Topics

Delivery and Crossing

wcreed2 <wcreed2@...>

My name is Bill Reed and I am taking delivery of my Amel on December
15th in La Rochelle. I am sailing it to Guadaloupe and then on to
the states. I am in the process of preparing my packing list and
would appreciate any advice from those that have taken delivery in
La Rochelle and made the crossing. Specifically, I would be
interested in a packing list that breaks down what was procured
prior to departure for France and what was procured in La Rochelle.
Would appreciate any comments on the merits of U.S. documentation
vs. foreign documentation.

Thanks

Bill Reed
Amel SM 2000 "Gallatea"

Bill & Sara Atz <WCZ4455@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "wcreed2" <wcreed2@y...>
wrote:
My name is Bill Reed and I am taking delivery of my Amel on
December
15th in La Rochelle. I am sailing it to Guadaloupe and then on to
the states. I am in the process of preparing my packing list and
would appreciate any advice from those that have taken delivery in
La Rochelle and made the crossing. Specifically, I would be
interested in a packing list that breaks down what was procured
prior to departure for France and what was procured in La
Rochelle.
Would appreciate any comments on the merits of U.S. documentation
vs. foreign documentation.

Thanks

Bill Reed
Amel SM 2000 "Gallatea"
Dear Bill, As real novices at sailing, 4 years ago we picked up
our SM in LaRochelle. To many, our mistakes will seem obvious, but
they may help you. We justify some based on our change of plans,
from sailing around the world to our current plan of staying in the
Caribbean. We have lived aboard here since 4 years ago, when in
October-November we sailed from LaRochelle to the Canaries to St.
Lucia. We shipped a fold-up dinghy to LaRochelle, and bought a 4-
cycle, 8 hp outboard there. We never used either until we got to
St.Lucia. We found 4-cycle outboards are almost impossible to get
repaired in the Caribbean, and a large percentage of the people like
us have a 15 hp 2-cycle engine on a RIB dinghy made in Venezuela (2
companies). We shipped over a Grundig TV (made in Germany,
purchased in the US, and shipped to France) with a VCP (a player,
not a VCR). Both run on 220V or !!0V, and the video player also
runs on 24V DC or 12V DC and plays any cassette made
internationally. Amel wired both to run on our 110V inverter. We
shipped a 24 VDC to 110 VAC, 1000 watt inverter, with outlets, which
Amel wired for us. We shipped a poorly-evaluated cockpit
chartplotter, which Amel wired for us – only later did we realized
that at that time Amel had its own chart plotter at the nav station,
which they consequently just did not install. Ours hasn't worked
for two years, and will be replaced if we decide we need one. Our
changes have been as follows: we quickly replaced the dinghy and
outboard; we have just replaced the VCR and probably soon the TV
(In our opinion, there are few if any decent TV shows in the
Caribbean except on marina cable in Trinidad.) We are replacing our
inverter with a hard-wired 1800 watt version this week. If we
could have had a choice, it would have been nice to have Amel supply
a Spade anchor (made in Tunesia, a French country) instead of the
Amel modified CQR – we didn't know about Spade then.
In case some of this sounds negative, I would like to add that
in four years we have not seen a single boat that we would have
accepted in trade for our Amel. Some things don't change as you
progress along your learning curve.
Best wishes for you and your new Amel.
Bill on S/V Lady Sadie, currently in Trinidad
for hurricane season

Bill & Sara Atz <WCZ4455@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Bill & Sara Atz"
wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention another important group of purchases. We
shipped our goods to France by boat, so we included inflatatble
PFD's and our Man-Overboard-Module. We asked Amel to purchase a
life raft for us, without giving them any specifications. They
purchased an 8-passenger Plastimo life raft. It was so heavy that
my wife and I together could barely lift it IN the safety locker,
let alone think of getting it OUT of the locker in bad conditions.
We never have more than 4 persons aboard, and usually only 2
persons. Our new 4-passenger life raft meets our needs much better.
Fair winds and fine wines, Bill on S/V Lady Sadie

Stephan Regulinski

Bill,

Here are a few thoughts:

(1) 110 vs 220. If you want to enjoy the benefits of lower prices
in the US for computer gear and such, you ought to consider a 24v to
110v pure sine wave inverter. I bought one from WM and had Amel
install in the wet locker. It cost $600 or $700 as I recall and has
allowed me to acquire a CD burner and printer (among other things) in
the US for my laptop at half the cost of one in the MED. This also
has the advantage that when we sell the boat, all the electronics
will still be usefull when we return to the states.

(2) If you are shipping by sea, you can ship hazardous materials
that cannot be shipped by air. These items include all inflatable
stuff (life raft, inflatable life jackets, MOM8 or equivalent, etc.),
flares, and so forth.

(3) If you are shipping by sea, note that most companies charge by
the cubic meter not by the pound. Hence shipping dense stuff makes
sense. I shipped all the tools that I thought would be useful, two
dingies, two outboards, two spare anchors, etc, etc on up to about 11
cubic meters!

(4) Why ship so much stuff? VAT in France runs just under 20% and
prices on a lot of stuff starts out higher than in the US.
(Particularly if you are buying with a West Marine new boat card [ask
Joel Potter]). Once I decided to go by sea, it made sense to
provision the entire boat that way. However, pay attention to the
shipping schedule. You will need to allow at least six weeks off the
West Coast, less from the East.

(5) Note that the Amel comes with a lot of stuff that you may think
you have to buy for yourself. For example, it comes with fenders,
docklines, dingy inflation pump, two hair driers (!), one boosun's
chair, one vacuum cleaner, etc. etc. I wound up returning a bunch of
stuff to WM.

(6) If you want more chain, get it in La Rochelle. It needs to
match the windlass. Further, spare parts for anchoring gear should
be bought to fit the chain, so get them in La Rochelle.

(7) In California, I was able to avoid state sales tax on big-ticket
items by having the vendor ship to my shipping company. Thus the
dinghy and outboards went directly to the shipper.

(8) Amel will give you the name of an import agent that will help
with clearing customs. I found this person very helpful.

Good luck,

Stephan (Delos SMM #303)