Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furler motors & Headsail - Santorin

Donald Patterson
 

The boom out haul motor has failed.  I talked to Ms. Maud at Amel. She advised me that Amel does not have replacement available for my 1987 Amel Mango.  Do you have any suggestions as to a source for a replacement or a company that rebuilds the 12 volt motors?

Don Patterson


On Jan 28, 2019, at 8:48 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi John.

I started a new topic for you as you had buried your post in a thread about insurance which is quite confusing.


It may be more helpful if you would describe what problem you have that suggests you want to replace your original furler motors, or are you looking for spares, or what?  Usually, the reduction gears are the problem, not the motors and if you tell us bit more about your problem we may be able to offer more helpful suggestions.  As to your headsail, again, some more information about what you want to do would help you to get more useful replies. Have you approached a sailmaker about this and have a question, or what?


Best regards,

Craig Briggs, SN68 - Sangaris, Ft Pierce, Florida


---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Happy new year one and all

Anyone out there replaced the original furler motors in past and head sail on a Santorini and if so be really great full to learn the name and spec of replacement units

Best 

John Hayes 
NGA Waka
SN 41

New Zealand


Re: Ping pong ball valve?

paul.cooper74@...
 

Interesting that Porter has a ping pong ball on his A54, too.  So it is a relatively recent thing, clearly a French thing (the PVC fitting containing the ball says, "FRANCE" on it), but is it an Amel thing?  And is it a necessary thing?


Re: Ping pong ball valve?

paul.cooper74@...
 

Yes, seems like a non-return valve, but why would there be an issue with back flow towards the washer?


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries in Caribbean

Alan Leslie
 

We 12 x 6V AGM batteries in our house bank and one 12v AGM battery as the starting battery.
AGM batteries as I understand it, can be used as both start and deepcycle. We have had this setup for nearly 5 years now without problems. 
One thing we did do on the house bank was to install battery balancers to ensure each battery in the bank gets fully charged. Because of small differences in internal resistance, with 4 6v batteries in a series chain charged as a  24v system, the voltage across each battery will be different and this will mean that some batteries are continually undercharged...and they die. 
The same applies to 2 x 12V batteries in series but perhaps not so critical. If you have a 2 x 12v system I would suggest at least tying the middle + -  links together in each set of 2 x 12. and best, do that and install a battery balancer to keep that mid voltage at exactly half whatever the charging voltage happens to be. 
AGM batteries are also virtually maintenance free and have a higher charge acceptance rate than flooded.

Cheers
Alan
SV Elyse SM437


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries in Caribbean

 

Marine Warehouse might be an answer jonathan"at"marinewarehouse.net

Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School  
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970



On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 3:16 PM sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

My batteries are shot and I have only been able to find Dual purpose AGMs ,here in Martinique,and that was not easy,slim pickings. Question, Is dual much less desirable than dedicated deep cell,which I would prefer,if only they were available.
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries in Caribbean

Patrick McAneny
 

My batteries are shot and I have only been able to find Dual purpose AGMs ,here in Martinique,and that was not easy,slim pickings. Question, Is dual much less desirable than dedicated deep cell,which I would prefer,if only they were available.
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Ping pong ball valve?

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Sounds like it is an innovative low cost non return valve.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 31 January 2019 at 09:28 "Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

We also have the ping pong ball!


Porter
a54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Jan 30, 2019, at 12:51 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] < amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

 

Paul,

 

Sorry I can’t help but wanted to say this made me laugh hard. This has to be the funniest post to make the forum. Cheers!

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Santa Marta, Colombia

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:31 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Ping pong ball valve?

 

 

Very strange.  The T-fitting where the drain hose from the washing machine T's into the hose under the floor running to the bilge broke.  I removed the fitting--a gray plastic T with a white PVC fitting glued on the 
T part going towards the washer--and inside the white PVC fitting, which is sort of cup-shaped, was a ping pong ball!   Not a plumbing part, a REAL ping pong ball with the name of the big French sporting goods store, Decathlon, printed on it.  it appears to fit very nicely inside the PVC "cup", a bit loose-- perhaps some sort of one-way valve or flow decreasing device??  No way a ping pong ball could have gone through the wash.

 

Does anyone else have a ping pong ball in their plumbing?  Is there any need to regulate the drainage out of the washer or prevent back-flow, because if not I would just as soon replace it with a simple T, sans ping pong ball.  

 

What next?  Perhaps I will find a badminton birdie being use as a filter?

 

Paul

SM 238 "Maracuya"

Martinique

 


 

 


 


 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Ping pong ball valve?

Porter McRoberts
 

We also have the ping pong ball!

Porter
a54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Jan 30, 2019, at 12:51 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Paul,

 

Sorry I can’t help but wanted to say this made me laugh hard. This has to be the funniest post to make the forum. Cheers!

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Santa Marta, Colombia

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:31 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Ping pong ball valve?

 

 

Very strange.  The T-fitting where the drain hose from the washing machine T's into the hose under the floor running to the bilge broke.  I removed the fitting--a gray plastic T with a white PVC fitting glued on the 
T part going towards the washer--and inside the white PVC fitting, which is sort of cup-shaped, was a ping pong ball!   Not a plumbing part, a REAL ping pong ball with the name of the big French sporting goods store, Decathlon, printed on it.  it appears to fit very nicely inside the PVC "cup", a bit loose-- perhaps some sort of one-way valve or flow decreasing device??  No way a ping pong ball could have gone through the wash.

 

Does anyone else have a ping pong ball in their plumbing?  Is there any need to regulate the drainage out of the washer or prevent back-flow, because if not I would just as soon replace it with a simple T, sans ping pong ball.  

 

What next?  Perhaps I will find a badminton birdie being use as a filter?

 

Paul

SM 238 "Maracuya"

Martinique


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Ping pong ball valve?

Mark Erdos
 

Paul,

 

Sorry I can’t help but wanted to say this made me laugh hard. This has to be the funniest post to make the forum. Cheers!

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Santa Marta, Colombia

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:31 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Ping pong ball valve?

 

 

Very strange.  The T-fitting where the drain hose from the washing machine T's into the hose under the floor running to the bilge broke.  I removed the fitting--a gray plastic T with a white PVC fitting glued on the 
T part going towards the washer--and inside the white PVC fitting, which is sort of cup-shaped, was a ping pong ball!   Not a plumbing part, a REAL ping pong ball with the name of the big French sporting goods store, Decathlon, printed on it.  it appears to fit very nicely inside the PVC "cup", a bit loose-- perhaps some sort of one-way valve or flow decreasing device??  No way a ping pong ball could have gone through the wash.

 

Does anyone else have a ping pong ball in their plumbing?  Is there any need to regulate the drainage out of the washer or prevent back-flow, because if not I would just as soon replace it with a simple T, sans ping pong ball.  

 

What next?  Perhaps I will find a badminton birdie being use as a filter?

 

Paul

SM 238 "Maracuya"

Martinique


Ping pong ball valve?

paul.cooper74@...
 

Very strange.  The T-fitting where the drain hose from the washing machine T's into the hose under the floor running to the bilge broke.  I removed the fitting--a gray plastic T with a white PVC fitting glued on the 
T part going towards the washer--and inside the white PVC fitting, which is sort of cup-shaped, was a ping pong ball!   Not a plumbing part, a REAL ping pong ball with the name of the big French sporting goods store, Decathlon, printed on it.  it appears to fit very nicely inside the PVC "cup", a bit loose-- perhaps some sort of one-way valve or flow decreasing device??  No way a ping pong ball could have gone through the wash.


Does anyone else have a ping pong ball in their plumbing?  Is there any need to regulate the drainage out of the washer or prevent back-flow, because if not I would just as soon replace it with a simple T, sans ping pong ball.  


What next?  Perhaps I will find a badminton birdie being use as a filter?


Paul

SM 238 "Maracuya"

Martinique


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Batteries in Caribbean

Patrick McAneny
 

I agreed about battery prices being about double as compared to the states. I just checked on prices back in th US and apparently prices have about doubled there ,since I last bought batteries 4 yrs. ago.So it now makes it easier to pay the price here,as it looks as if it would only be a matter a a few hundred difference. What made battery prices increase so much in a short time, I couldn’t find the answer.
Pat
SM#123


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Any Amel owners who have sailed to Chile from Panama?

Alan Leslie
 

Sorry Ian 

Morph in my dictionary means change / modify

Yahoo doesn't show email addresses with @ so they have to be changed to be       abc at xyz dot com or similar.

My wife is at home in Australia struggling with 40+ every day !

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furler motors & Headsail - Santorin

JOHN HAYES
 

Thanks very much Trevor


On 30/01/2019, at 6:40 AM, Trevor Fortner tfortner1975@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi John,

On my SN27, the motors are stamped 12v 300w.  Was difficult to notice the stamp at first.  
Hope this helps somewhat.

Trevor
Currently landbound

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 2:23 AM John Hayes johnhayes862@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Thanks very much Craig 


I think the mast furling motor is something to do with the armature 

Also the motor has 4 wires coming from it and an auto electrician is telling me there should be 3

I’m reluctAnt to let him fiddle further as I’m brooding that dropping from 4 to 3 may have an impact on the relays

The problem with the furler is water entry.  I guess my fault

I’ve replaced the mast and boom end gearboxes son after buying the boat and rebuilt the gears for the furler

Seemed strange both motors got indigestion on the same day though can see for different reasons

Anyhow now travelling to Wellington where I either hope to get the armature rewound or repaired and buy a new furler motor (S)

But I have no idea of brand or motor spec to look for and I was hoping someone who had been down the road before me may have helped with advice to cut a few corners. I’ve searched papers on the boat but no joy .... all I know as mine are 12 not not 24 volts

Best

John


On 29/01/2019, at 2:48 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi John.

I started a new topic for you as you had buried your post in a thread about insurance which is quite confusing.


It may be more helpful if you would describe what problem you have that suggests you want to replace your original furler motors, or are you looking for spares, or what?  Usually, the reduction gears are the problem, not the motors and if you tell us bit more about your problem we may be able to offer more helpful suggestions.  As to your headsail, again, some more information about what you want to do would help you to get more useful replies. Have you approached a sailmaker about this and have a question, or what?


Best regards,

Craig Briggs, SN68 - Sangaris, Ft Pierce, Florida


---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Happy new year one and all

Anyone out there replaced the original furler motors in past and head sail on a Santorini and if so be really great full to learn the name and spec of replacement units

Best 

John Hayes 
NGA Waka
SN 41

New Zealand


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furler motors & Headsail - Santorin

tfortner1975
 

Hi John,

On my SN27, the motors are stamped 12v 300w.  Was difficult to notice the stamp at first.  
Hope this helps somewhat.

Trevor
Currently landbound

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 2:23 AM John Hayes johnhayes862@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Thanks very much Craig 


I think the mast furling motor is something to do with the armature 

Also the motor has 4 wires coming from it and an auto electrician is telling me there should be 3

I’m reluctAnt to let him fiddle further as I’m brooding that dropping from 4 to 3 may have an impact on the relays

The problem with the furler is water entry.  I guess my fault

I’ve replaced the mast and boom end gearboxes son after buying the boat and rebuilt the gears for the furler

Seemed strange both motors got indigestion on the same day though can see for different reasons

Anyhow now travelling to Wellington where I either hope to get the armature rewound or repaired and buy a new furler motor (S)

But I have no idea of brand or motor spec to look for and I was hoping someone who had been down the road before me may have helped with advice to cut a few corners. I’ve searched papers on the boat but no joy .... all I know as mine are 12 not not 24 volts

Best

John


On 29/01/2019, at 2:48 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi John.

I started a new topic for you as you had buried your post in a thread about insurance which is quite confusing.


It may be more helpful if you would describe what problem you have that suggests you want to replace your original furler motors, or are you looking for spares, or what?  Usually, the reduction gears are the problem, not the motors and if you tell us bit more about your problem we may be able to offer more helpful suggestions.  As to your headsail, again, some more information about what you want to do would help you to get more useful replies. Have you approached a sailmaker about this and have a question, or what?


Best regards,

Craig Briggs, SN68 - Sangaris, Ft Pierce, Florida


---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Happy new year one and all

Anyone out there replaced the original furler motors in past and head sail on a Santorini and if so be really great full to learn the name and spec of replacement units

Best 

John Hayes 
NGA Waka
SN 41

New Zealand


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] The Mechanics of Battery Equalization

karkauai
 

Oops, I answered the wrong Guru.  Seems like both of you are waaay ahead of me when it comes to fixing your boats.  My last post was more for general info for folks who are new to cruising, batteries, sulfation, etc...like I was a few years ago and still feel like I am too often.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Jan 28, 2019, at 9:18 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Kent,

thanks but your reply should have been addressed to Gary.

Cheers

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 29 January 2019 at 14:35 "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

 

Hi Danny,
I have a Victron Skylla-i 24v/80A charger for the last 3 years.  So far very happy with it.  It has equalization cycles that can be automatic, or only manual. I chose the manual because I want to know when the voltages are over 30 as recommended by my battery company.  There are several preset modes depending on your battery type, and an adjustable setting where you can set your Abs and Float voltages.  On that setting, the equalization voltage is Abs Voltage plus 3.6V, limited by Amperage to 25% of 80 Amp max with my charger (or how ever you set the max), or 4 hours.  So if Amperage reaches 20A during equaliation, the voltage will drop to the point that gives 20A charging.

Hope that helps,
Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy
Still in Ft Lauderdale waiting for faucet parts...Ugh.


From: amelliahona <no_reply@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 8:20 AM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] The Mechanics of Battery Equalization

 
 
Hi All:

My 50 Amp Dolphin Battery charger (original Amel) suddenly died upon re-commissioning the boat after our hurricane repairs.  Having an electronics background I contacted Dolphin for schematics and a parts list which they promptly provided for this 17 year old product, (wow, I was impressed, and when I have a moment I will post those items in the files section).  As usual the failed parts were two capacitors (that seems to be the most common failure mode for all things electric on our boats).  The exact part number was available and I obtained those and installed them and voila, the beast is alive.  The LED indicators also went at the same time, so I found replacements for those cute little rectangular LEDs, replaced them, and checks show everything is working as prior including the multistage charging etc.  Total cost about $16.00 US and a day's labor at my exorbitant shop rate of $0.00 per hour.  If you actually paid someone to render this repair it would probably be cheaper to buy a new charger.

My chargers don't have an equalization mode so I have been using a DC power supply to equalize pairs (4 pairs) at 31 volts at 5 amps.  This is laborious (2 day) process but forces me to carefully watch the process and monitor temps, water levels, specific gravity etc.  I also isolate each pair from the boat during the process to avoid any damage to any boat items. 

As I considered a new charger (just in case I couldn't fix the Dolphin 50 A), I found that I couldn't find any marine 28 volt DC, 50-60 amp output, input 220-230 volt, 50-60 hertz chargers that have an equalization mode.  Blue Sea makes one but it is a max 40 Amp DC output,  Mastervolt and Victron don't have any with an equalization mode (at least that I could discover in their literature).  So I have two questions for the group:

1.  What charger do you have that has an equalization mode?  

2.  When you do the equalization, how do you isolate the house bank batteries from the boat? (I know that turning off the two large red handles in the quarter-berth companionway turns off most of the power to the boat, but I wasn't certain if there are "sneak, hot battery bus" type circuits that are wired (e.g. inverters, solar panel regulators etc).  The chargers do NOT go thru the large red handled shut off switches.  

Your thoughts and experiences would be most welcome. 

Sincerely 
Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Del Rey Marina - Puerto Rico
 


 


 


 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Furler motors & Headsail - Santorin

Craig Briggs
 

Hi John,

Before you dismiss your auto electrician, tell him this motor is wired to run either forward or backward, which, of course, he would never have seen on an automobile, and hence, four wires. That may give him an "aha moment" and he can get on with repairs and understand he cannot go to 3 wires.

But, before you proceed, did you test the motor yourself by putting 12v directly to the motor wires? Did you test to be sure you've got 12v at the feed wires after disconnecting the motors and operating the furler switches. 

I ask because the the diagnosis of needing a rewind on both motors is, well, "unique" at best. It would be very, very unlikely that both motors failed the same day due to water intrusion. It is very, very likely that you've got a different problem. Keep checking before you go to the expense of new equipment and let us know what you find. As our Yogi Berra said, "You can observe a lot by looking around."

If it comes to buying replacements, I don't know the original spec (I just fix the old ;-), but your auto mechanic should be able to size an equivalent replacement - these are just off-the-shelf items, not unique Amel stuff.

Hope this helps a bit,
Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN68



---In amelyachtowners@..., <johnhayes862@...> wrote :

Thanks very much Craig 

I think the mast furling motor is something to do with the armature 

Also the motor has 4 wires coming from it and an auto electrician is telling me there should be 3

I’m reluctAnt to let him fiddle further as I’m brooding that dropping from 4 to 3 may have an impact on the relays

The problem with the furler is water entry.  I guess my fault

I’ve replaced the mast and boom end gearboxes son after buying the boat and rebuilt the gears for the furler

Seemed strange both motors got indigestion on the same day though can see for different reasons

Anyhow now travelling to Wellington where I either hope to get the armature rewound or repaired and buy a new furler motor (S)

But I have no idea of brand or motor spec to look for and I was hoping someone who had been down the road before me may have helped with advice to cut a few corners. I’ve searched papers on the boat but no joy .... all I know as mine are 12 not not 24 volts

Best

John


On 29/01/2019, at 2:48 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi John.

I started a new topic for you as you had buried your post in a thread about insurance which is quite confusing.


It may be more helpful if you would describe what problem you have that suggests you want to replace your original furler motors, or are you looking for spares, or what?  Usually, the reduction gears are the problem, not the motors and if you tell us bit more about your problem we may be able to offer more helpful suggestions.  As to your headsail, again, some more information about what you want to do would help you to get more useful replies. Have you approached a sailmaker about this and have a question, or what?


Best regards,

Craig Briggs, SN68 - Sangaris, Ft Pierce, Florida


---In amelyachtowners@..., <johnhayes862@...> wrote :

Happy new year one and all

Anyone out there replaced the original furler motors in past and head sail on a Santorini and if so be really great full to learn the name and spec of replacement units

Best 

John Hayes 
NGA Waka
SN 41

New Zealand


BAMAR furlers for sale

Teun BAAS
 

I have for sale the genoa and the stay sail electric BAMAR furlers; complete with electronic boxes from my 2009 A54.

From what I see from documentation on the boat the original BAMAR furlers installed in May 2009 were replaced by the next generation BAMAR furlers in 2014/2015.

 

I used the special BAMAR promotion and replaced both furlers with the latest generation in Q3 2018.

 

The genoa furler is working perfectly; however in the last days of sailing prior to the change over to the new furlers the stay sail furler developed a problem – I am sure it is the rubber belt and I believe I have a spare on board but never bothered to fix it as I replaced both systems.

 

Both furlers are currently in NOUMEA, NEW CALEDONIA.

I am currently in USA and will be back on the boat last week February 2019.

 

If interested pls Email me: teun at amelit dot net

 

Best Regards Teun BAAS

AMELIT A 54 - #128

Jan 29, 2019   05:49:36

 

 

 

 


Propeler shaft

maggouilloux <maggouilloux@...>
 

Good morning,

I'm the owner from Masim's, a Mango from 1988.

I'have a problem with my propeler shaft and my propeler. I have To change them. Maybe somebody on the Amel group can help me : what are the difficulties ? and maybe somebody knows the reference of the Mango's propeler. 

We are actually in Panama. 

Thanks a lot

Eric 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Any Amel owners who have sailed to Chile from Panama?

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

Hi Alan,

 Forgive my ignorance, but can you explain " morph" ?

Opua sounds more comfortable than England right now, though I hope you haven't got the 46 c that the Aussies have !

 Ian


From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of divanz620@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: 29 January 2019 09:59
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Any Amel owners who have sailed to Chile from Panama?
 


Hi Ian and Judy....

you need to morph your email address ...to xxx at yyy dot com ....or such like....
I'm interested to hear your tales as well.
Cheers

Alan
 Elyse SM437
Sweltering in Opua !!




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Any Amel owners who have sailed to Chile from Panama?

Alan Leslie
 

Hi Ian and Judy....

you need to morph your email address ...to xxx at yyy dot com ....or such like....
I'm interested to hear your tales as well.
Cheers

Alan
 Elyse SM437
Sweltering in Opua !!