1981 Maramu pre-survey

Ben Levy

Good day lucky Amel owners.
I am about to buy my first Amel, an original maramu from 1981 (hull 98). I am having a 2nd viewing of the boat tomorrow and I was wondering if any maramu owner (or former owner), had any advices regarding critical components to check or any important systems to look at? I will have a professional survey done once I have signed the sell agreement but I will first have to settle on a price. The boat is in really good neck for its age but being 40, there must be some components being ready to give up on life. Anyway, any advices would be most welcome as amel yachts are one of a kind.
Cheers,
Ben

Roque

Hi Ben

I am sure a few Maramu owners will bring several sugestions here. 

Besides that, if I was buying an Amel I would certainly talk to Bill Rouse first. 

He will answer all your questions and then some. He will either save some money or steer you away from a headache desguised as a boat. 

Hope it helps

--
Roque
Attika A54 117
Paraty - Brazil

Larry Salibra

Hi Ben,

I'd highly recommend Bill Rouse's pre-purchase consulting package. He'll give you a list of pictures to take of the vessel and go through each of them and flag any issues that might exist. I worked with him throughout Sula's purchase and he enabled me to complete the purchase with peace of mind.

Larry
SM140, Sula
Hong Kong

Dennis Johns

Hi Ben,

The things you should worry about the most are those things that the previous owner(s) changed.  An '81 Maramu should be pretty basic Amel and if there were modifications, that's where problems may occur.  Without pictures of the boat it's hard to identify changes.  Are there pictures or a broker site to look at?

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 3:45 PM Ben Levy <benjamin.levy@...> wrote:
Good day lucky Amel owners.
I am about to buy my first Amel, an original maramu from 1981 (hull 98). I am having a 2nd viewing of the boat tomorrow and I was wondering if any maramu owner (or former owner), had any advices regarding critical components to check or any important systems to look at? I will have a professional survey done once I have signed the sell agreement but I will first have to settle on a price. The boat is in really good neck for its age but being 40, there must be some components being ready to give up on life. Anyway, any advices would be most welcome as amel yachts are one of a kind.
Cheers,
Ben

Ben Levy

Thank you for all your reply.
Bill Rouse's pre-purchase consulting package seems like an amazing idea. Unfortunately it seems like he is no longer offering this service for Amel's older than 1988 (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Here is a link to a photo album with photos of the maramu. A mixed bag of photos we took during our first visit and the photos provided by the broker.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vRXr1HNfMZGYdULH6

And here is the listing from the broker (in French though):
https://www.annoncesbateau.com/bateau/1981-amel-maramu-5016467/

What I could see is the following:
the lining inside is coming unglue in places (aesthetic)
the gooseneck of the mizzen is coming loose (critical)
the varnish near ONE window is pilling off (aesthetic)
I was wondering about the bolts for the winch and the stoppers showing up on top of the lining 
The engine has nearly 7000h and is original 

Couldn't find much else to complain about but I didn't take everything apart either.. planning on doing that during the next visit (which is now scheduled for Saturday).

I also know that in 2000 it went trough an extensive anti-osmosis treatment from a professional company (traitement curatif par pelage du gelcoat ... pealing of the gelcoat?)
In 2010, the mast was removed to fix an issue of electrolysis at the bottom of the mast (between the mast and the deck of the boat)
The in-mast furling was added in 2004
Fridge replaced in 2003
One blackwater tank added in 2010

That's about all I know at this stage.
Cheers,
Ben

marklesparkle59

That lools so much like a large version of Sea Hobo my 1983 Sharki. One area of weakness is the aft bulkhead behind the stirage bins at the bottom of the mizzen. The bins can easily block up and stay wet or even fill and any weakness in construction or poor repair leads to the 9mm plywood bulkhead eventually rotting. I know because I replaced mine 2 years ago and now clean the drainage holes every visit.
Good luck.

Mark Porter
Sea Hobo
Sharki #96

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021, 09:25 Ben Levy, <benjamin.levy@...> wrote:
Bill Rouse's pre-purchase consulting package seems like an amazing idea. Unfortunately it seems like he is no longer offering this service for Amel's older than 1988 (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Here is a link to a photo album with photos of the maramu. A mixed bag of photos we took during our first visit and the photos provided by the broker.

I was wondering about the bolts for the winch and the stoppers showing up on top of the lining 

Couldn't find much else to complain about but I didn't take everything apart either.. planning on doing that during the next visit (which is now scheduled for Saturday).

I also know that in 2000 it went trough an extensive anti-osmosis treatment from a professional company (traitement curatif par pelage du gelcoat ... pealing of the gelcoat?)
In 2010, the mast was removed to fix an issue of electrolysis at the bottom of the mast (between the mast and the deck of the boat)
Fridge replaced in 2003

Cheers,
Ben

JB Duler

Ben,

I can certainly help. Last I bought a 1977 Meltem, very similar build and same equipment.
I went through everything and I will help you.
What is your time zone?
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco
Meltem # 19, Western Med

Alex BAIZEAU

Hey Ben,

We visited that boat this summer, it seemed indeed to be in good shape for its age but in our opinion the fact that the standing rigging, the engine, the sails, the electronics, and some of the running rigging, although serviceable were all due (age or hours wise) for an upgrade wasn’t priced in we decided to pass.

We ended up buying a younger Maramu with a replaced engine, more recent sails, and the Nirvana mast in mast furlers for less. 

The current boat inventory might be different so take it with a grain of salt 

We hired Bill Rouse and he would tell you to not overpay for that boat and to get it surveyed by Olivier Beaute as you are in France.

Good Luck 

Alex 

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 9:34 AM marklesparkle59 <marklesparkle59@...> wrote:
That lools so much like a large version of Sea Hobo my 1983 Sharki. One area of weakness is the aft bulkhead behind the stirage bins at the bottom of the mizzen. The bins can easily block up and stay wet or even fill and any weakness in construction or poor repair leads to the 9mm plywood bulkhead eventually rotting. I know because I replaced mine 2 years ago and now clean the drainage holes every visit.
Good luck.

Mark Porter
Sea Hobo
Sharki #96

Fridge replaced in 2003

Cheers,
Ben

Arlo

It looks like it has been well loved. However check the followong...
* Wiring, does it look like a rats nest or original neatly wired?
* Look in the anchor locker under the forward deck where the chain is kept. Is it wet and delaminating ?
* check for wood rot under the mizzen mast right above the packing box and inside walls under the mizzen mast about deck height. Look inside the two lockers. Its a llace prone for water incursion 
* check the bonding system. Is it in good condition? If not look for electrolysis on running gear including the stern tube
* check overall wiring connections, are any in the engine room green or corroded? * that varnish peeling near the window may be a leaky window. Go around all windows and hatches with a hose and test them.
* Check ALL through hulls. Dont assume if the handle turns that it is acrually operating the through hulls

Just a start of "other things" to look for.....

Ben Levy

Speaking of which, anyone is able to give me an estimation of the costs to replace:
The standing rigging 
The running rigging
The sails
The masts

I understand that ot will vary from one part of the world to another one, but just to have an idea. 

Cheers 

Lance Leonard

We own hull#135. On the hard in Maine right now undergoing a repower. I would check for water intrusion under the aft berth and around the salon port lights. We don’t have in mast furling so not much I can say there. The original Amel main power switch was problematic on our boat. Mostly due I think because of some  under size and hinkey wiring. The Perkins has been reliable until recently (exhaust in the freshwater cooling). Definitely pay for an oil analysis, this would have saved us a 30k repower. Also the 4.154 has no glow plugs, it uses a heater in the intake manifold, make sure it’s working properly if you plan to sail in higher latitudes.The aft head was a direct overboard installation so we added an electro scan (which I don’t recommend in brackish water). I don’t know the age of your rigging, but check for candy striping. Pull the access cover on the water tank and check for goo (access in back of galley table). As we are repowering I have new in the box spares if you decide to keep the Perkins. PM me for details.

Ben,

Yes, I have recently limited the Amel range that I will perform a Pre-Purchase Review to 1988 and later Amels. In the last 12 months, I have been hired by over 50 clients to help them through the process of identifying the "good and bad" things with the Amel that they are looking at. I also quantify the cost to make the Amel good again with my "Summary of Corrections Estimate Spreadsheet." Here are 2 examples of these spreadsheets:(Refit of $42k Spreadsheet) (Refit of $88k Spreadsheet). Maybe these samples can help you with your purchase. You should also visit my website for Before You Buy Pre-Purchase for plenty of good information for Buyers and Sellers. Additionally, I offer 1-hour of Free Consulting. You can certainly take advantage of that.

I hope that you understand that I needed to limit the number of Pre-Purchase Reviews. I had two choices: Raise the price, or limit the range. I refuse to raise the price because this is a needed service.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 3:25 AM Ben Levy <benjamin.levy@...> wrote:

Fridge replaced in 2003

Cheers,
Ben

James Alton

Hello,

I am the owner of Maramu #220 and have the original Perkins engine.  If your engine spares are for the Series 200 model of the 4-154 I am interested  if they if they are not already spoken for.  

We love our 1987 Maramu.  We have looked at some of the earlier Maramu's and have been impressed by the build quality.

James and Joann
SV Sueno
Currently in Vonista Greece

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/6/21 7:51 PM (GMT+02:00)
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] 1981 Maramu pre-survey

We own hull#135. On the hard in Maine right now undergoing a repower. I would check for water intrusion under the aft berth and around the salon port lights. We don’t have in mast furling so not much I can say there. The original Amel main power switch was problematic on our boat. Mostly due I think because of some  under size and hinkey wiring. The Perkins has been reliable until recently (exhaust in the freshwater cooling). Definitely pay for an oil analysis, this would have saved us a 30k repower. Also the 4.154 has no glow plugs, it uses a heater in the intake manifold, make sure it’s working properly if you plan to sail in higher latitudes.The aft head was a direct overboard installation so we added an electro scan (which I don’t recommend in brackish water). I don’t know the age of your rigging, but check for candy striping. Pull the access cover on the water tank and check for goo (access in back of galley table). As we are repowering I have new in the box spares if you decide to keep the Perkins. PM me for details.

Dennis Johns

I can see a couple of things from the pictures:

1) Bow thruster is not Amel, so you need to find out the maintenance schedule for that.
2) The in-mast furling is probably not Amel, so you will need to find out the source for that equipment and the maintenance schedule (in mast furling motors and gears seem to appear on the owners site often).
3)  The back stay has been modified -I would be concerned about the mounting points (chainplates?)
4)  Looks like a single purchase on the main sheet to the boom.  As the 2004 refit included in-mast furling, I assume the boom is new.  My boom broke in half on our shake down cruise due to metal fatigue at that mid-boom single purchase.  I'd add one or more blocks to the boom.
5)  Could not see the windlass.  If it's original, it's 40+ years old and will probably need service or replacement soon.
6)  Older/outdated electronics may need upgrades and did not see much in the cockpit dash (radar, radio remote, autopilot).
7)  I didn't see a liferaft?

Comments on your comments:
1)  Failed headliner happened with every Maramu.  It's just a question of how you fix it.  The best ways are usually the most expensive and time consuming.
2)  Looks like the gooseneck is ok but the mizzen boom bracket needs new rivets -not a big deal
3)  Pealing varnish around window is more likely from sun exposure than a leak -not uncommon.
4)  Bolts on headliner are a result of running rigging being run back to the cockpit -they were originally only run to the base of the mast (I have the same on my boat)   Should not be an issue as they are in a corner and not in a traffic area.
5)  I just repowered.  My 4-154 had 11,000 hours on it and was still running just fine.  Got a deal on a new Volvo-Penta engine and just went for it.  7,000 hrs is only middle age but have a mechanic do a proper evaluation and then change the oil every 100 hrs.

The interior looked mostly original to me and in good shape.

Possible issues:
Bilge pump(s):  Looks like you have the original two.  Make sure the high water bilge pump audible alarm works..
Fresh water tank:  If it has been standing with water in it, it will need to be power-washed and chlorinated -need to remove the dining table and access panels for this.
Someone already mentioned the through hulls but that should be covered by the surveyor.
Holding tank:  Is the macerator mounted low to the tank or high?  If high, it will fail because it does not like to draw to prime.
Fuel tank.  My stainless steel tank was just replaced because of leaks after 40 years.  They don't last forever.  It can be removed/replaced through the companionway -don't let anyone tell you it can't.
Engine spare parts:  The ones I found most critical (stopped us from going anywhere) were starter motor and raw water pump.  Malfunctioning ones can be rebuilt but it's a lot easier to just swap them out and wait for a convenient time to have them fixed/replaced.

Dennis

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 1:25 AM Ben Levy <benjamin.levy@...> wrote:

Fridge replaced in 2003

Cheers,
Ben

Eric Freedman

Bex,

I would use Olivier to survey the boat if you are serious about buying it.

He it the unquestionable expert on AMELS.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Alex BAIZEAU
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 5:22 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

Hey Ben,

We visited that boat this summer, it seemed indeed to be in good shape for its age but in our opinion the fact that the standing rigging, the engine, the sails, the electronics, and some of the running rigging, although serviceable were all due (age or hours wise) for an upgrade wasn’t priced in we decided to pass.

We ended up buying a younger Maramu with a replaced engine, more recent sails, and the Nirvana mast in mast furlers for less. 

The current boat inventory might be different so take it with a grain of salt 

We hired Bill Rouse and he would tell you to not overpay for that boat and to get it surveyed by Olivier Beaute as you are in France.

Good Luck 

Alex 

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 9:34 AM marklesparkle59 <marklesparkle59@...> wrote:

Good luck.

Mark Porter

Sea Hobo

Sharki #96

Fridge replaced in 2003

Cheers,
Ben

Steve Hoefel

Own Maramu #25 and have the same behind the mast in-mast furling on the boat you are considering.  Bamar is the company that did the installation, mine is manually raised via lines running to the cockpit.  Denis hit most of the subjects I saw, but an additional three would be:

1. Check Diesel Heater in the cockpit above the deep locker
  2. Replacement refrigerator is smaller than the 4.2cu feet original.  Water or air cooled.  I didn’t see a compressor in the engine room so probably air cooled.  Where is the compressor?
  3. During your on the water survey check/discuss the passive prop shaft generator

Good luck with the sale.  Maramus forever!!

Steve Hoefel

s/v Trident Star

Maramu #25

Sent from Mail for Windows

James Alton

Steve,
   Another very Happy Maramu owner here.  I was wondering if you would be willing to spare some of your experience  with the Maramu diesel heater?  My wife and I will wintering in the Med this year so things will be much improved if we can get a heater running on our boat.  Our boat appears to have the original Eberspacher D4 diesel heater.  I have no experience with this type of heater so any advice is appreciated.  I have not tried the heater yet to see if it works.  Perhaps the first question is whether  a 1987 heater potentially serviceable/desirable or should I be ordering a new unit?  I don't mind doing some service work but I would like to ultimately end up with a reliable unit.  If a new unit, can anyone suggest the best option for a Maramu?  Thanks for any help.
Thanks,
James Alton

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 5:34 PM, Steve Hoefel
<shoefel48@...> wrote:

Own Maramu #25 and have the same behind the mast in-mast furling on the boat you are considering.  Bamar is the company that did the installation, mine is manually raised via lines running to the cockpit.  Denis hit most of the subjects I saw, but an additional three would be:

2. Replacement refrigerator is smaller than the 4.2cu feet original.  Water or air cooled.  I didn’t see a compressor in the engine room so probably air cooled.  Where is the compressor?
  3. During your on the water survey check/discuss the passive prop shaft generator

Steve Hoefel

s/v Trident Star

Maramu #25

marklesparkle59

Hi James, my 1983 D4 still works,we just had to change the glow plug and off it went after at least 6 years un used. The exhaust has been repaired at some stage with a car repair kit. But it works well.
Mark Porter 
Sea Hobo Sharki #96

Mark Porter

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021, 17:54 James Alton via groups.io, <lokiyawl2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Steve,
   Another very Happy Maramu owner here.  I was wondering if you would be willing to spare some of your experience  with the Maramu diesel heater?  My wife and I will wintering in the Med this year so things will be much improved if we can get a heater running on our boat.  Our boat appears to have the original Eberspacher D4 diesel heater.  I have no experience with this type of heater so any advice is appreciated.  I have not tried the heater yet to see if it works.  Perhaps the first question is whether  a 1987 heater potentially serviceable/desirable or should I be ordering a new unit?  I don't mind doing some service work but I would like to ultimately end up with a reliable unit.  If a new unit, can anyone suggest the best option for a Maramu?  Thanks for any help.
Thanks,
James Alton
Maramu #220 Sueno

<shoefel48@...> wrote:

Steve Hoefel

s/v Trident Star

Maramu #25

James Alton

Mark,

Many thanks for the inspiration to look into rebuilding our D4.  I hope to remove and inspect it over the weekend.    Would you happen to know if service parts are still available for these older D4 heaters?  

BTW, there seem to be quite a few Sharki's in the Preveza Greece area, really nice boats!

Best,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

-----Original Message-----
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Oct 7, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi James, my 1983 D4 still works,we just had to change the glow plug and off it went after at least 6 years un used. The exhaust has been repaired at some stage with a car repair kit. But it works well.
Mark Porter 
Sea Hobo Sharki #96

Mark Porter

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021, 17:54 James Alton via groups.io, <lokiyawl2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Steve,
Thanks,
James Alton
Maramu #220 Sueno

<shoefel48@...> wrote:

Steve Hoefel
s/v Trident Star
Maramu #25

Steve Hoefel

James,

Have owned my Maramu for 19 years in Greek waters.  Can’t seem to escape heaven.  My heater has not worked for the last three years, I am going to check out this glow plug recommendation.  Like most systems on a Maramu, I think the heater is essentially bulletproof.  Thermostat for the heater is in the aft cabin above the bunk.   Maramus forever…

v/r

Steve