From: Anne and John Hollamby [mailto:hollamby@compuserve.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 1:34 PM
To: amelyachtowners
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Fuel capacity

Can anyone comment on the adequacy of the 600ltr fuel tank for long range
sailing, say for transoceanic trips lasting 2-4 weeks?

John and Anne Bali Hai SM 2000

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cqhha8b/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065792:HM/EXP=1074278036/A=1945638/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178383&;partid=4116730> click here
<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1945638/rand=946163855>

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

Anne and John Hollamby <hollamby@...>

Dear Ian and Judy,
Thanks for your advice. If, as and when we do another ocean voyage, we
shall carry a lot of spare fuel in cans in the big locker to the port side
of the cockpit which should weight on the weather rail in the trade winds.
This would be possible as we have altered the lifelines on the transom to
take a cradle for our life raft. See the photo in the Bali Hai album.
We have never tried to fill the tank completely as we have yet to go long
distance so we cannot comment on that point. I suppose we are very
conscious of the risk of an overflow as our Oyster used to overflow over
the teak deck as well as sucking sea water in through the breather pipe
when motor sailing to sail closer on port tack in strong winds and seas.(
We altered the plumbing pretty quickly after getting rid of the water out
of the injection pump, luckily the water only got through after the boat
had been standing in harbour overnight).
There are times when I think that I have made a mistake in reading the
dipstick or in my arithmetic when the tank takes more than it should but on
the other hand it may be an optimistic meter on the fuel tanker!

Best wishes from Malta, Anne and John Bali Hai
SM2000/319

Anne and John Hollamby <hollamby@...>

Message text written by INTERNET:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<
Hi Ian and also Michael Glass,
Thanks for your comments. I certainly concur about having spare fuel in
case of mishap having been on two ocean racers which lost their rigs and
only carried a tiny amount of fuel to save weight!

Regards and best wishes, Anne and John.
Bali Hai, SM2000 319

kimberlt <kimberlt@...>

Dear Ann & John,
I also printed out a chart converting Liters to gallons and imperial
gallons which I have laminated and stuck under the lid where the fuel
fill is located- it reads in reverse- if the dip stick reads x liters
you need to add y gallons.
When we fill I also station someone at the overfill as you can hear the
tank getting full.

Here is part of a note I sent to Ian & Judy,
We carry 260 gallons of diesel on a passage. 160 in the main tank 50
gallons in a nauta tank and 50 gallons in Gerry cans both in the port
locker. As soon as we use up the first 50 gallons, we empty the nauta
tank and put more stuff in the port locker from the stern. I hooked up a
24-volt transfer pump to empty out the nauta tank, and use a cheap $5.00
siphon pump for the Gerry cans. Much neater than trying to aim a can at
a moving funnel.
We have the 100 hp yanmar engine.

What did you use to fasten your mizzen traveler control lines to in the
cockpit?
Fair winds,
Eric Freedman
Kimberlite SM 376