Date   
Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] 'Cristec Devolteur'

Ryan Meador
 

Hi Woody,
"Devolteur" means "step down" or "buck", so I'm going to guess it's a DC-DC converter of some kind.  It seems to be made by this company.  I don't see anything exactly like it on their website, but perhaps you could contact them and ask if they can identify it from the photo.  I do not believe it to be original, but I'm pretty new to this stuff, so take that with a grain of salt.

I think it's unlikely that the voltages at the bottom represent the input and output, unless for some reason you have some 32V circuitry on your boat.  I suspect that is the input voltage range.  Maybe it makes 12V, like the converters at the nav station?  It could even be a DC-DC charger for the 12V starting battery.

Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 5:53 PM, alanwood123@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

I can't seem to find any reference to this transformer - see picture - on the forums. Is it an add-on by a previous owner or an Amel original?  If so.. erm, what exactly is it for as I can't seem to trace the wires to anywhere?


Thanks in advance


Woody

SV Haddock

SM#189


Re: How much anchor chain?

greatketch@...
 

Miles,

If I was equipping Harmonie from scratch, I'd likely go with 100m of chain, although I'd stay with the 10mm chain we have.  But we bought her with 60m of chain spliced to 60m of line.  So far, in cruising the East coast of the USA and the windward islands of the Caribbean, we have yet to deploy all 60m of chain.

On my old boat I had a similar setup, and there were times anchoring in Hawaiian waters I deployed all the chain--and most of the line--anchoring in almost 15m of water.

I figure I can anchor in nearly 10m of depth (@ a scope of 7) without the splice touching bottom, so shifting to all chain hasn't really been a priority.  I might change my mind when our cruising ground includes deeper anchorages of the South Pacific, but on the other hand Harmonie has been around the world twice with her current setup, so it can't be too bad!

Something to consider, is that an extra 50m of 12mm chain will add almost 200kg to the bow.  That's a LOT.

So...  I haven't got an absolute recommendation for you, and likely haven't told you anything you haven't already thought of.  It would be easy to find someone to make an absolute statement that 100m of chain is "required" and also you'll be told that what you have is fine.

From an anchoring perspective, 100m of chain would be better, from a sailing performance perspective, the extra weight in the bow is a significant downside. I don't think either choice is obviously wrong, just a matter of priorities.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Great Guana Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
(where we are always anchored in less than 3.5m of water!)

How much anchor chain?

smiles bernard
 

Hi there
My older (not super) Maramu came to me with 50m 12mm chain

I plan to cruise the North Atlantic with a slim chance of also going further across the Pacific.

Ideally I’d like 100m chain but the expense and hassle of change and finding the right chain for my gypsy abroad in the canaries has got me thinking about splicing octiplat instead

I’d be interested to hear others chain /rode strategies


Many thanks in advance

Miles

Maramu 162

'Cristec Devolteur'

alanwood123@...
 

I can't seem to find any reference to this transformer - see picture - on the forums. Is it an add-on by a previous owner or an Amel original?  If so.. erm, what exactly is it for as I can't seem to trace the wires to anywhere?


Thanks in advance


Woody

SV Haddock

SM#189

Some outdated replies

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hello Amelians,

you may receive some recent but outdated emails from me. My smart phone email was playing up and was not sending. Now it is corrected there is a burst of old emails going out. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Hi again Colin.if you didn't retrieve the thruster it would not be difficult to securely  plug the hole it goes through.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean pearl

Sent from my Vodafone Smart

On 19 Mar 2018 19:17, "colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

On 19 March 2018 at 21:26 simms@... wrote:

 

 

This morning we accidentally nudged a reef here in Maldives. Fortunately we were only doiing 2.5kts so no hull damage, but in getting off we sheered the bowthruster unit completely off! By this I mean it snapped at the base of the shaft where the shaft gear meets the rotary gear.


I dived and we fortunately have absolutely no damage, other than needing a full new Bowthruster unit from the shaft top down - ie just the removable unit. Just some paint scratches at bottom of keel which are no problem.


All in all, we were fortunate to be going slowly, and to get off quickly as the tide was dropping, or we would be high and dry right now, with real potential for hull damage as the water dropped and the boat rested on the rocks.


I am waiting to get in touch with Maud at Amel when they open today, however have two quick questions for the group in the interim:


1) Anyone know what the bowthruster unit costs new and if Amel have them in stock?


2) We just have the shaft in the water, no cover plate as that is sheered off. In current flat water at 3 - 7kts boat speed tested, we have no water coming in through the bowthruster unit at all. Has anyone had experience sailing without the cover plate in big seas? Did you take on water?


Having departed from Australia almost a year ago, and enjoyed cruising all of Indonesia and SE Asia with absolute trouble free cruising in this boat, we are now half way across the North Indian Ocean, and next about to cross the Southern Indian Ocean, so have every chance of big wild seas ahead. From here in the Maldives we head to Chagos next mid April till mid May, then head south to Rodriguez (June), Mauritius (July), then Reunion (July/Aug), and back up and around the top of Madagascar (NosyB - Aug/Sept) and down to Cape Town.


Our current intentions are to return to Male, the capital of Maldives, to have a new bowthruster shipped here from Amel. Depending on how long that may take Amel, and the levels of import duty in the various Indian Ocean countries,  we may need to attempt the balance of Indian Ocean crossing without it, but that worries me a lot.


This is the reason I seek the wisdom of this group, from those of you who know best, and possibly even some who may have even experienced the same issue of cruising on without the bowthruster foot and cover plate in place?


Many thanks


Colin Streeter

SV Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

svislandpearl.com






 


 

Hi again Colin.if you didn't retrieve the thruster it would not be difficult to securely  plug the hole it goes through. Regards Danny SM 299 Ocean pearl Sent from my Vodafone Smart On 19 Mar 2018 19:17, "colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners]"

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bowthruster spinning

Mark Erdos
 

Oops! I’m bad. Too much time in the sun latey.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 12:59 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bowthruster spinning

 

 

Hi Paul. Previously a client and now a friend, Mark on CREAMPUFF might not have noticed that you have an Amel 54 and not a Super Maramu 53. The bow thrusters on these boats are entirely different from one another and I do not believe there is a tool for the 54 that allows one to remove the propeller leg while in the water. My SM 53 had this tool and I made use of it on more than one occasion. My 54 didn’t have a water service tool or mention of this in the manual as far as I can remember. Anyone out there with an Amel 54, please feel free to correct me if I am in error. Wouldn’t be the only time…

 

All The Best, Joel

Joel F. Potter/Cruising Yacht Specialist LLC

THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY

954 462 5869 office

954 812 2485 cell

 

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 12:15 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bowthruster spinning

 

 

Hi all,

My sidepower bowthruster has lost the linkage to the props and just spins. According to the manual a probable cause could be rope getting sucked in which causes the "flexible coupling" to break. My question is: is it possible to check this, and even replace it, with the boat in the water?

Thabnks,
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

 

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bowthruster spinning

Dimitris Krasopoulos
 

You have to change the security pin of the propeller you can do it in the sea by a diver

Best Regards

Dimitris Krasopoulos
Mob:+306944302318


2018-03-22 20:33 GMT+02:00 Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

 

This happened on our boat at inspection. It was fixed without a haulout in LE Marin. 

Just FYI

Porter
Ibis 
54-152 
Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Mar 22, 2018, at 12:58 PM, 'Joel Potter' jfpottercys@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Hi Paul. Previously a client and now a friend, Mark on CREAMPUFF might not have noticed that you have an Amel 54 and not a Super Maramu 53. The bow thrusters on these boats are entirely different from one another and I do not believe there is a tool for the 54 that allows one to remove the propeller leg while in the water. My SM 53 had this tool and I made use of it on more than one occasion. My 54 didn’t have a water service tool or mention of this in the manual as far as I can remember. Anyone out there with an Amel 54, please feel free to correct me if I am in error. Wouldn’t be the only time…

 

All The Best, Joel

Joel F. Potter/Cruising Yacht Specialist LLC

THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY

954 462 5869 office

954 812 2485 cell

 

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 12:15 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bowthruster spinning

 

 

Hi all,

My sidepower bowthruster has lost the linkage to the props and just spins.. According to the manual a probable cause could be rope getting sucked in which causes the "flexible coupling" to break. My question is: is it possible to check this, and even replace it, with the boat in the water?

Thabnks,
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Sounds good, great there was virtually no other damage.

Kind Regards

Danny

On 23 March 2018 at 07:20 "Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

 

Hi Danny

No point in claiming from Insurance for just a 3500 euro new bow thruster. Have only a couple bottom paint scratches on under side of cast iron keel, so it's only a new Bowthruster required which is nice to start off with a bran new one again anyway.

If I claimed on insurance for that, it is almost equal to the cost of the excess payable under the policy, and then I lose my 20% no claim bonus. Not worth it. Will rather save the insurance claiming for any real accidents or breakages if they occur down the track.

Best regards

Colin

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 4:11 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

 

Hi Colin,

That.s a good outcome. The adventure continues. Are your insurers being helpful too?

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 23 March 2018 at 00:38 "Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

 

Thank you everyone for helpful comments.

Just to close this post off, we can report that Amel have been extremely helpful to us. They did not have any SM53 bowthruster units in stock, but given our urgency, started manufacturing a new one for us immediately. We will have it in 2 weeks at a cost of 3500 euro excl freight to Maldives.

I must say, after 6 or so years of ownership, Amel continues to impress me with their quality, responsiveness and service! Incredible.

Colin
Amel 53 #332, Maldives now, and soon sailing on across the Sth Indian Ocean


On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 1:12 AM, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Colin,


   With respect to just sealing the hole in a secure fashion with easily available materials.  I would probably remove the rest of the damaged shaft and use two pcs. of 3/4” plywood (1” if you can find it or laminate as needed),  one pc. inside and one outside with a good sized bolt passing through the center of both pcs.  If you have some large  washers it will help spread out the load needed to compress a gasket (neoprene wet suit type rubber should work) or you might be able to use caulking.  I would prefer the gasket since additional compression could be applied by tightening the bolt if needed.  I would put some caulking around the bolt shaft where it passes through the pc. of plywood on the outside of the hull but the wood will swell some and seal this part pretty well if the hole is a snug fit for the bolt.  This will of course leave the hull cutout exposed which will cause some drag but at least you could be sure that there would not be any leakage..  You should be able to install this temporary seal with the boat still in the water and it could be removed without any major cleanup to reinstall the bow thruster.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220


On Mar 19, 2018, at 10:01 AM, Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

Hi Eric

Thank you for your kind advice.

I have since been in touch with both Amel, and Alexandre.'

What a helpful forum this always is!

Best regards

Colin

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 7:52 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@optonline.net [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Colin,

I would somehow get the thruster area out of the water and glass it over.

I would then put some expanding foam in the thruster cavity.

Finally I would silicone and screw some sort of cover at the top of the 

thruster trunk.

 

I had to replace my bow thruster due to a lightning strike which blew the propeller off of the bow thruster assembly.

 

It was probably 8 years ago.

 

I received the thruster from Amel  in 2 pieces the entire thruster assembly and a v shaped piece of fiberglass that had to be trimmed and fiber glassed to the bow thruster assembly which created the hull portion of the bow thruster.

 

Were you able to recover the bow thruster? You might contact Alexandre in Sint Maarten and ask if he can salvage the bow thruster from Nikimat and ship it to you. You will probably have to replace the bearings an gears. Knowing Alexandre, he might even have a new set of bearings..

 

I believe you might have a long wait for a new bow thruster from Amel. That is why I suggest making a semi-permanent closure of the bow thruster area.

 

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] 
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 4:23 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

 

  

Hi sorry to hear of your troubles but as you rightly say it could have been much worse. 

 

I reckon that when pounding to windward there will be considerable pressure put on the seals with no plate there to take the impact. Going to windward in open ocean is not much fun at the best of times but with a niggling worry or a steady stream of water pouring in it could easily get out of hand. So you should do something. I made a similar passage in the 1990’s and Cap D’hombre on the north tip of Madagascar permanently blows at gale force. The southern Indian Ocean is a windy place, the trades tend to crank so even broad reaching the bow area will take a damn good hammering at times.

 

I would consider;

 

fitting a block of rubber/wood into the hole with silicon. The problem with wood is that it will swell and be difficult to extract.

filling the cavity with closed cell expanding foam.

How about, fitting plastic sheet to isolate the hole and then use expanding foam to fill the whole cavity, then cut it to shape and glass over the whole aperture area with epoxy and fibre glass. Then when you next haul out just grind it off  and pick out the foam and fit the new thruster, fill and prime and paint.. You would need to get the bow out of the water to do the work. Perhaps going aground alongside somewhere and letting the tide drop a couple of feet to expose the area. 

 

I am sure that with a bit of lateral thinking you could blank off the aperture such that you would not need to worry about water ingress. Just make sure that you can extract and clean up what ever you do when you are ready to replace the thruster.

 

The above solution would be more watertight than the original!

 

You could also look at doing something on the inside but ………

 

 

 

Nick 

Amelia #54

On 19 Mar 2018, at 06:17, colin.d.streeter@gmail.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

 

 

This morning we accidentally nudged a reef here in Maldives. Fortunately we were only doiing 2.5kts so no hull damage, but in getting off we sheered the bowthruster unit completely off! By this I mean it snapped at the base of the shaft where the shaft gear meets the rotary gear.

 

I dived and we fortunately have absolutely no damage, other than needing a full new Bowthruster unit from the shaft top down - ie just the removable unit. Just some paint scratches at bottom of keel which are no problem.

 

All in all, we were fortunate to be going slowly, and to get off quickly as the tide was dropping, or we would be high and dry right now, with real potential for hull damage as the water dropped and the boat rested on the rocks.

 

I am waiting to get in touch with Maud at Amel when they open today, however have two quick questions for the group in the interim:

 

1) Anyone know what the bowthruster unit costs new and if Amel have them in stock?

 

2) We just have the shaft in the water, no cover plate as that is sheered off.. In current flat water at 3 - 7kts boat speed tested, we have no water coming in through the bowthruster unit at all. Has anyone had experience sailing without the cover plate in big seas? Did you take on water?

 

Having departed from Australia almost a year ago, and enjoyed cruising all of Indonesia and SE Asia with absolute trouble free cruising in this boat, we are now half way across the North Indian Ocean, and next about to cross the Southern Indian Ocean, so have every chance of big wild seas ahead. From here in the Maldives we head to Chagos next mid April till mid May, then head south to Rodriguez (June), Mauritius (July), then Reunion (July/Aug), and back up and around the top of Madagascar (NosyB - Aug/Sept) and down to Cape Town.

 

Our current intentions are to return to Male, the capital of Maldives, to h ave a new bowthruster shipped here from Amel. Depending on how long that may take Amel, and the levels of import duty in the various Indian Ocean countries,  we may need to attempt the balance of Indian Ocean crossing without it, but that worries me a lot.



This is the reason I seek the wisdom of this group, from those of you who know best, and possibly even some who may have even experienced the same issue of cruising on without the bowthruster foot and cover plate in place?

 

Many thanks

 

Colin Streeter

SV Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

svislandpearl.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



-- 
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

 

 

 



--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

 


 

 

 



--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

 


 

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bowthruster spinning

Porter McRoberts
 

This happened on our boat at inspection. It was fixed without a haulout in LE Marin. 
Just FYI

Porter
Ibis 
54-152 
Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Mar 22, 2018, at 12:58 PM, 'Joel Potter' jfpottercys@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Paul. Previously a client and now a friend, Mark on CREAMPUFF might not have noticed that you have an Amel 54 and not a Super Maramu 53. The bow thrusters on these boats are entirely different from one another and I do not believe there is a tool for the 54 that allows one to remove the propeller leg while in the water. My SM 53 had this tool and I made use of it on more than one occasion. My 54 didn’t have a water service tool or mention of this in the manual as far as I can remember. Anyone out there with an Amel 54, please feel free to correct me if I am in error. Wouldn’t be the only time…

 

All The Best, Joel

Joel F. Potter/Cruising Yacht Specialist LLC

THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY

954 462 5869 office

954 812 2485 cell

 

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 12:15 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bowthruster spinning

 

 

Hi all,

My sidepower bowthruster has lost the linkage to the props and just spins. According to the manual a probable cause could be rope getting sucked in which causes the "flexible coupling" to break. My question is: is it possible to check this, and even replace it, with the boat in the water?

Thabnks,
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

 

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Furuno Fax 30 (Weatherfax)...Repair?....Worthwhile?

Dimitris Krasopoulos
 

Many Thanks!!!

Best Regards

Dimitris Krasopoulos
Mob:+306944302318


2018-03-21 17:53 GMT+02:00 sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

 

Dimitris,


Yes, you can just unplug the ethernet chord that connects the FAX-30 to the Hub 101 (unplug it from the Hub), and then plug it into an ethernet port on your computer.  

Before you will connect you have to give your computer an IP address for the Ethernet connection.  See Weber's response above for general instructions on how to do that.

Duane


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

islandpearl2_sm2k332
 

Hi Danny

No point in claiming from Insurance for just a 3500 euro new bow thruster. Have only a couple bottom paint scratches on under side of cast iron keel, so it's only a new Bowthruster required which is nice to start off with a bran new one again anyway.

If I claimed on insurance for that, it is almost equal to the cost of the excess payable under the policy, and then I lose my 20% no claim bonus. Not worth it. Will rather save the insurance claiming for any real accidents or breakages if they occur down the track.

Best regards

Colin

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 4:11 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi Colin,

That.s a good outcome. The adventure continues. Are your insurers being helpful too?

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 23 March 2018 at 00:38 "Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

 

Thank you everyone for helpful comments.

Just to close this post off, we can report that Amel have been extremely helpful to us. They did not have any SM53 bowthruster units in stock, but given our urgency, started manufacturing a new one for us immediately. We will have it in 2 weeks at a cost of 3500 euro excl freight to Maldives.

I must say, after 6 or so years of ownership, Amel continues to impress me with their quality, responsiveness and service! Incredible.

Colin
Amel 53 #332, Maldives now, and soon sailing on across the Sth Indian Ocean


On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 1:12 AM, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Colin,


   With respect to just sealing the hole in a secure fashion with easily available materials.  I would probably remove the rest of the damaged shaft and use two pcs. of 3/4” plywood (1” if you can find it or laminate as needed),  one pc. inside and one outside with a good sized bolt passing through the center of both pcs.  If you have some large  washers it will help spread out the load needed to compress a gasket (neoprene wet suit type rubber should work) or you might be able to use caulking.  I would prefer the gasket since additional compression could be applied by tightening the bolt if needed.  I would put some caulking around the bolt shaft where it passes through the pc. of plywood on the outside of the hull but the wood will swell some and seal this part pretty well if the hole is a snug fit for the bolt.  This will of course leave the hull cutout exposed which will cause some drag but at least you could be sure that there would not be any leakage.  You should be able to install this temporary seal with the boat still in the water and it could be removed without any major cleanup to reinstall the bow thruster.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220


On Mar 19, 2018, at 10:01 AM, Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

Hi Eric

Thank you for your kind advice.

I have since been in touch with both Amel, and Alexandre.'

What a helpful forum this always is!

Best regards

Colin

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 7:52 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@optonline.net [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Colin,

I would somehow get the thruster area out of the water and glass it over.

I would then put some expanding foam in the thruster cavity.

Finally I would silicone and screw some sort of cover at the top of the 

thruster trunk.

 

I had to replace my bow thruster due to a lightning strike which blew the propeller off of the bow thruster assembly.

 

It was probably 8 years ago.

 

I received the thruster from Amel  in 2 pieces the entire thruster assembly and a v shaped piece of fiberglass that had to be trimmed and fiber glassed to the bow thruster assembly which created the hull portion of the bow thruster.

 

Were you able to recover the bow thruster? You might contact Alexandre in Sint Maarten and ask if he can salvage the bow thruster from Nikimat and ship it to you. You will probably have to replace the bearings an gears. Knowing Alexandre, he might even have a new set of bearings..

 

I believe you might have a long wait for a new bow thruster from Amel. That is why I suggest making a semi-permanent closure of the bow thruster area.

 

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] 
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 4:23 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

 

  

Hi sorry to hear of your troubles but as you rightly say it could have been much worse. 

 

I reckon that when pounding to windward there will be considerable pressure put on the seals with no plate there to take the impact. Going to windward in open ocean is not much fun at the best of times but with a niggling worry or a steady stream of water pouring in it could easily get out of hand. So you should do something. I made a similar passage in the 1990’s and Cap D’hombre on the north tip of Madagascar permanently blows at gale force. The southern Indian Ocean is a windy place, the trades tend to crank so even broad reaching the bow area will take a damn good hammering at times.

 

I would consider;

 

fitting a block of rubber/wood into the hole with silicon. The problem with wood is that it will swell and be difficult to extract.

filling the cavity with closed cell expanding foam.

How about, fitting plastic sheet to isolate the hole and then use expanding foam to fill the whole cavity, then cut it to shape and glass over the whole aperture area with epoxy and fibre glass. Then when you next haul out just grind it off  and pick out the foam and fit the new thruster, fill and prime and paint. You would need to get the bow out of the water to do the work. Perhaps going aground alongside somewhere and letting the tide drop a couple of feet to expose the area. 

 

I am sure that with a bit of lateral thinking you could blank off the aperture such that you would not need to worry about water ingress. Just make sure that you can extract and clean up what ever you do when you are ready to replace the thruster.

 

The above solution would be more watertight than the original!

 

You could also look at doing something on the inside but ………

 

 

 

Nick 

Amelia #54

On 19 Mar 2018, at 06:17, colin.d.streeter@gmail.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

 

 

This morning we accidentally nudged a reef here in Maldives. Fortunately we were only doiing 2.5kts so no hull damage, but in getting off we sheered the bowthruster unit completely off! By this I mean it snapped at the base of the shaft where the shaft gear meets the rotary gear.

 

I dived and we fortunately have absolutely no damage, other than needing a full new Bowthruster unit from the shaft top down - ie just the removable unit. Just some paint scratches at bottom of keel which are no problem.

 

All in all, we were fortunate to be going slowly, and to get off quickly as the tide was dropping, or we would be high and dry right now, with real potential for hull damage as the water dropped and the boat rested on the rocks.

 

I am waiting to get in touch with Maud at Amel when they open today, however have two quick questions for the group in the interim:

 

1) Anyone know what the bowthruster unit costs new and if Amel have them in stock?

 

2) We just have the shaft in the water, no cover plate as that is sheered off.. In current flat water at 3 - 7kts boat speed tested, we have no water coming in through the bowthruster unit at all. Has anyone had experience sailing without the cover plate in big seas? Did you take on water?

 

Having departed from Australia almost a year ago, and enjoyed cruising all of Indonesia and SE Asia with absolute trouble free cruising in this boat, we are now half way across the North Indian Ocean, and next about to cross the Southern Indian Ocean, so have every chance of big wild seas ahead. From here in the Maldives we head to Chagos next mid April till mid May, then head south to Rodriguez (June), Mauritius (July), then Reunion (July/Aug), and back up and around the top of Madagascar (NosyB - Aug/Sept) and down to Cape Town.

 

Our current intentions are to return to Male, the capital of Maldives, to h ave a new bowthruster shipped here from Amel. Depending on how long that may take Amel, and the levels of import duty in the various Indian Ocean countries,  we may need to attempt the balance of Indian Ocean crossing without it, but that worries me a lot.



This is the reason I seek the wisdom of this group, from those of you who know best, and possibly even some who may have even experienced the same issue of cruising on without the bowthruster foot and cover plate in place?

 

Many thanks

 

Colin Streeter

SV Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

svislandpearl.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



-- 
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

 

 

 



--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

 


 




--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo

Robert Giroux
 

Uploaded a vector PDF version of the logo. “Amel Vector Logo.pdf” It will scale to any size without pixilation.

 

Regards,

Robert Giroux

Future SM owner!

 

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo

Craig & Katherine Briggs
 

Thanks for the heads-up, Ryan - I will be sure to send the photoshop version to the vinyl decal shop. The jpg let me see what it looked like.
Cheers,
Craig SN68


---In amelyachtowners@..., <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote :

A JPEG will not scale cleanly -- you'll get pixilation and other distortion.  You want to use a vector format, especially since whatever CNC machine the sail shop is likely going to use to cut the design out of fabric probably takes a vector format as input.  A human designer might have to re-design it by hand if you send them a JPEG.  If Photoshop format doesn't work for you, SVG should.  I've been meaning to convert the PSD to SVG and upload it, but I haven't had time.  There is a free program called Inkscape that I believe can do the conversion, if anyone wants to try it.

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 12:54 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Bill Kinney helpfully posted an Amel Vector Logo file in photoshop format.  I don't have photoshop software so coverted it to .jpg format and posted it, too. The original file Bill posted had an underline as the first character so you'll have to scroll way down in the files section to find it, or just search for "logo".

Craig SN68

-----Original Message-----
From: greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com>
Sent: Mon, Mar 19, 2018 1:17 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo
 Pat (or anyone else interested)

If it would help, I have a vector graphic file of the Amel Logo that should be way easier for someone to work with than a photo.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Moraine Cay, Abacos, Bahamas


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Colin,

That.s a good outcome. The adventure continues. Are your insurers being helpful too?

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 23 March 2018 at 00:38 "Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

 

Thank you everyone for helpful comments.

Just to close this post off, we can report that Amel have been extremely helpful to us. They did not have any SM53 bowthruster units in stock, but given our urgency, started manufacturing a new one for us immediately. We will have it in 2 weeks at a cost of 3500 euro excl freight to Maldives.

I must say, after 6 or so years of ownership, Amel continues to impress me with their quality, responsiveness and service! Incredible.

Colin
Amel 53 #332, Maldives now, and soon sailing on across the Sth Indian Ocean


On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 1:12 AM, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Colin,


   With respect to just sealing the hole in a secure fashion with easily available materials.  I would probably remove the rest of the damaged shaft and use two pcs. of 3/4” plywood (1” if you can find it or laminate as needed),  one pc. inside and one outside with a good sized bolt passing through the center of both pcs.  If you have some large  washers it will help spread out the load needed to compress a gasket (neoprene wet suit type rubber should work) or you might be able to use caulking.  I would prefer the gasket since additional compression could be applied by tightening the bolt if needed.  I would put some caulking around the bolt shaft where it passes through the pc. of plywood on the outside of the hull but the wood will swell some and seal this part pretty well if the hole is a snug fit for the bolt.  This will of course leave the hull cutout exposed which will cause some drag but at least you could be sure that there would not be any leakage.  You should be able to install this temporary seal with the boat still in the water and it could be removed without any major cleanup to reinstall the bow thruster.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220


On Mar 19, 2018, at 10:01 AM, Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Eric

Thank you for your kind advice.

I have since been in touch with both Amel, and Alexandre.'

What a helpful forum this always is!

Best regards

Colin

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 7:52 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@optonline.net [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Colin,

I would somehow get the thruster area out of the water and glass it over.

I would then put some expanding foam in the thruster cavity.

Finally I would silicone and screw some sort of cover at the top of the 

thruster trunk.

 

I had to replace my bow thruster due to a lightning strike which blew the propeller off of the bow thruster assembly.

 

It was probably 8 years ago.

 

I received the thruster from Amel  in 2 pieces the entire thruster assembly and a v shaped piece of fiberglass that had to be trimmed and fiber glassed to the bow thruster assembly which created the hull portion of the bow thruster.

 

Were you able to recover the bow thruster? You might contact Alexandre in Sint Maarten and ask if he can salvage the bow thruster from Nikimat and ship it to you. You will probably have to replace the bearings an gears. Knowing Alexandre, he might even have a new set of bearings..

 

I believe you might have a long wait for a new bow thruster from Amel. That is why I suggest making a semi-permanent closure of the bow thruster area.

 

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] 
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 4:23 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Bowthruster unit - cost and in-stock?

 

  

Hi sorry to hear of your troubles but as you rightly say it could have been much worse. 

 

I reckon that when pounding to windward there will be considerable pressure put on the seals with no plate there to take the impact. Going to windward in open ocean is not much fun at the best of times but with a niggling worry or a steady stream of water pouring in it could easily get out of hand. So you should do something. I made a similar passage in the 1990’s and Cap D’hombre on the north tip of Madagascar permanently blows at gale force. The southern Indian Ocean is a windy place, the trades tend to crank so even broad reaching the bow area will take a damn good hammering at times.

 

I would consider;

 

fitting a block of rubber/wood into the hole with silicon. The problem with wood is that it will swell and be difficult to extract.

filling the cavity with closed cell expanding foam.

How about, fitting plastic sheet to isolate the hole and then use expanding foam to fill the whole cavity, then cut it to shape and glass over the whole aperture area with epoxy and fibre glass. Then when you next haul out just grind it off  and pick out the foam and fit the new thruster, fill and prime and paint. You would need to get the bow out of the water to do the work. Perhaps going aground alongside somewhere and letting the tide drop a couple of feet to expose the area. 

 

I am sure that with a bit of lateral thinking you could blank off the aperture such that you would not need to worry about water ingress. Just make sure that you can extract and clean up what ever you do when you are ready to replace the thruster.

 

The above solution would be more watertight than the original!

 

You could also look at doing something on the inside but ………

 

 

 

Nick 

Amelia #54

On 19 Mar 2018, at 06:17, colin.d.streeter@gmail.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

 

 

This morning we accidentally nudged a reef here in Maldives. Fortunately we were only doiing 2.5kts so no hull damage, but in getting off we sheered the bowthruster unit completely off! By this I mean it snapped at the base of the shaft where the shaft gear meets the rotary gear.

 

I dived and we fortunately have absolutely no damage, other than needing a full new Bowthruster unit from the shaft top down - ie just the removable unit. Just some paint scratches at bottom of keel which are no problem.

 

All in all, we were fortunate to be going slowly, and to get off quickly as the tide was dropping, or we would be high and dry right now, with real potential for hull damage as the water dropped and the boat rested on the rocks.

 

I am waiting to get in touch with Maud at Amel when they open today, however have two quick questions for the group in the interim:

 

1) Anyone know what the bowthruster unit costs new and if Amel have them in stock?

 

2) We just have the shaft in the water, no cover plate as that is sheered off.. In current flat water at 3 - 7kts boat speed tested, we have no water coming in through the bowthruster unit at all. Has anyone had experience sailing without the cover plate in big seas? Did you take on water?

 

Having departed from Australia almost a year ago, and enjoyed cruising all of Indonesia and SE Asia with absolute trouble free cruising in this boat, we are now half way across the North Indian Ocean, and next about to cross the Southern Indian Ocean, so have every chance of big wild seas ahead. From here in the Maldives we head to Chagos next mid April till mid May, then head south to Rodriguez (June), Mauritius (July), then Reunion (July/Aug), and back up and around the top of Madagascar (NosyB - Aug/Sept) and down to Cape Town.

 

Our current intentions are to return to Male, the capital of Maldives, to h ave a new bowthruster shipped here from Amel. Depending on how long that may take Amel, and the levels of import duty in the various Indian Ocean countries,  we may need to attempt the balance of Indian Ocean crossing without it, but that worries me a lot.



This is the reason I seek the wisdom of this group, from those of you who know best, and possibly even some who may have even experienced the same issue of cruising on without the bowthruster foot and cover plate in place?

 

Many thanks

 

Colin Streeter

SV Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332

svislandpearl.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



-- 
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

 

 

 



--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

 


 

Re: Main Sail Furler

Craig & Katherine Briggs
 

Thanks Pat for the info and thanks Duane for the great pictures you posted - really helpful ! 

I just tackled mine and have a couple of updates: There's a third Oil Seal that's on the Winch handle gear shaft after you remove the plastic housing. It is 30-40-6.  Also the top oil seal on the pictures is mislabled as 58-46-7.  It is actually the 60-45-7 that Pat notes below (usually labeled Shaft Diameter-Bore Dia-Width, or 45-60-7).

Btw, the seals should be easily sourced from a myriad of manufacturers like SKF, NOK etc., unless you're really in the boonies.

Cheers, Craig SN68


---In amelyachtowners@..., <sailw32@...> wrote :

For some time in heavy air while furling the main , the motor did not seem strong enough. I now believe it may have been that the furler had a bearing that was near seizing . Last fall the main would not roll out , assuming it was the motor , I used a winch handle  and the it would not budge , eventually I broke it free and sailed on. At the end of the season I dismantled the gearbox and found the tapered bearing was completely seized. So if you think your furler is a littlle slow/weak , you may want to have a look inside. Duane posted some pics that were helpful . It took me longer to find the seals than the bearings, so I thought I would post the bearing and seal info and sources.

Bearings: Source , Motion Industries - Tapered bearing item # 32009xm-90kmi   , Bore 45mm, OD. 75mm, Width 20mm , Manufacturer Timken

Ball Bearing , item # 9105k Bore 25mm, OD. 47mm, Width 12mm  Manufacturer Fafnir 

Oil Seals : Source , Metric Seals Inc. 45mmX60mmX7mm    25mmX33mm X6mm  

You will need one each of bearings and seals

Pat

SM Shenanigans

New file uploaded to amelyachtowners

amelyachtowners@...
 

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that
a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the amelyachtowners
group.

File : /Amel Vector Logo.pdf
Uploaded by : favoriteaxe <robert.giroux@...>
Description : Amel Vector Logo.pdf (this is a vector mode PDF, not rasterized bitmap and will scale to any size without pixelation)

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/files/Amel%20Vector%20Logo.pdf

To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_GRPS&locale=en_US&id=SLN15398

Regards,

favoriteaxe <robert.giroux@...>

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo

Ryan Meador
 

A JPEG will not scale cleanly -- you'll get pixilation and other distortion.  You want to use a vector format, especially since whatever CNC machine the sail shop is likely going to use to cut the design out of fabric probably takes a vector format as input.  A human designer might have to re-design it by hand if you send them a JPEG.  If Photoshop format doesn't work for you, SVG should.  I've been meaning to convert the PSD to SVG and upload it, but I haven't had time.  There is a free program called Inkscape that I believe can do the conversion, if anyone wants to try it.

Thanks,
Ryan
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA


On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 12:54 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Bill Kinney helpfully posted an Amel Vector Logo file in photoshop format.  I don't have photoshop software so coverted it to .jpg format and posted it, too. The original file Bill posted had an underline as the first character so you'll have to scroll way down in the files section to find it, or just search for "logo".

Craig SN68

-----Original Message-----
From: greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Mon, Mar 19, 2018 1:17 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo
 Pat (or anyone else interested)

If it would help, I have a vector graphic file of the Amel Logo that should be way easier for someone to work with than a photo.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Moraine Cay, Abacos, Bahamas


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bowthruster spinning

ya_fohi
 

Joel,

Thanks.On further investigation I may have answered my own question. It looks like the flexible coupling is accessable from inside the boat. I'd still be interested in any advice in how best to go about changing it.

Cheers,
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bowthruster spinning

amelforme
 

Hi Paul. Previously a client and now a friend, Mark on CREAMPUFF might not have noticed that you have an Amel 54 and not a Super Maramu 53. The bow thrusters on these boats are entirely different from one another and I do not believe there is a tool for the 54 that allows one to remove the propeller leg while in the water. My SM 53 had this tool and I made use of it on more than one occasion. My 54 didn’t have a water service tool or mention of this in the manual as far as I can remember. Anyone out there with an Amel 54, please feel free to correct me if I am in error. Wouldn’t be the only time…

 

All The Best, Joel

Joel F. Potter/Cruising Yacht Specialist LLC

THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY

954 462 5869 office

954 812 2485 cell

 

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 12:15 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bowthruster spinning

 

 

Hi all,

My sidepower bowthruster has lost the linkage to the props and just spins. According to the manual a probable cause could be rope getting sucked in which causes the "flexible coupling" to break. My question is: is it possible to check this, and even replace it, with the boat in the water?

Thabnks,
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

 

Re: Amel logo

Craig & Katherine Briggs
 

Bill Kinney helpfully posted an Amel Vector Logo file in photoshop format.  I don't have photoshop software so coverted it to .jpg format and posted it, too. The original file Bill posted had an underline as the first character so you'll have to scroll way down in the files section to find it, or just search for "logo".
Craig SN68

-----Original Message-----
From: greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Mon, Mar 19, 2018 1:17 pm
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel logo
 Pat (or anyone else interested)

If it would help, I have a vector graphic file of the Amel Logo that should be way easier for someone to work with than a photo.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Moraine Cay, Abacos, Bahamas