Date   

Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] High quality spare Ropes SM 2000

Paul Osterberg
 

For the outhaul I use 12 mm rope with vectran core, the benefit with Vectran over dyneema is less creap and less elongation at load. The 12 mm give better grip in the Anderson line tender. The disadvantage with Vectran is poor UV stability, but as you have a cover that is less of an issue. In Germany you have Liros rope they do a lot of Vectran ropes both with low friction and high friction. Of course choose a high friction rope. We bought from Liros and it works well. Remember to pre stretch the rope before installing 
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] High quality spare Ropes SM 2000

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Hello Olivier,

I know exactly which one you need (for the Outhaul).

I don’t have any 10mm, only 16mm and I am in Sint Maarten.

Sincerely, Alexandre



--------------------------------------------

On Sun, 11/5/17, Oliver Buhlert-von Duehren obuhlert@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] High quality spare Ropes SM 2000
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday, November 5, 2017, 10:52 AM


 









Hello
Alexandre,
for spare I need a 10 diameter to
replace in case another 10 diameter Kevlar. 
For replacement it is the rope
which is „moving" the boom extension car of the main
boom. 
We are in the US.
OliverSV JoEmiSM 2000 No. 397  
Am 05.11.2017 um 16:49 schrieb
Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:
Hello Olivier, 

Which “rope”?  
and where are you
located?

Sincerely
Alexandre

--------------------------------------------
On Sun,
11/5/17, qmvwv3fna4dth3r32bdwtz3bpy7meopg2s2xlnuq@... [amelyachtowners]
<amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht
Owners] High quality spare Ropes SM 2000
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday,
November 5, 2017, 9:17 AM


 









Hello,
We plan to replace one rope
and would like to
buy some very good spare ropes- just
for,the case. We are looking for
the original ropes or maybe
better ones.
Any recommendations. So far
we would choose
again Kevlar ropes. We don't need
halyards.
Oliver SV
JoEmiSM 2000 No. 397


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Head Pump Out

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Hello Mark & Jennifer,

here is what I used:
http://nikimat.com/pump_out_hose.html
The hose will suck from the bottom of your tank.

Never a fun experience, but gets better with time!

Sincerely, Alexandre



--------------------------------------------

On Sun, 11/5/17, @Itsgood [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Head Pump Out
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday, November 5, 2017, 10:14 AM


 









Having recently purchased Super Maramu
#105, we encountered a minor issue during our first pump out
and that issue being that the standard pump out adapters do
not simply screw on to the SM deck fittings, so of course I
used the non threaded push in attachment, which again was a
bit of an issue due to the diameter of the pump out at the
deck. Simply wrapping some rubber gloves around the
attachment, and holding it an a very specific position
allowed me to finally get the tanks pumped out. My questions
is this, "Is there a better method"? I have
actually considered getting an adapter made at a machine
shop that would allow us to simply use the standard pump out
attachments at the various marinas we will be at in the US.
Once Marina recommended changing the deck fittings for
something standard here, to which I said no, in fear of the
"Keeper of all things Amel", Bill R. haunting me
during every pump out.
Any previous experienced
fixes or suggestions to this situation? I apologize if this
was already a topic, but I did search and didn't see
it.
Thanks!
Mark and Jennifer
GarverS/V It's
GoodAmel Super Maramu #105


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] High quality spare Ropes SM 2000

Oliver Buhlert
 

Hello Alexandre,

for spare I need a 10 diameter to replace in case another 10 diameter Kevlar. 

For replacement it is the rope which is „moving" the boom extension car of the main boom. 

We are in the US.

Oliver
SV JoEmi
SM 2000 No. 397  

Am 05.11.2017 um 16:49 schrieb Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Hello Olivier, 

Which “rope”?  
and where are you located?

Sincerely Alexandre

--------------------------------------------
On Sun, 11/5/17, qmvwv3fna4dth3r32bdwtz3bpy7meopg2s2xlnuq@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] High quality spare Ropes SM 2000
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday, November 5, 2017, 9:17 AM


 









Hello,
We plan to replace one rope
and would like to buy some very good spare ropes- just
for,the case. We are looking for the original ropes or maybe
better ones.
Any recommendations. So far
we would choose again Kevlar ropes. We don't need
halyards.
Oliver SV
JoEmiSM 2000 No. 397





Re: Replacing AMFA Fresh Water System by Jabsco

scentstone
 

Hi Dan,

No issue about pressure. It blows nearly the same pressure than the AMFA (no need for particular precaution in term of faucet opening/closing, just normal operation and normal pressure)
In order to be the best spare part you have to prepare the pipes and diameter adaptors to connect with the copper pipes (one is coming from the tank and is below the salt water "machine gun ;-)", the other is filling the circuit starting with the watermaker filter 3 ways gate.
With you 1m pipe ready for the both sides, you're ready to change in a matter of minutes by connecting the 3 wires (I remember that the white is for the green light panel indicator but I'm not currently on board)
Quick disconnect is just a smart system allowing to connect/disconnect easily… no worries about that it's strong and waterproof.`

I hope it helps.
Fred


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Perkins M 4.154 repairs

Alan Grayson
 

HI James, all diesel went into the crankcase, no evidence of leak on the pump. I don't believe you can replace seals without breaking it apart. I recommend calling diesel Parts in Houston, TX.  (713) 926-4439. The guys in the service dept ( 4 brothers) and super knowledgeable about Perkins engines. They rebuilt mine and a good friend with a 4154 also uses them. They are happy to answer any questions over the phone as well.
We would like a late model Super Maramu.
Alan Grayson


Head Pump Out

Mark Garver
 

Having recently purchased Super Maramu #105, we encountered a minor issue during our first pump out and that issue being that the standard pump out adapters do not simply screw on to the SM deck fittings, so of course I used the non threaded push in attachment, which again was a bit of an issue due to the diameter of the pump out at the deck. Simply wrapping some rubber gloves around the attachment, and holding it an a very specific position allowed me to finally get the tanks pumped out. My questions is this, "Is there a better method"? I have actually considered getting an adapter made at a machine shop that would allow us to simply use the standard pump out attachments at the various marinas we will be at in the US. Once Marina recommended changing the deck fittings for something standard here, to which I said no, in fear of the "Keeper of all things Amel", Bill R. haunting me during every pump out.


Any previous experienced fixes or suggestions to this situation? I apologize if this was already a topic, but I did search and didn't see it.


Thanks!


Mark and Jennifer Garver

S/V It's Good

Amel Super Maramu #105


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Perkins M 4.154 repairs

James Alton
 

Alan,

   Thanks for this information.  Was there any external evidence of fuel leakage on your injection pump, or did all of the fuel that leaked find it’s way into the crankcase?  I am thinking of going ahead and preemptively changing the shaft seal on my injection pump just for the peace of mind.  I wonder if the seal can be changed without having to open the pump?  

  Which Amel model are you considering?  

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220




Le ‎dimanche‎ ‎5‎ ‎novembre‎ ‎2017‎ ‎00‎:‎49‎:‎52‎ ‎CET, bazgrayson@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> a écrit :


 

Hi James, I had a Perkins 4108 which had a leaking injector pump. 2 indications of a fault was the engine oil pressure dropped and the oil level rose on the dipstick, confirmed by diesel parts in Houston Texas when they rebuilt the pump. My engine had sat for 2 years between runs.

Regards
Alan Grayson
Hope to be new owner soon



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] High quality spare Ropes SM 2000

Alexandre Uster von Baar
 

Hello Olivier,

Which “rope”?
and where are you located?

Sincerely Alexandre



--------------------------------------------

On Sun, 11/5/17, qmvwv3fna4dth3r32bdwtz3bpy7meopg2s2xlnuq@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] High quality spare Ropes SM 2000
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Sunday, November 5, 2017, 9:17 AM


 









Hello,
We plan to replace one rope
and would like to buy some very good spare ropes- just
for,the case. We are looking for the original ropes or maybe
better ones.
Any recommendations. So far
we would choose again Kevlar ropes. We don't need
halyards.
Oliver SV
JoEmiSM 2000 No. 397


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Perkins M 4.154 repairs

christian alby <calbyy@...>
 

Good afternoon Alan
your testimony confirms our guesses that the only way in is thru the lift pump - daiphragm damaged due to boat laid up for extended period - as my boat was laid up in port for 14 months without running the engine.
diaphragms (dried up & cracked) on all water pumps were found damaged when I turned them on.
the only pump I had not serviced until now was the Fuel oïl lift pump on the engine ...

fair winds

christian alby ( Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - Santa Cruz de Tenerife


Le ‎dimanche‎ ‎5‎ ‎novembre‎ ‎2017‎ ‎00‎:‎49‎:‎52‎ ‎CET, bazgrayson@... [amelyachtowners] a écrit :


 

Hi James, I had a Perkins 4108 which had a leaking injector pump. 2 indications of a fault was the engine oil pressure dropped and the oil level rose on the dipstick, confirmed by diesel parts in Houston Texas when they rebuilt the pump. My engine had sat for 2 years between runs.

Regards
Alan Grayson
Hope to be new owner soon


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Perkins M 4.154 repairs

James Alton
 

Christian,

   Thanks for keeping me updated.  If it turns out that there are any parts needed that would come from the US or Canada and you are having problems with logistics let me know and I will try to help.  

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Arbatax,  Italy

On Nov 5, 2017, at 11:10 AM, christian alby calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


Good afternoon James
the injection pump seal was our 2nd guess as a reason for Diesel ingress in lube oïl circuit; part of reason to take out engine as unable to remove from engine in position. 
Was found clean & untouched.
I will keep you posted on outcome of repairs.
fair winds

christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - Santa Cruz de Tenerife




Le ‎dimanche‎ ‎5‎ ‎novembre‎ ‎2017‎ ‎00‎:‎20‎:‎21‎ ‎CET, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> a écrit :


 

Christian Alby,


   Thank you for the details of what happened to your engine, perhaps it will help me avoid the same fate with my engine in the future.  

   I hope that you can find the rest of the parts that you need to rebuild your engine.    To me the 4-154 seems to be a really good match for my Maramu in all respects.

   It might be worth considering some of the other possible sources of diesel fuel in the oil other than just the diesel lift pump.  Does your original diesel fuel lift pump have a small vent hole on the bottom?  I have replaced a number of diesel fuel lift pumps on various engines that were leaking fuel out through the aforementioned vent hole that did not seem to have a problem with diesel getting into the oil.  Other sources of diesel in the oil to consider might be dribbling injectors or a leaking shaft seal on your injection pump.  I have experienced the former problem with a rise in oil level but this was with engines that were sitting idle.  The latter problem with the injection pump shaft seal leaking seems to be a fairly common issue on Perkins based on Web searches rather than on personal experience.  Apparently the problem can arise if conditions allow the injection pump input shaft to develop corrosion in the area of the shaft seal.  My engine sat for perhaps 4 years without being run before I purchase the boat so this might be a concern for me to look into as well.

    I thank you for sharing your details since I will now know to keep a careful eye out for any indication of oil thinning or other signs of diesel in the oil.  I think that your advice to install the mechanical oil pressure gauge is a good one and I will bring the needed parts back to Sueno on the next trip.  I am also wondering about carrying a viscosity tester (perhaps a viscosity cup) to check the oil.

Best of luck and let me know how the rebuild works out for you.

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

 

   
On Nov 4, 2017, at 4:26 PM, christian alby calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


Good evening to you
thanks for the tip on oïl pumps; will inquire to keep my adress book updated.
I just found one pump with a Perkins dealer in France who keeps parts for engines on tractors & earth moving eqpt.

Like most failures this one forewarned well in advance but was misinterpreted for real cause.
my engine dates back to 1982; about 6500 Hrs run, with good records of maintenance unrtil 2004, then 10 years without records whilst in the mediterranean.
the engine was running perfectly when I bought the boat April 2016; oïl pressure at 3.2 bar (46 psi) cold started, & 2.5 bars (36 psi) running at 1600 rpm, down to 1.8 bar (26 psi) idling at 600 rpm.
Engine oïl (15W40) changed about 100 hrs ago. No loss neither darkening on oïl gauge. Temperature at 70°C running. No fumes on exhaust.

Trouble started late sep-2017 running down the Mediterranean, on our way to Gibraltar; one low pressure at 1.1 bar (16 psi) when idling during docking maneuvers in port. Checked oïl, added 1/2 liter to build up level; thought about faulty bearing ...
Worsened when we landed in Lanzarote, after a long spell (20 hrs) running the engine.
Until departure from Santa Cruz Tenerife, when I found an abnormal level of oïl, with light viscosity, & left on our way to Cabo Verde, just to have the engine 'self-ignited' accelerating wildly with cloud of white smoke - I had to engage clutch to stop it.
Sailed back to port & checked engine - emptied oïl from engine & pumped out 12 liters of Diesel & oïl mixture. 
Diesel had been sipping into the lube oïl, stopping lubrification of engine parts.
As we did not have a conclusive reason for teh failure took advantage of a good workshop (rectificadora) in Santa Cruz to take the engine apart & check components for damage.
found piston rings gone as a direct result of failure.
Then found damage due to poor maintenance in the past of the past of the boat with wear on camshaft & tappets, bottom of pistons scored lightly as well as liners, oïl pump scored on rotor & housing, but still no real cause for Diesel oïl to mix with lube oïl. Apart from the diaphram on the Diesel oïl lift pump being slightly (?) worn. 
Nothing conclusive yet but I will rebuild the engine with new pistons, liners, bearings & seals; Replace the oïl pump, camshaft & tappets if I find parts in better condition. 
And replace the Diesel oïl lift pump or replace diaphragm & inner parts, as this seems to be the way the DO could enter the lube oïl circuit.

Free advice : a pressure gauge in addition to the buzzer will give you clear indication of fault in progress. then check oïl for density & cleanliness & follow the fault finding clues by Perkins, they are the result of long term experience.
Our engines are Worth it as they can run as long as we feed them well.

Fair winds, clean diesel & heavy oïl

Christian Alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Christian Alby - France home fixe +33 (0)5 34 39 06 02 home Internet +33 (0)9 60 37 22 72 mobile +33 (0)6 42 69 07 80


Le ‎samedi‎ ‎4‎ ‎novembre‎ ‎2017‎ ‎19‎:‎46‎:‎14‎ ‎CET, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> a écrit :


 

Christina Alby,


   Sorry to hear about the damage to your Perkins 154.  There are currently oil pumps listed on Ebay that are supposed to fit the 4-154 but they do not look like the same pump as in the manual to me.  I will attempt to post the link here:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oil-Pump-Massey-Ferguson-41314078-135-150-154-4-154-4S-Ford-JCB-Perkins/282026238213?epid=1554830820&hash=item41aa12e105:g:AykAAOSwubRXKQfv

   May I ask you if there were any warning signs of the impending failure of your oil pump?  How many hours were on your engine when the meltdown happened?  I have the same engine in my Maramu and it now has a little over 4,100 hours.  It seems to be running perfectly, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t consume oil but I am noticing that the oil pressure warning buzzer sounds almost as soon as the engine is stopped.  I don’t know if this is normal on this engine or not.  I am planning to hook up a mechanical gauge to find out what the actual pressure is, I think that the relief valve is set at 30 psi.?  I would like to keep this engine healthy for as long as possible.  If any other Perkins 154 owners can provide any advice on what to look out for or how to care for an aging Perkins 154  it would be very much  appreciated.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
Arbatax,  Italy



Gesendet von Yahoo Mail für iPad

Am Dienstag, Oktober 31, 2017, 07:10 schrieb calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

 

I am looking for repair parts to rebuild the Perkins 60 HP diesel engine on Désirade VIII - Maramu N° 116 built 1982.

The engine gave up on me in Tenerife, went in a cloud of smoke as DO went down & mixed with lube oïl, due to faulty oïl pump (worn out - loss of oïl pressure) . 

I sourced suppliers to rebuild cylinder head & blocks, but have difficulty finding a replacement camshaft & tappets, as well as a lube oïl pump. 

I am now looking for one old Perkins M 4.154, laid up somewhere in the world (as close as possible to Europe would be best) to purchase & use for parts, then refit as spare, as I feel more confident to rebuild & run an old engine than to go for the new generation, driven by computers, to sail in out of the main sea-routes.

Interested to hear from you all who did replace your engines.

Fair winds (as I hope to return to the same)


christian Alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu # 116 - now in Marina Atlantico Santa Cruz de Tenerife.








High quality spare Ropes SM 2000

qmvwv3fna4dth3r32bdwtz3bpy7meopg2s2xlnuq@...
 

Hello,


We plan to replace one rope and would like to buy some very good spare ropes- just for,the case. We are looking for the original ropes or maybe better ones.


Any recommendations. So far we would choose again Kevlar ropes. We don't need halyards.


Oliver 

SV JoEmi

SM 2000 No. 397


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Perkins M 4.154 repairs

christian alby <calbyy@...>
 

Good afternoon James
the injection pump seal was our 2nd guess as a reason for Diesel ingress in lube oïl circuit; part of reason to take out engine as unable to remove from engine in position. 
Was found clean & untouched.
I will keep you posted on outcome of repairs.
fair winds

christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - Santa Cruz de Tenerife




Le ‎dimanche‎ ‎5‎ ‎novembre‎ ‎2017‎ ‎00‎:‎20‎:‎21‎ ‎CET, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] a écrit :


 

Christian Alby,


   Thank you for the details of what happened to your engine, perhaps it will help me avoid the same fate with my engine in the future.  

   I hope that you can find the rest of the parts that you need to rebuild your engine.    To me the 4-154 seems to be a really good match for my Maramu in all respects.

   It might be worth considering some of the other possible sources of diesel fuel in the oil other than just the diesel lift pump.  Does your original diesel fuel lift pump have a small vent hole on the bottom?  I have replaced a number of diesel fuel lift pumps on various engines that were leaking fuel out through the aforementioned vent hole that did not seem to have a problem with diesel getting into the oil.  Other sources of diesel in the oil to consider might be dribbling injectors or a leaking shaft seal on your injection pump.  I have experienced the former problem with a rise in oil level but this was with engines that were sitting idle.  The latter problem with the injection pump shaft seal leaking seems to be a fairly common issue on Perkins based on Web searches rather than on personal experience.  Apparently the problem can arise if conditions allow the injection pump input shaft to develop corrosion in the area of the shaft seal.  My engine sat for perhaps 4 years without being run before I purchase the boat so this might be a concern for me to look into as well.

    I thank you for sharing your details since I will now know to keep a careful eye out for any indication of oil thinning or other signs of diesel in the oil.  I think that your advice to install the mechanical oil pressure gauge is a good one and I will bring the needed parts back to Sueno on the next trip.  I am also wondering about carrying a viscosity tester (perhaps a viscosity cup) to check the oil.

Best of luck and let me know how the rebuild works out for you.

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220

 

   
On Nov 4, 2017, at 4:26 PM, christian alby calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:


Good evening to you
thanks for the tip on oïl pumps; will inquire to keep my adress book updated.
I just found one pump with a Perkins dealer in France who keeps parts for engines on tractors & earth moving eqpt.

Like most failures this one forewarned well in advance but was misinterpreted for real cause.
my engine dates back to 1982; about 6500 Hrs run, with good records of maintenance unrtil 2004, then 10 years without records whilst in the mediterranean.
the engine was running perfectly when I bought the boat April 2016; oïl pressure at 3.2 bar (46 psi) cold started, & 2.5 bars (36 psi) running at 1600 rpm, down to 1.8 bar (26 psi) idling at 600 rpm.
Engine oïl (15W40) changed about 100 hrs ago. No loss neither darkening on oïl gauge. Temperature at 70°C running. No fumes on exhaust.

Trouble started late sep-2017 running down the Mediterranean, on our way to Gibraltar; one low pressure at 1.1 bar (16 psi) when idling during docking maneuvers in port. Checked oïl, added 1/2 liter to build up level; thought about faulty bearing ...
Worsened when we landed in Lanzarote, after a long spell (20 hrs) running the engine.
Until departure from Santa Cruz Tenerife, when I found an abnormal level of oïl, with light viscosity, & left on our way to Cabo Verde, just to have the engine 'self-ignited' accelerating wildly with cloud of white smoke - I had to engage clutch to stop it.
Sailed back to port & checked engine - emptied oïl from engine & pumped out 12 liters of Diesel & oïl mixture. 
Diesel had been sipping into the lube oïl, stopping lubrification of engine parts.
As we did not have a conclusive reason for teh failure took advantage of a good workshop (rectificadora) in Santa Cruz to take the engine apart & check components for damage.
found piston rings gone as a direct result of failure.
Then found damage due to poor maintenance in the past of the past of the boat with wear on camshaft & tappets, bottom of pistons scored lightly as well as liners, oïl pump scored on rotor & housing, but still no real cause for Diesel oïl to mix with lube oïl. Apart from the diaphram on the Diesel oïl lift pump being slightly (?) worn. 
Nothing conclusive yet but I will rebuild the engine with new pistons, liners, bearings & seals; Replace the oïl pump, camshaft & tappets if I find parts in better condition. 
And replace the Diesel oïl lift pump or replace diaphragm & inner parts, as this seems to be the way the DO could enter the lube oïl circuit.

Free advice : a pressure gauge in addition to the buzzer will give you clear indication of fault in progress. then check oïl for density & cleanliness & follow the fault finding clues by Perkins, they are the result of long term experience.
Our engines are Worth it as they can run as long as we feed them well.

Fair winds, clean diesel & heavy oïl

Christian Alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Christian Alby - France home fixe +33 (0)5 34 39 06 02 home Internet +33 (0)9 60 37 22 72 mobile +33 (0)6 42 69 07 80


Le ‎samedi‎ ‎4‎ ‎novembre‎ ‎2017‎ ‎19‎:‎46‎:‎14‎ ‎CET, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> a écrit :


 

Christina Alby,


   Sorry to hear about the damage to your Perkins 154.  There are currently oil pumps listed on Ebay that are supposed to fit the 4-154 but they do not look like the same pump as in the manual to me.  I will attempt to post the link here:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oil-Pump-Massey-Ferguson-41314078-135-150-154-4-154-4S-Ford-JCB-Perkins/282026238213?epid=1554830820&hash=item41aa12e105:g:AykAAOSwubRXKQfv

   May I ask you if there were any warning signs of the impending failure of your oil pump?  How many hours were on your engine when the meltdown happened?  I have the same engine in my Maramu and it now has a little over 4,100 hours.  It seems to be running perfectly, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t consume oil but I am noticing that the oil pressure warning buzzer sounds almost as soon as the engine is stopped.  I don’t know if this is normal on this engine or not.  I am planning to hook up a mechanical gauge to find out what the actual pressure is, I think that the relief valve is set at 30 psi.?  I would like to keep this engine healthy for as long as possible.  If any other Perkins 154 owners can provide any advice on what to look out for or how to care for an aging Perkins 154  it would be very much  appreciated.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
Arbatax,  Italy



Gesendet von Yahoo Mail für iPad

Am Dienstag, Oktober 31, 2017, 07:10 schrieb calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

 

I am looking for repair parts to rebuild the Perkins 60 HP diesel engine on Désirade VIII - Maramu N° 116 built 1982.

The engine gave up on me in Tenerife, went in a cloud of smoke as DO went down & mixed with lube oïl, due to faulty oïl pump (worn out - loss of oïl pressure) . 

I sourced suppliers to rebuild cylinder head & blocks, but have difficulty finding a replacement camshaft & tappets, as well as a lube oïl pump. 

I am now looking for one old Perkins M 4.154, laid up somewhere in the world (as close as possible to Europe would be best) to purchase & use for parts, then refit as spare, as I feel more confident to rebuild & run an old engine than to go for the new generation, driven by computers, to sail in out of the main sea-routes.

Interested to hear from you all who did replace your engines.

Fair winds (as I hope to return to the same)


christian Alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu # 116 - now in Marina Atlantico Santa Cruz de Tenerife.






Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Replacing AMFA Fresh Water System by Jabsco

Dan Carlson
 

Hi all,  following this discussion  and seeing all of the references to the GPM output to the pumps, but no one is talking about the pressure.  I don't know how accurate the gauge is on my AMFA pump but it shows a pressure of about 30 psi or 2 bar.  Some of the pumps discussed here are delivering 45 or 55 psi.  It is the pressure that peels the sunburn off in the shower and blows your hoses when they get old.  The GPM rating tells you how many of the faucets and showers you can run wide open before you get too much pressure drop.  

I currently, with my old AMFA, don't run my shower full blast and and don't have significant pressure drop when we are running both showers.  The pressure accumulator tank of course helps manage the pressure drop with the AMFA.

I would like to add to my spare pump inventory and the Whale pump looks attractive to me from a price point.  I am intrigued by the thought of the quick disconnects. It looks like it has good flow and I think that one was 45psi. 

Any other thoughts about the water pressure, or experiences with water line leaks or failure points?

Dan Carlson,
SM #387, sv BeBe



On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 2:15 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:
 

Fred,

 

Did you keep the accumulator tank? Or, does the tank remove the need for one?

 

 

With best regards,

 

Mark

 

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising – Carriacou

www.creampuff.us

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Saturday, November 4, 2017 10:02 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Replacing AMFA Fresh Water System by Jabsco

 

 

Hi,

 

I can add another piece of information to this thread.

I replaced the AMFA by a Whale pump Ref : FW1225        Whale Watermaster 3.0 GPM, 24 V d.c which was really easy to install including the connection of the wiring of the functioning green light.
It's  really smaller (save room around) cheaper (I have one in spare) and does perfectly the job of giving fresh water immediately where it's requested ;-)

Just a small work to do is to prepare the pipes connection in order to connect with the in and out part of the boat.

 

Link below :

 

All the best

Fred S/V ScentStone SM2K #375

Currently in Australia


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Replacing AMFA Fresh Water System by Jabsco

carcodespam@icloud.com <no_reply@...>
 

Warren,

I have bought Sharki #80 build in 1982 in April this year and I'm still working on it to make it a little bit better.
There are two systems to make warm water and this is not state of the art as for today. I have found a warm water boiler in the engine room to make warm water with the engine cooling system. So it works only when the engine is running. Another heater with 220 Volts connection is below the kitchen sink which works when shore power is available.
Modern warm water heaters as of today uses only one device like the boiler shown here from Quick. They get their heat from engine cooling system and/or from shore power as well. I will change this next year.
Actually I have changed already the Jabsco WC to the better Lavac Vacuum toilette and next I throw out the old Frigoboat fridge which has two compressors: One with shore power 220 volts and one compressor attached to the engine. I will build in a Coolmatic fridge with 12 volts only. My batteries are strong enough and the Sharki has 3 alternators.


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Iridium Go or Iridium 9555 with Red Port Optimiser

Sv Garulfo
 

Hi Bill,
Hope you and Karen are well.
After getting our iridium Go and reading your post, we decided to start with the same package as you (rather than unlimited) and see if it meets our needs.
It comes with 150minutes, and I was wondering if you found an efficient way to track your usage. All details on the web (phone / call etc.) seems to apply to the prepaid plans but not ours.
Any tips not to go over the monthly allowance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Best wishes
Soraya
& Thomas 
GARULFO, Amel 54#122
currently in Porto Santo, Madeira

On 2 October 2017 at 01:25, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:
 

Cameron,


We use an Iridium Go that  we got through Predictwind as part of our weather package.  We have been very happy both with PredictWind and the Iridium Go hardware and service. We like the robustness and portability of the Go hardware.

We rarely make satphone voice calls, but when we have had the need, they went through clearly and without a hitch.

While underway, I typically download a full set of gribs each morning, and update our weather routing morning and evening.  I post a blog update most days, and get the occasional email. We have never had any overages charge to our account when using the $94 monthly fee.  I wish I could tell you what that includes for data totals, but I can't find it right away.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Back Creek, Annapolis, MD


---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :



> On 1 Oct 2017, at 1:04 pm, Cameron Burness <cameronburness@...> wrote:
>
> All,
> As I mentioned previously my son and I have recently bought an Amel Sharki, #97, 1984.
> I am looking at our satellite comms and would appreciate the experience of the forum to help me make a decision.
> One unknown for me is what average connection time should I use for downloading weather files to help the decision on the air time package.
> I have narrowed down my sat comms options to the Iridium Go (marine bundle) and the Iridium 9555 with Red Port Optimiser.
>
> Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Cameron
>
>



Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Replacing AMFA Fresh Water System by Jabsco

Warren Traill
 

On the subject of hot water, we have only cold on our 1980 Sharki. Can anyone show me where and how the hot water tank would be set up on a Sharki? It would be great to have a hot shower!

Cheers,

Warren and Zetta.

Manon2

Sharki #15

Phuket

 

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, 5 November 2017 5:37 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Replacing AMFA Fresh Water System by Jabsco

 

 

Hi Mark,

 

I didn't keep the accumulator of the AMFA pump, just removed the whole thing and replaced by the Whale. I didn't notice any delay in the arrival of water… 

Of course the pump feeds as well the hot water tank.

As explained above, the green light on the 24V panel helps a lot at viewing possible losses in the water circuits and avoid emptying the water tank without notice - I think it's really useful

From our experience, the power of the Whale 24V is enough for fresh and hot water, kitchen or shower use.

 

I'm thinking at replacing the anchor washer Amfa pump by a simple device like this one but I'm still thinking at a more powerful one because washing the chain is really pressure dependant… Did a member already experience the replacement ? and which model or pressure is convenient ?

 

Best

Fred. S/V ScentStone SM2K #375

Currently in Australia

 


yacht swap.

zetta.traill@...
 

Hello fellow Amelians. We have been cruising the west coast of Thailand/ Malaysia for some time now and have no desire to cross oceans. We have been offered a 4 week boat swap with a friend who has his yacht in New Zealand. It got us thinking about the practicalities of such a swap and that ideally you would want to swap like for like and wondered if anyone with a Sharki would be interested in cruising these waters for a trade in the Med or Caribbean for example. 

We look forward to any thoughts.

Regards,

Warren and Zetta,

Manon2

Sharki #15

Phuket.


Re: Dinghy type and storage

Miles
 

This is a new topic.  Posted here because of bad connection from boat.
I am looking for someone to join me (and one other person) on Ladybug from Bermuda to Antigua and then on to Martinique. I will be in Bermuda tomorrow.  Mobile 1401 545 0931.  Boat email is WCY6946@.... Email while in Bermuda Milesbid@....  I want to leave Bermuda as soon as I have a 3rd person.  If you want to try an Amel Super Maramu, this is your chance.  Ladybug is superbly equipped and maintained (new motor, new rigging, etc).
Miles Bidwell


Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Perkins M 4.154 repairs

Alan Grayson
 

Hi James, I had a Perkins 4108 which had a leaking injector pump. 2 indications of a fault was the engine oil pressure dropped and the oil level rose on the dipstick, confirmed by diesel parts in Houston Texas when they rebuilt the pump. My engine had sat for 2 years between runs.
Regards
Alan Grayson
Hope to be new owner soon