Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] espar heater

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

Hi Eric,

I can't tell you the BTU output as I am in Cyprus at the moment, but the unit is mounted in the port side cockpit up and under the horizontal part upon which the winches are mounted. So you don't see it, and it does not rob you of any useful storage space, though caution is needed as it can get hot.

Later boats have the air intake in the rope box in front of the mizzen. Earlier boats have a flap in the cockpit sidewall above the seat. This was a pain as it is easy to forget to open it before firing the Espar up. The result was overheating and an automatic shutdown.

To retrofit one of these units may prove very difficult when it comes to installing the ducting around the boat. I remember that Amel specified a deadline by which I had to specify a diesel heater during construction. I am glad that I chose it. It was worth it's weight in gold whilst in Greenland and Labrador.

Good luck

Ian

SM2000 "Crusader"

kimberlite <kimberlt@...>

Dear Ian,
Thanks for the note. I thought you were on your way to Chile.
I had Amel install the fresh air system and the fan is in the location
of your heater in the port locker.
So I have the necessary ductwork. I have my air intake above the seat.
If anyone has the heater with the intake in the rope locker I would love
to see some photos.
When do you get back to the boat?
Fair winds,
Eric

When you are back on board can you send me some photos and also photos
of the diesel plumbing.

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cssp3lg/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=eg
roupweb/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1071570365/A=1853619/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.
com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=:HM/A=1853619/rand=948729608>

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

Hi Eric,

sounds like you are most of the way there if you have the ducting already in place. I guess you have the stainless pipe through the aft heads too? It makes for a good towel heater. The fuel piping is routed down the engine room rear bulkhead and is T'd into the outlet from the Racor filter. On later boats, the Espar intake pipe is molded through the rear of the port side seat locker into the rope box. You lose a small amount of storage space in the locker, but the overall gain is a better looking cockpit and no worries about not opening the intake flap before starting the heater. There is also less risk of sea water getting down the intake too if you use it underway.

I shall be fitting a carbon monoxide detector soon. I believe that they are available for about $50 from Wal-Mart in Canada, and of a good design. A friend of mine is bringing me one back. He is a GA pilot and has fitted these units into several aircraft. Once I know the make and model number, I will circulate it here.

I am not sure when I will get back sailing. Yes I was on my way from Newfoundland south to Panama but I have suffered a major setback (again). I won't go into details on here for the moment, but if you send me your email address to g4ljf@winlink.org I will update you on my sailing plans.

Cheers

Ian