1981 Maramu pre-survey

Ben Levy

Good day lucky Amel owners.
I am about to buy my first Amel, an original maramu from 1981 (hull 98). I am having a 2nd viewing of the boat tomorrow and I was wondering if any maramu owner (or former owner), had any advices regarding critical components to check or any important systems to look at? I will have a professional survey done once I have signed the sell agreement but I will first have to settle on a price. The boat is in really good neck for its age but being 40, there must be some components being ready to give up on life. Anyway, any advices would be most welcome as amel yachts are one of a kind.
Cheers,
Ben

Roque

Hi Ben

I am sure a few Maramu owners will bring several sugestions here.

Besides that, if I was buying an Amel I would certainly talk to Bill Rouse first.

He will answer all your questions and then some. He will either save some money or steer you away from a headache desguised as a boat.

Hope it helps

--
Roque
Attika A54 117

Larry Salibra

Hi Ben,

I'd highly recommend Bill Rouse's pre-purchase consulting package. He'll give you a list of pictures to take of the vessel and go through each of them and flag any issues that might exist. I worked with him throughout Sula's purchase and he enabled me to complete the purchase with peace of mind.

Larry
SM140, Sula
Hong Kong

Dennis Johns

Hi Ben,

The things you should worry about the most are those things that the previous owner(s) changed.  An '81 Maramu should be pretty basic Amel and if there were modifications, that's where problems may occur.  Without pictures of the boat it's hard to identify changes.  Are there pictures or a broker site to look at?

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 3:45 PM Ben Levy <benjamin.levy@...> wrote:
Good day lucky Amel owners.
I am about to buy my first Amel, an original maramu from 1981 (hull 98). I am having a 2nd viewing of the boat tomorrow and I was wondering if any maramu owner (or former owner), had any advices regarding critical components to check or any important systems to look at? I will have a professional survey done once I have signed the sell agreement but I will first have to settle on a price. The boat is in really good neck for its age but being 40, there must be some components being ready to give up on life. Anyway, any advices would be most welcome as amel yachts are one of a kind.
Cheers,
Ben

Ben Levy

Thank you for all your reply.
Bill Rouse's pre-purchase consulting package seems like an amazing idea. Unfortunately it seems like he is no longer offering this service for Amel's older than 1988 (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Here is a link to a photo album with photos of the maramu. A mixed bag of photos we took during our first visit and the photos provided by the broker.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vRXr1HNfMZGYdULH6

And here is the listing from the broker (in French though):
https://www.annoncesbateau.com/bateau/1981-amel-maramu-5016467/

What I could see is the following:
the lining inside is coming unglue in places (aesthetic)
the gooseneck of the mizzen is coming loose (critical)
the varnish near ONE window is pilling off (aesthetic)
I was wondering about the bolts for the winch and the stoppers showing up on top of the lining
The engine has nearly 7000h and is original

Couldn't find much else to complain about but I didn't take everything apart either.. planning on doing that during the next visit (which is now scheduled for Saturday).

I also know that in 2000 it went trough an extensive anti-osmosis treatment from a professional company (traitement curatif par pelage du gelcoat ... pealing of the gelcoat?)
In 2010, the mast was removed to fix an issue of electrolysis at the bottom of the mast (between the mast and the deck of the boat)
The in-mast furling was added in 2004
Fridge replaced in 2003
One blackwater tank added in 2010

That's about all I know at this stage.
Cheers,
Ben

marklesparkle59

That lools so much like a large version of Sea Hobo my 1983 Sharki. One area of weakness is the aft bulkhead behind the stirage bins at the bottom of the mizzen. The bins can easily block up and stay wet or even fill and any weakness in construction or poor repair leads to the 9mm plywood bulkhead eventually rotting. I know because I replaced mine 2 years ago and now clean the drainage holes every visit.
Good luck.

Mark Porter
Sea Hobo
Sharki #96

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021, 09:25 Ben Levy, <benjamin.levy@...> wrote:
[...]

JB Duler

Ben,

I can certainly help. Last I bought a 1977 Meltem, very similar build and same equipment.
I went through everything and I will help you.
What is your time zone?
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Alex BAIZEAU

Hey Ben,

We visited that boat this summer, it seemed indeed to be in good shape for its age but in our opinion the fact that the standing rigging, the engine, the sails, the electronics, and some of the running rigging, although serviceable were all due (age or hours wise) for an upgrade wasn’t priced in we decided to pass.

We ended up buying a younger Maramu with a replaced engine, more recent sails, and the Nirvana mast in mast furlers for less.

The current boat inventory might be different so take it with a grain of salt

We hired Bill Rouse and he would tell you to not overpay for that boat and to get it surveyed by Olivier Beaute as you are in France.

Good Luck

Alex

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 9:34 AM marklesparkle59 <marklesparkle59@...> wrote:
[...]

Arlo

It looks like it has been well loved. However check the followong...
* Wiring, does it look like a rats nest or original neatly wired?
* Look in the anchor locker under the forward deck where the chain is kept. Is it wet and delaminating ?
* check for wood rot under the mizzen mast right above the packing box and inside walls under the mizzen mast about deck height. Look inside the two lockers. Its a llace prone for water incursion
* check the bonding system. Is it in good condition? If not look for electrolysis on running gear including the stern tube
* check overall wiring connections, are any in the engine room green or corroded? * that varnish peeling near the window may be a leaky window. Go around all windows and hatches with a hose and test them.
* Check ALL through hulls. Dont assume if the handle turns that it is acrually operating the through hulls

Just a start of "other things" to look for.....

Ben Levy

Speaking of which, anyone is able to give me an estimation of the costs to replace:
The standing rigging
The running rigging
The sails
The masts

I understand that ot will vary from one part of the world to another one, but just to have an idea.

Cheers

Lance Leonard

We own hull#135. On the hard in Maine right now undergoing a repower. I would check for water intrusion under the aft berth and around the salon port lights. We don’t have in mast furling so not much I can say there. The original Amel main power switch was problematic on our boat. Mostly due I think because of some  under size and hinkey wiring. The Perkins has been reliable until recently (exhaust in the freshwater cooling). Definitely pay for an oil analysis, this would have saved us a 30k repower. Also the 4.154 has no glow plugs, it uses a heater in the intake manifold, make sure it’s working properly if you plan to sail in higher latitudes.The aft head was a direct overboard installation so we added an electro scan (which I don’t recommend in brackish water). I don’t know the age of your rigging, but check for candy striping. Pull the access cover on the water tank and check for goo (access in back of galley table). As we are repowering I have new in the box spares if you decide to keep the Perkins. PM me for details.

Ben,

Yes, I have recently limited the Amel range that I will perform a Pre-Purchase Review to 1988 and later Amels. In the last 12 months, I have been hired by over 50 clients to help them through the process of identifying the "good and bad" things with the Amel that they are looking at. I also quantify the cost to make the Amel good again with my "Summary of Corrections Estimate Spreadsheet." Here are 2 examples of these spreadsheets:(Refit of $42k Spreadsheet) (Refit of $88k Spreadsheet). Maybe these samples can help you with your purchase. You should also visit my website for Before You Buy Pre-Purchase for plenty of good information for Buyers and Sellers. Additionally, I offer 1-hour of Free Consulting. You can certainly take advantage of that.

I hope that you understand that I needed to limit the number of Pre-Purchase Reviews. I had two choices: Raise the price, or limit the range. I refuse to raise the price because this is a needed service.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 3:25 AM Ben Levy <benjamin.levy@...> wrote:
[...]

James Alton

Hello,

  I am the owner of Maramu #220 and have the original Perkins engine.  If your engine spares are for the Series 200 model of the 4-154 I am interested  if they if they are not already spoken for.

   We love our 1987 Maramu.  We have looked at some of the earlier Maramu's and have been impressed by the build quality.

James and Joann
SV Sueno
Currently in Vonista Greece