Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Electrial bilge pump SMM 2000

Stephan Regulinski

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Anne and John Hollamby
<hollamby@c...> wrote:
Message text written by INTERNET:amelyachtowners@...
<
May I suggest that drilling or better punching a hole in the
centre of the
upper outlet flap and using a small countersunk machine screw and
nut to
secure a washer or two on top of the flap to weight it down. I
would have
thought that a hacksaw blade would be too strong and be subject to
severe
rusting.

Regards from John Hollamby Bali Hai SM319
Good thinking. Scratch the hacksaw blade, add the washers. So far,
however, my piece of plastic (cut from a wire tie) continues to hold
up nicely and the pump has now worked flawlessly for several weeks.
Apparently, it only needs a little extra "umph" to get it to close
properly.

Anne and John Hollamby <hollamby@...>

Message text written by INTERNET:amelyachtowners@...
<
May I suggest that drilling or better punching a hole in the centre of the
upper outlet flap and using a small countersunk machine screw and nut to
secure a washer or two on top of the flap to weight it down. I would have
thought that a hacksaw blade would be too strong and be subject to severe
rusting.

Regards from John Hollamby Bali Hai SM319

Stephan Regulinski

I had my bilge pump overhauled in La Rochelle by Amel when it stopped
pumping after 2.5 years in service. 6 months later, it failed
again. I disassembled the pump and found the flap problem that
others have described. The flap was in fine shape, it simply failed
to close. Not enough "springy-ness" apparently. To solve this
problem, I inserted a piece of plastic (cut from a plastic wire tie)
behind the flap. This has worked fine so far. If it fails to hold
up, I will probably try a piece of spring steel (a piece of used bi-
metal hack-saw blade should do it). This is a far sight cheaper than
the rebuild kit.

the Lundstroms <linneasail@...>

Ian:

Thank you for the help. Hopefully, we'll not going to have any more problems with the valves for a while.

All the best,

Walter