company" changes often. It has changed! I currently would recommend avoiding Pantaenius because they have "lawyered" their policies with legal traps (requirements) which are apparently designed in such a way to avoid paying a claim. I am not sure who I would recommend at this point. 

Sometime early next year I hope to announce a policy designed for Amel Yacht Owners. Unfortunately, at this time, I can't say anything else about it. And, it may not be anything better than what's available. I have not been given a copy of the policy language yet. I will let you all know more when I know more.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970



On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 11:15 AM greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Steve,


We have been looking at the Pantaenius "hurricane zone" coverage conditions as well since we are considering the Southwest Caribbean for the summer season.  We found the requirements for land storage (Paragraph 1),inside building storage (Paragraph 2) and in-water storage (Paragraph 3) impractical for a vessel that wasn't out of service for the season--if such things are even available in the real world of the islands.  Fortunately there is a Paragraph 4, that we feel would meet our needs:
The insured vessel may be moved in order to avoid the effects of the NTS and prevent damage or loss, provided the vessel is moved in a time, manner, and direction reasonably calculated to avoid the NTS based on the projected path of the NTS and provided the projected path of the NTS is monitored by the insured at all times. If the vessel is moved and then secured, it must be secured in accordance with requirement 1, 2, or 3 above, unless the projected path of the NTS indicates the vessel will not be affected by the NTS. 
Certainly not everybody's possible answer, but for most of the Caribbean, if where you are has a bull's eye on it, heading south is (rarely) a mistake.  And if we get to the San Blas Islands, the risk there of a named storm is very small.  Certainly lower risk than anyplace on the USA East Coast south of Maine.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA



---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Hello All.  TouRai is presently in Hampton Virginia preparing for the Salty Dawg Rally to the BVI.  As this year's plan may involve a summer in Grenada, we are working with Pantaenius to obtain our new coverage.  While reading through the "Named Tropical Storm Plan Requirements" of my new policy quote, Pantaenius writes:
  1. The insured vessel shall be hauled and secured a unitized cradle suitable for the vessel or in a hurricane pit. With either arrangement, the vessel is to be lashed directly to the ground or to concrete blocks, one concrete block with a minimum weight of 5000 lbs to be located at each lashing anchor point. Lashing is to be accomplished using a minimum of one (1) tensioning strap located symmetrically on each side of the vessel for every 10 feet of vessel length.
    Each strap shall have a minimum breaking strength of 5000 lbs. Single straps may be run transversely across the vessel and lashed to the ground or concrete blocks on both sides of
    the vessel to accomplish required lashings. In addition, the vessel interior and stowage lockers shall be secured and locked to prevent theft and vandalism and all loose or removable items, components, parts, and equipment, including but not limited to personal effects, sails, cushions, canvas, and covers, must be removed and properly secured to prevent damage or loss.


    My question to the members here who have spent time in Grenada is, "how difficult is it to meet such requirements in Grenada?  Is this the sort of set up I can expect to find on short notice, or is this a setup that Pantaenius assumes I can't fulfill?  When summering in Grenada, do you pay a haul out facility to hold a spot for you should you need it?  

    Any advice would be welcome as our renewal date is approaching.  Staying below 30.5 already comes with a stiff premium increase through Pantaenius, I just want to believe that I am not paying more for coverage stipulations that I will not be ale to satisfy should the time come.

    All the best to you all as we await the annual 01Nov release...

    Steve Morrison
    SM 380 TouRai
    Hampton, VA

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan generator exhaust sensor [2 Attachments]

Alin SM 283
 

Thank you guys.  I will take pictures of wiring, genset serial number and sensor and send them to Onan.


On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 at 1:34, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:
 

Alin,

If you have 2 wires on each terminal, I suspect that you have another sensor or switch  wired parallel to the elbow sensor, which is normally closed. The second sensor may also be normally closed and is open due to a fault. 

The part number that Ian and I  gave you is a normally closed temperature activated sensor switch. Before you do anything, check the continuity of the sensor you have.

The Onan generator used in Amel Super Maramus changed over the years. There may be as many as 4 or 5 different models. I suggest that when asking about the Onan, you always state your model. The fact that your sensor has 2 wires on each terminal and the Onan MDKAV on SM 387 has a single wire on each terminal is probably because of different models. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018, 01:54 Alin Misescu alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Bill.

Thanks for that.  I have to sets of wires going to each terminal.  Definitely when connected it shuts down. Do you think I should go ahead and order or it might me a different part?
Regards
Alin, SM2k, 283 Wanderer





On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 at 12:42, Bill Rouse
<brouse@...> wrote:
I can confirm that it is Switch Temperature Exhaust cutoff Onan Part 309-0295-01

But, I thought it was normally closed. 

It sounds like yours is normally open? It may be possible that 1 or more of these are connected in series and the actual fault is on the next in the series.

I had a mechanic on board who accidentally broke that sensor on the exhaust elbow. He did not tell me he broke it and a few days later I found the 2 wires on that sensor tied together. The generator worked fine with them connected and shut down with them disconnected. Of course it is possible that different Onan models operate differently. Here is a photo of the two wires tied together. BTW, that mechanic bought a new cutoff sensor.
image.png

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970



On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 2:20 PM Alin Misescu alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hey Ian. Thanks very much for that. Will order one asap.

Best regards.
Alin, SM2k 283 , Wanderer


On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 21:10, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners]
 

Hi Alin,

The Onan part number is 0309-0295-01 Switch - Temperature. I got a spare from my local Onan dealer. Your problem is not unheard of. Good luck.

Ian shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Marmaris Turkey


On 19/10/2018 09:31, alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Onan on a SM 2k, the generator starts and dies. After some reading , I discovered the problem, the sensor that is placed on the exhaust elbow. I took the wires and isolated them from each other and it runs perfectly. You put them together, the engine dies. Si I am pretty sure it is the sensor. Do you guys know where I can order it and what do I ask for? Is it called exhaust heat sensor?
Thank you.
Regards,
Alin


Small tips

eamonn.washington@...
 

Hi

I bought Travel Bug 3.5 years ago and learned a lot from this forum. Now I can contribute some small tips for others. Had I have known these beforehand it would have saved me a lot of aggravation!

1) In the forward cabin’s locker that gives access to the chain locker there is a small nut coming from the bow thruster. Ensure this nut is tight! If it come off, the bow thruster can rotate when it is descending and destroy the up/down mechanism. It happened to me this year, a local mechanic made a new one for me.

2) At the end of season, after the in mast furling sails are removed then the tube clangs inside the mast when rocking in any waves. I discovered that if you take 3 thick mooring lines and tie them (via rolling hitches with thinner lines) to the device that the hayard is attached to, then hoist that to the upper spreader, then you and your neighbours will be able to sleep all night.

3) In the Mediterranean, with stern-to mooring, always leave power to the windlass switched on. If you are away from the boat and somebody pulls up your anchor, then anybody (sailor, fisher man) that jumps onto your boat has a chance to set the anchor again if the windlass is powered.

4) At least in the mediterranean with stern-to mooring, always leave an easy to read sign that simply says ‘captain’ and your phone number. If there is any problem (anchor, alarm going off, you are in an unmarked “reserved” spot) then you will be reachable. So always take your charged phone out with you too.

It is the end of the season for me as we haul out on Wednesday in Cleopatra Marina in Greece.

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
SM 151

Re: Grenada summer insurance

greatketch@...
 

Steve,

We have been looking at the Pantaenius "hurricane zone" coverage conditions as well since we are considering the Southwest Caribbean for the summer season.  We found the requirements for land storage (Paragraph 1),inside building storage (Paragraph 2) and in-water storage (Paragraph 3) impractical for a vessel that wasn't out of service for the season--if such things are even available in the real world of the islands.  Fortunately there is a Paragraph 4, that we feel would meet our needs:
The insured vessel may be moved in order to avoid the effects of the NTS and prevent damage or loss, provided the vessel is moved in a time, manner, and direction reasonably calculated to avoid the NTS based on the projected path of the NTS and provided the projected path of the NTS is monitored by the insured at all times. If the vessel is moved and then secured, it must be secured in accordance with requirement 1, 2, or 3 above, unless the projected path of the NTS indicates the vessel will not be affected by the NTS. 
Certainly not everybody's possible answer, but for most of the Caribbean, if where you are has a bull's eye on it, heading south is (rarely) a mistake.  And if we get to the San Blas Islands, the risk there of a named storm is very small.  Certainly lower risk than anyplace on the USA East Coast south of Maine.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA



---In amelyachtowners@..., <steve_morrison@...> wrote :

Hello All.  TouRai is presently in Hampton Virginia preparing for the Salty Dawg Rally to the BVI.  As this year's plan may involve a summer in Grenada, we are working with Pantaenius to obtain our new coverage.  While reading through the "Named Tropical Storm Plan Requirements" of my new policy quote, Pantaenius writes:
  1. The insured vessel shall be hauled and secured a unitized cradle suitable for the vessel or in a hurricane pit. With either arrangement, the vessel is to be lashed directly to the ground or to concrete blocks, one concrete block with a minimum weight of 5000 lbs to be located at each lashing anchor point. Lashing is to be accomplished using a minimum of one (1) tensioning strap located symmetrically on each side of the vessel for every 10 feet of vessel length.
    Each strap shall have a minimum breaking strength of 5000 lbs. Single straps may be run transversely across the vessel and lashed to the ground or concrete blocks on both sides of
    the vessel to accomplish required lashings. In addition, the vessel interior and stowage lockers shall be secured and locked to prevent theft and vandalism and all loose or removable items, components, parts, and equipment, including but not limited to personal effects, sails, cushions, canvas, and covers, must be removed and properly secured to prevent damage or loss.


    My question to the members here who have spent time in Grenada is, "how difficult is it to meet such requirements in Grenada?  Is this the sort of set up I can expect to find on short notice, or is this a setup that Pantaenius assumes I can't fulfill?  When summering in Grenada, do you pay a haul out facility to hold a spot for you should you need it?  

    Any advice would be welcome as our renewal date is approaching.  Staying below 30.5 already comes with a stiff premium increase through Pantaenius, I just want to believe that I am not paying more for coverage stipulations that I will not be ale to satisfy should the time come.

    All the best to you all as we await the annual 01Nov release...

    Steve Morrison
    SM 380 TouRai
    Hampton, VA

Re: Companionway ( washboard ) rubber seal replacement?

Alan Grayson
 

Hi Mike, I'm about to purchase this seal from Rockauto but have a few questions first.
Do you have any material left?
It looks like the metal piece is raised above the level of the fixed piece of wood that is on the outside of the door. Did you ever bend that down flush or have you left it raised, i tend to put my foot on the door sometimes.
I wish i had looked at it while at the rendezvous
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406
Ft Lauderdale

Re: Gennaker

Duane Siegfri
 

Dave,

Thanks for your reply, but my Amel Owners Manual gives instruction for the sail in the "Optional Equipment" in section 7.12 "Gennaker" , and it looks identical to the photos in the manual down to the colors in the furler line.  

The manual notes "The gennaker is a sail which can be used between 60 and 100 degrees respect to the wind, until 18 knots of apparent wind."

I'll sheet it thru the jib turning block for now, but maybe it would be better in the block further aft.

Best regards,
Duane

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan generator exhaust sensor [2 Attachments]

 

Alin,

If you have 2 wires on each terminal, I suspect that you have another sensor or switch  wired parallel to the elbow sensor, which is normally closed. The second sensor may also be normally closed and is open due to a fault. 

The part number that Ian and I  gave you is a normally closed temperature activated sensor switch. Before you do anything, check the continuity of the sensor you have.

The Onan generator used in Amel Super Maramus changed over the years. There may be as many as 4 or 5 different models. I suggest that when asking about the Onan, you always state your model. The fact that your sensor has 2 wires on each terminal and the Onan MDKAV on SM 387 has a single wire on each terminal is probably because of different models. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018, 01:54 Alin Misescu alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Bill.

Thanks for that.  I have to sets of wires going to each terminal.  Definitely when connected it shuts down. Do you think I should go ahead and order or it might me a different part?
Regards
Alin, SM2k, 283 Wanderer





On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 at 12:42, Bill Rouse
<brouse@...> wrote:
I can confirm that it is Switch Temperature Exhaust cutoff Onan Part 309-0295-01

But, I thought it was normally closed. 

It sounds like yours is normally open? It may be possible that 1 or more of these are connected in series and the actual fault is on the next in the series.

I had a mechanic on board who accidentally broke that sensor on the exhaust elbow. He did not tell me he broke it and a few days later I found the 2 wires on that sensor tied together. The generator worked fine with them connected and shut down with them disconnected. Of course it is possible that different Onan models operate differently. Here is a photo of the two wires tied together. BTW, that mechanic bought a new cutoff sensor.
image.png

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970



On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 2:20 PM Alin Misescu alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hey Ian. Thanks very much for that. Will order one asap.

Best regards.
Alin, SM2k 283 , Wanderer


On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 21:10, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners]
 

Hi Alin,

The Onan part number is 0309-0295-01 Switch - Temperature. I got a spare from my local Onan dealer. Your problem is not unheard of. Good luck.

Ian shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Marmaris Turkey


On 19/10/2018 09:31, alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Onan on a SM 2k, the generator starts and dies. After some reading , I discovered the problem, the sensor that is placed on the exhaust elbow. I took the wires and isolated them from each other and it runs perfectly. You put them together, the engine dies. Si I am pretty sure it is the sensor. Do you guys know where I can order it and what do I ask for? Is it called exhaust heat sensor?
Thank you.
Regards,
Alin


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan generator exhaust sensor [2 Attachments]

karkauai
 

Hmmm, that’s interesting.  Only one set of wires on Kristy’s exhaust temp shut-off switch.  She’s SM 243 with Onan MDKAL 6.5KW.
There must be different configurations, so take a pic of the sensor and get numbers from it before you buy.  

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

 

Hi Bill.

Thanks for that.  I have to sets of wires going to each terminal.  Definitely when connected it shuts down. Do you think I should go ahead and order or it might me a different part?
Regards
Alin, SM2k, 283 Wanderer
<20181020_194854.jpg>

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan generator exhaust sensor

Alin SM 283
 

Hi Bill.
Thanks for that.  I have to sets of wires going to each terminal.  Definitely when connected it shuts down. Do you think I should go ahead and order or it might me a different part?
Regards
Alin, SM2k, 283 Wanderer





On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 at 12:42, Bill Rouse
wrote:
I can confirm that it is Switch Temperature Exhaust cutoff Onan Part 309-0295-01

But, I thought it was normally closed. 

It sounds like yours is normally open? It may be possible that 1 or more of these are connected in series and the actual fault is on the next in the series.

I had a mechanic on board who accidentally broke that sensor on the exhaust elbow. He did not tell me he broke it and a few days later I found the 2 wires on that sensor tied together. The generator worked fine with them connected and shut down with them disconnected. Of course it is possible that different Onan models operate differently. Here is a photo of the two wires tied together. BTW, that mechanic bought a new cutoff sensor.


Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970



On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 2:20 PM Alin Misescu alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hey Ian. Thanks very much for that. Will order one asap.

Best regards.
Alin, SM2k 283 , Wanderer


On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 21:10, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners]
 

Hi Alin,

The Onan part number is 0309-0295-01 Switch - Temperature. I got a spare from my local Onan dealer. Your problem is not unheard of. Good luck.

Ian shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Marmaris Turkey


On 19/10/2018 09:31, alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Onan on a SM 2k, the generator starts and dies. After some reading , I discovered the problem, the sensor that is placed on the exhaust elbow. I took the wires and isolated them from each other and it runs perfectly. You put them together, the engine dies. Si I am pretty sure it is the sensor. Do you guys know where I can order it and what do I ask for? Is it called exhaust heat sensor?
Thank you.
Regards,
Alin


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan generator exhaust sensor

 

I can confirm that it is Switch Temperature Exhaust cutoff Onan Part 309-0295-01

But, I thought it was normally closed. 

It sounds like yours is normally open? It may be possible that 1 or more of these are connected in series and the actual fault is on the next in the series.

I had a mechanic on board who accidentally broke that sensor on the exhaust elbow. He did not tell me he broke it and a few days later I found the 2 wires on that sensor tied together. The generator worked fine with them connected and shut down with them disconnected. Of course it is possible that different Onan models operate differently. Here is a photo of the two wires tied together. BTW, that mechanic bought a new cutoff sensor.


Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970



On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 2:20 PM Alin Misescu alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hey Ian. Thanks very much for that. Will order one asap.

Best regards.
Alin, SM2k 283 , Wanderer


On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 21:10, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners]
 

Hi Alin,

The Onan part number is 0309-0295-01 Switch - Temperature. I got a spare from my local Onan dealer. Your problem is not unheard of. Good luck.

Ian shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Marmaris Turkey


On 19/10/2018 09:31, alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Onan on a SM 2k, the generator starts and dies. After some reading , I discovered the problem, the sensor that is placed on the exhaust elbow. I took the wires and isolated them from each other and it runs perfectly. You put them together, the engine dies. Si I am pretty sure it is the sensor. Do you guys know where I can order it and what do I ask for? Is it called exhaust heat sensor?
Thank you.
Regards,
Alin


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Ballooner Not Locking

 

Ian,

Maybe the attached will help you. I got the photo of the plastic piece that connects to the the tongue and added it to my book today. Thanks Danny Simms and Gary Wells.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970



On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 3:04 AM Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Thanks Danny,

I could not get it down this morning to look but will do so at the first opportunity.

Regards

Ian

Crusader


On 19/10/2018 01:31, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 

Hi. I attach a photo of the swivel with the tongue beside it. Second try.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 19 October 2018 at 07:02 "Danny Simms sailorman.ds@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

 

 

Hi Bill,
further to my last. The reason it won't be over the slot is because the tongue I described being worn off. I struggled with the same problem before it was pointed out to me by another amelian.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 04:37, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] < amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Ian,


I have found one issue you might have a look at.  I am sure there are others that people with more Amel time than I have come across.

I haven't noticed it being sensitive to the exact height on the foil, although I haven't tested it much in that regard.

If latch actually works with all the parts in hand,  it might be an alignment issue.  Keep the lashing line from the head of the genoa very short, and be sure that the head swivel is rotating smoothly.  You want to be sure that the latch stays directly over the proper slot in the foil. If it rotates off center a bit it doesn't latch.

Bill Kinney
Sm160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA




---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

The last few times I have used my ballooner it has failed to lock into
the swivel. The halyard run looks normal and I have tried various
rotational positions other than the recommended one of the slot facing
dead aft. It still refuses to lock. I am wondering if the swivel should
be lower to offset the rearwards departure of the halyard as the hook
nears the top? I could only lower the genoa by a few inches before it
touches the pulpit rails. I have tried both my nylon and aluminium hooks
with and without the sail attached. The mousetrap on the swivel looks
and functions normally, or did a few weeks ago when I had the genoa down
after the problem first appeared.

Any thoughts please? I love using this sail.

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader (2003)

 

 

 


 


 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan generator exhaust sensor

Alin SM 283
 

Hey Ian. Thanks very much for that. Will order one asap.
Best regards.
Alin, SM2k 283 , Wanderer


On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 21:10, Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:
 

Hi Alin,

The Onan part number is 0309-0295-01 Switch - Temperature. I got a spare from my local Onan dealer. Your problem is not unheard of. Good luck.

Ian shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Marmaris Turkey


On 19/10/2018 09:31, alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
 

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Onan on a SM 2k, the generator starts and dies. After some reading , I discovered the problem, the sensor that is placed on the exhaust elbow. I took the wires and isolated them from each other and it runs perfectly. You put them together, the engine dies. Si I am pretty sure it is the sensor. Do you guys know where I can order it and what do I ask for? Is it called exhaust heat sensor?
Thank you.
Regards,
Alin


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan generator exhaust sensor

Alin SM 283
 

Thanks for your answer.  I measured the resistance through the switch and there is a permanent contact. So the switch is on all the times.  


On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 at 3:55, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:
 

It can be bad temperature switch or it could be low water flow and switch shuts it off because overhitting.

Vladimir
SM 345 "LIFE IS GOOD"

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018, 2:36 AM alin1923@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Onan on a SM 2k, the generator starts and dies. After some reading , I discovered the problem, the sensor that is placed on the exhaust elbow. I took the wires and isolated them from each other and it runs perfectly. You put them together, the engine dies. Si I am pretty sure it is the sensor. Do you guys know where I can order it and what do I ask for? Is it called exhaust heat sensor?
Thank you.
Regards,
Alin

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Climma AC - Breaker Tripping - New unit recommendations?

Willem Kroes
 

Yes Duane, with the Webasto units it works without a problem.

Kind regards,

Willem Kroes

SM # 351 KAVANGA


Op 19 okt. 2018 7:52 p.m. schreef "sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners]" :
 

For those who have replaced a Climma unit with a Webasto or Dometic unit:  did the Relay Box for the Sea Water Pump in the Engine Room work with the new air conditioning unit?


I'm assuming that all compact AC units would be set up to wire to a relay box rather than direct to a seawater pump only.

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Re: Climma AC - Breaker Tripping - New unit recommendations?

Duane Siegfri
 

For those who have replaced a Climma unit with a Webasto or Dometic unit:  did the Relay Box for the Sea Water Pump in the Engine Room work with the new air conditioning unit?

I'm assuming that all compact AC units would be set up to wire to a relay box rather than direct to a seawater pump only.

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Re: Gennaker

Dave_Benjamin
 

Duane,

What you're referring to as a "gennaker" probably isn't a gennaker. It's a downwind sail (balooner) that you will enjoy sailing deep angles (150-180) with. The windspeed restriction is very conservative. Maybe that's apparent wind as opposed to actual?

I don't have a SM manual in front of me but you do need to run the sheet through a block then up to the winch.

We've built some light air reaching sails for SM's that fill in the gap not covered by the balooner.