24V Alternator

karkauai

Happy Holidays, everyone.
We are in W Palm Beach, FL after a boisterous sail down from the Chesapeake.  15ft bar at StAugustine with 8-10 ft seas kept us from stopping there.

On the way down the belt on our Yanmar (4JH4HTE) that powers the fresh water pump and 12V alternator broke. We had to remove the 24V alternator belt to replace the broken one. Everything seems back to normal, but since then the 24V alternator isn't producing any charge current. The belt is tight and not slipping, and all wiring at the alternator is snug.  It's a Valeo 60 A 28 V only 2 years old with a Balmar  external regulator.

Any thoughts on how or if the belt issue could have caused this?  Troubleshooting tips?

Thanks on advance.
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

karkauai

The external regulator is a Balmar MC 624
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

There might be a loose wire, probably a wire on the 12v/24v excite relay, or to or from that relay and the 24v alternator. Yours probably doesn't look exactly like this but has these components. Does the 24v alternator self-excite when you quickly throttle up to 1800 RPM?
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 10:13 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The external regulator is a Balmar MC 624
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

karkauai

Thanks Bill,
No, even running at 2400rpm, no joy.

I will chase the excite wire to it's origin (where does it usually originate?) and do a couple of tests of the alternator and regulator that I found in the regulator info.  I'm in a little over my pay grade, but no electricians available anytime soon.

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Kent,

Since what you have is a repowered SM, I am not sure that I can help further without knowing more. I think it is likely that the issue is a loose connection, but could be an internal problem with the alternator, like a blown diode. I am not sure which 24v alternator you have, and that may be the reason for no excitement at high rpm.

Maybe try to locate the small relay shown on the right side of the photo I included...if/when you find it, trace the wires to find the one that goes to the excite connection on your 24v alternator, assuming it has one and does not rely on internal excite.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 8:40 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Bill,
No, even running at 2400rpm, no joy.

I will chase the excite wire to it's origin (where does it usually originate?) and do a couple of tests of the alternator and regulator that I found in the regulator info.  I'm in a little over my pay grade, but no electricians available anytime soon.

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Richard Dallett

Kent and Iris, I am a new Amel owner and am on a mooring off the Palm Beach Sail Club.  I live nearby and have a car.  Let me know if I can help.

Richard Dallett

A54 68