[Amel Yacht Owners] ICW and mast height

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

We just sailed from Ft. Lauderdale to Charleston South Carolina. We
went outside except for a short span from Beufort, SC northward. I
echo what Joel has said. In addition to all the anxiety about depth,
narrow shallow areas, and bridges be aware that the water will stain
your hull brown. I spent a couple of hours washing (buffing) just 16
hours worth of brown water travel stain from the bow area of the
boat.

That said I would highly recommend a trip up the rivers to Svannah,
Georgia and Beufort, South Carolina. There is a 65 ft fixed bridge
coming north up the river towards Beufort but it can be safely
negotiated as long as at least 5 1/2 boards are seen on the bridge
dolphin (per the Port Royal Marina that lies alongside the bridge).
The tide here is about 7 feet. Beufort was worth the effort.

We enjoyed both of these places immensely.

Regards, Gary Silver Liahona SM 2000 Hull # 335

David Crisp

Hey Joel,

Thanks for the advice - likewise Ian. Have to admit boredom was as
much a concern as clearance under the brodges!

David

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Joel F. Potter"
<jfpottercys@w...> wrote:
Hi David,

Masthead height, not including antenna, is 65' 7" at middle load.
Having
sold many many boats here in Florida that headed North, I can tell
you that
I have never had any client say the I.C.W. was fun on an almost
7' deep,
almost 69' high (with all the antenna) sail boat.

I will pass along the recommendation of one sage client, "save the
I.C.W.
for when you are old and have a trawler. 10% of it is
interesting, 90% of
it is boring, plan on about 70 miles a day, max, and don't EVER
run at
night."

You will not fit under Norfolk, Virginia bridge,

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Joel F. Potter
Super Maramu #400