Topics

175A alternator belts

ngtnewington Newington

The saga goes on. The belts for my 24v Leece Neville 175a alternator do not last and produce dust.
So I have been scratching my head....and coming to some conclusions....

But before I go on can someone with the 175a 24v twin belt pulley set up let me know what pulley diameters you are using and what width belt and if you use cogged belt with the idlers or not?
Nick
S/Y Amelia
Simi Greece
AML54-019

Bill Hall

Hi Nick

Have you checked the pully alignment?  Miss alignment will cause excessive belt wear

Hope this helps

Bill Hall
Looking to own an Amel

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 3:24 AM ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

The saga goes on. The belts for my 24v Leece Neville 175a alternator do not last and produce dust.
So I have been scratching my head....and coming to some conclusions....

 But before I go on can someone with the 175a 24v twin belt pulley set up let me know what pulley diameters you are using and what width belt and if you use cogged belt with the idlers or not?
Nick
S/Y Amelia
Simi Greece
AML54-019

ngtnewington Newington

I have adjusted the alignment and it is spot on.
My theory is that I have been using B section belts (17mm) and the alt pulley has 84mm diameter. (This was what was on the boat when I bought her in 2017.) and  according to belt specs The minimum diameter pulley should be 112mm.
Now Optibelt do a 17mm B section belt that can cope with 90mm pulley. I have ordered a pair but that is still larger than my 83mm.
If my theory is correct then I will have to machine the pulleys to accept 13mm belts such that they do not bottom out as 13mm belts can cope with smaller pulley diameters.
Alternatively get a 112mm pulley for the alternator but then pulley ratio will be close to 2:1 not 3:1
Or switch to a serpentine belt which involve new pulleys for both alternator and the engine.

So my first port of call is to find out what pulleys other Amel owners are using.
Nick
Amelia AML54-019
Simi Greece

On 13 Aug 2020, at 15:09, Bill Hall <billhall95688@...> wrote:

Hi Nick

Have you checked the pully alignment?  Miss alignment will cause excessive belt wear

Hope this helps

Bill Hall
Looking to own an Amel

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 3:24 AM ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

The saga goes on. The belts for my 24v Leece Neville 175a alternator do not last and produce dust.
So I have been scratching my head....and coming to some conclusions....

 But before I go on can someone with the 175a 24v twin belt pulley set up let me know what pulley diameters you are using and what width belt and if you use cogged belt with the idlers or not?
Nick
S/Y Amelia
Simi Greece
AML54-019

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

I got and tested the Optibelt pullys for 90mm discs.
And to be tightened over their back.

Did not change anything. Still dust and wear.

I will switch to serpentine belts. Can' t be worse.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54#39
Martinique

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020, 08:25 ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Alan Leslie

We have the 175A LN alternator on a Yanmar 4JH3TE with double pulleys on the LN Alternator, and single on the 12V alternator.
All three belts are the same... Dayco cogged belts, no idlers, A section belts
Sorry not on the boat can't give you the specs, but they're probably on file on the site somewhere
I'll check tomorrow
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

The belts are A section, Yanmar number is 25132-004600, generic A46.

I have found that Dayco cogged belts last longer than standard V-belts. The dual belts on the LN 175A alternator and the single belt for the waterpump and 12 v alterntaor are the same size on the standard Amel set up.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Scott SV Tengah

My A54 has the Mastervolt 110 and a single Volvo serpentine belt. We have over 500 hours on the current belt and it looks new. By saying that I'm sure it will break tomorrow!

If there's any way you can adapt your setup to use the serpentine, that may solve your problem?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Lior Keydar

Dear Nick

My hull nr. is #18... As I bought the boat, I also had the 175A alternator and it was the same problem.
There was also  a package from Amel with a replacement to this alternator. Mastervolt 110A and its regulator. In order to install the new alternator, you have to release the Volvo Engine from its place and connect the alternator on the left side of the engine. At this solution, you use the same belt that is used for the sea water pump.
It is not such a simple solution but if you are interested, AMEL will be for sure able to help you with more information.

Lior
Sharona, A54 #18