Topics

Crash Bar In Front of Galley Stove

amelliahona...

Hello everyone. My name is Gary Silver. My wife
and I purchased an Amel Super Maramu 2000 through
Joel Potter in May of 2000 and took delivery July 2,
2001. We are extremely pleased with the boat, the
factory, the Amel team, and Joel. Just after delivery in
LaRochelle my family and I sailed across the Bay of Biscay,
down the coast of Spain and Portugal and on to the
Canary Islands. During those passages we had at least
one episode where a crew member was thrown into the
stove (unlit fortunately). All other boats I have
sailed on in the past have had a bar of some sort (aka
Crash Bar) in front of the stove. Does anyone have any
ideas why Amel chose not to do so? Has anyone had
experience with fitting one? Other than this item we
couldn't be happier with our new Maramu. We are looking
forward to meeting many other Amel owners. Sincerely,
Gary & Mary Silver Liahona Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

svmalaika...

Gary,<br>I'm Charlie of Charlie & Ruth Cronheim
on MALAIKA II which was just up the dock from you in
La Rochelle. We are now in Turkey preparing to
winter here.<br>I had the same compliant 18 years ago
with my Maramu and had a bar fixed. Therefore when we
ordered our new Super Maramu 2000 we requested and Amel
fitted a crash bar. As usual, once they do something it
is excellent. They told me they are considering
making it standard, a move I'd strongly recommend. I'm
sure if you ask them to send you a crash bar like the
one they fit on Malaika II they would. It would be
very easy to self install.<br>Our trip to Turkey was a
joy and Malaika II performed flawlessly. We plan to
spend the next several years in the Med, then probably
head stateside.<br>Keep in touch.<br> Charlie

asm283...

amelliahona...

Hi Charlie & Ruth: It is good to hear from you.
Thanks for the advice about the crash bar. Joel Potter
responded also and indicated that Amel has the bar
available for 273 euros installed, perhaps less over the
counter. I will be contacting Olivier. Any other options
that you have found useful? Kindest regards. Gary

svmalaika...

Gary,<br>The only non-Amel options we have
installed are a bit of cabinetry made by M. DeHaro, an Amel
recomended cabinet maker. He made us a couple of bookcases,
some shelves in the hanging lockers, drawers in the
galley "liquor" cabinet and some storage spaces under
the steps and we changed from the standard Amel
electonics to an integrated Raytheon radar/chartplotter/gps
with a second, smaller unit on the bridge. Very
useful. We kept the standard B&G and autopilots. We are
VERY pleased with the boat. She is a delight to sail.
Very easy and manageable by one of us.<br>Charlie

svmalaika...

Vito,<br>See my note to Gary where I described
the modifications we made. <br>After our trip we are
very satisfied with Malaika II and have NO plans for
further modifications. In fact, this is a very strange
time for me. Ruth returned to the US a week or so ago
and I stayed on to get the boat ready for the winter.
In the past this always was a busy time doing long
put off projects. This year, nothing to do. Only
project was getting a full boat cover made. Partially
because she's a new boat, but also because she is as
close to perfect as I can imagine.<br>Charlie

asm283...

Thank you for your reply. Will you live on the
boat during the winter or are you coming back home. I
too am in the process of winterizing my boat. I have
only owned it since July. She is hull # 283. The
shelves over the hanging locker is a good idea I have
been thinking of doing that. Did you mount an SSB on
you vessel. Did you mount it under the Radar? This is
where Amel recomends it be mounted, but I realy like
the Amel logo that is in that space. I was thinking
of having it mouned over the hanging locker next to
the nav station. I would have a cabinet

svmalaika...

Vito,<br>I will return to the US for a month or
two to see family and friends, then back aboard in
February.<br><br>I have an SSB, but since I installed the Raytheon
RL80C combined radar and chart plotter the SSB is
installed in the left hand section where the separate chart
plotter would be. So I still have the Amel
logo.<br><br>The hanging locker shelves are across the back of the
two large lockers. Two shelves in each locker. The
other shelf is over the foul weather gear locker and
makes an excellent place to keep small items without
cluttering the chart table.<br><br>One other items I forgot
to mention is a place to store charts. It is
installed in the companionway flush against the wall
nearest the fuel tank and only sticks out about 4cm (less
than 2 inches). The top third opens and allows easy
access to the charts. It holds a surprising number of
charts. I have about 75 in there now and it isn't

kimberlite1212...

Stephan Regulinski

I have just ordered a crash bar for my Super Maramu 2000 (hull #303),
built to my specifications from a local stainless steel welder here
in Stanta Cruz de Tenerife, Los Canarios. He is charging me 60
euros, about $65, and will deliver it to me in two days from the date
of order. I will install myself.

My design calls for 25mm stainless tubing (same as on rail) welded to
3mm-thick end plates plus two 4mm-thick, threaded backing plates to
receive the bolts which will hold the bar to the cabinetry. The
backing plates are screwed to the back of the plywood cabinat and
hence do not fall down when the bolt holding the crash bar is removed.

This backing-plate design is the same as Amel uses, for example, in
the nav station where the bolts hold the nav station cabinetry in
place. To see the Amel design, remove one of the upper drawers from
the nav station. The brass plate is visible in the bottom of the
cabinate. It is identical to the plate that holds one of the bolts
that pivots the stove.

This is a very simple design, very strong, removable (to allow access
to the dishwasher) and very inexpensive compared to the Amel solution
(which I have not seen).

I am also considering a second crash bar that would swing into place
and lock with a removable pin to separate the galley from the
companionway. We have had two accidents where the person in the
galley was thrown to the nav station. Both times, the nav seat broke
(instead of my wife's or my ribs!).