Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] On the Krow, no problems.

Brent Cameron
 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sad video of Nikimat

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Thanks very much Mark,
I keep an eye on the forum, I am very proud and honored to be remembered and that many of you answer questions using some of the illustrations I did.
With time, I will put more pictures and reorganize the site.

Last time I saw NIKIMAT was may be 1 month ago after he was towed to the French side and the masts were removed. After that, I look and look and never saw him again…
The salvage company told me, it is awaiting to be shredded.

I left Sint Maarten last Tuesday, I am now in Martinique where I saw again Dave & Leanne, John & Coleen, met Charlie & John (Tritum) as well as Olaf (I am actually staying on his Santorin).
Going to pick up my friend Arno who is looking at a 54.

Sincerely, Alexandre




--------------------------------------------

On Sun, 7/8/18, Mark Garver mgarver@me.com [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sad video of Nikimat
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, July 8, 2018, 9:17 AM


 









Hard to watch, I remember seeing the message here
about Alex’s loss right after Irma. He does continue to
help on this forum and in many other ways!
Godspeed Alexandre and Nikimat!

Sent from my
iPhone
On Jul 8,
2018, at 8:29 AM, brentcameron61@gmail.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:
















 






I stumbled across this video
yesterday.  Apparently Nikimat (2001 Super Maramu, Hull #
289) is going to be parted out to rebuild Agapanthe
(Rafael's boat a 1999 Super Maramu, Hull #246).  Both
were totalled in Hurricane Irma at St. Martin.  I only post
this to show the toughness of these boats.  I know many of
us wondered exactly what kind of damage it would take to
sink a Super Maramu.  Despite severe damage and being
nearly chopped in half,  Nikimat looks to be in remarkably
good condition considering what she lived through in her
final hours.  (I did check with Alexandre before posting
this).  Despite everything he's gone through, he
continues to be a leader in this great community, helping
others.
   http://picbear.online/used_boats_for_sale_caribbean
Brent
CameronFuture Super Maramu
owner


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump

Sv Garulfo
 

Thanks Mark,

You had found a really good price for the pump so I got surprised by the prices of the rebuild kit I had found in my research. 

Fair winds,

Thomas
GARULFO 
A54-122
Curacao



On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 at 12:36, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Curacao

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, July 9, 2018 5:05 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump

 

 

 

Duane, Craig, Bill, Mark and al,

 

Thanks for the info, very useful !

 

Does anyone has a good reference/source for the major rebuild kit for that pump? 

 

Thanks

Thomas

 

GARULFO 

A54-122

Curacao

 

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 at 13:58, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

 

Duane,

Actually, you're right - it is easy-peasy and you definitely don't need to go to the expense of a shop rebuilt. I agree with Mark that having two pumps works great - you can rebuild one at your leisure after popping the new one on. I do this with both my genset and my main engine water pumps - have rebuilt them both many times over the years.

In lieu of a press you can just carefully tap out the shaft using a socket from your socket wrench set as a "pusher". On reassembly you may want to put parts in the freezer and/or hot water to make them go together more easily. Sourcing parts is easy.

Have fun with it!

Cheers, Craig Briggs

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

 

Bill R.,

 

Thank for your post.  I actually had a rebuild kit on board (memory is an occasional thing for me these days it seems) and though easi-peasi, just rebuild the pump!  But it will take a shop to get this one apart.

 

I agree with you, another pump is the way to go.

 

Duane


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump

Mark Erdos
 

Thomas,

 

I think you will find eBay to be the cheapest source. Or perhaps Amazon.

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuild-Kit-For-Sherwood-Pump-G701-Onan-132-0358/112375609437?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52935%26meid%3Db193ea3b8812496c970fd418bfe0bf42%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D122448674645%26itm%3D112375609437&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

 

However for the price of the kit and shipping etc, I’d replace the whole pump for the extra $75.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Curacao

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, July 9, 2018 5:05 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump

 

 

 

Duane, Craig, Bill, Mark and al,

 

Thanks for the info, very useful !

 

Does anyone has a good reference/source for the major rebuild kit for that pump? 

 

Thanks

Thomas

 

GARULFO 

A54-122

Curacao

 

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 at 13:58, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

 

Duane,

Actually, you're right - it is easy-peasy and you definitely don't need to go to the expense of a shop rebuilt. I agree with Mark that having two pumps works great - you can rebuild one at your leisure after popping the new one on. I do this with both my genset and my main engine water pumps - have rebuilt them both many times over the years.

In lieu of a press you can just carefully tap out the shaft using a socket from your socket wrench set as a "pusher". On reassembly you may want to put parts in the freezer and/or hot water to make them go together more easily. Sourcing parts is easy.

Have fun with it!

Cheers, Craig Briggs

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

 

Bill R.,

 

Thank for your post.  I actually had a rebuild kit on board (memory is an occasional thing for me these days it seems) and though easi-peasi, just rebuild the pump!  But it will take a shop to get this one apart.

 

I agree with you, another pump is the way to go.

 

Duane


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Genoa electric furling gears

Kostas Ioannidis <kostas_ioannidis@...>
 

Hi John ,

Thanks very much!!! That’s very encouraging. Perhaps the gear maker here will not have problems either...:)
If he does I’ll get back to you and perhaps contact the gear maker in New Zealand for his ideas.
We have also serviced the main furling gears with the original Italian parts.
Thanks again!!

Best,
Kostas and Helen 

On Monday, July 9, 2018, 2:00:47 PM GMT+3, John Hayes johnhayes862@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:


 

Hi Helen and Kostas

 

My Santorin is 1991 and we had the same problem a year ago. We managed (in New Zealand) to get the worm drive machined and then a new disk gear cut. All bearings were also replaced. The cost as I recall was about NZ$2000 or roughly US $1400 which included courier charges. The fellow who did the work had never before seen a fiberglass gear box casing but reckoned the rebuilt box would be good for 25 years!

 

We took the furler gear box to the gear maker; no plans were necessary

 

I have also just replaced the gear boxes on the main furler and boom outhaul. Both about US$ 300 and standard bonfiglioli (sp?) units.

 

Best

 

John Hayes

Nag Waka

Wellington

New Zealand

 

From: on behalf of "Kostas Ioannidis kostas_ioannidis@... [amelyachtowners]"
Reply-To:
Date: Monday, 9 July 2018 at 10:27 PM
To: "amelyachtowners@..." Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Genoa electric furling gears

 

 

Dear all,

 

Our electric furling system on our Super Maramu no 29 in 1990 is broken. 

The gears inside are sheared . We had already replaced the bearings inside when it was making some noise a few years ago but this time the mechanical engineer here on Syros island in Greece says that he will need replacement gears as it will be very hard to have new ones cut and probably very expensive.

Has anyone had any experience and does anyone have any ideas to help?

Maud at Amel will send some plans which will help but any other help will be very much appreciated!!

 

Best regards,

Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi sailing on “Meditation “Super Maramu no 29 in 1990


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Genoa electric furling gears

JOHN HAYES
 

Hi Helen and Kostas

 

My Santorin is 1991 and we had the same problem a year ago. We managed (in New Zealand) to get the worm drive machined and then a new disk gear cut. All bearings were also replaced. The cost as I recall was about NZ$2000 or roughly US $1400 which included courier charges. The fellow who did the work had never before seen a fiberglass gear box casing but reckoned the rebuilt box would be good for 25 years!

 

We took the furler gear box to the gear maker; no plans were necessary

 

I have also just replaced the gear boxes on the main furler and boom outhaul. Both about US$ 300 and standard bonfiglioli (sp?) units.

 

Best

 

John Hayes

Nag Waka

Wellington

New Zealand

 

From: on behalf of "Kostas Ioannidis kostas_ioannidis@... [amelyachtowners]"
Reply-To:
Date: Monday, 9 July 2018 at 10:27 PM
To: "amelyachtowners@..."
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Genoa electric furling gears

 

 

Dear all,

 

Our electric furling system on our Super Maramu no 29 in 1990 is broken. 

The gears inside are sheared . We had already replaced the bearings inside when it was making some noise a few years ago but this time the mechanical engineer here on Syros island in Greece says that he will need replacement gears as it will be very hard to have new ones cut and probably very expensive.

Has anyone had any experience and does anyone have any ideas to help?

Maud at Amel will send some plans which will help but any other help will be very much appreciated!!

 

Best regards,

Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi sailing on “Meditation “Super Maramu no 29 in 1990


Genoa electric furling gears

Kostas Ioannidis <kostas_ioannidis@...>
 

Dear all,

Our electric furling system on our Super Maramu no 29 in 1990 is broken. 
The gears inside are sheared . We had already replaced the bearings inside when it was making some noise a few years ago but this time the mechanical engineer here on Syros island in Greece says that he will need replacement gears as it will be very hard to have new ones cut and probably very expensive.
Has anyone had any experience and does anyone have any ideas to help?
Maud at Amel will send some plans which will help but any other help will be very much appreciated!!

Best regards,
Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi sailing on “Meditation “Super Maramu no 29 in 1990


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump

Sv Garulfo
 


Duane, Craig, Bill, Mark and al,

Thanks for the info, very useful !

Does anyone has a good reference/source for the major rebuild kit for that pump? 

Thanks
Thomas

GARULFO 
A54-122
Curacao

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 at 13:58, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 


Duane,
Actually, you're right - it is easy-peasy and you definitely don't need to go to the expense of a shop rebuilt. I agree with Mark that having two pumps works great - you can rebuild one at your leisure after popping the new one on. I do this with both my genset and my main engine water pumps - have rebuilt them both many times over the years.
In lieu of a press you can just carefully tap out the shaft using a socket from your socket wrench set as a "pusher". On reassembly you may want to put parts in the freezer and/or hot water to make them go together more easily. Sourcing parts is easy.
Have fun with it!
Cheers, Craig Briggs

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :



Bill R.,

Thank for your post.  I actually had a rebuild kit on board (memory is an occasional thing for me these days it seems) and though easi-peasi, just rebuild the pump!  But it will take a shop to get this one apart.

I agree with you, another pump is the way to go.

Duane


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] On the Krow, no problems.

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

We met Krow in St Martin in 2008 or so. Krow is Work,  spelt backwards. Extraordinary couple. They bought their Amel without knowing how to sail. Hired a "pro" to teach them for 3 months. Realised that he knew nothing. Then realised --at a few days notice--that they had to leave the US or pay tax on the boat. They left and headed for the Azores, reading up as they went along. When they came to berth in the Horta it was the first time they had brought the boat alongside ! Took them about 30 minutes--the harbour master simply couldn't understand.

 They went on to spend a year in the Med.  Amazingly, the day we met them , they having just crossed back to the Caribean, was the first time they had ever used their anchor! In the Med they had gone from marina to marina.


Just shows, with a intelligent owners , even if you can't sail at first, an Amel will look after you.


Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece


From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: 08 July 2018 22:57:36
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] On the Krow, no problems.
 


We met a couple in Beaufort, NC who owned an Amel SM (I think it was a 2003) named Krow.  I can't remember his name, but her name was Jane.  They must be in their 70's.


I thought it was worth posting here that they bought it used and sailed the Caribbean, and then the Med, and told me that nothing ever broke down on the boat.  It was perfect.  I have to note here, that they have already sold the boat...


It reminds me of the old joke that, among sailors, there are "them that have run aground, and the damn liars!".  Now, I'm not calling their assertion into question, I just envy their experience.


Best regards to all the mechanics out there,

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477




Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

Thanks, Duane,


I find the easiest way to change an impeller on the Onan is to detach the two water pipes, undo the two bolts holding the pump to the engine and then you can fit a new impeller in the comfort of your cockpit.


The first time that you remove the pump you may have to give it a sharp tap to disengage. Thereafter it's simple. 


My impellers last about 200 hours. The sensor is not that sensitive--when it cut out the engine yesterday the impeller had ONE blade on it. The rest were blocking the heat exchanger.


Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece


From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: 08 July 2018 22:50:13
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump
 


I put a PDF in the Files section under Onan Information.

The PDF is a set of photos of my overhaul of the water pump.  With the Bearing Puller I have (bought from Harbor Freight) it really wasn't too bad or complicated of a job.  I had the "Major Service Kit" from Onan on board and it had some pretty good instructions.  

The intent of the PDF is to just give a visual overview of the process and how it can be accomplished with a bearing puller in lieu of a hydraulic press.  It's worth noting that the instructions from Onan, under Tools required, lists a "Hand Press".  I expect they are referring to something like my bearing puller.

Have fun!
Duane

Oh, and for Ian, I'm not sure what Mark used but I plan to use either a "Banjo30 Mesh T-Line Strainer, 595 Microns, 1" Pipe Size
Item # 3DTX3 Mfr. Model # LST100-30 Catalog Page # 2898 UNSPSC # 40142501"  from Amazon, 

or
1" Y Strainer,Threaded, 20Mesh, 4-1/2"Length, Bronze KECKLEY 45AK97 11THYBCM20M34
from the Grainger catalog.


 



On the Krow, no problems.

Duane Siegfri
 

We met a couple in Beaufort, NC who owned an Amel SM (I think it was a 2003) named Krow.  I can't remember his name, but her name was Jane.  They must be in their 70's.


I thought it was worth posting here that they bought it used and sailed the Caribbean, and then the Med, and told me that nothing ever broke down on the boat.  It was perfect.  I have to note here, that they have already sold the boat...


It reminds me of the old joke that, among sailors, there are "them that have run aground, and the damn liars!".  Now, I'm not calling their assertion into question, I just envy their experience.


Best regards to all the mechanics out there,

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477


Mango for Sale?

jwagam@...
 

Hi All

I just got a lead on a new Amel 50 I may be buying. Will need to sell my heavily renovated and upgraded 1986 Mango #66. Is anybody looking? I will need to put together a full list but here are some highlights:

The Good:

Repowered with a 110 Yanmar and fuel supply system
7 coats of epoxy barrier coat
New AC
New Upholstery
New Power management system with solar, house batteries, inverter/charger, isolaters
New hot water heater
Deck epoxied then kiwi gripped
New ray marine Instruments
Sole sanded and partially finished
Corian countertops
New stainless portlites
New fridge
Rewired
Refinished hatches
New heads. One electric the other composting
Dinghy
Much more to list

The bad

Need to finish the headliner and lighting. Have the pieces cut
2 holes cut in rear head to fish water lines
Terminate water lines to hot water
Port rear turnbuckle needs a new fitting
Fuel tanks need to be cleaned
Traveler needs new lines
Cockpit needs to painted to match boat. I have the paint
Starboard fuel line needs to be tied into systems filter system

We cruised the boat last year with issue. I have well over 225 into it but would way selling to get a new Amel 50

Thanks
Jay
Hobo Tiemp Mango #66


Re: Onan Water Pump

Duane Siegfri
 

I put a PDF in the Files section under Onan Information.

The PDF is a set of photos of my overhaul of the water pump.  With the Bearing Puller I have (bought from Harbor Freight) it really wasn't too bad or complicated of a job.  I had the "Major Service Kit" from Onan on board and it had some pretty good instructions.  

The intent of the PDF is to just give a visual overview of the process and how it can be accomplished with a bearing puller in lieu of a hydraulic press.  It's worth noting that the instructions from Onan, under Tools required, lists a "Hand Press".  I expect they are referring to something like my bearing puller.

Have fun!
Duane

Oh, and for Ian, I'm not sure what Mark used but I plan to use either a "Banjo30 Mesh T-Line Strainer, 595 Microns, 1" Pipe Size
Item # 3DTX3 Mfr. Model # LST100-30 Catalog Page # 2898 UNSPSC # 40142501"  from Amazon, 

or
1" Y Strainer,Threaded, 20Mesh, 4-1/2"Length, Bronze KECKLEY 45AK97 11THYBCM20M34
from the Grainger catalog.


 


New file uploaded to amelyachtowners

amelyachtowners@...
 

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that
a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the amelyachtowners
group.

File : /Onan Genset Information/WaterPumpOverhaul.pdf
Uploaded by : sailor63109 <sailor63109@yahoo.com>
Description : PDF with photos

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/files/Onan%20Genset%20Information/WaterPumpOverhaul.pdf

To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_GRPS&locale=en_US&id=SLN15398

Regards,

sailor63109 <sailor63109@yahoo.com>


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] engine cruising RPM

Courtney Gorman
 

Amen Porter well said 


On Jul 8, 2018, at 12:41 PM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Teun,

Mostly true. New long block 800 hours ago and New injectors about 400 hours ago. 
It is a common rail. 
On a different topic. We’re currently stuck in panama with a bad boost pressure sensor. 
I have envy of anyone who can unplug the computer and have the engine run. 
The concept that a computer controlled engine be installed in a world cruising sailboat seems antithetical to the purpose of a sailboat, and to ours in particular. 
I’ve been training (at your knees, and especially Bill R’s) for the past year to be as self sufficient as possible, and to be thwarted by a stray electron underscores how vulnerable we are. Our cruising buddies are on a 1984 trintella. Sailed from Croatia. They are in year #5. Old Perkins runs like a boss. I asked my buddy, who is in his own right a Jedi of machinery, how often he changes his fuel filters.  He chuckled.  “I don’t think I’ve needed to do that” he said. Pressure’s good. Engine runs well. 
I had engine envy. Not that the Volvo isn’t a fine piece of hardware, but.... it’s the intersection of important and complicated. Not a good combo. Like I say. Thank God for sails, and the fact that we sailors got around just fine for the first 1000 years without motors. 

In short. Seems like diesels (or the industry and associated standards) took a step back in the past 15 years putting efficiency over simplicity. I think Nigel Calder would agree. 

Have wonderful Sundays. Without this motor glitch we wouldn’t have seen the incredibly beautiful town of El Valle up here in the Panamanian cordillera. 

Porter, Helen and crew
S/V Ibis
54-152
Panama City



On Jul 7, 2018, at 6:30 PM, Teun BAAS teun@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Porter,

 

I understood you had a new VOLVO installed. If so, and it is a common rail, then there is NO need to run the engine on high rpms to “burn out the soot”.

 

This is the specific instruction I got this week from the SYDNEY VOLVO technician installing my VOLVO D3 110 H here in NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA.

 

Best Regards Teun

AMELIT  54 – 128

NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA

Jul 08, 2018   10:27:44

 

 

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2018 10:24 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] engine cruising RPM

 

 

Thanks Mark. 

If temp is the final data point, we cruise at about 79-80. What should be the goal?

Thanks again!

Porter


On Jul 7, 2018, at 11:13 AM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Porter,

 

It really doesn’t matter how you do it but you need to create internal engine heat to clean out the engine. This is done with a load on the engine. If in neutral, it will take longer to create a load and heat. In gear while underway will heat up the engine faster.

 

This is true for all diesel engines.

 

Where you run the RPM depends on the engine. Typically, 80% of max power will heat up the engine nicely without too much strain. This is also good for the turbocharger, if fitted with one.

 

How long? At least every couple of hours while underway, if not a little more frequently... We run ours up every hour for about five minutes. This works for us.

 

Keep in mind, this is not just the ship’s engine but also true for the genset. Running a genset without load will cause carbon buildup. Keep the genset loaded when charging batteries etc. We find it best to run a couple of AC units or do a load of laundry etc. The battery charger only puts load on the genset at the beginning of the charge cycle.

 

Hope this helps.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Curacao

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 11:35 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] engine cruising RPM

 

 

Ok. Bullshit aside. 

I do have a few real questions, that I’ve had for a while. 

It’s the same for all diesels. Yes?  

Is “racing” out of gear best?  I would think load would be required to increase fuel consumption and thus heat. Fuel burn>>heat dissipation 2/2 raw water flow. 

Forget the rpm. Where is the throttle?  100% down? 80%?  

And for how long?  

 

Many thanks, as always to this great group. 

 

Porter

A54-152. 

 

 

Excuse the errors.  

Sent from my IPhone 


On Jul 7, 2018, at 9:02 AM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Bob,

 

Wow! Sorry. I didn’t realize I had to be so freaking specific. Seriously! The essence of the post I made is 100% correct. I didn’t intend to make a verbatim quote of the manual. If  I had, I would have used quotation marks. I stated this is OUTLINED in the manual. I did not say this is a DIRECT QUOTE from the manual. Geeez! And, please note I did say 4JH4 manual, not 4JH3 as you are quoting.

 

But if you want specific details of the JH4 Operation Manual, publication number OAJH4-G00102, page 78. I quote, “Periodically operate the engine near maximum speed while underway. This will generate higher exhaust temperatures, which help clean out hard carbon deposits, maintain engine performance and prolong the life of the engine”

This is below the section you quote about running it in idle and speaks specifically about running the engine while underway.

 

Regardless of whether this is done in neutral or in gear while underway, the purpose of the procedure is to raise the internal temperature of the engine periodically to remove carbon build up. Carbon build up will kill a diesel engine.

 

I’m feelin’ a little crabby today. Can you tell?

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Curacao

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 3:20 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] engine cruising RPM

 

 

Hi Mark,

Regarding "Running a lower RPMs without load will shorten the life of the engine unless it is pushed up at least once per hour for about 5 minutes. This is outlinede in the Yanmar operation manual."

 

This is not to challenge the veracity of your statement but I cannot find that in my Yanmar manual. Maybe you have a different manual and it would be helpful (really) to have you quote what it says. 

 

What my 4JH3-HTE Operation Manual says (on page 30 section 4.6) is: 

 

"When operating the engine at low speed ffor long periods of time, race the engine once every 2 hours"..."Racing the Engine, Morse Remote Control Handle Pull out the handle lever...and shift the engine speed from high to low several times...Racing the engine removes carbon built up in the compustion chamber around the fuel injection valve.  Neglecting to race tthe engine will cause the exhaust to turn black and lower the efficiency of the engine".

 

In other words it says to gun the engine several times while it is in neutral.

 

Like others, we vary my speed between 1600 and 2200 for cruising and can cruise up to 2400 rpm.  We also run it at say 2800 for 5 minutes or so periodically.  However, I cannot find where Yanmar recommends this.  There are postings in this group (not yours) that say to run it full out for 5 minutes, even full out fo 30 minutes but I don't think that is advisable. Seems that vibration is higher and it might be hard on the transmission and c drive as well.  Like most of us we vary the speed and run it harder at times but we also do the "Racing" procedure that is in our manual.

 

Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI #429

La Maddalena, Sardegna

 

 


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump

Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...>
 

Very helpful again!
Thanks for the information.
best regards,
Alex,
SY NO STRESS

On Sunday, July 8, 2018, 2:53:54 PM GMT-4, Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:


 

Sorry - the email below went off before I had finished signing 


Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 , Greece 


Begin forwarded message:

From: Ian & Judy <ianjudyjenkins@...>
Date: 8 July 2018 at 21:50:01 EEST
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump

Hi Mark and Duane , 

Having spent a couple of hours this morning fitting a new impeller to my Onan plus cleaning the broken impeller blades from the heat exchangerwould be interested in that same item - can you send me the reference 


On 8 Jul 2018, at 15:40, sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Mark,

Thanks for the photo and the part reference.  I was wondering how I would support a heavy bronze fitting off the hose, but the plastic one you used appears not to need support, so another problem solved!

Thanks!
Duane


[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

Sorry - the email below went off before I had finished signing 

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 , Greece 


Begin forwarded message:

From: Ian & Judy <ianjudyjenkins@...>
Date: 8 July 2018 at 21:50:01 EEST
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump

Hi Mark and Duane , 

Having spent a couple of hours this morning fitting a new impeller to my Onan plus cleaning the broken impeller blades from the heat exchangerwould be interested in that same item - can you send me the reference 


On 8 Jul 2018, at 15:40, sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Mark,

Thanks for the photo and the part reference.  I was wondering how I would support a heavy bronze fitting off the hose, but the plastic one you used appears not to need support, so another problem solved!

Thanks!
Duane


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Onan Water Pump

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>
 

Hi Mark and Duane , 

Having spent a couple of hours this morning fitting a new impeller to my Onan plus cleaning the broken impeller blades from the heat exchangerwould be interested in that same item - can you send me the reference 


On 8 Jul 2018, at 15:40, sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Mark,

Thanks for the photo and the part reference.  I was wondering how I would support a heavy bronze fitting off the hose, but the plastic one you used appears not to need support, so another problem solved!

Thanks!
Duane


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Freshwater Pump - pressure sensing mechanical switch

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl
 

Thank you Wolfgang, you are correct. Earlier on we had noticed that the pump never kept running when plugged into a marina shore power, as batteries always fully charged, but then started it's nonsense again every morning at anchor as the charge fell below 25.1 volts.

That was the first problem we had some 3 months before it got much worse.

We are sorted now, as a new pressure switch is being sent out by Amel (our one will be fixed and kept as a spare) and we have also a 2nd complete fresh water pump system which bypasses the original one (with it's own one way valve and pressure switch), and quick system change over taps to change over between the two separate systems. In this way we will be back in business tomorrow and can also go back to the original Amel system (and visa versa) when that new pressure switch part finally arrives from Amel.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and assistance. Also a special thanks to Bill Rouse for the huge amount of very informative fresh water pump setting information (10 pages) sent privately from his exceptional 400+ page Amel maintenance book. Whist I do not have a copy of Bill's complete book, from the 10 pages I have now seen, I would think his book should be the first resource any new (or existing) Amel owner should turn to, and keep handy on board.

Fair winds

Colin Streeter
SV Island Pearl II - SM#332
Grand Bay, Mauritius


On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 6:02 PM, webercardio webercardio@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Our freshwaterpump did not stop running, when the voltage of the batterie were low.
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162







--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] engine cruising RPM

Porter McRoberts
 

Teun,
Mostly true. New long block 800 hours ago and New injectors about 400 hours ago. 
It is a common rail. 
On a different topic. We’re currently stuck in panama with a bad boost pressure sensor. 
I have envy of anyone who can unplug the computer and have the engine run. 
The concept that a computer controlled engine be installed in a world cruising sailboat seems antithetical to the purpose of a sailboat, and to ours in particular. 
I’ve been training (at your knees, and especially Bill R’s) for the past year to be as self sufficient as possible, and to be thwarted by a stray electron underscores how vulnerable we are. Our cruising buddies are on a 1984 trintella. Sailed from Croatia. They are in year #5. Old Perkins runs like a boss. I asked my buddy, who is in his own right a Jedi of machinery, how often he changes his fuel filters.  He chuckled.  “I don’t think I’ve needed to do that” he said. Pressure’s good. Engine runs well. 
I had engine envy. Not that the Volvo isn’t a fine piece of hardware, but.... it’s the intersection of important and complicated. Not a good combo. Like I say. Thank God for sails, and the fact that we sailors got around just fine for the first 1000 years without motors. 

In short. Seems like diesels (or the industry and associated standards) took a step back in the past 15 years putting efficiency over simplicity. I think Nigel Calder would agree. 

Have wonderful Sundays. Without this motor glitch we wouldn’t have seen the incredibly beautiful town of El Valle up here in the Panamanian cordillera. 

Porter, Helen and crew
S/V Ibis
54-152
Panama City



On Jul 7, 2018, at 6:30 PM, Teun BAAS teun@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Hi Porter,

 

I understood you had a new VOLVO installed. If so, and it is a common rail, then there is NO need to run the engine on high rpms to “burn out the soot”.

 

This is the specific instruction I got this week from the SYDNEY VOLVO technician installing my VOLVO D3 110 H here in NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA.

 

Best Regards Teun

AMELIT  54 – 128

NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA

Jul 08, 2018   10:27:44

 

 

 

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2018 10:24 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] engine cruising RPM

 

 

Thanks Mark. 

If temp is the final data point, we cruise at about 79-80. What should be the goal?

Thanks again!

Porter


On Jul 7, 2018, at 11:13 AM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Porter,

 

It really doesn’t matter how you do it but you need to create internal engine heat to clean out the engine. This is done with a load on the engine. If in neutral, it will take longer to create a load and heat. In gear while underway will heat up the engine faster.

 

This is true for all diesel engines.

 

Where you run the RPM depends on the engine. Typically, 80% of max power will heat up the engine nicely without too much strain. This is also good for the turbocharger, if fitted with one.

 

How long? At least every couple of hours while underway, if not a little more frequently... We run ours up every hour for about five minutes. This works for us.

 

Keep in mind, this is not just the ship’s engine but also true for the genset. Running a genset without load will cause carbon buildup. Keep the genset loaded when charging batteries etc. We find it best to run a couple of AC units or do a load of laundry etc. The battery charger only puts load on the genset at the beginning of the charge cycle.

 

Hope this helps.

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Curacao

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 11:35 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] engine cruising RPM

 

 

Ok. Bullshit aside. 

I do have a few real questions, that I’ve had for a while. 

It’s the same for all diesels. Yes?  

Is “racing” out of gear best?  I would think load would be required to increase fuel consumption and thus heat. Fuel burn>>heat dissipation 2/2 raw water flow. 

Forget the rpm. Where is the throttle?  100% down? 80%?  

And for how long?  

 

Many thanks, as always to this great group. 

 

Porter

A54-152. 

 

 

Excuse the errors.  

Sent from my IPhone 


On Jul 7, 2018, at 9:02 AM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 

Bob,

 

Wow! Sorry. I didn’t realize I had to be so freaking specific. Seriously! The essence of the post I made is 100% correct. I didn’t intend to make a verbatim quote of the manual. If  I had, I would have used quotation marks. I stated this is OUTLINED in the manual. I did not say this is a DIRECT QUOTE from the manual. Geeez! And, please note I did say 4JH4 manual, not 4JH3 as you are quoting.

 

But if you want specific details of the JH4 Operation Manual, publication number OAJH4-G00102, page 78. I quote, “Periodically operate the engine near maximum speed while underway. This will generate higher exhaust temperatures, which help clean out hard carbon deposits, maintain engine performance and prolong the life of the engine”

This is below the section you quote about running it in idle and speaks specifically about running the engine while underway.

 

Regardless of whether this is done in neutral or in gear while underway, the purpose of the procedure is to raise the internal temperature of the engine periodically to remove carbon build up. Carbon build up will kill a diesel engine.

 

I’m feelin’ a little crabby today. Can you tell?

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Curacao

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 3:20 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] engine cruising RPM

 

 

Hi Mark,

Regarding "Running a lower RPMs without load will shorten the life of the engine unless it is pushed up at least once per hour for about 5 minutes. This is outlinede in the Yanmar operation manual."

 

This is not to challenge the veracity of your statement but I cannot find that in my Yanmar manual. Maybe you have a different manual and it would be helpful (really) to have you quote what it says. 

 

What my 4JH3-HTE Operation Manual says (on page 30 section 4.6) is: 

 

"When operating the engine at low speed ffor long periods of time, race the engine once every 2 hours"..."Racing the Engine, Morse Remote Control Handle Pull out the handle lever...and shift the engine speed from high to low several times...Racing the engine removes carbon built up in the compustion chamber around the fuel injection valve.  Neglecting to race tthe engine will cause the exhaust to turn black and lower the efficiency of the engine".

 

In other words it says to gun the engine several times while it is in neutral.

 

Like others, we vary my speed between 1600 and 2200 for cruising and can cruise up to 2400 rpm.  We also run it at say 2800 for 5 minutes or so periodically.  However, I cannot find where Yanmar recommends this.  There are postings in this group (not yours) that say to run it full out for 5 minutes, even full out fo 30 minutes but I don't think that is advisable. Seems that vibration is higher and it might be hard on the transmission and c drive as well.  Like most of us we vary the speed and run it harder at times but we also do the "Racing" procedure that is in our manual.

 

Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI #429

La Maddalena, Sardegna

 

 

18601 - 18620 of 59237