Topics

trip around the horn

kimberlite1212 <no_reply@...>

Does anyone know of an amel that has made the trip around the horn?
secondly what do you do on a s/m when the wind get above 45 knots.
thnaks
eric
sm 376 kimberlite

Stephan Regulinski

Eric,

We have been in 45+ winds on several occasions. Upwind, we are
happiest with our ATN storm jib plus a little mizzen to balance the
sail plan. If you use the Genoa in these conditions you will have to
reef pretty deep and the sail shape not so good. Off the wind, we
have used the ATN and at other times, the genoa reefed to whatever
point it takes to keep boat speed in control. Both work. A note on
the ATN storm gib. Like reefing, put this sail up when you first
think about it. It is a little uncomfortable attaching this sail in
heavy weather.

Stephan ("Delos" SMM303)

--- In amelyachtowners@..., kimberlite1212
<no_reply@y...> wrote:
Does anyone know of an amel that has made the trip around the horn?
secondly what do you do on a s/m when the wind get above 45 knots.
thnaks
eric
sm 376 kimberlite

resolute56s

Hi, new to the forum...

My father, brother and myself sailed our 1983 Maramu Resolute from
Alaska to Cape Horn and back in 1998-2000. Our website is
www.paonline.com/resolute

For heavy weather we had a removable solent stay about 3 feet aft of
the forestay that we flew either a 70% working jib or storm jib
depending on wind strength. This jib sheets to the main genoa track,
which we had added a second car to on each side. We felt an atn gale
sail would be ok for the tropics but insufficient for the southern
ocean, and on the passage from tahiti to chile were very glad for the
hanked jibs. Our maramu did great downwind with just the working jib
or storm jib in a gale. We never sailed upwind in over 35 knots of
wind, but would probably go with the working jib and mizzen, then
reef the mizzen, then go to storm jib and mizzen if really hard
pressed.

By the way, we rounded the horn on jan 4, 2000. 2 weeks later an
italian sharki rounded, and about 3 weeks later a swedish super
maramu rounded. At least 1 amel has been to the antarctic. Lots of
amels down there!!

Ben Westley

PS Our boat is former excalibur, owned by roy benveniste. I know he
used to frequent this site.