Topics

Volvo TMD22 RPM problems


rbenven44 <no_reply@...>
 

Hello all,
We hope most of you are out there sailing someplace. We are now
in the Azores, where we sailed to from Portugal, after 5 years in the
Med. Next is Madeira, then Canaries, and Caribbean.
Recently, we have had a problem similar to that from "pagandaisy",
posted in November. Our engine won´t rev past 2000 RPM. We had just
had the injectors service by MAYS in Horta. We have 1670 hours on
the engine, and we have checked all the obvious: clean air intake,
clean fuel and filters, clean prop, new oil in transmission. The
engine goes up to 4000 RPM+ in neutral, but underway, it just stops
at 2000. Throttle linkage is OK, and no black smoke at full throttle.
Any ideas? The best minds in Horta, as well as a diesel mechanic
with submarine experience (a South African sailor) can´t find a
problem.
Thanks for any input, and good sailing to all.
Roy Benveniste, SM Excalibur, #195


asm283 <no_reply@...>
 

--- In amelyachtowners@y..., rbenven44 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
Hello all,
We hope most of you are out there sailing someplace. We are now
in the Azores, where we sailed to from Portugal, after 5 years in
the
Med. Next is Madeira, then Canaries, and Caribbean.
Recently, we have had a problem similar to that
from "pagandaisy",
posted in November. Our engine won´t rev past 2000 RPM. We had
just
had the injectors service by MAYS in Horta. We have 1670 hours on
the engine, and we have checked all the obvious: clean air intake,
clean fuel and filters, clean prop, new oil in transmission. The
engine goes up to 4000 RPM+ in neutral, but underway, it just stops
at 2000. Throttle linkage is OK, and no black smoke at full
throttle.
Any ideas? The best minds in Horta, as well as a diesel
mechanic
with submarine experience (a South African sailor) can´t find a
problem.
Hi I had the same problem with the Perkins Prima wich is basically
the same engine. The solution was to change the injectors. That seems
to have solved the problem. If you had your injectors serviced maybe
they were not serviced correctly. I hope this helps. please post the
solution when you find it.

V C
Thanks for any input, and good sailing to all.
Roy Benveniste, SM Excalibur, #195


pagandaisy <no_reply@...>
 

I can't say I have the definitive solution to the RPM loss, but
essentially mine has been solved (at least to 2800 RPM) thanks to
advice from Selo and a little common sense. First of all the
injectors have to be REPLACED instead of adjusted. Then the pump has
to be adjusted UNDER LOAD. Someone who knows the engine has to do
the latter. The injector change did the most. Both got me from 1800
to 2700. Flushing the engine got me 100 more. I should point out
that I have a standard prop not a folding one. It wasn't the problem
nor was any growth on the hull. I suspect there's still some carbon
buildup. Good luck. Wish I was sailing too. Pagan's in Grenada for
the hurricane season. Incidentally we crossed directly from Madeira
and skipped the Canaries. Arnold


--- In amelyachtowners@y..., asm283 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
--- In amelyachtowners@y..., rbenven44 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
Hello all,
We hope most of you are out there sailing someplace. We are
now
in the Azores, where we sailed to from Portugal, after 5 years in
the
Med. Next is Madeira, then Canaries, and Caribbean.
Recently, we have had a problem similar to that
from "pagandaisy",
posted in November. Our engine won´t rev past 2000 RPM. We had
just
had the injectors service by MAYS in Horta. We have 1670 hours
on
the engine, and we have checked all the obvious: clean air
intake,
clean fuel and filters, clean prop, new oil in transmission. The
engine goes up to 4000 RPM+ in neutral, but underway, it just
stops
at 2000. Throttle linkage is OK, and no black smoke at full
throttle.
Any ideas? The best minds in Horta, as well as a diesel
mechanic
with submarine experience (a South African sailor) can´t find a
problem.
Hi I had the same problem with the Perkins Prima wich is basically
the same engine. The solution was to change the injectors. That
seems
to have solved the problem. If you had your injectors serviced
maybe
they were not serviced correctly. I hope this helps. please post
the
solution when you find it.

V C
Thanks for any input, and good sailing to all.
Roy Benveniste, SM Excalibur, #195


rbenven44 <no_reply@...>
 

Thanks to Arnold (Pagandaisy) and all others for the input on the RPM
problems. Given that we had just had the injectors serviced, I tend
to suspect them, also.
We have cleaned the prop and seen no difference.
So we will continue on our way (2000 RPM is all we need to motor,
anyway), hope for good winds, and take care of the problem elsewhere.

Arnold, where did you have your work done?

We will be in Grenada in mid-to-late January, hope to see you there.

Regards, Roy "Excalibur" SM #195


pagandaisy <no_reply@...>
 

Beware of running too long at 2000. The turbo doesn't cut in until
approximately 2500. I had the bad habit of motoring around 2200 and
thus never engaging the turbo. Guess what? Yeah, it cost me a new
one. Parts and Power in Tortola, the only show in town did the
work. I suppose I can recommend them now that many hours of useless
work later, and much billing, they solved the problem following my
instructions based on Selo's recommendations. Maybe we'll see you
elsewhere. The current plan is to bring Pagan north to the Virgins
in December. Good luck. Arnold

--- In amelyachtowners@y..., rbenven44 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
Thanks to Arnold (Pagandaisy) and all others for the input on the
RPM
problems. Given that we had just had the injectors serviced, I
tend
to suspect them, also.
We have cleaned the prop and seen no difference.
So we will continue on our way (2000 RPM is all we need to motor,
anyway), hope for good winds, and take care of the problem
elsewhere.

Arnold, where did you have your work done?

We will be in Grenada in mid-to-late January, hope to see you there.

Regards, Roy "Excalibur" SM #195