From: Stephan Regulinski [mailto:stephreg@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 1:50 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: trip around the horn

Eric,

We have been in 45+ winds on several occasions. Upwind, we are
happiest with our ATN storm jib plus a little mizzen to balance the
sail plan. If you use the Genoa in these conditions you will have to
reef pretty deep and the sail shape not so good. Off the wind, we
have used the ATN and at other times, the genoa reefed to whatever
point it takes to keep boat speed in control. Both work. A note on
the ATN storm gib. Like reefing, put this sail up when you first
think about it. It is a little uncomfortable attaching this sail in
heavy weather.

Stephan ("Delos" SMM303)

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, kimberlite1212
<no_reply@y...> wrote:
Does anyone know of an amel that has made the trip around the horn?
secondly what do you do on a s/m when the wind get above 45 knots.
thnaks
eric
sm 376 kimberlite

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cnf3v6q/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=eg
roupweb/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1070477418/A=1524963/R=0/*http:/hits.411web.
com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674∝=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=925097335>

kimberlite <kimberlt@...>

I forgot to ask-where are you located?
Eric

I have the ATN sail and as you mentioned it is a little cumbersome.
Next time I will keep it in the cockpit locker instead of the sail
locker. It gets a little wet up there.
I had my sailmaker add a foam luff and UV protection to my genoa. The
foam luff makes a big difference when the sail is furled,
Fair winds,
Eric SM 376 Kimberlite.

<no_reply@y...> wrote:
Does anyone know of an amel that has made the trip around the horn?
secondly what do you do on a s/m when the wind get above 45 knots.
thnaks
eric
sm 376 kimberlite

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cnf3v6q/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=eg
roupweb/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1070477418/A=1524963/R=0/*http:/hits.411web.
com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674∝=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=925097335>

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cjdmopp/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg
roupweb/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1070503361/A=1853618/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.
com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=755658269>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

Stephan Regulinski

Eric,

I forgot to add something you may already know about being poled out
in heavy weather. Although you can reef the genoa down to a scrap
while still poled out, there is the danger that pole will get dipped
in the ocean as you role. This has happened to me twice and it
results in the pole being thrown violently back alongside the boat
(chipping the gelcoat on the rub rail). The violent motion is a like
an accidental jibe.

Amel says that you can raise the pole about a meter as weather
deteriates and can cleat the foreguy (the blue line) on the cleat
just aft of the Lewmar turning block. This reduces the length of the
line from pole to cleat and therefore the length of stretch thus
reducing the chance of the pole being thrown back. I have yet to try
this second idea. Our procedure now is to raise the pole and if roll
worsens, bring the pole to the rail and fly the genoa without the
pole.

We like having the pole attached but alongside in bad weather as it
makes a heavy-duty hand rail if you need to go up to the mast.
Another Amel owner told me that he would attach his poles in heavy
weather for just this purpose, whether or not he intended to pole out.

We just sailed from The Gambia to Cape Verdes. I am in Amsterdam on
business and when I return, we cross the Atlantic to St. Vincent. We
spent the last three plus years since buying Delos in the Med,
Atlantic cost of Europe, various Atlantic islands and some of West
Africa.

Where are you now? Are you headed for the horn?

Stephan

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, kimberlite <kimberlt@o...>

<no_reply@y...> wrote:
Does anyone know of an amel that has made the trip around the
horn?
secondly what do you do on a s/m when the wind get above 45 knots.
thnaks
eric
sm 376 kimberlite

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cnf3v6q/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=
eg
roupweb/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1070477418/A=1524963/R=0/*http:/hits.411we
b.
com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674¢ç=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<no_reply@y...> wrote:
[...]

Philippe Guyot <baligand@...>

Hello Eric & Stephan,

Very interesting discussion.Could Eric let
me know what a foam luff is. I also added an UV protection to the genoa but
it seems that the added weight make the luff vibrate a lot in 25 Knots + and
inascapabily so when reefed. But I must admit this was already the case
before only it took higher wind. No amount of fine tuning the sail has
helped alleviate the problem. Have you experienced the same problem and
found solutions.

We are currently at Fort Lauderdale and will
be headed for Central America and Panama.

Philippe Guyot
Baligand SM 245

<no_reply@y...> wrote:
[...]

Dear Philippe,
The foam luff is simply that. The sailmaker sews foam into the luff of
the sail. This allows the sail to be furled with a better shape.
I had it done by Doyle Sailmakers. There is a Doyle loft in Ft.
Lauderdale.
Fair winds,
Eric

<no_reply@y...> wrote:
[...]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cpv7rkk/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg
roupweb/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1070614284/A=1853618/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.
com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=174657268>

Geoffrey Tyers <geoffrey_tyers@...>

While delivering my recently aquired Sharki from
Florida to Charleston the main sail, 50% reefed in a
I35-40 kt squall was ripped and shredded. This came as
a surprise as the Surveyor had prononced the sail to
be in good condition.
I mention this to restate the need for U.V. protection
not only on the head sail but also on the leech of
both the Main and Mizzen. Upon investigation it was
determined that the wide throat in the mast allows the
sun to weaken that part of the sail exposed and whilst
the bulk of the sail is protected the leach is slowly
being rotted away. In my case the leach ripped and the
strong winds took over from this weakness. The bright
side is I now have a wonderfull new main for less than
2 "boat units". They even installed the logo

<no_reply@y...> wrote:
Does anyone know of an amel that has made the
trip around the
horn?
secondly what do you do on a s/m when the wind
get above 45 knots.
thnaks
eric
sm 376 kimberlite

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cnf3v6q/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=
eg
roupweb/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1070477418/A=1524963/R=0/*http:/hits.411we
b.
com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=925097335>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Terms of
Service.

removed]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

=== message truncated ===

kimberlite <kimberlt@...>

Dear Stephan,
Thanks for the note. A friend of mine on another Amel was thinking pf
ordering shorter poles just to prevent them from dipping.

My boat is currently in St Thomas.
I have been toying with the idea of a trip around the horn, but I have
to do my homework first.

I found that a gennaker was very handy sail for the trade winds. The
wind comes from a direction that does not lend itself to using the pole
setup. We had our gennaker up for 6 or 7 days while crossing the
Atlantic both day and night. We had an atn sock on it and it allowed us
to douse the sail quickly if needed. We use that sail a lot. It is big
enough to pull the boat without any other sails up. It is made of 1
½-ounce material and can be flown up to 25 knots apparent.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c9fmluk/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg
roupweb/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1070528680/A=1853618/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.
com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=605222758>

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

Hi Stephan,

interesting to read that you too get wet sails when stowed up front. When I arrived in Greenland after a lively crossing from Ireland, I found several inches of water in the forward lockers. I just do not believe that those thin walled seals that crush too easily and which have folds in the corners are man enough for the job. They may keep the rain out, but when the bow buries itself into a wave, they just cannot cope. I have removed the bung in the port side locker to minimize the problem, though this will comprise flotation, though with the seals as they are, I wonder how much real buoyancy there would be if the bow was submerged?

I have emailed Amel and suggested that a firmer molded seal is needed on the bow lockers, and the safety locker too, but so far, no response. If anyone has found a solution to this problem, then please let us know.

Fortunately, the colours on the new ballooner and staysail do not seem to run when wet like they did with the previous boat. Putting a grate in each locker would at least keep the stowed items out of the water that sloshes about.

Ian Shepherd

SM 2000 # 414 "Crusader"

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

Hi Again,

I always keep the poles rigged when under way. You are right, they do offer a lot of security when folded. When single handed, you just cannot go overboard, and they bridge the gap between the fore guy and the dodger hand hold very well.

I too had a pole fold in mid Atlantic on the previous boat. It did not damage the rub rail, but it did break the rivets. Luckily I did have spare large rivets and a gun that would form them, and I was able to make repairs very quickly. Had I not, it would have made a grim crossing.

Another point to consider is the sideways load on the mast when a single pole is deployed. In can be considerable, particularly in gusts or when the pole strikes the water. It might be prudent to rig both poles to offset the sideways load for peace of mind. Unfortunately, the genoa sheets as supplied by Amel are too short to do this unless you furl the headsail a bit. I replaced my sheets with a longer set (158-160 feet long if I remember correctly. 10 ft more per side). This will enable both poles to be deployed at the same time. It also makes gybing down a zig zag course very straight forward!

The idea of using the forward cleat to reduce fore guy stretch is interesting. I must try that. Thanks for the tip.

Ian Shepherd

"Crusader"

kimberlite <kimberlt@...>

Dear Ian,
How do you rig the poles when they are not deployed.
what do you do besides using the hook on the end of the pole?
Fair winds,
Eric
SM 376 kimberlite

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c04pie8/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg
roupweb/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1070832810/A=1853618/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.
com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116732> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1853618/rand=372566928>

kimberlite <kimberlt@...>

Dear Ben,
Thank you very much for the info.
How was the solent stay rigged. What did you attach it to and how did
you strengthen the deck and below deck fittings?
Did you install running backstays?
Thanks A lot.
Fair winds,
Eric