Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Main sheet boom slider broken

John Clark
 

I guess we are "lucky" to have an older SM which came with a manual mainsheet winch, so we have not had the issue of the mainsheet attachment blocks cracking.  That said even with the manual winch I have had to stop crew members from over tightening the mainsheet.  What alerts me is the sound of the winch sheet and blocks when the sheet is too tight.  If we had the electric winch things would be happening much faster and probably we would have broken the blocks too.  

We do have the electric genoa winches and they make me nervous.  One caviler crewmen holding the button and not seeing a fouled line could cause a lot of damage quickly.  In the 16 months I have had Annie I have adapted  to almost never use the electric power feature on those winches.  I instruct crew to only use the button if they really need to, maybe when doing a single handed tack, or some such maneuver.  Manually adjusting sails also teaches them to watch the sails more closely and get a better feel for the sail tuning. 

                            Regards,  John

SV Annie SM 37
Druif Bay USVI 



On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

That would do it, Alan ;-)>

I like Steve’s solution with strict instructions to crew.


Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

On May 10, 2018, at 2:12 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

The biggest problem is the main sheet attachment. We've broken two of them becsause of over enthusiatic crew on the mainsheet button

My solution : 
1. make an aluminium piece of the same thickness but a bit longer and WELD it to the boom.
2. trip the cct breaker for the main sheet winch so it MUST be wound in manually.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437....just arrived Savusavu, Fiji.....



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Introduction - Future SM Owner, Enthusiastic Lurker!

John Clark
 

Congratulations and welcome to the group.  Hope to see you out and about someday.
                      Regards,  John

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37
Druif Bay USVI

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 11:29 AM, rg@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hello All,

First, thanks for being such a great bunch! I love reading this group's messages and have been meaning to introduce myself for while. I've learned so much about Amel boats and have become further convinced that the SM will be the boat for me and my wife Cindy when we finally pull the trigger on the circumnavigator lifestyle! I've never owned a boat myself yet, just grew up sailing with friends on their boats, and later bareboat chartered a half dozen times, mostly in the BVI's. I would love to meet owners in the area should they want help fixing stuff (I'm pretty handy with tools, computers and cameras) or just need extra crew on the Bay.


Robert Giroux

Future SM Owner

Alexandria, VA



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Cancelling my membership from this forum

John Clark
 

I guess I need to read the whole thread before replying.  Sorry I didn't realize there was a tiff underway, just trying to be helpful.  
                                     Regards,  John


On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 11:13 AM, lji0041@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hi mates,


I am sorry if I cannot follow the details on this. I just made an exercise to look in the database.

What I could see is that you guys have helped each other and the rest of mates through all these years.

It is a pity that we cannot see each other sharing some beers in the canteen, as if we were on the same port. Probably it would be different.

Definitely, the email and sequels were invented by the devil, so we have to be careful in how we use it, because we cannot see our faces and lose a lot of the communication.

Forums like this, where the goal is to help each other, cannot afford losing valued members. I wish you could pick up the phone and see what is really going on.

Wish I could be with you guys in the middle of a real storm. I know I would be safe.

Jose



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Cancelling my membership from this forum

John Clark
 

Hi Jose,
   I agree with you that the forum database is sometimes cumbersome to navigate.  We should realize that it was created many years ago, thus it's interface is dated.  It also operates for free so ....you get what you pay for.    

Try the Facebook Amel group.  It is populated by very much the same individuals and is easier to navigate, and exchange photos.     Here is the link to the correct group.


John Clark
SV Annie  SM 37
Druif Bay USVI  

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 11:13 AM, lji0041@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi mates,


I am sorry if I cannot follow the details on this. I just made an exercise to look in the database.

What I could see is that you guys have helped each other and the rest of mates through all these years.

It is a pity that we cannot see each other sharing some beers in the canteen, as if we were on the same port. Probably it would be different.

Definitely, the email and sequels were invented by the devil, so we have to be careful in how we use it, because we cannot see our faces and lose a lot of the communication.

Forums like this, where the goal is to help each other, cannot afford losing valued members. I wish you could pick up the phone and see what is really going on.

Wish I could be with you guys in the middle of a real storm. I know I would be safe.

Jose



Re: Introduction - Future SM Owner, Enthusiastic Lurker!

Robert Giroux
 

Thanks Bill! I appreciate the deep knowledge and wisdom you generously share here!


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Introduction - Future SM Owner, Enthusiastic Lurker!

 

​Robert & Cindy,

You have already made progress on your circumnavigation because you have made a decision on one of the best boats to securely and comfortably cruise the world. Welcome to the Group.​

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970





On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 10:29 AM, rg@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Hello All,

First, thanks for being such a great bunch! I love reading this group's messages and have been meaning to introduce myself for while. I've learned so much about Amel boats and have become further convinced that the SM will be the boat for me and my wife Cindy when we finally pull the trigger on the circumnavigator lifestyle! I've never owned a boat myself yet, just grew up sailing with friends on their boats, and later bareboat chartered a half dozen times, mostly in the BVI's. I would love to meet owners in the area should they want help fixing stuff (I'm pretty handy with tools, computers and cameras) or just need extra crew on the Bay.


Robert Giroux

Future SM Owner

Alexandria, VA



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SM Prop Shaft Seal direction and Bush*** IMPORTANT RESPONSE***

Mohammad Shirloo
 

A bit late in the game but here’s my two cents worth.

 

One of the main issues that steered us towards an Amel was a proven design that has been field tested for decades, for the same type of sailing that we would want to do,. Off course as technology progresses new designs and better ideas develop. In the past few years that we have owned our 54, we have run into many people who have suggested better ways of doing things. However, for us, if it has not been proven in actual real life conditions over a long period of time, it is, for the most part, a theoretical improvement of the existing design.

 

The last thing we want to have on our mind when in a blow or severe conditions, is whether our “new and improved” design will work. We are extremely pleased with our decision and she has never let us down. I would whole heartedly second Bill’s advocacy of keeping with the original Amel design.

 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

 


From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018 3:21 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SM Prop Shaft Seal direction and Bush*** IMPORTANT RESPONSE***

 

 

Bill contributes enormous value to this forum from a huge base of invaluable probably unparalleled knowledge.

 

Thank you for all your help over the years of my Amel ownership.

 

Very sadly Carango Amel 54 #035 is now for sale.

 

Peter

Peter Forbes

00447836 209730


On 11 May 2018, at 01:17, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Porter,

 

   Well put..  Bill Rouse IMO deserves a lot more respect than he seems to be receiving from some.  He has been there to help just about anyone that needed it on countless occasions including myself.  

 

   And while I am only coming into my third year as an Amel owner, I also feel that what is being called the “Amel-way” also deserves considerable respect which is backed by an amazing about of sailing miles and history.   

 

Best to all Amel owners,

 

James

SV Sueño

Maramu #220

 

On May 10, 2018, at 6:48 PM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

I am with Alex, Danny et al. 

The time, consideration,  free and concomitantly priceless advice Bill Rouse has selflessly contributed to the forum is immeasurable. And this goes for many others too. 
We can’t get offended by some vigorous debate.   That’s one of the facets of the forum which makes it great!  

 

I rarely see right for right’s sake here. I am consistently impressed with the selfless and time consuming responses to help others who we may never meet!  

 

The contributions by Bill and other are so invaluable.  

 

Please keep it up!!!

 

Porter

Ibis. 54-152 Bonaire

 

 

Excuse the errors.  

Sent from my IPhone 


On May 10, 2018, at 4:05 PM, Alex Ramseyer alexramseyer@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

 

Rink,

I don't agree.

Alex

SY NO STRESS
AMEL54

 

On Thursday, May 10, 2018, 3:53:51 PM GMT-4, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

 

 

 

Hi Rink, I cant agree with you on this. Nor do I think an insulting crack at Texans is appropriate. Bill is always consistent. Polite, firm and unwavering. It does us no harm to have such a strong Amel advocate. Anyone who wishes can ignore him. As well as being sound advice, retaining the "fleet" as near to original is doing us all a big favor as it maintains the value of our unique vessels. Because of the work he does Bill has seen instances of modified Amels that have turned out less than satisfactory. I know of one new owner who has spent a small fortune replacing failing/failed modifications to restore the boat to Amel standard. As to the arches, personally I think they are ugly

Bill, please keep up the good work

I will add two comments. Possibly  hours in estruries or harbours like the Chesapeake and Delaware water with suspended silt will cause more rapid wear,Secondly..oil floats on water and I cannot see how oil could run or drip out the bottom. My observation is that when the seals begin to fail the oil level rises as well as becoming milky as the volume is increased by the addition of water.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl



On 11 May 2018 at 06:15 "Rink de Haan rinkdehaan@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote: 

 

 

Dear all. I think it is time for some action from our moderator. The way Bill responds to a viable discussion doesn’t add value to this forum. There us no such thing as the absolute Amel way. Like for instance building an Emek arch on a 53. Which for Sure is the absolute wrong Amel way. The way you react Bill limits the interest of other Amel to interact, which is against the purpose of this group.. Texan anti intellectual rudeness is not the standard of this forum

Hope for better times

Rink de Haan

Amel 2k #330 Razors Edge

 

 

 

 


 


 

 

 

 


Introduction - Future SM Owner, Enthusiastic Lurker!

Robert Giroux
 

Hello All,

First, thanks for being such a great bunch! I love reading this group's messages and have been meaning to introduce myself for while. I've learned so much about Amel boats and have become further convinced that the SM will be the boat for me and my wife Cindy when we finally pull the trigger on the circumnavigator lifestyle! I've never owned a boat myself yet, just grew up sailing with friends on their boats, and later bareboat chartered a half dozen times, mostly in the BVI's. I would love to meet owners in the area should they want help fixing stuff (I'm pretty handy with tools, computers and cameras) or just need extra crew on the Bay.


Robert Giroux

Future SM Owner

Alexandria, VA


Re: Cancelling my membership from this forum

Jose_Luis Isasi
 

Hi mates,

I am sorry if I cannot follow the details on this. I just made an exercise to look in the database.

What I could see is that you guys have helped each other and the rest of mates through all these years.

It is a pity that we cannot see each other sharing some beers in the canteen, as if we were on the same port. Probably it would be different.

Definitely, the email and sequels were invented by the devil, so we have to be careful in how we use it, because we cannot see our faces and lose a lot of the communication.

Forums like this, where the goal is to help each other, cannot afford losing valued members. I wish you could pick up the phone and see what is really going on.

Wish I could be with you guys in the middle of a real storm. I know I would be safe.

Jose


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Chesapeake Rendezvous

VLADIMIR SONSEV
 

Second huf of July to early September is GOOD for us. We should establish the date soon that we can plan.
Vladimir
SN 345 "Life is Good"

On Fri, May 11, 2018, 07:52 sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

So far nine boats have expressed interest in attending the rendezvous , however no one has included a time period , that would not work for them. Joel suggested that someone needed to establish a date, so plans could be made. That made sense , we filled that role at the first rendezvous four years ago , so I thought we would do that again. To determine a date , we need to know , when would be good for you. So could everyone interested, email me back and tell me what time period this summer would not be good for them. We will then try  to pick a time good for most. Please email us direct at sailw32@... , so that we do not clog up this site with posts that others have no interest in. In order to have time for planning , I would guess we would be planning on some time between late July to early Sept. There was eight boats and about 30 people at the first rendezvous , more than expected , so maybe we will surpass that number this time. BTW , if you hang around after dinner , Joel buys rounds. That is sure to attract sailors . We will post updates to the Amel site from time to time.

Thanks,

Pat & Diane

SM Shenanigans


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: New member question

Paul Martin
 

Thank you Paul I appreciate the feedback.  The Super Maramu is a wonderful boat.
I am sure you will be very happy.  The right one will come along I am sure.
Best,
Paul

On May 11, 2018, at 12:50 AM, paul.cooper74@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Paul,


We did look at the two SNs for sale in Martinique.  The one with the Mitzubishi engine has been on a mooring, untouched, for a year and a half and is essentially a complete fixer-upper.  If one wanted to undertake that the price would be negotiable to rock bottom I imagine.  Definitely not something we would touch.  

The other one was as described:  clean, well-equipped and maintained with lots of upgrades, (perhaps too many).

In the end we decided we wanted more room aboard, and more speed,  so we have been shopping for a Super Maramu and still haven't found the right one.

Good luck.

Paul C.



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Chesapeake Rendezvous

Patrick McAneny
 

Joel, All the Amels you've sold ,you can afford a round of drinks. You started the tradition,an Irishman doesn't forget who buys him a drink. 
Thanks in Advance,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Potter jfpottercys@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Fri, May 11, 2018 9:42 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Chesapeake Rendezvous

 
Thanks Pat. I know where you live....

JOEL F. POTTER
CRUISING YACHT SPECIALIST LLC
THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY
Office 954-462-5869 

On May 11, 2018, at 7:52 AM, sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 
So far nine boats have expressed interest in attending the rendezvous , however no one has included a time period , that would not work for them. Joel suggested that someone needed to establish a date, so plans could be made. That made sense , we filled that role at the first rendezvous four years ago , so I thought we would do that again. To determine a date , we need to know , when would be good for you. So could everyone interested, email me back and tell me what time period this summer would not be good for them. We will then try  to pick a time good for most. Please email us direct at sailw32@... , so that we do not clog up this site with posts that others have no interest in. In order to have time for planning , I would guess we would be planning on some time between late July to early Sept. There was eight boats and about 30 people at the first rendezvous , more than expected , so maybe we will surpass that number this time. BTW , if you hang around after dinner , Joel buys rounds. That is sure to attract sailors . We will post updates to the Amel site from time to time.
Thanks,
Pat & Diane
SM Shenanigans


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Chesapeake Rendezvous

Patrick McAneny
 

Craig, sailw32@... , sorry if I failed to put the aol. Pat


-----Original Message-----
From: sangaris@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Fri, May 11, 2018 8:59 am
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Chesapeake Rendezvous

 
Hey Pat and Diane,
Many thanks for coordinating. What's your full email address; sailw32@ ???
Cheers,
Craig SN68


---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

So far nine boats have expressed interest in attending the rendezvous , however no one has included a time period , that would not work for them. Joel suggested that someone needed to establish a date, so plans could be made. That made sense , we filled that role at the first rendezvous four years ago , so I thought we would do that again. To determine a date , we need to know , when would be good for you. So could everyone interested, email me back and tell me what time period this summer would not be good for them. We will then try  to pick a time good for most. Please email us direct at sailw32@... , so that we do not clog up this site with posts that others have no int erest in. In order to have time for planning , I would guess we would be planning on some time between late July to early Sept. There was eight boats and about 30 people at the first rendezvous , more than expected , so maybe we will surpass that number this time. BTW , if you hang around after dinner , Joel buys rounds. That is sure to attract sailors . We will post updates to the Amel site from time to time.
Thanks,
Pat & Diane
SM Shenanigans


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Cancelling my membership from this forum

karkauai
 

Hate to see you go Rink.  Just asking that you tone down the rhetoric.
All the best.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

On May 11, 2018, at 8:52 AM, bernard lawson bernardlawson665@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

God Speed and Fair Winds 

On Fri, May 11, 2018, 08:49 Rink de Haan rinkdehaan@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Dear all,

I am cancelling my membership from this forum.
After a private discussion with Bill and his obvious immense support I have to conclude we don't share the same values.

Thanks for all good advice and interaction in the past 10 years.

Best regards,

Rink
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Date: 2018-05-11 13:53 GMT+02:00
Subject: From Bill ROUSE
To: Rink de Haan <rinkdehaan@...>
Cc: lji004@gmail..com


Rink,

I incorrectly CC'D Jose at his old email address. His current email address is lji004@...

I am not going to get into a finger pointing situation with you. I mentioned Judy to Jose because he knows Judy. And, even if he didn't know Judy, the fact that she was in recovery has as much to do with it as you stating that I am a Texan.

You have been rude, childish, and offensive to not only me, but others in the Group. You are disruptive and contribute very little good information.

I have always stated that I am the self-appointed Amel Advocate in the Amel Owners Group. I know that I have saved others tens of thousands of Euros by preaching the mantra to "not change anything for a year." I have also advocated keeping your Amel pure and unadulterated. I call this the Amel Way. I am not going to respond to your Solar Arch accusations, or anything else.

I have blocked your email address and will no longer see your emails because I do not want to see them. I suggest that you do the same because you obviously have a problem with me.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, May 11, 2018, 03:36 Rink de Haan <rinkdehaan@...> wrote:
Dear Bill and Jose Luis,

I appreciatie the opportunity to discuss Amel Owner Group communication policy together with Jose Luis.

In my 10 years as an owner and member of this group I have never insulted, nor reacted negatively towards Bill.
I have checked all my postings on the slightest possibility of this. I have found only positive reactions. So I would like to ask Bill to provide the examples. 
Bill is confusing me with someone else or he is just dishonest and trying to influence the discussion with Jose Luis. 
I am also really sorry for Bill and his wife of her being in hospital though I don't understand where it is related to our discussion. So let's please stick to the factual part of the discussion.

I apologize for binging the Texan aspect in if it hurts Bill's feelings. I was referring to a posting of Bill dated  April 19, 2015 were he stated that he is much aware of the Texan element when he stated "I hope that I do not come across too arrogant, but I am a Texan and it is in my DNA...some things cannot be helped. ;)". I am in the opinion that Bill crossed the line of decency in the discussion with Jose. He did not responded to the real message of Jose, but merely turned it into a rant for The Amel Way (of which every member of this group is aware). 
No opinion should be used in a way that it creates frustrated members and block any discussion outside of The Amel Way.
The example of the arch is just to question if The Captain would have advised to do this (as The Amel Way). 

I would like to ask Jose Luis to have a close look at the conversation Bill had with Jose and determine if this is in line with the way of the forum where exchanging views and thoughts are to be treated with respect and not to be killed by having ownership of the absolute truth. No one has!

If Jose Luis decides I crossed the line, I will apologize to Bill and the group.

Leaves me to state that I absolutely value Bill's contributions though the way he puts them sometimes is hard to swallow. 

Looking forward for your replies,

Rink




2018-05-10 23:50 GMT+02:00 Bill Rouse <brouse@...>:
Rink,

I have never said a single insulting or rude word to you.

You have personally insulted me on the Amel Owners Group 3 times in about 5 years.

You asked for the Group Moderator to talk to me because I support the Amel Way and because I am a Texan. I am very proud to say you are correct.

I copied the Group Owner so that he is aware of what you want and so you can email him directly.

BTW, I received your last public insult to me on the Amel Owners Group today when I was consoling my wife at the hospital...she was recovering from surgery. 

There is one more sentence in this email which is from my heart, but not visible to you because we are not face-to-face. When a Texan has stern words for someone, it is always face-to-face.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Chesapeake Rendezvous

amelforme
 

Thanks Pat. I know where you live....

JOEL F. POTTER
CRUISING YACHT SPECIALIST LLC
THE EXPERIENCED AMEL GUY
Office 954-462-5869 

On May 11, 2018, at 7:52 AM, sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

So far nine boats have expressed interest in attending the rendezvous , however no one has included a time period , that would not work for them. Joel suggested that someone needed to establish a date, so plans could be made. That made sense , we filled that role at the first rendezvous four years ago , so I thought we would do that again. To determine a date , we need to know , when would be good for you. So could everyone interested, email me back and tell me what time period this summer would not be good for them. We will then try  to pick a time good for most. Please email us direct at sailw32@... , so that we do not clog up this site with posts that others have no interest in. In order to have time for planning , I would guess we would be planning on some time between late July to early Sept. There was eight boats and about 30 people at the first rendezvous , more than expected , so maybe we will surpass that number this time. BTW , if you hang around after dinner , Joel buys rounds. That is sure to attract sailors . We will post updates to the Amel site from time to time.

Thanks,

Pat & Diane

SM Shenanigans


Re: Chesapeake Rendezvous

Craig Briggs
 

Hey Pat and Diane,
Many thanks for coordinating. What's your full email address; sailw32@ ???
Cheers,
Craig SN68


---In amelyachtowners@..., <sailw32@...> wrote :

So far nine boats have expressed interest in attending the rendezvous , however no one has included a time period , that would not work for them. Joel suggested that someone needed to establish a date, so plans could be made. That made sense , we filled that role at the first rendezvous four years ago , so I thought we would do that again. To determine a date , we need to know , when would be good for you. So could everyone interested, email me back and tell me what time period this summer would not be good for them. We will then try  to pick a time good for most. Please email us direct at sailw32@... , so that we do not clog up this site with posts that others have no interest in. In order to have time for planning , I would guess we would be planning on some time between late July to early Sept. There was eight boats and about 30 people at the first rendezvous , more than expected , so maybe we will surpass that number this time. BTW , if you hang around after dinner , Joel buys rounds. That is sure to attract sailors . We will post updates to the Amel site from time to time.

Thanks,

Pat & Diane

SM Shenanigans


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Cancelling my membership from this forum

bernard lawson
 

God Speed and Fair Winds 


On Fri, May 11, 2018, 08:49 Rink de Haan rinkdehaan@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Dear all,

I am cancelling my membership from this forum.
After a private discussion with Bill and his obvious immense support I have to conclude we don't share the same values.

Thanks for all good advice and interaction in the past 10 years.

Best regards,

Rink
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Date: 2018-05-11 13:53 GMT+02:00
Subject: From Bill ROUSE
To: Rink de Haan <rinkdehaan@...>
Cc: lji004@gmail..com


Rink,

I incorrectly CC'D Jose at his old email address. His current email address is lji004@...

I am not going to get into a finger pointing situation with you. I mentioned Judy to Jose because he knows Judy. And, even if he didn't know Judy, the fact that she was in recovery has as much to do with it as you stating that I am a Texan.

You have been rude, childish, and offensive to not only me, but others in the Group. You are disruptive and contribute very little good information.

I have always stated that I am the self-appointed Amel Advocate in the Amel Owners Group. I know that I have saved others tens of thousands of Euros by preaching the mantra to "not change anything for a year." I have also advocated keeping your Amel pure and unadulterated. I call this the Amel Way. I am not going to respond to your Solar Arch accusations, or anything else.

I have blocked your email address and will no longer see your emails because I do not want to see them. I suggest that you do the same because you obviously have a problem with me.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, May 11, 2018, 03:36 Rink de Haan <rinkdehaan@...> wrote:
Dear Bill and Jose Luis,

I appreciatie the opportunity to discuss Amel Owner Group communication policy together with Jose Luis.

In my 10 years as an owner and member of this group I have never insulted, nor reacted negatively towards Bill.
I have checked all my postings on the slightest possibility of this. I have found only positive reactions. So I would like to ask Bill to provide the examples. 
Bill is confusing me with someone else or he is just dishonest and trying to influence the discussion with Jose Luis. 
I am also really sorry for Bill and his wife of her being in hospital though I don't understand where it is related to our discussion. So let's please stick to the factual part of the discussion.

I apologize for binging the Texan aspect in if it hurts Bill's feelings. I was referring to a posting of Bill dated  April 19, 2015 were he stated that he is much aware of the Texan element when he stated "I hope that I do not come across too arrogant, but I am a Texan and it is in my DNA...some things cannot be helped. ;)". I am in the opinion that Bill crossed the line of decency in the discussion with Jose. He did not responded to the real message of Jose, but merely turned it into a rant for The Amel Way (of which every member of this group is aware). 
No opinion should be used in a way that it creates frustrated members and block any discussion outside of The Amel Way.
The example of the arch is just to question if The Captain would have advised to do this (as The Amel Way). 

I would like to ask Jose Luis to have a close look at the conversation Bill had with Jose and determine if this is in line with the way of the forum where exchanging views and thoughts are to be treated with respect and not to be killed by having ownership of the absolute truth. No one has!

If Jose Luis decides I crossed the line, I will apologize to Bill and the group.

Leaves me to state that I absolutely value Bill's contributions though the way he puts them sometimes is hard to swallow. 

Looking forward for your replies,

Rink




2018-05-10 23:50 GMT+02:00 Bill Rouse <brouse@...>:
Rink,

I have never said a single insulting or rude word to you.

You have personally insulted me on the Amel Owners Group 3 times in about 5 years.

You asked for the Group Moderator to talk to me because I support the Amel Way and because I am a Texan. I am very proud to say you are correct.

I copied the Group Owner so that he is aware of what you want and so you can email him directly.

BTW, I received your last public insult to me on the Amel Owners Group today when I was consoling my wife at the hospital...she was recovering from surgery. 

There is one more sentence in this email which is from my heart, but not visible to you because we are not face-to-face. When a Texan has stern words for someone, it is always face-to-face.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970



Cancelling my membership from this forum

Rink De Haan
 

Dear all,

I am cancelling my membership from this forum.
After a private discussion with Bill and his obvious immense support I have to conclude we don't share the same values.

Thanks for all good advice and interaction in the past 10 years.

Best regards,

Rink
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Date: 2018-05-11 13:53 GMT+02:00
Subject: From Bill ROUSE
To: Rink de Haan <rinkdehaan@...>
Cc: lji004@...


Rink,

I incorrectly CC'D Jose at his old email address. His current email address is lji004@...

I am not going to get into a finger pointing situation with you. I mentioned Judy to Jose because he knows Judy. And, even if he didn't know Judy, the fact that she was in recovery has as much to do with it as you stating that I am a Texan.

You have been rude, childish, and offensive to not only me, but others in the Group. You are disruptive and contribute very little good information.

I have always stated that I am the self-appointed Amel Advocate in the Amel Owners Group. I know that I have saved others tens of thousands of Euros by preaching the mantra to "not change anything for a year." I have also advocated keeping your Amel pure and unadulterated. I call this the Amel Way. I am not going to respond to your Solar Arch accusations, or anything else.

I have blocked your email address and will no longer see your emails because I do not want to see them. I suggest that you do the same because you obviously have a problem with me.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, May 11, 2018, 03:36 Rink de Haan <rinkdehaan@...> wrote:
Dear Bill and Jose Luis,

I appreciatie the opportunity to discuss Amel Owner Group communication policy together with Jose Luis.

In my 10 years as an owner and member of this group I have never insulted, nor reacted negatively towards Bill.
I have checked all my postings on the slightest possibility of this. I have found only positive reactions. So I would like to ask Bill to provide the examples. 
Bill is confusing me with someone else or he is just dishonest and trying to influence the discussion with Jose Luis. 
I am also really sorry for Bill and his wife of her being in hospital though I don't understand where it is related to our discussion. So let's please stick to the factual part of the discussion.

I apologize for binging the Texan aspect in if it hurts Bill's feelings. I was referring to a posting of Bill dated  April 19, 2015 were he stated that he is much aware of the Texan element when he stated "I hope that I do not come across too arrogant, but I am a Texan and it is in my DNA...some things cannot be helped. ;)". I am in the opinion that Bill crossed the line of decency in the discussion with Jose. He did not responded to the real message of Jose, but merely turned it into a rant for The Amel Way (of which every member of this group is aware). 
No opinion should be used in a way that it creates frustrated members and block any discussion outside of The Amel Way.
The example of the arch is just to question if The Captain would have advised to do this (as The Amel Way). 

I would like to ask Jose Luis to have a close look at the conversation Bill had with Jose and determine if this is in line with the way of the forum where exchanging views and thoughts are to be treated with respect and not to be killed by having ownership of the absolute truth. No one has!

If Jose Luis decides I crossed the line, I will apologize to Bill and the group.

Leaves me to state that I absolutely value Bill's contributions though the way he puts them sometimes is hard to swallow. 

Looking forward for your replies,

Rink




2018-05-10 23:50 GMT+02:00 Bill Rouse <brouse@...>:
Rink,

I have never said a single insulting or rude word to you.

You have personally insulted me on the Amel Owners Group 3 times in about 5 years.

You asked for the Group Moderator to talk to me because I support the Amel Way and because I am a Texan. I am very proud to say you are correct.

I copied the Group Owner so that he is aware of what you want and so you can email him directly.

BTW, I received your last public insult to me on the Amel Owners Group today when I was consoling my wife at the hospital...she was recovering from surgery. 

There is one more sentence in this email which is from my heart, but not visible to you because we are not face-to-face. When a Texan has stern words for someone, it is always face-to-face.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970



Re: Experiemental Chromed WOB Provided by Amel

Craig Briggs
 

Bob and Suzanne,
Many thanks for updating us on the WOB. It sounds like Amel recognizes the problem and is working to fix it. Good to hear that Bill Rouse is also encouraging Amel to improve the original design and that the "Amel Way" can evolve when shortcomings are found. A little disappointing, though, that Amel hasn't moved more quickly and is still supplying the original WOB's that are clearly not hard enough.
Cheers,
Craig Briggs, SN68 Sangaris


---In amelyachtowners@..., <rossidesigngroup@...> wrote :

Hi Everyone,
Given recent postings on the WOB and my experience about a month ago I think it is a good time to post regarding an experiemental WOB that I had received from Amel.  I had received it in March, 2014 and thought, mistakenly that this was simply the new design that AMEL provided.  Instead, I learned later that these were trial versions that Amel had somehow provided to me.  Not sure if anyone else got them.  So here are the pics I posted back in September,  2014 -- https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1tompsdjss3rr0r/AACGUoVzzawY5RnlyKpnjwRga
.
In a phone conversation with Maud she confirmed that Amel was trying these out.  About 2 years ago I had installed this new type WOB in Turkey and changed it here in Malta and examined it carefully (note we visited Croatia and Venice on the way back, so the miles are there).  Please also note that I am making no claims about whether Amel should convert to these but I will tell you what I reported to Amel--which is that I was replacing the O ring inside and re-using the WOB!  Below is the content of my email to Maud and her response back to me.  I thought it was important to provide the information to Amel and give them time before placing it in front of the group.  Please also note that Adm Bill was privy to the info and he has contacted Amel to suggest they consider switching to the new WOB.

OK...the email to Maud on April 4 and her response on April 5.

"Hi Maud,

About 3.5 years ago you sent me an "experimental" WOB that Amel was trying out.  It is a normal bronze WOB with a stainless surface where the lip seals mount.  I was confused about it but in a later telephone conversation you talked with someone at Amel and then explained to me that Amel was trying out the new special WOB.  I promised to mount it and report back to you.

I serviced the Amel drive on my Super Maramu KAIMI #429 about 2 years ago and installed the special WOB.  Last week I serviced it again. There was virtually no wear on the WOB.  There was no evidence of water in the drive oil (90 wt) and the springs inside the seals were not rusted (I pack them with grease).

It is my impression that the WOB did very well.  While I could see some "polishing" could not detect any ridge or groove with my fingernail and I replaced the O ring inside the WOB and am re-using the WOB.   I plan to report back again on the next service in a year or 2.

I have included a link to photos of the removed WOB.  For comparison I show a regular used WOB.  You are welcome to forward this email to any others at Amel and I will be happy to answer any other questions that you have.

Click on individual images for larger photo --
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cW2QtzN7OeKaupoP2

Robert Rossi  SM#429 KAIMI"

Response back from Maud-- 
"Dear Robert,
Thank you for your nice message and detailed report. I will forward the results of your test to the AMEL technical department and I am certain they will be glad to hear it is very positive.
Thank you again for being such a supportive customer!!
Have a nice day.
With my kindest regards,

Maud TOUILLET
Service clientèle/Customer service"

Highlights--I could detect NO wear other than a bit of polishing where normally you would see a groove...note the used bronze version as a comparison.  There was no evidence of water in the 90 wt oil which I actually ran back through my Mr.Funnel to see if there was water--none-- and now have re-stored for possible future use.  Note also that there was no noticeable rust on the springs in the seals.  And, as noted, I am re-using the WOB.  We plan on pulling out for hurricane season in the Caribbean 14 months from now and I will re-check it.  Ironically, the entire process left me kind of upset with myself for even doing the change! 


Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI SM429 Gozo in the Maltese archipelago
 
 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Fresh Water Pump

Peter Forbes
 

Porter,

Yes and Maud said she couldn’t get one. Now I know what you say I will try again.

Many thanks - where is your boat 152?

Peter

Peter Forbes
00447836 209730

On 11 May 2018, at 10:48, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Peter

Just 6 months ago I got a new one from Maud. 
Expensive, but it was there in a week. 
Have you asked Amel?

Porter
54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On May 11, 2018, at 4:23 AM, Peter Forbes ppsforbes@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

I am finding great difficulty finding a European source for the fresh water pump on my 54. The existing seems to draw 1 amp and pump 6 litres a minute. I can find one that draws 3.7 amps but I don’t know if that will be too much for that frigoboat circuit.

Any ideas?

Peter Forbes
00447836 209730