220 volt microwave replacement in SM

Kevin Schmit

I’m looking to purchase a new 220 volt microwave that fits in our SM microwave cabinet (approx 23”x13.5”x15”). Has anyone replaced theirs here in the USA and if so which model fits in the space without too much customization?
--
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362
Currently in Brunswick, GA

Mark McGovern

Kevin,

We purchased this one:  https://www.220togo.com/whirlpool_25_liter_microwave_with_grill_756

It fits the space almost perfectly and requires no modification to the shelf or mount in order to secure it.  The only issue is the plug is not the same so you either have to re-terminate it or use an adapter to plug it in.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Belfast, ME USA

Bill Kinney

Kevin,

In addition to 220togo.com, that Mark quotes above, another source for 220V small appliances for boats based in 120V countries is amazon.co.uk  Most things ship quickly to the USA, and they have a wide selection, as you would expect.  We have used both depending on who has what in stock at the time.

I suspect the same might be true for the French Amazon outlet, but I am not conversant enough in French to have that be a help to me!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA, USA

Ian Townsend

We get our 220v appliances in the USA from www.Eastwestintl.com or 
www.220-electronics.com/220-volt-appliances.html

Ian
Loca Lola II
SM153
West Palm Beach, FL

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2021-11-19 8:47 a.m. (GMT-05:00)
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] 220 volt microwave replacement in SM

Kevin,

In addition to 220togo.com, that Mark quotes above, another source for 220V small appliances for boats based in 120V countries is amazon.co.uk  Most things ship quickly to the USA, and they have a wide selection, as you would expect.  We have used both depending on who has what in stock at the time.

I suspect the same might be true for the French Amazon outlet, but I am not conversant enough in French to have that be a help to me!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA, USA

Mark Erdos

We replaced ours with a confection toaster oven. I can count on one hand how often we used the microwave. Now we have a vastly expanded menu thanks this.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Schmit
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2021 4:06 PM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] 220 volt microwave replacement in SM

I’m looking to purchase a new 220 volt microwave that fits in our SM microwave cabinet (approx 23”x13.5”x15”). Has anyone replaced theirs here in the USA and if so which model fits in the space without too much customization?
--
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Marc

We also rarely use our microwave but my wife would love to get a real heating oven instead. 
Can you please let me know what brand of convection oven you installed and what are the measures?

Thanks and best regards 
Ruedi
WASABI, A54#55
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 21.11.2021 um 12:59 schrieb Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...>:

We replaced ours with a confection toaster oven. I can count on one hand how often we used the microwave. Now we have a vastly expanded menu thanks this.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Schmit
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2021 4:06 PM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] 220 volt microwave replacement in SM

--
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

Nick Newington

Maybe it is a generational thing but we hardly ever use the microwave. I sometimes use the grill function but if I had an electric fan oven/grill then for sure we would use it. 

We could be in the market for a replacement.

What about heat dispersion? I guess one does not want to install a unit that just fits.

Does anyone know the size of the compartment on the 54?

On the subject of unused equipment; we never use the dishwasher….waste of valuable galley real estate IMHO. Maybe get rid of the dishwasher and install  a good combi oven, then use the microwave space as a custom plate rack…..food for thought...

All the best

Nick

S/Y Amelia

AML 54-019 Leros

On 21 Nov 2021, at 05:58, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Schmit
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2021 4:06 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] 220 volt microwave replacement in SM

-- 
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Nick

Absolutely right and thanks for the food for thought…

We checked dozens of products/possibilities for a fan oven/grill but the MW-space for those units is just too small, because of extra air space needed re heat dispersion.

The Dishwasher compartment could be an option on the length, but still need space on both side and maybe also too small. Need to check.

Thanks and best regards

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Almerimar

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von "ngtnewington Newington via groups.io" <ngtnewington@...>
Antworten an: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Datum: Sonntag, 21. November 2021 um 11:17
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] 220 volt microwave replacement in SM

Maybe it is a generational thing but we hardly ever use the microwave. I sometimes use the grill function but if I had an electric fan oven/grill then for sure we would use it. 

What about heat dispersion? I guess one does not want to install a unit that just fits.

On the subject of unused equipment; we never use the dishwasher….waste of valuable galley real estate IMHO. Maybe get rid of the dishwasher and install  a good combi oven, then use the microwave space as a custom plate rack…..food for thought...

All the best

Nick

S/Y Amelia

AML 54-019 Leros

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Schmit

-- 
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

Peter Forbes

This is very interesting- we have never used our microwave (not once) and the combi electric oven/toaster is a really good thought.

Peter Forbes
Carango 54-035
Lymington UK

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 at 10:42, Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:

Hi Nick

We checked dozens of products/possibilities for a fan oven/grill but the MW-space for those units is just too small, because of extra air space needed re heat dispersion.

The Dishwasher compartment could be an option on the length, but still need space on both side and maybe also too small. Need to check.

Thanks and best regards

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Almerimar

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von "ngtnewington Newington via groups.io" <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io>

All the best

Nick

S/Y Amelia

AML 54-019 Leros

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

-- 
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

--
Best wishes
Peter Forbes
+44 (0) 7836 209730

Michael Winand

We replaced the gas oven with the 
Whirlpool jt479 
I removed the gas oven from under the the gas burners, I know it sounds complicated but it was simple, still having gas hobs with the electric oven works well. It is gimbaled using the existing system. Can use a induction hob on top if required. 
This oven does everything really well. 
It won't fit in the existing space for the old aeg microwave, grill. 
We now have the extra space. 

Michael Nebo sm251 

On Sun, 21 Nov 2021, 11:27 pm Peter Forbes, <ppsforbes@...> wrote:
This is very interesting- we have never used our microwave (not once) and the combi electric oven/toaster is a really good thought.

Peter Forbes
Carango 54-035
Lymington UK

Hi Nick

Thanks and best regards

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Almerimar

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von "ngtnewington Newington via groups.io" <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io>

All the best

Nick

S/Y Amelia

AML 54-019 Leros

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

-- 
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

--
Best wishes
Peter Forbes
+44 (0) 7836 209730

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Michael, 
That sounds really nice. I assume you have the Original two gas burner ? 
Do you have some photos of the installation of the combi oven and the induction on top?

Regards 
Eric & Els Opdeweegh
sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Holland 

Op 21 nov. 2021 om 23:42 heeft Michael Winand <mickwinand@...> het volgende geschreven:

Whirlpool jt479 
I removed the gas oven from under the the gas burners, I know it sounds complicated but it was simple, still having gas hobs with the electric oven works well. It is gimbaled using the existing system. Can use a induction hob on top if required. 

Michael Nebo sm251 

Peter Forbes
Carango 54-035
Lymington UK

Hi Nick

Thanks and best regards

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Almerimar

All the best

Nick

S/Y Amelia

AML 54-019 Leros

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

-- 
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

--
Best wishes
Peter Forbes
+44 (0) 7836 209730

<20211122_093240.jpg>

Michael Winand

Hi Eric   we have a portable induction plate   sometimes we used it out in the cockpit. It just sits on the bench top or the gas top.
Michael Nebo sm251 

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021, 10:12 am EricOpdeweegh, <sv.abayomi@...> wrote:
Hi Michael, 
Do you have some photos of the installation of the combi oven and the induction on top?

Regards 
Eric & Els Opdeweegh
sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Holland 

Op 21 nov. 2021 om 23:42 heeft Michael Winand <mickwinand@...> het volgende geschreven:

Whirlpool jt479 

Michael Nebo sm251 

Peter Forbes
Carango 54-035
Lymington UK

Hi Nick

Thanks and best regards

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Almerimar

All the best

Nick

S/Y Amelia

AML 54-019 Leros

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

-- 
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

--
Best wishes
Peter Forbes
+44 (0) 7836 209730

<20211122_093240.jpg>

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Michael, 
Thanks for your reply. 
Where are you stationed ?
Would love to see some photos of your set-up with the combi oven . 

Regards 
Eric & Els Opdeweegh
sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Holland 

Op 22 nov. 2021 om 06:35 heeft Michael Winand <mickwinand@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hi Eric   we have a portable induction plate   sometimes we used it out in the cockpit. It just sits on the bench top or the gas top.
Michael Nebo sm251 

Hi Michael, 

Regards 
Eric & Els Opdeweegh
sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Holland 

Whirlpool jt479 

Michael Nebo sm251 

Peter Forbes
Carango 54-035
Lymington UK

Hi Nick

Thanks and best regards

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Almerimar

All the best

Nick

S/Y Amelia

AML 54-019 Leros

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

-- 
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

--
Best wishes
Peter Forbes
+44 (0) 7836 209730

<20211122_093240.jpg>

<20211122_163117.jpg>

Michael Winand

Eric we are currently on the nsw coast heading to Melbourne  Australia 

Regards Michael Nebo sm251 

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021, 6:40 pm EricOpdeweegh, <sv.abayomi@...> wrote:
Hi Michael, 
Thanks for your reply. 

Regards 
Eric & Els Opdeweegh
sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Holland 

Op 22 nov. 2021 om 06:35 heeft Michael Winand <mickwinand@...> het volgende geschreven:

Michael Nebo sm251 

Hi Michael, 

Regards 
Eric & Els Opdeweegh
sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Holland 

Whirlpool jt479 

Michael Nebo sm251 

Peter Forbes
Carango 54-035
Lymington UK

Hi Nick

Thanks and best regards

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Almerimar

All the best

Nick

S/Y Amelia

AML 54-019 Leros

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

-- 
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

--
Best wishes
Peter Forbes
+44 (0) 7836 209730

<20211122_093240.jpg>

<20211122_163117.jpg>

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Michael,

Wauw that is great.

I was in NE  from Cairns and did a 10 day liveaboard some years ago with Mike Ball . Fantastic

Also was down near near Townsville diving on the SS Malongo.  Super dive with all that the GB reef offers in one dive

Anyway enjoy

Fair winds

Eric  ( and Els) Opdeweegh

Sv Abayomi SM 158

Mr. P. C. Vermaatlaan 17

3176 XC Poortugaal (Rotterdam) The Netherlands

Phone  +31621240217

Email     sv.abayomi@...

Van: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> Namens Michael Winand
Verzonden: maandag 22 november 2021 10:18
Aan: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Onderwerp: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] 220 volt microwave replacement in SM

Eric we are currently on the nsw coast heading to Melbourne  Australia 

Regards Michael Nebo sm251 

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021, 6:40 pm EricOpdeweegh, <sv.abayomi@...> wrote:

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Regards 

Eric & Els Opdeweegh

sv Abayomi

SM 158

Currently in Holland 

Michael Nebo sm251 

Hi Michael, 

Regards 

Eric & Els Opdeweegh

sv Abayomi

SM 158

Currently in Holland 

Whirlpool jt479 

Michael Nebo sm251 

Peter Forbes

Carango 54-035

Lymington UK

Hi Nick

Thanks and best regards

Ruedi Waldispuehl

SY WASABI

AMEL54 #55

Almerimar

All the best

Nick

S/Y Amelia

AML 54-019 Leros

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.ioOn Behalf Of Kevin Schmit

-- 
Kevin & Kristen Schmit
KIANA
SM #362

--

Best wishes

Peter Forbes

+44 (0) 7836 209730

<20211122_093240.jpg>

<20211122_163117.jpg>